Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Luisvalero
Topic Author

RAM possible New routes?

Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:59 am

Hi

I'm wondering which are going to be next RAM destinations, any idea?

I can see as possible New destinations:

US: MIA, ORD
France: RNS, LIL, ETZ
Luxembourg: LUX
Austria: VIE
Germany: DUS, HAM
Czech Republic: PRG
Greece: ATH
South Africa: JNB
Tanzania: DAR
Jordan: AMM
Kuwait: KWI
India: DEL
China: PEK, PVG

SA744

Re: RAM possible New routes?

Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:21 am

They used to fly to JNB lates 90's if im not mistaken not sure if they will start it up again.

Luisvalero
Topic Author

Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:29 am

SA744 wrote:
They used to fly to JNB lates 90's if im not mistaken not sure if they will start it up again.

CMN-JNB would be a great addition for connections, such as LGW, LIS, BCN, BRU, GVA, TXL etc

Cointrin330

Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:43 am

Doubtful RAM will expand further in the US until the laptop ban is lifted and the Trump Administration stops treating these countries like pariahs.

DexSwart

Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:55 am

Cointrin330 wrote:
Doubtful RAM will expand further in the US until the laptop ban is lifted and the Trump Administration stops treating these countries like pariahs.

Morocco isn affected by the electronics ban, and Morocco seemingly is excluded from ME issues causing them to be treated like pariahas.

Probably because it's not a Middle Eastern country, though...

rukundo

Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:20 am

Some of these cities are located at about 1h-1h30 by drive, from a city already served by Royal Air Maroc or which have many flights to Morocco. I don't think, that for RAM, that Lille, Rennes & Metz are top priority.

Rennes is "close" to Nantes, which already served by RAM and has also lots of flights to Morocco. Lille is "close" to Charleroi, which has many flights to Morocco, with Tui and Ryanair. Metz is "close" to Strasbourg, which is served by RAM.

About Luxembourg, to go to Frankfurt or Strasbourg, it will takes you at least 2h30, by road. Luxair is already providing several flights to Morocco

Only in south West and East of France, you can see RAM serving destinations (often in competition with Air Arabia Maroc, Transavia France, or Ryanair) close to one of the other (Bordeaux, Toulouse, Montpellier, Marseille & Nice). There is a huge Moroccan diaspora, links between these cities and Morocco are very old and lots of retired pple living in South of France, have a secondary home in Morocco.

South Africa: JNB
Tanzania: DAR

RAM has served Johannesburg, in the past. They ceased flights in 2002, after South Africa reconized Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic. When RAM has added first Dreamliner, some people said that RAM could resume Johannesburg service. About Dar Es Salaam, it's also in project, like for Kigali. King of Morocco visited Rwanda (Morocco has just opened an embassy) & Tanzania, last year, and days ago a Moroccan trade mission visited Rwanda, Tanzania and Madagascar. It seems that they are doing well at Nairobi, they will add a 3th weekly flight.

Morocco is now back to African Union (Rwanda played a huge role), so i think, RAM will add new routes in Africa, but they need more aircraft.

Jordan: AMM
Kuwait: KWI

With the JV with Qatar Airways, i don't think that Royal Air Maroc will add new destinations in Middle East. If you see airlines from Maghreb (Air Algérie, Tunis Air and RAM), they don't have a huge network, in this region, if we compare to Egyptair

India: DEL
China: PEK, PVG

Route to China is in project since some years, about India, i don't think, that the trafifc is huge, and from West Africa, Air France, Brussels Airlines, Turkish Airlines, Emirates, Kenya Airways, Ethiopian, RwandAir, Lufthansa, KLM, Ethiad, Egyptair are already providing services to India, via their hubs

Austria: VIE
Germany: DUS, HAM
Czech Republic: PRG

Why not, since some years, some african airlines are trying to expand into Central and East Europe (Russia, Hungary,...). There are lots Moroccans students in East Europe and you can find lots of charter flights from East Europe, to some parts of Africa, mainly West, North and East Africa

US: MIA, ORD

I heard they are interested, to serve Dallas. With the JV with Qatar Airways and the possibilty to join Oneworld, Dallas (American Airlines hub) could be a good destination for them. With the East Coast, Texas hosts an important African Diaspora

euroflyer

Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:50 am

DexSwart wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:

Morocco isn affected by the electronics ban, and Morocco seemingly is excluded from ME issues causing them to be treated like pariahas.

Morocco (like Egypt) is actually affected by the US ban but however not listed in the UK ban (unlike Tunisia for instance).

euroflyer

Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:07 am

rukundo wrote:

Lille is "close" to Charleroi, which has many flights to Morocco, with Tui and Ryanair. Metz is "close" to Strasbourg, which is served by RAM.

IMO, LIL is a great gap in AT network. There is a huge moroccan diaspora in the Lille area, and they cannot fly RAM unless getting to CDG or BRU. I think they decided not to go compete with LCC which already widely connect Morocco with CRL and BVA (despite the 1h30/ 2h drive, and the luggage allowances).

adamh8297

Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:30 am

Does AT get any USA-CMN-Europe traffic? Its not a super crazy detour to do something like JFK-CMN-NCE. People have done worse. I'm not saying it would be my first choice either.

SCQ83

Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:59 am

I think SCQ in a few years could work with a small plane. They have recently started BIO and OPO, so for a next stage SCQ is the largest airport in the area with no RAM.

SVQ is definitely a major gap, even if they serve nearby AGP.

adamh8297 wrote:
Does AT get any USA-CMN-Europe traffic? Its not a super crazy detour to do something like JFK-CMN-NCE. People have done worse. I'm not saying it would be my first choice either.

Yes, also to Brazil. I wouldn't be surprised that with OPO they would try to tap into the OPO-Brazil market, and of course OPO-Luanda.

euroflyer wrote:
IMO, LIL is a great gap in AT network. There is a huge moroccan diaspora in the Lille area, and they cannot fly RAM unless getting to CDG or BRU. I think they decided not to go compete with LCC which already widely connect Morocco with CRL and BVA (despite the 1h30/ 2h drive, and the luggage allowances).

I have the impression RAM to CMN tries to capture connecting traffic and "premium" Moroccan traffic to and from Europe (e.g. well-off Moroccans studying or working in Paris). For VFR probably a lot of people come from poorer cities (so other airports are more convenient), and a "legacy" connection (RAM) might be more expensive and complicated than a cheap Ryanair/TUI flight.

Also in the case of Spain, Subsaharan population is growing very fast, so obviously RAM has there a market opportunity, since they will able to do very odd connections (e.g. Bilbao-CMN-Kinshasa, Valencia-CMN-Yaoundé, or whatever combination).

Luisvalero
Topic Author

Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:18 pm

adamh8297 wrote:

Absolutely. One of the reasons RAM has been so succesful in USA&Canada it's because of Morocco's good location, allowing connections through CMN to Europe, Africa & Middle East. RAM's main target in USA is to capt passengers to Africa, but Also is willing to capt passengers to Europe, like any other European Airline

Luisvalero
Topic Author

Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:58 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
SVQ is definitely a major gap, even if they serve nearby AGP

You're Wrong. SVQ and AGP are completely different markets. Sevilla doesn't have enough demand to have a direct flight to CMN. Yes, it's the 4 City of Spain, but it doesn't have any demand for routes to Africa. Sub Saharian diaspora is almost 0 in Sevilla. SVQ's demand to Morocco is more leisure focused, and this demand is well covered thanks to Ryanair with it's service to Marrakech and Fes. In the case of Moroccans living in Sevilla, they're looking for the cheapest option to return to Morocco on Holidays, and They drive 1h to Algeciras and then they take the Ferry to Tangier. On the other hand, AGP, VLC, and BIO's passengers are a mixture of leisure/business/diaspora, so RAM in this markets is able to catch passengers to feed it's hub in CMN to it's african destinations, and even JFK. Main african connections from these cities are DKR, BJL and BKO due to large senegalese, gambian and Malian population settled in Spain. Spain/France/Belgium traffic to DKR is huge, so that's one of the reasons why RAM has 3 Daily flights to DKR.
Last edited by Luisvalero on Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MalevTU134

Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:13 pm

Cointrin330 wrote:

...or they could pay a baksheesh. That trumps all...

CXA330300

Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:25 pm

There's been a lot of talk in the South African press about JNB recently. Morocco is also increasingly popular as a travel destination from South Africa.

I could see HBE working out on a twice-weekly basis.

Luisvalero
Topic Author

Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:34 pm

rukundo wrote:
With the JV with Qatar Airways, i don't think that Royal Air Maroc will add new destinations in Middle East. If you see airlines from Maghreb (Air Algérie, Tunis Air and RAM), they don't have a huge network, in this region, if we compare to Egyptair

RAM flies to BEY, RUH, JED & DOH. AH flies to BEY & JED. Seems that BEY has strong links to Maghreb, Maybe because Lebanon was a former french colony as well.

Luisvalero
Topic Author

Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:54 pm

euroflyer wrote:
rukundo wrote:

Lille is "close" to Charleroi, which has many flights to Morocco, with Tui and Ryanair. Metz is "close" to Strasbourg, which is served by RAM.

Lille's region, Hauts de France, is home to 400.000 Maghrebies, which is more than enough to be Able to sustain a Daily flight to CMN. Air algerie flies to Lille

User001

Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:14 pm

What about Dublin? Air Arabia have just announced AGA-DUB and not much from DUB to North Africa, so, could tap into connections from CMN?

Luisvalero
Topic Author

Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:21 pm

User001 wrote:
What about Dublin? Air Arabia have just announced AGA-DUB and not much from DUB to North Africa, so, could tap into connections from CMN?

I have my doubts... but who knows. A 3 Weekly CMN-DUB B737-700 service can work good if it's timed to connect to Marrakech & Agadir flights

cf105arrow

Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:37 am

Luisvalero wrote:
rukundo wrote:

RAM flies to BEY, RUH, JED & DOH. AH flies to BEY & JED. Seems that BEY has strong links to Maghreb, Maybe because Lebanon was a former french colony as well.

Traffic from Lebanon has more to do with Lebanese expat traders in western Africa connecting through CMN

Taco2sDay

Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:47 am

Dallas? That's a curve ball. MIA or ORD seem to make more sense for AA connections.

Cointrin330

Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:03 am

euroflyer wrote:
DexSwart wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:

Morocco (like Egypt) is actually affected by the US ban but however not listed in the UK ban (unlike Tunisia for instance).

Morocco is on the list of countries whose direct, nonstop flights into the USA require passengers to store laptops in checked baggage. RAM flies from Casablanca to JFK and IAD.

User001

Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:22 am

Luisvalero wrote:
User001 wrote:

I have my doubts... but who knows. A 3 Weekly CMN-DUB B737-700 service can work good if it's timed to connect to Marrakech & Agadir flights

Well, Dublin has a similar passenger demographic to Manchester and RAM have just launched a 3 weekly CMN-MAN on the B737-800 in March, with seats already selling well, most loads in the 120+ bracket. Therefore Dublin doesn't sound that far fetched.

rukundo

Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:39 am

euroflyer wrote:

You have TGV from Lille to Paris CDG (1h15). Since some years, more and more airlines have signed partnership with Rail companies (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air-rail_alliance). In France it's Voyage SNCF or called TGV Air. They can sell tickets for airlines and they can provide you good connecting at Paris CDG or Brussels Airport.

In November 2016, Royal Air Maroc started talks with TGV Air (French): http://www.deplacementspros.com/La-RAM- ... 40659.html

There are lots of Lebanese in West Africa, in 1990s, MEA dropped some routes in the region. They now serve only Abidjan, Accra and Lagos, in West African so i guess that Air Algérie, Tunisair and Royal Air Maroc tap into the market

Lille's region, Hauts de France, is home to 400.000 Maghrebies, which is more than enough to be Able to sustain a Daily flight to CMN. Air algerie flies to Lille

In deed, but if you see in France. Air Algérie doesn't fly to Strasbourg ( they serve Metz) & Nantes. Tunisair doesn't fly to Montpellier and Lille. Air Arabia Maroc doesn't serve Marseille, Nice, Nantes and Lille. All these cities is home to an important community, from Maghreb countries. Transavia operates only flights to Morocco, from Lyon & Nantes. Tassili serves only Strasbourg, Nantes and Marseille.

There are many others cases (Ryanair, Air France, TUI Belgium,...). I exclude Paris

They are all linked to Maghreb, but they are different airlines that operate flights, there are probably many reasons.

About Ireland-Morocco service, i think that Aer Lingus has served Agadir, in the past.

Luisvalero
Topic Author

Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:52 am

rukundo wrote:
Rennes is "close" to Nantes, which already served by RAM and has also lots of flights to Morocco. Lille is "close" to Charleroi, which has many flights to Morocco, with Tui and Ryanair. Metz is "close" to Strasbourg, which is served by RAM

I've done some research... Here is a list with all airports in France which have a direct flight to Morocco

1.Paris-Orly: Agadir, Casablanca, Essaouira, Fes, Marrakech, Nador, Ouarzazate, Oujda, Rabat, Tangier
2.Paris-CDG: Casablanca, Fes, Marrakech, Rabat, Tangier
3.Nice: Casablanca, Marrakech
4.Lyon: Agadir, Casablanca, Fes, Marrakech, Oujda
5.Marseille: Agadir, Casablanca, Essaouira, Fes, Marrakech, Nador, Oujda, Rabat, Tangier
6.Toulouse: Agadir, Casablanca, Fes, Marrakech
7.Basel/Mulhouse: Agadir, Casablanca, Marrakech
8.Bordeaux: Agadir, Casablanca, Fes, Marrakech
9.Nantes: Agadir, Casablanca, Fes, Marrakech
10.Beauvais: Fes, Marrakech, Nador, Oujda, Rabat, Tangier
11.Lille: NO
12.Montpellier: Casablanca, Marrakesh, Fes, Nador, Tangier
13.Strasbourg: Fes, Marrakech
14.Rennes: NO
15.Pau: Marrakech
16.Perpignan: Marrakech
17.Metz/Nancy: Casablanca, Marrakech
18.Nîmes: Fes, Marrakech
19.Tours: Marrakech
20.Saint-Etienne: Fes
21.Dole-Jura: Fes, Marrakech

With this data, We can see that Lille and Rennes, which are big cities with strong moroccan population (Mainly Lille) doesn't even have a flight to Marrakech. I Think RAM should take advantage of The situation launching flights from this two cities to CMN. I know that Lille is located between Charleroi and Beauvais, but it really needs a flight to Morocco, and the same happens with Rennes, which is close to Nantes.

The distance between Lille and Beauvais Airport: 194Km
The distance between Lille and Charleroi Airport: 120Km
The distance between Rennes and Nantes Airport: 113Km

TheGeordielad

Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:54 pm

Toronto could be a good one.

Luisvalero
Topic Author

Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:04 pm

TheGeordielad wrote:
Toronto could be a good one.

I don't Think so. The demand to Morocco/Algeria/Tunis + West Africa is from YUL not YYZ. Maghreb Airlines (RAM, Air Algerie and Tunisair) all fly to YUL not YYZ. YYZ has Egyptair and Ethiopian Airlines, which I Think are focused to catch Canada-East Africa + South Africa Market, and Egyptair Also focuses on Canada-UAE. I don't Think Canada-West Africa is a Huge market, Maybe just some passengers to ACC or LOS

Luisvalero
Topic Author

Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:16 pm

User001 wrote:
Luisvalero wrote:
User001 wrote:

Well, Dublin has a similar passenger demographic to Manchester and RAM have just launched a 3 weekly CMN-MAN on the B737-800 in March, with seats already selling well, most loads in the 120+ bracket. Therefore Dublin doesn't sound that far fetched.

Quite different Market.. Manchester has a larger catchment area, next to big cities such as Liverpool. RAM saw Manchester as a posibility to connect that part of england to Marrakech, Agadir + ACC, LOS, ABV. Lot of nigerians and ghanian people live in this area. On the other side DUB is just leisure, it can work Maybe, but RAM saw MAN as a bigger market

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos