Topic Author

MEM to release new plans for Concourse redo on 4-20

Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:14 pm

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news ... -plan.html

Sounds more like new construction over remodel

CIDFlyer

Re: MEM to release new plans for Concourse redo on 4-20

Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:14 am

interesting, cant wait to see what they have planned. Perhaps a total demolition of the gates past the rotunda and new build from there making a linear concourse?

slcdeltarumd11

Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:08 am

If this were any other airport that lost its hub i would think a renovation is crazy, but MEM has the fedex money that will keep flowing, so maybe a nice idea.

TWA772LR

Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:54 am

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
If this were any other airport that lost its hub i would think a renovation is crazy, but MEM has the fedex money that will keep flowing, so maybe a nice idea.

There is still a void with the shut down of the hub. It may not be a hub-sized void, but still enough to warrant mainline service from the US3, as well as the presence of WN and G4. My thing is, why not jsut consolidate everyone into B and totally demolish A and C?

This will be a great improvement for the terminal. I was in MEM for the first time in over 15 years last summer and my heart strings were tugged by the emptiness of the airport. The brick gives it a nice, Southern down-home feel, but those ceilings are just too low. Natural light and high ceilings are the best things for spaces meant to hold large volumes of people.

Anyone else notice in one of the diagrams were all NW-based airplanes (i.e. DC-9/10s and BAE 146s)? :)

MSPNWA

Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:03 am

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:

MEM O&D traffic has increased since the hub was closed, so one area of demand has risen. Obviously traffic past security has plummeted, but traffic everywhere else is stronger. The renovations are needed for the future.

TWA772LR wrote:
My thing is, why not jsut consolidate everyone into B and totally demolish A and C?

I've read that the idea behind retaining most of A and C is for the outside chance that they are needed in the future. Not likely obviously, but why knock down something that might still be needed.

TWA772LR wrote:
This will be a great improvement for the terminal. I was in MEM for the first time in over 15 years last summer and my heart strings were tugged by the emptiness of the airport. The brick gives it a nice, Southern down-home feel, but those ceilings are just too low. Natural light and high ceilings are the best things for spaces meant to hold large volumes of people.

I was there in the fall for the first time since the hub officially closed. It tugged at my heart too. So sad. All I had was memories of the hub days not long ago. I really don't mind the concourses now that they aren't crowded, but they might as well improve them. Moving walkways are always welcome.

WaywardMemphian
Topic Author

Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:27 pm

https://youtu.be/QKMMcD28aPo

http://www.flymemphis.com/modernization

Timeline
Early 2017: Jet bridge construction to accommodate additional airlines on A and C
Mid 2017: Bidding on B construction
Late 2017: Delta Air Lines moves to A Concourse; Allegiant moves to C Concourse
Late 2017: Retail, food & beverage relocate to A and C
Late 2017: B Concourse closed
2018-2020: B Concourse construction
Mid 2020: Modernized B Concourse opens
Mid 2020: Airlines begin moving to B Concourse

WaywardMemphian
Topic Author

Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:39 pm

Interesting that A and C sees improvements for a 3 year short term use before being mothballed.

keesje

Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:05 pm

I'm from the days KLM considered a second daily M11 to MEM to fill dozens of onward DC9 and Saab flights.. hopefully MEM recovers from the good old days https://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/airliners/3/1/1/2037113.jpg?v=v40

WaywardMemphian
Topic Author

Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:17 pm

keesje wrote:
I'm from the days KLM considered a second daily M11 to MEM to fill dozens of onward DC9 and Saab flights.. hopefully MEM recovers from the good old days https://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/airliners/3/1/1/2037113.jpg?v=v40

Yeah, and Northwest was going to put 787s in Memphis before the merger.

Funny how Delta is increasing 50 seater use again to quiet fanfare. But as a leasure traveler, the fares are better these days while the selection of directs is no where close. I do believe that will grow as the O&D numbers increase. I think an on site hotel where C concourse is after this expansion with space reserved for a one day light rail station would be ideal. They aren't touching the southwest leg of B till they reach 3 million enplanements. That would be some serious growth to around 6 million total passengers a year.

I think Jet Blue doing Boston and Fort Lauderdale would be great along with Alaska doing Seattle and LA and/or San Fran on their Embraers would be great adds.

Still wondering why Southwest hasn't stepped on Frontier's new A320 service to DEN

BOSMEMFlyer

Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:05 pm

Yes! Beautiful improvement and excellent planning. Plus, there are two open gates to handle that MUCH NEEDED B6 BOS-MEM flight :)

william

Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:31 pm

So will the southwest leg of B not be used? Walled off? Or just look like it does now stuck in the 70s (not a bad thing).

WaywardMemphian
Topic Author

Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:09 pm

william wrote:
So will the southwest leg of B not be used? Walled off? Or just look like it does now stuck in the 70s (not a bad thing).

The plans are to leave it for international(currently Cancun charter and Air Canada). In the Q and A, it states that MEM needs 3 million enplanements to do the Southwest leg of B. When they start sniffing that, they'll proceed. C will still be there if some fast need arises.

IAHWorldflyer

Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:40 pm

If you watch the Youtube video, it looks like they wall off the entrance to the Southwest leg of B with a stage for live music. That would be pretty awesome, similar to what Austin does having some live music in the terminal. I really applaud the Memphis Airport Authority for playing Memphis music over the speakers every time I go through there. It's quite a nice touch.

WaywardMemphian
Topic Author

Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:33 pm

IAHWorldflyer wrote:
If you watch the Youtube video, it looks like they wall off the entrance to the Southwest leg of B with a stage for live music. That would be pretty awesome, similar to what Austin does having some live music in the terminal. I really applaud the Memphis Airport Authority for playing Memphis music over the speakers every time I go through there. It's quite a nice touch.

The locals will recognize the Beale Street Music Festival artwork.

CIDFlyer

Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:56 am

wow looks awesome!! too bad it wasnt like that during the NW hub days...passed through there many times! sometimes on the DC10 from MSP and vice versa. Ive always taken a winter vacation to PNS to see my snowbird parents middle to late Feb for the past 20 years, and many of those flights in my early years of going were through MEM. I always enjoyed the feeling when going of finally being in the south with the smell of BBQ and the southern accents of the gate agents. My routing during those days (before splitting my trips on AA thru DFW & DL thru ATL) were always CID-MSP-MEM-PNS. MEM will always hold a special place in my heart for me.

WaywardMemphian
Topic Author

Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:00 pm

This is an updated youtube video explaining the concourse redo

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jUDyyAvrNu8

On top of that ANNA chart that has been floating around, i've been looking at the Air Canada flight in the monthly stat updates, seems pretty full. Kinda supports those numbers. Who knows what those numbers could be with a low cost direct(Norwegian) or low cost non US
Hub connect (WOW) could be.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos