Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LAXintl
Topic Author

JetBlue applies for additional Cuba frequencies

Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:47 pm

As other carriers bail on their Cuba routes, JetBlue today applied with the DOT for allocation of 7 additional Havana frequencies.

B6 says they desire to provide 6 additional weekly round-trip between FLL and HAV along with launching new weekly service from BOS to HAV per below proposed schedules.

Sun-Fri
FLL-HAV 1625-1745 A320
HAV-FLL 1900-2015 A320

Sat
BOS-HAV 0945-1345 A320
HAV-BOS 1500-1845 A320

If awarded would give JetBlue 34 weekly frequencies between the US and Havana.

DOT-OST-2016-0021

=

smokeybandit

Re: JetBlue applies for additional Cuba frequencies

Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:52 pm

Are they having success or are they hedging their bets on future traffic?

jetbluefan1

Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:54 pm

Well that was quick.

It is clear that B6 is looking at HAV - and Cuba - as a longer term investment. There is no way the market is profitable in its current form, but by scooping up these authorities while they're available, it is apparent that B6 remains bullish on its long-term Cuban prospects.

Interesting that B6 is confident enough to propose BOS-HAV, even if just a Saturday-only flight. Perhaps they are seeing notable enough connecting traffic via JFK/FLL/MCO.

Does anyone expect any other airlines to apply for these slots, now that NK and F9 have vacated the market?

MAH4546

Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:06 am

BOS-HAV is absolutely laughable, but good for jetBlue for applying for more. I'm sure this will open the floodgates of airlines wanting to protect share.

SFOtoORD

Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:06 am

Bold move. I like it. Long term S Florida to HAV will be a big winner and I think we will see more slots shift there.

kondoo

Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:50 am

Are these NK and F9 frequencies? Has anyone else applied for these?

guyanam

Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:38 am

MAH4546 wrote:
BOS-HAV is absolutely laughable, but good for jetBlue for applying for more. I'm sure this will open the floodgates of airlines wanting to protect share.

Why is 150 seats per week, no doubt seasonal during the winter, laughable? 250k US tourists (excluding Cuban Americans) visited Cuba last year. This is equivalent to or more than St Lucia,

Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:48 am

250K in total from the US visited and what is the size of the BOS-HAV market? Nowhere near that. B6 is looking at a guaranteed money loser for a long time, but hey some little MBA that sits in a cubicle came up with this great idea to capture market share and bleed at the same time. Question is, will that MBA be gone before B6 pulls out of this market or will they both go at the same time?

deltairlines

Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:56 am

That being said I've heard DL is applying for additional MIA-HAV frequencies. Could be interesting.

SFOtoORD

Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:59 am

deltairlines wrote:
That being said I've heard DL is applying for additional MIA-HAV frequencies. Could be interesting.

Makes sense. The original Cuba allocations were a land grab and now we'll see the weak city pairs dropped and get picked up by players with much stronger demand in S Florida.

jumbojet

Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:05 am

Any additional frequencies should rightfully go to Delta. They have a very rich history with flying to Cuba which dates back to 1961 and for that,, DL should get approval over B6.

SFOtoORD

Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:09 am

jumbojet wrote:
Any additional frequencies should rightfully go to Delta. They have a very rich history with flying to Cuba which dates back to 1961 and for that,, DL should get approval over B6.

Frequencies should be handed out on merit. DLs history in Cuba means nothing in this case. Adding service to the top O&D city pair is a good part of the story, but 1961 is not.

jumbojet

Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:25 am

SFOtoORD wrote:
jumbojet wrote:

Frequencies should be handed out on merit. DLs history in Cuba means nothing in this case. Adding service to the top O&D city pair is a good part of the story, but 1961 is not.

I realize that but BOS to HAV 1x weekly, what good does that do? There is zero market. Just because JetBlue has what they consider a hub in BOS shouldn't be an automatic. MIA is mostly where the action is at. Heck, JetBlue cant even make FLL to Cuba work on the A320.

For more on Delta's rich history in Cuba, check this out. I couldn't find anything on JetBlue's history in Cuba so....

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/ ... -cuba.html

ASFlyer

Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:54 am

jumbojet wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:
jumbojet wrote:

I realize that but BOS to HAV 1x weekly, what good does that do? There is zero market. Just because JetBlue has what they consider a hub in BOS shouldn't be an automatic. MIA is mostly where the action is at. Heck, JetBlue cant even make FLL to Cuba work on the A320.

For more on Delta's rich history in Cuba, check this out. I couldn't find anything on JetBlue's history in Cuba so....

Who cares about Delta's "rich history in Cuba"? They haven't operated scheduled service to Cuba since 1961 - 56 years. What, about their service there 56 years ago, is going to serve them well in that market now? Is there even anybody working at Delta right now that was at Delta when they last served Cuba commercially? Delta, like every other U.S. carrier, is starting on a clean slate for all intents and purposes.

adamh8297

Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:11 am

jumbojet wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:
jumbojet wrote:

ml

Well it fits the strategy of starting to serve the smaller warm weather destinations on a weekly basis in BOS such as GCM UVF POP LIR and maybe finding success with certain routes and increasing (BGI SXM).

That being said I'm not paying 5-7K for a People to People Cuba tour that my Canadian friend is paying $1300 for. Maybe the citizens of Brookline, Weston, Arlington, and Lexington will and B6 is banking on that.

SCQ83

Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:34 am

You are underestimating Boston.

BOS being home to many educational institutions and "liberals" (according to airliners.net :) ), they make a lot of those "travel learn trips".

MIT: http://mitsloan.mit.edu/newsroom/articl ... l-to-cuba/
Harvard: https://alumni.harvard.edu/travel/trips ... depth-2016
Tufts: http://tuftsalumni.org/events-reunions/ ... cuba_2017/

And many more...

commavia

Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:11 am

ASFlyer wrote:
Who cares about Delta's "rich history in Cuba"?

Answer: nobody. Outside of Delta's P.R. department and A.net fanboy department, the answer is nobody. It is supremely meaningless.

MAH4546 wrote:
I'm sure this will open the floodgates of airlines wanting to protect share.

Agreed. Something tells me that JetBlue will not be uncontested for these frequencies.

Ultimately, though, I think JetBlue stands a good chance of getting some or all of these frequencies - given the "spread the wealth" philosophy and low fare preference of DOT, particularly since the slots being freed up are from other low fare airlines, I suspect JetBlue is a virtual shoo in to get more frequencies.

jfklganyc

Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:55 am

Proof that airlines are still run by little boys trying to be king of the playground.

If you saw the Ioads, this move would make you sick.

But wait...loads aren't everything! This is high yield! Haha

fastmover

Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:03 pm

jumbojet wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:
jumbojet wrote:

Um wouldn't Boston be a hub?
In the rich history ( you seem to be a history fan) of Boston little JetBlue now has the largest operation there ever. It is just under JFK so it is a hub and a very successful one when others couldn't make it work. I'm sorry your reason of they should have the route due to history is a joke. Again I get that you love you some Delta but come on man make a real case not just my favorite airline should have everything.
For JetBlue it seems like a "why the heck not" move
Grab what you can when you can. Will it work I don't know but slots are slots and if you have them you control a lot of stuff. I guess we will see.

jumbojet

Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:47 pm

fastmover wrote:
jumbojet wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:

In the rich history ( you seem to be a history fan) of Boston little JetBlue now has the largest operation there ever. It is just under JFK so it is a hub and a very successful one when others couldn't make it work. I'm sorry your reason of they should have the route due to history is a joke. Again I get that you love you some Delta but come on man make a real case not just my favorite airline should have everything.
Grab what you can when you can. Will it work I don't know but slots are slots and if you have them you control a lot of stuff. I guess we will see.

JetBlue is a little airline in the grand scheme of things. The airline is run by very smart people who have figured out a way to print money with the MINT product. I give them all the credit in the world for that. Personally, MINT isn't for me, JetBlue is not for me, it passes itself off as a legacy airline wannabe. Getting back on topic, if you compare B6 BOS operations to DL at ATL, UA at SFO and AA at DFW, BOS is small potatoes. If JetBlue execs figure they could make money from BOS-HAV in the long term and provide a return on investment to its shareholders, then more power to them, its their airline, they know what they're doing, time will tell. It seems like a foolish move for now.

FlyUSAir

Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:50 pm

jumbojet wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:
jumbojet wrote:

Here we go. I knew the Delta fanboy's would show up sooner than later. Apparently history is more important than anything else.

FlyUSAir

Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:52 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
Proof that airlines are still run by little boys trying to be king of the playground.

If you saw the Ioads, this move would make you sick.

But wait...loads aren't everything! This is high yield! Haha

Yep, just ask AA who cuts flights like crazy even though some of their loads are around 70-100%.

Do people think before they post anymore?

SFOtoORD

Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:06 pm

jumbojet wrote:
fastmover wrote:
jumbojet wrote:

JetBlue is a little airline in the grand scheme of things. The airline is run by very smart people who have figured out a way to print money with the MINT product. I give them all the credit in the world for that. Personally, MINT isn't for me, JetBlue is not for me, it passes itself off as a legacy airline wannabe. Getting back on topic, if you compare B6 BOS operations to DL at ATL, UA at SFO and AA at DFW, BOS is small potatoes. If JetBlue execs figure they could make money from BOS-HAV in the long term and provide a return on investment to its shareholders, then more power to them, its their airline, they know what they're doing, time will tell. It seems like a foolish move for now.

Do you read these replies before you send them? JetBlue isn't just Mint. They've built a profitable airline from scratch by doing things just a little bit differently which certainly does not make them a "legacy wannabe."

vadodara

Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:51 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
You are underestimating Boston.

BOS being home to many educational institutions and "liberals" (according to airliners.net :) ), they make a lot of those "travel learn trips".

MIT: http://mitsloan.mit.edu/newsroom/articl ... l-to-cuba/
Harvard: https://alumni.harvard.edu/travel/trips ... depth-2016
Tufts: http://tuftsalumni.org/events-reunions/ ... cuba_2017/

And many more...

This made me laugh! But seriously, exactly what Jet Blue figures. They probably have the numbers to prove as well. Finally, all these 'liberals' probably take a routine trip or two to Asia, Europe, S. America and so on. Why not Havana?

Boof02671

Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:24 pm

jumbojet wrote:

Actually AA does more than DL.

And it was Pan Am who was the largest US carrier to Cuba.

jbs2886

Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:25 pm

FlyUSAir wrote:
jumbojet wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:

Here we go. I knew the Delta fanboy's would show up sooner than later. Apparently history is more important than anything else.

Generally speaking I am a DL fanboy (I like to consider myself a logical fanboy), but wow, this is nuts. History largely has no relevance unless its recent bad history (see DL and HND). DL would not win a fight for more MIA frequencies over BOS if it were head to head. DL's strongest argument is to give AA more competition at MIA (Frontier is dropping) and that FLL doesn't matter.

Finally, to continue dismissing JetBlue as a small airline basically is making the same error the legacy carriers did when JetBlue started, look how that went...I am sure DL's management doesn't dismiss them like you do.

pitbosflyer

Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:46 pm

jbs2886 wrote:

Finally, to continue dismissing JetBlue as a small airline basically is making the same error the legacy carriers did when JetBlue started, look how that went...I am sure DL's management doesn't dismiss them like you do.

Exactly right. The very reason DL is now ramping up at BOS again, is because B6 is eating into their business clients. They let their BOS hub wither on the vine and B6 moved into the vacuum left behind.

usflyguy

Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:57 pm

SFOtoORD wrote:
jumbojet wrote:
fastmover wrote:

Do you read these replies before you send them? JetBlue isn't just Mint. They've built a profitable airline from scratch by doing things just a little bit differently which certainly does not make them a "legacy wannabe."

Isn't Jetlue struggling right now? Aren't they doing a fleet review due to their cost/revenue issues?

joeljack

Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:04 pm

I wish UA would make their HAV-IAH frequency daily. Just run the weekday flights with an E-170 until the metrics change to support a larger plane. Right now, connecting from anything in the Midwest to HAV is very hit or miss whether it is even possible. UA is sending lots of people like myself to American, WN and Delta because of this. I know two other couples that fly UA most the time from DSM and both were trying to plan trips to Cuba for next fall/ Christmas on UA with no luck. Otherwise, I think UA has done it about right.

Myself, I might go back to Cuba for a second time next winter, also looking at a Wed-Sunday or Thursday to Monday Trip from either OMA or DSM. If UA hasn't fixed this yet by then, will reluctantly have to fly WN/DL again. :(

guyanam

Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:40 pm

727200 wrote:
250K in total from the US visited and what is the size of the BOS-HAV market? Nowhere near that. B6 is looking at a guaranteed money loser for a long time, but hey some little MBA that sits in a cubicle came up with this great idea to capture market share and bleed at the same time. Question is, will that MBA be gone before B6 pulls out of this market or will they both go at the same time?

I find it hard to believe that B6 cannot fill a 150 seater ONCE weekly out of a metro area like BOS, packed with the very type of people who might be looking for vacation experiences beyond generic all inclusive tourist traps in Cancun and PUJ. If B6 can fill a 150 plane to SLU surely they can do the same to HAV. This is a mere 3k seats annually, given a Nov-April service period.

We are NOT talking about a daily service here, and I very much doubt that this will be a year round service either, as few of their BOS Caribbean flights are.

BTW the 250k does NOT include Cuban Americans. When we add that number the total is closer to 800k, but most of these are out of FL, which is why I don't include them.

guyanam

Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:43 pm

jumbojet wrote:
JetBlue cant even make FLL to Cuba work on the A320.

B6 is applying for additional FLL HAV frequencies.

raylee67

Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:45 pm

usflyguy wrote:

Isn't Jetlue struggling right now? Aren't they doing a fleet review due to their cost/revenue issues?

I wouldn't call that "struggling". They are unhappy with their 190. And that's about it. They don't have issues with their A320 and certainly not with their A321 Mint service that is eating everyone's lunch (the premium part of the lunch, that is).

LAXintl
Topic Author

Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:54 pm

No need to fight JetBlue for the slots.
There will be 21 HAV frequencies open for allocation following service cutbacks.

dfwking

Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:01 pm

727200 wrote:

I am pretty sure there are no MBAs in B6's route planning group. But it doesn't matter either way. There are reasons BOS-HAV makes sense.

BOS-HAV does not need to be profitable for the route to work. It is utilization flying. This aircraft would probably sit on the ground on Saturdays anyways. The route only needs to cover fixed costs and that is a very low hurdle to cross.

FlyUSAir

Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:13 pm

usflyguy wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:
jumbojet wrote:

They are not struggling at the moment. They are looking at replacements to the E190 due to cost/revenue related issues, but it's the same thing AA, DL, and UA are doing with their own fleets at the moment.

MAH4546

Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:14 pm

LAXintl wrote:
No need to fight JetBlue for the slots.
There will be 21 HAV frequencies open for allocation following service cutbacks.

And who is to say Delta and AA won't try to apply for all? And Silver has indicated it wants to fly MIA-HAV, and might very well apply for all 21.

FlyUSAir

Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:17 pm

jbs2886 wrote:

Generally speaking I am a DL fanboy (I like to consider myself a logical fanboy), but wow, this is nuts. History largely has no relevance unless its recent bad history (see DL and HND). DL would not win a fight for more MIA frequencies over BOS if it were head to head. DL's strongest argument is to give AA more competition at MIA (Frontier is dropping) and that FLL doesn't matter.

Actually Delta is my most-flown airline (right next to WN) and am certainly not a B6 fanboy by any means (I used to be around 2007, cut that out around 2011) and I criticize the way the company has moved on from David Neeleman, but wow, dismissing B6 as a small airline and saying a certain air carrier should service a destination because of the "history" is ludicrous and beyond fanboy behavior.

Blueballs

Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:30 pm

jumbojet wrote:

My god, can you let one jetblue thread go without you chiming in with your b.s. We get it delta is great and JetBlue is terrible!!! Your opinion sure and clearly not the opinion of everyone since jetblue margins are killing it and we have loyalist same as delta.

fastmover

Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:50 pm

jumbojet wrote:
fastmover wrote:
jumbojet wrote:

For such a small airline they really really annoy you.
Again you simply can't compare Boston to these other places and say well is small so they are nothing.
We talked about this. Delta to JetBlue is not apples to apples. It isn't even close. So when you discount a hub because it's not like Atlanta that's not a very strong argument. Delta had a hard time making Boston work and only now after jetblue succeds there do they start coming back. Let's be very clear I am not bashing Delta I think they are most like now the best run airline out there but you should not always just dismiss jetblue.

commavia

Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:09 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
And who is to say Delta and AA won't try to apply for all? And Silver has indicated it wants to fly MIA-HAV, and might very well apply for all 21.

Agreed. Even as fraught with economic challenges as the Cuba flying has clearly been for just about everyone, it seems hard for me to imagine AA and Delta (and maybe also Southwest and United) letting JetBlue go uncontested for all these additional frequencies. Perhaps it's financially irrational, but I just don't see it happening.

While I doubt AA has the slightest chance of getting any additional HAV frequencies at this point, I could easily see AA requesting a fifth daily MIA-HAV flight. In Delta's case, a second daily MIA-HAV also seems quite plausible. Personally, I still contend that for a variety of political reasons, JetBlue is a virtual shoo in for at least some of the frequencies its requesting, and then the preference would - depending on who else applied - go next to Southwest, then either Delta or United, and AA last.

Taity

Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:32 pm

raylee67 wrote:
usflyguy wrote:

I wouldn't call that "struggling". They are unhappy with their 190. And that's about it. They don't have issues with their A320 and certainly not with their A321 Mint service that is eating everyone's lunch (the premium part of the lunch, that is).

I really hope that they're not looking to scrap the 190, it's one of my favourite aircraft and the interior they have is great with it, plus two seats on their own is great for space and company.

Do you have any more info on their fleet review? I've not seen much about how well MINT's going if you've got any links about that also?

CobaltScar

Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:54 pm

Customers and FAs love the e190. I hope they can make the aircraft continue to work and order a ton more.

rbavfan

Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:30 pm

Taity wrote:
raylee67 wrote:
usflyguy wrote:

I really hope that they're not looking to scrap the 190, it's one of my favourite aircraft and the interior they have is great with it, plus two seats on their own is great for space and company.

Do you have any more info on their fleet review? I've not seen much about how well MINT's going if you've got any links about that also?

They are expanding Mint to quite a few new markets. So that should tell you its gong well. After all it was conceived to be exclusive to JFK-LAX & JFK-SFO markets with a custom fleet.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos