F9Animal
Posts: 3907
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:13 am

Re: ATW says drop UA rebrand as CO

Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:26 pm

Braniff1 wrote:
tpaewr wrote:
This Long winded editorial surprised me . In the end it implies the "United" brand is ruined and the company should return to being "Continental".


As an ex-COn I find this wildly flattering. But I also totally disagree. Yes the united brand is ruined but frankly something new is needed. I don't think Calling ourselves Continental will fix anything.

http://m.atwonline.com/airlines/editori ... fe-support

Maybe we should buy the rights to Pan Am name? Lol


I believe the Pan Am brand has an owner. Regardless, Pan Am was the pinnacle of customer service; something United and Mr. Munoz don't seem to care about. I recently stated, (another tread) that a United attendant told me horror stories of how they treat customer food and drinks; particularly first class customers that appear "too uppity" because they can afford a first class ticket, or a woman was too well dressed, for the female attendants jealous mind. If only, Mr. Trippe and Pan Am could return, Mr. Munoz and is ill-operated company would be out of business. I'll never set foot on a United operated aircraft again.


Now, that would be epic!!! If UA changed to Pan Am, I bet 99.9% Of a.nutters would go crazy. I actually love the idea. It would be awesome if they also took Pan Am to levels of what they were in terms of service. I know, it will never happen, but it sure would be awesome!

Give it time. Another airline will be the next target and meme baby soon enough.
I Am A Different Animal!!
 
User avatar
precure787
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:44 pm

Re: ATW says drop UA rebrand as CO

Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:21 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
I fear this thread will digress into a UA vs CO slugfest (or worse: calls to bring back the tulip), but here we go.. I think calls for things like name changes, or an even more preposterous assertion, an unmerging the two companies, is totally and utterly ridiculous.

Take for example the nightmare MH endured -- not one, but TWO 772s crashed in short succession (the latter of which obviously beyond their control to say the least). While they've had to undergo a major restructuring to become profitable primarily due to issues predating the two disasters, they haven't changed names or even paint schemes. The issues currently at UA pale in comparison, and mostly stem from pent up anger towards the industry as a whole following years of devaluations.

Is this a PR disaster which could cost the company millions, if not billions? Yes. However, people tend to have extremely short-term memories with regards to news cycles. Stories like these fall out of favor extremely quickly, and people will find something else to be outraged with in another two or three weeks. In a couple of months, most people will have forgotten all about this...particularly when it comes to booking a flight and searching for the cheapest fare. People love to get on their high horse when it comes to boycotting companies or entities in these situations. Remember the recent boycotts against Uber or Nordstrom? How about the past boycotts against Chick-fil-A, Jimmy John's, Hobby Lobby, the State of Arizona, etc.? They never stick. People make a statement to their friends on social media to jump on the bandwagon, and then go about their lives unabated. The vast majority of flyers make their decisions based on price, and they won't avoid booking United if they've got the best price.

All of that said, spending potentiality tens of billions to change the airline's name to Continental, not to mention the negative cost to brand recognition since Continental hasn't existed for more than five years, all seems extremely reactionary when the simple passage of time will correct many of their image problems.

I think they definitely have to change their slogan and get to work on a major brand/image overhaul to improve public perception, along with making tangible improvements to customer service, but making rash decisions at this stage will only have negative repercussions.


I do believe that boycotts are short-termed, which means brands will eventually recover. I am a bit skeptical about Continental rebranding, but UA will likely restructure as with MH. UA would use some popular anime series/character (ie, Pretty Cure and Aino Megumi/Cure Lovely) as a promotion to restore UA's image and faith, similarly to how Toyota used Hatsune Miku, a popular Vocaloid character (along with Rin and Len Kagamine), as a promotion for their 2011 Corolla, as well as Lee Minh Ho in the mini-drama "One and Only" to promote the new 2012 Camry.
Edward Zen/Precure 787
 
klwright69
Posts: 2633
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2000 4:22 am

Re: ATW says drop UA rebrand as CO

Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:23 pm

I am a bit saddened by this thread. United of old and Continental of old are long gone. The merger can't be undone. I am shocked by how obsessed some of you are with this subject with so much emotion invested.
 
SFOtoORD
Posts: 599
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:26 am

Re: ATW says drop UA rebrand as CO

Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:02 pm

klwright69 wrote:
I am a bit saddened by this thread. United of old and Continental of old are long gone. The merger can't be undone. I am shocked by how obsessed some of you are with this subject with so much emotion invested.


100% Agree
 
winginit
Posts: 1128
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:23 pm

Re: ATW says drop UA rebrand as CO

Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:10 pm

102IAHexpress wrote:
I've been saying rebrand as Continental since this happened. The negative press in China was the final dagger. The United brand is beyond repair.


We're aware that United's stock is only down 1.45% since the incident correct? and is up 200% in the past five years? Shareholder returns are how the successes of corporations are measured these days. period. Negative press in China means nothing unless it translates into the significant degradation of financial performance in the region, which it likely won't, at least to a degree that spurs material change.

The United brand is experiencing a hiccup, and once this all blows over, which it will to completion when some other aviation incident happens, United will continue to be a large, profitable airline with no need or desire to re-brand.
 
Braniff1
Posts: 78
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:58 pm

Re: ATW says drop UA rebrand as CO

Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:20 pm

klwright69 wrote:
I am a bit saddened by this thread. United of old and Continental of old are long gone. The merger can't be undone. I am shocked by how obsessed some of you are with this subject with so much emotion invested.


I for one am not obsessed with this United fiasco; I am majorly concerned as to the ramifications of the issue. Watching any person in this country beaten and dragged from an American flagged airline is all to reminiscent of what this country was not to become as compared to other countries treatment of their citizens. I grew up after WW-2 proud of what America had achieved, proud of the freedoms afforded our citizenry; what happened with Mr. Munoz's United is nothing short of watching Nazis beating and hauling people off for doing nothing, just being people. Reich Marshall Munoz's thugs are no different than the Nazis.
We as a country, (the people) have lost many civil liberties due to 9-11. Being beaten on an airplane shows how much corporate greed is now more important than customers; customers that pay every cent of the vaunted TSA and Heir Munoz's salary.
Maybe, you sir think this is a one time happening; but I sir, believe such actions should not be happening in The God Damn United States of America. How long before United changes their logo again; no tulip this time, maybe this time a nice big red Swastika would be nice.
Last edited by Braniff1 on Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
Boeing778X
Posts: 3198
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:55 pm

Re: ATW says drop UA rebrand as CO

Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:20 pm

exunited wrote:
Max Q wrote:
Too late to change the name now.

The United name and brand should have been dropped with the merger, Continental had a far better reputation and rightly so, customer service, punctuality,
newer aircraft, you name it we were just a significantly better airline.

UA had been going down hill for years and they were never that great to begin with, just big, like Aeroflot. I never understood the argument for keeping the United name, supposedly it was 'better known'


It certainly was, as a really average or worse operation, without the merger with Cal they would not have survived.


But you can't change the name now, what you need is really good management to fix the problems, many airlines
have done this in the past.



Blah, blah, blah again. So conveniently you once again spout the same lines of untruth. Please respond to this testimony given by the CEO of co about their inability to survive:

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4005674/smisek-congress


You're in denial as usual, Ex.

UA is a shameful excuse for an airline. And if CO management can't fix it, no one can.
UA probably just needs to die or get bought out, but in retrospect, they should have died years ago. How they ever survived Tilton is beyond me.

UA will NEVER be as great as CO in one finger. Sorry, but that's just the way it is.
United Airlines: $#!ttin' On Everyone Since 1931
 
winginit
Posts: 1128
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:23 pm

Re: ATW says drop UA rebrand as CO

Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:32 pm

Boeing778X wrote:
UA is a shameful excuse for an airline. And if CO management can't fix it, no one can.
UA probably just needs to die or get bought out, but in retrospect, they should have died years ago. How they ever survived Tilton is beyond me.
UA will NEVER be as great as CO in one finger. Sorry, but that's just the way it is.


And yet... they continue to be a profitable enterprise who have returned and continue to return considerable wealth to shareholders for the past decade... which is all that matters. Welcome to capitalism.
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 5247
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: ATW says drop UA rebrand as CO

Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:33 pm

exunited wrote:
Max Q wrote:
Too late to change the name now.

The United name and brand should have been dropped with the merger, Continental had a far better reputation and rightly so, customer service, punctuality,
newer aircraft, you name it we were just a significantly better airline.

UA had been going down hill for years and they were never that great to begin with, just big, like Aeroflot. I never understood the argument for keeping the United name, supposedly it was 'better known'


It certainly was, as a really average or worse operation, without the merger with Cal they would not have survived.


But you can't change the name now, what you need is really good management to fix the problems, many airlines
have done this in the past.



Blah, blah, blah again. So conveniently you once again spout the same lines of untruth. Please respond to this testimony given by the CEO of co about their inability to survive:

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4005674/smisek-congress

Had the mergers not happened, any odd man out would have folded, no matter any kind of merger combo. They are lucky there was an even number of airlines to merge with.
"It's not getting to the land of the nonrev that's the problem, it's getting back." ~~Captain Hector Barbossa
The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and don't necessarily reflect those of my employer.
 
SFOtoORD
Posts: 599
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:26 am

Re: ATW says drop UA rebrand as CO

Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:33 pm

Boeing778X wrote:
exunited wrote:
Max Q wrote:
Too late to change the name now.

The United name and brand should have been dropped with the merger, Continental had a far better reputation and rightly so, customer service, punctuality,
newer aircraft, you name it we were just a significantly better airline.

UA had been going down hill for years and they were never that great to begin with, just big, like Aeroflot. I never understood the argument for keeping the United name, supposedly it was 'better known'


It certainly was, as a really average or worse operation, without the merger with Cal they would not have survived.


But you can't change the name now, what you need is really good management to fix the problems, many airlines
have done this in the past.



Blah, blah, blah again. So conveniently you once again spout the same lines of untruth. Please respond to this testimony given by the CEO of co about their inability to survive:

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4005674/smisek-congress


You're in denial as usual, Ex.

UA is a shameful excuse for an airline. And if CO management can't fix it, no one can.
UA probably just needs to die or get bought out, but in retrospect, they should have died years ago. How they ever survived Tilton is beyond me.

UA will NEVER be as great as CO in one finger. Sorry, but that's just the way it is.


You can argue about the past of these airlines, but your argument is absurd at this point. At its best CO was a good airline, but you're talking about them as if Christ himself flew the planes and served every passenger milk and honey. As the years go the delusions grow and you have gotten nonsensical. Let it go. You'll feel better.
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 5247
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: ATW says drop UA rebrand as CO

Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:35 pm

precure787 wrote:
atcsundevil wrote:
I fear this thread will digress into a UA vs CO slugfest (or worse: calls to bring back the tulip), but here we go.. I think calls for things like name changes, or an even more preposterous assertion, an unmerging the two companies, is totally and utterly ridiculous.

Take for example the nightmare MH endured -- not one, but TWO 772s crashed in short succession (the latter of which obviously beyond their control to say the least). While they've had to undergo a major restructuring to become profitable primarily due to issues predating the two disasters, they haven't changed names or even paint schemes. The issues currently at UA pale in comparison, and mostly stem from pent up anger towards the industry as a whole following years of devaluations.

Is this a PR disaster which could cost the company millions, if not billions? Yes. However, people tend to have extremely short-term memories with regards to news cycles. Stories like these fall out of favor extremely quickly, and people will find something else to be outraged with in another two or three weeks. In a couple of months, most people will have forgotten all about this...particularly when it comes to booking a flight and searching for the cheapest fare. People love to get on their high horse when it comes to boycotting companies or entities in these situations. Remember the recent boycotts against Uber or Nordstrom? How about the past boycotts against Chick-fil-A, Jimmy John's, Hobby Lobby, the State of Arizona, etc.? They never stick. People make a statement to their friends on social media to jump on the bandwagon, and then go about their lives unabated. The vast majority of flyers make their decisions based on price, and they won't avoid booking United if they've got the best price.

All of that said, spending potentiality tens of billions to change the airline's name to Continental, not to mention the negative cost to brand recognition since Continental hasn't existed for more than five years, all seems extremely reactionary when the simple passage of time will correct many of their image problems.

I think they definitely have to change their slogan and get to work on a major brand/image overhaul to improve public perception, along with making tangible improvements to customer service, but making rash decisions at this stage will only have negative repercussions.


I do believe that boycotts are short-termed, which means brands will eventually recover. I am a bit skeptical about Continental rebranding, but UA will likely restructure as with MH. UA would use some popular anime series/character (ie, Pretty Cure and Aino Megumi/Cure Lovely) as a promotion to restore UA's image and faith, similarly to how Toyota used Hatsune Miku, a popular Vocaloid character (along with Rin and Len Kagamine), as a promotion for their 2011 Corolla, as well as Lee Minh Ho in the mini-drama "One and Only" to promote the new 2012 Camry.

I'm looking for the Dragon Balls as we speak so wish for a new UA branding.
"It's not getting to the land of the nonrev that's the problem, it's getting back." ~~Captain Hector Barbossa
The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and don't necessarily reflect those of my employer.
 
User avatar
DDR
Posts: 1132
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:09 pm

Re: ATW says drop UA rebrand as CO

Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:39 pm

Good Lord. CO is dead folks. It ain't coming back. United Airlines is an American legacy. It's been around forever and it's not going away.
UA will easily survive the recent bad press. In three months time, no one will be talking about any of the recent issues.
 
User avatar
precure787
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:44 pm

Re: ATW says drop UA rebrand as CO

Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:43 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
precure787 wrote:
atcsundevil wrote:
I fear this thread will digress into a UA vs CO slugfest (or worse: calls to bring back the tulip), but here we go.. I think calls for things like name changes, or an even more preposterous assertion, an unmerging the two companies, is totally and utterly ridiculous.

Take for example the nightmare MH endured -- not one, but TWO 772s crashed in short succession (the latter of which obviously beyond their control to say the least). While they've had to undergo a major restructuring to become profitable primarily due to issues predating the two disasters, they haven't changed names or even paint schemes. The issues currently at UA pale in comparison, and mostly stem from pent up anger towards the industry as a whole following years of devaluations.

Is this a PR disaster which could cost the company millions, if not billions? Yes. However, people tend to have extremely short-term memories with regards to news cycles. Stories like these fall out of favor extremely quickly, and people will find something else to be outraged with in another two or three weeks. In a couple of months, most people will have forgotten all about this...particularly when it comes to booking a flight and searching for the cheapest fare. People love to get on their high horse when it comes to boycotting companies or entities in these situations. Remember the recent boycotts against Uber or Nordstrom? How about the past boycotts against Chick-fil-A, Jimmy John's, Hobby Lobby, the State of Arizona, etc.? They never stick. People make a statement to their friends on social media to jump on the bandwagon, and then go about their lives unabated. The vast majority of flyers make their decisions based on price, and they won't avoid booking United if they've got the best price.

All of that said, spending potentiality tens of billions to change the airline's name to Continental, not to mention the negative cost to brand recognition since Continental hasn't existed for more than five years, all seems extremely reactionary when the simple passage of time will correct many of their image problems.

I think they definitely have to change their slogan and get to work on a major brand/image overhaul to improve public perception, along with making tangible improvements to customer service, but making rash decisions at this stage will only have negative repercussions.


I do believe that boycotts are short-termed, which means brands will eventually recover. I am a bit skeptical about Continental rebranding, but UA will likely restructure as with MH. UA would use some popular anime series/character (ie, Pretty Cure and Aino Megumi/Cure Lovely) as a promotion to restore UA's image and faith, similarly to how Toyota used Hatsune Miku, a popular Vocaloid character (along with Rin and Len Kagamine), as a promotion for their 2011 Corolla, as well as Lee Minh Ho in the mini-drama "One and Only" to promote the new 2012 Camry.

I'm looking for the Dragon Balls as we speak so wish for a new UA branding.

You mean Goku? The guy that defeated Superman?
Edward Zen/Precure 787
 
airzona11
Posts: 766
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:44 am

Re: ATW says drop UA rebrand as CO

Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:55 pm

Does anyone even remember the UA incident that sparked this thread? Millions of people have flown UA since this incident.
 
Max Q
Posts: 5959
Joined: Wed May 09, 2001 12:40 pm

Re: ATW says drop UA rebrand as CO

Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:23 am

Using smisek to make your point completely invalidates it !
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.
 
klwright69
Posts: 2633
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2000 4:22 am

Re: ATW says drop UA rebrand as CO

Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:23 am

No one is downplaying this incident. It is certainly bad for United and the industry was a whole. Who would think otherwise?
But neither the Tulip or the Continental name are returning. The airline of the Tulip ain't around anymore. Neither is Continental. It is what it is. Lots of people here are talking about going back to a different world of the past. It is easy to look at the past with romance and perfection. People here are talking about the 50's or the 90's or the 80's and how nice it was back then. We can't go back. Several people in this thread have even started out with.... "Let me tell you when I was growing up....."

Also someone on this thread talked about how a problem is that seniority in the industry is only valued, and not loyalty and customer service. But when thousands of people are doing similar to jobs, that are very repetitive, it's hard to reward individual employees. Designing a system to do this is another matter as opposed to just saying more than seniority should matter.

UA will recover. This is still news but it's not dominating the news cycle. It's starting to fade.
 
User avatar
seahawk
Posts: 5700
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 1:29 am

Re: ATW says drop UA rebrand as CO

Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:31 am

If they want to improve take a look at jetblue or SouthWest and not some memories from the last century. The airline industry of old is dead. Flying is no longer something special, it is a service people desire to buy as cheap as possible.
 
tpaewr
Topic Author
Posts: 437
Joined: Sat May 19, 2001 9:01 am

Re: ATW says drop UA rebrand as CO

Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:12 am

As expected there is a lot of angst about the merger here and those who urge everyone to move on blah blah.


I have yet to meet meet an insider on either side of the house that preaches such in private. We all do in public.

But there is hope still. There is now 3 tribes. sUA, sCO and post merger. The new kids have no ties to the past and really are the future. They know nothing of Gordan or ESOP. They think the globe is United's logo. This branding connection is shared by my Millennial friends in NYC (which horrifies part of me) the ration part of me knows this is "good".


I remember when I was 19 and first started with CO all tension and drama with the former EA employees. It baffled me, I was sure they were all crazy. All I knew was Continental. I am sure for the new kids at UA it is the same. Part of me envies them. But the rest of me would never trade the amazing time tha was Continental for anything.


It is amazing we are in an industry that invokes such passion.
 
alfa164
Posts: 1939
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:47 am

Re: ATW says drop UA rebrand as CO

Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:21 am

sccutler wrote:
They need to acknowledge greatness where it exists in their heritage, and nothing greater than the true pinnacle of excellence -
Rebrand as Texas International Airlines!

Why not go back all the way: TTA! Trans-Texas Airlines! Locally remembered as "Tree-Top Airlines".

On the other hand, if they did bring back CO, the new-but-somewhat-nostalgic slogan could be "We really move your tail for you"... ;)
 
alfa164
Posts: 1939
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:47 am

Re: ATW says drop UA rebrand as CO

Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:26 am

precure787 wrote:
I do believe that boycotts are short-termed, which means brands will eventually recover. I am a bit skeptical about Continental rebranding, but UA will likely restructure as with MH. UA would use some popular anime series/character (ie, Pretty Cure and Aino Megumi/Cure Lovely) as a promotion to restore UA's image and faith, similarly to how Toyota used Hatsune Miku, a popular Vocaloid character (along with Rin and Len Kagamine), as a promotion for their 2011 Corolla, as well as Lee Minh Ho in the mini-drama "One and Only" to promote the new 2012 Camry.


I would suggest just the opposite: a return to the "Rhapsody in Blue" theme, emphasizing class and seriousness. That is the one campaign that defined UA, and the one campaign that could bring back its image as a serious, sophisticated contender in the industry.
 
Squeezix
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:10 am

Re: ATW says drop UA rebrand as CO

Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:34 am

precure787 wrote:
UA would use some popular anime series/character (ie, Pretty Cure and Aino Megumi/Cure Lovely) as a promotion to restore UA's image and faith, similarly to how Toyota used Hatsune Miku, a popular Vocaloid character (along with Rin and Len Kagamine), as a promotion for their 2011 Corolla, as well as Lee Minh Ho in the mini-drama "One and Only" to promote the new 2012 Camry.


What the hell you smokin'?
 
User avatar
seahawk
Posts: 5700
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 1:29 am

Re: ATW says drop UA rebrand as CO

Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:56 am

Rebranding to a previous cooperate image will do nothing. No customer really remembers airline brands from 20 years ago, many do not even care about the livery design.

UA first needs to work out the issues, because a rebrand without improving the product is not going to help.
 
rta
Posts: 1390
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:01 am

Re: ATW says drop UA rebrand as CO

Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:22 am

The name "United Airlines" has a lot of history and I don't think it should go. I'm not a big fan of the current livery but I don't think most people will care about that - half of the memes from the past week still have the tulip.

The best course of action is to ride it out. They'll still take heat for recent events whether they rename, rebrand, or leave it the same.
 
UAL777UK
Posts: 2242
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:16 am

Re: ATW says drop UA rebrand as CO

Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:31 am

Squeezix wrote:
precure787 wrote:
UA would use some popular anime series/character (ie, Pretty Cure and Aino Megumi/Cure Lovely) as a promotion to restore UA's image and faith, similarly to how Toyota used Hatsune Miku, a popular Vocaloid character (along with Rin and Len Kagamine), as a promotion for their 2011 Corolla, as well as Lee Minh Ho in the mini-drama "One and Only" to promote the new 2012 Camry.


What the hell you smokin'?


:rotfl:

Time to move on folks, The United name aint going anywhere.
 
ckfred
Posts: 4943
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2001 12:50 pm

Re: ATW says drop UA rebrand as CO

Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:31 pm

SFOtoORD wrote:
ckfred wrote:
Pundits on various news shows, especially the financial news shows, say that people will still fly an airline based on a combination of schedule and price. Service tends to be very low on the list of criteria for selecting an airline.

What may be of concern to UA is the matter of corporate contracts. If you remember the summer of 2000, it was one of the stormiest in Chicago. Couple that with the pilots staging a sick-out, and UA operations were a disaster, especially at the ORD hub. AA picked up a number of corporate contracts within the next few years, particularly in the Midwest, because the people who make corporate flying decisions were hearing complaints about not being able to get from A to B and back.

My wife made it known to someone at her employer that UA is inconsistent with carry-ons. She had no trouble carrying a rollerboard onto a 739, flying ORD-EWR. But, at EWR for the return, on a 739, that gate agent told her, point blank, that she had to check her bag. And she got charged for it, which went on the expense account.

When you see the number of issues that wind up on videos and in newspapers/TV, along with employees complaining to those who get the corporate contracts, UA could be seeing some business go to AA, DL, or WN.

What is also an issue is the fact that ORD's security force has some problems that aren't being addressed in a timely manner. That will be another problem for Mayor Rahm Emmanuel.


What part of your post would be fixed solely by rebranding the company? It's not like your wife would suddenly forget which airline she was on when she had a baggage issue. Or that her company would forget.


That's my point. Rebranding won't fix things.
 
klwright69
Posts: 2633
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2000 4:22 am

Re: ATW says drop UA rebrand as CO

Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:10 pm

Remember this forum is not the traveling public. The road warriors are also in a different class. Then there are people that still think NW, CO, USAir, America West are still in business. A couple years ago I met a friend that I don't see very often. She is a savy traveler. She didn't know CO was now UA. The fact the a lot of memes are still using the Tulip doesn't mean much. I am amazed this means anything to some of you. That means people that don't know much are reaching for old stock photos. It doesn't mean the Tulip was somehow glorious. Or people just don't care.

Remember in the USA a lot of people hate Obamacare. Everyone in the USA hates Obamacare. But most people love the Affordable Care Act. In reality, you should all know they are still the same. People hate Obamacare but love the law's provisions. People won't fly UA for the rest of their lives? I say yeah right. People don't know UA has a new logo. Some of you are surprised?

Could you imagine if UA had rebranded yet again in these last couple years and ditched the globe, only to have this happen? Should companies rebrand after every incident or accident?

Any suggestion to go back to the CO name is just comedy and click bait.
 
User avatar
OA412
Moderator
Posts: 4273
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2000 6:22 am

Re: ATW says drop UA rebrand as CO

Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:33 pm

airzona11 wrote:
Does anyone even remember the UA incident that sparked this thread? Millions of people have flown UA since this incident.

You mean paying passengers being boarded, then told they needed volunteers to leave the aircraft so that employees could fly to SDF, resulting in one passenger refusing and being dragged off bloodied by police? Yeah people remember.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West
 
ckfred
Posts: 4943
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2001 12:50 pm

Re: ATW says drop UA rebrand as CO

Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:05 pm

I saw someone, probably on CNBC, say that people thought the accelerator problem with Toyota and Lexus models would tarnish those brands for many years. Yet, Toyota sales in the U.S. and globally are still very strong. Despite the problems with their diesel engines, VW and its brands are still selling a lot of cars with gasoline engines.

United's brand is not tarnished beyond repair. A lot of people will still fly United, simply because it has the lowest fare and/or most convenient flight time. Or, you simply need to get from A to B, and AA, DL, WN, and B6 are booked solid.

That said, UA does need to undertake a lot of damage control, and fast. A plan not just to avoid future problems with removing a passenger from an oversold flight, to to improve the experience, from the moment a passenger walks into the terminal, until he walks out of the terminal after the flight, needs to be completed and put into an advertising campaign.

My wife hasn't flown for business in about 18 months, but she still hears from co-workers about the travel experience on UA being so uneven, whether it's being able to carry on a rollerboard on one flight, but not the next flight, or the fact that the wait at the baggage carousel at one airport can be much longer than at another airport, or that some F/As are friendly and helpful, while others are simply rude.
 
airzona11
Posts: 766
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:44 am

Re: ATW says drop UA rebrand as CO

Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:29 pm

OA412 wrote:
airzona11 wrote:
Does anyone even remember the UA incident that sparked this thread? Millions of people have flown UA since this incident.

You mean paying passengers being boarded, then told they needed volunteers to leave the aircraft so that employees could fly to SDF, resulting in one passenger refusing and being dragged off bloodied by police? Yeah people remember.


But there isn't at least a short term noticeable drop in bookings, millions of people have done so since it happens.

Has United started charging more? Nope, there goes how the majority of travelers choose.
Has United devalued their MileagePlus? Nope, ok that means all the people locked in with the rewards programs arent going there in significant numbers
Has United stopped flying the routes they fly or changed their schedules? Nope, that is how the majority of the premium/business travelers choose to fly.

And come on now, you don't actually think brands, which take millions of dollars, and many many years to develop will be taken down by 1 social media debacle that has already fizzled from the front page. And you're going to tell me replacing the brand of UA to CO (which was a weaker brand, if it was stronger, they would have been named CO today) is going to be better? How much would a rebrand cost? What is the ROI? Decades?

Again, if a year from now UA has 75% load factors when the rest have 90%, there is something. Until such time, sensationalist threads like this are hypothetical and as rooted in reality as social media is real life.
 
Max Q
Posts: 5959
Joined: Wed May 09, 2001 12:40 pm

Re: ATW says drop UA rebrand as CO

Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:42 am

UA was chosen for the name of the merged airline as that was one of the conditions for smisek to become CEO, along with moving headquarters
to Chicago.


Continental had a significantly better name and for good reason.
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.
 
klwright69
Posts: 2633
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2000 4:22 am

Re: ATW says drop UA rebrand as CO

Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:53 am

Again, MH is still around despite their experience with multiple catastrophes that can't compare to this fiasco.

But I am already seeing more news stories about people getting bumped and their problems, stories that would never make the news before.

This has an effect on more than just UA. You are all only focused on UA. All airlines are under the microscope.

The media sees more potential in publishing airline problems and dramas.
 
User avatar
exunited
Posts: 219
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:48 pm

Re: ATW says drop UA rebrand as CO

Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:15 pm

Max Q wrote:
Using smisek to make your point completely invalidates it !



Thank you for your well thought out and eloquent retort. It seems when faced with facts and evidence, you decline to admit you are 100% wrong. And don't forget smisek was recruited by your god like bethune who also repeatedly backed him on tv after each misstep. Failure after failure.
 
ASQ400
Posts: 342
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:21 am

Re: ATW says drop UA rebrand as CO

Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:22 pm

The only way for UA to not have bad press is to not be an airline.
People love to hate on that whole industry.
TLV, BRU, ZRH, CDG, FRA, EWR, JFK, DEN, SFO, AUS, RNO, SEA, YYC, YYZ, IAH, ATL, IAD, DCA, ORD, SJC, SNA
 
Beatyair
Posts: 766
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:09 pm

Re: ATW says drop UA rebrand as CO

Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:36 pm

seahawk wrote:
I doubt the brand is really damaged. this is a social media storm that will blow over quickly.


The problem is that they had a bad rep. and the the have one storm after another.
They need to get things sorted out, take a breath, and customer service at all costs.
I think they can get things figured out but they need time to review policies that put the paying public first and they need buy in from all their employees. There is no United Airlines without passengers and the other airlines would be happy to take them.
 
Beatyair
Posts: 766
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:09 pm

Re: ATW says drop UA rebrand as CO

Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:38 pm

seahawk wrote:
I doubt the brand is really damaged. this is a social media storm that will blow over quickly.


The problem is that they had a bad rep. and the the have one storm after another.
They need to get things sorted out, take a breath, and customer service at all costs.
I think they can get things figured out but they need time to review policies that put the paying public first and they need buy in from all their employees. There is no United Airlines without passengers and the other airlines would be happy to take them.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos