Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

OA260

Re: Irish 4/17: Remembering the fallen

Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:38 pm

Kerry Airport announces new partnership that will bring thousands of tourists directly to the Kingdom
The new charter flight will connect the Kingdom with two of Austria's biggest airports

A new charter service is to see over 2,000 tourists fly into Kerry Airport this summer.

The new charter flight will connect the Kingdom with two of Austria's biggest airports.

Austrian travel company Moser Reisen set up the service and the first 200 passengers from it were welcomed into Kerry Airport at 8:30am this morning.

The Manager of Kerry Airport, Peter Moore, said: “These charters will operate throughout the months of April, May and June with flights arriving into Kerry from Graz Airport which is the 2nd largest airport in Austria and Linz Airport which is the 3rd largest airport in Austria.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/lifestyle/tra ... p-10242033

AmricanShamrok

Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:38 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
AmricanShamrok wrote:
Does anyone know how long it takes AerClub to update your account after you've flown?

My last flight on 8 April from DUB to LHR posted on 12 April.

So far, Aer Club has been fine for me. SuperValu transfers post the next day or day after, flights post within a couple of days. I guess having no balance to speak of was probably a good thing. Are people still having issues?

I don't know why mine haven't been posted yet. I provided my Avios account/AerClub number at the time of booking and all my flights appeared on the "My Trips" section of the AerClub website. I also converted SuperValu Real Rewards points back in March and they're not showing up (but apparently this is an issue on the SV side and I've been assured a "small number" of customers are affected). I'm not overly bothered by it. My expectations of AerClub were low from the outset anyway!

ClassicLover

Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:46 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:
I don't know why mine haven't been posted yet. I provided my Avios account/AerClub number at the time of booking and all my flights appeared on the "My Trips" section of the AerClub website. I also converted SuperValu Real Rewards points back in March and they're not showing up (but apparently this is an issue on the SV side and I've been assured a "small number" of customers are affected). I'm not overly bothered by it. My expectations of AerClub were low from the outset anyway!

That's really weird in my mind as this is basic functionality that should work correctly. I'm sure everything will credit correctly once they work through the last of the gremlins. I can see why people are still irritated by it all though. This should have been sorted from the get go.

Let us know when your stuff posts, just because I'm curious to see how long it will take.

AmricanShamrok

Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:14 am

ClassicLover wrote:
AmricanShamrok wrote:

That's really weird in my mind as this is basic functionality that should work correctly. I'm sure everything will credit correctly once they work through the last of the gremlins. I can see why people are still irritated by it all though. This should have been sorted from the get go.

Let us know when your stuff posts, just because I'm curious to see how long it will take.

I will. I was going to fill in the online Claim for Missing Flights Form but there's a note on the website saying the points for these claims will not be credited until "the next of our phased roll out of AerClub". :roll:

Jambost

Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:32 am

Some excellent fares with Air Arabia to Agadir, quoting a return for 11th Nov - 18th Nov
£120 for a seat only,
£150 includes a 15kg hold luggage and a sandwich onboard,
£220 includes a 30kg hold allowance, a hot meal, a seat of your choice & flexible bookings.
Their website needs an overhaul, it is quoting sterling instead of euro and just seems a little unprofessional looking. However I really like how each fare reflects the product in a single quote.
I flew via LGW last november so I am excited to try Air Arabia direct this year.

OA260

Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:32 am

Jambost wrote:
Some excellent fares with Air Arabia to Agadir, quoting a return for 11th Nov - 18th Nov

They seem to be a decent enough operation. A mate of mine used to be a pilot for them.

---

Cork loses out as passengers continue to flock to Dublin Airport
The capital’s hub is taking a massive chunk of Ireland’s total air traffic.

DUBLIN AIRPORT IS taking an ever-increasing share of Ireland’s total air traffic, according to new data.

New aviation statistics published by the Central Statistics Office (CSO) show that the capital handled almost 85% of all passengers travelling through Irish airports in 2016.

That’s up about five percentage points on its traffic share four years ago.

Just under 33 million passengers travelled through Irish airports last year, an increase of 10.3% on the previous 12-month period measured by the CSO.

More than 27.7 million passengers passed through Dublin, up 11.3% on the year before.

Regional hubs

Cork Airport has seen the biggest dip in its traffic share since 2012, dropping three percentage points to just under 7% of all flights in 2016.

The other main airports – Shannon, Knock and Kerry – saw marginal drops in their share of total air traffic.

http://www.thejournal.ie/air-traffic-ir ... =shortlink

JAmie2k9

Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:19 pm

"Over 2000 passengers will fly into Kerry over the coming months following the commencement today of a new charter service, operated by Austrian travel company Moser Reisen.

200 people arrived into the county on the first flight which landed at Kerry Airport just after 8.30am.

The charters will operate throughout the months of April, May and June with flights arriving into Kerry from Graz Airport which is the second largest airport in Austria and Linz Airport which is the third largest airport in Austria.

The Manager of Kerry Airport, Peter Moore, said that this charter series will bring 2,200 tourists directly into the county of Kerry.

He added that this is the first charter series of its kind into Kerry and the first charter series of its kind from Austria"

http://www.radiokerry.ie/new-austrian-c ... ins-today/

OA260

Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:04 pm

Big delay on the Cobalt today.

Larnaca Cobalt Air CO682 19 Apr Due 14:30 Expected Delayed 23:40

https://www.dublinairport.com/flight-in ... e-arrivals

JAmie2k9

Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:22 pm

Not as bad as the outbound, re scheduled for 11.30 tomorrow!

OA260

Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:29 pm

Over 600 passengers affected as fault halts Aer Lingus jet

Around 660 Aer Lingus passengers had their travel plans disrupted over the last 24 hours due to a technical issue with one of its aircraft.

A flight from Dublin to JFK Airport in New York and the subsequent return flight from JFK to Dublin were cancelled yesterday due to what an Aer Lingus spokesman called "a technical issue with one of the aircraft in the fleet".

Around 600 passengers in total on the flight to New York and on the return flight were reaccommodated the spokesman said.

Earlier today an Air Lingus flight from Dublin to Orlando, using the same aircraft, an Airbus A330, was also cancelled for the same reason, the spokesperson said, with 66 passengers affected.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0419/868614-news-in-brief/

Air Lingus ? And from RTE too ;)

AmricanShamrok

Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:46 pm

OA260 wrote:

Around 660 Aer Lingus passengers had their travel plans disrupted over the last 24 hours due to a technical issue with one of its aircraft.

A flight from Dublin to JFK Airport in New York and the subsequent return flight from JFK to Dublin were cancelled yesterday due to what an Aer Lingus spokesman called "a technical issue with one of the aircraft in the fleet".

Around 600 passengers in total on the flight to New York and on the return flight were reaccommodated the spokesman said.

Earlier today an Air Lingus flight from Dublin to Orlando, using the same aircraft, an Airbus A330, was also cancelled for the same reason, the spokesperson said, with 66 passengers affected.

Only 66 passengers on DUB-MCO? Is that right?

Taity

Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:05 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:
OA260 wrote:

If so that's brutal! I would like to think it'll perform better over the next few months.

Cipango

Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:33 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:
OA260 wrote:

Difficult to judge a route of one flight - also a midweek flight.

From working in aviation I have seen some high performance routes have 90-95% load factors on average but one day it has 30%.

Maybe the inbound flight is a lot busier due to the recent long weekend.

tonystan

Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:00 pm

Taity wrote:
AmricanShamrok wrote:
OA260 wrote:

If so that's brutal! I would like to think it'll perform better over the next few months.

I have no doubt it should have been heaving coming home considering its near the end of the Easter holidays.

shamrock350

Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:50 pm

EI-LAX was tech in Chicago over the weekend, possibly an ongoing issue? It's the oldest A330 in the fleet now, delivered way back in 1999!

I wouldn't worry too much about that MCO number either, it's increased to 4 weekly for the summer so must be doing something right. At least they should be easy to rebook.

JAmie2k9

Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:04 pm

Just to be clear MCO passengers were given the option to re book alternative services and most did.

JAmie2k9

Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:06 pm

Taity wrote:
AmricanShamrok wrote:
OA260 wrote:

To be fair, EI's fleet is pretty reliable and it rarely happens.

shamrock350

Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:37 pm

JAmie2k9 wrote:
Taity wrote:
AmricanShamrok wrote:
To be fair, EI's fleet is pretty reliable and it rarely happens.

Everyday is a slow news day in Ireland, this kind of stuff isn't worthy of making the national news but appears to be a regular thing with RTE and the others. It's a bit like how every fatal road traffic accident in Ireland gets a headline on the Six One, tragic but hardly what I would consider news.

These cancellations even made Nuacht on TG4 last night, was there really nothing else going on?!

OA260

Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:41 pm

shamrock350 wrote:

These cancellations even made Nuacht on TG4 last night, was there really nothing else going on?!

Surprised that channel still exists. Road accidents/deaths are a big issue in Ireland especially among young people. 15% rise in 2016 and 1 in 5 were not wearing seat belts. The culture needs changed here especially in rural areas. That is why its news and Ireland is a small country. When friends of mine say they are scared of flying I remind them its safer then getting in a car and that is certainly true in Ireland!

Aviation news does appear a lot in Irish newspapers and TV. We are so reliant on it and its a big part of the tourism economy so again its all news worthy. The fact that RTE often get something wrong or factually incorrect is also a culture in RTE sadly. One often wonders why we are paying EUR160 a year for this ''quality'' of news broadcasting.

neutral

Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:24 am

Would I be right in assuming the talked about Hainan airlines tag on Manchester/Beijing flight is not happening this summer?

OA260

Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:12 am

Ireland-bound Aer Lingus flight diverted after emergency at 30,000ft

Passengers on a Belfast-bound flight were left terrified as a man sitting in the emergency exit suffered a severe medical episode at 30,000ft.
The passenger, aged in his 20s, appeared confused and upset and was seen trying to open the emergency door.
It is believed he was travelling home with his father and brother when the incident unfolded.
One passenger said she initially felt terrified as she heard people shouting and screaming for help.
The woman, from Co Antrim , had been travelling home with her friend, when she witnessed what happened.

She said: "The first thing I heard was a woman screaming something and then I saw her standing in the aisle and she was saying the man in the seat beside her was trying to open the emergency exit. She was screaming for help."
The incident happened on Aer Lingus Flight EI049 on Tuesday night.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-ne ... t-10259391

-----

Cork Airport forced to close temporarily due to drone flying in the area

Flights in and out of Cork Airport were delayed this morning after the airport was forced to close due to a drone flying in the area.

Gardaí are currently on site and are dealing with the matter.

A spokeswoman for the airport said that service has since resumed but aircrafts are approaching "with caution".

"There was a drone spotted in the airport and we had two aircraft on hold but now pilots have been told to come back in, obviously with caution".

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/co ... 38601.html

shamrock350

Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:59 pm

Has Aer Lingus ever code shared on flights to South Africa that were available to book via their website? It's just I've noticed a South African version of their website had appeared in the drop down menu but the flag associated is Austrian and no airport can be selected. Maybe the codeshare with Etihad is about to be expanded again?

User001

Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:30 pm

neutral wrote:
Would I be right in assuming the talked about Hainan airlines tag on Manchester/Beijing flight is not happening this summer?

It's not happening now, with Hainan focusing on Manchester capacity instead (likely trying to outdo Cathay Pacific).

As noted in the last thread, interestingly, the HU7904 flight was showing on the Dublin arrivals/departures for a few days last month, so it wasn't idle speculation.

Arion640

Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:11 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
AmricanShamrok wrote:
Does anyone know how long it takes AerClub to update your account after you've flown?

My last flight on 8 April from DUB to LHR posted on 12 April.

So far, Aer Club has been fine for me. SuperValu transfers post the next day or day after, flights post within a couple of days. I guess having no balance to speak of was probably a good thing. Are people still having issues?

For reference, the DUB-LHR flight cost something like €59 including selecting 3A and I earned 159 Avios. I'm now up around 8,000 Avios in my EI account.

I don't live in Ireland. But EI CWL-DUB was supposed to give me a paethetic 97 avios. Then they didn't get posted to my BA account and after contacting BA they said the fare wasn't eligible for avios even though it was a similar price to yours and included a selected seat. I didn't bother to chase it further.

It's a bit random of me to come out with this but has anyone ever had a similar problem?

shamrock350

Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:39 pm

I've only used Aer Lingus once since Aer Club launched, a return LHR-ORK earlier this month, I received 513 Avios in total which were posted to my account within a few days so I can't say I've had any problems with it. There's no doubt it's easier to earn on Aer Club, the same flight last year would have got me 200 points if I was lucky!

Living outside of Ireland, I still don't expect much from Aer Club overall but the ability to earn Avios with another airline, especially on short haul, is very welcome.

OA260

Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:47 pm

Arion640 wrote:

I don't live in Ireland. But EI CWL-DUB was supposed to give me a paethetic 97 avios. Then they didn't get posted to my BA account and after contacting BA they said the fare wasn't eligible for avios even though it was a similar price to yours and included a selected seat. I didn't bother to chase it further.

It's a bit random of me to come out with this but has anyone ever had a similar problem?

Some classes are not valid for earning on BA Exec Club even though they would earn in AerClub. Were you booked in one of the below fare buckets?

JAmie2k9

Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:25 am

Thomson will drop Montego Bay after this years schedule which has been reduced from (x6 to x2) so I guess not real surprise. Cancun continues and unchanged in terms of freq.

OA260

Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:09 am

Aviation Authority paying a €9.2m dividend to State after busy 2016

The Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) is paying a €9.2m dividend to the State after making a €39.5m operating profit last year, up 18.3pc on 2015.

The IAA, a semi-state body whose chief executive is Eamonn Brennan, is responsible for managing Irish-controlled airspace and overseeing civil aircraft registration and safety.

It generates 89pc of its fees from the provision of air traffic control and voice communications services to airlines.
Nearly 90pc of all flights travelling between Europe and the United States pass through Irish-controlled airspace.
The IAA's busiest day last year was on June 23, when 1,727 aircraft transited the North Atlantic.

http://www.independent.ie/business/iris ... 43946.html

---

Strengthening Ireland’s links to outside world

Shannon Airport is pushing ahead with a €44m plan meant to ensure its growth

It falls comfortably within its remit, but the Ireland Strategic Investment Fund’s (ISIF) decision to loan €10 million to Shannon Airport to help pay for the renewal of its runway could yet spark speculation about another, much larger, project of the same type.
The money that the State fund will loan to Shannon comes from the €335 million that the Government received for the Republic’s 25 per cent share in Aer Lingus when the former national flag carrier was sold to Willie Walsh’s International Airlines Group in September 2015.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/tran ... -1.3057111

---

dstc47

Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:34 am

OA260 wrote:

-----

Cork Airport forced to close temporarily due to drone flying in the area

According to this reports there have been three recent drone incidents at Cork.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/th ... 48437.html

There is also to be a new very substantial logistics park (aka warehouse) development near Baldonnel, which reminds me that all the previous talk of possible scheduled services from Baldonnel seem as dead as a dodo now. We also have heard little of the "Central Ireland Airport" in recent years.

OA260

Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:03 am

Aer Lingus and DAA call for extra productivity in return for pay hikes

Aer Lingus seeking more than €10 million-worth of productivity gains

Pay talks at both Aer Lingus and the Dublin Airport Authority (DAA) are on a knife edge after both companies hit staff with huge productivity demands in return for any wage increases.
Aer Lingus is seeking more than €10 million worth of productivity gains through savings and working condition changes, while unions at the airport authority are currently balloting members on a 63 page reform proposal.

https://www.businesspost.ie/news/aer-li ... kes-385789

Eirules

Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:37 am

I'd let to get people's opinions...

In the last few years DUB has managed to significantly grow its long haul map with additions such as LAX, SFO, DXB etc. With MIA & DOH soon to come, what are the most LIKELY next routes? Rumours continue to rumble about China but nothing more so is it likely that further transatlantic growth will be the driver?

For me, I see the below;
AA DFW
AC YUL (probably seasonally at first)
EI PIT

kaitak
Topic Author

Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:57 am

I'd say that with the introduction of the A321neoLR, they will probably try out a few more "thin" routes and PIT would probably be one of them, maybe YUL as well. DFW is a possibility, but obviously only with A330s and it would be a codeshare with AA.

As to other routes, SEA might be a possibility and don't forget LAS, which has been mentioned recently as a possible route.

I don't see them heading east at all; if there is to be a Chinese route, it would need to be flown by a Chinese airline; I just don't see EI being prepared to go through all that's need to be done to start a Chinese operation. The big issue, however, is the effect of the ME3; soon QR will be coming in and I really don't think there's room for all three. They (and let's not forget TK) will complete heavily on price and that really rules out any other carrier - at least any "legacy" carrier; the only possibility I see of a direct route to Asia would be one of the long haul low cost carriers - Scoot, Norwegian, LEVEL or another.

To me, this is the next big thing - and all "legacy" carriers, including EI will have to review their cost effectiveness and the way they operate. People were mad at BA for suggesting that they'd need to start charging for meals, but that's the way the industry is going. What does this have to do with new routes for EI; on the face of it, not a lot, but once one of these new long haulers takes root in DUB - and it will happen - there will be a lot of changes; it will affect routes, service and frequency and EI will be well aware of this. It might well be that there will be a period of consolidation, as EI adjusts its service product to anticipate this new reality, or even forestall the arrival of new carriers, but change is coming ...

JAmie2k9

Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:26 pm

Realistically it will be between AC/EI to open YUL and YYC. I will call it now that it's hihglty likely EI will go for a service to Canada in 2018 along iwth a low freq US service in 2018 or for example boost MIA and or other services.

I don't see AA/EI doing DFW in 2018.

Will also have to see what DY might have in store,
Last edited by JAmie2k9 on Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAmie2k9

Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:28 pm

kaitak wrote:
I'd say that with the introduction of the A321neoLR, they will probably try out a few more "thin" routes and PIT would probably be one of them, maybe YUL as well. DFW is a possibility, but obviously only with A330s and it would be a codeshare with AA.

As to other routes, SEA might be a possibility and don't forget LAS, which has been mentioned recently as a possible route.

I don't see them heading east at all; if there is to be a Chinese route, it would need to be flown by a Chinese airline; I just don't see EI being prepared to go through all that's need to be done to start a Chinese operation. The big issue, however, is the effect of the ME3; soon QR will be coming in and I really don't think there's room for all three. They (and let's not forget TK) will complete heavily on price and that really rules out any other carrier - at least any "legacy" carrier; the only possibility I see of a direct route to Asia would be one of the long haul low cost carriers - Scoot, Norwegian, LEVEL or another.

To me, this is the next big thing - and all "legacy" carriers, including EI will have to review their cost effectiveness and the way they operate. People were mad at BA for suggesting that they'd need to start charging for meals, but that's the way the industry is going. What does this have to do with new routes for EI; on the face of it, not a lot, but once one of these new long haulers takes root in DUB - and it will happen - there will be a lot of changes; it will affect routes, service and frequency and EI will be well aware of this. It might well be that there will be a period of consolidation, as EI adjusts its service product to anticipate this new reality, or even forestall the arrival of new carriers, but change is coming ...

Seat only fare will come from 2018, almost guarantee it. Said it the minute DY announced DUB, and EI said it a few weeks after.

commavia

Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:30 pm

kaitak wrote:
DFW is a possibility, but obviously only with A330s and it would be a codeshare with AA.

JAmie2k9 wrote:

Not sure if it will happen next year, but assuming there isn't a major global economic or political shock, I personally regard DFW-DUB as a matter of "when" and not "if" once Aer Lingus is integrated into the AA/IAG transatlantic ATI/JV.

OA260

Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:39 pm

commavia wrote:
I personally regard DFW-DUB as a matter of "when" and not "if" once Aer Lingus is integrated into the AA/IAG transatlantic ATI/JV.

Pretty much it will happen.

JAmie2k9

Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:30 pm

commavia wrote:
kaitak wrote:
DFW is a possibility, but obviously only with A330s and it would be a codeshare with AA.

JAmie2k9 wrote:

Not sure if it will happen next year, but assuming there isn't a major global economic or political shock, I personally regard DFW-DUB as a matter of "when" and not "if" once Aer Lingus is integrated into the AA/IAG transatlantic ATI/JV.

In time yes, but like EI re joining OW, AA code share it will be at glacial pace. Depending on 2019 growth it in terms of aircraft it could well be 2020 before you see it. It's a route that carriers far greater risks for EI over others even with the AA hub at the end. Much better options that would have far greater appeal to EI.

OA260

Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:25 am

Major airline event in Belfast raises new flight hopes

A major conference involving the airline industry is being held in Belfast, with Northern Ireland airports hoping to secure new flights.

Around 1,200 people are attending Routes Europe at the Waterfront Hall. The conference is held annually in different cities.

The three-day event begins on Sunday and brings together airline executives.

The organisers believe it is "a brilliant opportunity" to showcase the Northern Ireland tourism sector.

It is seen as having the potential to expand air connectivity - previous host cities report several new routes were agreed as a result of holding the event.

Ryanair, easyJet, Lufthansa, Air France and British Airways are among the many airlines taking part.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-39668619

---

DAA to unveil pint-sized pub and visitor experience at Dublin Airport

A new Irish-themed pub and visitor experience at Dublin Airport is about to be unveiled by DAA.

Billed by DAA bosses as a pint-sized version of the Guinness Storehouse experience, the outlet will offer passengers tasting sessions and a 'tour' of Irish-brewed beers.
The Irish beer 'tour experience' and beer sampling will be run on a ticketed "by appointment" basis rather than as an open bar, it is believed. The concept will be housed in a newly revamped 132 sqm outlet at The Loop retail zone in Terminal 2.
A DAA spokeswoman declined to comment on the plans, which are believed to be at an advanced stage. The DAA retail outlet secured an alcohol license from Revenue in recent weeks to sell a range of drink brands at the new outlet, it is believed.
T2 contains about 9,000 sqm of retail and food and beverage outlets. The DAA's income from retail activity at Dublin Airport helps subsidise passenger charges. Each of the retail outlets at The Loop pay the DAA a concession fee based on a percentage of annual sales rather than a fixed annual rent.

http://www.independent.ie/business/daa- ... 43783.html

---

Dublin and Cork airports set for €13m upgrade of 'explosive detection' system

A Massive overhaul of baggage handling systems at Dublin and Cork Airports to deal with new explosive detection requirements under EU rules is being kick-started by the DAA.

The airports authority has previously estimated that the upgrade at Dublin Airport alone will cost around €13m.
Semi-State DAA has said the project will be "challenging and complex" and will require significant planning while minimising the impact to airport operations and security.
The DAA, whose CEO is Kevin Toland, said the new equipment that will be installed is likely to have an impact not only on its baggage systems and terminal infrastructure, but also on the screening process and baggage operations.
The baggage screening systems at Dublin's Terminal 2 - from which most of the airport's flights to North America operate - is set to be upgraded by 2020, with the work beginning next year.
It's anticipated that work at Terminal 1 will be started in 2019 and finished by 2023.
At Cork Airport, the new installation is also slated to begin in 2019 and be completed by 2023.

http://www.independent.ie/business/dubl ... 33780.html

metalinyoni

Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:38 am

Eirules wrote:
I'd let to get people's opinions...

In the last few years DUB has managed to significantly grow its long haul map with additions such as LAX, SFO, DXB etc. With MIA & DOH soon to come, what are the most LIKELY next routes? Rumours continue to rumble about China but nothing more so is it likely that further transatlantic growth will be the driver?

For me, I see the below;
AA DFW
AC YUL (probably seasonally at first)
EI PIT

What about CPT?

Zachbt

Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:20 pm

Rumour has it that BFS is due to get an announcement of 8 new international routes on 26th April with one of the routes not currently operated from any of the airports on the island of ireland. Interesting times ahead for the northern gateway.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... sf72763497

JAmie2k9

Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:41 pm

Zachbt wrote:
Rumour has it that BFS is due to get an announcement of 8 new international routes on 26th April with one of the routes not currently operated from any of the airports on the island of ireland. Interesting times ahead for the northern gateway.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... sf72763497

Reported Jet 2 basing a fourth aircraft, so bucket and spade routes and likely to be a Greek or Paphos service not served ex DUB. I can;t see it been Euro city routes given they barley lasted a year with Jet 2 recent attempt.

Zachbt

Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:04 pm

JAmie2k9 wrote:
Reported Jet 2 basing a fourth aircraft, so bucket and spade routes and likely to be a Greek or Paphos service not served ex DUB. I can;t see it been Euro city routes given they barley lasted a year with Jet 2 recent attempt.

Yeah when I looked into it further does just sound like jet2 basing a sparkly new 737-800, imagination was just going into overdrive what with routes Europe being on in the waterfront.

Cryptic message though I found on that flight global report from BFS MD Graham Keddie saying one of the routes will be flown with a union flag on the tail, possibly BA city flyer weekend utilisation but strange it would be BFS and not BHD.

On an aside Belfast as a whole is terrible for keeping Euro city routes, was recently on the SN BHD-BRU before it was axed and I nearly had the whole plane to myself, well maybe that's an over exaggeration load was probably 60% but just goes to show that northerners just like to use local airports for seasonal summer holidays and using ryanair and easyjet as a bus service over to mainland uk.

lesfalls

Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:18 pm

OA260 wrote:

I had a friend on that flight. He said that he had to wait 3 hours at the gate and an extra 2 on the plane. A passanger even got arrested he told me. He also said that EI handeld it really badly. One of the biggest problems was that they weren't going to have an extra flight the next day and would squeeze everyone into the already scheduled flights. Thankfully he left the following day.

JAmie2k9

Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:19 pm

lesfalls wrote:
OA260 wrote:

I had a friend on that flight. He said that he had to wait 3 hours at the gate and an extra 2 on the plane. A passanger even got arrested he told me. He also said that EI handeld it really badly. One of the biggest problems was that they weren't going to have an extra flight the next day and would squeeze everyone into the already scheduled flights. Thankfully he left the following day.

The reason they were kept on the aircraft is because US authorities in DUB are not keen on passengers who have already on-board been allowed back into the terminal.
Aer Lingus and handling disruption is an area which requires improvement.

JAmie2k9

Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:27 pm

Zachbt wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:

Yeah when I looked into it further does just sound like jet2 basing a sparkly new 737-800, imagination was just going into overdrive what with routes Europe being on in the waterfront.

Cryptic message though I found on that flight global report from BFS MD Graham Keddie saying one of the routes will be flown with a union flag on the tail, possibly BA city flyer weekend utilisation but strange it would be BFS and not BHD.

On an aside Belfast as a whole is terrible for keeping Euro city routes, was recently on the SN BHD-BRU before it was axed and I nearly had the whole plane to myself, well maybe that's an over exaggeration load was probably 60% but just goes to show that northerners just like to use local airports for seasonal summer holidays and using ryanair and easyjet as a bus service over to mainland uk.

Would be way to early for BA Cityflyer to launch 2018 summer routes. NI travel trends are more less repeated across the island. They all have UK routes, Amsterdam and Paris connection plus bucket and spade.

OA260

Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:54 pm

lesfalls wrote:
OA260 wrote:

Sorry to hear that. Sadly over the last few years when things go wrong EI are not as flexible or good as they once were. Especially at out stations where the handling agent does not care as they have no loyalty to EI passengers. I have often heard that they blame EI proceedures to why they cant help but it really is an excuse to get out of it and pass the buck. On the other hand I hear people who say EI do indeed heavily restrict what handling agents can have authority to do which has in the past left passengers on the floor overnight in foreign airports. It is certainly something that needs to be improved.

With regards pre order I finally got someone to tell me the truth as to why I cant pre book meals on the majority of my flights. EI quietly axed it yet it still advertises it on the booking email confirmation. At least now we now its gone and only the upgraded meals TATL can be pre ordered. Again a bit of a good aspect of the product gone.

JAmie2k9

Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:53 am

DY due to use pre clearance from both DUB and SNN.

OA260

Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:18 am

New flights, new routes and more passengers to take-off from Belfast International Airport
Announcement set to create new jobs at transport hub

Eight new flights - including six new routes - are being added at Belfast International Airport, creating around 50 jobs.

It's understood the routes will be a mixture of sun routes, including a city destination. The full details are due to be announced on Wednesday.
It's believed an additional 100,000 seats will be added a year with the introduction of the new links.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/busin ... 48777.html

AmricanShamrok

Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:38 am

JAmie2k9 wrote:

This was something I was keeping an eye on as SNN has been actively advertising all its US routes (including SWF and PVD) with the preclearance tagline. I thought this may have been an error as I couldn't see D8 using it (it costs more than clearing CBP on arrival in the US). Good to see.

Will Norwegian consolidate all its operations at DUB in Terminal 2? Or just the preclearance flights?

JAmie2k9

Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:38 am

AmricanShamrok wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:

This was something I was keeping an eye on as SNN has been actively advertising all its US routes (including SWF and PVD) with the preclearance tagline. I thought this may have been an error as I couldn't see D8 using it (it costs more than clearing CBP on arrival in the US). Good to see.

Will Norwegian consolidate all its operations at DUB in Terminal 2? Or just the preclearance flights?

Not sure what the finer details are at DUB, but its almost certain they will use it now. Cannot see full T2 ops, chances are just US departures could be from 400 gates with perhaps either terminal used for check in. The arrivals will be give T1 stands given the time of day.

They use 100 gates for short haul so lot of costs with a full move.

Very surprised they are using it but could be a case of the US side allocation to those airports which is behind it or they feel its a necessary cost to bear because of the competition.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos