zkncj
Posts: 2462
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2017

Sat May 13, 2017 8:25 am

QF46 wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/272790/china-airlines-nw17-australia-new-zealand-service-changes/

CI changes from DEC 1st no more Tasman ex SYD to AKL/CHC, SYD goes A359 and increase to 14 weekly from 7 last NW, BNE daily with daily AKL service A333 from 5 weekly last year overall AKL reduces 10 to 7 weekly MEL-CHC 3 weekly A333 same as last year overall CHC reduces 6 to 3 weekly with end of SYD-CHC.

Interesting big increase to SYD, I expect about connections, they start LGW later in the year.


Any thoughts as to why there's no non-stop AKL-TPE service? The route's existed previously (served by NZ, at least), and the number of CI services across the Tasman suggests that the demand is there.


Think for an short period Eva also tried TPE-AKL, think it was in the 90s?
 
ZK-NBT
Posts: 5651
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2000 5:42 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2017

Sat May 13, 2017 9:13 am

In the past I don't think CI/BR have really been in it for the connections from OZ/NZ beyond TPE, given their reasonably low frequency 2-4 weekly. And I'm don't not sure the NZ or even OZ Taiwan O&D itself is overly huge to command an AKL non stop.

This looks to be changing with SYD going from 5-7 weekly to 14 and starting LGW this year and BNE goes daily extending to AKL still, MEL-CHC will be in its third season this coming year.

BR flew to AKL for several years on and off 1993/2008 both non stop TPE-AKL and via BNE with 763's then A332's maybe M11's which certainly visited maybe just as CNY charters? BR also flew to SYD and I think MEL via SYD at one point but have only had BNE for years now.

NZ flew to TPE from 1994? 2006 with 763's both via BNE and non stop, NZ and BR codeshared for a time with NZ operating NS and BR NW for a while. I'm not sure NZ made money doing it like quite a bit of their Asian expansion in the 1990's. I don't see them returning anytime soon personally.

Maybe going foward we might see a CI non stop to AKL with fuel efficient aircraft? Say 3 weekly non stop 4 via BNE or something? As they add more European destinations.
 
User avatar
Zkpilot
Posts: 3997
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:21 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2017

Sun May 14, 2017 2:27 pm

ZK-NBT wrote:
In the past I don't think CI/BR have really been in it for the connections from OZ/NZ beyond TPE, given their reasonably low frequency 2-4 weekly. And I'm don't not sure the NZ or even OZ Taiwan O&D itself is overly huge to command an AKL non stop.

This looks to be changing with SYD going from 5-7 weekly to 14 and starting LGW this year and BNE goes daily extending to AKL still, MEL-CHC will be in its third season this coming year.

BR flew to AKL for several years on and off 1993/2008 both non stop TPE-AKL and via BNE with 763's then A332's maybe M11's which certainly visited maybe just as CNY charters? BR also flew to SYD and I think MEL via SYD at one point but have only had BNE for years now.

NZ flew to TPE from 1994? 2006 with 763's both via BNE and non stop, NZ and BR codeshared for a time with NZ operating NS and BR NW for a while. I'm not sure NZ made money doing it like quite a bit of their Asian expansion in the 1990's. I don't see them returning anytime soon personally.

Maybe going foward we might see a CI non stop to AKL with fuel efficient aircraft? Say 3 weekly non stop 4 via BNE or something? As they add more European destinations.

I did hear that China (PRC) basically said NZ can fly to PRC but not ROC (Taiwan) at the same time since they still consider ROC to be theirs and ongoing flights legitimises ROC.
57 types. 38 countries. 24 airlines.
 
DavidByrne
Posts: 903
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:42 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2017

Sun May 14, 2017 8:21 pm

Zkpilot wrote:
Idid hear that China (PRC) basically said NZ can fly to PRC but not ROC (Taiwan) at the same time since they still consider ROC to be theirs and ongoing flights legitimises ROC.

Didn't this kind of impediment disappear years ago? Are there not now many airlines from all over which serve both the ROC and PRC?
This is not my beautiful house . . . This is not my beautiful wife
 
Gemuser
Posts: 4611
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:07 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2017

Sun May 14, 2017 11:01 pm

DavidByrne wrote:
Zkpilot wrote:
Idid hear that China (PRC) basically said NZ can fly to PRC but not ROC (Taiwan) at the same time since they still consider ROC to be theirs and ongoing flights legitimises ROC.

Didn't this kind of impediment disappear years ago? Are there not now many airlines from all over which serve both the ROC and PRC?

It did basically go away for privately owned airlines. As NZ is partly,[majority?] owned by the NZ government the Chinese government could still have problems with NZ serving both.

Gemuser
 
DavidByrne
Posts: 903
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:42 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2017

Mon May 15, 2017 1:42 am

Gemuser wrote:
DavidByrne wrote:
Zkpilot wrote:
Idid hear that China (PRC) basically said NZ can fly to PRC but not ROC (Taiwan) at the same time since they still consider ROC to be theirs and ongoing flights legitimises ROC.

Didn't this kind of impediment disappear years ago? Are there not now many airlines from all over which serve both the ROC and PRC?

It did basically go away for privately owned airlines. As NZ is partly,[majority?] owned by the NZ government the Chinese government could still have problems with NZ serving both.

Gemuser

Is that for real? Are there other examples where state-owned carriers have been prevented from flying to both ROC and PRC?
This is not my beautiful house . . . This is not my beautiful wife
 
downdata
Posts: 321
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:38 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2017

Mon May 15, 2017 2:24 am

Gemuser wrote:
DavidByrne wrote:
Zkpilot wrote:
Idid hear that China (PRC) basically said NZ can fly to PRC but not ROC (Taiwan) at the same time since they still consider ROC to be theirs and ongoing flights legitimises ROC.

Didn't this kind of impediment disappear years ago? Are there not now many airlines from all over which serve both the ROC and PRC?

It did basically go away for privately owned airlines. As NZ is partly,[majority?] owned by the NZ government the Chinese government could still have problems with NZ serving both.

Gemuser


Eh... don't Singapore and Scoot fly to TPE?
 
User avatar
Zkpilot
Posts: 3997
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:21 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2017

Mon May 15, 2017 2:29 am

downdata wrote:
Gemuser wrote:
DavidByrne wrote:
Didn't this kind of impediment disappear years ago? Are there not now many airlines from all over which serve both the ROC and PRC?

It did basically go away for privately owned airlines. As NZ is partly,[majority?] owned by the NZ government the Chinese government could still have problems with NZ serving both.

Gemuser


Eh... don't Singapore and Scoot fly to TPE?

I think SQ may have flown into both Chine and TPE before China became the economic powerhouse it now is.
The restrictions may have disappeared now I just remember there was a time when China (PRC) played hardball with airlines trying to serve both.
57 types. 38 countries. 24 airlines.
 
downdata
Posts: 321
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:38 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2017

Mon May 15, 2017 2:39 am

Zkpilot wrote:
downdata wrote:
Gemuser wrote:
It did basically go away for privately owned airlines. As NZ is partly,[majority?] owned by the NZ government the Chinese government could still have problems with NZ serving both.

Gemuser


Eh... don't Singapore and Scoot fly to TPE?

I think SQ may have flown into both Chine and TPE before China became the economic powerhouse it now is.
The restrictions may have disappeared now I just remember there was a time when China (PRC) played hardball with airlines trying to serve both.


Makes sense. But I doubt they can apply the same logic / diplomatic pressure nowadays when there are more than 8(!) different Chinese mainland airlines fly to TPE directly.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 3577
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2017

Mon May 15, 2017 4:40 am

UA will operate 789 instead of 788 on UA73/74 3 weekly SFO-AKL for entire NW17/18

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... f-12may17/
Forum Moderator
 
SA744
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:13 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2017

Mon May 15, 2017 9:03 am

Hi Everyone
I was just thinking about Air NZ flight to EZE and would it make sense for them to continue the flight to JNB. I know MH used to do it with 5 freedom rights, do you think they have considered the possibilities. Just a random though on a monday evening.
 
Sylus
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:14 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2017

Mon May 15, 2017 9:13 am

SA744 wrote:
Hi Everyone
I was just thinking about Air NZ flight to EZE and would it make sense for them to continue the flight to JNB. I know MH used to do it with 5 freedom rights, do you think they have considered the possibilities. Just a random though on a monday evening.


Can't imagine there would be any incentive in doing this. It's quicker to fly to JNB via SYD or PER so therefore a JNB flight would be more efficiently served via Aussie. It's a long way either way but i'd rather take the shortest possible route and as such I wouldn't have thought this flight would attract sufficient demand - perhaps some from EZE and from other ports in Argentina. Pretty sure SA tried and ceased this route a wee while ago, probably with an inefficient A340 though.
 
hornetfan
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:56 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2017

Mon May 15, 2017 9:51 am

DavidByrne wrote:
Can't think of anything worse than being in Munich in October with a few hundred thousand drunks! I was in Helsinki some years ago on 1 May, and that was an extraordinary scene of mass public drunkenness (and I mean mass!) on a scale I'd never believed possible . . .


You should try Australia on Melbourne Cup day, never seen anything like it in my life. That includes sporting events in the UK in the 80's
 
DavidByrne
Posts: 903
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:42 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2017

Mon May 15, 2017 1:56 pm

SA744 wrote:
Hi Everyone
I was just thinking about Air NZ flight to EZE and would it make sense for them to continue the flight to JNB. I know MH used to do it with 5 freedom rights, do you think they have considered the possibilities. Just a random though on a monday evening.

Interesting you should suggest this. I remember many years ago the then CEO of NZ (sorry, can't remember which one) speculated in the media about future services to EZE and JNB. He postulated a possible AKL-(intermediate point?)-JNB-EZE-AKL route as an option. In effect, a southern RTW service.

The world and the airline industry have moved on and such a route would not now be remotely possible on economic grounds in my view. But interestingly, you're not the first to have thought about this - at least some within the airline itself must have given it some level of consideration. I'm sure the MH experience would have given them pause for thought. The overwhelming downside is that you'd have to sell it as three individual sectors as no one would willingly fly AKL-JNB-EZE when they could fly directly in the opposite direction. Or JNB-AKL-EZE likewise. For NZ, selling EZE-JNB as a stand-alone sector would be a marketing department's nightmare!
This is not my beautiful house . . . This is not my beautiful wife
 
ZK-NBT
Posts: 5651
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2000 5:42 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2017

Mon May 15, 2017 11:57 pm

That's interesting and random alright but weird the airline had thought of AKL-EZE-JNB.

If NZ go to JNB anytime they will try and do it non stop ex AKL.

I am surprised they didn't try Either though with 744's in the 1990's via MEL maybe for JNB.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 3577
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2017

Tue May 16, 2017 5:40 am

SQ to cancel 3 flights on capital express service later in the year due to weaker demand. Services ex WLG will not operate on 14 August, 5 September and 24 October

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/9264436 ... ss-service
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
77west
Posts: 866
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:52 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2017

Tue May 16, 2017 6:07 am

qf789 wrote:
SQ to cancel 3 flights on capital express service later in the year due to weaker demand. Services ex WLG will not operate on 14 August, 5 September and 24 October

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/9264436 ... ss-service


So only 1 rotation per month? Thats a pretty small cut. Usually they would cut one of the daily rotations permanently.
77West - AW109S - BE90 - JS31 - B1900 - Q300 - ATR72 - DC9-30 - MD80 - B733 - A320 - B738 - A300-B4 - B773 - B77W
 
ZKOXA
Posts: 81
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:47 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2017

Tue May 16, 2017 7:57 am

VH-XZD is doing night flying tests in Queenstown, just days after Virgin Australia was doing tests of their own. Is this somehow related or not? This must be in prep of flights they will begin. Will they be using the Jetconnect aircraft or will they be using the newer Australian registered aircraft for the ops and this is the aircraft doing the tests? If so, is there a reason why the Jetconnect cannot fly into Queenstown at night?

ZKOXA
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss
 
Whoopeecock
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:35 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2017

Wed May 17, 2017 5:22 am

Mind reading on a Air NZ flight near you... http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/9269 ... ht-service
 
User avatar
mariner
Posts: 19077
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2001 7:29 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2017

Wed May 17, 2017 7:05 am

Whoopeecock wrote:
Mind reading on a Air NZ flight near you... http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/9269 ... ht-service


Taking all the fun out of life.

mariner
aeternum nauta
 
coolian2
Posts: 2328
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:34 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2017

Wed May 17, 2017 12:25 pm

Well. For the first two times I can actively recall, I've had on-time trips on Air New Zealand.

One was Mount Cook, but jeez the ATR doesn't feel like a turboprop once you're on board. The other was an A320 and I pulled my usual "If possible, on arrival may I get a chance to see the flight deck?" line. On a few flights they've come back to me later with "Not tonight" by which point I actually just wanted to get to bed. The last one the rear FA was talking to me and the purser got on the PA, looked me in the eyes and said "We won't wait all night". I cringed, but got to finally smash my face on the overhead panel getting into the right hand seat.

I really respect any crew who actually approve me asking without turning dirty on me, as I'm usually last flight of the day, and I certainly don't want to fanboy around on the flight deck when someone just wants to go home, and I straight up say it.

Also kudos to Jetstar for changing my girlfriend's opinion of them. 20+ minute delay on departure due to a moron walking past security, and a five minute early arrival, and our bag was out first.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/CRJ-700/-900
 
User avatar
aerorobnz
Posts: 7929
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2001 3:43 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2017

Wed May 17, 2017 1:23 pm

mariner wrote:
Whoopeecock wrote:
Mind reading on a Air NZ flight near you... http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/9269 ... ht-service


Taking all the fun out of life.

mariner

Here I was thinking that being intuitive and empathetic were attributes that people either have or have not. That truly is just technology for technology's sake. Meaningless waste of time gimmicks like this will never substitute for good customer service anyway. Besides, If someone with a fancy headband like that came up and asked me what's wrong, they would get a short, sharp "Was that you or your headband that worked it out"? - Those of us that just have faces that look pensive and serious at rest are going to get extremely pissed off at being asked "what's wrong" all the time. Anyone who has ever been told to "cheer up, it may never happen" when they are not unhappy will understand how stupid and patronizing this concept is.

I for one hope it never happens. Just be good at your job without the fancy headband...
Flown to 128 Airports in 48 Countries on 81 Operators. Visited 56 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.
 
ZKOJH
Posts: 1493
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:51 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2017

Thu May 18, 2017 2:47 pm

"New Zealand's FlyStark to cease scheduled ops over winter"

FlyStark (Whitianga) has announced on its Facebook page that it will suspend all scheduled flights effective immediately, for the duration of the southern hemisphere's winter season.

The New Zealand charter and scenic flight specialist has said that winter conditions and a shortage of daylight hours have led to the decision.

"To provide a 100% scheduled service FlyStark believes it has to have the appropriate aircraft, while our existing aircraft are the latest available they do not have the capabilities to fly in adverse weather," the statement says.

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... ver-winter
Vietnam time..
 
ZKOJH
Posts: 1493
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:51 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2017

Thu May 18, 2017 2:49 pm

we are getting closer to it.

"AirNZ touts 'innovative' inflight WiFi pricing in launch lead-up"

Air New Zealand is moving steadily towards the launch of inflight internet on domestic and international flights, with the airline now running the numbers on how it will price its sky-high WiFi connectivity,

“We’ve got several scenarios that I think will be quite innovative and quite clever,” Air New Zealand CEO Christopher Luxon told Australian Business Traveller on the sidelines of an international Star Alliance media gathering in Frankfurt.

“It’s important that when we do launch, we launch with a comprehensive solution and we also want to make sure in a classic Air New Zealand way that we do it a little bit differently while still meeting the needs of our customers.”

The Star Alliance member "will begin rolling out inflight Wi-Fi on its jet services towards the end of 2017" a spokeswoman for the airline confirmed to Australian Business Traveller, although refusing to confirm which aircraft or routes would be first to see the satellite service.

https://www.ausbt.com.au/airnz-touts-in ... ch-lead-up
Vietnam time..
 
ZKOJH
Posts: 1493
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:51 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2017

Thu May 18, 2017 3:00 pm

"AirNZ CEO: Emirates' trans-Tasman A380 flights 'not a big threat'

Air New Zealand is confident of holding onto its half of the trans-Tasman travel pie, despite the presence of Emirates' Airbus A380 superjumbos – replete with business class seats and first class suites – darting daily from Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane to Auckland and back.

"The Tasman has always been a very contested piece of water," observes Air New Zealand CEO Christopher Luxon, speaking to Australian Business Traveller on the sidelines of an international Star Alliance media briefing in Frankfurt, "but we've been able to maintain our share pretty well on the Tasman."

Alongside partner Virgin Australia the Star Alliance member claims 52% of Australians flying to New Zealand and back.

"The real challenge is the a number of 'fifth freedom' flyers that are on the route now," Luxon adds – flights which, under commercial aviation rights, permit an airline from one country to carry passengers between two other countries.

Emirates is the most noticeable of these fifth freedom players across the Tasman, buoyed by its Qantas partnership.

https://www.ausbt.com.au/airnz-ceo-emir ... big-threat
Vietnam time..
 
aklrno
Posts: 1325
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2017

Fri May 19, 2017 6:12 am

coolian2 wrote:
Well. For the first two times I can actively recall, I've had on-time trips on Air New Zealand.

One was Mount Cook, but jeez the ATR doesn't feel like a turboprop once you're on board. The other was an A320 and I pulled my usual "If possible, on arrival may I get a chance to see the flight deck?" line. On a few flights they've come back to me later with "Not tonight" by which point I actually just wanted to get to bed. The last one the rear FA was talking to me and the purser got on the PA, looked me in the eyes and said "We won't wait all night". I cringed, but got to finally smash my face on the overhead panel getting into the right hand seat.

I really respect any crew who actually approve me asking without turning dirty on me, as I'm usually last flight of the day, and I certainly don't want to fanboy around on the flight deck when someone just wants to go home, and I straight up say it.


A couple of years ago I was flying AKL-WLG on Christmas day. I had been in the Warehouse the day before and got some clearance sale tiny boxes of candy for the crew. Cost about $12 total.
The crew was VERY happy. On the way out the pilot pulled me into the cockpit for a look around, sat me in his seat, took my picture at the controls. Funny thing was I had someone waiting for me and was in a hurry to get out, but didn't want to spoil his day.
 
SA744
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:13 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2017

Fri May 19, 2017 8:54 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
That's interesting and random alright but weird the airline had thought of AKL-EZE-JNB.

If NZ go to JNB anytime they will try and do it non stop ex AKL.

I am surprised they didn't try Either though with 744's in the 1990's via MEL maybe for JNB.


There was rumour in the early 2000's that NZ were going to start JNB, not sure why it did not happen, i suppose it would make sense to continue there PER flight onto JNB give SAA a bit of competition and SAA are flying a pretty old A340 on the route. Again it comes down to availability of aircraft
 
ZK-NBT
Posts: 5651
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2000 5:42 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2017

Fri May 19, 2017 9:30 am

SA744 wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
That's interesting and random alright but weird the airline had thought of AKL-EZE-JNB.

If NZ go to JNB anytime they will try and do it non stop ex AKL.

I am surprised they didn't try Either though with 744's in the 1990's via MEL maybe for JNB.


There was rumour in the early 2000's that NZ were going to start JNB, not sure why it did not happen, i suppose it would make sense to continue there PER flight onto JNB give SAA a bit of competition and SAA are flying a pretty old A340 on the route. Again it comes down to availability of aircraft


SA were still running 747's to PER until what 2003/04, then A340's, QF also ran PER-JNB until 2002/03, maybe when QF switched to SYD-JNB non stop NZ considered PER-JNB. NZ codeshare with SA PER-JNB and SA code on PER-AKL, if NZ do JNB it would likely be AKL-JNB non stop given their policy on no more one stop flights.
 
ZKOXA
Posts: 81
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:47 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2017

Fri May 19, 2017 8:52 pm

What is the reason behind lots of additional flights to Invercargill this morning, not only from Auckland but Wellington also?

ZKOXA
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss
 
ZK-NBT
Posts: 5651
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2000 5:42 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2017

Fri May 19, 2017 9:19 pm

ZKOXA wrote:
What is the reason behind lots of additional flights to Invercargill this morning, not only from Auckland but Wellington also?

ZKOXA


A religious group charter isn't it?!
 
DavidByrne
Posts: 903
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:42 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2017

Fri May 19, 2017 9:43 pm

Am I correct in thinking that South Africa is a market in decline, anyway? That the SA diaspora feel an ever-decreasing need/desire to revisit their roots?
This is not my beautiful house . . . This is not my beautiful wife
 
User avatar
sunrisevalley
Posts: 5392
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:26 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2017

Fri May 19, 2017 10:03 pm

ZK-NBT wrote:
if NZ do JNB it would likely be AKL-JNB non stop given their policy on no more one stop flights.


If the typical westbound PER-JNB sector time is any indication AKL-JNB could be a 16hr sector. Another matter might be relevant is that the track is well off the EDTO track . Not sure how that would play out. Might be a route best flown from MEL or PER. The BITRE data would suggest that there is little or no room for a second carrier from PER.
 
NPL8800
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:00 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2017

Fri May 19, 2017 10:19 pm

ZK-NBT wrote:
ZKOXA wrote:
What is the reason behind lots of additional flights to Invercargill this morning, not only from Auckland but Wellington also?

ZKOXA


A religious group charter isn't it?!


It's for the Bluff Oyster Festival, Air NZ was offering special day packages a few months ago which included non stop AKL flights and additional WLG ones
 
ZK-NBT
Posts: 5651
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2000 5:42 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2017

Fri May 19, 2017 10:46 pm

NPL8800 wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
ZKOXA wrote:
What is the reason behind lots of additional flights to Invercargill this morning, not only from Auckland but Wellington also?

ZKOXA


A religious group charter isn't it?!


It's for the Bluff Oyster Festival, Air NZ was offering special day packages a few months ago which included non stop AKL flights and additional WLG ones


Ah I see cheers.
DavidByrne wrote:
Am I correct in thinking that South Africa is a market in decline, anyway? That the SA diaspora feel an ever-decreasing need/desire to revisit their roots?


No idea TBH.
 
PA515
Posts: 1124
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:17 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2017

Sat May 20, 2017 12:07 am

NPL8800 wrote:
It's for the Bluff Oyster Festival, Air NZ was offering special day packages a few months ago which included non stop AKL flights and additional WLG ones


They're welcome. A high of 8 degrees. Sleety showers easing in the evening. Cold, gale southwesterlies gusting 100 km/h, easing at night.
http://www.metservice.com/towns-cities/invercargill

Somehow they have squeezed in three A320s and an ATR at IVC. Maybe there will be a photo.

PA515
 
User avatar
LamboAston
Posts: 549
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:46 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2017

Sat May 20, 2017 2:18 am

Sorry I can't get there to get a photo - stuck in a blizzard in Dunedin
AS350, B733/4/7/8, B744/8, B762/3, B77E/L/W, B789, A319, A320, A321, A332, A346, A380, AT73/5/6, Q300, Q400, CR2/7, E190, S340, B1900C/D, E110 (E for epic)
NZ, EK, QF, SQ, UA, US, CO, FZ, FR, U2, BA, VA, VS, MH, EI, EY, LH, EN, NM, TG, GZ
 
PA515
Posts: 1124
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:17 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2017

Sat May 20, 2017 3:40 am

LamboAston wrote:
Sorry I can't get there to get a photo - stuck in a blizzard in Dunedin


Lived in DUD for about six months. Some of the people I knew kept sleeping bags in their cars in case of blizzards.

With this strong southerly there's a chance tomorrow morning's ANZ031 could head due north from about 55 degrees south. Unfortunately the flight plan details don't usually appear on flightaware until well into the flight. If it takes this route it should be within range of the IVC and DUD flightradar24 receivers about 0300.

The Victoria University weather map looks a bit different from the metservice map. Unfortunately can't post a link to the metvuw.com version.

PA515
 
PA515
Posts: 1124
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:17 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2017

Sat May 20, 2017 4:31 am

ZK-NZK has just departed EZE.
https://www.flightradar24.com/ANZ31/d729978

PA515
 
NPL8800
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:00 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2017

Sat May 20, 2017 4:40 am

PA515 wrote:
NPL8800 wrote:
It's for the Bluff Oyster Festival, Air NZ was offering special day packages a few months ago which included non stop AKL flights and additional WLG ones


They're welcome. A high of 8 degrees. Sleety showers easing in the evening. Cold, gale southwesterlies gusting 100 km/h, easing at night.
http://www.metservice.com/towns-cities/invercargill

Somehow they have squeezed in three A320s and an ATR at IVC. Maybe there will be a photo.

PA515


Haha they'll be getting a true southland experience. 3 A320s at one time would have been quite a sight, years ago I recall seeing images of 2 QF 737s that had diverted from ZQN
 
User avatar
LamboAston
Posts: 549
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:46 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2017

Sat May 20, 2017 5:44 am

PA515 wrote:
LamboAston wrote:
Sorry I can't get there to get a photo - stuck in a blizzard in Dunedin


Lived in DUD for about six months. Some of the people I knew kept sleeping bags in their cars in case of blizzards.

With this strong southerly there's a chance tomorrow morning's ANZ031 could head due north from about 55 degrees south. Unfortunately the flight plan details don't usually appear on flightaware until well into the flight. If it takes this route it should be within range of the IVC and DUD flightradar24 receivers about 0300.

The Victoria University weather map looks a bit different from the metservice map. Unfortunately can't post a link to the metvuw.com version.

PA515

At least I don't live in South D - you need to keep gumboots in your car there.
AS350, B733/4/7/8, B744/8, B762/3, B77E/L/W, B789, A319, A320, A321, A332, A346, A380, AT73/5/6, Q300, Q400, CR2/7, E190, S340, B1900C/D, E110 (E for epic)
NZ, EK, QF, SQ, UA, US, CO, FZ, FR, U2, BA, VA, VS, MH, EI, EY, LH, EN, NM, TG, GZ
 
User avatar
aerorobnz
Posts: 7929
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2001 3:43 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2017

Sat May 20, 2017 6:10 am

The time for South Africa has passed,
- EDTO/payload restrictions/Flight times that may well be prohibitive to 'every day' profitability (JNB is 5558 ft above sealevel)
- South Africa now requires a visit to Wellington to their embassy to gain a paper visa for NZ passport holders
- South African Rand has devalued by 30% in 2016. (and halved over the last 5 years) so the South Africans that can afford to travel reduces all the time.

Don't get me wrong, I have visited South Africa twice (prior to requiring visa), it's a great place to visit with plenty to offer, but as long as Jacob Zuma (Robert Mugabe lite) remains in power it's not going to be flown. I used to be in favour of it back in the early 2000s but the moment looks to have passed.
Flown to 128 Airports in 48 Countries on 81 Operators. Visited 56 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.
 
User avatar
LamboAston
Posts: 549
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:46 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2017

Sun May 21, 2017 1:02 am

Does anyone know what aircraft Ed Sheeran will be using for his tour? And whether it will fly into CHC or DUD for his Dunedin show(s)?
AS350, B733/4/7/8, B744/8, B762/3, B77E/L/W, B789, A319, A320, A321, A332, A346, A380, AT73/5/6, Q300, Q400, CR2/7, E190, S340, B1900C/D, E110 (E for epic)
NZ, EK, QF, SQ, UA, US, CO, FZ, FR, U2, BA, VA, VS, MH, EI, EY, LH, EN, NM, TG, GZ
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 3577
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2017

Sun May 21, 2017 12:45 pm

Queenstown airport has launched an investigation after a JQ flight departed after the airports night time curfew

http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/travel-tr ... ime-curfew
Forum Moderator
 
PA515
Posts: 1124
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:17 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2017

Sun May 21, 2017 1:02 pm

LamboAston wrote:
Does anyone know what aircraft Ed Sheeran will be using for his tour? And whether it will fly into CHC or DUD for his Dunedin show(s)?

I doubt anyone knows as his tour is not until March 2018.

PA515
 
PA515
Posts: 1124
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:17 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2017

Sun May 21, 2017 1:29 pm

Air NZ must be getting the cabin-flex version of the A321NEO, available from about May 2018.

Air New Zealand had previously said it's long-range 777-300ER and short range A321NEO would be first on the list to be kitted out with the satellite tech, however the A321NEO deliveries have now been pushed back to sometime in 2018.


https://www.ausbt.com.au/airnz-touts-in ... ch-lead-up

Presumably the two 2017 A321NEO deliveries are being swapped with two 2018 A320NEO deliveries.

PA515
 
PA515
Posts: 1124
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:17 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2017

Sun May 21, 2017 2:49 pm

PA515 wrote:
Presumably the two 2017 A321NEO deliveries are being swapped with two 2018 A320NEO deliveries.


Looks like there won't be any NEO deliveries to Air NZ in 2017. Had another look at these reports on selection of the Acro seats for the NEOs.

FlightGlobal 04 Apr 2017.
Deliveries are scheduled to begin in 2018, Acro senior vice-president sales Alan McInnes tells FlightGlobal.


Australian Aviation 05 Apr 2017.
Air New Zealand says its new Airbus A320neos due for delivery from 2018 will feature wider seats than on the airline's current narrowbody fleet.


PA515
 
User avatar
Zkpilot
Posts: 3997
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:21 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2017

Mon May 22, 2017 2:28 am

PA515 wrote:
PA515 wrote:
Presumably the two 2017 A321NEO deliveries are being swapped with two 2018 A320NEO deliveries.


Looks like there won't be any NEO deliveries to Air NZ in 2017. Had another look at these reports on selection of the Acro seats for the NEOs.

FlightGlobal 04 Apr 2017.
Deliveries are scheduled to begin in 2018, Acro senior vice-president sales Alan McInnes tells FlightGlobal.


Australian Aviation 05 Apr 2017.
Air New Zealand says its new Airbus A320neos due for delivery from 2018 will feature wider seats than on the airline's current narrowbody fleet.


PA515

Well, probably a good thing from NZ's point of view. Oil prices are still low so any fuel burn savings are probably negated by the increased capital costs. The old A320s aren't that old and 99% of customers couldn't tell the difference in any case. Just gotta keep the interiors up to scratch and all good.
57 types. 38 countries. 24 airlines.
 
User avatar
77west
Posts: 866
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:52 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2017

Mon May 22, 2017 7:03 am

qf789 wrote:
Queenstown airport has launched an investigation after a JQ flight departed after the airports night time curfew

http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/travel-tr ... ime-curfew


I (and this is a first time for me) agree with the JQ pilot 100%. 14 minutes due to the extreme weather - surely there is some leeway due to events of mother nature? I agree finding accom for 200 people on a Saturday in QN would be almost impossible. I expect JQ ops approved the departure, knowing they would be fined.
77West - AW109S - BE90 - JS31 - B1900 - Q300 - ATR72 - DC9-30 - MD80 - B733 - A320 - B738 - A300-B4 - B773 - B77W
 
Qantas16
Posts: 324
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:51 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2017

Mon May 22, 2017 7:22 am

77west wrote:
qf789 wrote:
Queenstown airport has launched an investigation after a JQ flight departed after the airports night time curfew

http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/travel-tr ... ime-curfew


I (and this is a first time for me) agree with the JQ pilot 100%. 14 minutes due to the extreme weather - surely there is some leeway due to events of mother nature? I agree finding accom for 200 people on a Saturday in QN would be almost impossible. I expect JQ ops approved the departure, knowing they would be fined.


You agree with the JQ pilot in breaking the rules? Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of airport curfews but if they exist, you are expected to follow them unless you get permission otherwise.
 
zkncj
Posts: 2462
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2017

Mon May 22, 2017 7:32 am

PA515 wrote:
Air NZ must be getting the cabin-flex version of the A321NEO, available from about May 2018.

Air New Zealand had previously said it's long-range 777-300ER and short range A321NEO would be first on the list to be kitted out with the satellite tech, however the A321NEO deliveries have now been pushed back to sometime in 2018.


https://www.ausbt.com.au/airnz-touts-in ... ch-lead-up

Presumably the two 2017 A321NEO deliveries are being swapped with two 2018 A320NEO deliveries.

PA515


Its hard to know with NZ and aircraft deliveries, they often talk in FY rather than calendar years. Which sometimes does get mixed up by the Media, namely Australian media as everyone does JAN-DEC. We're as FY18 for NZ start on 1 July 2017.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos