Someone83
Topic Author
Posts: 3350
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:47 pm

Norwegian with LGW-SIN

Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:25 am

On sale now, Norwegian has just released tickets on their new London Gatwick-Singapore service starting September 28, with 4x weekly. Increasing to 5x weekly from end of October. To be flown with 787-9

To be flown be Norwegian Air UK

Flight No. From To Departs Arrives Days
DI7408 SIN LGW 0850 1530 Tuesday
0845* 1525 Friday
0815** 1455
DI7410 2340 0620+1 Wed, Sun
*From Sep 29-Oct 6, 2017
**From Oct 13-27, 2017

Flight No. From To Departs Arrives Days
DI7407 LGW SIN 1030 0615+1 Mon, Thu
DI7409 2230 1815+1 Tue, Sat
 
Luisvalero
Posts: 101
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:14 pm

Re: Norwegian with LGW-SIN

Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:59 am

Wow, I didn't see this one coming, Norwegian is on fire 8-)
 
SCQ83
Posts: 3288
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: Norwegian with LGW-SIN

Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:04 am

Maybe this is a way to keep Scoot out of the market?
 
User avatar
LuxuryTravelled
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:06 am

Re: Norwegian with LGW-SIN

Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:17 am

Originally I understand it was going to be Singapore and Tokyo, but couldn't get Russian overflight permission, so that aircraft went to launching Seattle and Denver.
 
User avatar
Channex737
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:37 pm

Re: Norwegian with LGW-SIN

Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:26 am

This seems quite left field, but if it works it works.
Don't think that Singapore Airlines will be that worried though, different market entirely.
Go 737-300!
A330>777
Get well soon LSAI :(
 
Luisvalero
Posts: 101
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:14 pm

Re: Norwegian with LGW-SIN

Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:02 am

I've already tried to book MAD-LGW-SIN. The price is 470€ round-trip. Just amazing
 
theobcman
Posts: 383
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:16 am

Re: Norwegian with LGW-SIN

Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:22 am

Great news ! Starting at £179 O/W for 'Basic' is just amazing. As someone 45mins from LGW, the DY expansion is incredible & really good news ! All made possible by the B787 ?!?!
 
User avatar
neutrino
Posts: 1164
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 5:33 pm

Re: Norwegian with LGW-SIN

Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:27 am

To mark the start of operations, Norwegian intends to offer one-way Singapore-to-London fares starting from S$199 for economy class, and premium-class tickets from S$839, inclusive of all fees and taxes, according to the press release.

Saw this on the local Channel New Asia site and went to check it out.
From SIN its SGD199.90 as stated (ok, 90 cents more...) but all return flights back from Gatwick are at minimum of SGD319.90 so SGD519.80 or about 346 Euro for two way.

Now contemplating a visit to the RAF Museum. :smile:
Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis
 
yoplait
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:36 pm

Re: Norwegian with LGW-SIN

Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:08 am

LuxuryTravelled wrote:
Originally I understand it was going to be Singapore and Tokyo, but couldn't get Russian overflight permission, so that aircraft went to launching Seattle and Denver.


The Norwegian AOC does not have Russian overflight permission iirc. I think the UK AOC should be able to because VS and BA are allowed to fly over Russia. Don't quote me on this though, because I'm not certain of this.
 
User avatar
readytotaxi
Posts: 3942
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:09 am

Re: Norwegian with LGW-SIN

Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:22 am

And £1339.00 return in Premium, that seems like a good bet.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
 
User avatar
Channex757
Posts: 948
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:07 am

Re: Norwegian with LGW-SIN

Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:31 am

If they can tie up a deal with one of the regional lowcosts for a bit of connectivity then this route could explode.
 
TC957
Posts: 2356
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 1:12 pm

Re: Norwegian with LGW-SIN

Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:41 am

Very surprised they'd start SIN over BKK to where they already operate out of Scandinavia.
 
UAL777UK
Posts: 2212
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:16 am

Re: Norwegian with LGW-SIN

Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:44 am

Jeeezuz! DY are ripping it up at LGW, good for them.

I don't agree Channex737, I think SQ and BA will be scratching their heads with this. They are defo going to lose punters to this service, especially at those prices, not least in Premium.
 
User avatar
readytotaxi
Posts: 3942
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:09 am

Re: Norwegian with LGW-SIN

Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:10 pm

UAL777UK wrote:
Jeeezuz! DY are ripping it up at LGW, good for them.

I don't agree Channex737, I think SQ and BA will be scratching their heads with this. They are defo going to lose punters to this service, especially at those prices, not least in Premium.

Agree, DY Premium looks so much better than the BA offering and the same price.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
 
SCQ83
Posts: 3288
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: Norwegian with LGW-SIN

Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:20 pm

TC957 wrote:
Very surprised they'd start SIN over BKK to where they already operate out of Scandinavia.


It makes sense. Surely SIN has higher average fares (notably non-stop with BA and SQ) than BKK, and at BKK they should compete with the basement-level ME3 connections.

Also London-Singapore works both ways (e.g. Singaporean students in London, etc). Less the case for BKK.
 
sadiqutp
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:05 pm

Re: Norwegian with LGW-SIN

Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:46 pm

What would be the state of this flight after Brixet is in place?
 
lavalampluva
Posts: 451
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:33 pm

Re: Norwegian with LGW-SIN

Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:22 pm

What is their business model? Their routing strategy seems to be quite random.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 6227
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Norwegian with LGW-SIN

Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:28 pm

sadiqutp wrote:
What would be the state of this flight after Brixet is in place?

No change. It is operated by Norwegian Air UK which is a subsidiary with a British air certificate and thus technically a British airline.
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 1019
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: Norwegian with LGW-SIN

Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:46 pm

Channex737 wrote:
This seems quite left field, but if it works it works.
Don't think that Singapore Airlines will be that worried though, different market entirely.


No, but Scoot will be worried. This is serious competition for their Singapore-Athens flight. I know, Athens is at the other side of Europe but with all the low-cost in Europe this doesn't matter much. From Athens more or less all of Europe is covered.

I think the ones that should be worried are the ME3 carriers as this is a very cheap and convenient way to skip the Middle East. Scoot and Norwegian are often cheaper than Emirates for example.

PS Why did Norwegian never think about interlining with Air Asia? They're a key LCC player covering just about every destination in eastern Asia and they've shown interest in Europe but so far don't seem to get it done. Norwegian can do that for them. One thing: the major hubs for Air Asia are Kuala Lumpur and Bangkok Don Mueang. Norwegian serves neither. They do serve Bangkok, but only Suvarnabhumi. If they shift their Bangkok operations to Don Mueang and their Singapore operations to Kuala Lumpur they'd make a fine LCC partner for Air Asia and the other way around.
 
ManchesterMAN
Posts: 1047
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2003 10:57 pm

Re: Norwegian with LGW-SIN

Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:00 pm

Luisvalero wrote:
I've already tried to book MAD-LGW-SIN. The price is 470€ round-trip. Just amazing


Not that amazing. BA often sells ex MAD/BCN/BIO to SIN for around €400 return and that includes luggage and meals etc.
Flown: A300,A319,A320,A321,A330,A340.A380,717,727,737,747,757,767,777,DC9,DC10,MD11,MD80,F100,F50,ERJ,E190,CRJ,BAe146,Da
 
theobcman
Posts: 383
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:16 am

Re: Norwegian with LGW-SIN

Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:37 pm

ManchesterMAN wrote:
Luisvalero wrote:
I've already tried to book MAD-LGW-SIN. The price is 470€ round-trip. Just amazing


Not that amazing. BA often sells ex MAD/BCN/BIO to SIN for around €400 return and that includes luggage and meals etc.


Absolutely ! Done it myself £363.00 MAD-LHR-SIN-LHR-MAD including IB A345 to LHR. Taking advantage of those cheap ex EU fares !!
 
Softaero
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:47 am

Re: Norwegian with LGW-SIN

Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:48 pm

Russian overflight rights shouldn't be a problem, as avoiding Russian airspace on LGW-SIN only requires a less than 1% increase in flight distance compared to the great circle route.
Blown away.
 
Luisvalero
Posts: 101
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:14 pm

Re: Norwegian with LGW-SIN

Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:19 pm

theobcman wrote:
ManchesterMAN wrote:
Luisvalero wrote:
I've already tried to book MAD-LGW-SIN. The price is 470€ round-trip. Just amazing


Not that amazing. BA often sells ex MAD/BCN/BIO to SIN for around €400 return and that includes luggage and meals etc.


Absolutely ! Done it myself £363.00 MAD-LHR-SIN-LHR-MAD including IB A345 to LHR. Taking advantage of those cheap ex EU fares !!


I prefer to pay 470€ instead of 800€, call me crazy...
 
EZYAirbus
Posts: 2324
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2003 4:57 am

Re: Norwegian with LGW-SIN

Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:52 pm

Excellent deal this is, ive looked at onward travel to Australia and can get a Scoot flight to OOL for £157 return, a little over £500 return when using DY to SIN
http://www.glenneldridgeaviation.com
 
User avatar
TheLion
Posts: 246
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:14 am

Re: Norwegian with LGW-SIN

Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:54 pm

Interesting news. I don't see this being all about SIN though. Maybe DY will hook up with Scoot to provide great value onward connections to Australia, New Zealand & Indonesia. There's serious potential market potential here.
 
Armaghman
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:34 pm

Re: Norwegian with LGW-SIN

Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:54 pm

Given done pacts with othe LCC in Europe will Air Asia work with them in Asia?

Air Asia unable to make Europe Asia work them selves so a tie up with Norwegian will allow them focus on the local region. This would make sense.

Other option is Lion/malindo - personally I'd struggle to fly with them myself, still have visions of the water landing.
 
smallvoyageur
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:24 pm

Re: Norwegian with LGW-SIN

Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:34 pm

EZYAirbus wrote:
Excellent deal this is, ive looked at onward travel to Australia and can get a Scoot flight to OOL for £157 return, a little over £500 return when using DY to SIN

Well Scoot is a member of the Value Alliance, so could DY end up being a member?
 
NichCage
Posts: 464
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:43 pm

Re: Norwegian with LGW-SIN

Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:53 pm

I thought that DY was looking to add OSL-SIN. But still, a nice addition to the network.
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 1019
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: Norwegian with LGW-SIN

Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:54 pm

TheLion wrote:
Interesting news. I don't see this being all about SIN though. Maybe DY will hook up with Scoot to provide great value onward connections to Australia, New Zealand & Indonesia. There's serious potential market potential here.


I don't think they'll hook up with Scoot, which is ultimately owned by Singapore Airlines. Scoot is their biggest competitor on this route. If they're looking for a feeder airline in Asia I'm going to put my money on Air Asia. Of course that would mean shift some destinations in Asia but that can be done.

Just imagine this: You're looking for a cheap flight from Los Angeles to Honolulu. Then some site comes up with Norwegian + Air Asia. Los Angeles - London Gatwick - Kuala Lumpur on Norwegian and then Kuala Lumpur - Osaka - Honolulu on Air Asia. Might just be the cheapest. :P
 
User avatar
Channex757
Posts: 948
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:07 am

Re: Norwegian with LGW-SIN

Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:11 pm

Armaghman wrote:
Given done pacts with othe LCC in Europe will Air Asia work with them in Asia?

Air Asia unable to make Europe Asia work them selves so a tie up with Norwegian will allow them focus on the local region. This would make sense.

Other option is Lion/malindo - personally I'd struggle to fly with them myself, still have visions of the water landing.

That's what I am suggesting above. Tie-ups with people like Cebu and Lion, and DY would end up running multiple frequencies for a lowcost way of flying into South East Asia's value-driven markets.

The potential is huge for a cheap alternative to the legacies. Backpackers would be all over it!!
 
AviationRhys
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:10 pm

Re: Norwegian with LGW-SIN

Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:27 pm

How many based long-haul aircraft will be at Gatwick after the new routes to Denver, Seattle & Singapore commence and some frequency increases on existing routes?
 
User avatar
Mortyman
Posts: 4507
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:26 pm

Re: Norwegian with LGW-SIN

Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:22 pm

According to this Danish article ( paywall , they apparently also have the also have the clearance to start OSL-SIN and CPH-SIN

http://www.check-in.dk/norwegian-klar-a ... ore-ruter/
 
sealand
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:32 am

Re: Norwegian with LGW-SIN

Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:25 am

Quite surprising Norwegian is starting LGW-SIN. One would expect HKG to be a bigger market. I guess Changi Airport's incentives and support for new airlines and city links helped tipped the scales. Scoot and SQ Group will not be pleased.
 
User avatar
lesfalls
Posts: 2957
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Norwegian with LGW-SIN

Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:46 am

Will it only be operated by their LGW based crew or also their U.S based crew?
My Instagram account: @Jfkairlinespotting
 
User avatar
TheLion
Posts: 246
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:14 am

Re: Norwegian with LGW-SIN

Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:01 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
TheLion wrote:
Interesting news. I don't see this being all about SIN though. Maybe DY will hook up with Scoot to provide great value onward connections to Australia, New Zealand & Indonesia. There's serious potential market potential here.


I don't think they'll hook up with Scoot, which is ultimately owned by Singapore Airlines. Scoot is their biggest competitor on this route. If they're looking for a feeder airline in Asia I'm going to put my money on Air Asia. Of course that would mean shift some destinations in Asia but that can be done.

Just imagine this: You're looking for a cheap flight from Los Angeles to Honolulu. Then some site comes up with Norwegian + Air Asia. Los Angeles - London Gatwick - Kuala Lumpur on Norwegian and then Kuala Lumpur - Osaka - Honolulu on Air Asia. Might just be the cheapest. :P


Air Asia could make more sense although my post was more in response to their new SIN flight.

Singapore is an interesting place but not really the sort of route you'd expect DY to choose over the multitude of other options in the Asia Pacific region. That's why I think they'll look for a connecting partner and examine other routes like you hint.

Seamless, low cost one stop connections onto Bali, Australia & New Zealand is definuely a market DY could take ownership of and effectively be a first mover in this era (with Air Asia's own one stop options having ended a few years back).

All the lols at your 3 stopper LAX-HNL routing :rotfl:

However I really hope such a crazy routing never comes to pass though as it's appallingly bad for the environment. In fact there are enough ludicrously unnecessary indirect routings already using the ME3, such as flying from Europe to West Africa via DXB. I remember Etihad cut Alitalia's ACC and LOS flights in favour of routing pax through Abu Dhabi, more than doubling the flight time! I mean :banghead:
 
infinit
Posts: 983
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:12 am

Re: Norwegian with LGW-SIN

Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:28 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Channex737 wrote:
This seems quite left field, but if it works it works.
Don't think that Singapore Airlines will be that worried though, different market entirely.


No, but Scoot will be worried. This is serious competition for their Singapore-Athens flight. I know, Athens is at the other side of Europe but with all the low-cost in Europe this doesn't matter much. From Athens more or less all of Europe is covered.

I think the ones that should be worried are the ME3 carriers as this is a very cheap and convenient way to skip the Middle East. Scoot and Norwegian are often cheaper than Emirates for example.

PS Why did Norwegian never think about interlining with Air Asia? They're a key LCC player covering just about every destination in eastern Asia and they've shown interest in Europe but so far don't seem to get it done. Norwegian can do that for them. One thing: the major hubs for Air Asia are Kuala Lumpur and Bangkok Don Mueang. Norwegian serves neither. They do serve Bangkok, but only Suvarnabhumi. If they shift their Bangkok operations to Don Mueang and their Singapore operations to Kuala Lumpur they'd make a fine LCC partner for Air Asia and the other way around.


Agreed.

Scoot, AirAsia and the ME3 (in that order) are the ones worried as they offer the lowest fares ex-SIN to Europe.
SQ wouldn't bat an eyelid. They have their niche in the upper end of the market when they ceded the lower-end market to the ME3 a decade ago.

If I were Norwegian, I'd team up with Airasia to keep Scoot out. Scoot is a new entrant to Europe.

Nonetheless, this would benefit thousands of Singaporeans, Malaysians, Indonesians and people from other parts of Southeast Asia/South Asia who use SIN as their base.

I have a Malaysian friend who wants to visit London, but with the Malaysian economy and currency doing pretty badly these days, he told me that EK's S$900 round-trip fares were a bit of a stretch for his budget. With Norwegian now in the fray, his trip to London would probably be possible now.
 
bgm
Posts: 1156
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:37 am

Re: Norwegian with LGW-SIN

Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:36 am

A little tip to save even more money - book DY flights through their Norwegian.no site. I've saved quite a lot by doing this. Make sure your bank/credit card doesn't have foreign transaction fees as it's priced in NOK.
"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." -George Carlin
 
Someone83
Topic Author
Posts: 3350
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:47 pm

Re: Norwegian with LGW-SIN

Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:09 am

Seems like Norwegian will use Terminal 1 at SIN
 
AngMoh
Posts: 848
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:03 am

Re: Norwegian with LGW-SIN

Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:29 am

TheLion wrote:
Singapore is an interesting place but not really the sort of route you'd expect DY to choose over the multitude of other options in the Asia Pacific region. That's why I think they'll look for a connecting partner and examine other routes like you hint.

Seamless, low cost one stop connections onto Bali, Australia & New Zealand is definuely a market DY could take ownership of and effectively be a first mover in this era (with Air Asia's own one stop options having ended a few years back).


Why not SIN? 1.2 million pax between London and SIN with none of it on LCC. Add to that the fact that getting rights in SIN is easier than anywhere else in Asia and you have a no-brainer. They only other city which might be similar is BKK but you fight against TG which is offering pretty low fares.

Also if they fly OSL-SIN, then they will be the only airline on that route.
727 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 739ER 742 743 744 752 762 772 773 77W 789 A300 A310 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 A345 A346 A359 A388 DC-9 DC-10 MD11 MD81 MD82 MD87 F70 ERJ145 E175 E190 E195 ATR72 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 BAE146 RJ85
 
theobcman
Posts: 383
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:16 am

Re: Norwegian with LGW-SIN

Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:00 pm

Luisvalero wrote:
theobcman wrote:
ManchesterMAN wrote:

Not that amazing. BA often sells ex MAD/BCN/BIO to SIN for around €400 return and that includes luggage and meals etc.


Absolutely ! Done it myself £363.00 MAD-LHR-SIN-LHR-MAD including IB A345 to LHR. Taking advantage of those cheap ex EU fares !!


I prefer to pay 470€ instead of 800€, call me crazy...


Who's paying €800 ? DY was 470€ & BA £363 in the example above

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos