Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

YYZLGA
Topic Author

YUL Possible Future Midfield Terminal

Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:23 am

http://journalmetro.com/local/lachine-dorval/actualites/1088994/des-autobus-sur-les-pistes-de-montreal-trudeau/

ADM has been discussing the possibility of adding a new terminal between the two parallel runways, likely on the deicing pad north of 10/28. It's not clear whether it would be a completely separate terminal or a satellite concourse. The latter might make sense since road access to that site could be challenging.

I suppose they could even build a new processor on the parking lots closer to Autoroute 20 and the railway line and convert the existing terminal or at least parts of it into another satellite concourse.

YOWVIEWER

Re: YUL Possible Future Midfield Terminal

Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:17 pm

I just noticed that ADM is tearing down the remaining hangers off Cardinal Avenue. Are they planning to expand the U.S. arrival gates, or what is going into that area ? If they are possibly planning a new terminal in the current de-icing area, maybe they will connect it to the main terminal by a subway-style link similar to the one at MCO. Great to hear there's more expansion coming. I also thought that just maybe FedEx might relocate to Dorval, seeing their main trucking distribution is half way down 24L.

cumulushumilis

Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:23 pm

Maybe they can get rid of/redesign/renovate the dilapidated aeroquay as well. It has seen better days

1900Driver

Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:32 pm

YOWVIEWER wrote:
I just noticed that ADM is tearing down the remaining hangers off Cardinal Avenue. Are they planning to expand the U.S. arrival gates, or what is going into that area ? If they are possibly planning a new terminal in the current de-icing area, maybe they will connect it to the main terminal by a subway-style link similar to the one at MCO. Great to hear there's more expansion coming. I also thought that just maybe FedEx might relocate to Dorval, seeing their main trucking distribution is half way down 24L.

The current plan is to expand the xborder section as they did with the international. As for closing the de ice pad... how will they replace it? Won't be doing type IV at gate, so they need to put it somewhere. Have a hard time seeing where, since they will have to add a few extra spaces to accommodate growth as well.

Rwy10/28 is nice & convenient, but it is mostly offered to props only (as usually advertised on the atis). Why not close it down? Apart from helping reduce taxi time, it's effectiveness is minimal. (With exception of contimatinated runways when the winds are coming from northwest). Place the new concourse there, Zurich style!

ACCS300

Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:20 pm

I also have a huge issue with the current state of the domestic pier, gates 1-15. Seems they've been ignored forever, horrible concourse, super-cramped and totally inadequate. When are they going to demo and rebuild this, seems totally forgotten?

ScottB

Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:55 pm

YYZLGA wrote:
I suppose they could even build a new processor on the parking lots closer to Autoroute 20 and the railway line and convert the existing terminal or at least parts of it into another satellite concourse.

I think a terminal in that area might be problematic with respect to the runway safety area for 6R/24L.

Thenoflyzone

Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:04 pm

ACCS300 wrote:
I also have a huge issue with the current state of the domestic pier, gates 1-15. Seems they've been ignored forever, horrible concourse, super-cramped and totally inadequate. When are they going to demo and rebuild this, seems totally forgotten?

They can't demo and rebuild. They can only refurbish and expand (retail area), which they have and are still in the process of doing. New restaurants have opened up in the domestic pier lately.

Thenoflyzone

Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:09 pm

1900Driver wrote:

As for closing the de ice pad... how will they replace it?

I don't think the de icing pad is going anywhere. Whatever they build will be on top of the current aeroquay and runway 10/28. Aeromag has invested heavily in that de-ice pad, and recently renovated and expanded the area, to be able to handle up to 9 A320/B737s at once and also to be able to fully recuperate and recycle the glycol used for deicing.

http://www.aeromag2000.com/en/recycling-of-used-de-icing

1900Driver wrote:
Rwy10/28 is nice & convenient, but it is mostly offered to props only (as usually advertised on the atis). Why not close it down? Apart from helping reduce taxi time, it's effectiveness is minimal. (With exception of contimatinated runways when the winds are coming from northwest). Place the new concourse there, Zurich style!

When we are de-icing, runway 10/28 isn't used, due to multiple crossings of the runway. Also, when we are on the 06's, runway 10 isn't used either. So a good chunk of the year, 10/28 is a taxiway. Plus when the 24s are in use, no jets can depart 28, (TCU's request). So it's closure is a matter of when, not if. I have to say though, I personally like working 24s and 28 configuration, as it gives us flexibility with the departures, and even increases the airport arrival rate when we have LAHSO (no impact on arrivals runway 24R, and less departures being assigned 24L, meaning more arrivals can go on 24L), so the folks over at TCU are happy.

But back on point, yes, that is what will most likely happen. Runway 10/28 will close down and the new terminal will go somewhere over there. The current aeroquay will more than likely be demolished to make room for the new terminal.

ADM will soon start construction work on remote parking north of runway 10/28, west of the de icing pad (between taxiways E and B2). AC and Rouge need more room to park planes. 10/28's demise is soon approaching.

1900Driver

Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:54 pm

Thenoflyzone wrote:
1900Driver wrote:

As for closing the de ice pad... how will they replace it?

I don't think the de icing pad is going anywhere. Whatever they build will be on top of the current aeroquay and runway 10/28. Aeromag has invested heavily in that de-ice pad, and recently renovated and expanded the area, to be able to handle up to 9 A320/B737s at once and also to be able to fully recuperate and recycle the glycol used for deicing.

http://www.aeromag2000.com/en/recycling-of-used-de-icing

1900Driver wrote:

When we are de-icing, runway 10/28 isn't used, due to multiple crossings of the runway. Also, when we are on the 06's, runway 10 isn't used either. So a good chunk of the year, 10/28 is a taxiway. Plus when the 24s are in use, no jets can depart 28, (TCU's request). So it's closure is a matter of when, not if. I have to say though, I personally like working 24s and 28 configuration, as it gives us flexibility with the departures, and even increases the airport arrival rate when we have LAHSO (no impact on arrivals runway 24R, and less departures being assigned 24L, meaning more arrivals can go on 24L), so the folks over at TCU are happy.

But back on point, yes, that is what will most likely happen. Runway 10/28 will close down and the new terminal will go somewhere over there. The current aeroquay will more than likely be demolished to make room for the new terminal.
ADM will soon start construction work on remote parking north of runway 10/28, west of the de icing pad (between taxiways E and B2). AC and Rouge need more room to park planes. 10/28's demise is soon approaching.

Good post! It seems that dropping 10/28 is the best option. Will it become a new international concourse or domestic? Would love to see a Zurich style influence to the terminal design.

Dash9

Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:26 pm

ADM (YUL administrator) already has plans until 2033. Its all here
summary: http://www.admtl.com/en/node/9261

Full plan (english/french) http://www.admtl.com/sites/default/file ... 2-2013.pdf

YYZLGA
Topic Author

Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:09 pm

Dash9 wrote:
ADM (YUL administrator) already has plans until 2033. Its all here
summary: http://www.admtl.com/en/node/9261

Full plan (english/french) http://www.admtl.com/sites/default/file ... 2-2013.pdf

From the sounds of it, the master plan is going to change. Growth has been quite a bit quicker than they anticipated, especially on the international side. All the current master plan anticipates is a few more transborder gates by 2033. I don't think that's going to cut it.

yhu

Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:24 pm

So based on the master plan, they still intend to build a dedicated cargo area to the North West of 24R. Very interesting.

ACCS300

Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:29 pm

Fully agree with yhu. Didn't see anything in the Master Plan regarding the Midfield Terminal. Expansion plans in the Master Plan look pretty anemic even for the lower growth estimates, all I noticed was an extension ( small hammerhead ) of the Transborder Jetty.

Thenoflyzone

Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:11 pm

That masterplan is almost 4 years old and out of date. Certain elements in there are still pertinent, but I"m fully expecting a new masterplan to be written within a year or two, with detailed info on size and location of the new midfield terminal.

yhu wrote:
So based on the master plan, they still intend to build a dedicated cargo area to the North West of 24R. Very interesting.

Maybe, maybe not. Not everything that goes in a masterplan materializes. After all, there is a curfew at YUL for any aircraft greater than 45 tonnes, and a lot of cargo flights in/out of YMX happen late at night. YMX has no curfew, and the facilities are already built to handle the cargo. The only reason why ADM would spend millions to simply relocate cargo flights is if someone else is willing to pay top dollar for that land at YMX. (Bombardier maybe?)

yhu

Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:04 pm

Thenoflyzone wrote:
Maybe, maybe not. Not everything that goes in a masterplan materializes. After all, there is a curfew at YUL for any aircraft greater than 45 tonnes, and a lot of cargo flights in/out of YMX happen late at night. YMX has no curfew, and the facilities are already built to handle the cargo. The only reason why ADM would spend millions to simply relocate cargo flights is if someone else is willing to pay top dollar for that land at YMX. (Bombardier maybe?)

I do feel like eventually YUL won't be the best place for the Bombardier facility, with it moving to either YMX, YZD (lack of space) or one of it's US facilities.

YYZLGA
Topic Author

Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:10 pm

Thenoflyzone wrote:
That masterplan is almost 4 years old and out of date. Certain elements in there are still pertinent, but I"m fully expecting a new masterplan to be written within a year or two, with detailed info on size and location of the new midfield terminal.

Do you know if the talk is about a midfield satellite concourse or an actual separate midfield terminal?

I assume if they go the route of a separate terminal, it will follow an approach similar to YYZ with AC/*A in one terminal and everybody else in the other.

1900Driver

Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:03 pm

YYZLGA wrote:
Thenoflyzone wrote:

Do you know if the talk is about a midfield satellite concourse or an actual separate midfield terminal?

I assume if they go the route of a separate terminal, it will follow an approach similar to YYZ with AC/*A in one terminal and everybody else in the other.

Segragating terminals between star* & other carriers at YUL like YYZ is a possibility. Though, I would love to see it designed as an international concourse with an underground metro style service like ZRH. I find it to be a very effective design over the present horse shoe concept.

One thing hindering the international concourse idea is the present loading area in both dep&arrivals sections, which are grossly inadequate. A separate terminal with a separate loading area via cote vertu maybe be needed??

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos