gilesdavies
Topic Author

What is Gulf Air's future plan with so many aircraft on order?

Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:19 pm

Gulf Air currently has over 55 aircraft on order, all due for delivery between 2018-20 and was just curious what exactly their plans are for these new birds?!

Currently the airline only has 28 aircraft in the fleet, and this small fleet was due to years of downsizing and loosing millions, optimizing themselves to become a regional carrier serving the needs of Bahrain and to stop competing with the big Middle East three carriers.

Currently they have a fleet of 22 A320/321's and 6 A330's, which seems a very respectable and simple fleet, to serve their needs. Allowing the A330's to serve the longer routes in Europe and Asia, and the A320 family to serve the shorter regional flights and to the Indian Sub-Continent.

Even assuming these 55 new aircraft replace the entire existing fleet, they currently have 16 787-9's on order, which is going to nearly triple their long haul fleet!

They also have 29 A320/321 NEOs on order, that allows for sensible growth, and possibly increase frequencies on existing routes on the short haul markets... However the oddball then appears when also have 10 Bombardier CS100's on order!

Where the hell are they going to deploy all these CS100's and 787-9's?! It just seems Gulf Air have not learn't from their past mistakes when they lost flag carrier status is Qatar, Abu Dhabi and Oman and had to dramatically transform themselves to a mino carrier of the Middle East. This whole process was extremely painful and they got through numerous CEO's with different downsizing plans.

I fear the airline is again heading aimlessly with plans which will end in tears,

DobboDobbo

Re: What is Gulf Air's future plan with so many aircraft on order?

Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:03 pm

Almost every major ME based airline either has or is due to start a service to MAN, which I think is the second largest market in Europe to the Middle East (after LHR).

I assume this places MAN on the radar but I have no information to back this up.

enilria

Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:43 pm

Two part plan

1) defer/cancel aircraft orders
2) create new plan

Jerry123

Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:19 pm

They could lease a lot of those aircraft out.

Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:48 pm

Is it possible they are taking a page from Ek and will be just a transfer point for East/West flow?

CanadaFair

Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:29 am

I dont think Bahrain nor Doha, Abu Dhabi, Dubai and Muscat were terminating points in GF history nor now.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos