Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

lightsaber

Re: Airbus is examining 'A380-Plus'

Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:45 pm

I'm not aware of any airlines ordering the A380 since this thread started. Are there any sales campaigns?

SEPilot

Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:59 pm

USAOZ wrote:
SEPilot wrote:
Strato2 wrote:

Well the same can be said about just any plane with the rare few exceptions.

Funny, I have crossed the Pacific several times in the last 4 years, and there was not a single empty seat (at least in coach) on any of them. Does "using a plane to full capacity" mean stuffing passengers in the overhead bins and the baggage hold?
several days over 4 years, is not a very good example.

Today you can fly BNE, SYD or MEL to LAX or SFO for around $800 & that's not going via Asia. From SYD to LAX could be direct. The airlines have had this sale going in low season for around 3-4 months now & theya re obviously filling seats very slowly. I think what is happening, is people are too scared to ask for time off outside their normal 4 weeks, due to the massive recession we had to have.

The times I have flown are August, October, January, April, and June. I flew Delta, EVA, and CX. As I said, every flight was full in coach. These were all JFK (or DET, for Delta) to MNL. While other Asian destinations may be not as busy, demand for MNL seems to be booming. But the last time I was able to get good fares (around $800 apiece round trip) about 2 weeks before we flew.

N14AZ

Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:10 am

Revelation wrote:
The only thing that is known is that it's been a long time since CSA ordered those A380s and they're having a hard time making them work due to issues in getting routes that work for the giant Whale.

True, but they look great ;-)
Source: https://www.planes.cz/en/photo/1187951/ ... e-prg-lkpr
Sorry, couldn't resist...

VirginFlyer

Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:05 am

N14AZ wrote:
Revelation wrote:
The only thing that is known is that it's been a long time since CSA ordered those A380s and they're having a hard time making them work due to issues in getting routes that work for the giant Whale.

True, but they look great ;-)
Source: https://www.planes.cz/en/photo/1187951/ ... e-prg-lkpr
Sorry, couldn't resist...

That's one OK A380!

V/F

c933103

Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:59 pm

BREECH wrote:
Eyad89 wrote:
The CEO of Airbus China claims that there's a market for 60-100 A380s in China over the next five years. Well, that's ambitious.

It's not actually. When you need to transport the full population of the United States from A to B through congested airports twice a year, you DO need bigger planes. The problem is that Chinese airlines copy European and American models like they copy Gucci sunglasses. With the same final result - a disfugured conterfeit. China is screaming for A380 but because they are not copying the Emirates model, they don't even look into it. That and the Chinese's chronic inability to run an effective business.

Emirates' model is not A to B. And China also have high speed rail whgich can transport more passengers than A380 per train.

c933103

Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:01 pm

BREECH wrote:
BREECH wrote:
I'm sorry to interrupt, but what does it mean? Do they mean, the airport should only assign 75-80% of the available slots?

speedbored wrote:
No. It means they should limit the number of slots to 75% of the maximum capacity of the runway. i.e. leave some slack in order to be able to cope better with incidents and adverse weather.

I think it's the same. :-)

Anyway that would mean frequency reduction.

BREECH

Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:37 am

VirginFlyer wrote:
Actually I hail from a group of islands to the east and and a bit south (the ones which have had a bit of a fuel kerfuffle recently), but in fairness I did spend a number of years in the West Island. Please don't consider it a telling off, more a joking response to your joke.

Seriously though, it's clear from your posts here over the last few weeks that you're enthusiastic and have a lot you want to contribute (well either that or you're a troll, but I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt). My advice would be that you maintain that enthusiasm, and use it to do a little background reading on topics before posting in them. For example in this case you could have talked about the size and weight comparisons of the A380-800 and An-225 (information which is very easily available online), then asked if there were any figures available for a proposed A380-900 and how would these compare to the An-225, and I'm certain you would have got some decent responses. Avoid making statements of fact if you're not confident you can back them up, and be willing to admit when your understanding was incorrect (for instance when you suggested all but a few of the 21 longest routes in operation have been going for more than 10 years, when in fact only 2 have, and, of the remaining 19, more have started in the past 5 years than before that). In this way you will learn a lot here, and as time passes be able to contribute an increasing amount too. Unfortunately there have been plenty of users who have come here over the years certainly very enthusiastic, but have rabbitted on about this and that without taking the time to read a bit or to listen to others' viewpoints, then eventually leave all upset when no one seems to want to interact with them any more. Someone once described it as being like a seagull, swooping in, crapping on everything, then flying off again. Please don't be another one of these people. Please don't be a seagull.

Anyway this is all well off the beaten path of A380 plus, so let's not divert this thread any further. Feel free to PM me if you want to take this up further.

V/F

It get worse! At least Aussies have a properly sized country. :-D On the other hand, New Zealand holds 90% of the world butter market, so I'll give your country the benefit of the doubt.

Thank you for the advice. I prefer the Gerald Darrel approach - "If you don't know something, just ask. There will always be someone who will be happy to give you the information you need". I've been a member of A.net for quite some time. Eight years to be exact. But always found a whole dollar too much for the "premium membership". :-D So I know what to expect. I came here only to ask questions to the people who know something. This is the only place where you can actually find out something real. If anyone asks something I know about, I'll happily provide him with the information he needs. Whether he wants it or not. :-D

BREECH

Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:44 am

c933103 wrote:
Emirates' model is not A to B. And China also have high speed rail whgich can transport more passengers than A380 per train.

So does Europe and Japan. There are still lots of airlines there.

c933103

Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:07 am

BREECH wrote:
c933103 wrote:

There are still lots of airlines there but superjumbo short haul flying is not a thing in both places either, and in Japan despite it was a thing they're also no longer used in this way. Plus Chinese high speed train get more governmental fiscal support as suggested from their financial reports.

Revelation

Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:34 am

c933103 wrote:
There are still lots of airlines there but superjumbo short haul flying is not a thing in both places either, and in Japan despite it was a thing they're also no longer used in this way. Plus Chinese high speed train get more governmental fiscal support as suggested from their financial reports.

It was tried in the 70s in the US with 747s and it did not work economically. We do see a small number of 777s getting used on Hawaii runs and some domestic too but that's because they're all paid for so very cheap to operate. Perhaps we'll see older A380s slide into that role in some localities?

That doesn't help Airbus keep the production line going, though. It was pretty telling when Iran walked away. They wanted a lot of capacity and they wanted it quickly, and A380 could have filled both requirements, but in the end they walked away from the A380 and bought a lot of big twins.

Clipper101

Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:02 pm

c933103 wrote:
BREECH wrote:
c933103 wrote:

O&D Travel Future Projections:

According to IATA 2015 forecast China O&D air travel market still lags that of the US, it is expected to match that of the US towards late 2020’s & should overtake it by 2034 to be the world’s biggest O&D air travel market.

India should do very well also, currently its O&D air travel market same as Japan but much less than UK. It should match O&D air travel market of UK by early 2020’s & should be much overtaking it by 2034 to be the third largest O&D air travel market after China & US.

Japan O&D air travel market is a little bit larger than Spain & Germany, it should also grow in the same manner as Spain & Germany going forward in a steady manner; towards 2034 Brazil and Japan O&D air travel market should be the same.

Domestic Travel Future Projections:

According to IATA 2015 forecast China domestic air travel market is currently a little smaller than that of the US, should match that of US early 2020’s then overtaking it so that by 2034 China by far will be the biggest domestic air travel market.

India & Japan currently have more or less same domestic air travel market but India domestic air travel should grow rapidly to be the third market behind China & US by 2034. By 2034 Japanese domestic air travel market should be lagging that of Brazil & Indonesia.

Conclusion, given its vast geography & high mass of population China air travel market currently lags that of US, but will have a steeper rapid growth to overtake the US as the world biggest air travel market (Domestic plus O&D) towards end of 2020’s.

c933103

Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:20 pm

Revelation wrote:
c933103 wrote:

It was tried in the 70s in the US with 747s and it did not work economically. We do see a small number of 777s getting used on Hawaii runs and some domestic too but that's because they're all paid for so very cheap to operate. Perhaps we'll see older A380s slide into that role in some localities?

That doesn't help Airbus keep the production line going, though. It was pretty telling when Iran walked away. They wanted a lot of capacity and they wanted it quickly, and A380 could have filled both requirements, but in the end they walked away from the A380 and bought a lot of big twins.

Iran commented they don't need the capacity at least for now

parapente

Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:24 pm

The 779 will offer the same if not better CASM of the A388.The 'plus' may beat it by a little by adding some (30?) more pax.But who on Earth would order the A388 plus unless they were sure they could get 550-600 pax per flight on a regular basis?

racercoup

Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:07 pm

I am starting to believe the 747 just may out live the A380, as a previous poster posited. Other than Emirates the A380 has only booked one sale in the last (5) years to ANA for three frames. (I do not consider Amedeo a sale because it is not). In the same time frame the 747 has garnered 31 sales from (12) different customers.

Most of the remaining backlog goes to Emirates and they reportedly don't want any new deliveries for 2019 - 2020. What keeps production alive for those 24 months?

Geoff1947

Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:11 pm

racercoup wrote:
I am starting to believe the 747 just may out live the A380, as a previous poster posited. Other than Emirates the A380 has only booked one sale in the last (5) years to ANA for three frames. (I do not consider Amedeo a sale because it is not). In the same time frame the 747 has garnered 31 sales from (12) different customers.

Most of the remaining backlog goes to Emirates and they reportedly don't want any new deliveries for 2019 - 2020. What keeps production alive for those 24 months?

Wow, where are you getting those 747 sales figures from ?The big deal with UPS for freighters has kept the production line open but they have finished making the passenger model.

Geoff

DocLightning

Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:29 pm

rotating14 wrote:
His point was that Boeing bet on more point to point travel with the 787. Airbus thought that the major hubs would be too congested with limited gate space, and with that, the A380 would alleviate this dilemma. But Boeing’s bet, albeit expensive, lengthy and problematic at times, seems to have paid off.

I agree Boeing won the bet, and it would have paid off if Boeing hadn't completely messed up the 787 program. The program will not turn an overall profit.

There's been talk of wingletting the wing, and it looks like Airbus has a design

But I don't understand how it stays within 80.00 meters. The existing wingtip is 79.75 meters, so that's not a lot of room for play.

parapente

Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:36 pm

Well there are 5 more to be built for Singapore and a couple for Qatar.I don't suppose either are in a hurry to receive them (not sure about Singapore aircraft leased or not).So you might squeeze a year out of those.Also ANA don't want theirs (3) until 2019/20.
Having said that -where did you hear about Emirates??? First I have heard.
No I don't think there is any danger of production actually ceasing for about 4 years..But they really do need to find something from somewhere if they intend to get past that.

tommy1808

Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:46 pm

parapente wrote:
The 779 will offer the same if not better CASM of the A388.The 'plus' may beat it by a little by adding some (30?) more pax.But who on Earth would order the A388 plus unless they were sure they could get 550-600 pax per flight on a regular basis?

You can ask that question about any aircraft there is. Airbus is basically giving you 200 seats for free, if Pilot shortage, limited traffic rights but lots of transfer passengers from that destination that are important to keep your network in the green, a lot of ground time at the destination are things that concern you, an A380 may come up on top even with worse CASM. Basically the A380 has probably close to 80 million USD in purchasing cost advantage vs. one 779 in terms of total fleet seat capacity,
That market will always be just a fraction of what the market one size down is, but it won´t disappear.

best regards
Thomas

racercoup

Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:56 am

Wow, where are you getting those 747 sales figures from ?The big deal with UPS for freighters has kept the production line open but they have finished making the passenger model.

Geoff[/quote]

Feb -14 CargoLux 1
Oct - 14 Airbridge Cargo 1
Feb - 15 SilkWays 3
June - 15 Atlas Air 1
Nov - 15 Airbridge Cargo 2
Mar - 16 Airbridge Cargo 4
Oct - 16 UPS 14
Mar - 17 Unidentified 1
July - 17 Unidentified 2
Aug - 17 Unidentified 2

BTW Boeing has delivered 51 747's since Jan 2014

Slug71

Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:28 am

racercoup wrote:
Geoff1947 wrote:

Geoff

Feb -14 CargoLux 1
Feb - 15 SilkWays 3
June - 15 Atlas Air 1
Oct - 16 UPS 14
Mar - 17 Unidentified 1
July - 17 Unidentified 2
Aug - 17 Unidentified 2

BTW Boeing has delivered 51 747's since Jan 2014

Most of which have been delivered. Two UPS frames are complete and two are in assembly. That leaves 10 frames for UPS left and then that's it. Unless more orders are placed. UPS's third frame should be rolling out soon too.

racercoup

Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:04 pm

Most of which have been delivered. Two UPS frames are complete and two are in assembly. That leaves 10 frames for UPS left and then that's it. Unless more orders are placed. UPS's third frame should be rolling out soon too.[/quote]

There 17 frames left in the 747 delivery backlog, and UPS has options for 14 more. Boeing will be delivering 747's well in to the next decade.

If necessary Boeing could always look to Amedeo to beef up the order book :)

Geoff1947

Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:50 pm

racercoup wrote:

Geoff

Feb -14 CargoLux 1
Feb - 15 SilkWays 3
June - 15 Atlas Air 1
Oct - 16 UPS 14
Mar - 17 Unidentified 1
July - 17 Unidentified 2
Aug - 17 Unidentified 2

BTW Boeing has delivered 51 747's since Jan 2014[/quote]

Personally I don't think you can ignore the NTUs, whitetails and cancellations. Since Jan 2014 net sales of the 747-8F have been 20 and for the 747-8 they are minus 4. Total net sales are 16, including the 14 for UPS. I agree they have delivered 51 aircraft which is why the unfilled orderbook sits at just 20 of which 8 have been built.

Geoff

BREECH

Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:47 am

Clipper101 wrote:
According to IATA 2015 forecast China O&D air travel market still lags that of the US, it is expected to match that of the US towards late 2020’s & should overtake it by 2034 to be the world’s biggest O&D air travel market.

Hmmm, that's a VERY pessimistic forecast. China grew by 47% from 2009 to 2014. That's 50% in 5 years. In exact numbers it's growth from 270 to 390 million. And that was during the Chinese economic recession. American air traffic is about 700 million passengers, if I remember correctly. Next 3-5 years, 390 +50% = 600 by the end of this decade. I think China will catch up to and overtake US by 2025 MAX. But likely sooner.

BREECH

Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:53 am

Revelation wrote:

Right. I don't think Iran deal is an indicator of anything. One, A380 is not quick to buy. The line is pretty long. If you want another Middle East example where A380s are VERY much wanted and are the core of the fleet... do you? And as for "some localities", let's wait and see how well those airports and airlines cope when they run out of landing slots. NOTHING is decided, and NOTHING is clear.

BREECH

Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:55 am

parapente wrote:
The 779 will offer the same if not better CASM of the A388.The 'plus' may beat it by a little by adding some (30?) more pax.

REALLY? A380 needs to add MORE passengers? Boeing 779 can carry 853 people? I didn't know.

parapente wrote:
But who on Earth would order the A388 plus unless they were sure they could get 550-600 pax per flight on a regular basis?

The most profitable and fastest growing airline in the world - Emirates.

BREECH

Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:59 am

DocLightning wrote:
I agree Boeing won the bet.

By copying an airplane that Airbus had for 25 and has already sold by hundreds? It's already been discussed here that 787 didn't really open too many new "long and thin routes". It plies the same routes as 767 did. Maybe saving a few cents on fuel. That is, untill a battery fire destroys the entire plane. :-D

Slug71

Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:07 pm

Just out of curiosity, how much rework, cost, and recertification would be required to move the cockpit up? Can't help but think how much more aesthetically pleasing the A380 would look if the cockpit was raised to just below the upper deck and had curved windows. This should also make enough room for the crew rest area to be moved below the cockpit and free up space on the main deck, no?

jumbojet

Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:34 pm

racercoup wrote:

Geoff

Feb -14 CargoLux 1
Feb - 15 SilkWays 3
June - 15 Atlas Air 1
Oct - 16 UPS 14
Mar - 17 Unidentified 1
July - 17 Unidentified 2
Aug - 17 Unidentified 2

BTW Boeing has delivered 51 747's since Jan 2014[/quote]

why is it that folks still want to only compare B748 sales to the A380? Don't forget, the entirety of the Boeing 747 program encompasses 5 different models and has sold well in excess of 1000 planes. Its not fair to single out one model of the 747. As a whole, the A380 will never match the sales of the B747. NEVER. If, and its a very big IF, Airbus comes out with the A380 Plus, than how will that be compared to the B747, to what model and to what degree?

Sorry, I know people on here don't want to accept it but the A380 is DOA. It died a long time ago. I am an aviation geek and love all planes but the A380 is what it is. DOA.

SVJ77W

Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:55 pm

Emirates needs more A380s, says Tim Clark
http://www.arabianbusiness.com/industries/transport/380494-emirates-needs-more-a380s-says-tim-clark

Though he says 'even more A380s', could we see more A380s from EK? Could it be A380 Plus? He also mentions room for 787/A350.

Jayafe

Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:57 pm

Slug71 wrote:
Just out of curiosity, how much rework, cost, and recertification would be required to move the cockpit up? Can't help but think how much more aesthetically pleasing the A380 would look if the cockpit was raised to just below the upper deck and had curved windows. This should also make enough room for the crew rest area to be moved below the cockpit and free up space on the main deck, no?

That's a major change, a nice amount of money, to make the bird look "prettier"? Not happening... (neither aesthetically needed from my pov)

Slug71

Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:35 pm

jumbojet wrote:
why is it that folks still want to only compare B748 sales to the A380? Don't forget, the entirety of the Boeing 747 program encompasses 5 different models and has sold well in excess of 1000 planes. Its not fair to single out one model of the 747. As a whole, the A380 will never match the sales of the B747. NEVER. If, and its a very big IF, Airbus comes out with the A380 Plus, than how will that be compared to the B747, to what model and to what degree?

Sorry, I know people on here don't want to accept it but the A380 is DOA. It died a long time ago. I am an aviation geek and love all planes but the A380 is what it is. DOA.

For the most apart, agreed. At least IMO. However, Boeing updated the 747 to the -8 to compete with the A380 and that's likely why we see the comparison. I don't think the A380 will be as successful overall. Not even close. But if we are to consider the sales numbers, the 747-100 would probably be a fairer comparison considering the A380 is in it's first variant. And in that case, the A380 beats the -100, 100B, SR, and SP versions combined. I don't think the A380 was/is DOA though. There is plenty of potential in the frame to be much better (efficient) and excel at what it was meant to do. It's just whether or not Airbus is willing to make/pay for those improvements. They made their biggest (and only, IMO) mistake by making the -900 the base model. It also entered the market at a very bad time with the depression which could not have been forecast and as a result we also had record high fuel prices which did not help. Not to mention the wing-rib issues it suffered.

Eyad89

Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:44 pm

Slug71 wrote:
jumbojet wrote:

For the most apart, agreed. At least IMO. However, Boeing updated the 747 to the -8 to compete with the A380 and that's likely why we see the comparison. I don't think the A380 will be as successful overall. Not even close. But if we are to consider the sales numbers, the 747-100 would probably be a fairer comparison considering the A380 is in it's first variant. And in that case, the A380 beats the -100, 100B, SR, and SP versions combined. I don't think the A380 was/is DOA though. There is plenty of potential in the frame to be much better (efficient) and excel at what it was meant to do. It's just whether or not Airbus is willing to make/pay for those improvements. They made their biggest (and only, IMO) mistake by making the -900 the base model. It also entered the market at a very bad time with the depression which could not have been forecast and as a result we also had record high fuel prices which did not help. Not to mention the wing-rib issues it suffered.

It only makes sense to compare one variant of A380, namely A388, to one variant of 747.

748 is definitely the right variant to compare to since it has to go throw the same market conditions that A388 has. They both entered service around the same time. 748 is more superior than 744 when it comes to technical specification, but 744 was far more successful because it existed during the right time for such a model.

Jayafe

Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:48 pm

Eyad89 wrote:
It only makes sense to compare one variant of A380, namely A388, to one variant of 747.

748 is definitely the right variant to compare to since it has to go throw the same market conditions that A388 has. 748 is more superior than 744 when it comes to technical specification, but 744 was far more successful because it existed during the right time for such a model.

With that logic you should only compare the A388 to the 748i, as there is no freighter version of the whale. In such case the result is a total knock out...

Clipper101

Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:11 am

BREECH wrote:
Clipper101 wrote:

Hmmm, that's a VERY pessimistic forecast. China grew by 47% from 2009 to 2014. That's 50% in 5 years. In exact numbers it's growth from 270 to 390 million. And that was during the Chinese economic recession. American air traffic is about 700 million passengers, if I remember correctly. Next 3-5 years, 390 +50% = 600 by the end of this decade. I think China will catch up to and overtake US by 2025 MAX. But likely sooner.

I do not know which source you are quoting for your figures however they look similar to those of IATA with your prediction a little (sooner) off, but here is a quote from IATA 2015 forecast in what relates to China & the US:

China is expected to overtake the United States as the world’s largest passenger market (defined by traffic to, from and within) by 2029. In 2034 China will account for some 1.19 billion passengers, 758 million more than 2014 with an average annual growth rate of 5.2%. Traffic to, from and within the US is expected to grow at an average annual growth rate of 3.1% that will see 1.16 billion passengers by 2034 (523 million more than 2014).

2014 US traffic registered by IATA is at +600 million O/D passenger journeys compared to around +400 million for China, both have growth gradients that should intersect, as IATA is forecasting, towards 2029 as stated in quote above. Based on the gradient IATA is showing, you can expect China reaching +600 million O/D passenger journey's mark of the 2014 US traffic sometime around or before 2020 when US traffic expectancy is around 750 million. While thinking about those numbers we should start to imagine how many airports (especially gateway airports) those passengers are funneled through in China as compared to US.

Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:13 am

Jayafe wrote:
Eyad89 wrote:

748 is definitely the right variant to compare to since it has to go throw the same market conditions that A388 has. 748 is more superior than 744 when it comes to technical specification, but 744 was far more successful because it existed during the right time for such a model.

With that logic you should only compare the A388 to the 748i, as there is no freighter version of the whale. In such case the result is a total knock out...

I disagree... The A380 included a freighter variant and even had solid orders; with the related development cost as part of the A380 program. Airbus decided to delay the freighter variant... and it apparently died as the then current customers decided they could not wait; but the freighter variant could be brought back. The basic design features and plans are there.

The fact that Boeing chose to progress with the freighter variant - and its added value to the 748 program... does not invalidate the comparison of the entire A380 program to the entire B748 program.

Have a great day,

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos