Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

isp2
Topic Author

Social Media and impact on airline industry

Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:15 am

Being a part of this forum for a long time, I think it is safe to assume that many folks that read these boards either work in the airline industry, travel a lot as consumers, or are simply airline junkies.

The "industry folks" know that the United situation has been overblown; unfortunately the majority of the world doesn't understand that and reacts with rage just by seeing a video.

I watched Don Lemmon on CNN Tuesday night saying how he could not understand the concept of "removing paying customers for United employees." CNN has multiple "Aviation Experts" and you'd think someone would earn their money and explain that if a deadheading Crew of 4 doesn't get on a flight, it would inconvienence 50 more customers the next day with a cancelation.

The video was bad but where is the outrage for the Chicago O'Hare Police for letting it get that out of hand? There are numerous instances when people actually do board flights and then have to be removed. Deadheading crews show up at the last minute - as well as FAMS. This happens ALL THE TIME. Equal blame should be shared for both the police response, and also United for not increasing monetary value for bump compensation once all customers were boarded. This is not just on United though, and it is a sign of the times with social media and what IPhone videos can do.

Another incident occurred in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida this week - not even at an airport. A 16 year veteran gate agent at JetBlue worked his shift and stopped at a gas station on his way home from work. The pumps were all full and some "pump rage occurred". Apparantly an all too entitled JetBlue "Mosiac" customer had to wait his turn at the pump. When he realized the person pumping gas in front of him was in a JetBlue uniform, he decided to confront him. He then began filming the JetBlue employee - who I can't blame him - had had it with this guy. The Mosiac customer has posted the video to YouTube, and because of the sensativity of social media - JetBlue has suspended the employee pending termination review because of an event which occurred OUTSIDE of the workplace - simply because he was still in his uniform on his way home from work.

My sources tell me this employee has had percect attendance for 14 of 16 years and has not a single black mark in his personnel file. He got into a fight at a gas station though, and because it got filmed he is on the verge of losing his job.

See video here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=brGWhJQi9 ... e=youtu.be

What is this industry coming to? Shame on JetBlue.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos