Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Qantas16

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2017

Thu May 18, 2017 11:23 pm

eta unknown wrote:
Samoan Govt. has terrminated the Virgin Samoa agreement- last flights in OCT/NOV 2017.

It will be interesting to see how VA proceeds with their APW flights from here... will they maintain their AKL/BNE/SYD-APW flights?

I think the Samoan Government will regret making this decision, they think VA is holding them back but I can't see any other airline operating BNE-APW or probably SYD-APW either without a significant subsidy from the govt.

sq256

Thu May 18, 2017 11:38 pm

Could Tigerair's 737s make SYD/BNE-APW at full payloads? Both routes seem to be candidates for "Tigerisation" to their LCC subsidiary.

Edit: Looking at SYD-APW's flight times, perhaps not unless if seats are blocked off (payload restricted).

Qantas16

Fri May 19, 2017 2:47 am

sq256 wrote:
Could Tigerair's 737s make SYD/BNE-APW at full payloads? Both routes seem to be candidates for "Tigerisation" to their LCC subsidiary.

Edit: Looking at SYD-APW's flight times, perhaps not unless if seats are blocked off (payload restricted).

I don't think APW would be the first choice for TT. I would think VA would have more success with it... particularly given TT is not currently flying internationally, they would have to set up a whole operation (again) and hire ground handlers etc at BNE and SYD for 1 or 2 weekly flights.

Fortunately for VA, they have 10 years worth of data on the routes so will make a decision fairly quickly I would say.

ZK-NBT

Fri May 19, 2017 7:48 am

Qantas16 wrote:
eta unknown wrote:
Samoan Govt. has terrminated the Virgin Samoa agreement- last flights in OCT/NOV 2017.

It will be interesting to see how VA proceeds with their APW flights from here... will they maintain their AKL/BNE/SYD-APW flights?

I think the Samoan Government will regret making this decision, they think VA is holding them back but I can't see any other airline operating BNE-APW or probably SYD-APW either without a significant subsidy from the govt.

Hmm, so PH to relaunch international flights? With what aircraft? BNE/SYD-APW are what 3/4 weekly each? AKL is daily maybe 8 weekly.

SonOfABeech

Fri May 19, 2017 4:25 pm

ZK-NBT wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:
eta unknown wrote:

Hmm, so PH to relaunch international flights? With what aircraft? BNE/SYD-APW are what 3/4 weekly each? AKL is daily maybe 8 weekly.

I think this is what they're planning, yet.

I believe that, for a country such as Samoa it is worthwhile to have a loss making national carrier that helps keep the hotels full. Then again, it all depends on how Virgin moves from here.

redroo

Fri May 19, 2017 9:54 pm

I'm beginning to think Virgin has a serious problem. In a domestic market with essentially two players, how can you not turn a profit?

Fundamentally I think his strategy to take the airline into the higher yielding market has failed. He has pumped cost into the business but must be struggling to make the additional revenue to cover that inflated cost base. Certainly the times I've flown virgin on east/west and shorter I've been disappointed compared to the standard QF offering. The food was especially miserable on the PER flight last time I did it.

The Australian domestic market isnt big enough for two "Qantas" and Borghetti has failed to turn Virgin in "Qantas Mark II".

Where to go from here though? Personally I would refocus on being a good alternative domestic Aussie carrier that is cheaper than QF - something like a cross between jetblue and jetstar. I would ditch the Virgin and Tiger brands and just have a single brand to cater to those people who dont want to fly Qantas / dont want to pay as much as Qantas. Personally I find the Virgin brand tired. I was fun and cheeky 20 years ago in UK. I'd give up on business class, the 777 and the A330 and re-focus back on 737 flying in australia (and within easy reach of australia). Take the company private, get back in the black.

Thats my Saturday morning armchair CEO contribution :-)

Qantas16

Fri May 19, 2017 11:06 pm

SonOfABeech wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:

I think this is what they're planning, yet.

I believe that, for a country such as Samoa it is worthwhile to have a loss making national carrier that helps keep the hotels full. Then again, it all depends on how Virgin moves from here.

I don't disagree, national carriers are important for many Pacific Island nations that wouldn't get much service otherwise and can certainly help "build" a nation (SB, FJ, PX are all good examples). However, I think the Samoan Gov. thinks that VA is to blame for all their troubles and that once they are gone, it will be easy to build their own carrier. It will not only be a huge financial burden, I just struggle to see where the additional routes and frequencies come from.

AKL is the main market, with a daily NZ service (sometimes on widebody aircraft) and 6 weekly VA. BNE is 1x weekly (2x in summer peak) and SYD is 2x weekly (3x in summer peak). What more can the Samoan market reasonably justify? I'm very doubtful BNE could support 3/4x weekly unless there were connections to the US or other markets (PPT?) but even then, your yields will be horrendous.

qf2048

Sat May 20, 2017 12:51 am

I noticed this morning on flight radar JL 771 operated by 789. Is this it's first day on the route?

Zkpilot

Sat May 20, 2017 1:22 am

SYDSpotter wrote:
Zkpilot wrote:
During the past 12 months they have also paid down debt and increased cash reserves for a total net of $850 million.
So all combined in theory they actually could have had a $759m profit (which would be in the correct range for an airline it's size half that of Qantas).

The main reason for the increase in their cash balance was due to them issuing $931m of new equity/shares during the year, some of the proceeds from issuing new shares was used to pay down debt. The issuance of new shares does not have any impact on profit. So not sure how you think they could've ended up with a $759m profit ???

$769m based on the numbers. I didn't take into account a capital raising though. So yes yet another poor result from VA.

waoz1

Sat May 20, 2017 1:46 am

The West Australian Article

China Eastern officals in Perth this week discussing the start of daily Perth - Shanghai services
Likelihood is they will start a daily services by years end.

smi0006

Sat May 20, 2017 2:01 am

redroo wrote:
I'm beginning to think Virgin has a serious problem. In a domestic market with essentially two players, how can you not turn a profit?

Fundamentally I think his strategy to take the airline into the higher yielding market has failed. He has pumped cost into the business but must be struggling to make the additional revenue to cover that inflated cost base. Certainly the times I've flown virgin on east/west and shorter I've been disappointed compared to the standard QF offering. The food was especially miserable on the PER flight last time I did it.

The Australian domestic market isnt big enough for two "Qantas" and Borghetti has failed to turn Virgin in "Qantas Mark II".

Where to go from here though? Personally I would refocus on being a good alternative domestic Aussie carrier that is cheaper than QF - something like a cross between jetblue and jetstar. I would ditch the Virgin and Tiger brands and just have a single brand to cater to those people who dont want to fly Qantas / dont want to pay as much as Qantas. Personally I find the Virgin brand tired. I was fun and cheeky 20 years ago in UK. I'd give up on business class, the 777 and the A330 and re-focus back on 737 flying in australia (and within easy reach of australia). Take the company private, get back in the black.

Sounds like a good plan to me- I'd look to offer a proper mixed product like NZ. With clarity around what product gets you what, at the moment their product is terribly convoluted. Seat only, seat plus bags, works and Works deluxe replacing business class. Or even keep business if it clearly makes money. They also need to do something about their check in, not only a poor offering but looks very labour intensive compared to QF.

ZK-NBT

Sat May 20, 2017 2:04 am

qf2048 wrote:
I noticed this morning on flight radar JL 771 operated by 789. Is this it's first day on the route?

Been since the start of the NS ie late March.

qf789
Topic Author

Sat May 20, 2017 2:56 am

waoz1 wrote:

China Eastern officals in Perth this week discussing the start of daily Perth - Shanghai services

Sounds promising, here's link to the story

http://www.airlineratings.com/news/1243 ... h-flights-

jrfspa320

Sat May 20, 2017 3:30 am

qf789 wrote:
waoz1 wrote:

Just saw this myself. Might have more O&D demand than the existing service to CAN, how is the china southern service doing?

qf789
Topic Author

Sat May 20, 2017 5:18 am

waoz1 wrote:
Batik air confirms Perth
21st June double daily on a mix of 737-800,737-900er and A320s

Hoping to add Sydney and Melbourne
http://www.batikair.com/News/Details/46

Both PER flights will be operated by 739's

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western ... a7b47c5f52

qf2220

Sat May 20, 2017 5:37 am

qf789 wrote:
waoz1 wrote:

Wonder if it will have a QF code on it too?

zkncj

Sat May 20, 2017 5:54 am

Qantas16 wrote:
eta unknown wrote:

NZ could probably make it work, they make SYD-RAR work with an 789. Maybe SYD-APW could be an A321NEO route?

ZK-NBT

Sat May 20, 2017 5:58 am

zkncj wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:
eta unknown wrote:

NZ could probably make it work, they make SYD-RAR work with an 789. Maybe SYD-APW could be an A321NEO route?

SYD-RAR is subsidised I'm pretty sure. Remains to be seen weather NZ will take it on, do the bilaterals allow NZ to do it? I'm not sure they would use an A321 maybe an A320.

777ER
Head Moderator

Sat May 20, 2017 6:19 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
zkncj wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:

SYD-RAR is subsidised I'm pretty sure. Remains to be seen weather NZ will take it on, do the bilaterals allow NZ to do it? I'm not sure they would use an A321 maybe an A320.

Wouldn't be surprised to see NZ replace the B789 with an A321 on the SYD-APW route and increase frequency

zkncj

Sat May 20, 2017 6:25 am

777ER wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
zkncj wrote:

Wouldn't be surprised to see NZ replace the B789 with an A321 on the SYD-APW route and increase frequency

NZ doesn't fly SYD-APW, they do fly SYD-RAR.

Think it might be an bit long for the A321NEO? for example RAR-SYD is 7hours. With the A321 being all Y probably not the best fit.

qf789
Topic Author

Sat May 20, 2017 7:30 am

qf2220 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
waoz1 wrote:

Wonder if it will have a QF code on it too?

I would say that it would. They also codeshare on the CZ flight from PER

ZK-NBT

Sat May 20, 2017 8:20 am

I don't think a standard A321NEO could do RAR-SYD NZ aren't getting the LR version. Even with a potential narrowbody service I don't no that NZ would do more than 2 weekly.

qf789
Topic Author

Sat May 20, 2017 7:19 pm

Another QF A380 out of action

QF94 operating LAX-MEL on Friday night (Sunday arrival into MEL) had to return to LAX approximately 2 and half hours into the flight after serious engine problems with No 4. There are also unconfirmed reports of an engine fire. Engine was shut down and flight returned safely to LAX. Aircraft in question is VH-OQG.

QF94D is expected to leave LAX around 1pm LAX time Saturday and arrive in MEL around 915pm Sunday evening. QF93 for Sunday is expected to depart at 1030pm Sunday evening and arrive in LAX around 720pm Sunday evening. QF12 LAX-SYD (departing Sat Night) has been cancelled.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victor ... db3df444ef

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ourne.html

https://www.facebook.com/AIRLINESECRETS/

There is a thread open on this incident as well, refer to

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1363713

qf789
Topic Author

Sun May 21, 2017 4:37 am

VA's economy X seating is available from today

http://www.airlineratings.com/news/1244 ... alia-fleet

qf789
Topic Author

Sun May 21, 2017 12:26 pm

There were a few diversions this morning due to weather in BNE

QF652 (PER-BNE) diverted to SYD
QF51 (SIN-BNE) diverted to SYD
QF16 (LAX-BNE) diverted to NOU
QF98 (HKG-BNE) diverted to CNS
JQ673 (DRW-BNE) diverted to CNS
VA473 (PER-BNE) diverted to OOL
VA46 (DPS-BNE) diverted to OOL
EK434 (DXB-BNE) diverted to SYD
AC35 (YVR-BNE) diverted to OOL
VA101 (WLG-BNE) diverted to OOL

qf789
Topic Author

Sun May 21, 2017 12:40 pm

The leading name in "Name the QF Dreamliner" is cricketer David Boon

http://www.afr.com/brand/rear-window/pu ... 520-gw9iis

qantas747

Sun May 21, 2017 1:35 pm

qf789 wrote:

CNS seems an unusual diversion point. Perhaps loads indicate the majority of these pax had CNS as their final point? Worth QF considering a seasinal CNS-HKG if they had the slots?

Is MCY ever considered as an alternate for narrow bodies?

Qantas16

Sun May 21, 2017 10:47 pm

qantas747 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

CNS seems an unusual diversion point. Perhaps loads indicate the majority of these pax had CNS as their final point? Worth QF considering a seasinal CNS-HKG if they had the slots?

Is MCY ever considered as an alternate for narrow bodies?

I think QF98s may have been unrelated to the fog as that decision was made very early, long before any aircraft had tried to land in BNE that morning. Though for JQ673, yes I thought that was strange but JQ runs there own DRW-CNS service anyway. Something to keep in mind is that VA473 & VA46 diverted to OOL well before it's 6am curfew so there were unlikely to be staff available to handle them - this may have been a consideration for JQ673 and QF652 which were only A320/737s but had long diversions.

MCY has been used as a diversion point before - last year 2 Virgin flights from NZ diverted there when there was fog in Brisbane.

aerohottie

Sun May 21, 2017 10:50 pm

smi0006 wrote:
redroo wrote:

Sounds like a good plan to me- I'd look to offer a proper mixed product like NZ. With clarity around what product gets you what, at the moment their product is terribly convoluted. Seat only, seat plus bags, works and Works deluxe replacing business class. Or even keep business if it clearly makes money. They also need to do something about their check in, not only a poor offering but looks very labour intensive compared to QF.

Virgin need to go through the process that Air NZ went through circa 2003/4 by mapping and reinventing the entire passenger journey, from prebooking, door-to-door journey, through to post journey reengagement. Virgin doesn't seem to know who or what they are

zkncj

Mon May 22, 2017 1:53 am

aerohottie wrote:
Virgin need to go through the process that Air NZ went through circa 2003/4 by mapping and reinventing the entire passenger journey, from prebooking, door-to-door journey, through to post journey reengagement. Virgin doesn't seem to know who or what they are

Do wonder how much advise VA refused to take durring there period that NZ was involved with them, they seemed to always going the opposite to what NZ was doing (and which was working pretty well for them).

While NZ's Seats2Suit product seems to be much hated on this site, it must be working pretty well for them otherwise they wouldn't still be offering it. If anything Seat2Suits has increased NZ's short-haul target market, and poach some passengers that otherwise would of ended up on J*.

DavidByrne

Mon May 22, 2017 2:02 am

zkncj wrote:
While NZ's Seats2Suit product seems to be much hated on this site, it must be working pretty well for them otherwise they wouldn't still be offering it. If anything Seat2Suits has increased NZ's short-haul target market, and poach some passengers that otherwise would of ended up on J*.

I don't know why it should be hated - it's a system where you effectively specify what you want and only pay for that. If you want "no-frills", certainly sir. If you want more, no problem. What could be fairer than that?

smi0006

Mon May 22, 2017 2:20 am

[twoid]h[/twoid]
DavidByrne wrote:
zkncj wrote:

I don't know why it should be hated - it's a system where you effectively specify what you want and only pay for that. If you want "no-frills", certainly sir. If you want more, no problem. What could be fairer than that?

I think the key part of the product is the transparency; doesn't VA kinda offer this already with Saver, and saver lite - it's poorly communicated as to which product you're buying and what your getting; combined with changes due to times of day, or routes...

Zkpilot

Mon May 22, 2017 2:46 am

DavidByrne wrote:
zkncj wrote:

I don't think it is hated so much on shorter flights, where it is less popular is on AKL-PER flights which are quite long and AKL-HNL which really should be a longhaul product.

eta unknown

Mon May 22, 2017 3:11 am

qf789 wrote:
waoz1 wrote:
Batik air confirms Perth
21st June double daily on a mix of 737-800,737-900er and A320s

Hoping to add Sydney and Melbourne
http://www.batikair.com/News/Details/46

Both PER flights will be operated by 739's

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western ... a7b47c5f52

The ID flights will be operated by A320's, not 739's.

VapourTrails

Mon May 22, 2017 3:28 am

qf789 wrote:
The leading name in "Name the QF Dreamliner" is cricketer David Boon. http://www.afr.com/brand/rear-window/pu ... 520-gw9iis

:scared: Interesting! Well, if they put it to public vote.. if it wins, are they going to paint a big moustache on it I wonder, like the Movember campaign. :stirthepot:

Don't think the Dreamliners would ever be doing any flights to Tasmania though, regardless of the namesake connection. :eyebrow:

http://www.afr.com/brand/rear-window/pu ... 520-gw9iis, Public want first Qantas Dreamliner named 'David Boon', by Joe Aston, AFR, May 21, 2017.

Excerpt from the article:

"When Qantas announced it was running a competition through which members of the public will name the airline's eight new Dreamliners, it was only ever courting trouble. With more than 8000 entries already in, is it any wonder that the leading suggestion isn't "Charles Ulm" or "Macedon Ranges", but "David Boon"? We seriously doubt Alan Joyce will countenance such a larrikin dedication, even if the first four 787-9s will be rotating through the direct, new Perth-London route, commencing on March 24 next year.

Boonie famously sank 52 VB tinnies like a boss on the Australian squad's flight to Britain for the 1989 Ashes, a record unlikely ever to be broken for multiple reasons. Firstly, the moustachioed Tasmanian batsman in those days had more than 24 hours and three flights (Australia to Bangkok, Bangkok to Bahrain and Bahrain to Heathrow) to maintain his leisurely guzzling pace."

:airplane:

I haven't voted for names, but I was thinking about something to do with the centenary of QF, maybe former 747 Captains or something like that. To tribute the old, with the new.

DavidByrne

Mon May 22, 2017 4:21 am

Zkpilot wrote:
DavidByrne wrote:
zkncj wrote:

I don't think it is hated so much on shorter flights, where it is less popular is on AKL-PER flights which are quite long and AKL-HNL which really should be a longhaul product.

I still don't get why Seats2Suit should be less popular as a concept on these flights. No one is FORCED to take a no frills flight on AKL-PER or AKL-HNL. Just like the shorter sectors, you get what you pay for. You want all the frills? Book Works Deluxe - end of story! For someone like me, who travels with a spare pair of underwear and a toothbrush and sleeps most of the way, seat-only is just fine, and I'm really happy that you can do that on a flight like AKL-PER.

Qantas16

Mon May 22, 2017 7:20 am

Anyone know what happened to the Qantas plan to fly milk from Hobart to China that was announced late last year and meant to start in the first quarter of 2017?

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/n ... 623162fc0f

From looking at the flight history for their sole 767 (VH-EFR) is hasn't done any flights like this recently...

qf789
Topic Author

Mon May 22, 2017 2:45 pm

An Israeli Air Force 707 arrived in PER earlier today

http://australianaviation.com.au/2017/0 ... -in-perth/

qf789
Topic Author

Mon May 22, 2017 3:20 pm

On Sunday (21/5) VA610 MKY-BNE diverted to ROK after fumes on board the aircraft were reported making several cabin crew members unwell

http://avherald.com/h?article=4a947fee&opt=0

redroo

Mon May 22, 2017 9:37 pm

The NZ seat2suit model is the opposite of what Borghetti wanted Virgin to become... namely Qantas Mrk II. In hindsight, it was probably the model they needed to adopt to compete at the bottom and in the middle with JQ and QF... but Borghetti was obsessed with competing with QF at the top end.

I really wish they could turn things around because Qantas NEEDS a decent competitor in its home market. Australia needs a decent Qantas competitor domestically. Right now

qf789
Topic Author

Tue May 23, 2017 9:58 am

A woman has been banned from VA for life after hurling racial insults at a Sydney family on a flight to NAN on the 4th of May

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2017/0 ... ney-family

qf789
Topic Author

Tue May 23, 2017 10:23 am

Update on VH-OQG

QF believes the engine failed due to a problem with the low pressure turbine
The faulty engine is being sent to RR for further investigation
ATSB has opened an investigation
A replacement engine will be fitted to the aircraft and will be returned to service later this week

http://www.airlineratings.com/news/1250 ... k-to-rolls

Qantas16

Tue May 23, 2017 12:48 pm

qf789 wrote:
A woman has been banned from VA for life after hurling racial insults at a Sydney family on a flight to NAN on the 4th of May

Good. Disgusting behaviour.

qf789
Topic Author

Tue May 23, 2017 3:09 pm

Qantas16 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Good. Disgusting behaviour.

Its a shame QF couldn't be added to the list as the offending passenger would have been stuck in Fiji

qf789
Topic Author

Tue May 23, 2017 3:27 pm

Vegemite is pushing the name the Dreamliner quite hard. I hope we don't have a QF 787 looking like this

https://twitter.com/Vegemite?ref_src=tw ... r%5Eauthor

luftaom

Tue May 23, 2017 4:11 pm

[from the QF page]

Entries are limited to one per individual. The entry must be:

a) the original independent creation of the entrant; and
b) free from any claims, including but not restricted to copyright or trademark claims, by other parties.

I just checked and there are 34 'Vegemite' trademarks on the Australian register (I would expect that it is trademarked in other jurisdictions as well).

smallvoyageur

Tue May 23, 2017 6:17 pm

If QF want something that is truly Australian in the 21st century, what about #HalalSnackPack? :lol: :duck:

RyanairGuru

Tue May 23, 2017 7:46 pm

I take it there is fog in Brisbane again? Both JTE7443 and VA473 completed a missed approach followed by doughnuts over Moreton Island, QF652 attempted a landing and is now doing laps of the Gold Coast, and JQ673 made one attempt and is diverting to SYD.

EDIT: JTE4773 made another unsuccessful attempt, VA473 is diverting to OOL, QF652 to SYD

RyanairGuru

Tue May 23, 2017 8:30 pm

QF52 also diverted to SYD and OD157 to OOL (since when have Malindo flown to BNE?)

Qantas16

Tue May 23, 2017 10:46 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
QF52 also diverted to SYD and OD157 to OOL (since when have Malindo flown to BNE?)

Also QF62 has diverted to SYD. Malindo started KUL-DPS-BNE flights on April 1st this year.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos