Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

hOMSaR
Topic Author

QF CEO gets pie in the face during speech

Tue May 09, 2017 6:54 pm

https://thewest.com.au/business/aviatio ... b88470227z

QF CEO Alan Joyce was giving a speech in Perth (apparently about the new nonstop LHR service) when a man walked up and shoved a pie in his face (video in link above).

ikolkyo

Re: QF CEO gets pie in the face during speech

Tue May 09, 2017 7:02 pm

At least it wasn't anything more harmful, silly move for man of his age.

Breathe

Tue May 09, 2017 7:03 pm

This reminds me when Bill Gates got pied.

Tue May 09, 2017 7:09 pm

Now we know that Alan Joyce has made the big times... No one pies someone who is a "nobody"

Have a great day,

KarelXWB

Tue May 09, 2017 7:34 pm

Reminds me of Bill Gates.

Shame of the pie.

N14AZ

Tue May 09, 2017 7:39 pm

I would expect something like this AFTER the first passengers completed their nonstop flights between Perth and London in coach but not before... {duck}

AirlineCritic

Tue May 09, 2017 7:48 pm

That's completely inappropriate and I don't wish anyone be physically attacked.

Passenger or crew or CEO. And I consider pie-in-the-face a physical attack.

Hope the attacker is caught and served an appropriate punishment.

But I have to say this. I don't wish the CEO get a pie on his face, but I wish he and many of his colleagues in other airlines be kept in better control with, say, consumer protection laws. For instance, QF loses my luggage all the time, and is unable to provide competent assistance to deliver / reroute it in a timely fashion. Which frustrates me, because there's little that I can do to control the situation, and in my case luggage prevents me from doing what I travelled to do, on my own cost. And I realise my example is small and insignificant among many other things, say the recent United case. But, my point is, a lot of us consumers and customers don't feel we get exactly a fair deal. With QF, for instance. I call for improvements of their service.

LAXintl

Tue May 09, 2017 7:50 pm

Excellent form by the pie thrower

:duck:

flyrocoak

Tue May 09, 2017 7:57 pm

Alan Joyce handled it with class, and got in a couple jokes about it.

jakubz

Tue May 09, 2017 8:10 pm

Does anybody know if this was over a particular grievance, just someone doing it for s#!+s and giggles (doubtful, I think), or someone unstable?

cerealspiller

Tue May 09, 2017 8:14 pm

A real shame. That was a nice tie.

Also, my first thought was that I was looking at Rick Moranis.

vhtje

Tue May 09, 2017 8:20 pm

What was the assailant's motive for the assault? I do hope it was not a homophobic attack. The linked West Australian article does not state any - it only says he was charged with giving police a false name.

I should think he ought to be charged with assault.

IPFreely

Tue May 09, 2017 9:09 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Excellent form by the pie thrower

:duck:

It was good form but his choice of pie left a little to be desired. Too much fell in big chunks instead of sticking. Perhaps banana cream and definitely more whipped cream next time. Or maybe he had just taken the pie out of the refrigerator and it was still too cold. An hour or two to reach room temperature might have made it better.

IPFreely

Tue May 09, 2017 9:17 pm

A little further digging reveals it was a lemon meringue pie which is not the best choice if you want to pie someone. Too much of a jello-like consistency. Something with a pudding-like consistency like banana cream or coconut cream would be better choices the next time this guy pies someone.

VHOGU

Tue May 09, 2017 9:34 pm

“I have no idea (what the flavour was), I’m not a big pie eater,”

Amen sister.. :lol:

CrimsonNL

Tue May 09, 2017 10:08 pm

Am I the only one who read this as QR CEO in my excitement? Now that would have been something!

Martijn

Zkpilot

Tue May 09, 2017 10:11 pm

I had a good laugh over it!

325i

Tue May 09, 2017 10:19 pm

Dear Aireline critic, you must be one of the unluckiest QF travellers around. I have flown QF both domestically and internationally for over 50 years and have never been in your situation. Maybe it is some kind of Kara, Enjoy your next flight.

manny

Tue May 09, 2017 10:28 pm

I did not know Australians were into pie. I thought they would be into more sophisticated desserts.....like say a creme brulee.

/s

RyanairGuru

Tue May 09, 2017 10:41 pm

[*]
manny wrote:
I did not know Australians were into pie. I thought they would be into more sophisticated desserts.....like say a creme brulee.

/s

Nah, a patriotic Australian would have used pavlova

JannEejit

Tue May 09, 2017 10:53 pm

Not sure what the motivation for this was exactly but the assailant has been remanded in custardy ! ;-) Good job it wasn't an inflight incident though, or we'd be looking at charges of 'pie in the sky' !

flyrocoak

Tue May 09, 2017 11:07 pm

vhtje wrote:
What was the assailant's motive for the assault? I do hope it was not a homophobic attack. The linked West Australian article does not state any - it only says he was charged with giving police a false name.

The pie thrower, Tony Overheu, was a 'senior member of the Church of Christ' in the southern Perth... gotta love those Christian values. Hate much?

Flightsimboy

Tue May 09, 2017 11:12 pm

OMG poor Mr. Joyce. I am sorry but I was crying wih laughter on the bus home. The vision of a pie on his face, hilarious!!!

smi0006

Tue May 09, 2017 11:51 pm

I'm sorry perhaps I'm sensitive, but I don't find a homophobic attack by a senior member of the church funny. If a non-white Australian had a pie thrown in their face due to their cultural/religious values that would not be acceptable, and no one would be laughing.

What message does it send to the LGBT youth of Australia growing up be bullied in schools, and one of Australia's best known openly gay business men has an attempt to demean him publicly in this manner and we simply laugh it off? Kudos to Alan Joyce for showing class and handling the situation well he has every right to react in which ever way he chooses - but more broadly speaking this shouldn't be laughed off.

FlyUSAir

Tue May 09, 2017 11:57 pm

Very upsetting, but I'm glad Alan Joyce was able to walk it off and even have a little bit of a laugh afterwords. The only people I can think of who actually deserve a pie to the face are Oscar Munoz, Ed Bastian, and Doug Parker.

IPFreely

Wed May 10, 2017 12:12 am

smi0006 wrote:
I'm sorry perhaps I'm sensitive, but I don't find a homophobic attack by a senior member of the church funny. If a non-white Australian had a pie thrown in their face due to their cultural/religious values that would not be acceptable, and no one would be laughing.

Lighten up. Everything doesn't have to be some political/gender/race/religion issue. It's just a pie to the face. And a pie to the face is always funny.

zeke

Wed May 10, 2017 12:28 am

manny wrote:

/s

Joyce is Irish

ahj2000

Wed May 10, 2017 12:47 am

FlyUSAir wrote:
Very upsetting, but I'm glad Alan Joyce was able to walk it off and even have a little bit of a laugh afterwords. The only people I can think of who actually deserve a pie to the face are Oscar Munoz, Ed Bastian, and Doug Parker.

Willie Walsh?? :)

RoySFlying

Wed May 10, 2017 12:54 am

The reaction of the audience was interesting. Among the surprise were also a few laughs. Full marks to Joyce for the way he bounced back and even make a joke about it. That certainly won the audience over.

While this pie to the face can not be justified, it is in many ways no worse than the attack that verbal Joyce sustained from Peter Dutton, Minister for Immigration. After Qantas had expressed support for equal marriage, Dutton told Joyce that he (and other CEOs who make social comments) should “stick to their knitting”.

pa747sp

Wed May 10, 2017 1:42 am

This incident will reflect more on the thrower than the target.

lebda

Wed May 10, 2017 2:19 am

Aw man, don't waste a perfectly good pie.

VapourTrails

Wed May 10, 2017 3:24 am

https://www.msn.com/en-au/video/watch/9 ... vp-BBAXDIh - 9RAW: Man explains why he rubbed a cream pie in Qantas CEO Alan Joyce’s face. 10 May 2017.

~~~

I thought Alan Joyce handled this really well.

The lemon meringue pie cost $25.95 by the way?!

:relieved:

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-up ... 5007ff62a7, Qantas boss Alan Joyce cops a pie to the face in bizarre incident, 10 May 2017.

Excerpt from the article: "Mr Overheu said he had the cake wrapped up like a birthday present to make it compact, walked in the front door and waited for a couple of hours behind a curtain until everyone had arrived. In a bizarre and rambling statement provided to 6PR, he also implied that his actions were triggered by corporate support for same-sex marriage.

“Middle Australia completely rejects corporate bullying aimed at social engineering,” the statement said.

“Qantas is insulting many staff and passengers with their boarding pass propaganda.

Mr Joyce had just started speaking at the packed event at Perth’s exclusive Hyatt Regency hotel when he was approached by Mr Overheu, who was wearing a suit, and rubbed the pie in his face.

He then walked off the stage without saying a word or betraying any emotion."

:scared:

Strange, but glad no-one was hurt.

BobPatterson

Wed May 10, 2017 3:41 am

VapourTrails wrote:
Strange, but glad no-one was hurt.

Civility was hurt, injured, damaged.

I hope the perpetrator gets at least a little jail time and a hefty fine (or award of damages to the person who was assaulted).

VapourTrails

Wed May 10, 2017 3:51 am

BobPatterson wrote:
Civility was hurt, injured, damaged.

Yeah, good point there.

BobPatterson wrote:
I hope the perpetrator gets at least a little jail time and a hefty fine (or award of damages to the person who was assaulted).

Well no free upgrades at least. :psst:

AVFCdownunder

Wed May 10, 2017 4:26 am

vhtje wrote:

It was indeed motivated by homophobia from what I can gather.

RyanairGuru

Wed May 10, 2017 8:35 am

[twoid][/twoid]
IPFreely wrote:
smi0006 wrote:

Lighten up. Everything doesn't have to be some political/gender/race/religion issue. It's just a pie to the face. And a pie to the face is always funny.

Not everything, but in this case the attack was clearly homophobic in nature. As it is the attacker appeared to more motivated by Joyce's public advocacy of same sex marriage rather than he himself being gay, but that's an irrelevant distinction in my opinion.

b747400erf

Wed May 10, 2017 10:19 am

IPFreely wrote:
smi0006 wrote:

Why does this get protected? You commented on a topic you do not know anything about. This was an attack because of their viewpoint on gay marriage.

bunumuring

Wed May 10, 2017 2:52 pm

Hey guys,
Alan Joyce quite rightly has been on the attack tonight.
I hope that the pie thrower does indeed get gaol-time for this.
It appears that AJ will be pressing charges and good on him for doing so.
The pie thrower also apparently has links with the National Party as well a being a church elder. I haven't heard but I truly hope that his church's governing body condemns this attack. I have members of my family that are part of that particular church body's congregation and they DEFINITELY don't hold the same views on same-sex marriage he does.
Alan, my respect for you has risen another notch over your totally appropriate and measured response.
Well done!
Cheers,
Bunumuring.

mercure1

Wed May 10, 2017 3:47 pm

Lighten up people.

Celebrities, politicians, other well known people around the world end up with pies in their faces and have a good laugh made of them.

Joyce is not the first, and wont be the last.

Hey there is even a game you can play at home to practice.

b747400erf wrote:
This was an attack because of their viewpoint on gay marriage.

Seems to me public company CEO should not be bringing their personal opinions (particularly on controversial topics) to the forefront.
Public stance on non business topics potentially harm an enterprise particularly of about such controversial social issues when there are clearly going to be substantial slice of the population that legitimately can hold opposite views. Suppose a topic for a non-av thread.

nadavatar64

Wed May 10, 2017 6:32 pm

The man faced the challenge, it was a piece of cake for him.

Planetalk

Wed May 10, 2017 6:55 pm

mercure1 wrote:
b747400erf wrote:

Seems to me public company CEO should not be bringing their personal opinions (particularly on controversial topics) to the forefront.
Public stance on non business topics potentially harm an enterprise particularly of about such controversial social issues when there are clearly going to be substantial slice of the population that legitimately can hold opposite views. Suppose a topic for a non-av thread.

Oh dear. In what way are gay rights 'controversial'? I'm also intrigued to know your legitimate reason for holding opposite views? And please, not a book written in the iron age.

In most enlightened societies gay rights are now accepted by the majority as a good thing, and businesses can play a positive role in reducing stigma, which has to be a good thing right?
They will gain more business than hey lose from a few bigots with strange obcessions, most people couldn't care less. Why should they? Seems strange to go around getting worked up about another group of people finally getting the rights the rest of us always enjoyed after thousands of years of persecution. How does it affect you? It's love, love is great!

Would you consider it acceptable to oppose equal rights for other minority groups, perhaps based on race? If not why is his different? I'm afraid progress is going to happen and you'll very much be on the wrong side of history.

mariner

Wed May 10, 2017 7:07 pm

mercure1 wrote:

The Joyce/Qantas public position on marriage equality doesn't seem to be affecting the company's profit:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/business/co ... 119d22bffe

Qantas flags second biggest profit on record

And surely it's up to the shareholders what causes they embrace. They own the company.

mariner

TerminalD

Wed May 10, 2017 7:08 pm

b747400erf wrote:

How do we know that?

I saw two threads on FB. One was from an LGBT magazine with comments saying it was a hate crime.

Another thread said it was union-driven angst related to a pilot shortage where people were doing the "million dollar CEO deserves it" whining.

Amazing the same act with a pie is either a jab for labor justice or an example of society being gutted by hate, depending upon the motivation.

zkojq

Wed May 10, 2017 7:15 pm

Sad but unsurprising that the perpetrator is unremorseful. Jail time seems a bit extreme given that there weren't injuries; a few hundred hours of community service and making him buy Mr Joyce a new suit would seem more appropriate. OTOH I do appreciate the need to set a strong precedent when it comes to dealing with those who perpetrate homophobic attacks.

It's always nice when the victim is able to draw some humour from the situation. Years ago someone did something similar with a custard pie to Jeremy Clarkson. He immediately complimented them on a 'good shot'.

RyanairGuru wrote:
a patriotic Australian would have used pavlova

That's funny mate because Pavlovas are from New Zealand.

mariner

Wed May 10, 2017 7:16 pm

TerminalD wrote:
How do we know that?

The pie thrower has said so - in a lengthy confession:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... riage.html

Alan Joyce was attacked by an elderly man wielding a lemon meringue pie
Tony Overheu, 67, explained he did it as a stance against 'corporate bullying'
He was referring to Mr Joyce's efforts to promote gay marriage using the airline
The Qantas CEO had been addressing a business breakfast in Perth when hit
He plans to press assault charges against Mr Overheu to 'send a message'
Mr Joyce also refused to stop speaking out on LGBTI and gender issues

The elderly man who shoved a lemon meringue cake in Alan Joyce's face said he was opposing the Qantas boss' stance on gay marriage.

mariner

gzm

Wed May 10, 2017 7:24 pm

You know, sometimes at the greek version of airliners we are inclined to a round of pie fighting but it is strictly forbidden by the... authorities!
Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWmH5FFgX44

MSPSXMFLIER

Wed May 10, 2017 8:00 pm

Breathe wrote:
This reminds me when Bill Gates got pied.

Hmm, I don't recall that incident, I'll have to Google that one. I do remember seeing Anita Bryant getting one right in the ol' puss.....that still warms my heart.

TerminalD

Wed May 10, 2017 8:13 pm

mariner wrote:
TerminalD wrote:
How do we know that?

The pie thrower has said so - in a lengthy confession:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... riage.html

Alan Joyce was attacked by an elderly man wielding a lemon meringue pie
Tony Overheu, 67, explained he did it as a stance against 'corporate bullying'
He was referring to Mr Joyce's efforts to promote gay marriage using the airline
The Qantas CEO had been addressing a business breakfast in Perth when hit
He plans to press assault charges against Mr Overheu to 'send a message'
Mr Joyce also refused to stop speaking out on LGBTI and gender issues

The elderly man who shoved a lemon meringue cake in Alan Joyce's face said he was opposing the Qantas boss' stance on gay marriage.

mariner

It's assault regardless of the motivation, although without the intent to physically injure. I was hoping the reason was going to be that the Australian version of Howard Stern said to throw pies at public figures, but unfortunately not...

vhtje

Wed May 10, 2017 8:25 pm

IPFreely wrote:

Except that it is a religion issue. The assailant has admitted already he did it due to Alan Joyce's support of gay marriage being at odds with the assailant's own conservative Christian views. Therefore it is not just a pice in the face. It was an attack - an assault - and as such is it not funny at all. But even if you didn't know the assailant's motives, you can tell by the look his face his intent was not humorous. Did you watch the video? If so, I am surprised you can make such a silly statement.

The assailant needs to be brought before the courts to account for his actions.

luftaom

Thu May 11, 2017 9:27 am

A.net is so tough on law and order that if the average a.net user were a judge, gaols would be huge.

What this guy did was deplorable - it wan't just some goofy gag, or the culmination of personal frustration as a result of some personal interaction between him and Qantas - this was a vindictive expression of hate.

But having said that - there is no way that he will get gaol time for the common assault. I would expect that he will get something on the spectrum of 'no conviction recorded' (at the very bottom end) to a good behaviour bond (in the middle) up to a modest amount of community service (at the top end). The middle and top ends may also have a modest fine attached.

I think that the best outcome would be for Qantas security to ban him from all Qantas flights for the premeditated assault of a Qantas employee in the course of carrying out their lawful duties ... premeditated assault of a cabin crew or ground staff member would likely get you banned - so I don't see why assaulting the CEO should be any different. Sure he's likely not a great fan of Qantas anyway - but he does live in Perth so to go anywhere you kind of have to fly and yes sure he could always fly Virgin on domestic flights - but being banned from flying Qantas would undoubtedly be of some inconvenience to him at some point.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos