Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

KarelXWB
Topic Author

RwandAir to expand A330 ops

Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:27 pm

RwandAir plans to add 4 additional A330s to its fleet:

"RwandAir (WB, Kigali) has announced it is planning to further expand its widebody fleet with the addition of four more A330s this year alone.

In its application to the US Department of Transportation (DOT) for a Foreign Air Carrier Permit (FACP), the Rwandan national carrier said that aside from the A330-200 and A330-300 delivered late last year, it expects to add two more A330s in each of July and December of this year for a total of six. It did not state whether the aircraft would be acquired from Airbus (AIB, Toulouse Blagnac) or leased.

Collectively, the aircraft will be used in RwandAir's regional African and longhaul expansion plan which will commence this quarter with the launch of flights to Mumbai Int'l and London Gatwick. The airline plans to also serve Guangzhou, China, as well as Frankfurt Int'l, Germany, and the United States where flights are expected to start in August 2018. Though no destination was specified, maverick CEO John Mirenge has mentioned New York JFK in past interviews.

It is noted that the launch of flights to the United States is, however, contingent on Rwanda securing an International Aviation Safety Assessment (IASA) Category 1 rating with the US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).

Source
http://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/ ... -late-4q17

TheLion

Re: RwandAir to expand A330 ops

Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:20 am

Really good news. Looking forward to seeing Air Rwanda make progress and contribute to the continent's growth and progression.

usflyer msp

Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:55 am

I love Rwanda and Rwandair but the JFK route is stupid at this point in their development. There is little local market nor any significant connecting flows for Rwandair to capture with such a route - it would just be a license to lose millions of dollars...

behramjee

Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:26 am

usflyer msp wrote:
I love Rwanda and Rwandair but the JFK route is stupid at this point in their development. There is little local market nor any significant connecting flows for Rwandair to capture with such a route - it would just be a license to lose millions of dollars...

The Kigali Government seems hell bent on making KGL a tourist and business hub so if it is ready to subsidize the losses that these long haul routes would bring to the bottom line then its fine. But on a commercial basis, yes JFK will bleed heavily (at a net profit level) and should not be operated.

rukundo

Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:39 am

The CEO who is at RwandAir, since 2010, has just fired. There are majors changes in the board. They are many speculations about this:

https://www.theeastafrican.co.ke/busine ... index.html

Even, if they filed a DOT Application, i don't think that JFK will be served from 2018.

They started Mumbai service 2 days ago (83 passengers on the first flight to Mumbai on B737-800 (154 seats)) and will serve London Gatwick, from May 2017, in terms of long haul destinations, it's enough for RwandAir, to me.

They started Zimbabwe service, yesterday and they are now hiring in Guinea Conakry, Senegal and Mali, as they will serve Dakar, Conakry and Bamako, in a near future. They should now focus to spread their wings in Africa.

LGAviation

Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:22 am

Having flown them two years ago on EBB-KGL with hand-written boarding passes and having experienced Rwanda, I really have developed a sympathy for them, but I cannot really believe that JFK would genuinely work for them for various reasons.
They really need to find their own market and partnering with ET certainly doesn't help as eventually from what I take from their strategy, they will compete in exactly the same market segment, network in Sub-Saharan, esp East Africa. It might help in short-term but on the long-run they both will try to capture the huge potential markets (esp DRC and Tanzania) and ET will try to block their expansion. In terms of potential longhaul, a second European destination like CDG or depending on a partnership with LH or TK FRA, BRU or IST might work. They really should funnel traffic from NA through a partner, preferrably not ET. Maybe also a route to Asia outside of India might work.

eastafspot

Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:26 pm

For a trip done in November 2016, the miles have automatically been credited to my DreamMiles account the 23rd of March (did not claim them at all)... I wonder why former CEO John Mirenge has been sacked - certainly not because the airline is unprofitable...
So the idea of getting the A350 is already gone, or it will be on top of the 4 new A330?
hope RwandAir will start Paris before NYC!

AF022

Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:55 pm

eastafspot wrote:
I wonder why former CEO John Mirenge has been sacked - certainly not because the airline is unprofitable...

I'm assuming they are losing lots of money. Maybe they want to find a way to be making money?

eastafspot

Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:19 am

AF022 wrote:
eastafspot wrote:
I wonder why former CEO John Mirenge has been sacked - certainly not because the airline is unprofitable...

I'm assuming they are losing lots of money. Maybe they want to find a way to be making money?

In acquiring more a/c???
Indeed the situation can not be worse than now.
found a link with more info:
http://en.igihe.com/news/rwandair-boss-fired.html

While RwandAir has not started making profits yet, there have been reports of financial losses, with a reliable source indicating that an internal probe unearthed missing funds up to the tune of $2 million.

On December 8, 2016, Nigerian media reported that RwandAir had incurred heavy losses resulting from fines linked to fake entry visas carried by Nigerians travelling to Dubai in the United Arab Emirates.

The report, which was first carried by The Guardian and later picked by different websites, claimed that the Rwandan national carrier had made heavy losses in fines in just six months

AF022

Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:00 pm

Is there any news on impact on WB of sacking the CEO? Seems like a big deal. There must be an impact coming.

TheGeordielad

Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:05 pm

If they are adding 4 more a330s Is it 2 200s and 2 300s

rukundo

Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:41 pm

Airline posted its first profit in 2015, but back in the red in 2016. Depending how work its long haul flights to London and Mumbai and its new Africans routes, i hope that the airline will back quickly to the profits.

RwandAir is banking on new routes and efficient use of assets to get back to profitability this year after it plunged into loss-making last year.

The Rwandan national carrier’s financial documents show that it posted a $1.01 million loss last year, from an operating profit of $2.8 million in 2015.

But the airline has in the past three years reduced its losses from $37.3 million in 2014 to $1.01 million last year. The airline’s revenue is steadily growing, recording earnings of $99.85 million last year, up from $95.2 million the previous year, and $86.8 million in 2014.

From its financial documents, the airline has seen its grant allocation from the Rwandan government reduce drastically from $56.2 million in 2015 to $53.8 million last year.

In the 2017/18 budget, Finance Minister Claver Gatete reduced this further to $47 million, but it is expected that the airline’s aircraft guarantees, which the government provided on its new aircraft and the expansion of RwandAir operations, could see a negative reflection in its 2017/18 books of account.

RwandAir has also seen its operating expenses slightly fall last year to $115.7 million, down from $116.4 million in 2015, even as its staff costs increased, possibly due to the new routes, which require more human resources. Last year, it spent $11.8 million on employee costs, up from 10.3 million the previous year.

The airline’s total liabilities have risen to $238.1 million up from $166.06 million even though its borrowing went down to $113.9 million from 131.7 million in 2015, while its finance costs rose to $15.12 million, up from $10.5 million last year. The airline has also seen its total assets increased to $238.15 million, up from $166.06 million in 2015.

The Rwandan government has in the past borrowed to finance the operations of the airline as it hopes that it will break even by the end of next year. In 2013 where Rwanda went for a 10-year Eurobond, Kigali indicated that it would use part of the $200 million to finance RwandAir, without indicating how much of the money went to the airline.

In the revised budget for 2013/2014, RwandAir allocation rose from $32.3 million to $47.9 million as more funds were committed to repay loans. In 2015, the airline received $160 million from PTA Bank to acquire the two new Airbus aircraft that it received last year.

The airline is currently servicing a loan of $60 million borrowed from the same bank in 2011 and due for maturity in 2021.

http://www.theeastafrican.co.ke/busines ... index.html

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos