SCQ83

Re: IAG Low Cost from BCN will be named "Level"

Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:31 am

Buenos Aires is very interesting.

Argentina has almost no short haul low cost (just starting now) not to mention long haul!

TheGeordielad

Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:20 am

SCQ83 wrote:

Argentina has almost no short haul low cost (just starting now) not to mention long haul!

I guess that's why Norwegian and another airline is starting up there.

TedToToe

Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:14 am

Channex757 wrote:
I will side with Willie on this one. Considering his track record with turning businesses around and delivering profits, I expect he hasn't gotten into this lightly.

Indeed, a very Level headed decision!

kelual

Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:57 am

TheLion wrote:

What is clear is that IAG's management have been in power far too long. The company needs a change of direction from their to-bone cost cutting, bland corporatism, poor treatment of staff, uncaring attitude to customers, disdain towards frequent flyers and so on.

In my view this is the epitome of neoliberal corporatism, its bloated corpse refusing to die, despite being already dead.

I Totally agree with you

pabloeing

Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:52 am

pabloeing wrote:
I just buy tickets to OAK from BCN for only 560€ ¡¡¡¡¡

I buy 3 tickets for 560€.....

rlwynn

Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:43 am

I like it, nice livery and cool Colors.
I can drive faster than you

PatrickZ80

Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:56 am

aerorobnz wrote:
Next LCC offshoots
Stall
Yaw
Rotate
and french LCC "Retard"

FFS. I really can't be bothered by this "Legacy airline by somebody else" just to 'protect the brand'... this is a group that has Iberia, iberia Express, Vueling in spain already.

Surprised no airline has come up with the name "Sheep" yet. If you pronounce it it sounds just like "cheap", and guess what you can use for a logo. The name tells you all about the image of the airline in just one word. Of course with an airline like that you just got to be the sheepest. Uhhh, the cheapest I meant. :P

Catwalk

Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:42 pm

Level has a range of connotations; straightforward, easy, no frills, just right and so on. If anyone has said level or level with me, you know what I mean, more on the slang side of things. But a clean term. "It's level", "I'm flying level".

Sounds just right to me, just works. Hear it once, questioned it, but a few more times and it makes total sense. It'll work no problem with people travelling on a budget somewhere.

LHRFlyer

Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:59 pm

If you look at IAG's six year history everything they have set out to do they have achieved:

- Target €500m annual cost & revenue synergies
- Restructuring Iberia
- Public bids for bmi, Vueling and Aer Lingus

Willie Walsh would not have authorised this project if he didn't think it had a chance of succeeding and I wouldn't bet against WW.

seahawk

Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:25 pm

I think nobody disagrees with the business concept.

Aquila3

Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:27 pm

I hope they won't fly Napoli. The name , translated, sounds scary in Napolitan. Something like death. Google 'A livella' , a famous piece of Prince Antonio de Curtis.
chi vola vale chi vale vola chi non vola è un vile

AEROFAN

Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:01 pm

TheLion wrote:
ARGHHH! THIS IS BLOODY AWFUL!

I really want this venture to fail. The name is meaningless to everyone, Spanish and English speakers alike, plus everyone else who is in existence. It's also confusing for ATC when pilots detail their flying height.

The livery is one of the worst I've ever seen. I kind of like the square but the rest is beyond hideous. It makes the newish Iberia livery actually look classy!

On the flipside, the website design placeholder is decent and actually artistic. I agree with others on here that it does have elements of 20th century art. I don't know why the livery and design don't reflect that instead of this monstrosity.

What were they thinking?!? I want to cry. It's that bad.

They had a chance to either create a new pan-European low cost long haul brand or smartly utilise an existing brand like Vueling. They also could've thought ahead to the potential for Catalan independence and set up a base for Iberia (Express?) to operate a low(er?) cost service which would be ideally positioned to serve the significant market that would be created after independence.

What is clear is that IAG's management have been in power far too long. The company needs a change of direction from their to-bone cost cutting, bland corporatism, poor treatment of staff, uncaring attitude to customers, disdain towards frequent flyers and so on.

In my view this is the epitome of neoliberal corporatism, its bloated corpse refusing to die, despite being already dead.

Clearly management's strategy regarding customers is working. If it wasn't, there would be no customers. Why fix what isn't broke?

shankly

Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:11 pm

Do a google search on the rather funny image of the man in front of the ship wreck....it is one of those stock "off the shelf" pictures....so the launch budget was not even up to hiring a photographer to get some nice launch destination images of Oakland, Barcelona etc

No one has ever offered anything radical in low cost long haul since Freddie Laker said, "turn up on the day, pay cash and bring some sandwiches"
L1011 - P F M

f4f3a

Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:25 pm

With all brand names iag must hold why didn't they just use bea or Caledonian or dan air

PatrickZ80

Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:58 pm

f4f3a wrote:
With all brand names iag must hold why didn't they just use bea or Caledonian or dan air

Because those are names from the past, names that stand for history. They don't stand for a refreshing young new airline, they don't suit the image they want to create here.

TedToToe

Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:16 pm

seahawk wrote:

The name is inextricably linked to the business concept; there are plenty on here that dislike the name. But, strangely, the mood seems to have shifted a little as the thread has moved on.

dcajet

Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:53 pm

SCQ83 wrote:

It is not interesting, it is brilliant. Lots of money to be made there, if the market continues its liberalizing trend.

Besides do not forget that Argentina is home to the largest number of Spaniards living abroad.

According to the local press, Level had a very successful first day in Argentina. It's lowest fares, thru the end of 2017, sold out in 3 hours.

http://www.clarin.com/sociedad/llegaron ... oaKje.html
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

ACCS300

Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:28 pm

Birdwatching wrote:

I don't understand all the complaining. This actually has more color than most of the other start ups or even legacy carriers. And billboard titles in nice large geometric letters. And the 2 colors involved are kind of unique and not the usual shardes of red or blue. I'll be the first to admit that I kind of like it, but I do understand that the forum rules on Airliners.net require you to hate any new livery.

Totally agree, it's bold, fresh and looks unlike any other LCC. People are so quick to hate any new livery then it seems after a few days we get the "..it's growing on me.." comments. The exact same scenario just happened when AC rolled out it's new livery a couple of weeks ago. As commented upon, the branding appeals to Millennials targeting cheap unbundled fares with little frills, retro inspired branding, with cheat-lines etc., won't resonate with the target audience. Like any new branding, give it a chance but I think on the uniqueness front, it wins hands-down and will create instant recall and recognition.

nascar1

Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:59 pm

Level sold 52,000 tickets yesterday.

https://twitter.com/flywithlevelEN/stat ... 5448182784

seahawk

Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:07 pm

TedToToe wrote:
seahawk wrote:

The name is inextricably linked to the business concept; there are plenty on here that dislike the name. But, strangely, the mood seems to have shifted a little as the thread has moved on.

I think there is a different between aviation fans finding a brand not very creative and the brand becoming a problem for the business case. They did not call it "Fly Real", so "Level" will do.

sofianec

Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:16 pm

I find the livery and concept just plain ugly but if it's cheap noone will care. I find Eurowings livery and font horrendous as well but I fly them cause cheapo.
A350WARP

aemoreira1981

Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:18 pm

f4f3a wrote:

Level sounds like LEBL (IATA code for Barcelona). The concept sounds okay...but why not go against Norwegian on Barcelona to New York?

SCQ83

Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:28 pm

dcajet wrote:
Besides do not forget that Argentina is home to the largest number of Spaniards living abroad.

Things are not that easy.

Many of those "Spaniards" in Argentina are 2nd or 3rd generation with virtually no links to Spain. Many have not even ever visited the country.

On the other hand many Argentinians are living in Spain with Spanish or Italian passports. BCN has a large Argentinian diaspora.

So this work more for Argentinians living in Barcelona than the other way around.

alexwm

Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:30 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
f4f3a wrote:

Level sounds like LEBL (IATA code for Barcelona). The concept sounds okay...but why not go against Norwegian on Barcelona to New York?

I guess they're not launching NYC to avoid having a negative impact on AA's revenue in this route. Tokyo and SCL should come next in my view.

TheGeordielad

Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:39 pm

nascar1 wrote:
Level sold 52,000 tickets yesterday.

https://twitter.com/flywithlevelEN/stat ... 5448182784

Wow that's amazing!
Wonder how many of them are connecting passengers using Vueling?

KLDC10

Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:43 pm

I thought the IAG low-cost carrier was called 'British Airways' :duck:

Anyway - the livery isn't so bad. It is actually a lot nicer than Iberia's current scheme. The uniforms are hideous, but if IAG can make it work, then good luck to them. No point writing the airline off before it has begun ;)
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146/Q400/737/738/739/752/772/A320/A332/A333/E190

albertocsc

Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:04 pm

f4f3a wrote:

As it is a Spanish airline, I would had expected some old local names such as Aviaco, Viva Air or Clickair. But Level is not so bad :D just cheap.

dcajet

Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:26 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
dcajet wrote:

Things are not that easy.

Many of those "Spaniards" in Argentina are 2nd or 3rd generation with virtually no links to Spain. Many have not even ever visited the country.

On the other hand many Argentinians are living in Spain with Spanish or Italian passports. BCN has a large Argentinian diaspora.

So this work more for Argentinians living in Barcelona than the other way around.

Oh yeah? No links? Your current and former prime ministers beg to differ with you. Those 2nd and 3rd generation Spaniards all hold dual citizenship and vote in Spain's elections. Both the PP and PSOE candidates always campaign there. Almost a million Spanish citizens in Argentina (the majority with roots in Galicia) is not something to brush to the side.

And while some of those 2nd and 3rd generations may not have traveled to the motherland before, they will now. BCN is just as good a port of entry to Spain as any other.

And of course, the large Argentinian community in Spain will benefit from these flights, not just those from BCN.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

MAH4546

Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:29 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
f4f3a wrote:

Level is not flying to New York (or Miami) because the AA-IAG JBA already has daily service on the route. They aren't going to depress their own yields. If/when Level builds another long-haul base, I'm sure New York and South Florida will be added.
a.

airzona11

Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:56 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Why not brand it Iberia? Because to some people Iberia is a premium airline and they don't want to fly a premium airline. They would never fly Iberia, but they would fly Vueling or Level because that gives them the feeling of being cheap. Iberia doesn't. On the other hand there are people who are a bit more upper class and who don't want to fly a cheap LCC, they want a premium airline. They wouldn't fly Level, but they would fly Iberia. Let's give the people a choice.

Interesting points and thanks for the insight. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. The travelers are going be mainly driven by price. If Iberia offers a flight for $100 and Vueling for $101, the travel who doesn't want to fly a premium airline is going to fly the premium airline Iberia because it is less expensive.

The airlines are obviously largely driven by cost, and operating these flights with the different brands allows them to circumvent labor, pay scale and union agreements at the legacy airline for cheaper operating cost.

The airline industry is very interesting for many reasons, and like many industries is cyclical.

Breathe

Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:12 pm

First post, or as LEVEL would say in their speak: Frst pst ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4JfJ5OyUoI

PatrickZ80

Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:06 pm

airzona11 wrote:
Interesting points and thanks for the insight. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. The travelers are going be mainly driven by price. If Iberia offers a flight for $100 and Vueling for $101, the travel who doesn't want to fly a premium airline is going to fly the premium airline Iberia because it is less expensive.

The difference is that Iberia will always be more expensive because it includes things like a "free" meal and "free" checked luggage. Vueling (or Level in this case) doesn't. Of course, if you have to add those Iberia might as well be cheaper. But who says you do? Suppose you only need hand luggage and you have a meal at the airport before departure and bring a snack on board in your hand luggage. Just the very basics. Then why pay for something you don't use? Those are the kind of passengers LCCs like Level are aiming at while Iberia is aiming at the "all in" passengers who do want free checked luggage and a meal on board and are willing to pay a higher ticket price for that.

PatrickZ80

Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:15 pm

alexwm wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:
f4f3a wrote:

I guess they're not launching NYC to avoid having a negative impact on AA's revenue in this route. Tokyo and SCL should come next in my view.

Of course American is also flying this route, but so is Norwegian. You may say you won't launch it because you don't want passengers to walk away from American, but on the other hand you may argue you'd rather see them walk away to Level than to Norwegian. If they fly Level, then at least they still fly IAG. If they fly Norwegian, they don't and you lost them. So yes, it will hurt American but it'll also hurt Norwegian and that's what Level is all about.

jmmadrid

Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:55 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Of course American is also flying this route, but so is Norwegian. You may say you won't launch it because you don't want passengers to walk away from American, but on the other hand you may argue you'd rather see them walk away to Level than to Norwegian. If they fly Level, then at least they still fly IAG. If they fly Norwegian, they don't and you lost them. So yes, it will hurt American but it'll also hurt Norwegian and that's what Level is all about.

IAG are finding this lesson difficult to learn, but it looks like finally they are getting the grasp of it.
This obsession with protecting the yields and the ultra conservative approach that surrounds and supports it is hampering creativity, innovation and expansion.
I hope LEVEL is the first sign that they are beginning to realise it.

globalcabotage

Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:43 pm

Maybe DFW next year and taking over ORD?

SCQ83

Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:30 am

dcajet wrote:
Oh yeah? No links? Your current and former prime ministers beg to differ with you. Those 2nd and 3rd generation Spaniards all hold dual citizenship and vote in Spain's elections. Both the PP and PSOE candidates always campaign there. Almost a million Spanish citizens in Argentina (the majority with roots in Galicia) is not something to brush to the side.

That is exactly what I said. Many of those people keep (or even gained by "jus sanguinis") Spanish passport. Having a EU passport is not a bad deal when you live in Argentina after all; it is a way to have a 2nd option in a country that goes from economic turmoil to turmoil. It also gives free visa access to way many other countries than an Argentinian passport (starting with the US - ESTA -). So most of that people have it for convenience and that is why so many people keeped or gained it.

But the majority of those Galicians will seldom travel to Spain if ever. So this is a very different thing that those Peruvian inmigrants in Spain or those Spaniards that migrated during the crisis to Chile. That people will travel once a year (or maybe if income allows) back and forth between LATAM and Spain.

dcajet wrote:
And while some of those 2nd and 3rd generations may not have traveled to the motherland before, they will now. BCN is just as good a port of entry to Spain as any other.

I agree with this point, the market can be stimulated.

Varsity1

Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:26 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

This can't be real

jetwet1

Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:57 am

by738 wrote:
" Dreadful", "Dull", "Boring".... do you honestly think they have not invested hugely in this and had some of the best PR and imaging departments behind this ? I know its not glitzy or jazzy, but I am sure they know what they are doing and will know a lot more about focus group demand than the average poster on here.
Its not even started yet so give it a chance.

Even the largest, best known companies in the world make mistakes, look at Coca Cola, the best PR dept. in the world managed to drop the ball big time with "New Coke"

But here is the thing, outside of A'net, are people going to care ? When looking for tickets on web travel sites how often are there pictures of the outside of the aircraft ? Far more important to the majority of people is the price.

Lofty

Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:16 am

Over time will we see Level join the JSA with AA BA and IB?

Having watched the video you can see who Level is aimed at, sleek and modern with no national identity so can be used in any country.

airzona11

Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:23 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
airzona11 wrote:

The difference is that Iberia will always be more expensive because it includes things like a "free" meal and "free" checked luggage. Vueling (or Level in this case) doesn't. Of course, if you have to add those Iberia might as well be cheaper. But who says you do? Suppose you only need hand luggage and you have a meal at the airport before departure and bring a snack on board in your hand luggage. Just the very basics. Then why pay for something you don't use? Those are the kind of passengers LCCs like Level are aiming at while Iberia is aiming at the "all in" passengers who do want free checked luggage and a meal on board and are willing to pay a higher ticket price for that.

Great context, thank you for the detailed response.

Is there / will there be mileage earning? Are the subsidiaries excluded from the JVs?

Cunard

Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:17 am

Your find most airlines subsidiaries especially their Low Cost airlines such as Vueling and the 'new' Level are totally excluded from any JVs and their certainly won't be any mileage earned on them either.

Super88

Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:49 am

they want to LEVEL the playing field....like the color's outside but if you want a cheap seat, it's going to be bland....

Irehdna

Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:12 am

On another note, 5666 nmi BCN to EZE is awfully long for an A332, especially with a dense configuration this 'LEVEL' airlines is operating.

TedToToe

Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:26 am

Cunard wrote:
Your find most airlines subsidiaries especially their Low Cost airlines such as Vueling and the 'new' Level are totally excluded from any JVs and their certainly won't be any mileage earned on them either.

Scroll to the bottom of the linked page below and you will see that Avios accrual is included.

http://www.flylevel.com/your_journey

pabloeing

Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:58 am

EC-MOU and EC-MOY will be the first two planes....serial number 1777 and 1784

pabloeing

Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:58 am

52.000 tickets sold the first day of operation......

KarelXWB
Crew

Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:46 am

Ugly livery.

I'm surprised the A330s will be 8-abreast in Economy Class, instead of 9-abreast.
This server is powered by a lemon and two electrodes.

oldannyboy

Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:47 am

TheLion wrote:
Virginblue4 wrote:
Pretty uninspiring and boring. But nonetheless, it's a new livery to spot.

TheLion wrote:
ARGHHH! THIS IS BLOODY AWFUL!

I really want this venture to fail. The name is meaningless to everyone, Spanish and English speakers alike, plus everyone else who is in existence. It's also confusing for ATC when pilots detail their flying height.

The livery is one of the worst I've ever seen. I kind of like the square but the rest is beyond hideous. It makes the newish Iberia livery actually look classy!

On the flipside, the website design placeholder is decent and actually artistic. I agree with others on here that it does have elements of 20th century art. I don't know why the livery and design don't reflect that instead of this monstrosity.

What were they thinking?!? I want to cry. It's that bad.

They had a chance to either create a new pan-European low cost long haul brand or smartly utilise an existing brand like Vueling. They also could've thought ahead to the potential for Catalan independence and set up a base for Iberia (Express?) to operate a low(er?) cost service which would be ideally positioned to serve the significant market that would be created after independence.

I think your reaction is a little extreme. You want to cry over a livery? You want the airline to fail because you don't like the livery and feel that the name is meaningless? I think I've seen it all on this website.

Yes it's extreme, but that's what IAG's corporate bullying, evisceration of our national airline and destruction of staff morale does to normally rational people. This company desperately needs a change of management to save its soul and its business before it's too late. And I can assure you many BA customers agree.

I might agree on some things, but your reaction is a bit extreme.. and the set up of what will essentially be a cross-border pan-European airline should have nothing to do with (let's hope not) Catalan independence.

oldannyboy

Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:48 am

Irehdna wrote:
On another note, 5666 nmi BCN to EZE is awfully long for an A332, especially with a dense configuration this 'LEVEL' airlines is operating.

"dense" @ 8-abreast? Actually it looks roomier that many non-LCC 777s out there....

aviacionlvr

Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:54 am

Irehdna wrote:

Hello there. First post for me. Why is BCN-EZE 'awfully long' for an A332? In terms of passengers comfort?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos