Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

rjsampson
Topic Author

Takeoff acoustics at KSAN

Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:52 pm

For those of you who have planespotted, or drive to the airport, you know that the intersection of Laurel and Pacific Highway takes you as close to the departure threshold as you can get at any major airport:

From the ground:

What amazes me is that, from this vantage point, you can barely hear the engines at takeoff thrust. How on Earth is it so quiet, so close to the aircraft? Does it have to do with those blast deflectors on the fence (if that's what they're called..)?

KTPAFlyer

Re: Takeoff acoustics at KSAN

Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:35 pm

I don't think think it's quiet because of the blast deflectors, because those only deflect thrust, not noise. I'm guessing it's because they do a turn 'n burn after rolling past the displaced threshold, to avoid this specific problem. That said, there are airports where you can get even closer to the threshold with no blast deflectors and those are loud. I once walked behind Runway 30 at ISB on a small road during a 777 departure and that is to date the stupidest thing I have ever done in my life. I was under the impression that they were going to backtaxi to the threshold and then takeoff, but they went all the way and then gunned it at what felt like max thrust, like a Pakistani SXM. Be happy you have that blast deflector at SAN :D

dragon6172

Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:09 pm

Blast wall will deaden quite a bit of noise. Just like the walls along interstate highways deaden the noise from traffic.

jimatkins

Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:37 pm

And the buildings across Laurel that are now Solar Gas Turbines are the original home of the Spirit of St. Louis!

rjsampson
Topic Author

Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:52 am

jimatkins wrote:
And the buildings across Laurel that are now Solar Gas Turbines are the original home of the Spirit of St. Louis!

Yes they are! In fact, there's a little marker I ran into indicating where the trip started.

KTPAFlyer wrote:
I'm guessing it's because they do a turn 'n burn after rolling past the displaced threshold, to avoid this specific problem.

As a Native San Diegan, I can attest that, on most of my flights: There was no more gradual of a thrust increase than any other airport. Maybe it's a geography/topography thing. I really don't know. I even remember when that old 727 Cargo plane departed from SAN, back in the day: I barely heard the engines from that vantage point. I certainly heard them watching it climb, however.

Whomever designed that fence behind that runway must've been a acoustics-engineering genius. It truly mitigates the noise incredibly well. How? I have no idea. Other airports at which I've been in similar spotting locations even with the thrust deflectors: Departing aircraft have always made more noise.

FlyHossD

Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:02 am

I'd venture a guess that the jet noise is often masked by the road noise.

JAAlbert

Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:47 am

All I know is that I am bummed that the airport erected those defection walls. Years ago, the deflection structures only protected the area directly behind the runway, leaving the rest open. Before 630am each Saturday morning when in law school, I hopped on my bike, with a thermos of coffee strapped to the back, and rode out to the end of the runway. I situated myself in the parking lot to the west (left of the runway) and sat on a parking stump with a clear view of the taxi and runway beyond. All the aircraft lined up awaiting the release of curfew and then, with a rumble and roar, each plane lumbered past me and positioned itself onto the runway. AA 767, DL 757 and so many more. I noted each aircraft as I sipped my coffee and many of the co-pilots waved at me as I raised my thermos cup in salutation. By 730am the initial crowd of planes had departed and I rode back to my hovel and opened my books.

Spending time at the end of KSAN's runway was a beautiful diversion. I still live within sight of the airport and often stop to watch a plane hurtling into the afternoon sky.

MrBretz

Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:08 am

I agree with FlyHossD. PCH is busy. I5 is busier and 2 blocks away. That noise probably masks the jet noise.

rjsampson
Topic Author

Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:02 pm

JAAlbert wrote:
Spending time at the end of KSAN's runway was a beautiful diversion. I still live within sight of the airport and often stop to watch a plane hurtling into the afternoon sky.

..or in my case, driving down the 5 South and looking right now the runway. I've had some near misses with cars as a result. To this day, I can't help but look down the runway every time. When I'm with my girlfriend, she's nice enough to hold the wheel during that stretch of the freeway :)

Coronado990

Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:50 pm

Urban legend is that a Convair built B-36 was revving up at the end of the runway before the deflector was built and toppled an automobile.

Passedv1

Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:43 pm

There is no procedural difference departing SAN.

JAAlbert

Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:26 am

Coronado990 wrote:
Urban legend is that a Convair built B-36 was revving up at the end of the runway before the deflector was built and toppled an automobile.

Several years ago a business jet blew out the large windows of the restaurant that was situated near the Jimsair building. The Union-Tribune posted an interesting article summarizing the incident and the shock of the diners as the windows shattered and blew the patrons across the room.

JAAlbert

Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:43 am

rjsampson wrote:
...or in my case, driving down the 5 South and looking right now the runway. I've had some near misses with cars as a result. To this day, I can't help but look down the runway every time. When I'm with my girlfriend, she's nice enough to hold the wheel during that stretch of the freeway :)

Now that's an understanding girlfriend! For an airport and airline geek, SAN is a great airport. Lots of interesting vantage points (Radisson Hotel downtown, Laurel Street - top of the hill, I-5, Marston Point, Balboa Park, Solar Turbine parking lots, Liberty Station Park across the canal from the west end of the runway, etc, etc ...) and those planes hugging the hills on final approach - just breathtaking.

jetmatt777

Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:23 am

The blast walls probably redirect most of the sound waves up over the parking lot/intersection.

You'd be surprised how much sound can be blocked by objects between yourself and the source of the noise, for instance at work after an aircraft has pushed back from the gate, when a catering truck or fuel truck drives in front of the airplane, there is a very noticeable decrease in the amount of sound you hear, once the truck passes by it is back to full volume.

rjsampson
Topic Author

Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:26 pm

JAAlbert wrote:
rjsampson wrote:
...or in my case, driving down the 5 South and looking right now the runway. I've had some near misses with cars as a result. To this day, I can't help but look down the runway every time. When I'm with my girlfriend, she's nice enough to hold the wheel during that stretch of the freeway :)

Now that's an understanding girlfriend! For an airport and airline geek, SAN is a great airport. Lots of interesting vantage points (Radisson Hotel downtown, Laurel Street - top of the hill, I-5, Marston Point, Balboa Park, Solar Turbine parking lots, Liberty Station Park across the canal from the west end of the runway, etc, etc ...) and those planes hugging the hills on final approach - just breathtaking.

I couldn't agree more. Just last night I was having dinner at a spot in Little Italy downtown, watching every aircraft land at, literally 100 feet above me (and I know as I've made the approach with a GPWS).

With its heavy, consistent traffic on a SINGLE runway, beautiful surroundings, and planes hugging the hills: I would consider SAN to be the best planespotting airport in the world...

That is, if 80% of the traffic wasn't boring old 737s! The occasional BA 747, 787, and Charter (whatever it is), is truly a site to behold at SAN.

JAAlbert

Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:29 am

rjsampson wrote:
With its heavy, consistent traffic on a SINGLE runway, beautiful surroundings, and planes hugging the hills: I would consider SAN to be the best planespotting airport in the world...

That is, if 80% of the traffic wasn't boring old 737s! The occasional BA 747, 787, and Charter (whatever it is), is truly a site to behold at SAN.

My thoughts exactly! SAN is an amazing airport, but those 737s (and 320s) are a major yawn fest. Hopefully, we'll be getting some more interesting - and bigger - aircraft soon as the 787s and 350s become more common. Plus, my understanding is that Edelweiss Airline will be flying a 340 in and out of SAN this summer. I don't think we've ever seen a 340 at SAN.

rjsampson
Topic Author

Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:44 am

JAAlbert wrote:
rjsampson wrote:

My thoughts exactly! SAN is an amazing airport, but those 737s (and 320s) are a major yawn fest. Hopefully, we'll be getting some more interesting - and bigger - aircraft soon as the 787s and 350s become more common. Plus, my understanding is that Edelweiss Airline will be flying a 340 in and out of SAN this summer. I don't think we've ever seen a 340 at SAN.

An A340 at SAN?? You have to be kidding me. They will have to excavate the Point Loma peninsula west of Runway 27 for that aircraft to climb with a profitable fuel load. :wideeyed:

I would wonder if Santa Ana winds would prohibit departures Runway 9 (only 8,400 feet, a major interstate, big ol' hill to clear).

I'm (mostly) joking of course. But a 340 on SAN's fat little runway? I'll believe when I see it.

But I hope I get to see it!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos