Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

usflyer msp

Re: MSP - Role In DL Network and Expansion Potential

Wed May 24, 2017 10:15 pm

11725Flyer wrote:
klm617 wrote:
Delta is way stronger in Europe than iit is in Asia and the scope of the ICN hub will never be what AMS and CDG are.

Perhaps today. But you lack the vision to understand where DL is headed in the next few years with multiple hubs and the KE JV. I was hoping you'd stay on the DTW thread, but now you're churning out pretty silly arguments and statements on this thread, too.

This. MSP/DTW-AMS o/d was basically nothing 25 years ago and now they both have 3-5 daily flights thanks to the JV. ICN will see similar results...

alfa164

Wed May 24, 2017 10:41 pm

11725Flyer wrote:
klm617 wrote:
Delta is way stronger in Europe than iit is in Asia and the scope of the ICN hub will never be what AMS and CDG are.

Perhaps today. But you lack the vision to understand where DL is headed in the next few years with multiple hubs and the KE JV. I was hoping you'd stay on the DTW thread, but now you're churning out pretty silly arguments and statements on this thread, too.

Churning out silly arguments is his/her/its role on A.net. :roll: I don't see how he/she/it can argue that Detroit should have two daily flights DTW-ICN, but Minneapolis can't support one MSP-ICN route. Both hubs rely on connections for a majority of their traffic, and the flexibility of one flight at each - rather than two at only one airport - make for a much more flexible operation.

But talking sense to a troll never works out.....

klm617

Wed May 24, 2017 11:04 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
klm617 wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

I have seen the data. Given the size of the hub and the local markets, MSP could support a flight to TYO and ICN just fine. There is a hub on both sides with ICN and MSP. There is no reason with all the connections and the local market MSP couldnt support both.

I do think that MSP-TYO should have stayed at NRT. A daytime slot would have been better given to DTW because DTW-Japan is a much larger local market than MSP-Japan. But that isnt here or there. With connections, MSP-ICN would have no problem being a viable flight on a 787 or 777.

please post that data what is the O/D counts for DTW, SEA ,ATL and MSP to ICN

As you wish:

ATL-ICN: 257 PDEW
SEA-ICN: 205 PDEW
DTW-ICN: 78 PDEW
MSP-ICN: 30 PDEW

As an added bonus, here is O&D to Japan:

SEA-Japan: 225 PDEW
DTW-Japan: 188 PDEW
MSP-Japan: 92 PDEW
Atlanta-Japan: 74 PDEW

Thank you so much for posting these numbers it is much appreciated. What really is mind boggling is with that kind of O/D between ATL-ICN why Delta never started that route before. Perhaps it was a very low yielding market.

ASQ400

Thu May 25, 2017 12:22 am

ILUVDC10S wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
Why are you people so butt-hurt over anything involving DL, NW, DTW, MSP, ATL, DC-10s, FNT, 744s, DC-9s?

This thread got stupid quick.

Let me answer this for you:
DL - Because they hate DTW.
NW - Representation of the good ol' days (coming from an NW fanboy no less)
DTW - Always getting shafted for ATL.
MSP - See NW and DTW responses.
ATL - Super-massive black word of the Delta network sucking up all the good route opportunities.
DC-10s - Not a twin, not a quad, just right.
FNT - Needs water and hourly service to every paved runway in the Detroit.
744s - Because 747.
DC-9s - Because when will Northwest retire them? Also because JT8 is bae.

LOVE IT !
Thing is between FNT & DTW for the next 15-20 years the entire stretches of i-75 and US-23 will be torn up and redone leaving you gridlock for the E Michigan arteries Unless you take 69 W to Fowlerville then cut across to I 96 then head back east to 696 to 275 to 94 you may as well fly out of LAN instead crikey !
DL take heed FNT needs DTW flights for 20 years so get with it DL buckle up and produce flights for FNT.
Otherwise you are going to have many people and crew missing flights then whatcha gonna do ?

You realize this was sarcasm, right? FNT to DTW is a dumb route. At 60 miles, even gridlock can't justify a regular flight. Not like either city has the economy to make the flights profitable. In any case, there are enough empty flats in Detroit for all of Flint to move in. If the gridlock bothers you, move to Detroit for cheap.
klm617 wrote:
Flighty wrote:
klm617 wrote:

The places in Asia where MSP originating traffic needs to get to already have one-stop connections over SEA so a MSP-ICN link would really be redundant in the grand scheme of things.

SEA cannot replace what Korean offers at ICN. It replaces a piece of it, once per day. All major markets are "redundant in the grand scheme of things," quite true, but I would think MSP's unique network times ICN's unique network gives a certain amount of business that SEA doesn't serve well. This is why multiple hubs exist and why A380 is not so popular in USA.

You can't tell me with a straight face that there is that many MSP originating passengers that are traveling to MNL, TPE, SIN and BKK to warrant a nonstop from MSP to ICN to give these passenger one stop service. The KE JV killed any chance of MSP getting anymore Asia service as it killed the chance of DTW-HKG happening as KE can handle that traffic very effectively from all the major markets that Delta want's to target with quicker service to Asia

How is connecting with KE at ICN so different from connecting with DL at NRT? One was the past, the other will be the future, and the network offering out of ICN would actually be better.
Ah, yes. NRT was a piece of NW's network, which makes it a magical hub with puppies and rainbows that make all the flights profitable, and make the old planes new again. Now that DL is here, the planes are old, but NW magic will always apply to NW hubs

Cubsrule

Thu May 25, 2017 12:49 am

klm617 wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
klm617 wrote:

please post that data what is the O/D counts for DTW, SEA ,ATL and MSP to ICN

As you wish:

Thank you so much for posting these numbers it is much appreciated. What really is mind boggling is with that kind of O/D between ATL-ICN why Delta never started that route before. Perhaps it was a very low yielding market.

I suspect the issue is more one of double ticketing at ATL. The Japan-Korea disparity is otherwise tough to explain. Merto Atlanta has a decent Korean population, but not that large.

usflyer msp

Thu May 25, 2017 1:18 am

Cubsrule wrote:
klm617 wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

As you wish:

I suspect the issue is more one of double ticketing at ATL. The Japan-Korea disparity is otherwise tough to explain. Merto Atlanta has a decent Korean population, but not that large.

I suspect ATL-ICN has a larger catchment area than most flights from ATL. It draws Koreans from all over the Southeast; may of whom will pay extra money to fly KE and not have to transfer anywhere. It is the preferred route for the Koreans I know in BNA and BHM; they just drive to ATL, spend the night and leave their cars at a hotel.

jrkmsp

Thu May 25, 2017 1:48 am

klm617 wrote:
klakzky123 wrote:
klm617 wrote:

For the same reason MSP is not linked to MEX,FCO and FRA. AMS and CDG are way bigger players in the Delta system than ICN is.

CDG and AMS are hubs that provide connections to Europe in the same way that ICN would provide connections to much of Asia. I don't understand what MEX, FCO or FRA have to do with this. None of those are hubs like AMS, CDG (and eventually ICN).

MEX serves the same function as ICN does only for Central and South America so if ICN is a given in everybody's mind shouldn't MEX carry the same weight. FCO is an AZ hub that distributes traffic throughout Europe and FRA is a business powerhouse in Europe. ICN is no CDG or AMS either at this point it's a very secondary hub that to reach quite a bit of Asia it's out of the way. ICN is not feasible for connecting Japan or China to US markets and that traffic is flowing over DTW and SEA which makes a ICN link even less important. You guys are making ICN this hub that is going to connect all of Asia to the USA it is mainly going to be used to link BKK, HKG,SIN,MNL and TPE to the major markets in the USA AMS and CDG have a much broader scope than ICN will ever have in the Delta network.

In applying for the DL/AM JV, Delta listed MSP-MEX as one of the routes the JV would enable. So, MEX perfectly illustrates the point that a DL/KE JV will likely lead to an MSP-ICN flight.

Cubsrule

Thu May 25, 2017 1:55 am

usflyer msp wrote:
I suspect ATL-ICN has a larger catchment area than most flights from ATL. It draws Koreans from all over the Southeast; may of whom will pay extra money to fly KE and not have to transfer anywhere. It is the preferred route for the Koreans I know in BNA and BHM; they just drive to ATL, spend the night and leave their cars at a hotel.

That's likely also part of it, but the Korean populations in Nashville and Birmingham are not large. I'm skeptical that we can explain the whole unusually large market that way. But, what you describe and what I describe are really two sides of the same coin: passengers without an Asia nonstop who find that the easiest way to Korea (or beyond) is driving to ATL (your folks) or flying to ATL (my folks) and then taking KE onward from there.

The evolution of the market as DL and KE integrate may help us understand how much double ticketing is or isn't going on, as the JV will likely reduce double ticketing.
Last edited by Cubsrule on Thu May 25, 2017 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

jrkmsp

Thu May 25, 2017 1:57 am

MSPSXMFLIER wrote:
klakzky123 wrote:
Zidane wrote:
Would further expansion into the Caribbean from MSP make sense? I would think that Delta and Sun Country may as well give it a try.

I'm not sure how much more expansion they can do. SY announced a seasonal Aruba flight so they're already attempting destinations that are traditionally more European than American. MSP has a very comprehensive set of direct flights to the Caribbean and Mexico.

I respectfully disagree with the 'direct flights' portion of your last sentence. I started vacationing in various parts of Mexico and the Caribbean, almost 20 years ago. Up until NW's demise, I could fly them nonstop from MSP to Cancun and San Juan. Ever since Delta's purchase of NW, on those occasions where I've gone to DL's website and looked for direct flights to those cities (and others), I have only seen flights listed that require a stop in ATL. To be fair about this, DL may offer a limited number of nonstop flights, but I've never come across them.....perhaps they filled up quickly and first? I fly SY regularly to more Caribbean destinations now than were ever served by NW. I choose SY over DL because I know my flights will be nonstop from MSP. In the wintertime with unpredictable storms being a potential issue that can affect vast swaths of the country, flying nonstop out of MSP to Mexico or the Caribbean is of immeasurable value to me. United, American, Spirit and Southwest will all route me through one of their hubs. SY is a great airline that I enjoy flying and I'm very glad they have added Aruba to their destinations. Would I like to see a few more Caribbean destinations? Yeah, sure. Do I think it's going to happen? Probably not or very slowly, at best.

With only a couple of exceptions, Aruba and Huatulco among them, Delta matches every destination SY flies to Mexico and the Caribbean. Both fly year-round to CUN, then seasonally to CZM, MZT, SJD, GCM, ZLO, MBJ, NAS, SXM, SJU, PVR and PUJ at least. At the high season, DL flies 3-5x daily to CUN, including on an A333.

LAXdude1023

Thu May 25, 2017 3:49 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

That's likely also part of it, but the Korean populations in Nashville and Birmingham are not large. I'm skeptical that we can explain the whole unusually large market that way. But, what you describe and what I describe are really two sides of the same coin: passengers without an Asia nonstop who find that the easiest way to Korea (or beyond) is driving to ATL (your folks) or flying to ATL (my folks) and then taking KE onward from there.

The evolution of the market as DL and KE integrate may help us understand how much double ticketing is or isn't going on, as the JV will likely reduce double ticketing.

This is a piece of the puzzle. But, a couple of things to point out.

-The Korean community in Atlanta is actually very large. The Korean communities in Nashville and Birmingham are not.
-Georgia has a ton of business ties with Korea. The Atlanta area has 70 Korean owned companies there which is quite large.
-Atlanta is the number 4 spot in the US for Korean growth (not by percentage, but by sheer number) after LA, NYC, and DC.

Atlanta's Korean community and business ties cannot be discounted. Its their number one international market after all.

FSDan

Thu May 25, 2017 4:02 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
ATL-ICN is the fifth biggest US-ICN market after LAX, NYC, WAS, and Bay Area.

I'm actually surprised that WAS-ICN is bigger than ATL-ICN. There must be a fair amount of WAS-ICN traffic that connects somewhere on the way given that WAS only has a single daily flight on KE to ICN.

Out of interest, do you know what the O&D numbers are for MSP to all of East Asia minus Japan?

lavalampluva

Thu May 25, 2017 4:04 pm

alfa164 wrote:
Churning out silly arguments is his/her/its role on A.net. :roll: I don't see how he/she/it can argue that Detroit should have two daily flights DTW-ICN, but Minneapolis can't support one MSP-ICN route. Both hubs rely on connections for a majority of their traffic, and the flexibility of one flight at each - rather than two at only one airport - make for a much more flexible operation.

Slightly off topic, but there are some, on a.net, who will never be happy until DL de-hubs JFK and shifts all international operations to DTW.

alfa164

Thu May 25, 2017 4:47 pm

lavalampluva wrote:
alfa164 wrote:

Slightly off topic, but there are some, on a.net, who will never be happy until DL de-hubs JFK and shifts all international operations to DTW.

One, at least... :roll:

Although I think he/she/it expects Delta to de-hub ATL as well...after all, we all know he/she/it deserves a non-stop to any favorite destination! :lol:

fsafsx

Sat May 27, 2017 10:44 pm

Another perfect MSP tread ruined by DTW people. I'm angry!

ASQ400

Sat May 27, 2017 10:48 pm

fsafsx wrote:

Such a shame, since MSP is actually a really well-positioned hub. It needs more Asia and Europe connections, though.
Maybe as penance for their behavior, we can take away DTW's TPAC service and give it to MSP once the A359 enters service

LAXdude1023

Sun May 28, 2017 1:05 am

ASQ400 wrote:
fsafsx wrote:

Such a shame, since MSP is actually a really well-positioned hub. It needs more Asia and Europe connections, though.
Maybe as penance for their behavior, we can take away DTW's TPAC service and give it to MSP once the A359 enters service

I know you're joking but that would be monumentally stupid. DTW-Asia is both much larger and much higher yielding than MSP-Asia.

ASQ400

Sun May 28, 2017 3:05 am

LAXdude1023 wrote:
ASQ400 wrote:
fsafsx wrote:

I know you're joking but that would be monumentally stupid. DTW-Asia is both much larger and much higher yielding than MSP-Asia.

I know. DTW still has more O&D, and quicker connecting flights to the East Coast.

jplatts

Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:07 am

Cointrin330 wrote:
Just flew into and out of MSP for the first time in a long time and it got me wondering what the future lies for this airport, which has remained a key element in the Delta Air Lines network since the DL/NW merger. Believe MSP is Delta's third largest hub with around 420-440 daily departures (with ATL and DTW being #1 and #2).

Curious whether future international expansion is possible or likely (DL and other airlines) and what the biggest projects on the horizon are for the airport.

Delta does need the MSP hub for access to destinations in the Prairie Provinces of Canada and access to other destinations in the Upper Midwest, but competitors could add nonstops to additional markets out of MSP.

Southwest Airlines might be able to further expand at MSP by adding nonstop service from MSP to destinations that it does not currently serve nonstop from MSP, and here is a link to that discussion:
https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1364985

There is also the possibility of Frontier, Spirit, and/or Sun Country expanding from MSP to additional markets that these airlines do not currently serve nonstop out of MSP.

Taco2sDay

Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:43 am

While many think MSP is a bit far north to be a "true east - west" connecting hub...

MSP does offer many high dollar O&D passengers with the multiple Fortune 500 companies located in the Twin Cities. Also, their is not a "significant" LCC threat. Sure, Sun Country is there, but like Sourhwest, they are a gnat or mosquito, just a nuisance.

MSP also offer connections to some MW cities that AA hadn't discovers yet (watch out for this as AA is turning DFW and ORD into the underserved Midwest cities next best friend - Kirby at UA is watching, so pay attention).

SteveXC500

Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:03 am

DL has lost share over the past several years at MSP. Not long ago, they held 75% of the passengers, annually, including regional partners. YTD for 2017, DL is at 69%. AA, SY, and WN hold another roughly 21%. It may not seem like WN and SY can do much, but they show growth each year in passenger count at MSP.

KGRB

Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:20 pm

DTWLUVER wrote:
Maybe begin service at OSH to MSP I do believe there is enough demand to do 1-2 flights a day from OSH.. And yes even though there is service from ATW there is still need for OSH to have service.

I used to live in Oshkosh. You can make it from downtown Oshkosh to ATW in 20-25 minutes. And if you live in Fond du Lac or anywhere south of there, it makes more sense to drive to MKE. ATW and GRB already cannibalize each other; no need to add a third Fox Valley airport to the mix. There's a reason why Great Lakes/UAX pulled out of OSH when the EAS subsidy was removed about 15 years ago.

Elementalism

Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:02 pm

MSP has a unique combination of high wages but lower cost of living. The weather sucks in the Winter but is great the other 8 months of the year. That article about Delta dropping the Rome route in favor of Honolulu is so Minnesotan. We nearly all go south\warm weather vacation once a winter. If we are lucky, we do it twice.

lavalampluva

Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:13 pm

MSP expansion has increase above average for 2016/17. IMO it has plateaued for this year. Probably see the next expansion spike Summer 2018.

Another topic - I'm surprised that 4B hasn't added anything more than TVF. Seems to be a waste to have an a/c fly back and forth 3 times a day. Wouldn't that put the flight crew over daily hours? So wouldnt they need to have 2 sets of cockpit crew?

NeBaNi

Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:17 pm

Elementalism wrote:
MSP has a unique combination of high wages but lower cost of living. The weather sucks in the Winter but is great the other 8 months of the year. That article about Delta dropping the Rome route in favor of Honolulu is so Minnesotan. We nearly all go south\warm weather vacation once a winter. If we are lucky, we do it twice.

Make that "the weather sucks in the 8 months of winter but is great the other 4 months of the year" :rotfl: In all seriousness though, the Twin Cities are a great place to live, having lived there for a year. The winters are bad, but the cities are great!

Elementalism

Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:04 pm

I hate to break this to you. Last winter was one the most mild in my nearly 40 years of growing up and living here ;)
We got into March and my wife and I said, well that was an easy winter. The key is getting through Feb and in March. It breaks winters back. March can vary so much. From cold and snow to 70s. But the bitter cold is done.

SteveXC500

Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:15 pm

NeBaNi wrote:
Elementalism wrote:

Make that "the weather sucks in the 8 months of winter but is great the other 4 months of the year" :rotfl: In all seriousness though, the Twin Cities are a great place to live, having lived there for a year. The winters are bad, but the cities are great!

Winter in MN is down to Nov-March, not quite 8 months. :)

ILNFlyer

Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:41 pm

I think MSP is a great area with a great airport and a great future....as long as the economy doesn't head south (pardon the pun).

lightningzap

Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:18 pm

What would be the future of long hauls at MSP then? I don't think that new TATL flight are will be feasible due to the massiveness of Air France-KLM and the massive amount of connections and I'm not sure about demand for TPAC.

lavalampluva

Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:26 pm

lightningzap wrote:
What would be the future of long hauls at MSP then? I don't think that new TATL flight are will be feasible due to the massiveness of Air France-KLM and the massive amount of connections and I'm not sure about demand for TPAC.

I think FRA would work, but DL would have to dump an AMS flight to do it.

klm617

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:10 am

lavalampluva wrote:
lightningzap wrote:

You have DE operating this flight. MSP-FRA is very low yielding hence why you have Condor only operating it during the summer this flight is most likely filled with VFR traffic not the sort of customer Delta targets when it comes to adding new flights. Even in the NWA days this flight when tried was only operated one day a week and lasted only one summer. If Delta thought they could make money operating MSP-FRA it would have added it by now. I think with the addition of the extra AMS flights the writing is on the wall as far as trans Atlantic expansion from MSP. Maybe a few extra LHR rotations but that's about it I'd say.

lightningzap

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:39 am

lavalampluva wrote:
lightningzap wrote:

Dal wouldn't drop the partnership with KLM though, and it wouldn't make sense because Delta doesn't have a skyteam parter at EDDF for connections.

lavalampluva

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:40 am

klm617 wrote:
lavalampluva wrote:
lightningzap wrote:

You have DE operating this flight. MSP-FRA is very low yielding hence why you have Condor only operating it during the summer this flight is most likely filled with VFR traffic not the sort of customer Delta targets when it comes to adding new flights. Even in the NWA days this flight when tried was only operated one day a week and lasted only one summer. If Delta thought they could make money operating MSP-FRA it would have added it by now. I think with the addition of the extra AMS flights the writing is on the wall as far as trans Atlantic expansion from MSP. Maybe a few extra LHR rotations but that's about it I'd say.

The flight on DE is mostly filled with local traffic. It's not marketed for connecting passengers. If DL would add a flight it would eliminate connecting at ATL or DTW. DL is just biding it's time before adding one. DL waited 20 years before adding KEF and now there are a total of 2 flights operating out of MSP every day during the summer.

flyfresno

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:40 am

SteveXC500 wrote:
NeBaNi wrote:
Elementalism wrote:

Winter in MN is down to Nov-March, not quite 8 months. :)

I think it depends on who you talk to...someone from Miami that considers "winter" to be anything below 75 would probably say that MSP has an 8 month winter, but in all reality, like you said, the harsh, bone chilling winters ARE getting shorter and -30 days less frequent.
Last edited by flyfresno on Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

flyfresno

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:49 am

lightningzap wrote:

I think AMS, CDG, LHR, and seasonal KEF are pretty good for TATL, especially with the number of AMS and CDG frequencies. Delta has tried a few other markets (FCO most recently), but nothing has seemed to work out. So I don't know how many more destinations you will see from them.

I didn't realize that MSP-ICN was as low as 30 PDEW. While a segment can certainly be "developed" as was mentioned above, an airline has to be willing to start that segment first, and absent the HND flight being dropped, I wonder whether Delta would take a risk on a route with that low O&D. Does anyone know what MSP-PVG PDEW is?

lightningzap

Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:30 am

flyfresno wrote:
lightningzap wrote:

I think AMS, CDG, LHR, and seasonal KEF are pretty good for TATL, especially with the number of AMS and CDG frequencies. Delta has tried a few other markets (FCO most recently), but nothing has seemed to work out. So I don't know how many more destinations you will see from them.

I didn't realize that MSP-ICN was as low as 30 PDEW. While a segment can certainly be "developed" as was mentioned above, an airline has to be willing to start that segment first, and absent the HND flight being dropped, I wonder whether Delta would take a risk on a route with that low O&D. Does anyone know what MSP-PVG PDEW is?

I never thought of RKSI being the preferred choice in TPAC, I was assuming that DAL would try expanding to ZSPD first with China Eastern.

jubguy3

Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:12 am

kavok wrote:
MSPNWA wrote:
kavok wrote:
MCI, SLC, OMA, and DSM are all good sized cities... but truthfully MSP probably generates just as much European O-D on its own than those cities do combined.

SLC has four flights to Europe (DL CDG, LHR, AMS, and KL AMS). I know this post is 4 months old, but this makes no sense. I understand connecting traffic but SLC still has much higher PDEW to europe than any of those cities.

SLC is a better DL hub than MSP. MSP is torn between DTW. SLC isn't threatened by Seattle or LAX because SLC is an omnidirectional hub and is very high yielding for DL; DL and its partners control 75% of traffic.

BoeingGuy

Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:50 am

lightningzap wrote:
flyfresno wrote:
lightningzap wrote:

I never thought of RKSI being the preferred choice in TPAC, I was assuming that DAL would try expanding to ZSPD first with China Eastern.

What are RKSI and ZSPD? ICN and PVG? It would help to please at least use codes many of us might know.

The last post was interesting. I know this post is about MSP, not SLC, but I find it amazing how much SLC has grown in the TATL market. Zero to four in a matter of years. I guess CDG has been around for a number of years, but that’s still impressive growth.

MSP added CDG about 10 years ago, and the DL KEF Flight more recently, but it’s been more flat line for international growth.

flyfresno

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:29 pm

jubguy3 wrote:
kavok wrote:
MSPNWA wrote:

SLC has four flights to Europe (DL CDG, LHR, AMS, and KL AMS). I know this post is 4 months old, but this makes no sense. I understand connecting traffic but SLC still has much higher PDEW to europe than any of those cities.

SLC is a better DL hub than MSP. MSP is torn between DTW. SLC isn't threatened by Seattle or LAX because SLC is an omnidirectional hub and is very high yielding for DL; DL and its partners control 75% of traffic.

What do you mean by "better DL hub than MSP"? That's a very open-ended and subjective statement.

SLC has the advantage of carrying a large number of LDS missionaries/visitors to/from all over the world in addition to the rest of its traffic, so the airport certainly has a lot of O&D potential, but MSP has a larger CSA and MSA population than SLC, has more fortune 500 companies, and a *significantly* higher GDP (higher than DTW even, although just slightly). That's not to say that SLC isn't important, but one could argue that MSP is somewhere in the 2nd/3rd spot of most important hubs to Delta, depending on what criteria you use. I don't think you could make that same argument about SLC. Finally, Delta's mainline share in MSP is higher than in SLC, and while there are more "connection" flights in SLC, it doesn't look like the overall percentage share of seats is very different between the two markets.

flyfresno

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:33 pm

lightningzap wrote:
flyfresno wrote:
lightningzap wrote:

Yeah, before the KE JV took off, there was a lot of chatter about MSP-PVG, with top execs for DL even saying it was being considered. ICN is obviously a preferred connection spot in Asia over PVG for a few reasons, but if there is significantly more O&D to China, I could see PVG coming first.

SESGDL

Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:45 pm

flyfresno wrote:
jubguy3 wrote:
kavok wrote:

What do you mean by "better DL hub than MSP"? That's a very open-ended and subjective statement.

SLC has the advantage of carrying a large number of LDS missionaries/visitors to/from all over the world in addition to the rest of its traffic, so the airport certainly has a lot of O&D potential, but MSP has a larger CSA and MSA population than SLC, has more fortune 500 companies, and a *significantly* higher GDP (higher than DTW even, although just slightly). That's not to say that SLC isn't important, but one could argue that MSP is somewhere in the 2nd/3rd spot of most important hubs to Delta, depending on what criteria you use. I don't think you could make that same argument about SLC. Finally, Delta's mainline share in MSP is higher than in SLC, and while there are more "connection" flights in SLC, it doesn't look like the overall percentage share of seats is very different between the two markets.

MSP is a significantly larger hub than SLC in every way, by seats, flights, destinations, etc. There's not really a metric where SLC is larger than MSP within the DL network.

Jeremy

flyfresno

Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:38 pm

SESGDL wrote:
flyfresno wrote:
jubguy3 wrote:

MSP is a significantly larger hub than SLC in every way, by seats, flights, destinations, etc. There's not really a metric where SLC is larger than MSP within the DL network.

Jeremy

Totally agreed. I think we were talking about percentages, not totals, but yes, MSP definitely is much larger.

SteveXC500

Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:01 pm

If you want to see a comparison on DL hubs, check the link below from MSP's MAC board meeting. Page 4 gives an overview/comparison.

http://metroairports.granicus.com/MetaV ... a_id=31861

flyfresno

Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:56 pm

SteveXC500 wrote:
If you want to see a comparison on DL hubs, check the link below from MSP's MAC board meeting. Page 4 gives an overview/comparison.

Great info, so really neck in neck with DTW...

BoeingGuy

Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:16 pm

SteveXC500 wrote:

Interesting presentation. There are 28 international destinations served from MSP. I never would have expected it to be nearly that high. Impressive for a city that size.

SteveXC500

Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:23 pm

flyfresno wrote:
SteveXC500 wrote:

Great info, so really neck in neck with DTW...

And that is exactly why the two flip-flop from #2 or #3 hub. Depends on the metric.

SteveXC500

Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:24 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
SteveXC500 wrote:

Interesting presentation. There are 28 international destinations served from MSP. I never would have expected it to be nearly that high. Impressive for a city that size.

International includes Canada, Mexico, and some of the Caribbean. Of course, NW and now DL had/have a huge presence in Canada to MSP as well as the winter-seasonal MX/Carib. destinations.

flyfresno

Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:34 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
SteveXC500 wrote:

About the same size city as Seattle...no one is surprised they have the int'l service they do. It's more of a misconception of the size/importance of greater Minneapolis than a reflection on its air service.

jubguy3

Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:38 pm

flyfresno wrote:
jubguy3 wrote:
kavok wrote:

I meant for DL. There is very little to no competition in SLC (see: sun country, spirit in DTW, AS in Seattle) which means SLC averages the third highest average ticket cost of any city in the US. Not necessarily good for passengers but SLC is consistently one of the most profitable hubs for DL, especially considering the relatively smaller amount of traffic.

SESGDL

Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:15 pm

jubguy3 wrote:
flyfresno wrote:
jubguy3 wrote:

I meant for DL. There is very little to no competition in SLC (see: sun country, spirit in DTW, AS in Seattle) which means SLC averages the third highest average ticket cost of any city in the US. Not necessarily good for passengers but SLC is consistently one of the most profitable hubs for DL, especially considering the relatively smaller amount of traffic.

There's a misconception about the size of Sun Country at MSP, AA is actually larger at MSP. And what happened to WN at SLC, last I remember they had a sizable presence?

Jeremy

SteveXC500

Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:18 pm

What are you using to compare AA to SY at MSP?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos