Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

enilria
Topic Author

United CEO Met w/Chinese Officials to Apologize

Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:57 pm

I think the refusal to comment on booking impact is a smokescreen. I don't see how it is possible bookings were not negatively affected.

The head of United Airlines met with the Chinese consulate in Chicago over the possible impact to bookings from a customer being dragged off a plane but it was too early to tell if business in China had been hit by the event, the company said.

Dao accused officials of discriminating against him for being Chinese before he was hauled off the plane, according to a fellow passenger. Social media users across the United States, Vietnam and China called for a boycott of the airline over the incident.

United has about 20 percent of total U.S.-China traffic and a partnership with Air China<601111.SS><0753.HK>, the country's third-largest airline, according to analysts.

"It's really too early for us to tell anything about bookings, and in particular last week because it's the week before Easter. That's normally a very low booking period," United President Scott Kirby said on the call.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/united-ch ... 05132.html

LAXintl

Re: United CEO Met w/Chinese Officials to Apologize

Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:06 pm

The meeting was last week when things were hot and heavy and before all facts were out. Its since come out the dear Dr. was Vietnamese, not exactly the most friendly nationality to China.

Also as pointed out yesterday by analyst, the UA China network accounts for ~3% of revenues, with a very heavy component of US point of sale. Their take was "booking haven’t been materially impacted by this event"

enilria
Topic Author

Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:10 pm

LAXintl wrote:
The meeting was last week when things were hot and heavy and before all facts were out. Its since come out the dear Dr. was Vietnamese, not exactly the most friendly nationality to China.

Also as pointed out yesterday by analyst, the UA China network accounts for ~3% of revenues, with a very heavy component of US point of sale. Their take was "booking haven’t been materially impacted by this event"

I probably should have commented on the fact he was Vietnamese. Kind of racist for UA to just assume he was Chinese it seems to me.

commavia

Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:13 pm

enilria wrote:
Kind of racist for UA to just assume he was Chinese it seems to me.

What evidence is there that United "assume[d] he was Chinese?"

It seems to me that the reason the CEO of United met with the Chinese consulate was because of the social media firestorm over the incident that was particularly prominent in China specifically, and because of the importance of the Chinese market specifically to United.

Cubsrule

Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:15 pm

enilria wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

I probably should have commented on the fact he was Vietnamese. Kind of racist for UA to just assume he was Chinese it seems to me.

I think it was the Chinese who asserted he was Chinese in state media, but perhaps I missed something last week.

QueenoftheSkies

Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:27 pm

commavia wrote:
enilria wrote:
Kind of racist for UA to just assume he was Chinese it seems to me.

What evidence is there that United "assume[d] he was Chinese?"

It seems to me that the reason the CEO of United met with the Chinese consulate was because of the social media firestorm over the incident that was particularly prominent in China specifically, and because of the importance of the Chinese market specifically to United.

But why only China? Why not Japan, South Korea, and other prominent Asian markets? Obvious there was an assumption made.

enilria
Topic Author

Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:29 pm

enilria wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

How about somebody assumed he was Chinese and UA apologized to the Chinese as a result. Still pretty embarrassing...

berari

Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:31 pm

UA China network may only be 3%, but you still have a large number of Chinese-[Americans|Canadians|Europeans] that use UA for non-China bound services and some of their Business could be lost if there were a Chinese boycott.

commavia

Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:48 pm

QueenoftheSkies wrote:
But why only China? Why not Japan, South Korea, and other prominent Asian markets? Obvious there was an assumption made.

Because China is the place where, apparently, the social media reaction was the most prominent. It seems to me that the "assumption" made was that since Chinese social media was responding so actively to the incident, and since China is a strategically and financially important market for United, it was worthwhile to take action. It seems like quite a stretch to suggest that there was something sinister, let alone "racist," involved.

SFOtoORD

Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:54 pm

enilria wrote:
enilria wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

How about somebody assumed he was Chinese and UA apologized to the Chinese as a result. Still pretty embarrassing...

How about you didn't do any research and made up a racism claim instead? This story took China by storm and was shared on Chinese social media by storm. That's something the CEO of United would want to address and not because you say he's a racist

https://www.ft.com/content/12f87b1a-89d ... 879dd1d625

NeBaNi

Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:33 am

I agree the doctor being Chinese was reported falsely, but when you have a PR shitstorm on your hands, you try to make it right. I'm not saying that CEO Muñoz apologized to give legs to the idea that doctor was Chinese, but when a portion of your customer base is in a frenzy, you do all you can to calm them down, whether you are right or wrong.

Also, although only 3% of their revenue base may be from China, but that fails to include the Chinese and Chinese-Americans who fly with United all over the globe. So United may draw a higher share of its revenue from Chinese sources or from sources with ties to China.

adambrau

Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:52 am

Dr Dao is a Vietnamese-American but he mentioned in one of the videos that he was discriminated because he was Chinese. Many countries in SE Asia have Chinese minorities by ancestry but they may not hold Chinese nationality. Philippines, Indonesia, Singapore, Vietnam etc. China considers anyone who is of Chinese descent to be Chinese, but technically they may not be so on paper/passport. As a result, even though racism has not been determined to be a factor, it is wise for United Airlines to apologize to all customers, worldwide.

Adam
Last edited by adambrau on Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

winginit

Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:05 am

So is it a correct assertion that the Chinese media initially wrongly reported that Mr. Dao was Chinese, which stirred up the Chinese social media response, which then died down when the reporting was corrected and it came out that Mr. Dao was in fact Vietnamese? I'm honestly just curious not trying to stir the pot.

Ziyulu

Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:16 am

UA should be thankful that Facebook and Twitter are blocked in China or else...

SFOtoORD

Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:19 am

Ziyulu wrote:
UA should be thankful that Facebook and Twitter are blocked in China or else...

As many as 100M shares on Weibo isn't trivial.
Last edited by SFOtoORD on Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

grbauc

Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:29 am

enilria wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

Racist really? maybe short sighted or poor judgment in assumption. IF they did call him Chinese. The racism word is so quickly labeled in society today. I hardly think UA is showing racism towards the Dr.

etoile

Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:20 am

LAXintl wrote:

A person can be Vietnamese and Chinese, like a French-Canadian or Chinese-Jamaican or Thai-Australian.

RWA380

Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:41 am

etoile wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

A person can be Vietnamese and Chinese, like a French-Canadian or Chinese-Jamaican or Thai-Australian.

Exactly, as jasonbrau pointed out, he can be of Chinese lineage & blood, but may be a national from Vietnam.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos