Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jbs2886
Topic Author

Emirates Cuts Flights to US

Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:29 pm

Cuts down to once daily in SEA, BOS and LAX.

Goes to 5x weekly in MCO and FLL.

http://www.startribune.com/emirates-tri ... 419838273/

Bricktop

Re: Emirates Cuts Flights to US

Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:38 pm

Still 4 x A388 daily to JFK and the new B77W daily to EWR. When those downgauge I will get nervous for EK.

anshabhi

Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:39 pm

When's​ their annual report coming?
Last edited by anshabhi on Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chrisnh

Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:43 pm

I think this means the A380 for Boston.

northsouthnomad

Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:54 pm

not that surprising with the way the US government is trying to stick their fingers into all foreign business in the air industry. They could not ban them outright so md it more difficult. That and the fact that far less people want to visit the US for the foreseeable future.

Adipocere

Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:54 pm

The contrived "laptop ban" seems to be paying off.

whywhyzee

Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:57 pm

chrisnh wrote:

From a cut in service you extrapolate to it must mean they are bringing the A380? I believe there is a difference between wanting something and thinking something might actually happen. (Not saying it won't, but this definitely doesn't make it look very likely.)

cessna53996

Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:01 pm

chrisnh wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. The one daily flight filled up pretty well before the 2nd daily flight started, for what I remember.

WorldFlier

Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:02 pm

Adipocere wrote:

This.

rajincajun01

Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:03 pm

SEA flight being moved to DEN? International route announcement being held downtown today.

KTPAFlyer

Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:05 pm

I'm starting to wonder what AAB meant when said when he said on CNN that there was a drop in bookings but that it was "manageable." EK is the litmus test for the entirety of Gulf and South Asia demand, and if EK is already cutting frequencies, QR and EY are definitely in serious trouble.

usxguy

Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:21 pm

the laptop "ban" wasn't a horrible ordeal. I just flew DXB-MCO a few weeks ago and the flight went by uneventfully.

KTPAFlyer

Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:26 pm

usxguy wrote:
the laptop "ban" wasn't a horrible ordeal. I just flew DXB-MCO a few weeks ago and the flight went by uneventfully.

The laptop ban doesn't impact regular pax that watch movies for the entire flight, it impacts those who have to carry their company laptop in carry on luggage. If I was one of those people, then that would indeed be a horrible ordeal.

wedgetail737

Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:33 pm

rajincajun01 wrote:
SEA flight being moved to DEN? International route announcement being held downtown today.

I thought having 2x daily SEA-DXB was way too much in the first place. I would guess that the early morning departure will be the one cut for the foreseeable future. That will become an opportunity for another international airline that wants a gate in the morning.

rajincajun01

Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:36 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:

I thought having 2x daily SEA-DXB was way too much in the first place. I would guess that the early morning departure will be the one cut for the foreseeable future. That will become an opportunity for another international airline that wants a gate in the morning.

Sorry, DEN is having an announcement. I wasn't clear.

chrisnh

Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:37 pm

The loads on the two Boston flights are carrying too many people for one 777 to handle. Perhaps SEA, too.

KTPAFlyer

Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:43 pm

rajincajun01 wrote:

Copa?

rajincajun01

Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:44 pm

KTPAFlyer wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:

Copa?

Indeed. Starts Dec 11.

winginit

Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:53 pm

northsouthnomad wrote:
not that surprising with the way the US government is trying to stick their fingers into all foreign business in the air industry. They could not ban them outright so md it more difficult. That and the fact that far less people want to visit the US for the foreseeable future.

Adipocere wrote:

If the US Government really wanted to have an impact wouldn't they simply formally review the Open Skies agreement (which the US3 have been screaming for them to do for years now) as opposed to a laptop ban with questionable impact?

chrisnh

Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:55 pm

whywhyzee wrote:
chrisnh wrote:

From a cut in service you extrapolate to it must mean they are bringing the A380? I believe there is a difference between wanting something and thinking something might actually happen. (Not saying it won't, but this definitely doesn't make it look very likely.)

It's very easy to extrapolate this. The two daily 777s on the Boston route are carrying far too many people for only one of them to handle. What's the solution if not the A380?

330west

Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:07 pm

chrisnh wrote:
whywhyzee wrote:
chrisnh wrote:

It's very easy to extrapolate this. The two daily 777s on the Boston route are carrying far too many people for only one of them to handle. What's the solution if not the A380?

The solution would be to raise fares in an effort to turn what was obviously a poorly performing route into a stronger route. They aren't a public transit authority. Not everyone is entitled to a seat on the bus.

MaksFly

Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:22 pm

330west wrote:
chrisnh wrote:
whywhyzee wrote:

The solution would be to raise fares in an effort to turn what was obviously a poorly performing route into a stronger route. They aren't a public transit authority. Not everyone is entitled to a seat on the bus.

Yes, they can do that, but then they would be competing with other carriers too.

EK's model is all about stuffing as many people as they can through their hub. By shutting people off at Boston.... the vast majority of them, who are not heading to DXB, will not have a seat on the flight from the middle east to their final destination.

usairways85

Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:23 pm

chrisnh wrote:
whywhyzee wrote:
chrisnh wrote:

Unless we have the load numbers for the past 3 months it's tough to say what this is. It could be a shift in aircraft utilization or it could be a drop in demand to no longer warrant that many daily seats. But whatever it is, it seems to be a calculated strategic move by EK across multiple flights/destinations. And not necessarily a specific shift in BOS because of specific factors at BOS

MaksFly

Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:25 pm

northsouthnomad wrote:

It is not about the US. It is about the global economy.

You have Boeing lay offs, you have other carriers who are seeing lower profits. The international markets are fully saturated. After 8 years of global growth it is time for a recession.

Obviously the management WILL be blaming EVERYTHING and EVERYONE for their issues of course.

Yet didn't we recently get numbers and discuss in a post here that the "muslim bans" had negligible effect on travel to the US?

CHI787ORD

Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:36 pm

This all sounds like a convenient excuse for what are inevitable capacity drawbacks. EK doesn't have the best LF in most of their U.S. markets.

winginit

Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:38 pm

MaksFly wrote:
The international markets are fully saturated. After 8 years of global growth it is time for a recession.

Time for a plateau, sure, but whether or not we get an aviation recession will, as always, come down to what oil does.

Irehdna

Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:28 pm

From what I see:
LAX = A380
BOS = A380
SEA = 77W
ORL = 77W
FLL = 77W/L*

*Not sure if 77W can take off to DXB from FLL's short runways

avgeektravelinc

Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:33 pm

From Emirates to Travel Agents via email: (first time post long time lurker - just wanted to share info) Cheers!

EMIRATES CAPACITY CHANGES
Dear Business Partner,

Emirates can confirm that we will be reducing flights to five of the 12 US cities that we currently serve. From 1 May and 23 May respectively, our Fort Lauderdale and Orlando operations will move from daily services to five a week. From 1 and 2 June respectively, our Seattle and Boston operations will move from twice-daily services, to a daily service. From 1 July, our operations to Los Angeles will move from a twice-daily to a daily service.

The details are as follows:

Fort Lauderdale: Frequencies will be reduced from daily to five weekly starting 01 May 2017. Hence, EK213/214 DXB-FLL-DXB on Mondays and Wednesdays stands cancelled effective 01 May.

Orlando: Frequencies will be reduced from daily to five weekly gradually starting 23 May 2017. Hence, EK219/220 DXB-MCO-DXB on Tuesdays stands cancelled effective 23 May, and Thursdays stands cancelled effective 15 June.

Seattle: The second service to SEA will be suspended on a daily basis effective 01 June 2017. Hence, the daily EK227/228 DXB-SEA-DXB flight stands cancelled effective 01 June. As already announced earlier, a few flights have already been cancelled on an ad-hoc basis during the months of May and June.

Boston: The second service to BOS will be suspended on a daily basis effective 02 June 2017. Hence, the daily EK239/240 DXB-BOS-DXB flight stands cancelled effective 02 June.

Los Angeles: The second service to LAX will be suspended on a daily basis effective 01 July 2017. Hence, the daily EK217/218 DXB-LAX-DXB flight stands cancelled effective 01 July. As already announced earlier, this flight has already been cancelled during the months of May and June.

This is a commercial decision in response to weakened travel demand to US. The recent actions taken by the US government relating to the issuance of entry visas, heightened security vetting, and restrictions on electronic devices in aircraft cabins, have had a direct impact on consumer interest and demand for air travel into the US. Over the past three months, we have seen a significant deterioration in the booking profiles on all our US routes, across all travel segments. Emirates has therefore responded as any profit-oriented enterprise would, and we will redeploy capacity to serve demand on other routes on our global network.

Emirates is committed to our US operations and will continue to serve our 12 US gateways – New York JFK, Newark, Boston, Washington DC, Chicago, Seattle, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Houston, Dallas, Fort Lauderdale, and Orlando - with 101 flight departures per week, connecting these cities to Dubai and our global network of over 150 cities. We will closely monitor the situation with the view to reinstate and grow our US flight operations as soon as viable.

Fort Lauderdale FLL (EK213/214)
Emirates can confirm that frequency on flights (EK 213/214) serving the Fort Lauderdale (FLL) – Dubai (DXB) route will be reduced to a 5 weekly operation effective May 01, 2017. Flights on days 1 (Monday) & 3 (Wednesday) will be cancelled. This decision was made as part of our routine operational review, to ensure that our capacity is deployed to best serve customer demand across our global network. We remain committed to Fort Lauderdale and will continue to serve our customers on this route with 5 weekly flights.

Affected Days of Week:
Day 1 – Monday
Day 3 – Wednesday

Passengers that were booked on the above mentioned flights have been automatically rebooked on alternate flights. We would like to draw your attention to the following additional rebooking information:

Single-ticket through-fare itineraries which include a US domestic/regional feeder flight:
The domestic US feeder flights have NOT been auto-rebooked and these flights must be re-booked manually. If you are unable to rebook in the original booking class (RBD) on the new US domestic feeder flight, please refer to the booking class table shown in the GDS against the EK fare used and book one of the specified alternatives. If none of these booking classes are available, please book in the lowest available RBD in the original cabin booked that is available for the feeder flight. Only one FOC change shall be permitted per ticket and the re-issued ticket should be endorsed “INVOL REROUTE DUE TO CXNL EK213/214”

Re-routing/re-issuance of tickets:
If the new itinerary is not convenient for the passenger, the passenger can be re-routed using JetBlue (B6), Alaska Airlines (AS) or Virgin America (VX) via any Emirates US gateway. For booking classes on AS, B6 and VX please refer to the GDS. Only one FOC change shall be permitted per ticket and the re-issued ticket should be endorsed “INVOL REROUTE DUE TO CXNL EK213/214”. The Emirates portion should be booked in the original RBD. If the original RBD is not available on one of the EK flights, you can re-book the segment in the lowest available RBD in the same cabin.

Cancellations & Refunds: The following options may be offered to passengers who wish to cancel their trips:

Fully unused tickets: A full refund may be offered. Please note “INVOL REROUTE DUE TO CXNL EK213/214" in the ARC report when processing the refund. You must contact Sales Support for a waiver to process.

Partially used tickets: Refund of the residual amount after deducting the applicable one-way fare for the journey completed. In the absence of a OW fare, or where the applicable OW fare is higher than original RT fare collect, use 25% of the original base fare and 50% of YQ as the residual amount due to the passenger as well as all unused taxes to process the refund. Please note “INVOL REROUTE DUE TO CXNL EK213/214” in the ARC report when processing the refund. You must contact Sales Support for a waiver to process.

Alternatively: The residual/refund amount may be converted into an eMD for future travel on EK valid for one year from DOI. The eMD should be annotated “INVOL REROUTE DUE TO CXNL EK213/214”.

These rebooking conditions are applicable to Emirates commercial passengers who had purchased tickets on or before April 18, 2017 including travel on flights EK213/EK214 effected by the reduction in frequencies mentioned above.

If you are unable to rebook as per guidelines above, please contact your local Sales Support office for waiver.

Orlando MCO (EK219/220)

Emirates can confirm that frequency on flights (EK 219/220) serving the Orlando (MCO) – Dubai (DXB) route will be reduced gradually to a 5 weekly flight operation effective May 23, 2017. Flights on day 2 (Tuesday) will be cancelled effective May 23, 2017 and flights on day 4 (Thursday) will be cancelled effective June 15, 2017. This decision was made as part of our routine operational review, to ensure that our capacity is deployed to best serve customer demand across our global network. We remain committed to Orlando and will continue to serve our customers on this route with 5 weekly flights.

Affected Days of Week:
Day 2 – Tuesday – Effective May 23, 2017
Day 4 – Thursday – Effective June 15, 2017

Passengers that were booked on the above mentioned flights have been automatically rebooked on alternate flights. We would like to draw your attention to the following additional rebooking information:
Single-ticket through-fare itineraries which include a US domestic/regional feeder flight:
The domestic US feeder flights have NOT been auto-rebooked and these flights must be re-booked manually. If you are unable to rebook in the original booking class (RBD) on the new US domestic feeder flight, please refer to the booking class table shown in the GDS against the EK fare used and book one of the specified alternatives. If none of these booking classes are available, please book in the lowest available RBD in the original cabin booked that is available for the feeder flight. Only one FOC change shall be permitted per ticket and the re-issued ticket should be endorsed “INVOL REROUTE DUE TO CXNL EK219/220”

If the new itinerary is not convenient for the passenger, the passenger can be re-routed using JetBlue (B6), Alaska Airlines (AS) or Virgin America (VX) via any Emirates US gateway. For booking classes on AS, B6 and VX please refer to the GDS. Only one FOC change shall be permitted per ticket and the re-issued ticket should be endorsed “INVOL REROUTE DUE TO CXNL EK219/220”. The Emirates portion should be booked in the original RBD. If the original RBD is not available on one of the EK flights, you can re-book the segment in the lowest available RBD in the same cabin.

Cancellations & Refunds: The following options may be offered to passengers who wish to cancel their trips:

Fully unused tickets: A full refund may be offered. Please note “INVOL REROUTE DUE TO CXNL EK219/220" in the ARC report when processing the refund. You must contact Sales Support for a waiver to process.

Partially used tickets: Refund of the residual amount after deducting the applicable one-way fare for the journey completed. In the absence of a OW fare, or where the applicable OW fare is higher than original RT fare collect, use 25% of the original base fare and 50% of YQ as the residual amount due to the passenger as well as all unused taxes to process the refund. Please note “INVOL REROUTE DUE TO CXNL EK219/220” in the ARC report when processing the refund. You must contact Sales Support for a waiver to process.
Alternatively: The residual/refund amount may be converted into an eMD for future travel on EK valid for one year from DOI. The eMD should be annotated “INVOL REROUTE DUE TO CXNL EK219/220”.

These rebooking conditions are applicable to Emirates commercial passengers who had purchased tickets on or before April 18, 2017 including travel on flights EK219/220 effected by the reduction in frequencies mentioned above.

If you are unable to rebook as per guidelines above, please contact your local Sales Support office for waiver.

Seattle SEA (EK 227/228)
Emirates can confirm that one of its two daily flights (EK 227/228) serving the Seattle (SEA) – Dubai (DXB) route will be suspended effective June 01, This decision was made as part of our routine operational review, to ensure that our capacity is deployed to best serve customer demand across our global network. We remain committed to Seattle and will continue to serve our customers on this route with 7 weekly flights.

Our daily B777 service on EK 229/230 is not affected.

Passengers that were booked on the above mentioned flights will be automatically rebooked during the next 24 hours on alternate flights. We would like to draw your attention to the following additional rebooking information:

Single-ticket through-fare itineraries which include a domestic US feeder flight:
The domestic US feeder flights have NOT been auto-rebooked and these flights must be re-booked manually. If you are unable to rebook in the original booking class (RBD) on the new US domestic feeder flight, please refer to the booking class table shown in the GDS against the EK fare used and book one of the specified alternatives. If none of these booking classes are available, please book in the lowest available RBD in the original cabin booked that is available for the feeder flight. Only one FOC change shall be permitted per ticket and the re-issued ticket should be endorsed “INVOL REROUTE DUE TO CXNL EK227/228”

Dubai Connect for long transfers in Dubai (STPC):
If the new itinerary has a connecting time in Dubai of more than 8 hours (for Economy class passengers) and more than 6 hours (for Business & First class passengers), a complimentary “Dubai Connect” service will be available for all commercial passengers regardless of paid fare. If your customer would not normally qualify for Dubai Connect, because of the fare paid please send details of their bookings to your local Sales Support office by May 3, 2017 for us to review.

If the new itinerary is not convenient for the passenger, the passenger can be re-routed using JetBlue (B6), Alaska Airlines (AS) or Virgin America (VX) via any Emirates US gateway. For booking classes on AS, B6 and VX please refer to the GDS. Only one FOC change shall be permitted per ticket and the re-issued ticket should be endorsed “INVOL REROUTE DUE TO CXNL EK227/228”. The Emirates portion should be booked in the original RBD. If the original RBD is not available on one of the EK flights, you can re-book the segment in the lowest available RBD in the same cabin.

Fully unused tickets: A full refund may be offered. Please note “INVOL REROUTE DUE TO CXNL CXNL EK227/228" in the ARC report when processing the refund. You must contact Sales Support for a waiver to process.

Partially used tickets: Refund of the residual amount after deducting the applicable one-way fare for the journey completed. In the absence of a OW fare, or where the applicable OW fare is higher than original RT fare collect, use 25% of the original base fare and 50% of YQ as the residual amount due as well as all unused taxes to process the refund. Please note “INVOL REROUTE DUE TO CXNL EK227/228” in the ARC report when processing the refund. You must contact Sales Support for a waiver to process.
Alternatively: The residual/refund amount may be converted into an eMD for future travel on EK valid for one year from DOI. The eMD should be annotated “INVOL REROUTE DUE TO CXNL EK227/228”.

These rebooking conditions are applicable to Emirates commercial passengers who had purchased tickets on or before April 18, 2017 including travel on affected flights EK227/EK228.

Boston BOS (EK239/240)
Emirates can confirm that one of its two daily flights (EK 239/240) serving the Boston (BOS) – Dubai (DXB) route will be suspended effective June 02, 2017. This decision was made as part of our routine operational review, to ensure that our capacity is deployed to best serve customer demand across our global network. We remain committed to Boston and will continue to serve our customers on this route with 7 weekly flights.

Our daily B777 service on EK 237/238 is not affected.

Single-ticket through-fare itineraries which include a domestic US feeder flight:
The domestic US feeder flights have NOT been auto-rebooked and these flights must be re-booked manually. If you are unable to rebook in the original booking class (RBD) on the new US domestic feeder flight, please refer to the booking class table shown in the GDS against the EK fare used and book one of the specified alternatives. If none of these booking classes are available, please book in the lowest available RBD in the original cabin booked that is available for the feeder flight. Only one FOC change shall be permitted per ticket and the re-issued ticket should be endorsed “INVOL REROUTE DUE TO CXNL EK239/240”

If the new itinerary has a connecting time in Dubai of more than 8 hours (for Economy class passengers) and more than 6 hours (for Business & First class passengers), a complimentary “Dubai Connect” service will be available for all commercial passengers regardless of paid fare. If your customer would not normally qualify for Dubai Connect, because of the fare paid please send details of their bookings to your local Sales Support office by May 3, 2017 for us to review.

If the new itinerary is not convenient for the passenger, the passenger can be re-routed using JetBlue (B6), Alaska Airlines (AS) or Virgin America (VX) via any Emirates US gateway. For booking classes on AS, B6 and VX please refer to the GDS. Only one FOC change shall be permitted per ticket and the re-issued ticket should be endorsed “INVOL REROUTE DUE TO CXNL EK239/240”. The Emirates portion should be booked in the original RBD. If the original RBD is not available on one of the EK flights, you can re-book the segment in the lowest available RBD in the same cabin.

Fully unused tickets: A full refund may be offered. Please note “INVOL REROUTE DUE TO CXNL EK239/240" in the ARC report when processing the refund. You must contact Sales Support for a waiver to process.

Partially used tickets: Refund of the residual amount after deducting the applicable one-way fare for the journey completed. In the absence of a OW fare, or where the applicable OW fare is higher than original RT fare collect, use 25% of the original base fare and 50% of YQ as the residual amount due as well as all unused taxes to process the refund. Please note “INVOL REROUTE DUE TO CXNL EK239/240” in the ARC report when processing the refund. You must contact Sales Support for a waiver to process.
Alternatively: The residual/refund amount may be converted into an eMD for future travel on EK valid for one year from DOI. The eMD should be annotated “INVOL REROUTE DUE TO CXNL EK239/240”.

These rebooking conditions are applicable to Emirates commercial passengers who had purchased tickets on or before April 18, 2017 including travel on flights EK239/EK240.

Los Angeles LAX (EK217/218)
Emirates can confirm that one of its two daily flights (EK 217/218) serving the Los Angeles (LAX) – Dubai (DXB) route will be suspended effective July 01, 2017. This decision was made as part of our routine operational review, to ensure that our capacity is deployed to best serve customer demand across our global network. We remain committed to Los Angeles and will continue to serve our customers on this route with 7 weekly flights.

Our daily A380 service on EK 215/216 is not affected.

The domestic US feeder flights have NOT been auto-rebooked and these flights must be re-booked manually. If you are unable to rebook in the original booking class (RBD) on the new US domestic feeder flight, please refer to the booking class table shown in the GDS against the EK fare used and book one of the specified alternatives. If none of these booking classes are available, please book in the lowest available RBD in the original cabin booked that is available for the feeder flight. Only one FOC change shall be permitted per ticket and the re-issued ticket should be endorsed “INVOL REROUTE DUE TO CXNL EK217/218”

If the new itinerary is not convenient for the passenger, the passenger can be re-routed using JetBlue (B6), Alaska Airlines (AS) or Virgin America (VX) via any Emirates US gateway. For booking classes on AS, B6 and VX please refer to the GDS. Only one FOC change shall be permitted per ticket and the re-issued ticket should be endorsed “INVOL REROUTE DUE TO CXNL EK217/218”. The Emirates portion should be booked in the original RBD. If the original RBD is not available on one of the EK flights, you can re-book the segment in the lowest available RBD in the same cabin.

Fully unused tickets: A full refund may be offered. Please note “INVOL REROUTE DUE TO CXNL EK217/218" in the ARC report when processing the refund. You must contact Sales Support for a waiver to process.

Partially used tickets: Refund of the residual amount after deducting the applicable one-way fare for the journey completed. In the absence of a OW fare, or where the applicable OW fare is higher than original RT fare collect, use 25% of the original base fare and 50% of YQ as the residual amount due as well as all unused taxes to process the refund. Please note “INVOL REROUTE DUE TO CXNL EK217/218” in the ARC report when processing the refund. You must contact Sales Support for a waiver to process.

Alternatively: The residual/refund amount may be converted into an eMD for future travel on EK valid for one year from DOI. The eMD should be annotated “INVOL REROUTE DUE TO CXNL EK217/218”.

These rebooking conditions are applicable to Emirates commercial passengers who had purchased tickets on or before April 18, 2017 including travel on flights EK217/EK218.

vadodara

Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:53 pm

Emirates's highly successful experiment to transform Dubai comes crashing down.

What next? Merger with fellow Emirati airline Etihad. Afterall, Etihad has lot more leverage due to Abu Dhabi's oil reserves.

MAH4546

Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:54 pm

Irehdna wrote:
From what I see:
LAX = A380
BOS = A380
SEA = 77W
ORL = 77W
FLL = 77W/L*

BOS is a 77W and accurate that FLL cannot handle more than a 77L.

airzona11

Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:54 pm

Could this also be that connecting traffic rest of the world is down? The US flights are some of their longest (most expensive to operate), might they be using the US as a scapegoat? Any business leader is going to try and lighten the impact of a downturn.

As others have noted, all airlines are slowing their international plans, pairing orders, etc. Competition worldwide and in the the Middle East has greatly increased, so there are more airlines grabbing connecting passenger. In a slow down something has to give.

EK is a very well run airline, one that has grown and grown, every business has down cycles, maybe this is theirs.

AirlineCritic

Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:58 pm

Not a surprise. Protectionism in action, disguised as a security measure... that only applies to airlines that compete with US airlines. I feel sorry for damage. Probably won't stop there. Trade wars are never good, even for the ones who start them.

slcdeltarumd11

Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:00 pm

I think Emirates has just hit a ceiling. They grew in all the easy and under served markets. The US is not easy or undeserved, and alot of foreigners are nervous to fly or connect thru here. It kind of makes sense. They are right sizing, to maximize profits, nothing wrong. They are still gonna make a ton of money, they are smart to adjust.

rbavfan

Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:02 pm

Irehdna wrote:
From what I see:
LAX = A380
BOS = A380
SEA = 77W
ORL = 77W
FLL = 77W/L*

77W cannot do DBX from FLL's runways.

32andBelow

Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:04 pm

Wow a ton of people don't want to visit Dubai? Shocker.

kq747

Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:18 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
Irehdna wrote:
From what I see:
LAX = A380
BOS = A380
SEA = 77W
ORL = 77W
FLL = 77W/L*

BOS is a 77W and accurate that FLL cannot handle more than a 77L.

I think the poster is saying that they see the A380 operating the one daily flight in the near future

bgm

Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:18 pm

32andBelow wrote:

You seriously think the majority of EK's traffic terminates in Dubai? Even bigger shocker.

kq747

Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:20 pm

32andBelow wrote:

Dubai is actually on many top ten visited cities lists. It's not my favorite by any stretch but to each their own.

avi8

Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:22 pm

Reducing BOS, SEA and LAX to one daily will free up quite a few aircraft. I wonder what they will do with the spare capacity. Maybe use it to their advantage to accelerate the retrofit of a new cabin?

kq747

Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:24 pm

bgm wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

You seriously think the majority of EK's traffic terminates in Dubai? Even bigger shocker.

:bigthumbsup:

grbauc

Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:30 pm

northsouthnomad wrote:

The strong dollar and over saturated airline international market mostly are to blame.

grbauc

Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:44 pm

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
I think Emirates has just hit a ceiling. They grew in all the easy and under served markets. The US is not easy or undeserved, and alot of foreigners are nervous to fly or connect thru here. It kind of makes sense. They are right sizing, to maximize profits, nothing wrong. They are still gonna make a ton of money, they are smart to adjust.

This also. Nailed it plus the strong dollar and tons of capacity!!

klm617

Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:57 pm

BOS and SEA were way over served to begin with. You guys act like BOS-DXB is this huge market and can fill an A380 most of those were connection passengers from the JetBlue partnership and if they thought BOS needed the extra capacity they wouldn't have cut one flight so no no A380 to BOS.

lightsaber

Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:58 pm

EK is numbers run. They have been backpedaling on aircraft for what, 15 months? Differals of the A380...

And where has the ramp up in DWC spending gone? It is past due to ramp up construction for 2025...

Could it be low oil has impacted so many EK customers that they feel it?

I can only imagine how bad it is at the non-number run competition. EK will survive and thrive. It is a question of when.

grbauc wrote:
northsouthnomad wrote:

The strong dollar and over saturated airline international market mostly are to blame.

Agreed. There are much bigger forces. I bet the data shows a much longer term decline. Heck, data I saw in a thread here on a.net showed starting in last August wasn't so good.

But the global economy shows signs of growth. We just have an over-sold widebody situation concentrated in the middle East and China.

This too shall pass. We'll go from too many widebodies to too few over say 5 years. But I will not enjoy those 5 years... Sigh...

Lightsaber

SCQ83

Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:17 pm

grbauc wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:

This also. Nailed it plus the strong dollar and tons of capacity!!

Also:

- Billaterals. EK cannot add more capacity to major markets like China, France or Germany. EK is completely blocked for growth in some of the largest markets in the world.

- More non-stop routes. Legacy carriers are eating back part of their cake. Air India to the US is definitely way more competitive than it was 5 years ago. The same can be said for European carriers to Asia that are offering upgraded planes and experiences, prices in similar ranges and more non-stop options.
Last edited by SCQ83 on Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kq747

Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:18 pm

klm617 wrote:
BOS and SEA were way over served to begin with. You guys act like BOS-DXB is this huge market and can fill an A380 most of those were connection passengers from the JetBlue partnership and if they thought BOS needed the extra capacity they wouldn't have cut one flight so no no A380 to BOS.

The load factors for two 77W were definitely lower after the second flight was launched but replacing one 77W with an A380 as the sole flight is only 95Y, 34J, 6F or 135 extra seats vs 354 seats on a second 77W which to me seems perfectly viable.

clrd4t8koff

Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:19 pm

To see FLL (Miami area) get cut so soon after launch is pretty telling about demand to S. Fla from the ME/India/sub-continent. Having EK reduce services to 5x weekly, as well as Turkish not too long ago announced reduced services.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... operation/

Adipocere

Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:36 pm

winginit wrote:

If the US Government really wanted to have an impact wouldn't they simply formally review the Open Skies agreement (which the US3 have been screaming for them to do for years now) as opposed to a laptop ban with questionable impact?

Something cloaked in national security gives them plausible deniability on both sides, especially when the affected countries are nominal US allies. Going after open skies could be seen as an economic sanction.

MAH4546

Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:39 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
To see FLL (Miami area) get cut so soon after launch is pretty telling about demand to S. Fla from the ME/India/sub-continent. Having EK reduce services to 5x weekly, as well as Turkish not too long ago announced reduced services.

You realize what is going in Turkey right? Even Boston saw a cut to only 4w during off-peak winter (MIA-IST peaks in winter).

It's not really surprising that younger, less established routes like FLL and MCO see the cuts. The load factors EK have to Orlando and Lauderdale prove the market is there.

klm617

Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:41 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:

Remember FLL-DXB has a lot to do with the JetBlue connections. Maybe that isn't working out as well as planned.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos