AirbusOnly
Topic Author
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:06 am

ICELAND: Low-fare airlines to Akureyri instead of Keflavík Airport in SS 17?

Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:06 pm

Iceland tourism and airport authorities are looking for methods to get the massive
rise of tourism and due to that the congestion of KEF airport under their Control:

http://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/news/natur ... eflavik_a/
 
cschleic
Posts: 1340
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 10:47 pm

Re: ICELAND: Low-fare airlines to Akureyri instead of Keflavík Airport in SS 17?

Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:19 pm

AirbusOnly wrote:
Iceland tourism and airport authorities are looking for methods to get the massive
rise of tourism and due to that the congestion of KEF airport under their Control:

http://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/news/natur ... eflavik_a/


Having flown to Akureyri, and looking at the photo of the airport, I have to wonder how much traffic the infrastructure there can handle. Besides, is all that low-fare traffic going to that area or the other side of the island? Akureyri is a beautiful area. I'd rather not see it run over with income flights and passengers.
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 1353
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: ICELAND: Low-fare airlines to Akureyri instead of Keflavík Airport in SS 17?

Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:23 pm

Could be the first Ryanair destination in Iceland. So far Ryanair is the only large European LCC that doesn't fly to Iceland and the ones that do, including WOW Air, only fly to Keflavik.

Ryanair has the ability to create a demand where there was none before and I think they can also do that here.
 
c933103
Posts: 1055
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: ICELAND: Low-fare airlines to Akureyri instead of Keflavík Airport in SS 17?

Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:32 pm

Population of the city is 17k.... Does the city have enough capability to handle income traffic that would be brought in by LCC?
 
User avatar
JannEejit
Posts: 493
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:04 pm

Re: ICELAND: Low-fare airlines to Akureyri instead of Keflavík Airport in SS 17?

Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:36 pm

The Icelandair painted DC-3/C-47 is based at Akureyri, the local aviation society also run an airshow in June. I've toyed with the idea of going several times, but the connecting flight from Keflavik is ridiculously expensive. Perhaps a lo-co could tempt me up there ? Ryanair could maybe offer it as an alternative from UK airports already serviced by Icelandair ?
 
conaly
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 10:50 pm

Re: ICELAND: Low-fare airlines to Akureyri instead of Keflavík Airport in SS 17?

Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:51 pm

c933103 wrote:
Population of the city is 17k.... Does the city have enough capability to handle income traffic that would be brought in by LCC?


Most people going to Iceland for tourism don't stay in a certain area but travel around the island. So I believe you wouldn't need so much additional infrastructure in the city, as Akureyri is already an important stopover-point for a lot of individual and group tourists. I think besides from more rental car opportunities (which are mostly in Keflavik so far) the city is already well prepared.

The airport on the other hand I don't know, have only driven by and seen only some smaller props operating there. But I've read that AEY was used as an alternate for KEF during the volcano incident in 2010.
 
by738
Posts: 2613
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2000 7:59 am

Re: ICELAND: Low-fare airlines to Akureyri instead of Keflavík Airport in SS 17?

Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:59 pm

As a smallish destination (rather than a transfer hub), I always wondered if the Iceland bubble would burst, theres only so many people who'll want to go and I dont get the feeling that people repeatedly return.
 
CHI87LG
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:46 am

Re: ICELAND: Low-fare airlines to Akureyri instead of Keflavík Airport in SS 17?

Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:24 pm

This is just shifting the disaster to another place. Tourism is great for some parts of Iceland's society, but the way it's been handled and the sheer size of the boom is placing a lot of pressure on the tiny society there. It's not a tenable situation, and I fail to understand how stuffing more tourists in a different spot (even more incapable of handling it) will resolve anything. It would definitely give Akureyri a shot in the arm (quite a long trip from Reykjavik) but that city is SMALL.
 
jetfan
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:35 am

Re: ICELAND: Low-fare airlines to Akureyri instead of Keflavík Airport in SS 17?

Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:40 pm

Strange idea to abuse KEF as a hub for Europe-America and divert the traffic to and from Iceland to Akureyri. Mass tourism will change the beautiful surroundings of Akureyri for sure, and mostly not positively. It is OK to shuffle the mass tourism around the "Golden Circle" and keep the rest of Iceland for the more individual tourism. No need for low-cost in Akureyri. To have the occasional holiday charter would be OK, but please don't bring in the stag and hen chaots Ryanair typically brings.
Besides, Akureyri has a wonderful aviation museum worth a visit.
 
thegoldenargosy
Posts: 573
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:14 am

Re: ICELAND: Low-fare airlines to Akureyri instead of Keflavík Airport in SS 17?

Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:18 pm

Isn't the majority of traffic at KEF low fare carriers?
 
NickLAX
Posts: 217
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:48 pm

Re: ICELAND: Low-fare airlines to Akureyri instead of Keflavík Airport in SS 17?

Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:33 pm

Having been all around Iceland the last 20 years multiple times, Akureyri is likely only good as a summer season destination - plus where the heck do you stay if it'a planeful a day. In Winter: Fine to drive Route 1 Westbound towards Blönduós or further Reykjavík but going eastbound past Egilsstaðir is tough at times

What's the issue on addressing capacity at Keflavik properly? Fear of it being a "bubble" on current pax
 
User avatar
kelvin933
Posts: 376
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:20 am

Re: ICELAND: Low-fare airlines to Akureyri instead of Keflavík Airport in SS 17?

Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:39 pm

This is not going to happen in SS17 the terminal at AEY struggles to handle the occasional charter.
To handle scheduled flights it would need proper Schengen area visa processing and security screening. As far as I can see this speech by the chairman of the travel industry lobby group was primarily aimed at ISAVIA and the politicians that have been busy sitting in their backsides for the last 24 months since the KEF airport masterplan was published.
Last year 7 new remote stands were opened and during the last 12 months a 7000 m2 facility has been constructed to provide better facilities for passengers using those remote gates (restaurants, sitting area etc.)

No development plan for KEF has been submitted to the planning board yet.

Rush hour at AEY in 2010
Image

Akureyri terminal and apron
Image


Akureyri aviation museum
Image
“Nations have no permanent friends or allies, they only have permanent interests.”
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 1353
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: ICELAND: Low-fare airlines to Akureyri instead of Keflavík Airport in SS 17?

Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:52 pm

thegoldenargosy wrote:
Isn't the majority of traffic at KEF low fare carriers?


Keflavik is totally irrelevant here, it's all the way at the other side of the island. That's quite a distance. Still it surprises me Ryanair doesn't fly to Keflavik either. It sees EasyJet, Eurowings, Norwegian, Transavia, Vueling, Wizzair and WOW Air.

Seems to me like Akureyri is big enough, I've seen Ryanair operate into smaller airports. Of course it shouldn't be flooded with flights, but a few flights a week can't hurt. It would boost tourism, which means economical growth for the area.
 
nadavatar64
Posts: 240
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:44 pm

Re: ICELAND: Low-fare airlines to Akureyri instead of Keflavík Airport in SS 17?

Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:37 pm

I think Ryanair are the only ones who can fly there but I dont see that happening before they try KEF.
 
TheGeordielad
Posts: 818
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:08 pm

Re: ICELAND: Low-fare airlines to Akureyri instead of Keflavík Airport in SS 17?

Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:24 pm

Looks way to small. I don't think Iceland Air or WOW air would want to use it.If it does come to Iceland needing to do this the airlines that would probably use this airport would probably be EasyJet,Norwegian and Wizz Air or possibly Ryanair if they wanted to try the market.
 
planeguy
Posts: 328
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2001 4:42 am

Re: ICELAND: Low-fare airlines to Akureyri instead of Keflavík Airport in SS 17?

Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:18 pm

I may be flamed for posing this question, but how feasible would it be for a lo-co like Ryanair to serve Reykjavik's domestic terminal (RKV) instead? (alongside Air Iceland)
 
Natflyer
Posts: 562
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:29 pm

Re: ICELAND: Low-fare airlines to Akureyri instead of Keflavík Airport in SS 17?

Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:20 pm

planeguy wrote:
I may be flamed for posing this question, but how feasible would it be for a lo-co like Ryanair to serve Reykjavik's domestic terminal (RKV) instead (alongside Air Iceland)?


A non-starter for three reasons. Runway length, lack of facilites and noise issues.
 
mjoelnir
Posts: 5569
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: ICELAND: Low-fare airlines to Akureyri instead of Keflavík Airport in SS 17?

Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:21 pm

Akureyri airport is tiny in regards to the terminal. There are extending the apron using material out of the tunnel under Vaðlaheið to the East of Akureyri. There is the possibility for border control, customs and security for departing flights. They could manage a few flights a day. The runway is 2,400 m and AEY is a diversion airport for KEF. There are cruise ships calling in to Akureyri during the summer, so it is not completely unusual to have heaps of tourists in the town.
There is also Egilsstaðir Airport with a 2,000 m runway, also a diversion airport for KEF. Both airports have seen the occasional direct flight to a destination in Europe.
I can well imagine a few flights during the summer going to this two airports, but that would hardly put in a dent into the traffic KEF is getting.

information about AEY: https://www.isavia.is/files/aey_tech_sheet_-_web.pdf

information about EGS: https://www.isavia.is/files/egs-tech-sheet_cropped.pdf
 
Q
Posts: 730
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2000 10:29 am

Re: ICELAND: Low-fare airlines to Akureyri instead of Keflavík Airport in SS 17?

Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:25 pm

I remembered that Hello Airlines MD-90 flew from London to AEY nonstop some years ago. Hello went out of business.


Q
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 1353
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: ICELAND: Low-fare airlines to Akureyri instead of Keflavík Airport in SS 17?

Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:30 pm

Q wrote:
I remembered that Hello Airlines MD-90 flew from London to AEY nonstop some years ago. Hello went out of business.


When Iceland Express was still around they also had some flights out of Akureyri to several places in Europe. Not as many as out of Keflavik, but it was their secondary hub. Iceland Express was also a LCC and in a way a precursor of WOW Air.

planeguy wrote:
I may be flamed for posing this question, but how feasible would it be for a lo-co like Ryanair to serve Reykjavik's domestic terminal (RKV) instead? (alongside Air Iceland)


Impossible, that airport is way too small. The longest runway is only 1567 meters long, that's too short for a 737 or similar. The platform isn't built for it either, the parkings are too narrow for such a big aircraft. Plus the airport is too close to the city so noise regulations apply.

Even if it was possible, it probably would be cheaper to use Keflavik instead. Reykjavik airport is so close to the city it's more of a business airport, kind of like London City airport. A business airline like CityJet might be able to do something with it, a LCC like Ryanair not.
 
prebennorholm
Posts: 6575
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2000 6:25 am

Re: ICELAND: Low-fare airlines to Akureyri instead of Keflavík Airport in SS 17?

Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:41 am

Q wrote:
I remembered that Hello Airlines MD-90 flew from London to AEY nonstop some years ago. Hello went out of business.

I think it was also Hello some ten years ago flying a triangle route ZRH-AEY-KEF-ZRH. I met one Swiss friend in Reykjavik who used that route. He mentioned that very few pax deboarded at AEY.

Back in 2003 Air Greenland had a weekly CPH-AEY-CPH run with modest success.

But it is a very strange initiative by a travel industry association chairman. He should know better than most people that tourist industry in new areas isn't developed by restricting it in other areas.

If he wants tourist industry in Akureyri and northern Iceland, then first of all the facilities up there shall be in place. That's not made in a few years in a way so airliners can be sent from various European and American destinations. In the meantime the only way will be to have high frequency and low fare connection between KEF and AEY. The present businessman's REK-AEY route doesn't qualify for that job.

Akureyri is a nice place - been there, but the tourist facilities are so tiny that we need magnifying glass to find them. Present day facilities will be completely broken by taking more than a few percent of what Reykjavik is exposed to these days.

But anyway, I'm not sure that the present boom in tourism in Iceland is lasting. It will likely never get back down to the level ten years ago, but the present boom is likely a bubble. Endless millions of tourists are at present reluctant to visit places like Turkey or Egypt and are looking for more quiet places. A few percent of them eyed Iceland as an alternative. But for most it will be a once in a lifetime experience. There are plenty of hardcore Iceland tourists who must visit the country two or three times each year, but they are not the type which has boomed over the last couple of years.

Also the Icelandic economy has now fully recovered from the GFC. Over the last year or two the local currency has increased its value by 25-30%, so from price level being sort of "average" Iceland has again become a really expensive tourist country.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs
 
steman
Posts: 1456
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2000 4:55 pm

Re: ICELAND: Low-fare airlines to Akureyri instead of Keflavík Airport in SS 17?

Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:31 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:

Impossible, that airport is way too small. The longest runway is only 1567 meters long, that's too short for a 737 or similar. The platform isn't built for it either, the parkings are too narrow for such a big aircraft. Plus the airport is too close to the city so noise regulations apply.



I was in Reykjavik last September and I´ve seen an Atlantic Airways A319 take off from Reykjavik City airport. That flight was probably going to the Faröer Islands which are only halfway to Mainland Europe so the plane was probably very light, but it shows the airport could handle planes bigger than the Dash8-200 and small turboprops mostly flying out of it now.
Having said that, I do wish Ryanair stays away from Iceland. It is such an incredibly beautiful place and the people are so nice but it´s a very delicate environment. Mass tourism can destroy it.
 
prebennorholm
Posts: 6575
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2000 6:25 am

Re: ICELAND: Low-fare airlines to Akureyri instead of Keflavík Airport in SS 17?

Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:32 am

steman wrote:
I was in Reykjavik last September and I´ve seen an Atlantic Airways A319 take off from Reykjavik City airport.

FAE-REK with Atlantic's A319 was for some time the only jet service at REK. It ended October last year.

REK can accommodate 737, 757, A320 family planes, but not at anywhere near MTOW. It is occationaly (but seldom) used for weather diversions followed by an empty positioning flight to KEF.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs
 
mjoelnir
Posts: 5569
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: ICELAND: Low-fare airlines to Akureyri instead of Keflavík Airport in SS 17?

Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:14 am

prebennorholm wrote:
steman wrote:
I was in Reykjavik last September and I´ve seen an Atlantic Airways A319 take off from Reykjavik City airport.

FAE-REK with Atlantic's A319 was for some time the only jet service at REK. It ended October last year.

REK can accommodate 737, 757, A320 family planes, but not at anywhere near MTOW. It is occationaly (but seldom) used for weather diversions followed by an empty positioning flight to KEF.


The empty positioning flight is not because the airplanes can not take off in REK, but when normal service resumes the passengers are already moved and normal service does not start in REK. There is the occasional flight using a 757-200 to move a bigger number of passengers, after for example a storm having disrupted domestic service, between REK and AEY or vice versa.
Atlantic Airways does currently fly FAE-REK-FAE according to their website.
 
lowfareair
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:40 pm

Re: ICELAND: Low-fare airlines to Akureyri instead of Keflavík Airport in SS 17?

Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:44 pm

The CS100 would be perfect for RKV's longest runway, which is at similar elevation and length as LCY. While facilities to regularly handle that many pax would be an issue (as well as convincing the locals to allow a plane that large to land there), the aircraft should be able to do Western Europe with ease and still meet noise regulations for the airport.
 
mjoelnir
Posts: 5569
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: ICELAND: Low-fare airlines to Akureyri instead of Keflavík Airport in SS 17?

Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:16 pm

lowfareair wrote:
The CS100 would be perfect for RKV's longest runway, which is at similar elevation and length as LCY. While facilities to regularly handle that many pax would be an issue (as well as convincing the locals to allow a plane that large to land there), the aircraft should be able to do Western Europe with ease and still meet noise regulations for the airport.


No airline flying to Iceland uses a frame as small as the C100. Furthermore no steep approach or departure is necessary. REK would handle a 787-800 or an A320 quite well.
The clash is mainly the policy to move any traffic that has not to be in REK to KEF. The airport authorities are holding the airport open against the wishes of the city government to close it down. The city managed to force the closing of runway 06/24 even if it is sometimes necessary to accommodate air ambulances in bad weather. Nobody wants to stress that relationship further.
 
lowfareair
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:40 pm

Re: ICELAND: Low-fare airlines to Akureyri instead of Keflavík Airport in SS 17?

Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:17 pm

mjoelnir wrote:
lowfareair wrote:
The CS100 would be perfect for RKV's longest runway, which is at similar elevation and length as LCY. While facilities to regularly handle that many pax would be an issue (as well as convincing the locals to allow a plane that large to land there), the aircraft should be able to do Western Europe with ease and still meet noise regulations for the airport.


No airline flying to Iceland uses a frame as small as the C100. Furthermore no steep approach or departure is necessary. REK would handle a 787-800 or an A320 quite well.


RKV's longest runway can handle a 787-8 to mainland Europe without a significant weight penalty? The A320 is a pipe dream, there were struggles getting F9 to use it out of TTN, which has a 1,000 ft longer runway and is also at sea level.

Either way, part of the CS100 appeal for RKV would be the lower passenger counts for what is a relatively small airport - target it more to the business travelers rather than the leisure ones (LX out of ZRH, for example), and it could see some modest success.
 
mjoelnir
Posts: 5569
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: ICELAND: Low-fare airlines to Akureyri instead of Keflavík Airport in SS 17?

Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:48 pm

lowfareair wrote:
mjoelnir wrote:
lowfareair wrote:
The CS100 would be perfect for RKV's longest runway, which is at similar elevation and length as LCY. While facilities to regularly handle that many pax would be an issue (as well as convincing the locals to allow a plane that large to land there), the aircraft should be able to do Western Europe with ease and still meet noise regulations for the airport.


No airline flying to Iceland uses a frame as small as the C100. Furthermore no steep approach or departure is necessary. REK would handle a 787-800 or an A320 quite well.


RKV's longest runway can handle a 787-8 to mainland Europe without a significant weight penalty? The A320 is a pipe dream, there were struggles getting F9 to use it out of TTN, which has a 1,000 ft longer runway and is also at sea level.

Either way, part of the CS100 appeal for RKV would be the lower passenger counts for what is a relatively small airport - target it more to the business travelers rather than the leisure ones (LX out of ZRH, for example), and it could see some modest success.


I misspelled was thinking about the 737-800, I know that a 787-800 does not exist. Why should the A320 be a pipe dream? Going out to Europe it does not need MTOW. There are only three airlines flying to North America WOW, Delta and Icelandair. If we look at Wizz, EasyJet, Vueling Transavia, Edelweis, Thomson, Primera, Germania, Fytbe, Iberia Express, Germania and so on, nobody uses something bigger than a A320 or 737-800 to Iceland and only from and to Europe. The only airline flying to Iceland using in their fleet a Bombardier C is AirBaltic with a few C300.

Whom to you expect to buy C100 to fly them to Iceland only? But if you would read what others write, than you would know, that I do not expect any expansion of international flights from REK anyway.
 
lowfareair
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:40 pm

Re: ICELAND: Low-fare airlines to Akureyri instead of Keflavík Airport in SS 17?

Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:26 pm

mjoelnir wrote:
I misspelled was thinking about the 737-800, I know that a 787-800 does not exist. Why should the A320 be a pipe dream? Going out to Europe it does not need MTOW.


You might want to re-read my posts again, where I provide a specific example of why I would not expect the A320 would not work out of RKV (F9 at TTN).

There are only three airlines flying to North America WOW, Delta and Icelandair.


You missed one.

Whom to you expect to buy C100 to fly them to Iceland only? But if you would read what others write, than you would know, that I do not expect any expansion of international flights from REK anyway.


Again, you might want to re-read my posts, where I provide a specific example of an airline that could use their CS100 to fly to RKV.

Also, just because you don't expect an expansion of int'l flights from RKV does not mean that others can't speculate about what it would take to see such a thing.
 
Natflyer
Posts: 562
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:29 pm

Re: ICELAND: Low-fare airlines to Akureyri instead of Keflavík Airport in SS 17?

Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:46 pm

mjoelnir wrote:
lowfareair wrote:
mjoelnir wrote:

No airline flying to Iceland uses a frame as small as the C100. Furthermore no steep approach or departure is necessary. REK would handle a 787-800 or an A320 quite well.


RKV's longest runway can handle a 787-8 to mainland Europe without a significant weight penalty? The A320 is a pipe dream, there were struggles getting F9 to use it out of TTN, which has a 1,000 ft longer runway and is also at sea level.

Either way, part of the CS100 appeal for RKV would be the lower passenger counts for what is a relatively small airport - target it more to the business travelers rather than the leisure ones (LX out of ZRH, for example), and it could see some modest success.


I misspelled was thinking about the 737-800, I know that a 787-800 does not exist. Why should the A320 be a pipe dream? Going out to Europe it does not need MTOW. There are only three airlines flying to North America WOW, Delta and Icelandair. If we look at Wizz, EasyJet, Vueling Transavia, Edelweis, Thomson, Primera, Germania, Fytbe, Iberia Express, Germania and so on, nobody uses something bigger than a A320 or 737-800 to Iceland and only from and to Europe. The only airline flying to Iceland using in their fleet a Bombardier C is AirBaltic with a few C300.

Whom to you expect to buy C100 to fly them to Iceland only? But if you would read what others write, than you would know, that I do not expect any expansion of international flights from REK anyway.


First of all, the IATA code for the Reykjavik city airport is RKV. REK is the city code for both KEF and RKV. A B737-800 does not really work out of RKV. And Boeing will tell you so. At best it achieves a take-off weight of 66 tonnes due to runway length and obstructions. Not my numbers, but Boeings. That leaves a useful weight of about 13 tonnes at best, fuel and pax. So how many pax do you wanna fly and where? 60-70 pax to Glasgow? Hardly worth it.
 
User avatar
SRQKEF
Posts: 1138
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:10 pm

Re: ICELAND: Low-fare airlines to Akureyri instead of Keflavík Airport in SS 17?

Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:19 pm

lowfareair wrote:
mjoelnir wrote:
I misspelled was thinking about the 737-800, I know that a 787-800 does not exist. Why should the A320 be a pipe dream? Going out to Europe it does not need MTOW.


You might want to re-read my posts again, where I provide a specific example of why I would not expect the A320 would not work out of RKV (F9 at TTN).

There are only three airlines flying to North America WOW, Delta and Icelandair.


You missed one.

Whom to you expect to buy C100 to fly them to Iceland only? But if you would read what others write, than you would know, that I do not expect any expansion of international flights from REK anyway.


Again, you might want to re-read my posts, where I provide a specific example of an airline that could use their CS100 to fly to RKV.

Also, just because you don't expect an expansion of int'l flights from RKV does not mean that others can't speculate about what it would take to see such a thing.


I'm from RKV, and I can assure you there is absolutely no need to speculate anything about international service here. The A319 of RC (which still operates here in summer, but KEF in winter) is basically allowed to fly here due to grandfather rights. Aside from that, there is no chance at all that international flights are allowed to operate from RKV due to political reasons. The fight right now is to keep the airport open in any capacity, expansion isn't even a pipe dream in the current political climate.

ZRH would never sustain a flight oriented towards biz travellers by the way. The only destinations that would warrant a service like that are LCY and CPH.

Regards!
Sveinn
Nothing compares to taking off in an empty 757 with full thrust!
 
A330
Posts: 692
Joined: Wed May 19, 1999 12:31 am

Re: ICELAND: Low-fare airlines to Akureyri instead of Keflavík Airport in SS 17?

Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:00 pm

Just a quick note...I am currently a Captain with an Icelandic airline flying B747-400's...
We train short field landings in the sim. with landings in RKV
Shiek!
 
varsity
Posts: 330
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 1999 4:51 pm

Re: ICELAND: Low-fare airlines to Akureyri instead of Keflavík Airport in SS 17?

Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:18 pm

This sounds selfish but having been to Iceland twice I was kind of sorry it was "discovered" recently a bigger tourist destination. Beyond airports I have been reading horror stories about how the limited infrastructure at historic sites and other places is being overwhelmed by the hordes. I'm not sure I want to go back anytime soon.

Akureyri itself has only a handful of restaurants; we stayed in a school dorm because there was not much in the way of hotel accommodation and we got dinner the first night at a convenience store because at 10pm there was very little else open. I agree with the poster above who said the changes needed to make it any kind of a serious tourist destination would change the whole character of it as a town. Calling it a "city" as most of us think of them might paint an unrealistic picture of what to expect.
"Is this the life that you lead... or the life that's led for you?"

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos