ZeeZoo
Topic Author

Does United get preferential treatment from Boeing? Or is it strictly business?

Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:52 pm

Obviously once being one, Boeing and United, does United have a sense of sentimental value towards Boeing and vice versa with United being given slightly preferential treatment by Boeing or is it strictly 100% business?

adamblang

Re: Does United get preferential treatment from Boeing? Or is it strictly business?

Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:55 pm

Boeing and United, neither being a sentient beings, can't have sentimental value. And none of the people working for either company now were around when Boeing and United were one – no memory to draw back on.

Plus neither company's shareholders would stand for decisions made for reasons other than business value.
146 319 320 321 332 333 343 717 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 763 764 772 773 789 AR1 AT4 CNA CR2 CR7 DC9 ER3 ERD ER4 E70 E75 E90

DfwRevolution

Re: Does United get preferential treatment from Boeing? Or is it strictly business?

Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:58 pm

ZeeZoo wrote:
Obviously once being one, Boeing and United, does United have a sense of sentimental value towards Boeing and vice versa with United being given slightly preferential treatment by Boeing or is it strictly 100% business?

UA is an influential client, but that is because of their size and buying power; not their distant heritage. UA was spun-off from Boeing about the time that the grandparents of today's management was being born. There's no sentimental value there.
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.

Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:50 pm

UA seperated from Boeing in 1931. Would be very difficult to find any employees left from that era still around working.

hOMSaR

Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:35 pm

727200 wrote:
UA seperated from Boeing in 1931. Would be very difficult to find any employees left from that era still around working.

Are there even any employees from that era still alive (let alone working)?

If someone was hired in 1931 at age 18 (assuming they were at least that old) they'd be 104 years old.
The plural of Airbus is Airbuses. Airbii is not a word.
There is no 787-800, nor 787-900 or 747-800. It's 787-8, 787-9, and 747-8.
A321neoLR is also unnecessary. It's simply A321LR.
Airplanes don't have isles, they have aisles.

Freshside3

Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:50 pm

If ANYONE would get preferential treatment from Boeing, it would probably be AS.

Bald1983

Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:13 pm

ZeeZoo wrote:

Before the merger with Continental, United was a mix of Boeing and Airbus. United had not made a purchase order in almost two decades. When United did make a new order, shortly before the merger, it was a mix of Boeing 787's and Airbus A350's. While I understand that the A-350 deliveries may or may not happen, I do believe that fact indicates that United was not a Boeing only airline. Continental was before the merger.

SFOtoORD

Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:32 pm

Freshside3 wrote:
If ANYONE would get preferential treatment from Boeing, it would probably be AS.

I would say that if anyone gets preferential treatment from Boeing it would be EK as the largest widebody purchaser or WN as the largest single manufacturer narrow body purchaser. AS is obviously local to Seattle, but it's more a marriage of convenience and a showcase of a key customer locally.

CX747

Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:52 pm

Pre-merger Continental was a huge customer for Boeing. United was historically a Boeing company too, but jumped to the A320 family in the early 90s. That move alone pretty much had Boeing do the 737NG. It was that eye opening for them.

The 777 was a favorite of both companies and remains to this day (777-300ER). It seems like post merger UA continues to like what Boeing produces as we see the 737-Max order has grown and their 787 fleet is sizeable with more on the way. It looks set to continue with them being an early supporter for the 797 as a replacement for their 757/767 fleet.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

B777LRF

Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:08 pm

Who's got 150 77Ws in the inventory, with another 150 77X on order and an ongoing contest involving 90-ish 78Js? If there's anybody holding Boeing by the short and curlies, it would be them. Luckily for Boeing, however, they've got an order book spread over a diverse and numerous set of clients.
From receips and radials over straight pipes to big fans - been there, done that, got the hearing defects to prove

bananaboy

Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:10 pm

CX747 wrote:
....United was historically a Boeing company too, but jumped to the A320 family in the early 90s....

They had the Caravelle, DC-6, 7, 8 and 10, L1011 TriStar, the Vickers Viscount (plus if you really want to go back, Ford Trimotor, DC-3 and so on.)

Yes, United have operated a shed-load of Boeing aircraft but to say that they were "historically Boeing" until the A320 came along is inaccurate.

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

Newbiepilot

Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:52 pm

Your biggest and best customers tend to get the best customer service. United has a huge Boeing fleet and many more planes on order just like Southwest for example. It is not a surprise that United and Southwest have also previously been launch customers. I would fully expect United to get better treatment at times or have more negotiating power compared to smaller airlines, mostly Airbus airlines or airlines with mostly used planes. For example if United and Allegiant are asking for the same offering on planes in their existing fleets, who do you think will be able to negotiate more favorable terms?

VC10er

Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:23 am

This is kind of a dumb question, but does the fact their execs can go get a deep dish pizza together at anytime by walking down the street, do you think that benefits Boeing?
I prefer flying over the vacation itself! I go on business trips just so I can fly!

TWA772LR

Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:35 am

CX747 wrote:
Pre-merger Continental was a huge customer for Boeing. United was historically a Boeing company too, but jumped to the A320 family in the early 90s. That move alone pretty much had Boeing do the 737NG. It was that eye opening for them.

The 777 was a favorite of both companies and remains to this day (777-300ER). It seems like post merger UA continues to like what Boeing produces as we see the 737-Max order has grown and their 787 fleet is sizeable with more on the way. It looks set to continue with them being an early supporter for the 797 as a replacement for their 757/767 fleet.

CO being all Boeing was the result of Bethune being a former Boeing VP, I believe he also spearheaded the 737NG but I could be wrong. Going even further, GE became a stakeholder during the BK of the early 90s, hence GE engines on the 777, 787 and 767s, and possibly another factor (albeit small) in the 737NG order.
"It's not getting to the land of the nonrev that's the problem, it's getting back." ~~Captain Hector Barbossa

BoeingGuy

Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:20 am

bananaboy wrote:
CX747 wrote:
....United was historically a Boeing company too, but jumped to the A320 family in the early 90s....

They had the Caravelle, DC-6, 7, 8 and 10, L1011 TriStar, the Vickers Viscount (plus if you really want to go back, Ford Trimotor, DC-3 and so on.)

Yes, United have operated a shed-load of Boeing aircraft but to say that they were "historically Boeing" until the A320 came along is inaccurate.

Mark

UA bought DC-10s, not L-1011s. They inherited L-1011s from Pan Am.

As others noted, it's a business. Like any business, the largest customers may be treated well, but that's a business benefit not sentimental.

b6sea

Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:42 am

One could ask the same question about whether Boeing gets preferential treatment from United Technologies (esp Pratt & Whitney), as a supplier to Boeing, and the other third of the formerly combined United Airlines/United Aircraft(now UTC)/Boeing Airplane Co. that was broken off when United Airlines and Boeing were split apart. My guess is that it's the same as any business relationship but these are all publicly traded companies and virtually everyone who was around to see the companies as anything other than customer/supplier to each other is dead or close to it.

My guess is that the amount of pressure on each of these companies and their boards to conduct business as usual, or as the markets would dictate, is far stronger than any nostalgia about the old days that might be kicking around. Although I think it would also be inaccurate to say there aren't people in each company who are aware of the history and mythologize it somewhat, or have some sort of sentimental historical bond to the other companies. If nothing else, it's something to talk about at press conferences.

Keep in mind at one time or another Boeing has owned: Pratt & Whitney, United Technologies (United Aircraft), Hamilton Sundstrand, Chance Vought, United Airlines, Rocketdyne, and deHavilland Canada among others. And those are just the companies that have been un-merged at some point.

BravoOne

Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:49 am

You can be sure that when SWA calls, the phone call is answered or the call is returned promptly.

jakubz

Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:32 am

And just to stir the pot a little more, I think that United tried to play Boeing and Douglas off of each other with the 707 and DC-8. I think United ordered 20 and 25, respectively at or near launch.

Again, this is based on my memory of what I have read. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
KORD > RJAA > KORD day trip? Why not! The beauty of non-reving.
Yes, I use ICAO codes
Flown: PA-28, PA-38
Passenger on: A319/A320 737, 747, 757, 767, 777, 787-8
Finally got on a 747!

I work for United Airlines, but I don't speak for the company.

United1

Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:06 am

jakubz wrote:
And just to stir the pot a little more, I think that United tried to play Boeing and Douglas off of each other with the 707 and DC-8. I think United ordered 20 and 25, respectively at or near launch.

Again, this is based on my memory of what I have read. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Think that was PA....

UA ordered the DC-8 (lots of them) and a number of 720s. UA never operated the 707 actually.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

jakubz

Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:07 am

United1 wrote:
jakubz wrote:

Think that was PA....

UA ordered the DC-8 (lots of them) and a number of 720s. UA never operated the 707 actually.

Fair enough. Still that story illustrates the point that UA was (at least in that instance) not completely aligned with Boeing.
KORD > RJAA > KORD day trip? Why not! The beauty of non-reving.
Yes, I use ICAO codes
Flown: PA-28, PA-38
Passenger on: A319/A320 737, 747, 757, 767, 777, 787-8
Finally got on a 747!

I work for United Airlines, but I don't speak for the company.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos