Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

embraer175e2
Topic Author

re-engine and composite on 30-50 seat jets.

Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:48 pm

Could it be time to reegine those crj100/200 and erj135/45 aircraft?

Also new composite bodies and maybe wings on them? Beter efficiency more range and better hot high performance on the erj's.

Maybe more spacious cabins with more cargo capibilities.

Not to talk about a legacy style sidestick with new avionics cockpit in f.e. the erj135/45

embraer175e2
Topic Author

Re: re-engine and composite on 30-50 seat jets.

Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:50 pm

Is the technology there for better engines on these birds?

BawliBooch

Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:42 am

With 2 pilots and 1 cabin crew for 30 passengers, the cost/seat is still going to be higher as compared to a 50 seater of same vintage.

adamblang

Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:50 am

New composite bodies and new wings would be a whole new plane, not a re-engine. Then we're not talking about CRJ-200s or ERJ-145s but a clean-sheet design.

TWA772LR

Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:42 am

BawliBooch wrote:
With 2 pilots and 1 cabin crew for 30 passengers, the cost/seat is still going to be higher as compared to a 50 seater of same vintage.

The lighter frame, new engines, and new components/materials would slash operating costs by a considerable margin.

It would be cool if EMB or BBD proposed a 50-seat, UDF-powered regional jet. I wonder if the general public would be able to distinguish a UDF from a normal turboprop.

flyingclrs727

Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:47 am

TWA772LR wrote:
BawliBooch wrote:

The lighter frame, new engines, and new components/materials would slash operating costs by a considerable margin.

It would be cool if EMB or BBD proposed a 50-seat, UDF-powered regional jet. I wonder if the general public would be able to distinguish a UDF from a normal turboprop.

No. If it has a propeller, it might as well be as as ancient as a DC-3 to the public.

seahawk

Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:32 am

TWA772LR wrote:
BawliBooch wrote:

For what? It will still burn more fuel than a turboprop and with those few seats it will still be inferior to a 70 seat or 90 seat plane, the cutting edge technology just pushes the capital costs up making it even harder to make money with the plane.

Starlionblue

Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:14 am

flyingclrs727 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
BawliBooch wrote:

No. If it has a propeller, it might as well be as as ancient as a DC-3 to the public.

There's your problem. Propeller = old in the mind of the average passenger.

VSMUT

Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:10 am

Starlionblue wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

Just take away the choice, then people will become accustomed to the props in no time.

cheapgreek

Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:03 am

VSMUT wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:

Just take away the choice, then people will become accustomed to the props in no time.

People would still given the choice choose a jet. When props were more plentiful, the jets could increase ridership when replacing a prop by up to 20%. I have flown dozens of flights on Dash-8's and its no contest when compared to a RJ. Dash's are noisy,vibrate,and slow. Even though the prop is safe, its appearance to many travelers is less than favorable, it just looks old fashioned.

PITingres

Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:03 pm

Starlionblue wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:

I have long argued that solving these sorts of problems are exactly what marketing departments are for. It might take an effort, but a decent marketing campaign should be able to fix that.

packcheer

Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:11 pm

The next place props may make a resurgence is with some other technology leap. If someone can figure out bio fuels, electric power, solar power, etc to the point where it is a realistic option, I think the first place we would see it would be smaller, lighter prop aircraft. At that point, marketing could have a field day, and I think the public would be willing to get on board, literally and figuratively.

Dalmd88

Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:50 pm

So what new engine are you going to put on the CRJ 100/200? Is there anything out there that is an improvement on the small CF34? The new Pratt geared is way overkill at almost twice the thrust. I can't find anything out there that is in the 9,5-10K thrust range that isn't older technology than the CF34.

flyingclrs727

Mon May 01, 2017 1:05 am

VSMUT wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:

I love turboprops. Back in the 1970's and 80's my father had a quarter interest in an 8 seat turboprop that he used for business travel. It's much more fun
flying at lower altitudes when the weather is good. There's much more scenery to see out the windows. That's one reason I've never understood why everyone wants to fly jets on short flights between the Hawaiian islands. When we were on vacation in Hawaii in 1978, dad got us a flight on a small prop plane from HNL to LIH on Maui for a day trip. It was much more scenic than flying on an Aloha 737-200 to KOA a few days later.