Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Jerseyguy
Topic Author

TTN NIMBYs discuss possible settlement with FAA

Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:13 am

According to court documents, BRRAM who currently has a case against the FAA in the 3rd Court of appeals regarding noise pollution and violations of the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) from Trenton Mercer Airport (TTN) has filed and recieved an extension for filing a brief & appendix because "Lead Counsel for BRRAM, Inc., R. William Potter, and counsel for the FAA, Joan M. Pepin have been discussing a possible settlement of this appeal and wish to continue the discussions".
https://postimg.org/image/c8bbsn9bn/

When a NIMBY group like BRRAM and the FAA negotiate a settlement, what does the settlement usually entail? Is this just the FAA's way of conceding and offering to do the Environmental Assessment that BRRAM wants in return for the continued operation for the airport until such assessment is done and any needed noise mitigation measures implemented? Does the FAA generally offer proper insulation and sound proofing of the affected home? Anybody have any ideas from past NEPA lawsuits?

BobPatterson

Re: TTN NIMBYs discuss possible settlement with FAA

Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:57 am

Is it possible to read the entire document rather than just this snippet?

Jerseyguy
Topic Author

Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:07 am

BobPatterson

Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:41 am

Jerseyguy wrote:

Thank you. I was hoping to be able to read the actual lawsuit and the proposed remedies.

I naively thought that court filings were public documents and might be accessible on the Internet without cost.

Jerseyguy
Topic Author

Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:54 am

There are some free search engines but they rely on people with a browser extension looking at the documents on the court website. It is very limited. Here is the complaint from a case that was filed with the NJ District court which is the wrong court and was dismissed but will probably give you an idea. Bottom of page 17 (and most of 18) for the remedies
https://www.courtlistener.com/recap/gov ... 57.1.0.pdf

The normal way is via a website called Public Access to Court Electronic Records (PACER)
http://www.pacer.gov which costs .10 a page but waived if not over 150 pages a quarter (3 months). Credit card is required. I spent like $30 one quarter due to a bunch of filings

BobPatterson

Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:24 am

Jerseyguy wrote:
There are some free search engines but they rely on people with a browser extension looking at the documents on the court website. It is very limited. Here is the complaint from a case that was filed with the NJ District court which is the wrong court and was dismissed but will probably give you an idea. Bottom of page 17 (and most of 18) for the remedies

The normal way is via a website called Public Access to Court Electronic Records (PACER)
http://www.pacer.gov which costs .10 a page but waived if not over 150 pages a quarter (3 months). Credit card is required. I spent like $30 one quarter due to a bunch of filings

Again, thank you very much. Interesting to read that FAA approved $17 million in grants without an EIS.

I hope you will continue to post updates, with such links, as this matter goes through the courts.

By the way, I previously did begin the process of signing up for PACER but stopped when the screen asking for credit card info came up. :-)

USAirKid

Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:33 am

BobPatterson wrote:
Jerseyguy wrote:

Again, thank you very much. Interesting to read that FAA approved $17 million in grants without an EIS.

I hope you will continue to post updates, with such links, as this matter goes through the courts.

By the way, I previously did begin the process of signing up for PACER but stopped when the screen asking for credit card info came up. :-)

FWIW, I've had a PACER account for years without ever paying a dime. I just keep below my 150 pages / $10 usage a quarter.

So I'd suggest signing up and going for it yourself.. But if not I might be persuaded to go and find this document for you..

Jerseyguy
Topic Author

Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:01 am

BobPatterson wrote:
Jerseyguy wrote:

Surprised? I'm not the last time Trenton did an EIS it took like 6 years and drove away Southwest Airlines. The improvement mentioned as well were done over the past 5-6 years so I don't know the legal requirements

n75jyv

Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:53 am

I wonder how the NIMBY's feel about A320 NEO. Today every F9 flight was a NEO, with only Allegiant flying 320CEOs. I've been tracking the flights, and live a few miles from the base of RWY06. Today I was able to compare the sound of takeoffs from my front yard. Usually we hear the CEOs, Gulfstreams, etc from inside our house. I was outside when the CEO took off, clearly audible. A few minute later, off went the NEO (using FR24 to track). Nothing audible over the nearby highway noise. Wow!. I was riding my bike in the Pole Farm park on Sunday, and often see the F9 and Alleigiant 320s on approach overhead, usually with good auditory warning that they are coming. Sunday I was riding along when I suddenly heard a jet overhead and looked up to see the new NEO... definite difference.

This is of course a non-scientific study with an N of 1 for listeners, and no control for wind or other flight performance factors, but still, I'm impressed. Hope the NIMBYs are too.

Jerseyguy
Topic Author

Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:34 am

One can hope that BRRAM would see the light and be happy about the New NEO but I wouldn't hold my breath. Last Thursday the 20th, I rushed to the airport after I saw that they were bringing in a NEO (which happened to be the first NEO N308FR Flo the Flamingo) I was parking and getting my cellphone ready along the road that goes right next to the ALS for rwy 6 and without warning I looked up and saw it fly right next to me didn't get the pic so perhaps it is quieter. Perhaps Frontier could agree not to schedule a CEO before 7am or after 10pm

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos