Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Yakamoz

Re: Turkish Aviation April 2017

Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:36 pm

TK787 wrote:
TK traffic results for the period of January-March 2017 are as follows:

"-During the period of January-March 2017 passenger carried decreased by 8.0%, to 13.0 million passengers from 14.2 million passengers for the same period of 2016. Decrease in number of passengers carried in domestic and international lines are 2.9% and 11.8%, respectively.
-International-to-international transfer passengers decreased by 11.6%.
-L/F increased by 0.4 point to 74.2%.
-ASK decreased by 7.8% to 36.3 billion during the period of January-March 2017 from 39.4 billion for the same period of 2016. ASK in domestic lines increased by 1.0% while ASK in international lines decreased 9.0%.
-RPK decreased by 7.3% to 26.9 billion during the period of January-March 2017 from 29.1 billion for the same period of 2016. Decrease in RPK in domestic and international lines are 2.1% and 8.1%, respectively.
-Number of landings (passenger aircraft) of 107,850 for the period of January-March 2016 decreased by 9.6% to 97,506 in 2017.
-Cargo/Mail carried during the period of January-March 2017 increased by 19.4% to 226,256 tons from 189,481 tons in 2016.
-By the end of March 2017, number of aircraft went up to 337 from 306 of March 2016. Number of wide body aircraft increased from 76 to 90, narrow body aircraft from 220 to 234, and cargo aircraft went up to 13 from 10."

This should answer some questions:
-European routes pax numbers down 17.3%
-N.American routes pax numbers down 18.9%
-Cargo up 19%
That is why TK non taken 77W is going to IR and the remaining 2 is converted to 777Fs.

Maybe these analysis helps to discuss these numbers..

Tkfan

Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:35 pm

OA260 wrote:
mict wrote:
Any idea how the results of the referendum will affect Turkish aviation in general?

The effect may sadly come due to civil unrest and more terror attacks. Turkey is now a divided nation and there are troubled times ahead. Especially as observers have questioned the process and irregularities. The perception of Turkey and Turkish Airlines maybe tarnished further and this may hurt tourism and passenger numbers even more. The language and rhetoric being used by Erdogan today towards Europeans and others is not that of a leader promoting tourism and people to fly TK.

Thats more a wishfull thinking of europeans and european media. Funny to read german newspapers teaching Turkish citizens 'how dare you vote for a man we declared a dictator'.
It was not an election but a referendum for a political system.
They should stop teaching and judging other countries and look for their own faults.

As Mercure has stated, this result will bring more stability as the future is more foreseeable. The fact that Turkey is large with young population makes it very dynamic and interesting for foreign investment.
The recovery is already noticable with recent economic data published.
Turkish Airlines Pax numbers for March shows a decline of 5% although they reduced capacity by almost 10%. I guess when the referendum stress is over and everything settels, we will see positive growth rates in 2H17. Also absorbing the negative effects of the failed military coup last year.

leftyboarder

Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:50 pm

mercure1 wrote:
Now that referendum is finished I see it will provide relief knowing its over with and outcome provides stability for Turkey to move forward under steady long term governorship.

This view is reflected in Fx markets with Turkish Lira rallying against both USD and EUR since poll results were made public.
Any other outcome would have left everyone with many unknowns and created instability.

Now both companies and consumers can proceed knowing a pending question mark has been decided. This obviously is good for airlines and domestic economy as peoples minds and pockets focus on other things.

What stability are we talking? We have had a one party government that was already fairly stable for the past 15 years. Now the new constitution is a big black box with many unknowns - it has never been applied before. So there is a lot more uncertainty now. With a NO outcome we would have kept on using our current system and current government. Now it's all a big unknown. Let's not kid ourselves, the country needed a new system as much as I need a third elbow. And aviation policies aside, the damage this has done to Turkey's image abroad will translate to further drops in TK pax numbers.

CanadaFair

Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:37 pm

Seeing Kam Air operating to IST from Kabul on FR24, seems to be a regular twice weekly service, along with Ankara too, 737-500 is being used shows up as operated by Ukranian Wings but wears Kam livery.

LAXintl

Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:28 pm

As follow up, last month there was a question as to why A333 was scheduled for several flights to Oslo.
Turns out, TK has won a 3-year contract with biggest Norwegian seafood distributor transporting goods to Mideast and Asian markets.
To support this TK will also offer double weekly A330 freighter service in additional to capacity on passenger flights.

Regarding the referendum, I also believe the outcome will help with stability. Markets also likewise view decision positively with both Lira rallying and Istanbul stock exchange reaching its highest point since January 2015.
Ultimately having settled the big question hanging over the nation and knowing who running the place and their established economic agenda for the foreseeable future can only help with confidence for both companies and consumers which is good for air transportation sector.

TK787
Topic Author

Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:18 pm

I also replied to the "EK cutting US routes" thread, but here it is also.
After a drop of 18% this first quarter, could we see TK to cut even deeper into the US routes? If not this summer, but come October. What are the worst performing US cities? I can imagine BOS and ATL and maybe MIA.

TK105

Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:34 pm

What takes you this high? I need that also!

General wishful thinking words on stability is good but depart us from realities. Can you figure your expectations for 2017 end pax numbers for TR, IST, AYT and TK? When do you expect this negative trend to end? When can we expect Euro Tuorist to come back as before?

Luisvalero

Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:34 pm

Is there any possibility to see TK launching regular flights to Europe from Ankara (not seasonal as it currently does) ? Or TK is quite Istanbul focused due to it's connections?

I can see working from Ankara: LHR, CDG, FRA, MUC (Lufthansa is already in the market) AMS, TXL, HAM, ARN etc

leftyboarder

Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:23 am

I think people confuse political stability (which translates into economic and social stability as well) with other things. There are many countries that use parliamentary democracy as a stable form of government and many unstable presidencies - see Africa. Regardless, the negative vibe towards Turkey has only been strengthened with the outcome and I think if tourism ever recovers, it will be a la Egypt - cheap masses not bothered by terrorism or the condition of the country they visit. The fall in transit passengers for TK demonstrates that people do not want to transit in IST as much. And the decline in both Europe and North America - two major sources of pax - are over 15% for the first quarter of 2017 after an already bad 2016.

My two cents is this. Our politicians speak very, very harshly of European countries, and this results in European pax to shy away. We claim that Europe is jealous of our new airport and write conspiracy theories, but a new airport will only make sense with the pax from those countries we criticise. In other words, we are "chopping the branch we climbed on" as we Turks say.

Anyway, opinions differ. Let's hope things get better. I would rather be wrong than sorry for my country.

mafaky

Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:17 am

Luisvalero wrote:
Is there any possibility to see TK launching regular flights to Europe from Ankara (not seasonal as it currently does) ? Or TK is quite Istanbul focused due to it's connections?

I can see working from Ankara: LHR, CDG, FRA, MUC (Lufthansa is already in the market) AMS, TXL, HAM, ARN etc

Your suggestion envisages that TK starts daily direct flights from ESB/Ankara to 8 different and major European destinations (assuming there will be no slot restraints, as in LHR...). Maybe a few more may be added to these like CGN (where Turkish expats hold a strong community), BRU (the so-called "Capital of EU"). These are all 3-4 hour fight time destinations from ESB. Let's also assume that it will be preferable that fights from ESB leave early in the morning (in the 7:30-8:30 time frame) and return back to ESB in the afternoons. This necessiates that TK will have to base at least 8-10 frames with comfortableEuro business class (recent b738s or a321s) at ESB. In the late afternoon till early morning hours the same frames may be used for a roundtrip at Middle East destinations (DXB, DOH, KUW, some KSA destinations, or the like).

The biggest and foremost prerequisite will be: adequate load factor (a yearly average of min. 75% for any of these destinations).

Does TK have enough fleet inventory to do so? I think YES, particularly for a321s (assuming on the fact that SAW based TK fleet comprises exclusively on b738s).

Will TK be willing and fully prepared for this kind of operation (considering factors like stationing permanent crews in Ankara, catering and maintenance facilities): I very much think: NO !!!

mercure1

Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:19 pm

IATA to launch its largest training project in history train more than 10,000 employees for Istanbul’s new airport.

The program will see IATA work in partnership with Turkish university to initially train 10,000 employees in various subject areas in preparation for airports 2018 opening. As further phases of the airport are opened up to 2023, the total number of employees requiring training could be as high as 100,000.

Turkish Civil Aviation regulations stipulate that all employees of the airport must complete specific training before the airport is granted its operating certificate.

Istanbul New Airport: IATA set to undertake major employee training initiative.
http://www.4hoteliers.com/news/story/17065

goacom

Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:32 pm

We have traveled on Turkish before and have had a very positive experience with the airline. However, since the start of the political problems a few years ago, we have avoided travel to and via Turkey. We actually cancelled a trip to Turkey and now fly via one of the ME3 for our trips to Asia from the US. Their fares are very tempting, but for now, TK is out of our travel plans.

Yakamoz

Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:01 am

Ucuyoruzz.com says Borajet will fly for the last time tomorrow. I've checked the fleet and only 2-3 birds are flying this week.

TK787
Topic Author

Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:59 pm

The saga continues about the latest TK 77W yet to be delivered. Is it going to IR or TK?
http://painefield.blogspot.com/2017/04/ ... or-tc.html

KarelXWB

Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:20 am

TC-JIT is back from storage.

Airbus A330 -243 977 TC-JIT Turkish Airlines ferried 23apr17 AYT-IST after storage ex OE-IDA

LAXintl

Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:40 pm

Some bits of news out of the Arabian Travel Market show taking place in Dubai this week:

TK Chairman Ayci was a keynote speaker with some points.
o Travel to Turkey by GCC nationals increased by 10.5% in 2016 - biggest increase was Saudis +18% and UAE +14%
o Turkey has become the "most popular" European destination for GCC citizens
o TK also carrying many GCC clients via IST - most popular markets - LHR, BCN, CDG, SJJ and USA/Canada
o GCC become growing outbound destination for Turks - most popular DXB and KWI plus JED/MED for religious visitors.

Also announced at the event, TAV has been awarded the contract to develop and operate two additional airports in Saudi Arabia - Qassim and Hail under 30-year contract. Both airports will receive terminals with 6.5mil annual pax capacity. This will be TAVs 6th and 7th Saudi airport.

stylo777

Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:36 am

Yakamoz wrote:
Ucuyoruzz.com says Borajet will fly for the last time tomorrow. I've checked the fleet and only 2-3 birds are flying this week.

it's now official that Borajet ceased operations.
around 30.000 already purchased tickets will be endorsed to TK.
many employees incl. pilots and crewmembers have been laid off.

in a country (turkey) which has his regional-connectivity foundation based on overland bus services, it amazes me again that regional airlines can't run a profitable business.
of course, e190 are great to fly from passenger perspective, but those cross-country flights should be flown by turboprop's. this on the other hand hits an invisible wall (rhetorical...): culture and mentality - people believe it is unsafe to fly on turboprops. the only chance I see is the third airport and TK investment in regional connectivity. they could lease/purchase a small fleet and carry out flights to neighboring cities like:
- Bursa
- Balikesir
- Canakkale
- Bandirma
- Eskisehir
- Izmit
- Zonguldak
- Kastamonu

well, my hopes for this to become true are almost non-existent.

KarelXWB

Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:57 pm

Looks like Borajet wants to restart in the future:

Turkish regional carrier Borajet Airlines suspended operations April 23, citing maintenance issues, but said it plans to resume operations by the time the new Istanbul airport opens in 2018.

http://atwonline.com/mro/turkish-region ... operations

LAXintl

Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:59 pm

From what I have heard, Borajet's new owners are going to restructure the airline and relaunch with new business plan to be based out of the 3rd airport in 2018.
To keep the AOC active they will in the meantime maintain a single E190 and pair of business jets on charter service in using skeleton staff.
Let's see what happens....

mercure1

Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:17 am

Was there not talk about THY establishing a large 'regional' feeder fleet once at the new airport?
Maybe a restructured Borajet is part of this plan. Is the former TK chairman/CEO not part of the Borajet now?

mafaky

Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:49 am

mercure1 wrote:
Was there not talk about THY establishing a large 'regional' feeder fleet once at the new airport?
Maybe a restructured Borajet is part of this plan. Is the former TK chairman/CEO not part of the Borajet now?

1) There was, but I don't believe in its workability. On the contrary, it may not be a too distant future that AnadoluJet will be re-incarnated as an independent airline with its own AOC.
2) BoraJet's current argument is also BS: what can the Istanbul New Airport bring o them, than the present ISG cannot provide?
3) Indeed TK's former Chairman (not CEO) made an attempt to become the CEO, GM or whatever of BoraJet after the airline was sold. People with good memories, may well remember this chap was fired from TK overnight, due to the political issues. No one outside really knows what he had done; must really be something really very naughty against the high level interests of the high level politicians in Ankara. He was not a brilliant chairman, anyway, but perhaps not deserving to be fired in such a humiliating way. This time, it took 3-4 days, until he was fired from BoraJet, as well... :confused:

CanadaFair

Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:29 am

TK fly to a few eastern Turkey destinations from Jeddah, are these bookable for all or just pilgrims? can someone fly to JED and then onto those places?

TK787
Topic Author

Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:14 pm

CanadaFair wrote:
TK fly to a few eastern Turkey destinations from Jeddah, are these bookable for all or just pilgrims? can someone fly to JED and then onto those places?

-I think they are all charter, mostly by high density A340s. Not sure if bookable.
-I have a question. It has been a while now since these routes started. Do we know how TK's Manila and Taipei routes are doing? Both with Daily 77Ws, just wondering. Thanks.

mercure1

Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:47 pm

I read in French forum that politics aside, Pegasus will begin service to Armenia. SAW-EVN route commences June 1st.

mafaky

Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:17 pm

Can someone, possibly explain the inside outs of the deal as mentioned in the below link?

http://airlines.einnews.com/article/378 ... cmRg%3D%3D

To start with TK doesn't legally own these 2 T7 frames (whichever they may be...). They should be in the legal inventory of a financial lessor (usually anonymous, for some reason or the other...)

ankaraflyjet

Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:57 am

According to airporthaber BoraJet's CEO says their pilots and Embrear aircrafts are being transferred to THY..I wonder if this is transfer is to AnadoluJet or TK mainline...Anybody has further information?

TheGeordielad

Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:35 am

ankaraflyjet wrote:
According to airporthaber BoraJet's CEO says their pilots and Embrear aircrafts are being transferred to THY..I wonder if this is transfer is to AnadoluJet or TK mainline...Anybody has further information?

My guess anadolu Jet as they have had E-190/195s in the fleet.In fact the 6 E1190s/195s they did operate all went to Borajet and then Borajet just added 2 more E-195s.Well that's my guess anyway.

CanadaFair

Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:57 am

TK787 wrote:
CanadaFair wrote:

-I think they are all charter, mostly by high density A340s. Not sure if bookable.
-I have a question. It has been a while now since these routes started. Do we know how TK's Manila and Taipei routes are doing? Both with Daily 77Ws, just wondering. Thanks.

No 737s do those routes.

TK787
Topic Author

Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:49 am

CanadaFair wrote:
TK787 wrote:
CanadaFair wrote:

No 737s do those routes.

My bad. IST-TPE, IST-MNL with daily 77Ws, how are those two routes performing ?

peterinlisbon

Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:34 pm

Maybe the fact that their president is continuously insulting Europe and the USA doesn't do much for passenger numbers. I can't beleive they shut down booking.com. I used it last time I went to Oludeniz and it helped me to find a great hotel. It's incredibly useful for almost any country in the world. What, do we have to back to reserving a hotel without being able to see any reviews like 20 years ago? I used Paypal to book my last flight on Royal Jordanian. Why on earth did they ban that? It's a shame, but all of these things make Turkey less attractive to visitors. People will just choose to go elsewhere if you inconvenience them too much.

It looks to me like this new airport in Istanbul is going to be another major inconvenience for passengers because it is so far from the city. Surely they could have reclaimed some land and increased the size of Ataturk - new runway and a new terminal connected to the Marmaray would have been great. They could have added an IDO ferry terminal and then you could take a boat from there to Kadikoy, Besiktas or Bostanci.

BuildingMyBento

Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:54 pm

Any likelihood of TK starting Lubumbashi?

mafaky

Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:42 pm

ankaraflyjet wrote:

Several points to clarify here:

1) AnadoluJet is not an independent airline or any kind of legal subsidiary company of THY, with a separate AOC. It is only a brand (low cost brand) of TK.
2) Currently AnadoluJet filight are executed under TK 7xyz flight numbers. So were they, in the past!...
3) Currently AnadoluJet flights are executed exclusively with Boeing 738s. Some of these frames are oldish TK planes, now converted into single class 189 seat ones and with AnadoluJet colors. Remainder are operationaldry leased ones from different lessors. These latter are actually leased by the Turkish SunExpress (a 50-50 JV between TK & LH, a separate airline) and then sub & wet leased to TK, under AnadoluJet colors.
4) In the past BoraJet also wet leased first ATR turboprops and later Embraer E-190 series jets to TK. So TK (under AnadoluJet brand) actually never dry or wet leased any Embraers from any lessor, except for BoraJet. Consequently BoraJet never ever received Embraers from TK; it was just the opposite!...

But today, yes, these fresh rumors surfaced that BoraJets Embraer jets may be going to TK. God know, yet, what will come out of it!!!

Yakamoz

Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:28 pm

mafaky wrote:
Can someone, possibly explain the inside outs of the deal as mentioned in the below link?

http://airlines.einnews.com/article/378 ... cmRg%3D%3D

To start with TK doesn't legally own these 2 T7 frames (whichever they may be...). They should be in the legal inventory of a financial lessor (usually anonymous, for some reason or the other...)

Would be very interesting to know which B777 frames are now leased from BOC.

KarelXWB

Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:27 pm

TC-LNB returned from storage.

Airbus A330 -223 939 TC-LNB Turkish Airlines ferried 27apr17 AYT-IST after storage ex D-ALAB

TC-LOG (ex-Skymark) joined the fleet.

Airbus A330 -343 1651 TC-LOG Turkish Airlines delivery 25apr17 ZRH-IST ex EI-FMI

TheGeordielad

Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:28 pm

Don't know if already mentioned but 2 TK A320-214s are going to
Viva Colombia.

TheGeordielad

Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:29 pm

KarelXWB wrote:

Airbus A330 -223 939 TC-LNB Turkish Airlines ferried 27apr17 AYT-IST after storage ex D-ALAB

Airbus A330 -343 1651 TC-LOG Turkish Airlines delivery 25apr17 ZRH-IST ex EI-FMI

How many Ex SkyMark A333s are there left to join the TK fleet?

ankaraflyjet

Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:42 pm

I got this from Swiss aviation forum;

Ankara is the biggest unserved route in Europe from ZRH and hard to understand how come LX does not reinstate ZRH ESB that will give good transfer pax also, the numbers are below;

Here are the top 10 unserved European routes from ZRH

Ankara Esenboga 27 --> in S17 served by GM (once weekly)
Tallinn 26
Bergen 21 --> in S17 served by LX (twice weekly)
Wroclaw 21
Tirana 20
Glasgow International 19
Gdansk 18
Billund 17
Bremen 17
Gaziantep 15

Yakamoz

Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:00 pm

TheGeordielad wrote:
KarelXWB wrote:

How many Ex SkyMark A333s are there left to join the TK fleet?

Just 1. EI-FNZ.

TheGeordielad wrote:
Don't know if already mentioned but 2 TK A320-214s are going to
Viva Colombia.

TC-JPU and TC-JPV, already painted in Viva Colombia livery.
4 more A319 will leave for Shaheen and 1 more A320 to Cobalt Air.

ankaraflyjet wrote:

Ankara is the biggest unserved route in Europe from ZRH and hard to understand how come LX does not reinstate ZRH ESB that will give good transfer pax also, the numbers are below;

Tallinn 26
Wroclaw 21
Tirana 20
Glasgow International 19
Gdansk 18
Billund 17
Bremen 17
Gaziantep 15

Are these daily pax numbers?

LAXintl

Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:11 pm

Ref the BOC 77W deal.

According to the BOC press release:

BOC Aviation and Turkish Airlines Enter Into Purchase-and-Leaseback
27 APR 2017

BOC Aviation Limited (“BOC Aviation” or “the Company”) is pleased to announce that it has entered into a purchase-and-leaseback transaction with Turkish Airlines for two 2016-vintage Boeing 777-300ER aircraft, both of which are expected to deliver to the Company in the second quarter of 2017.

“We are delighted to once more be supporting the Turkish Airlines’ group fleet plans, which add popular, in-demand aircraft on long-term leases to our portfolio,” said Robert Martin, Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of BOC Aviation. “This transaction is another example of our disciplined investment as we further build our fleet and balance sheet in 2017.”

Bilal Eksi, Turkish Airlines’ Chief Executive Officer, said, “As the national flag carrier of Turkey and a leading global carrier as well that flies to more international destinations and countries, Turkish Airlines is keen on expanding its fleet over the last decade, as well as its portfolio of financiers. We are pleased to close another successful transaction with BOC Aviation as one of our most valuable long-term financing partners.”

https://www.bocaviation.com/en/press-re ... /4/thy-plb

ankaraflyjet

Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:24 am

One way pax number per each destination

ankaraflyjet wrote:

Ankara is the biggest unserved route in Europe from ZRH and hard to understand how come LX does not reinstate ZRH ESB that will give good transfer pax also, the numbers are belo

Tallinn 26
Wroclaw 21
Tirana 20
Glasgow International 19
Gdansk 18
Billund 17
Bremen 17
Gaziantep 15

Are these daily pax numbers?[/quote]

mafaky

Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:36 am

Understand, but to which time period(s) do these below OW pax numbers belong to? 2016???

In any way, if these are "unserved" routes, where do these pax numbers evolve from?

stylo777

Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:41 am

Despite the demand, ZRH-ESB pax can easily be funneled through IST/SAW on TK/PC or MUC with LH. The latter one seems to be the choice for the Miles&More customer base; rest is taken up by the formers.
It's propably to costly to operate that route for LX. Remember, they have withdrawn 2x daily IST and 3x weekly ADB flights just last year.

TK105

Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:25 am

Our new presidential A345 plane is ready to take off.

ankaraflyjet

Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:16 pm

IST is dominated by TK and ESB needs another direct service like AF to CDG or BA to LHR or KL to AMS, LX could do it easily as they have the new Bombardier series and ZRH ESB is well in the range, easy to fill and ZRH is a good hub for onward connections to Europe, North America etc. I am sure it will be very profitable for LX, if you combine ESB ZRH, GVA and BSL daily traffic you have around 60 pax per day plus the transit pax potential I think Bombardier a/c will even be small for summer months in particular. IST picture is rather different than ESB and is not a good comparison, you shoıld note that ESB is the only growing market in 2017 among the five major airports in Turkey and is under-served for international flights, in conclusion I think LX has the right a/c to reinstate this route now

stylo777 wrote:
Despite the demand, ZRH-ESB pax can easily be funneled through IST/SAW on TK/PC or MUC with LH. The latter one seems to be the choice for the Miles&More customer base; rest is taken up by the formers.
It's propably to costly to operate that route for LX. Remember, they have withdrawn 2x daily IST and 3x weekly ADB flights just last year.

stylo777

Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:08 am

Correct, but the intl. growth is only driven by Saudias daily flight and the addition of Ukraine Intl.

Besides, big brother LH probably wouldn't allow LX to throw on additional cheap capacity into the market whereas they have an established schedule for years now.

Moreover, I believe the CS100/300 is better utilized with more short legs than one 3hrs oneway leg.
Instead of a ESB return you could easily do double VIE/CDG/FRA returns.

CanadaFair

Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:17 am

TK787 wrote:
IST-TPE, IST-MNL with daily 77Ws, how are those two routes performing ?

Wonder why LAVintl isnt responding to this.

ankaraflyjet

Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:55 pm

I asked the question and got the following reply;

It's pax per day (one-way). I calculated this using the O&D figures (full-year) in the table provided by the bureau of statistics in Switzerland and divided this figure by 365 to arrive at PDEW.

mafaky wrote:
Understand, but to which time period(s) do these below OW pax numbers belong to? 2016???

In any way, if these are "unserved" routes, where do these pax numbers evolve from?

ankaraflyjet

Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:10 pm

Yes, great point but Sofia, Kiev etc. are not so much different than ESB from ZRH actually and reinstated by LX with Bombardier series recently, (Note SR operated ZRH-ESB-DAM-ESB-GVA-ZRH with DC-8 in 70'ies until 1985 when MD-88 was introduced and the route changed to ZRH-ESB-ZRH in a three class configuration FCY) until the route was taken over by TK's 738 on a codeshare deal with SR from 1993) also ESB will add a lot of transfer traffic LX' global network and add value to network for sure but I agree with you LH would not let that happen, their idea of combining OS, LX, SN, SK, BD is to strengthen LH but not to create competing entities in the same Group. I still do not understand how come European competition authorities do not oppose this as LH is controlling the continental European airlines to such a great extent.

Look at the airlines serving ESB before the LH merger, OS daily MD87 VIE-ESB-VIE, SR (now LX) ZRH-ESB, BD LHR-ESB-LHR 5 weekly 321, SN BRU-ESB-BRU 3 weekly 737, among those only SK reinstates ESB CPH and ESB ARN occasionally during summer months. All others were ceased and this is done by LH primarily. ESB MUC is operating on 90% connecting traffic nowadays and very high load factor, biggest destinations top five in Europe are LHR, CDG, CPH, ARN, BCN for your information...Hardly any Turkey Germany traffic

stylo777 wrote:
Correct, but the intl. growth is only driven by Saudias daily flight and the addition of Ukraine Intl.

Besides, big brother LH probably wouldn't allow LX to throw on additional cheap capacity into the market whereas they have an established schedule for years now.

Moreover, I believe the CS100/300 is better utilized with more short legs than one 3hrs oneway leg.
Instead of a ESB return you could easily do double VIE/CDG/FRA returns.

TK787
Topic Author

Mon May 01, 2017 12:41 am

Please continue here, "Turkish Aviation May 2017"
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1361907
Moderators, could you please archive this thread. Thank you.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos