Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LAX772LR
Topic Author

Re: LHR-MSY inaugural (today, March 27) pics and info

Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:46 am

Anyone know how I can find out the name of the captain on this flight (BA224, March 27, 2017)?

She was the first female captain I've ever had on a longhaul flight. Figured it'd be worth knowing.

BobPatterson

Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:29 am

LAX772LR wrote:
Anyone know how I can find out the name of the captain on this flight (BA224, March 27, 2017)?

She was the first female captain I've ever had on a longhaul flight. Figured it'd be worth knowing.

I don't have a direct answer to your question, but perhaps contacting Mark Reis, Interim Director of Aviation, New Orleans Airport, (mentioned in news article) might get you the information.

Otherwise, you might get lucky by asking BA's PR department by telling them you are trying to properly document inaugural flight data.

LAX772LR
Topic Author

Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:29 pm

BobPatterson wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

I don't have a direct answer to your question, but perhaps contacting Mark Reis, Interim Director of Aviation, New Orleans Airport, (mentioned in news article) might get you the information.

Otherwise, you might get lucky by asking BA's PR department by telling them you are trying to properly document inaugural flight data.

Check your PM message, might get a bit of humor out of this. :)

nadavatar64

Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:42 pm

Great to see this flight finally comes to fruition. I guess now its time for other mid-sized markets such as BNA, STL and MCI to achieve a BA flight.

MartijnNL

Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:26 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
The most bare-bones overheads I've ever seen: no individual lights, no air vents, no WiFi indicator, no No Smoking signs-- just seatbelt only. That's a first. Especially in an aircraft that's only 2yrs old!

Then how do you read a book when the cabin lights are dimmed?

LAX772LR wrote:
Sunrise over the Atlantic, off the southwest coast of Ireland.
FAs were controlling the window tint at that point:

For me a reason not wanting to fly on a B787.

7673mech

Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:39 pm

MartijnNL wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
The most bare-bones overheads I've ever seen: no individual lights, no air vents, no WiFi indicator, no No Smoking signs-- just seatbelt only. That's a first. Especially in an aircraft that's only 2yrs old!

Then how do you read a book when the cabin lights are dimmed?

LAX772LR wrote:
Sunrise over the Atlantic, off the southwest coast of Ireland.
FAs were controlling the window tint at that point:

For me a reason not wanting to fly on a B787.

Unless you have flown in a 787, it is a common over reaction.
You can still see out of the windows and depending on the carrier you have varying degrees control.

The premium seats have all the lighting and vents as part of the seat. No need to duplicate it in the overhead.

LAX772LR
Topic Author

Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:23 pm

7673mech wrote:
The premium seats have all the lighting and vents as part of the seat. No need to duplicate it in the overhead.

Many (AA, VS, DL, etc) have a button on the seat or remote that triggers a light, but it's still an overhead.

I haven't seen a light on just the seat in a while... and quite frankly, these ultra-thin, clunky, and woefully outdated Club World seats hid it so well (assuming it was even there) that I gave up looking and just went to bed.

Veryyyy disappointed in BA's seat and hard product.
It would've been outdated half a decade ago, let alone now.

Flew VS006 back to LAX, and their Upper Class blew Club World clear outta the water, in every way. Wasn't even close. :(

tonystan

Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:11 am

LAX772LR wrote:
7673mech wrote:

Many (AA, VS, DL, etc) have a button on the seat or remote that triggers a light, but it's still an overhead.

I haven't seen a light on just the seat in a while... and quite frankly, these ultra-thin, clunky, and woefully outdated Club World seats hid it so well (assuming it was even there) that I gave up looking and just went to bed.

Veryyyy disappointed in BA's seat and hard product.
It would've been outdated half a decade ago, let alone now.

Flew VS006 back to LAX, and their Upper Class blew Club World clear outta the water, in every way. Wasn't even close. :(

There's a seat guide in the seat pocket which explains all the features of the seat including where the reading light is which you could have used or you could have simply asked a crew member!

No BA a longhaul aircraft have air vents. And they don't have wifi yet (although in the process of being trialled) hence no indicators in the cabin. It's only a seatbelt sign that's needed.

I know the seat is old but I still think it has it's great features. No box to stick your feet into. A decent width throughout the full length of the seat. It's not difficult for the average person to climb out of when a neighbour is in bed mode (look at the likes of then paired seats on some carriers and it's impossible) and if you have a window seat you have an impressive view backwards.

Add to this the new bedding arriving this summer, the new catering and service concept in September and the wifi over the next few years it'll build up to be once again a great experience IMHO.

LAX772LR
Topic Author

Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:50 pm

tonystan wrote:
I know the seat is old but I still think it has it's great features. No box to stick your feet into. A decent width throughout the full length of the seat. It's not difficult for the average person to climb out of when a neighbour is in bed mode (look at the likes of then paired seats on some carriers and it's impossible)

I know it's subjective, but I could not possibly disagree more, on each aspect you pointed out.

• I LIKE the "box," as it's easy quick-access storage for certain things that I might want to grab, after takeoff.
  • The seat width was decent at the hip, but tight at the shoulder. I will say that it had decent lumbar though.
  • Climbing over the neighbor's ottoman was an absolute pain in the ass, especially when slightly buzzed.
  • My ottoman collapsed twice during the night, the second time I just slept through it. Piece of crap design.

I love BA, and am so happy to see them back in my hometown with scheduled service... but damn, that Club World seat was easily the worst/most outdated that I've ever experienced in a Western carrier.

I'm shocked that AA/CX would want to put their elites onto that. :(

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos