airzona11

Re: Emirates Cuts Flights to US

Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:04 pm

Has this caused a drop in EK flights to the UK?

TransGlobalGold wrote:

Unless another court over-turns the revised ban. it's going to stick. If 45 had his way, the only people entering the United States would be privileged white people.

I think you are reading the wrong travel ban. Or did I misread it?

pompos

Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:25 pm

airzona11 wrote:

Why should they drop? UK's laptop ban doesn't apply to UAE.

winginit

Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:10 pm

Pe@rson wrote:
Rather sensible to (temporarily) reduce capacity to help maintain if not increase unit revenue and load factor.

The interesting follow up will be where we see this capacity re-deployed. All these new widebodies need to be kept flying in order to get paid off - you can't just park them without continued financial bleeding.

pa747sp

Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:20 pm

pa747sp wrote:
So this will mean a lot of spare capacity in the short term. Do you think they will redeploy it elsewhere, perhaps by opening new routes, or will they take the hit and park the aircraft?

EK has already said that they will be redeploying the aircraft elsewhere - see post 28.[/quote]

I don't see anything in post 28 about EK deployment of aircraft - just copies of emails sent to the industry about rebooking pax affected.
Nothing seems as good since the VC10.

mcogator

Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:05 am

jfklganyc wrote:
mcogator wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
Wow a ton of people don't want to visit Dubai? Shocker.

The world isn't US centric. Dubai was the 4th most visited city in the world last year by the international traveler, with 2.5 million more international visitors than NYC.

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/the-10-most-visited-cities-around-the-world-in-2016-a7487791.html

Do you understand that list?

Those are international visitors only. Not total visitors.

It is why island cities and developing countries with one major city have huge "international" stays....all their tourism comes from outside their borders.

Get a source with "total" tourism numbers to make your point about Dubai being the most visited city.

For instance, NY jumps to 50 million visitors...much larger tourist draw than say Dubai.

You quoted my post which stated "international" twice on the two points...

The population of the US is 50% more than the entire population of the Middle East. There aren't any visa requirements, language barriers, etc for any American to visit NY. Heck, Orlando has 66 million(2015) visitors a year, the most in the US. My exact point was proving that "people don't want to visit Dubai", and "Dubai is crashing" as totally incorrect assumptions based on EK cutting frequency to a number of US cities.

DXB traffic up 8.8% in February 2017
http://www.tradearabia.com/news/TTN_322537.html

DXB traffic up 9.7% in January 2017, surpassing 8 million pax for the first time
http://gulfnews.com/business/aviation/passenger-traffic-at-dxb-jumps-10-to-8m-1.1986700

My point: World isn't US centric. EK cuts frequency to US doesn't mean EK is going under and Dubai will turn into an empty desert wasteland.
“Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta

David_itl

Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:00 am

pompos wrote:
airzona11 wrote:

Why should they drop? UK's laptop ban doesn't apply to UAE.

BHX is reported to be going from 3 daily to 2 daily effective 1st September.

alfa164

Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:09 am

DDR wrote:
Ah klm617 you never fail to disappoint. Some of the cities that EK added were questionable at best. Also, the US3 are not run out of greed. Do you even understand how capitalism works? How is making a profit greed? My 401 (retirement) is largely tied to my airlines financial success. Them being profitable helps me and millions of other people. Please do some research before making false posts.

If he/she/it had to do research, we wouldn't ejjoy such "entertaining" posts here. Every website needs its resident village idiot... ;)

KarelXWB
Crew

Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:44 am

winginit wrote:
The interesting follow up will be where we see this capacity re-deployed. All these new widebodies need to be kept flying in order to get paid off - you can't just park them without continued financial bleeding.

pa747sp wrote:
So this will mean a lot of spare capacity in the short term. Do you think they will redeploy it elsewhere, perhaps by opening new routes, or will they take the hit and park the aircraft?

Emirates will shift aircraft to destinations in Malaysia, Oceania and Africa
This server is powered by a lemon and two electrodes.

DJWM

Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:53 am

Emirates will shift aircraft to destinations in Malaysia, Oceania and Africa

The airliners might be redeployed to markets ranging from countries in the Pacific to Africa and Europe, he said.

Pellegrine

Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:33 am

Pretty pathetic prejudiced protectionism by the current US government, it won't last. I have to laugh at some of my fellow US members posting snarky messages saying EK is crashing down.

It seems like a temporary adjustment in light of the current political climate. Airlines have to do this all the time.
oh boy, here we go!!!

dtw2hyd

Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:59 am

So daily double B77W to Port Vila.

Good to know they are getting redeployed somewhere else on earth.
What about 6xA380s and 12xB77Ws joining the fleet this year.
What about B773s supposed to have returned to lessor.

Send someone to Embry-Riddle or Eastern Michigan now, they will have better planning skills in two years.

dubaiamman243

Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:17 am

From Bloomberg article:

" Emirates has no plans to suspend any U.S. routes, Clark said. The flight reductions are temporary, and new aircraft it’s receiving this year will still be assigned to the affected cities when “things restore themselves to some kind of equilibrium” in the market. Emirates will continue to consider potential orders at U.S. planemaker Boeing Co., as well as European competitor Airbus SE, as it looks at narrow-body aircraft."

jomur

Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:46 am

Don't all airlines periodically make changes to their flights and still survive? Seems a bit quick to say Emirates is going to fall apart due to a few strategic route changes that every airline do as part of due diligence of normal operating procedures...

klm617

Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:10 pm

DDR wrote:
Ah klm617 you never fail to disappoint. Some of the cities that EK added were questionable at best. Also, the US3 are not run out of greed. Do you even understand how capitalism works? How is making a profit greed? My 401 (retirement) is largely tied to my airlines financial success. Them being profitable helps me and millions of other people. Please do some research before making false posts.

That argument is some lame tell me how many foreign made electronics you own or the foreign car you drive because it's affordable and what about those people who work in those industries and their 401Ks. Why should airlines be any different that bring a much more affordable option to the market place and a better quality product and what about all the maintenance done on the cheap overseas. So it's OK for the airline to chose overseas vendors because it's cheaper but they want to consumer to not benefit from that choice. Kind of reminds me of Lee Iacocca telling everyone to but his American cars while getting the components from cheap overseas vendors. You been brainwashed well by the establishment that want's you to believe greed is good as long as it turns a profit.

Bricktop

Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:38 pm

Pellegrine wrote:
Pretty pathetic prejudiced protectionism by the current US government, it won't last. I have to laugh at some of my fellow US members posting snarky messages saying EK is crashing down.

It seems like a temporary adjustment in light of the current political climate. Airlines have to do this all the time.

Excellent alliteration, Pellegrine!

dtw2hyd

Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:43 pm

Any decision by an airline is commercial decision. Calling it a commercial decision doesn't give more credence to management.

Boiler plate run-of-the-mill airline strategies/statements (though conveniently used by PR/fans) will not fit into a business model based on largest blunders committed in the industry.

Sure other airlines do adjust routes seasonally, but they don't have 100s of WBs on order and taking delivery of 2+ WBs every month.

Premium yields and loads were way down long before Trump was voted in. Straight from horse's mouth. Pilots were not quitting because of Trump's travel/electronics ban.

Flightsimboy

Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:00 pm

PerfectGriffin wrote:
. In a few weeks you will hear about EY and QR cutting frequencies to the US. EK is always the first of the ME3 to react and make changes, and the other two follow.

Will keep an eye out for your bold statement above. You say in a few weeks, correct, just as the peak summer season is to roll in.

olle

Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:43 pm

How will this in the end effect ME3 purchases of Boeing planes?

If ME3 is so political as described here can Trump administration have any effect?

chrisnh

Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:09 pm

I appreciate the knowledge here on this forum. I pretty much rapidly concluded that since Boston was carrying more passengers on a daily basis than a single 77W could carry, the new single flight would likely end up being an A380. But I was simply considering people and not freight. And it seems as though the A380 is NOT all things to all markets and that the 77W is really a better plane in some situations. So, I learned something. Thank you. As for Logan with its brand-new A380 gates, wow...what an embarrassment. Of course, it was a different competitive landscape when that project was drawn up and funded.

AvroLanc

Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:18 pm

Guessing all carriers will be suffering as people in general think twice about where to spend their vacation/money. My guess is tourism will be down from Europe and the middle east during the current US administration. Will be interesting to see load factors over the next year.
707,717,727,732,734,737,738,742,744,767,773,DC8,9,10,MD80,L1011,HSTrident,BAC111,DHComet.DH8-100,Q400,CRJ100,200,700,EM75,90,A310,319,320,321,333

Taco2sDay

Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:28 am

alfa164 wrote:
DDR wrote:

If he/she/it had to do research, we wouldn't ejjoy such "entertaining" posts here. Every website needs its resident village idiot... ;)

Thanks for making me laugh! Some of these "entertaining" comments make a bad day turn humorous!

lightsaber
Crew

Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:12 am

mcogator wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:
mcogator wrote:

The world isn't US centric. Dubai was the 4th most visited city in the world last year by the international traveler, with 2.5 million more international visitors than NYC.

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/the-10-most-visited-cities-around-the-world-in-2016-a7487791.html

Do you understand that list?

Those are international visitors only. Not total visitors.

It is why island cities and developing countries with one major city have huge "international" stays....all their tourism comes from outside their borders.

Get a source with "total" tourism numbers to make your point about Dubai being the most visited city.

For instance, NY jumps to 50 million visitors...much larger tourist draw than say Dubai.

You quoted my post which stated "international" twice on the two points...

The population of the US is 50% more than the entire population of the Middle East. There aren't any visa requirements, language barriers, etc for any American to visit NY. Heck, Orlando has 66 million(2015) visitors a year, the most in the US. My exact point was proving that "people don't want to visit Dubai", and "Dubai is crashing" as totally incorrect assumptions based on EK cutting frequency to a number of US cities.

DXB traffic up 8.8% in February 2017
http://www.tradearabia.com/news/TTN_322537.html

DXB traffic up 9.7% in January 2017, surpassing 8 million pax for the first time
http://gulfnews.com/business/aviation/passenger-traffic-at-dxb-jumps-10-to-8m-1.1986700

My point: World isn't US centric. EK cuts frequency to US doesn't mean EK is going under and Dubai will turn into an empty desert wasteland.

8 million in a month?!? What airports hit that besides ATL? Does PEK, LHR, or HND hit 8 million in a month?

I didn't realize DXB was growing that quick this year.

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

KarelXWB
Crew

Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:03 am

CAPA has a good read story on the cut back:

Emirates has multiple reasons for cutting back on US capacity

To give the discussion some perspective:

The reduction seems significant but needs to be placed in perspective. While Emirates is cutting flights, some flights were only recently introduced (the second Los Angeles service in Jul-2016) and there have been other recent additions that will remain (Newark in Mar-2017). The sum of the changes means that from Jul-2017 Emirates in the US will be back to its size at Nov-2016.

That doesn't sound like the sky is falling.

The article gives several reasons why EK needs to (temporary) cut back flights to the US. Flight travel restrictions have been mentioned already, Qatar Airways would be another reason:

Qatar Airways USA growth: Qatar Airways is one factor in the increased competition. Qatar Airways expanded rapidly in the US.

In an 11 month period from Nov-2015 to Sep-2016, Qatar Airways grew its North American presence by 60% in terms of frequencies and 66% for seat capacity. From 2015 to Jul-2017, Emirates will have added 1.3 daily flights in North America (reflecting announced reductions), Etihad no flights, Turkish 2.1 flights, and Qatar 4.3 flights.

Indian carriers are also a factor. I suggest reading the entire article.
This server is powered by a lemon and two electrodes.

anshabhi

Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:56 am

dtw2hyd

Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:49 am

Different perspective.

Apparently Qatar increasing capacity and Etihad maintaining at current levels to US.

https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2017/04/2 ... wn-making/

http://www.routesonline.com/news/29/bre ... ng-demand/

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos