dtw2hyd

Re: Emirates Cuts Flights to US

Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:28 pm

@MoKa777

There is nothing wrong in debating with respect to each other. So far EK threads end up in personal insults to anyone questioning EK's management, threads gets heavily sanitized and finally closed.

We are just brainstorming ideas about an entity run by someone else, no one here knows (or) should claim to know the facts or future plans. There can be a continued civil discussion.

All I want to know,
What is the potential plan to fix the situation?
Is the plan viable or another PR gimmick? I will give you an example, saying EK will order 100xB787s is not a viable plan without cancelling current VLA orders.
If STC retires in few months, who knows this secret plan?

Also one major difference between EK and QR, AAB has no qualms about cancelling orders, even on the PDP day. Nasty for PR, but good for business.

747megatop

Fri May 05, 2017 9:38 pm

MoKa777 wrote:
I guess we all just have to agree to disagree.

EK was handed a pro-aviation environment on a silver (rather, gold) platter and did use to to the fullest.

Every single airline has reached a point in it's life cycle where things go south and everything needs to re-evaluated and adjusted. EK had ambitions of epic proportions so the trough they fall into will be just as epic.

However, like every other airline before, they will also recover. Big, difficult decisions will need to be taken and situations like the one with the US will give them a good, easy excuse to change things.

EK has one biiiiig vulnerability/achilles heel. They (and so are QR, EY) are overly dependent on connecting traffic.

KTPAFlyer

Emirates to cut JFK-DXB from 3X to 2X daily

Sat May 06, 2017 9:38 pm

In a new announcement, (not to be confused with the previous cuts) EK has announced it is cutting one JFK-DXB nonstop frequency, reducing the overall count from 3X to 2X daily for the month of June as it decides how to proceed in the future. The Milan flight is unaffected; the cut flight is EK207/208 that arrives at 8:45PM and departs at 4:30PM. From the previous thread, someone foreshadowed this possibility:

Bricktop wrote:
Still 4 x A388 daily to JFK and the new B77W daily to EWR. When those downgauge I will get nervous for EK.

Something tells me that EK's "evaluation" means that this flight is not coming back anytime soon.

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/05/emirat ... k-service/

clrd4t8koff

Re: Emirates to cut JFK-DXB from 3X to 2X daily

Sat May 06, 2017 9:53 pm

Interesting that EK has an A380 that lands at 8:45pm into JFK and doesn't return to DXB until 4:30pm the next day. Seems like a poor use of aircraft.

adamh8297

Sat May 06, 2017 9:59 pm

Things must not be good - One would thing cutting BOS allows any flow to go through JFK instead.

My hunch: On the top of the demand issues, QR is eating EK's lunch in the USA.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CO, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WN

BlatantEcho

Sat May 06, 2017 10:14 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
Interesting that EK has an A380 that lands at 8:45pm into JFK and doesn't return to DXB until 4:30pm the next day. Seems like a poor use of aircraft.

Uh, yeah, that's not how airline operations work.
The same physical plane doesn't fly some specific flight numbers, obviously.

Pe@rson

Sat May 06, 2017 10:24 pm

Good that they are readjusting as demanded to market realities until, and if, it picks up.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Whalejet

Sat May 06, 2017 10:26 pm

Dang. That is EKs flagship route. If anyone remembers the "EK Bubble about to burst" thread, that might be playing out right about now. I doubt these cuts at EK are really because of the travel and laptop bans, and have more to do with the middle east starting to get overcrowded with EY, QR, TK, and EK all competing for the same markets.

jfk777

Sat May 06, 2017 10:37 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:

The same plane probably doesn't fly the two flights referenced here, the departure at 4:30 would have arrived in the late morning.

TransGlobalGold

Sat May 06, 2017 10:37 pm

Sounds like EK is not the wunderkind people thought it once was.

9w748capt

Sat May 06, 2017 10:44 pm

Hahaha - how many more A380s (or should I say A380's since this is a.net) do they have on order still? EL OH EL

TransGlobalGold

Sat May 06, 2017 10:56 pm

9w748capt wrote:
Hahaha - how many more A380s (or should I say A380's since this is a.net) do they have on order still? EL OH EL

Just because EK is propping up a dying aircraft model doesn't mean they aren't having problems. There are cities getting 380 service that probably cannot support it. Going from the Whalebus to 77W's at DFW and IAH are good examples. Some destinations simply don't need that large of an aircraft. It would be interesting to see their LF's on 380 flights.

KTPAFlyer

Sat May 06, 2017 10:57 pm

Whalejet wrote:
Dang. That is EKs flagship route. If anyone remembers the "EK Bubble about to burst" thread, that might be playing out right about now. I doubt these cuts at EK are really because of the travel and laptop bans, and have more to do with the middle east starting to get overcrowded with EY, QR, TK, and EK all competing for the same markets.

EY and QR have been in this market for a while; I am extremely skeptical that competition from either is more of a problem now than it was previously. Personally, I think that cuts on this scale require some sort of sudden and very sharp drop in demand; competition is definitely a factor but its effects are very gradual and only show up in the long-term. I know that mentioning politics is taboo for a lot of people, but I'll say the obvious: the Trump slump isn't coming, it's here. I think that these cuts took a lot of people off guard, but a huge part of the ME3 market and summer travel is booked months ahead. If I was at EK and I knew what the trend in previous years looked like and I didn't see the demand, I'd be scrambling to cut frequencies to avoid situations of rescheduling and low demand logistical nightmares. EK is the best run airline of the ME3 and it shows; they put rational thinking first, even if it is painful to do so and gives a negative impression. This is likely the reason why QR is not doing so in order to save face, but you bet they are feeling the heat just like EK. If they don't cut flights soon, they will pay the price for it and AAB likely knows that.

waly777

Sat May 06, 2017 11:00 pm

Do keep in mind that this cut is only for June 3 to June 30th.....
The test of first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold 2 opposed ideas in the mind concurrently, and still function

Polot

Sat May 06, 2017 11:17 pm

waly777 wrote:

Yes, but a month long cut, at the start of the busy summer season, less than a month ahead of time with no previous warning it weird.

lightsaber

Sat May 06, 2017 11:21 pm

747megatop wrote:
EK has one biiiiig vulnerability/achilles heel. They (and so are QR, EY) are overly dependent on connecting traffic.

That vulnerability makes me wonder why the GoI doesn't change their laws/polities to promote more international to international traffic. For that connecting traffic is their only achilles heel. For example, BKK to Europe could be routed many competitors. The new IST or Indian hubs with equal viability to the ME3 to Europe and only slight disadvantage to the USA.

Or SouthEast Asia to Europe... Or the East Coast USA.

Only if the ME3 are starved of connecting traffic will the competition be viable. If the connecting traffic is left to be for the ME3, than the new-IST will allow Turkey to Thrive to the US still... But for the Indian airlines to thrive, they need the connections. Or let EK continue to dominate. I'm just curious and have no horse in the race.

Lightsaber
You only have the first amendment with the 2nd. If you're not going to offend someone with what you say, you don't have the 1st.

LAX772LR

Sat May 06, 2017 11:23 pm

adamh8297 wrote:
QR is eating EK's lunch in the USA.

Maybe on flow, though sorta doubtful that QR is making much (if any) money.

That said, I do sorta wonder if the lack of cooperation between EK and any of the US3 is contributory to its seeming drop. And how much worse this would be in a more expensive fuel environment, which could happen at any time.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

9w748capt

Sat May 06, 2017 11:31 pm

waly777 wrote:

Which is even crazier given that's peak season to India. Maybe the US-India market isn't what it used to be? Or maybe the rest of the the government airlines including AI are cutting into EK enough?

smi0006

Sat May 06, 2017 11:45 pm

KTPAFlyer wrote:
Whalejet wrote:

EY and QR have been in this market for a while; I am extremely skeptical that competition from either is more of a problem now than it was previously. Personally, I think that cuts on this scale require some sort of sudden and very sharp drop in demand; competition is definitely a factor but its effects are very gradual and only show up in the long-term. I know that mentioning politics is taboo for a lot of people, but I'll say the obvious: the Trump slump isn't coming, it's here. I think that these cuts took a lot of people off guard, but a huge part of the ME3 market and summer travel is booked months ahead. If I was at EK and I knew what the trend in previous years looked like and I didn't see the demand, I'd be scrambling to cut frequencies to avoid situations of rescheduling and low demand logistical nightmares. EK is the best run airline of the ME3 and it shows; they put rational thinking first, even if it is painful to do so and gives a negative impression. This is likely the reason why QR is not doing so in order to save face, but you bet they are feeling the heat just like EK. If they don't cut flights soon, they will pay the price for it and AAB likely knows that.

I'm no EK apologist but in this instance - I fully agree, the laptop ban maybe something small, but it's all about perceptions. Tourism and travel is far more competitive these days as people have far greater access to news and media. Inbound tourism and business to the US is increasingly competitive. People maybe voting with their feet.

Equally maybe the flight would break even, or make a small profit - but can this 380 now be deployed elsewhere where the yields and profits are far greater? EK has a lot of 380s on order but it is still a finite fleet, why not place the resources where they are known to be profitable.

waly777

Sun May 07, 2017 1:46 am

Polot wrote:
waly777 wrote:

Yes, but a month long cut, at the start of the busy summer season, less than a month ahead of time with no previous warning it weird.

This could just be a strategy to constrain supply, thus pushing up demand for the other 2 non stop flights. I have no clue what their LF to JFK is, however this is certainly welcome news to the other carriers during a peak period. Reduced capacity will certainly push up the fares and improve yield for the route.

I imagine the current situation messed up their forecast and demand hasn't materialised as expected, simply matching capacity to demand and maximising revenue in the process.
The test of first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold 2 opposed ideas in the mind concurrently, and still function

waly777

Sun May 07, 2017 1:50 am

adamh8297 wrote:
Things must not be good - One would thing cutting BOS allows any flow to go through JFK instead.

Don't mistake high LF on QR for profitability. They tend to offer the lowest fares of the ME3 and seem to be chasing market share. Filling up your flight with tactical and entry level structural rbd's is usually not the best way to make money, especially when there is demand for better revenue.

waly777

Sun May 07, 2017 3:18 am

9w748capt wrote:
waly777 wrote:

Which is even crazier given that's peak season to India. Maybe the US-India market isn't what it used to be? Or maybe the rest of the the government airlines including AI are cutting into EK enough?

Perhaps, i suspect they've accepted the overcapacity in the market and are making necessary adjustments.

Whalejet

Sun May 07, 2017 3:22 am

9w748capt wrote:
waly777 wrote:

Indian Economy is growing pretty well, around 7%. Maybe this has something to do with the demonetization fiasco? If you haven't heard of it, basically the Indian government removed monetary value from a few banknotes, forcing farmers to go to ATMs and wait in long lines to get cash redeemed. Then again, poor farmers aren't exactly the demographic who would fly to the US...

Another thing with India is currently a massive heat wave going on throughout the country. I personally have put off any travel to India over the summer, because I've been to India in the summer, and when it gets hot, it gets HOT. Also, legislature in India passed a bill banning the sale of alcohol within 500 meters of major roads, which basically kills the sale of alcohol in hundreds of major hotels. I don't think competition in India is growing too much-AI is still the mess it always was, IndiGo is domestic, and if anything would help EK with the abundance of connecting traffic.

VTORD

Sun May 07, 2017 1:35 pm

Whalejet wrote:

Indian Economy is growing pretty well, around 7%. Maybe this has something to do with the demonetization fiasco? If you haven't heard of it, basically the Indian government removed monetary value from a few banknotes, forcing farmers to go to ATMs and wait in long lines to get cash redeemed. Then again, poor farmers aren't exactly the demographic who would fly to the US...

Another thing with India is currently a massive heat wave going on throughout the country. I personally have put off any travel to India over the summer, because I've been to India in the summer, and when it gets hot, it gets HOT. Also, legislature in India passed a bill banning the sale of alcohol within 500 meters of major roads, which basically kills the sale of alcohol in hundreds of major hotels. I don't think competition in India is growing too much-AI is still the mess it always was, IndiGo is domestic, and if anything would help EK with the abundance of connecting traffic.

I doubt demonetization, the heat wave or the alcohol law had anything to do with US - India travel numbers. The one thing that could potentially lower this number is the recent uncertainty over skilled non-immigrant visas. A lot of H1/L1 visa holders may desist from traveling over the summer especially those who will need visa stamping before coming back or those who might be in the pre I-140 stage of their green card processing.

Students coming over for the Fall will start bookings right about now or in another couple of weeks so I doubt that is a factor here. Yet.
Twitter: @spottingfoodie

uberflieger

Sun May 07, 2017 3:14 pm

VTORD wrote:
I doubt demonetization, the heat wave or the alcohol law had anything to do with US - India travel numbers

:checkmark:

Something much more fundamental is happening. The sheiks are running out of monopoly money for pet projects. After a short spike crude fell back to $45 a barrel this past week and Goldman Sachs on Friday warned of a possible drop below $40.This is finally putting an end to air fares below cost and flooding the market with inventory. It's leveling the playing field for the US3/EU3 alliances.

The high-rolling Al Maktoum family of Dubai has been in trouble before. Only that was with crude above $100 a barrel and Abu Dhabi flush with money to bail them out. Now the Emiri, Qatar Royals, Saudi Royals are all facing government shortfalls and cutbacks, which if it persists has the potential of political instability.

There's a reason Buffet of all people now holds large investments in AAL,DAL,SWA,UAL. Maybe you should too ;)
Angel Jacinto Noh Tun para Presidente
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcUdQvNUpl4

N212R

Sun May 07, 2017 3:33 pm

If Goldman Sachs warns, that means they're half a dozen moves ahead on the oil spigot game board...the rest is just window dressing.

747megatop

Sun May 07, 2017 10:09 pm

lightsaber wrote:
747megatop wrote:

That vulnerability makes me wonder why the GoI doesn't change their laws/polities to promote more international to international traffic. For that connecting traffic is their only achilles heel. For example, BKK to Europe could be routed many competitors. The new IST or Indian hubs with equal viability to the ME3 to Europe and only slight disadvantage to the USA.

Or SouthEast Asia to Europe... Or the East Coast USA.

Only if the ME3 are starved of connecting traffic will the competition be viable. If the connecting traffic is left to be for the ME3, than the new-IST will allow Turkey to Thrive to the US still... But for the Indian airlines to thrive, they need the connections. Or let EK continue to dominate. I'm just curious and have no horse in the race.

Lightsaber

A friend forwarded me this link - https://indiaaviationforum.blogspot.com ... orces.html

That article makes and interesting reading. So, this may be the beginning of the very statement "Only if the ME3 are starved of connecting traffic" you made?

Bricktop

Sun May 07, 2017 10:14 pm

KTPAFlyer wrote:
In a new announcement, (not to be confused with the previous cuts) EK has announced it is cutting one JFK-DXB nonstop frequency, reducing the overall count from 3X to 2X daily for the month of June as it decides how to proceed in the future. The Milan flight is unaffected; the cut flight is EK207/208 that arrives at 8:45PM and departs at 4:30PM. From the previous thread, someone foreshadowed this possibility:

Bricktop wrote:
Still 4 x A388 daily to JFK and the new B77W daily to EWR. When those downgauge I will get nervous for EK.

Something tells me that EK's "evaluation" means that this flight is not coming back anytime soon.

I am getting a little nervous for EK. EK207 was the last EK flight to be added to JFK, so maybe the time schedule sucked and it became expendable. Still, this can't be spun as a positive.

KarelXWB

Mon May 08, 2017 8:13 am

adamh8297 wrote:

Yes QR is growing rapidly in the USA but the airline is barely profitable and seem to be chasing market share. And yes, EK could lower ticket prices instead of cutting flights. But Emirates does not want to fight Qatar Airways' yield war.
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

parapente

Mon May 08, 2017 9:47 am

I agree Karel.Its a bit like another thread about 'ME3'.They really are not the same animals.2 are simply copying the success of 'the original '.In the case of Emirates not only are they a soundly business based. The airline is only part of a much wider global hub strategy based in Dubai.

I have noticed certain Governments around the World favouring 'the other two' simply because they know they are fundamentally weak with a business case literally based in sand.Whereas they fear the power Emirates- which is understandable.

Having said that Emirates is facing a 'perfect storm' and undoubtedly it is time to review and retrench.It is certainly right not to get caught up in a price was with the other 2 ME's.But low fuel prices and a new range of super economical long range planes will also hurt them.The India-USA direct flights must be somewhat worrying.We don't know how the Australia-Europe non stop flights will go but it could be a further loss of some traffic.
None of which augers well for the A380 btw.I can well see their operational fleet top out at 100 whereas it was looking like 120-140 not so long ago.

dtw2hyd

Mon May 08, 2017 12:08 pm

CAPA stopped drinking English Tea, looks like it is hooked on to Qatari drink.

QR is eating Dubai premium traffic and TK is eating in economy traffic, AI is picking up non-stop traffic.

There is one more analysis of the situation. QR has better fleet and better network. When AAB gets B737MAX, he will have more options to open thin routes.

CaliguyNYC

Mon May 08, 2017 2:02 pm

I don't think India-US traffic is down (both the US and India are doing well). I think this is a direct result of AI's expansion plus the 9W/DL deal. Star was always strong in India and with AI launching new routes, Star travelers have even fewer reasons to fly the ME3. DL/AF/VS/KL partnership with 9W also seems to have come with a commitment from them to offer cheap seats on the EU/US legs to economically fill 9W's and AF/KL/VS's flights to India. Its just too many seats that are now up for grabs on the India-US routes. Add to that the laptop ban and FF miles and it doesn't surprise me EK is hurting. KLM just announced that they might start their own AMS-BOM flight. I think AF/KL know the ME3 are hurting and are pushing hard (a KL BOM flight is a bit surprising). One might say its about time they woke up. EU/US carriers have ignored India for decades. Its too big a source of traffic to ignore. Basically handed the ME3 a base to build an empire.

ikramerica

Mon May 08, 2017 2:09 pm

blrsea wrote:
I have taken the SEA flights 3-4 times over the last one year and the flights were always full or definitely greater than 80-90%, and this was true on weekday departures too. In fact, the early morning arrival flight into SEA used to fill up earlier than the afternoon arrival one. On weekends, the morning departure flight would also fill up faster than the evening one. A bit surprised that they cut one flight to SEA.

Also surprised that the cuts are coming during summer, the peak travel season of US. People used to book tickets to India from SEA at least 4-3 months in advance as fares would go north of $2000 from mid-June to early Sept. I could understand this if cuts were starting from say Sept 1st or so, but cutting during July bang in middle of busy summer season, that's strange.

Did you find the fairs low when you flew? Lower than you expected? Maybe that was part of why the flight was full every time.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

TerminalD

Mon May 08, 2017 2:20 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
@MoKa777

There is nothing wrong in debating with respect to each other. So far EK threads end up in personal insults to anyone questioning EK's management, threads gets heavily sanitized and finally closed.

We are just brainstorming ideas about an entity run by someone else, no one here knows (or) should claim to know the facts or future plans. There can be a continued civil discussion.

As someone who is pretty agnostic about all the airlines, I would say that the capacity cuts EK have done are much less dramatic than the international cuts Delta does every year at the end of Summer. If these end up lasting less than a year I think this is all massively overblown. The only reason this is even being discussed is that EK operates the old style non-seasonalized schedule (plenty of intl carriers still operate that way), so people aren't used to these types of cuts from them. To suggest a change in management over adjustments in capacity seems fairly hilarious. Spirit just did the same thing this week. They don't normally do seasonal schedules either and just cut Fall by some around 7%. Should the NK management be replaced?

blrsea

Mon May 08, 2017 2:21 pm

ikramerica wrote:
blrsea wrote:
I have taken the SEA flights 3-4 times over the last one year and the flights were always full or definitely greater than 80-90%, and this was true on weekday departures too. In fact, the early morning arrival flight into SEA used to fill up earlier than the afternoon arrival one. On weekends, the morning departure flight would also fill up faster than the evening one. A bit surprised that they cut one flight to SEA.

Also surprised that the cuts are coming during summer, the peak travel season of US. People used to book tickets to India from SEA at least 4-3 months in advance as fares would go north of $2000 from mid-June to early Sept. I could understand this if cuts were starting from say Sept 1st or so, but cutting during July bang in middle of busy summer season, that's strange.

Did you find the fairs low when you flew? Lower than you expected? Maybe that was part of why the flight was full every time.

Nope, the fares were on par and bit more than BA/EY. But EY was two-stops and DXB is better for transit compared to LHR for us Indians.

gsg013

Mon May 08, 2017 2:53 pm

Has anyone flown the EWR-ATH flight on EK? As a Greek American I would love to hear a review/ some input on this flight as my family would definitely consider it as an alternative to the DL JFK-ATH .

jumbojet

Mon May 08, 2017 4:06 pm

UA should consider withdrawing from SEA all together. Both flights routinely go out very empty in all cabins. I could see a single Boeing 787-800 on this route but nothing more than that.

rebr

Wed May 10, 2017 8:51 am

Bricktop wrote:
KTPAFlyer wrote:

Bricktop wrote:

I am getting a little nervous for EK. EK207 was the last EK flight to be added to JFK, so maybe the time schedule sucked and it became expendable. Still, this can't be spun as a positive.

Just realized this one affects me. EK rebooked me on 201/202. Not a biggy, but the 207 was actually the best timed flight imo. 1500h departure which means I get to work the morning in Dubai, stay awake on the flight, arrive in the night in New York, get some sleep and you're good to go the next day. On 201 you depart in the morning, you lose the day, and you have to drag yourself through half a day in New York before getting proper sleep. Anyways, as Bricktop says, I doubt this flight will come back anytime soon.

eksath
Crew

Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:25 pm

DXB-FLL-DXB just lost one more daily. It is 4X as off today (June 17th 2017) Surprise ! :-)
See EK website for source. (Also, the plane did not arrive at FLL today. It was cancelled)
https://www.emirates.com/ae/english/des ... lauderdale

"4 weekly flights between Dubai (DXB) and Fort Lauderdale (FLL)"
World Wide Aerospace Photography

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos