Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

keitherson
Topic Author

A plane without a cargo hold?

Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:28 am

This is mostly just a hypothetical/thought experiment, so apologies for its implausibility.

Let's assume that an airline where passengers are allowed carry-on bags only, and that there is no such thing as checking bags.

Is it be possible for a plane to made without a cargo hold, and therefore be a quasi-'double decker' narrowbody with additional seats?

Right now crew rest areas kind of function like that on some planes. Could this concept be expanded?

LAX772LR

Re: A plane without a cargo hold?

Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:36 am

keitherson wrote:
Right now crew rest areas kind of function like that on some planes. Could this concept be expanded?

Not sure why anyone would WANT such a thing, as it'd deny the ability to garner potentially significant revenue streams via cargo.

Second, you're just going to add weight/complexity due to the additional support and (more importantly) evacuation structures needed for a such a design.

alasizon

Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:00 am

In theory its possible but good luck with getting nobody to check bags.

RL777

Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:14 am

Underbelly cargo is a significant source of revenue for many airlines, in theory sure the idea works fine but it would be bad for business unless your talking about a short haul concept aircraft where passengers would only need carry on sized baggage which even that is a stretch as many travelers can't go 10KM without 2 fully loaded 100L suitcases.

precure787

Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:43 am

I'm guessing that would be many Ultralight or Light Sport Aircraft.

LoftleidirDC8

Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:21 am

ATRs and Comets do not have under belly holds. They were on the main deck.

drdisque

Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:25 am

You can't just go around moving the floor on an aircraft up or down. The space that's down in the hold on a narrowbody isn't very useful for people.

If an aircraft was designed from the outset with no hold in mind, yes, you could probably make it a little sleeker and save some weight, but I think the savings would be pretty negligible.

Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:32 am

A number of legitimate items can be carried in checked luggage; but, not in carry-on. Thus, there needs to be some checked baggage space.

Also, on a personal side my carry-on is medical equipment and supplies. My real luggage (clothing, etc) has to be checked. I can survive without a change of clothing, etc. so a missed routing is not that big a deal (it has happened twice in the last 4 years). I need my medical equipment and supplies and it is not immediately replaceable if lost. Thus, it's my carry-on. Again, you need to have space for checked baggage.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos