jplatts
Topic Author
Posts: 717
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Southwest expansion at Houston Hobby

Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:53 pm

Southwest actually has room to expand both domestically and internationally at Houston Hobby. There is currently no nonstop service from Houston Hobby to Sacramento, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Milwaukee, Detroit, Louisville, Cincinnati, Columbus, Cleveland, and Philadelphia. Will Southwest take advantage of the opportunity to add new nonstop routes out of Houston Hobby to these 9 markets?

Southwest has plans to expand internationally and to add service to new international destinations. What new international destinations will Southwest fly to next from Houston Hobby?
 
barney captain
Posts: 1713
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2001 5:47 pm

Re: Southwest expansion at Houston Hobby

Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:50 pm

My guess is PTY is on the short list.

I would love to see them extend 4/22 and 31L/13R another 500' on each end - there's certainly room for it.
The MAX seems like it will require some extra pavement to go the full distance.
Southeast Of Disorder
 
User avatar
OzarkD9S
Posts: 4999
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2001 2:31 am

Re: Southwest expansion at Houston Hobby

Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:56 pm

HOU is a strong market for WN, no doubt about it. BUT...HOU is geographically out of the way for many domestic connections. Since WN has many "connecting centers" throughout the country, places not on a good connecting pattern for HOU will maybe see a flight or two at most a day. International is where it gets interesting. Since DAL is restricted from international nonstops HOU is the big gateway for them. As HOU expands internationally we may see a few morning flights from MSP and such to connect with a morning bank of WN flights ex-HOU. But I wouldn't expect too much.
Next Up: STL-MIA-GCM-MIA-STL. Fun in the December sun! :santahat:
 
phluser
Posts: 462
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:49 pm

Re: Southwest expansion at Houston Hobby

Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:54 am

jplatts wrote:
Southwest actually has room to expand both domestically and internationally at Houston Hobby. There is currently no nonstop service from Houston Hobby to Sacramento, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Milwaukee, Detroit, Louisville, Cincinnati, Columbus, Cleveland, and Philadelphia. Will Southwest take advantage of the opportunity to add new nonstop routes out of Houston Hobby to these 9 markets?

Southwest has plans to expand internationally and to add service to new international destinations. What new international destinations will Southwest fly to next from Houston Hobby?


WN used to serve HOU-PHL and more recently used to serve HOU-EWR, the closest major airport for Northern and Central NJ. Interestingly in MKE, Southwest is the largest carrier there, but doesn't fly either MKE-BNA or MKE-HOU, even though it's to another major WN station in the same time zone, so not incredibly far. WN might struggle on some markets against UA (at IAH) or reluctant to compete again on HOU-PHL atleast. Atleast with DAL, it has some advantage with DAL being closer to downtown Dallas to make domestic routes work out of pax preference of DAL against the DFW carriers, and maybe the difference origin out of and demand to Dallas is also greater than Houston. WN seems to have greater confidence with DAL (against AA/DFW) than it does out of HOU (against UA/IAH).
 
orangeguy
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:37 pm

Re: Southwest expansion at Houston Hobby

Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:46 am

Perhaps my information is out of date, but I thought WN was pretty much tapped out in terms of aircraft availability due to the retirement of the 300s. It seems like they will need to build up a fleet of MAX before they can think seriously about many new routes or expansion plans.
 
n471wn
Posts: 1525
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:23 am

Re: Southwest expansion at Houston Hobby

Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:50 am

orangeguy wrote:
Perhaps my information is out of date, but I thought WN was pretty much tapped out in terms of aircraft availability due to the retirement of the 300s. It seems like they will need to build up a fleet of MAX before they can think seriously about many new routes or expansion plans.


Yes you are correct as 78 300's now flying will be gone by Oct 1. 12 more used 700's are coming on board and some new 800's but there will still be a significant gap
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 2990
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Southwest expansion at Houston Hobby

Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:53 am

A question mark at the end of that thread title would have been useful.
 
dc10lover
Posts: 1237
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:11 pm

Re: Southwest expansion at Houston Hobby

Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:57 am

Maybe WN should serve more California markets from Houston? Just a guess.
Ever Wish You Can Go Back In Time And Live In An Earlier Era Of Aviation?
 
737max8
Posts: 284
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:13 am

Re: Southwest expansion at Houston Hobby

Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:58 am

n471wn wrote:
orangeguy wrote:
Perhaps my information is out of date, but I thought WN was pretty much tapped out in terms of aircraft availability due to the retirement of the 300s. It seems like they will need to build up a fleet of MAX before they can think seriously about many new routes or expansion plans.


Yes you are correct as 78 300's now flying will be gone by Oct 1. 12 more used 700's are coming on board and some new 800's but there will still be a significant gap


Not really that big of a gap...

87 retirements but 67 additions to the fleet this year. It's crazy that WN will have 154 A/C transactions in 2017 ALONE. But those additions are almost all 175 seats, while retirements are 137 or 143 seats. The gap gets even smaller. And by next year the fleet is growing again.
The thoughts and opinions expressed in my comments do not represent that of any airline or affiliate.
Flown on: 717 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 744 744ER 752 753 762 763 772 773ER 788 A319/20/21 A332 A333 A343 A359 A388
 
hiflyeras
Posts: 1680
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:48 pm

Re: Southwest expansion at Houston Hobby

Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:24 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
A question mark at the end of that thread title would have been useful.


Exactly. Dropping SEA and PDX out of HOU doesn't sound to me like an expansion.
 
User avatar
drerx7
Posts: 4284
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2000 12:19 am

Re: Southwest expansion at Houston Hobby

Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:23 am

SEA is seasonal iirc...I don't recall if PDX is
HOUSTON, TEXAS
 
bogota
Posts: 663
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:10 am

Re: Southwest expansion at Houston Hobby

Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:47 am

Southwest had expressed their interest in BOG sometime ago, so probably still in their radar.
 
bogota
Posts: 663
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:10 am

Re: Southwest expansion at Houston Hobby

Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:52 am

barney captain wrote:
My guess is PTY is on the short list.

I would love to see them extend 4/22 and 31L/13R another 500' on each end - there's certainly room for it.
The MAX seems like it will require some extra pavement to go the full distance.


PTY is a transit point more than anything, not sure what Southwest could do there.
 
User avatar
jfklganyc
Posts: 4475
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:31 pm

Re: Southwest expansion at Houston Hobby

Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:20 pm

20 aircraft net loss for an airline is a huge hit
 
toxtethogrady
Posts: 1788
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2000 12:33 pm

Re: Southwest expansion at Houston Hobby

Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:58 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
A question mark at the end of that thread title would have been useful.


I thought that was traditional for any new A.net thread... :stirthepot:
 
737max8
Posts: 284
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:13 am

Re: Southwest expansion at Houston Hobby

Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:08 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
20 aircraft net loss for an airline is a huge hit


It's far less than that when you look at seat totals, and you can make up for that by reducing the number of spare A/C, longer days, etc.

It's pretty obvious when the schedule after the classic retirement didn't really change. No cuts other than typical seasonal stuff.
The thoughts and opinions expressed in my comments do not represent that of any airline or affiliate.
Flown on: 717 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 744 744ER 752 753 762 763 772 773ER 788 A319/20/21 A332 A333 A343 A359 A388
 
wnflyguy
Posts: 1139
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Southwest expansion at Houston Hobby

Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:11 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
20 aircraft net loss for an airline is a huge hit

That's only until April 2018 then WN will rapidly increase to positive fleet growth opportunities for summer 2018.

Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.
 
User avatar
Rajahdhani
Posts: 492
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:13 pm

Re: Southwest expansion at Houston Hobby

Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:30 pm

737max8 wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:
20 aircraft net loss for an airline is a huge hit


It's far less than that when you look at seat totals, and you can make up for that by reducing the number of spare A/C, longer days, etc.


Another, albeit slight bonus - I am sure that the 'new' aircraft are more reliable that the ones that they are replacing - if not more capable. I mean, losing a 733, at a lower seat count, and lower range - and replacing it with a 738 certainly does have advantages - especially when one is new, and the other - a workhorse (and I will not say that it is unsafe at all) that though well maintained, is older. I am, by no means a WN-fanboy, but this is good news for them. Can't wait to see the MAXs come on property - and see them really reap the rewards further. "Growing pains" aside, good on them for making the move, and now.

Backing to the topic, let's see how the Houston economy improves in the coming years. Perhaps, as most have voiced - a healthier O/D might be the issue at hand. It is no surprise given Houston's ties to the petro-chemical industry, but - things might be looking up, and soon.
 
User avatar
jbpdx
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:37 pm

Re: Southwest expansion at Houston Hobby

Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:19 pm

drerx7 wrote:
SEA is seasonal iirc...I don't recall if PDX is



PDX-HOU has been year round not seasonal.
Next: AS PDX-LAS-PDX
 
jetero
Posts: 1595
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: Southwest expansion at Houston Hobby

Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:06 pm

Rajahdhani wrote:
Backing to the topic, let's see how the Houston economy improves in the coming years. Perhaps, as most have voiced - a healthier O/D might be the issue at hand. It is no surprise given Houston's ties to the petro-chemical industry, but - things might be looking up, and soon.


For 2016, HOU's O&D traffic is up 10% and IAH's is essentially flat.

http://www.fly2houston.com/newsroom/med ... tatistics/
 
kon
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:43 am

Re: Southwest expansion at Houston Hobby

Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:21 am

jbpdx wrote:
drerx7 wrote:
SEA is seasonal iirc...I don't recall if PDX is



PDX-HOU has been year round not seasonal.


This fall, PDX-HOU seems to have gone away. Maybe a temporary pause due to fleet retirement, maybe a switch to seasonal?
 
guillelds
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:20 am

Re: Southwest expansion at Houston Hobby

Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:57 am

bogota wrote:
Southwest had expressed their interest in BOG sometime ago, so probably still in their radar.


I hope so.... UA and AV are killing us with their high fares
 
tbboko802
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:12 pm

Re: Southwest expansion at Houston Hobby

Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:54 am

This fall, PDX-HOU seems to have gone away. Maybe a temporary pause due to fleet retirement, maybe a switch to seasonal?

PDX-HOU has all year for 1 year. Previous to that, it was seasonal for several years. Just speculation, but I would imagine it has been returned to seasonal.
Be Open to Change
 
User avatar
jbpdx
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:37 pm

Re: Southwest expansion at Houston Hobby

Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:48 pm

Upgauged app/DOT shows WN PDX-HOU with a 92% load factor for June 2016.
Next: AS PDX-LAS-PDX
 
BerenErchamion
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 12:44 am

Re: Southwest expansion at Houston Hobby

Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:53 pm

737max8 wrote:
But those additions are almost all 175 seats, while retirements are 137 or 143 seats. The gap gets even smaller. And by next year the fleet is growing again.


How will that actually help with fleet availability to serve more destinations, though?

A plane can only go to one destination at a time, no matter how many people it holds. Unless the thinking is that the higher capacity will allow them to reduce frequencies on some routes, I suppose.
Union YES!
 
jplatts
Topic Author
Posts: 717
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Southwest expansion at Houston Hobby

Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:08 pm

BerenErchamion wrote:
737max8 wrote:
But those additions are almost all 175 seats, while retirements are 137 or 143 seats. The gap gets even smaller. And by next year the fleet is growing again.


How will that actually help with fleet availability to serve more destinations, though?

A plane can only go to one destination at a time, no matter how many people it holds. Unless the thinking is that the higher capacity will allow them to reduce frequencies on some routes, I suppose.


Southwest plans to receive 737 MAX 7 planes in 2019, and the 737 MAX 7 is slightly larger than the 737-300 and 737-700 but smaller than the 737-800 and 737 MAX 8. Southwest's 737 MAX 7 planes will seat 150 passengers, whereas Southwest's 737-300 and 737-700 planes seat 143 passengers.
 
jplatts
Topic Author
Posts: 717
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Southwest expansion at Houston Hobby

Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:30 pm

phluser wrote:
jplatts wrote:
Southwest actually has room to expand both domestically and internationally at Houston Hobby. There is currently no nonstop service from Houston Hobby to Sacramento, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Milwaukee, Detroit, Louisville, Cincinnati, Columbus, Cleveland, and Philadelphia. Will Southwest take advantage of the opportunity to add new nonstop routes out of Houston Hobby to these 9 markets?

Southwest has plans to expand internationally and to add service to new international destinations. What new international destinations will Southwest fly to next from Houston Hobby?


WN used to serve HOU-PHL and more recently used to serve HOU-EWR, the closest major airport for Northern and Central NJ. Interestingly in MKE, Southwest is the largest carrier there, but doesn't fly either MKE-BNA or MKE-HOU, even though it's to another major WN station in the same time zone, so not incredibly far. WN might struggle on some markets against UA (at IAH) or reluctant to compete again on HOU-PHL atleast. Atleast with DAL, it has some advantage with DAL being closer to downtown Dallas to make domestic routes work out of pax preference of DAL against the DFW carriers, and maybe the difference origin out of and demand to Dallas is also greater than Houston. WN seems to have greater confidence with DAL (against AA/DFW) than it does out of HOU (against UA/IAH).


Southwest might be able to do well on the HOU-PHL nonstop route if Southwest revived nonstop service between HOU and PHL because US Airways pulled out of Star Alliance and ended its codeshare relationship with United with the American-US Airways merger, and also because some of the Houston-area customers prefer Southwest and/or United over American. In addition, Southwest now has international service out of Houston, and a HOU-PHL nonstop would allow Philadelphia-area customers access to Southwest's international destinations and vice versa.
 
jplatts
Topic Author
Posts: 717
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Southwest expansion at Houston Hobby

Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:40 pm

jplatts wrote:
Southwest actually has room to expand both domestically and internationally at Houston Hobby. There is currently no nonstop service from Houston Hobby to Sacramento, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Milwaukee, Detroit, Louisville, Cincinnati, Columbus, Cleveland, and Philadelphia. Will Southwest take advantage of the opportunity to add new nonstop routes out of Houston Hobby to these 9 markets?

Southwest has plans to expand internationally and to add service to new international destinations. What new international destinations will Southwest fly to next from Houston Hobby?


I always thought that Southwest will expand both domestically and internationally at Houston Hobby, and I think that Southwest will eventually add nonstop service to at least Sacramento, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, and Columbus from Houston Hobby.

Even though Southwest has nonstops from Houston Hobby to Oakland, LAX, and Orange County, will Southwest add nonstops from Houston to San Francisco Int'l Airport, San Jose, Burbank, or Ontario, California?
 
BerenErchamion
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 12:44 am

Re: Southwest expansion at Houston Hobby

Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:41 pm

jplatts wrote:
BerenErchamion wrote:
737max8 wrote:
But those additions are almost all 175 seats, while retirements are 137 or 143 seats. The gap gets even smaller. And by next year the fleet is growing again.


How will that actually help with fleet availability to serve more destinations, though?

A plane can only go to one destination at a time, no matter how many people it holds. Unless the thinking is that the higher capacity will allow them to reduce frequencies on some routes, I suppose.


Southwest plans to receive 737 MAX 7 planes in 2019, and the 737 MAX 7 is slightly larger than the 737-300 and 737-700 but smaller than the 737-800 and 737 MAX 8. Southwest's 737 MAX 7 planes will seat 150 passengers, whereas Southwest's 737-300 and 737-700 planes seat 143 passengers.


That doesn't actually answer the question. Everyone knows that the capacity is higher; but the higher capacity doesn't magically allow it to fly two routes at once.

In order to actually fly new routes with a fleet utilized to full capacity (which is the premise under discussion), you have to either cut some existing routes or add new planes. Replacing a part of the current fleet with a smaller number of larger planes may give you the same or even more seats to sell, but it won't actually give you the spare fleet capacity to fly new routes without first cutting some existing ones.
Union YES!
 
airliner371
Posts: 2296
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:53 pm

Re: Southwest expansion at Houston Hobby

Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:39 am

jplatts wrote:
BerenErchamion wrote:
737max8 wrote:
But those additions are almost all 175 seats, while retirements are 137 or 143 seats. The gap gets even smaller. And by next year the fleet is growing again.


How will that actually help with fleet availability to serve more destinations, though?

A plane can only go to one destination at a time, no matter how many people it holds. Unless the thinking is that the higher capacity will allow them to reduce frequencies on some routes, I suppose.


Southwest plans to receive 737 MAX 7 planes in 2019, and the 737 MAX 7 is slightly larger than the 737-300 and 737-700 but smaller than the 737-800 and 737 MAX 8. Southwest's 737 MAX 7 planes will seat 150 passengers, whereas Southwest's 737-300 and 737-700 planes seat 143 passengers.

Your response has nothing to do with what the previous users were saying. Slow down with the posts... PLEASE.
Support Net Neutrality, Support airliners.net!
 
jplatts
Topic Author
Posts: 717
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Southwest expansion at Houston Hobby

Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:47 pm

The top markets out of Houston that currently do not have nonstop service from Houston Hobby are Newark, San Francisco, Detroit, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Philadelphia, Washington-Dulles, Cincinnati, Cleveland, San Jose (CA), Columbus (OH), Sacramento, Milwaukee, and Richmond.

Southwest did previously have nonstop service from HOU to EWR and PHL, and Southwest will be starting seasonal nonstop service between Houston and Columbus on November 17th.

Southwest does have the Houston-NYC, Houston-DC, and Houston-San Francisco markets covered by HOU-LGA, HOU-DCA, HOU-BWI, and HOU-OAK nonstops. Is there enough demand for Southwest to add HOU-SFO and HOU-IAD nonstops? Southwest does serve both SFO and IAD, even though Southwest does not do any nonstops to HOU from SFO or IAD.

Even though Southwest discontinued HOU-EWR nonstop service, EWR is currently the largest market without nonstop service from HOU and Southwest only does 2 nonstops between HOU and LGA. Southwest currently doesn't have room to expand further at LGA and there might possibly be enough demand for Southwest to revive HOU-EWR nonstop service. Will Southwest revive HOU-EWR nonstop service?

MSP is one of the largest markets out of Houston that is not served nonstop from HOU. In addition, there are only two legacy carriers (UA and DL) who have year-round nonstop service between IAH and MSP and Spirit only operates IAH-MSP nonstop service on a seasonal schedule. Sun Country doesn't even serve either Houston Airport. Southwest could add nonstop service between HOU-MSP, and there might be enough demand for Southwest do add HOU-MSP nonstop service.

CVG is one of the largest markets out of Houston that is not served nonstop from HOU, and Southwest started nonstop service from CVG to MDW and BWI today.

CLE is one of the largest markets out of Houston that is not served nonstop from HOU, and there was even significant demand for Cleveland to Houston flights prior to the United-Continental merger. Even though demand for Cleveland to Houston flights have dropped with the UA-CO merger and the UA CLE dehubbing, CLE is still one of the largest markets from Houston that is without nonstop service to HOU.

SJC is one of the largest markets that is not served nonstop from HOU, but Southwest operates nonstops to SJC from AUS and DAL. There is probably still business travel between Houston and SJC since HP and HPE still both have offices at Compaq's former headquarters in Houston, and there might possibly be enough demand for Southwest to add nonstop flights between HOU and SJC with HP and HPE having offices in the Houston area.
 
jplatts
Topic Author
Posts: 717
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Southwest expansion at Houston Hobby

Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:48 pm

phluser wrote:
WN used to serve HOU-PHL and more recently used to serve HOU-EWR, the closest major airport for Northern and Central NJ. Interestingly in MKE, Southwest is the largest carrier there, but doesn't fly either MKE-BNA or MKE-HOU, even though it's to another major WN station in the same time zone, so not incredibly far. WN might struggle on some markets against UA (at IAH) or reluctant to compete again on HOU-PHL atleast. Atleast with DAL, it has some advantage with DAL being closer to downtown Dallas to make domestic routes work out of pax preference of DAL against the DFW carriers, and maybe the difference origin out of and demand to Dallas is also greater than Houston. WN seems to have greater confidence with DAL (against AA/DFW) than it does out of HOU (against UA/IAH).


Southwest has a significant presence at DEN and LAX, both of which are also United Airlines hub airports, and also operates out of SFO, EWR, and IAD, all of which are hubs for United Airlines. Southwest also has a significant presence at OAK, which is near United's SFO hub, at BWI, which serves the Washington, D.C. area along with IAD (an United Airlines hub airport) and DCA, and at MDW, which is near United's home base at ORD. Southwest also does flights out of LGA that compete against United flights out of EWR. Southwest and United actually both have a significant presence in 6 of the 7 United Airlines hub cities in the contiguous U.S., even though Southwest does most of its D.C. area flights out of BWI, does most of its San Francisco Bay Area flights out of OAK, serves Chicago exclusively through MDW, and serves Houston exclusively through HOU.

Why would Southwest struggle against UA on some of the markets out of HOU if it does not have the same issues doing so out of BWI, OAK, or MDW?

BWI and IAD both serve Washington, D.C., but the two airports are on opposite sides of Washington, D.C. and the two airports are almost 60 miles from each other. MDW and ORD are closer to each other than HOU and IAH are or SFO and OAK are, but Southwest has an even larger presence at MDW than it does in HOU. SFO and OAK are on opposite sides of San Francisco Bay and SFO is slightly closer to Downtown SF than OAK is, but the driving distance between HOU and IAH is almost as far as the driving distance between SFO and OAK.

Why would Southwest struggle with competition from UA on HOU-PHL if Southwest still does nonstops to PHL from DEN and MDW, both of which compete against United nonstops to PHL from DEN and ORD, and if Southwest is even going to be adding an additional nonstop from DEN to PHL starting on August 15th?
 
LAXdude1023
Posts: 4905
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: Southwest expansion at Houston Hobby

Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:47 pm

Comparing Dallas and Houston to one another isnt an apples to apples comparison. Dallas is a MUCH bigger domestic O&D market than Houston. Its almost 50% larger. Saying "DAL has XYZ, so HOU should have XYZ" isnt a good way to look at it.
It is what it is...
 
jplatts
Topic Author
Posts: 717
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Southwest expansion at Houston Hobby

Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:36 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
Comparing Dallas and Houston to one another isnt an apples to apples comparison. Dallas is a MUCH bigger domestic O&D market than Houston. Its almost 50% larger. Saying "DAL has XYZ, so HOU should have XYZ" isnt a good way to look at it.


SFO, DTW, and PHL, and SJC are some of the largest O&D markets from Houston that are served nonstop from IAH but not from HOU.
 
LAXdude1023
Posts: 4905
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: Southwest expansion at Houston Hobby

Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:52 pm

jplatts wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
Comparing Dallas and Houston to one another isnt an apples to apples comparison. Dallas is a MUCH bigger domestic O&D market than Houston. Its almost 50% larger. Saying "DAL has XYZ, so HOU should have XYZ" isnt a good way to look at it.


SFO, DTW, and PHL, and SJC are some of the largest O&D markets from Houston that are served nonstop from IAH but not from HOU.


And the point is?
It is what it is...
 
jplatts
Topic Author
Posts: 717
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Southwest expansion at Houston Hobby

Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:02 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
jplatts wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
Comparing Dallas and Houston to one another isnt an apples to apples comparison. Dallas is a MUCH bigger domestic O&D market than Houston. Its almost 50% larger. Saying "DAL has XYZ, so HOU should have XYZ" isnt a good way to look at it.


SFO, DTW, and PHL, and SJC are some of the largest O&D markets from Houston that are served nonstop from IAH but not from HOU.


And the point is?


Southwest actually does have room to add nonstop service from HOU to additional domestic destinations that do not currently have nonstop service from HOU, and Southwest is actually going to be starting HOU-MKE nonstop service on March 8, 2018. Southwest wants to expand domestically out of HOU in order to provide easier access to international connections out of HOU. I do expect Southwest to add nonstop service out of HOU to additional destinations in California, the Midwestern U.S, the Caribbean, Central America, and South America in the near future and I do expect Southwest to announce new nonstop routes out of HOU within the next year.
 
User avatar
SteveXC500
Posts: 312
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:38 pm

Re: Southwest expansion at Houston Hobby

Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:12 pm

jplatts wrote:
MSP is one of the largest markets out of Houston that is not served nonstop from HOU. In addition, there are only two legacy carriers (UA and DL) who have year-round nonstop service between IAH and MSP and Spirit only operates IAH-MSP nonstop service on a seasonal schedule. Sun Country doesn't even serve either Houston Airport. Southwest could add nonstop service between HOU-MSP, and there might be enough demand for Southwest do add HOU-MSP nonstop service.



"There MIGHT be enough demand." This could be true, but it needs factual data behind it. Then, there is the issue of which routes in the WN network are higher on the list than HOU-MSP. Do they have adequate gate availability for the schedule times they would like to run flights on this route? Do they have the aircraft to serve this route among their entire network? As you've mentioned, UA and DL serve it just fine. Today, UA ran the following: A319, A319, E170, E170, E175, B737. DL ran 5-CR9's and 1 E170. NK has an A320. Houston, in general, is probably adequately served. Additionally, this is probably the most mainline we have seen from UA on this route since CO served the market.

It seems rather like throwing darts here and seeing if they stick. Sure, as someone who resides in the Twin Cities, I would like to see WN serve about 15 cities at 35-45 flights per day. Today, they won't have the gates or the planes to do so and I would imagine they have other markets (not head-to-head in a DL hub) they would like to focus on.
 
User avatar
par13del
Posts: 7422
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:14 pm

Re: Southwest expansion at Houston Hobby

Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:33 pm

Before the new WA, WN had the Texas two step, no reason why they cannot on a temporary basis combine some routes using the larger a/c to maintain the same frequencies with less equipment. It can also increase yields as LF should go up allowing an increase in fare.
Just a thought

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos