AF022
Topic Author
Posts: 1692
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:41 pm

Lome-Jo'burg nonstop on Ethiopian!

Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:08 pm

Just got a Facebook message that ASKY will operate LFW-Jo'burg nonstop using Ethiopian aircraft. Flight will connect to ASKY's network in LFW. Which means it will connect to Ethiopian's flight to Newark. Great new flight!
 
User avatar
lesfalls
Posts: 3041
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Lome-Jo'burg nonstop on Ethiopian!

Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:18 pm

This might be off topic but are majority of Ethopians flights to Lome full of connecting passangers or is it O&D?

Hopefully this drives down prices on SAA's flight to JFK.
My Instagram account: @Jfkairlinespotting
 
RJNUT
Posts: 1214
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 1999 1:58 am

Re: Lome-Jo'burg nonstop on Ethiopian!

Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:46 pm

quite an interesting little hub Asky/Ethiopian have set up at Lome . Funnels good traffic from Central and West Africa to US at same time solving altitude issue at ADD!
 
nadavatar64
Posts: 240
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:44 pm

Re: Lome-Jo'burg nonstop on Ethiopian!

Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:45 pm

lesfalls wrote:
This might be off topic but are majority of Ethopians flights to Lome full of connecting passangers or is it O&D?

Hopefully this drives down prices on SAA's flight to JFK.


I know ASKY/ET connects many West Africans to EWR and in a smaller scale GRU at LFW.
 
evanb
Posts: 131
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:26 pm

Re: Lome-Jo'burg nonstop on Ethiopian!

Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:51 pm

lesfalls wrote:
Hopefully this drives down prices on SAA's flight to JFK.


I'm pretty sure a three times weekly flight, connecting through a west African airport, is not going to drive down prices on JNB-JFK, given the premium that can be attracted for the non-stop and also considering the huge number of other one-stop options with massive capacity between JNB and NYC (IAD, ATL, LHR, MAD, AMS, CDG, FRA, MUC, IST, DXB, DOH, AUH, GRU, CAI). That's even assuming that the JNB-LFW flights even made a connection to LFW-EWR.

That said, it's a nice addition to the network and likely to see an SA codeshare like all other ET flight to South Africa.
 
usflyer msp
Posts: 2619
Joined: Tue May 23, 2000 11:50 am

Re: Lome-Jo'burg nonstop on Ethiopian!

Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:53 pm

nadavatar64 wrote:
lesfalls wrote:
This might be off topic but are majority of Ethopians flights to Lome full of connecting passangers or is it O&D?

Hopefully this drives down prices on SAA's flight to JFK.


I know ASKY/ET connects many West Africans to EWR and in a smaller scale GRU at LFW.


Overwhelmingly connecting pax...

Togo is a tiny economy, the only thing it has going for it is that Ecobank, the largest bank in Africa, is HQ'd there. Ecobank is the main reason Asky's hub is in Lome as they provided much of the launch financing...

BTW, ET does not fly LFW-GRU anymore, it is non-stop from ADD...
 
berari
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:47 pm

Re: Lome-Jo'burg nonstop on Ethiopian!

Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:31 pm

This is super exciting! Flight is operated using B738 that would otherwise sit idle at JNB after having flown in ADD-JNB overnight and waiting for its return JNB-ADD overnight the next day.
 
airbazar
Posts: 7745
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Lome-Jo'burg nonstop on Ethiopian!

Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:21 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
Overwhelmingly connecting pax...

Togo is a tiny economy, the only thing it has going for it is that Ecobank, the largest bank in Africa, is HQ'd there. Ecobank is the main reason Asky's hub is in Lome as they provided much of the launch financing...

It is however a very stable and very fast growing economy. Its port and airport are quickly turning Lome' into a major trade center in West Africa.

BTW, ET does not fly LFW-GRU anymore, it is non-stop from ADD...

Yes they do. And starting soon TP will be flying to LFW too. At least that's the rumor.
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/ETH5 ... /DXXX/SBGR
 
berari
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:47 pm

Re: Lome-Jo'burg nonstop on Ethiopian!

Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:26 pm

evanb wrote:
lesfalls wrote:
I'm pretty sure a three times weekly flight, connecting through a west African airport, is not going to drive down prices on JNB-JFK, given the premium that can be attracted for the non-stop and also considering the huge number of other one-stop options with massive capacity between JNB and NYC (IAD, ATL, LHR, MAD, AMS, CDG, FRA, MUC, IST, DXB, DOH, AUH, GRU, CAI). That's even assuming that the JNB-LFW flights even made a connection to LFW-EWR.


They are timed to connect with LFW-EWR.

usflyer msp wrote:
BTW, ET does not fly LFW-GRU anymore, it is non-stop from ADD...


ET does ADD-LFW-GRU since last year given the downturn in Brazil.

RJNUT wrote:
quite an interesting little hub Asky/Ethiopian have set up at Lome . Funnels good traffic from Central and West Africa to US at same time solving altitude issue at ADD!


It'll be expensive for ET to fly nonstop out of ADD even if it could: payload restrictions etc. Doubt that the yield is there, even for its existing service to IAD. ET is able to support its service to IAD because of the Ethiopian diaspora there, same for YYZ. LAX is supported by fifth freedom on DUB-LAX. West Africa is a good choice for supporting flights to NYC given West African population in the region. ET's CEO was on record to mention that future US expansion will also be via West Africa, with IAH and ORD being next targets.
 
usflyer msp
Posts: 2619
Joined: Tue May 23, 2000 11:50 am

Re: Lome-Jo'burg nonstop on Ethiopian!

Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:50 pm

airbazar wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
Overwhelmingly connecting pax...

Togo is a tiny economy, the only thing it has going for it is that Ecobank, the largest bank in Africa, is HQ'd there. Ecobank is the main reason Asky's hub is in Lome as they provided much of the launch financing...

It is however a very stable and very fast growing economy. Its port and airport are quickly turning Lome' into a major trade center in West Africa.

BTW, ET does not fly LFW-GRU anymore, it is non-stop from ADD...

Yes they do. And starting soon TP will be flying to LFW too. At least that's the rumor.
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/ETH5 ... /DXXX/SBGR


Interesting, I stand corrected. I was just in ADD 3 weeks ago and none of ET's promotional materials mentioned or showed a stop in LFW on the route. In fact, they had an entire article in the inflight magazine about how they are the #1 carrier between Brazil and China. I doubt that is true, especially with all those stops...

The Togolese economy is stable and growing. It is still only around the 40th largest economy in Africa, ie the GDP of the entire country of Togo is about half of the GDP of the city of Abidjan by itself...
 
b747400erf
Posts: 2921
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:33 am

Re: Lome-Jo'burg nonstop on Ethiopian!

Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:06 pm

usflyer msp wrote:

Overwhelmingly connecting pax...

Togo is a tiny economy, the only thing it has going for it is that Ecobank, the largest bank in Africa, is HQ'd there. Ecobank is the main reason Asky's hub is in Lome as they provided much of the launch financing...

BTW, ET does not fly LFW-GRU anymore, it is non-stop from ADD...


I read that as laundering financing... and I do not think I am that far off.
 
grjplanes
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:52 am

Re: Lome-Jo'burg nonstop on Ethiopian!

Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:13 am

It's timed to connect to EWR and GRU together with several West African destinations.

It will become the fastest 1-stop service between Jo'Burg and New York, besides the SAA service to JFK...prices also seems quite reasonable. It will however take a while to convince pax on the route to connect at LFW

So it's the 2nd daily ET service of ADD-JNB (other being widebody 777/A350/787) that arrives early morning in JNB and departs late evening...the other 3 days the ET flight continues to CPT.
 
rukundo
Posts: 191
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:10 am

Re: Lome-Jo'burg nonstop on Ethiopian!

Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:22 am

Since the suspension of Arik Air service to Johannesburg, there are no West African airlines which fly to SA.

South African Airways, serves only Dakar, Abuja, Lagos, Cotonou, Abidjan and Accra in West Africa.

Asky has also a good network in Central Africa. Lomé has new modern terminal.

The airlines growths very well, they posted 1st profit, in 2015: http://www.traveltowestafrica.com/asky- ... t-in-2015/

They eyes Paris, Cabo Verde, Mauritania and Beirut:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ets-europe
 
dkny
Posts: 566
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:00 pm

Re: Lome-Jo'burg nonstop on Ethiopian!

Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:55 am

What are the timings for this flight.
 
grjplanes
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:52 am

Re: Lome-Jo'burg nonstop on Ethiopian!

Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:08 pm

ET859 JNB0715 – 1130LFW 738 x246
ET858 LFW1400 – 2210JNB 738 x246

Operational aircraft pattern is Addis Ababa – Johannesburg – Lome vv.

So connecting in and out of LFW main banks.
No connecting at JNB side for either domestic/regional or international though, depart too early and arrive too late...only possible connection is PER-JNB flight arriving 04:30 at JNB.
 
berari
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:47 pm

Re: Lome-Jo'burg nonstop on Ethiopian!

Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:44 am

The flights are timed to connect with other flights at LFW's mid-day bank, which includes service to EWR. Northbound connections to EWR are only available two times a week, while southbound will see it three times a week. The flight from/to JNB will connect to most of Asky's flights within the West African region, which are the primary target for this new service.
 
dkny
Posts: 566
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:00 pm

Re: Lome-Jo'burg nonstop on Ethiopian!

Thu May 11, 2017 2:27 am

They keep delaying the start of this flight. They just pushed it back to June. 3rd time the start date is being pushed. Anyone know what the problem is ?

Who is online

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos