Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

accuman
Topic Author

What is the exact name of those high turbulent clouds??

Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:01 am

Hello folks,
does somebody know the exact name those high turbulent clouds? They appear between 35.000-40.000 feet I guess and everytime a aircraft enter those clouds it can be very turbulent.

Best regards,
Patrick

jetmatt777

Re: What is the exact name of those high turbulent clouds??

Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:34 am

Looks like a cirrostratus cloud. That particular one looks like it may have used to be the top of a cumulonimbus cloud which eventually broke down and the top "came off" and formed into more of a stratus type cloud as the wind pushed it around.

accuman
Topic Author

Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:38 am

So it was a "Cirrostratus nebulosus" cloud that terrified flight BA244 from Buenos Aires to London in 2012? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UO-wYpNN0s&t=70s

BobPatterson

Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:59 am

accuman wrote:
So it was a "Cirrostratus nebulosus" cloud that terrified flight BA244 from Buenos Aires to London in 2012? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UO-wYpNN0s&t=70s

I watched the entire video. No one appeared to be terrified.

26point2

Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:21 am

Most clouds tops, even stratus, have some amount of turbulence while flying through them. A bumpy ride is not specific to any particular type.

accuman
Topic Author

What caused the heavy turbulence of my flight?

Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:56 am

Hello folks,
Id like to know the name of the cloud layer that caused the heavy turbulence of my flight from Düsseldorf to Madrid with an Iberia Airbus A320 (20.07.2016). It occured at 35.000 feet (30NM south of Paris) 20:50 local time. The pilot requested to climb 2.000 feet higher to overfly the cloud layer. After that we had no turbulence anymore. Now what is the exact name of that cloud layer that caused the turbulence? Is it the Cirrostratus nebulosus..? I dont think it was the top of a thunderstorm since the layer was at 35.000 feet and not 40.000 feet.

Best regards,

Patrick

Passedv1

Re: What caused the heavy turbulence of my flight?

Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:10 pm

accuman wrote:
Hello folks,
Id like to know the name of the cloud layer that caused the heavy turbulence of my flight from Düsseldorf to Madrid with an Iberia Airbus A320 (20.07.2016). It occured at 35.000 feet (30NM south of Paris) 20:50 local time. The pilot requested to climb 2.000 feet higher to overfly the cloud layer. After that we had no turbulence anymore. Now what is the exact name of that cloud layer that caused the turbulence? Is it the Cirrostratus nebulosus..? I dont think it was the top of a thunderstorm since the layer was at 35.000 feet and not 40.000 feet.

Best regards,

Patrick

Correlation does not equal causation. Clouds often form where they do because of various phenomenom. It is usually some phenomenom that is causing the cloud is also causing the turbulence. But you should not think of it as the cloud is causing the turbulence. For example when you have strong winds over mountains you will get turbulence. If the conditions are right you may get roll clouds or ACSL clouds. If you enter one of these clouds you are probably in for a wild ride but it wouldn't be because you entered the cloud...it would be because you entered the rotor...which is causing the cloud and the turbulence. This is important because you can still have the rotor and the turbulence that it causes and still not have a single cloud in the sky. In order to avoid this type of often severe turbulence, you need to look for situations in which rotors develop...not necessarilly rotor clouds.

As far as the pictures you posted...clouds stop and start where there are boundaries in the atmosphere. It could be temperature induceded or wind inducded. With a couple notable exceptions (i.e cb's, mammatas, etc.) It is difficult to tell looking out the window of an airplane what caused the clouds you are seeing because it could really be any number of things. You could be over the top of an ACSL or it could be a strong inversion right over or under you . The other thing with clouds that make them so difficult is that they often outlast the phenomenom that gave rise to them in the first place. So maybe a certain cloud was caused by some lifting when the cloud was over a hill which would make it turbulent. Now though, the cloud has moved away from the hill and the air has smoothed out but the cloud is still there.

accuman
Topic Author

Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:01 am

Thanks for the info!

strfyr51

Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:14 am

Are you referring to Strato-cumulous??

fastmover

Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:27 am

These are the ones you don't want any part of.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenticular_cloud

I can tell you sometimes you just don't know what you will ge with clouds. We could be looking at a wall of clouds getting ready for bumps (seat the FA s) and it's totally smooth or out of nowhere one little cloud rocks your world.

Meteorologist

Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:16 am

I can tell you probably the most turbulent clouds around would be Mammatus that form on the underside of a thunderstorm anvil. That is in addition to the obvious cumulonimbus in an actual thunderstorm updraft/downdraft column

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mammatus_cloud

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos