Kden95
Topic Author

What's next for Denver Intl Airport

Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:19 pm

With Denver having its busiest year ever in 2016. What does the next few years look like. Any expansion plans for the concourses. New international flights? Curious to people's insight.

cosyr

Re: What's next for Denver Intl Airport

Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:37 pm

Kind of depends on F9. If they continue to "Right Size" DEN, which I suspect they will, it will relieve pressure on space for other airlines. UA for one is using all their gates, but with some restructuring of banks, has capacity to grow. It will still be years before they consider a Concourse D. At the moment the focus is on the main terminal and reworking security.

Kden95
Topic Author

Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:45 pm

I had heard that concourse A is going to be expand by 10 or so gates to the west.Not sure of when.

SWADawg

Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:45 pm

WN has an 8-10 gate expansion currently underway on the East end of Concourse C. That's in addition to the 5-6 gate expansion that was completed a couple of years ago on the West end of C Concourse.
My posts are my opinion only and do not reflect the views of Southwest Airlines

Kden95
Topic Author

Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:57 pm

SWADawg wrote:
WN has an 8-10 gate expansion currently underway on the East end of Concourse C. That's in addition to the 5-6 gate expansion that was completed a couple of years ago on the West end of C Concourse.

When did that start and when is it going to be completed?

william

Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:01 pm

Do not know why SWA did not negotiate to switch concourses with Frontier. To be the first concourse where one can walk to it would be a competitive advantage for SWA. DEN really must just be a connecting hub for SWA for not be concerned about it.

FSDan

Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:05 pm

william wrote:
Do not know why SWA did not negotiate to switch concourses with Frontier. To be the first concourse where one can walk to it would be a competitive advantage for SWA. DEN really must just be a connecting hub for SWA for not be concerned about it.

Definitely not. As of a few years ago, WN had surpassed UA on many of the major O&D markets that UA used to dominate. I'm not sure if that's changed at all since UA began adding more mainline back to DEN, but I think either way WN is a major player in the DEN O&D market. They do also flow plenty of connections over DEN, though.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

bradyj23

Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:12 pm

william wrote:

While it is nice to walk to your gate I cannot image this is much of a concern to WN passengers. The cost to move other airlines and have to deal with the international gates means higher cost and less gates. They were already established in C so it doesn't make much sense to do this.

SWADawg

Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:16 pm

Kden95 wrote:
SWADawg wrote:

It started a couple of months ago. The end of C Concourse is walled over right now during the construction and at least the two end gates are currently out of service but I don't know when construction is supposed to finish. I would guess that WN would want them complete by the time the summer schedule is being operated but that's just a guess.
My posts are my opinion only and do not reflect the views of Southwest Airlines

rajincajun01

Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:23 pm

Extension of Concourse A to the east has already begun. The city has taken A53 from AA temporarily to begin the expansion.

nadavatar64

Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:31 pm

I hope UA will add DEN-LHR or CDG, those seem like a pretty big holes UA needs to fill.

United1

Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:36 pm

cosyr wrote:
Kind of depends on F9. If they continue to "Right Size" DEN, which I suspect they will, it will relieve pressure on space for other airlines. UA for one is using all their gates, but with some restructuring of banks, has capacity to grow. It will still be years before they consider a Concourse D. At the moment the focus is on the main terminal and reworking security.

IIRC UA is adding a couple gates onto the end of B as well...
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

OA412
Crew

Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:43 pm

bradyj23 wrote:
william wrote:Do not know why SWA did not negotiate to switch concourses with Frontier. To be the first concourse where one can walk to it would be a competitive advantage for SWA. DEN really must just be a connecting hub for SWA for not be concerned about it.

While it is nice to walk to your gate I cannot image this is much of a concern to WN passengers. The cost to move other airlines and have to deal with the international gates means higher cost and less gates. They were already established in C so it doesn't make much sense to do this.

Indeed. Being in C didn't hasn't hurt WN at all. Unless I'm mistaken, they're now the largest O/D airline at DEN, having surpassed UA. And walking to the A gates vs. taking the train to C isn't really that big of a time difference.
SWADawg wrote:

Ah thanks! I thought I'd read they were going to expand the other end of C, but I wasn't sure.
United1 wrote:
IIRC UA is adding a couple gates onto the end of B as well...
I think that's correct. I'm not sure if it's an expansion the way WN is expanding C or not.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

drdisque

Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:02 pm

I doubt UA will be adding DEN-LHR any time soon. It was really only good 3 months out of the year when it ran and still requires a 787 or 777. The 777 is too much plane and UA still doesn't have enough 787's to spare for a route like this. It also requires an LHR slot (for a seasonal flight this would be hard to come by).

I think the airport's best bet at regaining a competitor to BA on DEN-London is to recruit Norwegian Long Haul. This actually would fit their profile well as it's a destination with demand on both sides and limited competition where the 787 works ideally.

Frontier14

Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:15 pm

I too have heard that there will be a westward expansion of Concourse A in the near future. There are not that many common use gates remaining on any of the concourses and will be a need if Denver ever gets expanded international service.

WN's Denver operation is definitely a "hub". They do command a sizeable O&D from the Denver area as well as a major transfer site for their east and west pax.

Frontier 14

seatback

Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:17 pm

I just saw on Wikipedia that Allegiant is starting DEN-CVG in June. Not sure how reliable this is, but interesting.

ADent

Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:04 pm

There is a project planned to move security out of the Great Hall to the 6th level. They picked a winning bidder months ago, but are still negotiating on the detail. Hope to see how this works out.

DIA and bid team are closer to reaching deal on massive terminal project, spokesman says: http://www.denverpost.com/2017/03/07/di ... l-project/

Here is a picture from the article: Image

787fan8

Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:07 pm

I would love to see EK start DEN-DXB. I feel DEN is ripe for a ME3 carrier.
Redefining 21st century flight

chrisair

Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:19 pm

Has anyone heard anything about the expansion of that black helicopter base out there?

Does door BE64B still lead to that facility? :eek:

:D :D

GSP psgr

Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:22 pm

Thoughts on a possible DEN-IST? DEN is the last UA hub that doesn't see TK, and there's currently no ME3 flight to DEN either.

jetmatt777
Crew

Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:27 pm

United just opened B11 and closed B16 to reconfigure the jetways to accommodate the future B14 that is currently being constructed. B14 is about 2 months away from being open. At that time B11 and B14 will then be used to cover gate closures on the B Concourse to perform regular jetway maintenance, as well as repairing and repouring concrete on the gates.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

cosyr

Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:48 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
United just opened B11 and closed B16 to reconfigure the jetways to accommodate the future B14 that is currently being constructed. B14 is about 2 months away from being open. At that time B11 and B14 will then be used to cover gate closures on the B Concourse to perform regular jetway maintenance, as well as repairing and repouring concrete on the gates.

I assume these stands are out to the west where the Winter Equipment usually parks, rather than them poaring new pads to the north and south of the concourses like F9's (now DL's) long bridges on the west end of A.

GVIIO

Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:25 pm

A DEN-LHR on UA would make sense to me, I feel like also EK and NH could one day be at DEN. How does the situation of widebody gates look at DEN? Are there enough for expansion? I know LH and BA park at Concourse A and they also have a Munich flight now, does that conflict with their FRA flight?

cbphoto

Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:26 pm

seatback wrote:
I just saw on Wikipedia that Allegiant is starting DEN-CVG in June. Not sure how reliable this is, but interesting.

It's true, was announced a few days ago!
ETOPS: Engines Turning or Passengers Swimming

b747400erf

Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:31 pm

the airport is waiting for the apocalypse.

winginit

Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:32 pm

787fan8 wrote:
I would love to see EK start DEN-DXB. I feel DEN is ripe for a ME3 carrier.

Would a payload restriction be necessary given the altitude? Especially in the Summer months DEN, already a mile above sea level, can easily venture into the 90's *F.

OA412
Crew

Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:37 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:

Oh OK. So they're not actually expanding, just adding more gates on the exisitng structure?
GVIIO wrote:
A DEN-LHR on UA would make sense to me, I feel like also EK and NH could one day be at DEN. How does the situation of widebody gates look at DEN? Are there enough for expansion? I know LH and BA park at Concourse A and they also have a Munich flight now, does that conflict with their FRA flight?

Well any international arrivals not subject to pre-clearance must arrive at A as it's the only concourse with FIS gates. However, international can depart from any concourse (i.e. UA's NRT flight arrives at A, but departs from B). If I'm not mistaken, there are currently 6 FIS equipped gates, though some cannot be used simultaneously when a widebody is parked at them. Both LH flights depart close to each other, and are usually parked next to each other at A41 and A45. BA departs around the LH flights in winter, but later in summer.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

RDUDDJI

Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:43 pm

chrisair wrote:
Has anyone heard anything about the expansion of that black helicopter base out there?

Does door BE64B still lead to that facility? :eek:

:D :D

Ya gotta love all the DEN conspiracy theories. I've traveled through the (now defunct) DCV system, didn't see anything besides a poorly designed baggage system :D

Funny video from the local news (love the locals dressed as aliens):
http://kdvr.com/2016/10/31/whats-actual ... l-airport/

Another interesting piece of DEN history is that the horse statue actually killed its creator... http://www.slate.com/blogs/atlas_obscur ... enver.html
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

nadavatar64

Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:40 pm

drdisque wrote:
I doubt UA will be adding DEN-LHR any time soon. It was really only good 3 months out of the year when it ran and still requires a 787 or 777. The 777 is too much plane and UA still doesn't have enough 787's to spare for a route like this. It also requires an LHR slot (for a seasonal flight this would be hard to come by).

I think the airport's best bet at regaining a competitor to BA on DEN-London is to recruit Norwegian Long Haul. This actually would fit their profile well as it's a destination with demand on both sides and limited competition where the 787 works ideally.

I really dont see DU starting LGW-DEN. it usually flies to places with alot of leisure traffic, and DEN is not one of them, at least not from across the pond. UA has the advantage of its major hub in DEN, which can flow many west coast pax, like DL is doing on SLC-LHR. I hope that when there is a gate and a suitable plane, they would start DEN-LHR.

cosyr

Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:05 pm

OA412 wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, there are currently 6 FIS equipped gates, though some cannot be used simultaneously when a widebody is parked at them. .

If only narrowbody flights, I believe 10 (maybe 11) can park simultaneously. F9 added 2 (or 3) gates on the south side of A connected to FIS. Depending on the wingspan of a widebody, I think you can still park 7 flights simultaneously (A33,37,39,41,45, maybe 47 depending on the size of plane at 45, +A40,42)

flyoregon

Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:15 pm

I've always thought it was interested that DEN doesn't have more TPAC/TATL flights on United. I realize Delta and United are very different airlines, but Delta makes AMS, CDG, and LHR work at SLC (not to mention the AMS with KL and DL on it).

drdisque

Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:32 pm

The issue is the hot & high performance of the 763 means it can't get out of DEN to Europe without taking a huge weight restriction. This means that the route then requires a 772 which raises the bar much higher. Also, UA would fly to FRA or MUC but LH flies those routes immunized under the JV. If and when UA has 787's to spare I can see them adding more service to Europe and/or Asia (although a lot of the places that would be at the top of the list - LHR, PEK, and PVG are all slot restricted).

blockski

Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:39 pm

flyoregon wrote:
I've always thought it was interested that DEN doesn't have more TPAC/TATL flights on United. I realize Delta and United are very different airlines, but Delta makes AMS, CDG, and LHR work at SLC (not to mention the AMS with KL and DL on it).

All of those examples involve JV partners for Delta; UA has a similar approach (flying to NRT to connect to NH) and letting LH do the flying on their metal to Denver from FRA and MUC.

In other words, it's not that different.

intotheair

Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:23 pm

Ah, my hometown airport!

W/r/t longhaul out of Denver, I'm not sure we'll see much for a while. I flew UA on DEN-LHR once. Nice flight, but I don't think UA will bring that one back anytime soon. It's clear they'd rather use their LHR slots for other hubs, and I think after 20 years, UA has ceded the crowd that is willing to pay for DEN-LHR/LGW nonstop to BA. If you're going to book UA and you want to do DEN-LHR, they would much rather have you go through ORD/IAD/EWR. If you're going anywhere else in continental Europe, they'll want you to do the same or, if you're willing to pay a premium, connect through FRA or MUC on LH.

As for other airlines, I think one of the ME3 would be crazy enough to try DEN-DXB/AUH/DOH. From what I've read, the largest unserved international destination from DEN is CDG. I don't see AF being in good enough shape to want to expand anytime soon, though perhaps DL would try it as one of their oddball TATL routes.

As for the Jeppesen Terminal redo, it still doesn't make any sense. I don't see how you can jam security up on level 6 without it being a complete clusterf, and I don't see passengers wanting to spend more than five seconds in any sort of shopping pavilion there once they've cleared security. I would much rather see expansion of the concourses (already happening), better concessions (happening in C at least), and perhaps a facelift. DEN still has a lot of major airports beat, but the concourses are starting to look a little long in the tooth.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 CR2 CR7 CR9 Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

LAX772LR

Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:31 pm

drdisque wrote:
It also requires an LHR slot (for a seasonal flight this would be hard to come by).

Not really, for UA.

They could easily consolidate one of their EWR slots, which is the advantage of having so many smaller-aircraft frequencies (despite AvGeek's ridiculous horror at the idea of a narrowbody/smaller widebody into LHR).
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

Kden95
Topic Author

Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:28 pm

SWADawg wrote:
Kden95 wrote:
SWADawg wrote:

It started a couple of months ago. The end of C Concourse is walled over right now during the construction and at least the two end gates are currently out of service but I don't know when construction is supposed to finish. I would guess that WN would want them complete by the time the summer schedule is being operated but that's just a guess.

Any photos of the construction?

ericm2031

Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:37 pm

william wrote:

UA has even said they are losing the O&D battle with WN by a sizable margin

xjetflyer2001

Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:40 am

SWADawg wrote:
Kden95 wrote:
SWADawg wrote:

I don't think they are expanding the actual C concourse to the East, looks to me like they have only added 2 maybe 3 gates onto the East of C concourse and those are in the form of very long jetways, in fact I just heard today the the new jetway on the East end of C is now the longest Jetway at the airport, but it doesn't look like much of anything else is being done. I don't see 8 to 10 gates being added, nothing like they did on the West side a couple years ago.

TWA772LR

Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:00 am

GSP psgr wrote:
Thoughts on a possible DEN-IST? DEN is the last UA hub that doesn't see TK, and there's currently no ME3 flight to DEN either.

When I was a lowly vendor PSA for TK, my boss would tell me what places TK were going to start (when he wasn't being a total d*ick) flying to in the short term. He mentioned DEN. It's not gonna happen now any time soon now that TK is doing a major contraction of flying.
Eat 'em up Kats!

jetmatt777
Crew

Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:16 am

OA412 wrote:
Oh OK. So they're not actually expanding, just adding more gates on the exisitng structure?

Correct, they are very long jetways. B14 jetway is connected to the concourse using the old door for B16, and a new door for B16 is being constructed just to the east of the old door. Like this:

Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

SQ001

Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:02 am

Is it possible to see Denver's new destination being in China and nearby countries/areas?

nadavatar64

Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:45 am

SQ001 wrote:
Is it possible to see Denver's new destination being in China and nearby countries/areas?

I think eventually UA will start DEN-PEK but not any time soon. Maybe Hainan could try but I dont think the chances are high...

DavidByrne

Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:17 am

Don't rule out DEN-AKL by NZ. They've signaled an interest in the medium term (as a UA hub) but I personally think ORD-AKL will be their next US route. NZ's current strategy is to bolster its share of the one-stop N and S America to Australia and is known to be considering a new destination.
This is not my beautiful house . . . This is not my beautiful wife

yellowtail

Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:43 pm

Well DEN BZE on WN starts today and judging (anecdotally) from trying to get seats on it and the quick increase in service levels, I suspect it is going to do very well.

First flight looks to be sold out in both directions.
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

klwright69

Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:57 pm

Of course it's just a matter of time until we see more long haul flights to DEN. If QR is serving LAS, DEN may well eventually come.

Frontier14

Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:36 pm

With Icelandic already serving DEN with good results, I would expect Norwegian or maybe WOW to be the next intl carriers to arrive at Denver International.

Frontier 14

Kden95
Topic Author

Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:50 pm

I would think maybe Swiss, SAS or Austrian would consider Denver with United's star alliance opportunities, maybe not enough demand.

Rdh3e

Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:24 am

OA412 wrote:
Unless I'm mistaken, they're now the largest O/D airline at DEN, having surpassed UA.

WN surpassed UA in DEN O&D way back in 2011.

Kden95 wrote:
With Denver having its busiest year ever in 2016. What does the next few years look like.

2017 will almost certainly be another record year, UA and WN have both loaded schedules with ~5% growth in Q1, 8% in Q2 and ~5% in Q3. Assuming loads mostly keep up it's likely the airport will see another 2M passengers this year vs last.

jhsusman

Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:18 pm

How many gates are being added to the east side of the A concourse? Are these intended for international arrivals? Widebodies?

timf

Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:09 pm

jhsusman wrote:
How many gates are being added to the east side of the A concourse? Are these intended for international arrivals? Widebodies?

The diagram I found on the Business Opportunities section of the website makes it appear to be an extension similar to the B80-95 gates (although on the north side rather than south) rather than a full extension of the concourse. It is labeled as "Interim Gate Expansion" and has no visible link to FIS.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos