qf789
Crew
Topic Author
Posts: 2195
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2017

Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:28 am

Flyingsottsman wrote:
MH examing the continued viability of the DRW-KUL flight.

What have they been flying into Darwin 330 or 737s?


DRW receives 737-800's
Forum Moderator
 
Qantas16
Posts: 244
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:51 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2017

Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:36 am

qf789 wrote:
Flyingsottsman wrote:
MH examing the continued viability of the DRW-KUL flight.

What have they been flying into Darwin 330 or 737s?


DRW receives 737-800's


Only 3x weekly too. Main competition would come from MI & JQ to SIN and the onwards connections available from there. I couldn't imagine it's ever been a highly profitable route but would be a shame to see them close it.
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 6779
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2017

Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:38 am

Qantas16 wrote:
Anyone know if it's possible to book a ZL/VA connecting ticket?


Sadly not. ZL and VA interline baggage if you ask, but that's all. We are unable to issue ZL sectors on 795 ticket stock.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
Flyingsottsman
Posts: 622
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:32 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2017

Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:45 am

TheGeordielad wrote:
How's Singapore airlines doing at Adelaide?
At first I didn't realise they flew to Adelaide


They seem to be doing good, been flying to Adelaide for 3 decades, I first trip to Europe in 1985 I flew SQ Melbourne to Singapore via Adelaide, I think its the Cargo run that they have stopped flying to Adelaide now.
 
a340BHXE
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:48 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2017

Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:32 pm

If I recall correctly, Singapore were the first regular international carrier flying out of Adelaide. Sadly the Singapore Cargo flights have gone meaning the opportunity to see a 747-400 in Adelaide is very remote. Lucky to have seen an Atlas 747-400F last Monday on a charter.
 
User avatar
A330freak
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:28 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2017

Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:08 am

Hainan Airlines on 10APR17 applied for following w/ CAAC from Nov 2017:2 wk Haikou - Sydney

https://twitter.com/Airlineroute/status ... 4962871297
 
qf789
Crew
Topic Author
Posts: 2195
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2017

Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:13 am

A VARA flight from Onslow to PER has been put into lock down after a mystery white powder was found in a overhead locker. As a precaution passengers on the flight have been quarantined

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western ... 9422613dc2
Forum Moderator
 
luftaom
Posts: 731
Joined: Thu May 20, 1999 4:29 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2017

Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:52 am

737s - late evening KUL-DRW with a return leaving DRW in the early hours of the morning. Like the vast bulk of the Darwin flights - back of the clock when the plane would otherwise be sat on the ground because there are more profitable ways to deploy the plane during the day.

I've been out of DRW for a couple of years now - but the odd MH A330F used to turn up on a charter once in a while.
airliners.net's passenger - simultaneously connecting and flying direct.
 
qf789
Crew
Topic Author
Posts: 2195
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2017

Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:20 am

The powder that was found on a VARA flight earlier today is suspected to be protein powder

https://au.news.yahoo.com/wa/a/34998869 ... ght/#page1
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
Goodbye
Posts: 860
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2001 1:41 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2017

Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:25 pm

qf789 wrote:
The powder that was found on a VARA flight earlier today is suspected to be protein powder

https://au.news.yahoo.com/wa/a/34998869 ... ght/#page1


Well it's good the authorities muscled in. :duck:
✈︎
 
qf789
Crew
Topic Author
Posts: 2195
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2017

Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:13 am

SYD is the favoured for the inaugural flight in Oct 17 for SQ for the first of the new A380's it will receive with the new first and business class products

https://www.ausbt.com.au/singapore-airl ... in-october
Forum Moderator
 
qf789
Crew
Topic Author
Posts: 2195
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2017

Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:29 am

VA is expected to turn on WIFI on for passenger use towards the end of next week

https://www.ausbt.com.au/virgin-austral ... -next-week
Forum Moderator
 
qf789
Crew
Topic Author
Posts: 2195
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2017

Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:45 am

Tour company to use QF 744 for private round the world charter. The inaugural flight is expected to take flight from 22 April 2018 to 12 May 2018 from SYD. It is expected it will offer 4 classes so one of the 2 oldest 744's would be used, either VH-OEB or VH-OJM

http://australianaviation.com.au/2017/0 ... d-charter/
Forum Moderator
 
345tas
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:05 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2017

Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:41 am

I'm a total novice on actual piloting stuff - is this a serious event?

"The Australian Transport Safety Bureau has opened a serious incident investigation after a “stick shaker” stall warning activated on a Qantas Boeing 747 flight, during which 15 passengers were injured including one who was taken to hospital."

"The aircraft was 110km southeast of Hong Kong at 22,000 feet when the control stick on the 17-year-old 747 began ­vibrating. Qantas said the shaking lasted about two minutes. Fifteen passengers were slightly injured. She said an ambulance met the plane and one passenger was taken to hospital for “precautionary medical assessment” and later released."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busines ... 7f0bb4b509

Also, kudos for having a picture of the actual aircraft in question, not a picture of a 717 with an ancient livery or something like that.
 
PA515
Posts: 1036
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:17 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2017

Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:31 pm

345tas wrote:
I'm a total novice on actual piloting stuff - is this a serious event?

Yes, and for 2 mins. QF29 MEL-HKG 07 Apr 2017 was VH-OJU.
The speed goes down to 294 kts at 0947UTC then increases to 399 kts at 0948UTC.
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airc ... ju#cfac28c

PA515
 
qf789
Crew
Topic Author
Posts: 2195
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2017

Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:43 pm

PA515 wrote:
345tas wrote:
I'm a total novice on actual piloting stuff - is this a serious event?

Yes, and for 2 mins. QF29 MEL-HKG 07 Apr 2017 was VH-OJU.
The speed goes down to 294 kts at 0947UTC then increases to 399 kts at 0948UTC.
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airc ... ju#cfac28c

PA515


Avherald suggests it got down to 290 knots and above 400 knots

Data off the ADS-B capable transponder of the aircraft suggest the aircraft was descending to enter the hold at about 340 knots over ground on a track of 315 degrees, when descending through FL229 at 17:47L (09:47Z) the speed decayed to 290 knots over ground still on a track of 315 degrees before increasing to above 400 knots over ground in altitude fluctuations between FL214 and FL230 before levelling off at FL220 at 390 knots over ground subsequently reducing to 340 knots over ground.


http://www.avherald.com/h?article=4a787699&opt=0
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
Zkpilot
Posts: 3916
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:21 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2017

Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:23 am

PA515 wrote:
345tas wrote:
I'm a total novice on actual piloting stuff - is this a serious event?

Yes, and for 2 mins. QF29 MEL-HKG 07 Apr 2017 was VH-OJU.
The speed goes down to 294 kts at 0947UTC then increases to 399 kts at 0948UTC.
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airc ... ju#cfac28c

PA515

Apparently it was while on Auto-pilot (which of course is standard about 10,000ft) so either the auto-pilot freaked out, the pilots changed a setting on the autopilot, or they encountered something like wind-shear. I didn't include a loss of engine power as if that had happened then that would have already come out you would think.
57 types. 38 countries. 24 airlines.
 
qf789
Crew
Topic Author
Posts: 2195
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2017

Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:15 am

AA will downgrade SYD-LAX from 77W to 787-9 from 10 November 17 (8 November departure from LAX)

https://www.ausbt.com.au/american-airli ... y-la-route
Forum Moderator
 
qf789
Crew
Topic Author
Posts: 2195
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2017

Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:27 am

ATSB has released preliminary report into the propeller that detached from a REX flight last month. The cause of the detachment of the propeller is due to a fatigue fracture which had started within the so-called mounting flange of the propeller's gear box, before spreading to a shaft section.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/cracks-found- ... vk7fw.html
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 4500
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2017

Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:40 am

American Airlines brings Boeing 787 onto Sydney-LA route

American Airlines will shift its Sydney-Los Angeles flights to a Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner in November 2017.

https://www.ausbt.com.au/american-airli ... y-la-route

Not a big drop in capacity 25 seats to be exact but I certainly miss the B77W :(

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
qf789
Crew
Topic Author
Posts: 2195
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2017

Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:24 am

EK413 wrote:
American Airlines brings Boeing 787 onto Sydney-LA route

American Airlines will shift its Sydney-Los Angeles flights to a Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner in November 2017.

https://www.ausbt.com.au/american-airli ... y-la-route

Not a big drop in capacity 25 seats to be exact but I certainly miss the B77W :(

EK413


According to another thread AA LAX-SYD is suffering from QF/AA JV that got rejected hence it be downgraded to the 789

In a DL thread its been reported by some of those from an internal memo at DL that they have reservations of the A350 performance on LAX-SYD and looks like it will stay 77L for the time being. Also of note BNE has briefly been mentioned as a 2nd Australian destination for DL.
Forum Moderator
 
qf789
Crew
Topic Author
Posts: 2195
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2017

Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:28 am

Asiana to operate A380 seasonally to SYD in NW18 from 1 Dec 17 to 28 Feb 18

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... f-12apr17/
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 4500
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2017

Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:06 am

qf789 wrote:
EK413 wrote:
American Airlines brings Boeing 787 onto Sydney-LA route

American Airlines will shift its Sydney-Los Angeles flights to a Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner in November 2017.

https://www.ausbt.com.au/american-airli ... y-la-route

Not a big drop in capacity 25 seats to be exact but I certainly miss the B77W :(

EK413


According to another thread AA LAX-SYD is suffering from QF/AA JV that got rejected hence it be downgraded to the 789

In a DL thread its been reported by some of those from an internal memo at DL that they have reservations of the A350 performance on LAX-SYD and looks like it will stay 77L for the time being. Also of note BNE has briefly been mentioned as a 2nd Australian destination for DL.


I just saw your post further up in the thread I'll request my post be deleted.

My thoughts exactly the JV is the direct cause :( Sydney is quickly becoming a Dream)liner destination really disappointing!

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
kriskim
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:44 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2017

Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:49 pm

Well if the JV is approved, both AA and QF are pushing for it, we may see AA launch MEL, so the question is, is the downgrade possibly preparing for a MEL launch? Apparently, internally MEL is all but ready to go subject to the JV being approved!

qf789 wrote:
Asiana to operate A380 seasonally to SYD in NW18 from 1 Dec 17 to 28 Feb 18

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... f-12apr17/


All the Korean airlines pouring capacity into Australia and MEL doesn't even get taste. :crying:
it's time to visit Melbourne! ;)
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 6779
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2017

Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:23 pm

kriskim wrote:
Well if the JV is approved, both AA and QF are pushing for it, we may see AA launch MEL, so the question is, is the downgrade possibly preparing for a MEL launch? Apparently, internally MEL is all but ready to go subject to the JV being approved


To be honest I think they've moved on, and we now see Qantas increasing to double daily. Had it been approved 12 months ago then AA would most likely already be in Melbourne, now I'm not convinced they ever will. I don't think QF will be willing to give up their frequency this time around. I don't know how they are going in SFO, but it is notable that SFO runs at a pronounced yield disadvantage to LAX.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
qantas747
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2000 12:51 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2017

Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:07 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
kriskim wrote:
Well if the JV is approved, both AA and QF are pushing for it, we may see AA launch MEL, so the question is, is the downgrade possibly preparing for a MEL launch? Apparently, internally MEL is all but ready to go subject to the JV being approved


To be honest I think they've moved on, and we now see Qantas increasing to double daily. Had it been approved 12 months ago then AA would most likely already be in Melbourne, now I'm not convinced they ever will. I don't think QF will be willing to give up their frequency this time around. I don't know how they are going in SFO, but it is notable that SFO runs at a pronounced yield disadvantage to LAX.


Mate, QF are not too worries about frequency on LAX. If the new JV gets approved you will see QF start MEL- DFW with 789s and AA to do MEL-LAX with their 789s.

My questions are what might happen in BNE.
Does BNE go dual 789s to LAX and DFW, does AA look to start BNE-LAX enabling QF to downgauge to 789s? Perhaps BNE gets upgauged to 380

VA have dropped some capacity up there which is why DL might come in, but is there enough yield there for three carriers? I suspect not. I wonder how the overnight flight ex BNE will fare for VA. Its only 1x pw but could be something that evolves further (and avoids having planes parked for the day in LAX)
 
bunumuring
Posts: 1973
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:56 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2017

Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:18 am

Qantas747, in another thread in the forum there is a discussion about a leaked memo re the A350's supposed inability to achieve the performance Delta wants for LAX-SYD. Apparently the same memo (or another one, I can't recall) mentions possible Delta flights to BNE .... So watch this space!
Cheers,
Bunumuring
I just wanna live while I'm alive!
 
Qantas16
Posts: 244
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:51 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2017

Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:10 am

bunumuring wrote:
Qantas747, in another thread in the forum there is a discussion about a leaked memo re the A350's supposed inability to achieve the performance Delta wants for LAX-SYD. Apparently the same memo (or another one, I can't recall) mentions possible Delta flights to BNE .... So watch this space!
Cheers,
Bunumuring


Why would DL want to serve BNE when they have a partnership with VA who are on the route 6x weekly? Would make more sense if it was from another US destination.

That all being said, would love to see DL at BNE!
 
User avatar
eta unknown
Posts: 1865
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 5:03 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2017

Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:15 am

I'd imagine DL would take over the LAX-BNE service and VA would go daily on LAX-MEL.
 
ZK-NBT
Posts: 5372
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2000 5:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2017

Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:39 am

Qantas16 wrote:
bunumuring wrote:
Qantas747, in another thread in the forum there is a discussion about a leaked memo re the A350's supposed inability to achieve the performance Delta wants for LAX-SYD. Apparently the same memo (or another one, I can't recall) mentions possible Delta flights to BNE .... So watch this space!
Cheers,
Bunumuring


Why would DL want to serve BNE when they have a partnership with VA who are on the route 6x weekly? Would make more sense if it was from another US destination.

That all being said, would love to see DL at BNE!



DL has hubs also at SEA, ATL, DTW, I'm not sure I would see them serving anywhere in OZ from any of those points. They were said to be looking at LAX-MEL but VA are now back on that aswell. DL could maybe run LAX-AKL to give the VA alliance access to NZ that way but UA have gone seasonal to AKL and AA will stop for 2 months aswell.

Re QF/AA MEL-LAX, it was said that AA were going to announce LAX-MEL when the JV was approved which it wasn't, I think QF would have announced MEL-DFW if that had been the case but for now they have decided to increase LAX.

Agree BNE will be interesting as the 744's leave, will they have some spare A380 capacity when PER-LHR starts? Or will we see 789's BNE-LAX and BNE-DFW? Again if the JV goes through later I could see AA on LAX-BNE to make up the capacity.
 
Gemuser
Posts: 4540
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:07 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2017

Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:35 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
Agree BNE will be interesting as the 744's leave, will they have some spare A380 capacity when PER-LHR starts?

Why would PER-LHR free up A380 capacity? I doubt there will be any impact on QF 1/2 or 9/10 once that service settles down, as it simply offers no better, if not worse, service than they do, especially to SYD if the B789 come out of MEL, as speculated

Gemuser
 
ZK-NBT
Posts: 5372
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2000 5:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2017

Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:58 am

Exactly that Gemuser. I'm one who thinks there is a good chance QF drop MEL-DXB-LHR and replace it with MEL-PER-LHR. QF have said several times LHR is tough, I think when/if we have SYD/MEL-LHR then QF will actually look to add extra LHR flights with PER-LHR plus maybe a 4th daily via DXB with an A380 still or will they try BNE-LHR aswell?
 
AsiaTravel
Posts: 159
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:28 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2017

Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:48 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
Exactly that Gemuser. I'm one who thinks there is a good chance QF drop MEL-DXB-LHR and replace it with MEL-PER-LHR.


I would think the opposite: a lot of people fly SYD/MEL-DXB on Qantas and then connect on a Emirates flight, I do it all the time. Conversely, I sometime fly LHR-DXD on QF2/10 and then DXB-PER on Emirates.

You have to consider the whole capacity between Europe and Australia with Emirates and Qantas rather than the O&D market between MEL/SYD/PER and LHR and don't forget that Emirates has 38 destinations in Europe.
Beside, adding 236 one way seats a day to LHR is just a 4% increase of the current capacity on the DXB-LHR route, a drop in the ocean.
 
ZK-NBT
Posts: 5372
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2000 5:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2017

Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:18 am

AsiaTravel wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
Exactly that Gemuser. I'm one who thinks there is a good chance QF drop MEL-DXB-LHR and replace it with MEL-PER-LHR.


I would think the opposite: a lot of people fly SYD/MEL-DXB on Qantas and then connect on a Emirates flight, I do it all the time. Conversely, I sometime fly LHR-DXD on QF2/10 and then DXB-PER on Emirates.

You have to consider the whole capacity between Europe and Australia with Emirates and Qantas rather than the O&D market between MEL/SYD/PER and LHR and don't forget that Emirates has 38 destinations in Europe.
Beside, adding 236 one way seats a day to LHR is just a 4% increase of the current capacity on the DXB-LHR route, a drop in the ocean.


QF may keep MEL-DXB I guess but they could hand it to EK. The main reason for the alliance is EK have as you say 38 destinations in Europe.
 
Gemuser
Posts: 4540
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:07 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2017

Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:11 pm

ZK-NBT wrote:
Exactly that Gemuser. I'm one who thinks there is a good chance QF drop MEL-DXB-LHR and replace it with MEL-PER-LHR. QF have said several times LHR is tough, I think when/if we have SYD/MEL-LHR then QF will actually look to add extra LHR flights with PER-LHR plus maybe a 4th daily via DXB with an A380 still or will they try BNE-LHR aswell?

IMHO a B789 MEL-PER-LHR would not have the capacity to replace QF 9/10. It would not offer enough full Y fares, let alone cheaper fares and the political fall out if SYD had cheaper fares than MEL would be incredible. Worse case QF 9/10 might be cut back to DXB, but I doubt it.
Now if SYD/MEL becomes feasible, IMHO PER-LHR will go away and the four LHR services will be 2 x SYD/MEL-LHR & the current A380s on QF 1/2 & 9/10. I would hope to see BNE/PER/ADL-DXB connecting into QF 1/2 & 9/10 @DXB. The non stops will take most of the premium traffic and the one stoppers the lower yield passengers to the UK and European connecting passengers. Given that QF will have no competition on the non stoppers [but will have a BA code share] it should be very profitable, provided they can get the yield.

Gemuser
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 6779
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2017

Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:23 pm

qantas747 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
kriskim wrote:
Well if the JV is approved, both AA and QF are pushing for it, we may see AA launch MEL, so the question is, is the downgrade possibly preparing for a MEL launch? Apparently, internally MEL is all but ready to go subject to the JV being approved


To be honest I think they've moved on, and we now see Qantas increasing to double daily. Had it been approved 12 months ago then AA would most likely already be in Melbourne, now I'm not convinced they ever will. I don't think QF will be willing to give up their frequency this time around. I don't know how they are going in SFO, but it is notable that SFO runs at a pronounced yield disadvantage to LAX.


Mate, QF are not too worries about frequency on LAX. If the new JV gets approved you will see QF start MEL- DFW with 789s and AA to do MEL-LAX with their 789s.

My questions are what might happen in BNE.
Does BNE go dual 789s to LAX and DFW, does AA look to start BNE-LAX enabling QF to downgauge to 789s? Perhaps BNE gets upgauged to 380

VA have dropped some capacity up there which is why DL might come in, but is there enough yield there for three carriers? I suspect not. I wonder how the overnight flight ex BNE will fare for VA. Its only 1x pw but could be something that evolves further (and avoids having planes parked for the day in LAX)


My question is more about what happens if the JB does not get approved. With no JV AA will not launch MEL, and I don't see MEL-DFW in the next 2-3 years. If it does get approved then I could see it eventuating as you suggest.

DL to BNE once they have A350s on property, replacing VA, I could actually see. It would free up a 77W to make MEL daily and even run peak season additional frequencies ex-SYD (maybe 10 weekely December, January).

There are two factors that I think could make this happen:

1) overcapacity in BNE, rightisizing the market with a smaller aircraft

2) Delta is still not in compliance with their pilot contract, where too much JBA flying is flown by partner carriers. Delta pilots have it written into their contract that they get a minimum amount of flying, written in to prevent DL outsourcing long haul flying. A long route like BNE-LAX would do a lot more to add ASMs to the Delta network than, for example, replacing AF on on JFK-CDG route.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
User avatar
eta unknown
Posts: 1865
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 5:03 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2017

Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:59 pm

I don't think BNE-DFW is on the cards and the 789 will take over BNE-LAX daily- not twice daily. Yes it's less capacity than the 744 but it will enable QF to just carry the higher yield traffic and leave the low hanging fruit to NZ/FJ/HA.
 
Obzerva
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:48 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2017

Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:11 am

If DL was to go to BNE, the freed up aircraft could be used to not only have MEL-LAX as daily, but could also help to tidy up the MEL-HKG schedule, although maybe a 777 might be too much aircraft for HKG for VA.
 
User avatar
eta unknown
Posts: 1865
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 5:03 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2017

Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:56 am

777 definitely way too much- for VA, not necessarily CX or QF. Ideally DL take over LAX-BNE (can a 777ER do it instead of the SYD LR?), VA operate LAX-MEL daily and whatever 777 capacity is left add a second LAX-SYD flight on certain days.
 
AsiaTravel
Posts: 159
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:28 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2017

Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:37 am

eta unknown wrote:
777 definitely way too much- for VA, not necessarily CX or QF. Ideally DL take over LAX-BNE (can a 777ER do it instead of the SYD LR?), VA operate LAX-MEL daily and whatever 777 capacity is left add a second LAX-SYD flight on certain days.


The 772ER probably can, I remember that United used to send them on SFO-SYD.
 
Obzerva
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:48 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2017

Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:38 am

eta unknown wrote:
777 definitely way too much- for VA, not necessarily CX or QF. Ideally DL take over LAX-BNE (can a 777ER do it instead of the SYD LR?), VA operate LAX-MEL daily and whatever 777 capacity is left add a second LAX-SYD flight on certain days.


If there's too much capacity to the US, depending on how nicely SQ wanted to play, they could do a few days to SIN in lieu of, or supplementing SQ (code sharing obviously) with the 777 - similar arrangement to how it was used for SYD-AUH with EY but much closer to home and more flexibility.
 
qf789
Crew
Topic Author
Posts: 2195
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2017

Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:22 am

From 2 June 17 Scoot will operate a split schedule into PER

TZ008 SIN1220 – 1725PER 789 246
TZ018 SIN1500 – 2005PER 788 x246

TZ007 PER1835 – 2345SIN 789 246
TZ017 PER2110 – 0230+1SIN 788 x246

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... june-2017/
Forum Moderator
 
sq256
Posts: 108
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:37 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2017

Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:03 am

eta unknown wrote:
I don't think BNE-DFW is on the cards and the 789 will take over BNE-LAX daily- not twice daily. Yes it's less capacity than the 744 but it will enable QF to just carry the higher yield traffic and leave the low hanging fruit to NZ/FJ/HA.


I suspect it would be more than daily but less than twice-daily if QF's BNE-LAX goes 789 full time (more likely getting slots for 9x or 10x weekly).

Also, the 789 seating config would have to be slightly different to the MEL-PER-LHR/MEL-LAX 789s (probably more Y and W) to "right-size" it for BNE-LAX.
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 6779
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2017

Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:35 am

sq256 wrote:
The 789 seating config would have to be slightly different to the MEL-PER-LHR/MEL-LAX 789s (probably more Y and W) to "right-size" it for BNE-LAX.


With just 8 frames I highly doubt that they would add sub-fleets with different configurations. It adds too much complexity to an already small fleet. If/when they order more frames then I agree that we will probably see a less premium configuration. It would be perfect for BNE-LAX and SYD-SFO, but I expect both routes to remain 747 for the foreseeable future.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
ZK-NBT
Posts: 5372
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2000 5:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2017

Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:35 am

sq256 wrote:
eta unknown wrote:
I don't think BNE-DFW is on the cards and the 789 will take over BNE-LAX daily- not twice daily. Yes it's less capacity than the 744 but it will enable QF to just carry the higher yield traffic and leave the low hanging fruit to NZ/FJ/HA.


I suspect it would be more than daily but less than twice-daily if QF's BNE-LAX goes 789 full time (more likely getting slots for 9x or 10x weekly).

Also, the 789 seating config would have to be slightly different to the MEL-PER-LHR/MEL-LAX 789s (probably more Y and W) to "right-size" it for BNE-LAX.


Hard to no re configuration. The first 789's will have 42J vs 58 on the 744 but only 166Y vs 270 on the 744, W is 28 on the 789 32 on the 744. For Asian routes I could see the 78X for QF with 2 classes but there are some routes that might need more range than the 78X offers or won't need that many seats, will they have a second 3 class 789 config with say 28J 28W 220Y which can be used on a range of routes? It's not many J seats for LAX, SFO but the Asian routes they could go on don't have W.
 
n729pa
Posts: 800
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2017

Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:51 am

Does any know the actual date the PER-LHR-PER service will be formally announced (ie times etc) and open for bookings? Keep hearing April 17 but nothing so far.
 
qantas747
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2000 12:51 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2017

Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:31 pm

n729pa wrote:
Does any know the actual date the PER-LHR-PER service will be formally announced (ie times etc) and open for bookings? Keep hearing April 17 but nothing so far.


QF only ever said fares announced in April. I think they missed a great PR opportunity not releasing it before easter. They could have owened all the family talk over easter "did you hear about the qantas direct flights to london.. etc" people would have had more time to look at booking a trip too as their focus would not be on work.. it should be any day now though!
 
smi0006
Posts: 1233
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2017

Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:23 pm

ZK-NBT wrote:
sq256 wrote:
eta unknown wrote:
I don't think BNE-DFW is on the cards and the 789 will take over BNE-LAX daily- not twice daily. Yes it's less capacity than the 744 but it will enable QF to just carry the higher yield traffic and leave the low hanging fruit to NZ/FJ/HA.


I suspect it would be more than daily but less than twice-daily if QF's BNE-LAX goes 789 full time (more likely getting slots for 9x or 10x weekly).

Also, the 789 seating config would have to be slightly different to the MEL-PER-LHR/MEL-LAX 789s (probably more Y and W) to "right-size" it for BNE-LAX.


Hard to no re configuration. The first 789's will have 42J vs 58 on the 744 but only 166Y vs 270 on the 744, W is 28 on the 789 32 on the 744. For Asian routes I could see the 78X for QF with 2 classes but there are some routes that might need more range than the 78X offers or won't need that many seats, will they have a second 3 class 789 config with say 28J 28W 220Y which can be used on a range of routes? It's not many J seats for LAX, SFO but the Asian routes they could go on don't have W.


What would a 78J look like in a 3 class QF config in a mixed leisure/premium layout? Could it make BNE-LAX?

Hopefully with this years annual results we'll see an extra 8 789 ordered. 4 have already been used, hopefully the next 4 open up new routes, then additiaonl orders support YVR,SFO, in going daily year round. With 78J to NRT,HKG,SIN.
 
bunumuring
Posts: 1973
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:56 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2017

Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:18 pm

Hey smi0006,
Apparently Alan Joyce said that more Dreamliners will be ordered once the first few have been delivered and performance figures assessed. A mate of mine told me that ages ago but I don't know where he got the info from.
Like you, I think an announcement of three-four additional Dreamliners is possible this year, but maybe QF wants to make a 'big splash' mega-order announcement of extra Dreamliners, the 777-8 v A350 decision and possibly 737 replacements? Such a series of orders being announced at one time would be big news attracting a lot of publicity.
Cheers,
Bunumuring.
I just wanna live while I'm alive!
 
User avatar
qf2220
Posts: 1217
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2017

Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:22 pm

bunumuring wrote:
Hey smi0006,
Apparently Alan Joyce said that more Dreamliners will be ordered once the first few have been delivered and performance figures assessed. A mate of mine told me that ages ago but I don't know where he got the info from.
Like you, I think an announcement of three-four additional Dreamliners is possible this year, but maybe QF wants to make a 'big splash' mega-order announcement of extra Dreamliners, the 777-8 v A350 decision and possibly 737 replacements? Such a series of orders being announced at one time would be big news attracting a lot of publicity.
Cheers,
Bunumuring.


I disagree about a big splash order. QF has changed its tone regarding capital expenditure so as to get better stock ratings and please its shareholders. A drip feed of 787 orders, which are locked in by the QF order book and probably at decent prices, would be far better from a balance sheet perspective, in that it wouldn't tie up a stack of future cashflow that it doesn't have to. By drip feeding, you only lock up future cashflow for the frames you order, and can adjust this to your advantage. The big mega (ego driven) orders under Dixon/Gregg/Borghetti et al caused some big headaches down the road for the executives who took delivery.

A big splash might have some PR benefit but its QF, they'd have plenty of PR credits that they wouldn't need a big splash to generate short term PR for themselves.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos