Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

9w748capt

Re: India Aviation Thread - 2017

Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:45 pm

Antarius wrote:
9w748capt wrote:
Nimish wrote:

I think the current gulf crisis is short lived, all these nations will soon get over their pen** envy and realise they all equally support terrorism and end up joining hands again.

Hahahaha - so, so, true.

Sadly it's the Indians who contribute to their terror funds the most by continuing to patronize these airlines. Just flew QR for the first time recently - never again will we fly sharia air. What a horrific experience.

Jealousy is unbecoming.

Jealous? Haha not quite! Nice try though.

dtw2hyd

Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:15 pm

vadodara wrote:

Looks like you forgot that the govt needs to recover, some, of what it has sunk in. Perhaps, the airline, non-airline business, assets etc will be separated and debts written off before the sale.

The buyer can come-in, offer 4-5 VRS schemes, and get the brand, routes, planes etc.

Only question is how to manage slots say at Bombay and other slot controlled airports.

Modi can leave the keys and deed on the table and walk away. GoI can remove only one thing from AI, their sticky fingers.

No right minded buyer is going to pay airliner owner owned bank debt and pay back infused equity.

QR/Qatar pays $3B to 19 Indian PSU banks and they release lien on all AI property.

lightsaber

Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:19 am

dtw2hyd wrote:
Qatar should buy AI while Modi is desperate to achieve something and Qatar need to teach a lesson their neighbors. Its a win-win.

Most aircraft related debt is lease debt, buyer need not to pay anybody.
Working capital debt from global sources should be at a competitive rate, shouldn't be a problem.
Working capital debt to Indian banks $3B-$4B is the anchor, pay in full and take over all assets banks kept as collateral.

AI has assets close to $4B. May be Qatar airline, Qatar sovereign fund and may be Kushner should take over. Kushner will be able to monetize the real estate assets quickly.

Courtesy: India Today

Courtesy: Livemint
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DCQSGt8XcAARiI_.jpg

I agree except AI must be reformed before being sold and some large chunk of the debt must be forgiven to make the business case. QR might overpay, but right now AI is in worse shape than AZ and that was proven to be un-workable.

Lightsaber

dtw2hyd

Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:31 am

lightsaber wrote:
I agree except AI must be reformed before being sold and some large chunk of the debt must be forgiven to make the business case. QR might overpay, but right now AI is in worse shape than AZ and that was proven to be un-workable.

Lightsaber

In next 2 years most of its aged permanent workforce will retire. It will have very few permanent employees. It hasn't recruited permanent employees since 2006. As of now entire staff cost is less than $300 Million including retiree cost.

It has 32 acres in Vasant Vihar where a 3 bed room apartment goes for $1 Million or more (someone familiar with Delhi real estate can comment on this). QR can build one skyscraper for all employees and print money selling the rest.

Seven LHR slots may be $75 Million each.

A $500 Million Nariman Point property is stuck with an Indian Bank as collateral for $100 Million working capital loan which AI cannot repay, there is no way to monetize.

AIESL has 33 hangers, Asia's largest MRO provider.

All QR need to do is to unshackle AI from Indian Bankers, the $3.2 Billion revenue will take care of itself.

Main issue even QR/Qatar as owner, it cannot get working capital loans outside India. So buyer has to estimate required working capital and structure it as equity during purchase. EY missed this trick 9W, so does SIA and Air Asia(Bhd).

In general, if you start an airline in India with $300 Million it is a guaranteed failure, if you start with a $1 Billion it is a guaranteed success. Difference between Vistata/Air Asia(India) and Indigo.

killswitch13

Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:49 am

Tata Group to buy Air India? Will India’s national carrier fly back to its home base?

http://www.financialexpress.com/industry/tata-group-keen-to-buy-air-india-will-the-airline-touchdown-at-the-home-base/729082/

sand26391

Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:46 pm

Mumbai airport unlikely to be part of next bidding under UDAN

http://indianexpress.com/article/busine ... n-4715389/

CaliguyNYC

Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:30 pm

Why can't the Indian government sell AI clean. Take care of debt. Offer Union employees a buyout (assuming they won't work under new owners rules) and then move on. AI has decent base infrastructure (meaning planes. slots, hangers, etc). All the new buyer needs is to renovate everything. Look how US carriers turn a 10 year old plane into brand new on the inside. If Tata and SQ want AI, I say the GOI should be very eager to let that happen (much better than Qatar buying).

blrsea

Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:39 pm

CaliguyNYC wrote:
Why can't the Indian government sell AI clean. Take care of debt. Offer Union employees a buyout (assuming they won't work under new owners rules) and then move on. AI has decent base infrastructure (meaning planes. slots, hangers, etc). All the new buyer needs is to renovate everything. Look how US carriers turn a 10 year old plane into brand new on the inside. If Tata and SQ want AI, I say the GOI should be very eager to let that happen (much better than Qatar buying).

I believe the plan is similar, the working capital debt might be written off, but the debt related to the lease/purchase of the planes remain on the book, as it should be, as AI has those assets to generate revenue(if properly used). This is just one of the options on the table as per newspaper reports though. Also AI has lot of real estate which are worth around couple of thousand crores, so they need a way to monetize that too. The buyer will get those assets too.

dtw2hyd

Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:43 pm

Actually Qatar is better option for AI and Indian Tax Payers.

For Tata/Adani/Ambani is to buy Modi will write-off all the debt held by Indian Banks. India will be $4 Billion deeper hole. Also both Vistara/AAI are duds. If they cannot run clean slate airlines (both FSC and LCC) they cannot run AI, which is much more complicated.

Qatar at least can pay $4 Billion(Indian Banks ie., Indian Tax Payers) and bring additional equity to have enough cash on hand for working capital.

Indian Banks have $186 Billion bad debts don't need $4 Billion more.

vadodara

Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:04 pm

So many deliberately misstated facts here:

a) A quick check of the 10 largest insolvent 'debtors' does not include Tata/Adani/Ambani. Most of them are Politician (Congress) owned companies.
b) This list somehow fails to include the Govt. owned companies (excluding utilities etc), which are even in worse shape

The question is, as a policy, what should the govt. do. Fact is, AI, has only 14% of market share. No matter how emotional your ties to AI. It is quiet evident the Indian flying public has found others to offer better option. The fact that it is sitting on such assets is in itself shameful. After all, it is public money that is being (mis)used by AI employees.

IMHO, the govt. has duty to take away resources that are not being used in optimum manner. In AI's case, the path of least resistance needs to be taken so it does not become a distraction to the functioning of the govt.

dtw2hyd

Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:19 pm

When a country is run by someone with A++ in Drama and F-- in Economics, Finance, Accounting, Statistics, Business Management, Ethics and everything else, you can never guess what one does.

Helping Tata/Ambani/Adani with Tax Payer money is not unthinkable. BTW, the privatization recommendation came from friends and family think tank called NITI Aayog.

No affection towards AI. Just don't stick it to poor people to help rich.

ZeeZoo

Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:30 pm

Tata making some big moves in the aviation sector. First signing an agreement with Lockheed for the likely production of F-16s in India and now looking to purchase a controlling stake in Air India.

Air India + F-16 production in India. Big moves, shadowing Reliance's forray into aviation with the link-up with the Dassault Rafale. Possibility of Reliance entering the Indian aviation sector?

vadodara

Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:39 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
When a country is run by someone with A++ in Drama and F-- in Economics, Finance, Accounting, Statistics, Business Management, Ethics and everything else, you can never guess what one does.

I suppose, you are referring to the nationalization of Air India, Banks, Hindustan Aeronautics etc etc.
Tata's may be bad but JRD Tata started AI when no one thought of. What justifies 'nationalization'? Helping the poor? How does AI all in that category?

dtw2hyd wrote:
Helping Tata/Ambani/Adani with Tax Payer money is not unthinkable. BTW, the privatization recommendation came from friends and family think tank called NITI Aayog.

Yep! Creating an enabling environment for the successful can be termed friends and family. After all, with friends like AI who needs enemies. Perhaps, ask why Indians happily travel ME3?

dtw2hyd wrote:
No affection towards AI. Just don't stick it to poor people to help rich.

How is AI owning a massive building at Nariman Point helping the poor? Perhaps, it serves as a shauchalay for the homeless.

dtw2hyd

Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:10 pm

vadodara wrote:
How is AI owning a massive building at Nariman Point helping the poor? Perhaps, it serves as a shauchalay for the homeless.

Why does Bank of India need Nariman Point as collateral for AI loans? Both are government owned. It is not that Banks don't have any bad debts. Unless Bank is hoping AI to sell entire property for $100M.

anshabhi

Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:20 am

Eid Mubarak!

unrave

Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:56 am

Indian government approves international airport in Jewar near Delhi

The airport is aimed at easing the burden on Delhi’s Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGIA), which is expected to reach its peak capacity of handling 109 million passengers in the next seven years.

The Noida International Airport will be built to handle 30-50 million passengers per year over the next decade

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Del ... 143093.ece

anshabhi

Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:44 pm

The Centre is soon expected to issue the notification to make GAGAN (GPS Aided GEO Augmented Navigation), the indigenously developed navigation system, mandatory for new aircraft registered in the country from January 1, 2019.
This would enable the country to break free from the over-dependence on the international tech regime led by the Global Positioning System (GPS) of the US and Global Navigation Satellite System of Russia. It will also plug the gap in covering equatorial region.

Happy to know this!! I would love to use this system in my mobile as well, instead of GPS.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/thesund ... 43--1.html

CanadaFair

Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:55 pm

anshabhi wrote:
Eid Mubarak!

Why a Malay ad when 9W dont even serve it anymore?

unrave

Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:28 am

India’s aircraft orders to exceed 1,000 with Jet Airways’ imminent order; infrastructure a problem
Low cost carriers account for more than 85% of India’s current order book of 923 aircraft, but in the coming weeks two of its full service airlines will add to the tally.

Jet Airways is expected to place an order for a further 100 narrowbody aircraft (this figure may include options) – taking its total of the type to 175 – while Vistara is likely to order 50 narrowbodies and 50 widebodies, according to CAPA’s earlier research.

With these planned acquisitions, India’s order book will reach 1123 aircraft – the third largest in the world after the USA and China. And its ratio of 2.2 aircraft on order for every aircraft in service would be the highest of any major aviation market.

Full article here: https://centreforaviation.com/insights/ ... lem-352895

anshabhi

Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:41 am

Recently a Malindo Air flight from Lahore was diverted to Delhi for technical reasons.
http://avherald.com/h?article=4aad5c8d&opt=0

Avherald mentions the 75 passengers (I assume, mostly Pakistanis) were given hotels for 1 one day.

What are these provisions which allow Pakistanis, or any foreign citizens without visa to enter India?

AirIndia

Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:01 am

anshabhi wrote:
Recently a Malindo Air flight from Lahore was diverted to Delhi for technical reasons.

Avherald mentions the 75 passengers (I assume, mostly Pakistanis) were given hotels for 1 one day.

What are these provisions which allow Pakistanis, or any foreign citizens without visa to enter India?

They would have been accomodated in the Airport hotel which is in the INTL wing. better than gettin visas sorted....

VTORD

Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:57 am

anshabhi wrote:

Probably given some special transit visa. I am not sure how transit visas work in India but I remember when the Iceland volcano happened (2010??) and my sister got stuck in FRA on her way to the US. She didn't have a German Visa, they were issued a transit visa so they could go to a hotel instead of the airport.

dtw2hyd

Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:01 am

anshabhi wrote:
The Centre is soon expected to issue the notification to make GAGAN (GPS Aided GEO Augmented Navigation), the indigenously developed navigation system, mandatory for new aircraft registered in the country from January 1, 2019.
This would enable the country to break free from the over-dependence on the international tech regime led by the Global Positioning System (GPS) of the US and Global Navigation Satellite System of Russia. It will also plug the gap in covering equatorial region.

Happy to know this!! I would love to use this system in my mobile as well, instead of GPS.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/thesund ... 43--1.html

GAGAN is a satellite-based augmentation system for aviation. What you want is a NAVIC (IRNSS) capable device. I am sure in few months smartphone sold in India will have NAVIC capable receivers.

VTORD

Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:32 pm

Did not see this being mentioned anywhere. SQ considering PNQ and IXC.....

http://www.business-standard.com/articl ... 712_1.html

unrave

Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:21 pm

Singapore bilaterals are exhausted and no expansion seems to be on the horizon. I personally hope that once bilaterals are expanded MI to CJB becomes daily

golfradio

Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:03 pm

Tomorrow Jul 1, AC46 YYZ - BOM nonstop will operate its first flight. AC will be back in BOM after 26 years if I am not mistaken (they stopped the fifth freedom YYZ_LHR-BOM-SIN flight in 1991).

I hope some spotters will be at hand. Looking forward to fly the route myself.

http://moments.aircanada.com/timeline/1985-setting-off-on-the-longest-route-yet/

VTORD

Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:00 pm

unrave

Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:17 am

Singapore explores more air links to India, amid increasing traffic
New services to Pune, Madurai, Bhubaneswar and Guwahati are being explored, to add to the 15 cities in India that airlines already operate to and from Singapore
More than 1.7 million passengers travelled between Singapore and India between January-May this year, a 15% jump over the same period of last year
India is currently the third largest contributor of Changi Airport’s transfer traffic, after Australia and Indonesia.

http://www.livemint.com/Politics/jQ342A ... asing.html

upwardfacing

Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:57 pm

As of last week, routing challenges remain for the proposed DEL-TLV-DEL route. Media article, which includes three routing proposals, is posted in the Israeli aviation thread.

CanadaFair

Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:33 pm

It can be posted here too http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-new ... I4DRK.html as it is more relevant to India aviation.

unrave

Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:15 pm

AirAsia India aims to turn profitable by end of FY19: MD Amar Abrol

http://www.livemint.com/Companies/9hYAn ... ays-M.html

lightsaber

Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:17 am

dtw2hyd wrote:
Actually Qatar is better option for AI and Indian Tax Payers.

For Tata/Adani/Ambani is to buy Modi will write-off all the debt held by Indian Banks. India will be $4 Billion deeper hole. Also both Vistara/AAI are duds. If they cannot run clean slate airlines (both FSC and LCC) they cannot run AI, which is much more complicated.

Qatar at least can pay $4 Billion(Indian Banks ie., Indian Tax Payers) and bring additional equity to have enough cash on hand for working capital.

Indian Banks have $186 Billion bad debts don't need $4 Billion more.

Split off the non-aviation assets and sell to the best proposal. I have no problem if a known value is placed on jobs. Just end the subsidies and political interference. Maybe give a five year taper off to government tickets and government charters.

The web if deals for AI is just too expensive. Tackle the banks separately.

So we have Tata, QR, and 6E interested... But I personally believe Indigo's bid is just to bid it up for Tata.

Which bid is best? I haven't seen the details. The bidding for AI makes the bidding for AZ seem transparent.

Lightsaber

chrisnh

Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:31 am

Is there enough demand to/from Boston for someone to do it non-stop?

unrave

Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:09 am

There was a time when IndiGo used to hold new aircraft in the fleet for only 6 years, returning them around the time D checks were due. How times have changed since: IndiGo's latest induction is a 12 year old A320 which was flying with USAir and later AA.

anshabhi

Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:26 am

unrave wrote:
There was a time when IndiGo used to hold new aircraft in the fleet for only 6 years, returning them around the time D checks were due. How times have changed since: IndiGo's latest induction is a 12 year old A320 which was flying with USAir and later AA.

"Something is better than nothing".. All of these are subs for delayed NEOs.
Apparently, they are also getting an a/c which was stored in Apr 2017.
https://www.planespotters.net/airframe/ ... IHC-IndiGo

chrisnh wrote:
Is there enough demand to/from Boston for someone to do it non-stop?

IMO, demand is but "someone" to do it is not there.

dtw2hyd

Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:06 am

unrave wrote:

I thought these are a stop gap solution to deal with NEO issues. If they continue to take old frames or keep the bulk of their fleet longer than 6 years, their business model will collapse.

They don't have infrastructure or skill set to maintain older frames and outsourced MX will cost an arm and a leg.

One misconception of AI being bloated and 6E being lean. 6E has more employees per plane than AI, even without doing maintenance or ground handling.

dtw2hyd

Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:18 am

lightsaber wrote:

So we have Tata, QR, and 6E interested... But I personally believe Indigo's bid is just to bid it up for Tata.

Which bid is best? I haven't seen the details. The bidding for AI makes the bidding for AZ seem transparent.

Lightsaber

I don't think there are any details.

IMHO QR 49%/Qatar 51% is their best bet.or 6E 25%/QR 24%/Qatar 51% is next best option if AI wants to keep Indian origins.

TATAs and SIA so far didn't prove their skills in running an airline nor have the money. Remind you SIA hardly investing in Vistara and SIA itself in trouble. Just like other City-state owned airlines, SIA manages the brand, not the airline.

CaliguyNYC

Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:06 pm

I disagree. I don't think QR is their best option at all. None of the ME3 have shown any desire in growing Indian aviation. They just want to funnel more traffic through their ME hubs. Connecting via the ME is not a long term business strategy for an economy the size of India's. Plus the region is super volitile. The future is overflying the ME. Have at least BOM and DEL connected to the world and raise connectivity to those airports with in India (I am sure BLR, HYD, MAA will also emerge as hubs as the economy grows - see China's example). The more connected Indian cities are with each other, the better it is for the nation. If frequencies are supported via both domestic and international connecting traffic, then great.

unrave

Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:12 pm

CaliguyNYC wrote:
None of the ME3 have shown any desire in growing Indian aviation.

Besides operating multiple flights out of airports that the Indian Govt allows them to, how else do you think they can grow Indian aviation? If the govt relaxes its idiotic protectionism they will be ready to fly many more cities and provide connectivity to the cities long ignored by the national carrier. Just look at what liberal flying rights has done to TRZ.

anshabhi

Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:16 pm

unrave wrote:
CaliguyNYC wrote:
None of the ME3 have shown any desire in growing Indian aviation.

Besides operating multiple flights out of airports that the Indian Govt allows them to, how else do you think they can grow Indian aviation? If the govt relaxes its idiotic protectionism they will be ready to fly many more cities and provide connectivity to the cities long ignored by the national carrier. Just look at what liberal flying rights has done to TRZ.

Develop Indian airports as a hub. TRZ has no spine.

dtw2hyd

Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:32 pm

CaliguyNYC wrote:
I disagree. I don't think QR is their best option at all. None of the ME3 have shown any desire in growing Indian aviation. They just want to funnel more traffic through their ME hubs. Connecting via the ME is not a long term business strategy for an economy the size of India's. Plus the region is super volitile. The future is overflying the ME. Have at least BOM and DEL connected to the world and raise connectivity to those airports with in India (I am sure BLR, HYD, MAA will also emerge as hubs as the economy grows - see China's example). The more connected Indian cities are with each other, the better it is for the nation. If frequencies are supported via both domestic and international connecting traffic, then great.

AI needs a lot of equity not emotions, drama or even management skills. 6E's success and Vistara's/Air Asia India's mediocre performance shows only big bang equity approach works in India.

QR/Qatar freshly cheated by their brothers gives a unique opportunity for AI. If restrictions on Qatar air nav rights stay, it has to operate from India. There is no point feeding DOH. It will use India-US open skies to start as many non-stops as possible to teach a lesson to EK/EY. AAB(unlike GoI) never felt any guilt in sovereign owners pumping unlimited equity.

This may be a shocker to a.net, AI has much lower cost structure than any of ME3, its entire annual staff cost is $300 Million, including retirees cost.
Another shocker, 6E has more employees per plane than AI including all its subs.

Crazy4Planes

Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:52 pm

Will AZ increase the upcoming FCO-DEL service to year-round after serving for 2-3 years?

killswitch13

Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:08 pm

PM Modi has announced the launching of a flight from DEL-BOM-TLV.

Irehdna

Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:36 pm

killswitch13 wrote:
PM Modi has announced the launching of a flight from DEL-BOM-TLV.

Hasn't this be proposed for a while? I believe something like May 16 was announced as launch date for DEL-TLV but that was eventually folded/delayed.

CanadaFair

Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:46 am

It was to be DEL-TLV nonstop in May.

unrave

Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:48 am

Vistara has taken taken delivery of its 2nd Neo, taking its fleet strength to 15. Well placed to reach 20 by early next year and start international ops.

anshabhi

Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:07 am

Also 8th NEO for AI!

anshabhi

Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:42 am

How many aircraft will be added to the fleet this year?
By June next year we will have 20 aircraft and as soon as we get our 21st aircraft we can fly international. Our 15th and 16th aircraft will be delivered in July and August respectively. Another two aircraft will arrive in February and March next year. We also have an option to accelerate the delivery of the planes but as of now we don’t have any plan to do anything like that.

http://www.financialexpress.com/industr ... or/751405/

unrave

Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:08 am

Meet Anny Divya, world’s youngest woman commander to fly Boeing 777

http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-new ... YYc4K.html

anshabhi

Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:46 am

News is just coming in that UDF has been waived off from Delhi Airport.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/busi ... 489239.cms

How do I get my UDF worth about 2000 back for 2 upcoming trips?

unrave wrote:
Meet Anny Divya, world’s youngest woman commander to fly Boeing 777

http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-new ... YYc4K.html

Very nice story!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos