Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

indygs

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread 2017

Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:19 am

Yeah, VX loads don't look really good right now. Inaugural flight looks like it has 14 booked in coach, Friday's flight has 15 booked in coach.

Midwestindy

Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:29 am

indygs wrote:
Yeah, VX loads don't look really good right now. Inaugural flight looks like it has 14 booked in coach, Friday's flight has 15 booked in coach.

Not really worried about this route (as of now), once you get into October the seat maps are full, and same goes for the UA flights as well...

ADrum23

Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:32 am

indygs wrote:

It's a new flight, just give it some time. It will be profitable soon enough.

zackary747

Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:10 am

I'm sure the flight will get the proper advertising once it starts tomorrow. The airport and media need to get on it.

Give it a month or two, and i'm sure that flight will fill up. The second UA flight runs the same times as VX.

zackary747

Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:12 am

ADrum23 wrote:
indygs wrote:

It's a new flight, just give it some time. It will be profitable soon enough.

Exactly. This is just the case of the inaugural blues. Frontiers Vegas flight got a boat load of advertising on the inaugural day. I'm sure this will take the same effect. The fact that October is booked is a VERY good sign without advertisement in effect yet.

zackary747

Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:49 pm

If you check IND's Twitter page, you'll see the VX ticket counter is ready!

Midwestindy

Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:01 am

Midwestindy

Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:22 pm

Air Force One at IND yesterday, taken from the Indianapolis Airport Spotters page

Midwestindy

Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:32 am

DL seems to be sending their A359s around a lot lately, N502DN was here today and supposedly will be back a few more times this week

Here is a pic from IND spotters

indygs

Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:18 am

Wonder if these are test runs from DTW?

zackary747

Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:52 am

indygs wrote:
Wonder if these are test runs from DTW?

I heard the A350 flies DTW-IND-ATL. At least the one from yesterday did.

AirportRival

Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:27 am

They are doing Touch & Go training. They've done it at quite a few airports now.

Midwestindy

Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:16 pm

https://www.transportation.gov/policy/aviation-policy
Domestic Airline Consumer Airfare Report is updated for Q1 2017

Midwestindy

Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:09 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
https://www.transportation.gov/policy/aviation-policy
Domestic Airline Consumer Airfare Report is updated for Q1 2017

Of IND unserved markets Q1
SAN: 128 PDEW
AUS: 86 PDEW (2x weekly)
MSY: 85 PDEW (isn't this only sun-only WN or 2x weekly on G4)
SAT: 76 PDEW
JAX: 74 PDEW (2x weekly)
PBI: 62 PDEW
SNA: 59 PDEW
PDX: 54 PDEW
BDL: 47 PDEW
SMF: 40 PDEW
PVD: 18 PDEW

Key Markets:
SFO: 200 PDEW
SEA: 89 PDEW

zackary747

Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:22 am

Just to let you guys know, VX is upgaged to an A320 starting in Feb. 2018.

Also, my friend (who talked to a VX/AS employee) said that an LAX red eye is a possibility.

Midwestindy

Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:21 am

Here is the excel document for O&D PDEW Q1 2017 (I included PDEW '16, Largest Carrier, Average Fare '17, Market Share for Largest Carrier (out of 1), Average Fare for Largest Carrier)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
Last edited by Midwestindy on Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Midwestindy

Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:30 am

zackary747 wrote:

Also, my friend (who talked to a VX/AS employee) said that an LAX red eye is a possibility.

UA IND-SFO goes down to 1x daily around that time so it makes sense that they may upguage.

Also, do you know the timeline of when that may be announced, I also remember a rumor that UA LAX-IND was in the works....

I think a red eye would be the only option considering SEA/SFO flights occupy the gate from afternoon-late evening

I'll also mention that NK will likely add STL and IND beginning next year, from what I am hearing....

AirportRival

Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:08 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Here is the excel document for O&D PDEW Q1 2017 (I included PDEW '16, Largest Carrier, Average Fare '17, Market Share for Largest Carrier (out of 1), Average Fare for Largest Carrier)

Do you have it as view-able to anybody with the link? I personally can't see it.

flymco753

Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:46 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
I'll also mention that NK will likely add STL and IND beginning next year, from what I am hearing....
I find it slightly difficult to believe that IND and STL will happen next year only because NK is really conservative with opening new stations, Also that BNA and AUS are essentially the bigger fish needing fried, maybe a winter 2018 start for NK at IND or STL, STL might have an the edge with how many routes they get, with NK and F9 doing a good job of not stepping on each other STL would get FLL, ATL, MSY, DTW, BWI, and LAS to start where IND would only get FLL, BWI, MSY, and DFW to start. BNA and AUS would be constrained to 1 gate so there’s no real rapid expansion that can be done here, BNA would probably get DTW, DFW and FLL to start. AUS would get ORD, DTW, EWR and BWI.

Indy

Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:24 pm

I seriously hope NK never shows its face in IND. A 28 inch pitch is an insult to commercial travel. That is far below anything that should be legally allowed. A 28 inch pitch says you give zero crap about your customers. So no... no NK ever! We don't need IND to be the race to the bottom.

ADrum23

Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:45 pm

Indy wrote:
I seriously hope NK never shows its face in IND. A 28 inch pitch is an insult to commercial travel. That is far below anything that should be legally allowed. A 28 inch pitch says you give zero crap about your customers. So no... no NK ever! We don't need IND to be the race to the bottom.

I'm not a fan at all of ULCC's like NK or F9, but I would welcome them into my local airport (in my case, BNA) because they provide competition on routes and drive fares lower. So even though I would never fly them, I would welcome NK coming into BNA and I sincerely hope it does soon.

Midwestindy

Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:40 pm

AirportRival wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Do you have it as view-able to anybody with the link? I personally can't see it.

Thanks, I had forgotten to do that.

ADrum23 wrote:
Indy wrote:

I'm not a fan at all of ULCC's like NK or F9, but I would welcome them into my local airport (in my case, BNA) because they provide competition on routes and drive fares lower. So even though I would never fly them, I would welcome NK coming into BNA and I sincerely hope it does soon.

Indy wrote:

flymco753 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
I find it slightly difficult to believe that IND and STL will happen next year only because NK is really conservative with opening new stations, Also that BNA and AUS are essentially the bigger fish needing fried, maybe a winter 2018 start for NK at IND or STL, STL might have an the edge with how many routes they get, with NK and F9 doing a good job of not stepping on each other STL would get FLL, ATL, MSY, DTW, BWI, and LAS to start where IND would only get FLL, BWI, MSY, and DFW to start. BNA and AUS would be constrained to 1 gate so there’s no real rapid expansion that can be done here, BNA would probably get DTW, DFW and FLL to start. AUS would get ORD, DTW, EWR and BWI.

I am not a big fan of NK either, but this seems to be very likely. Apparently, an NK LAX base will be announced this coming Tuesday. And IND and STL could likely be announced then as well, which would start 2018....IIRC BNA was in the works for a start of late 2017-2018, but I don't remember for sure...

stl07

Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:19 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
I am not a big fan of NK either, but this seems to be very likely. Apparently, an NK LAX base will be announced this coming Tuesday. And IND and STL could likely be announced then as well, which would start 2018....IIRC BNA was in the works for a start of late 2017-2018, but I don't remember for sure...

Do you work for NK or something? How do you know all this? :D

stl07

Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:25 pm

STL makes perfect sense considering they are opening a new part of the C concourse with that stated reason as something like "in case an airline expresses interest," so that would make the mystery come together. (posted a while back in the STL topic) IND needs the competition too.

Midwestindy

Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:48 pm

stl07 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Do you work for NK or something? How do you know all this? :D

stl07 wrote:
STL makes perfect sense considering they are opening a new part of the C concourse with that stated reason as something like "in case an airline expresses interest," so that would make the mystery come together. (posted a while back in the STL topic) IND needs the competition too.

Nope haha, I have no affiliation with NK. All I know was that the new hire class at NK was told the LAX base will be announced this coming Tuesday, and another person mentioned that IND, STL, and UIO routes are supposed to begin next year. Keep in mind that, none of this is final until it is announced though...

Maybe this could be a preemptive move by NK, considering SY and G4 have been vocal in their interest in expanding at IND...

Maybe, IND or STL will tease an announcement Monday....

zackary747

Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:00 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
zackary747 wrote:

UA IND-SFO goes down to 1x daily around that time so it makes sense that they may upguage.

Also, do you know the timeline of when that may be announced, I also remember a rumor that UA LAX-IND was in the works....

I think a red eye would be the only option considering SEA/SFO flights occupy the gate from afternoon-late evening

The employee said that they already made a "YES" decision on it as a Jan. 3, 2018 starting date, so expect for it to be announced sooner for that date. Note, AAG could easily change something at the last second as nothing is official. It's suppose to be under VX metal. The employee said that SAN will most likely come before PDX, but both are in the works.

Where did you hear about NK? Every medium sized city has been mentioned it seems like. I'm sure it's just a matter of time until they respond to F9's big expansion.

flymco753

Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:01 pm

NK though is very conservative with their routes according to someone I know down at Miramar. They've understood that CAK, FNT, DAY markets aren't working for them so for those who are wooing YNG to get NK, it isn't happening since NK has a decent network from CLE and PIT. From what I understand BNA is a likely spring add along with AUS. I've done a huge forecast model on NK including flight times and aircraft size, I'll post that in the NK thread.

ADrum23

Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:28 pm

flymco753 wrote:
NK though is very conservative with their routes according to someone I know down at Miramar. They've understood that CAK, FNT, DAY markets aren't working for them so for those who are wooing YNG to get NK, it isn't happening since NK has a decent network from CLE and PIT. From what I understand BNA is a likely spring add along with AUS. I've done a huge forecast model on NK including flight times and aircraft size, I'll post that in the NK thread.

If they want to respond to F9, they have a lot of catching up to do. Where are you hearing about NK's future expansion plans?

If they really want to expand, the next round of new cities ought to be AUS, BNA, RDU, IND and STL.

Jshank83

Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:54 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
Indy wrote:

I am somewhere in between you two. On one hand ,I have no interest in them coming in and taking traffic from others, that might lead to others cutting routes. On the other hand, if it drives down fares on the airlines I do fly, then I can get behind it. For those airports that NK does serve, does WN/AA etc lower their fares on routes they compete with NK? I have seen it in STL with them coming down on ones F9 runs but I don't know if those airlines treat NK the same way. They don't treat allegiant the same way but then again they fly out of a secondary airport in STL. Do they come down on flights in Indy that compete with allegiant? Assuming there are some routes Allegiant and someone else compete on there?

flymco753

Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:00 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

If they want to respond to F9, they have a lot of catching up to do. Where are you hearing about NK's future expansion plans?

If they really want to expand, the next round of new cities ought to be AUS, BNA, RDU, IND and STL.
See I think NK found themselves a perfect niche, I don't see NK going super grow like F9.

Jshank83

Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:05 pm

Midwestindy wrote:

STL never teases announcements. It is annoying. They didn't even tease WOW until 90 minutes before the announcement. Half the time a new route is added they just wait til the end of the week to put it in the weekly news posting. They need someone to give them social media lessons. The head marketing/PR person doesn't even have any kind of social media account. So hopefully IND does better.

Midwestindy

Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:01 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

STL never teases announcements. It is annoying. They didn't even tease WOW until 90 minutes before the announcement. Half the time a new route is added they just wait til the end of the week to put it in the weekly news posting. They need someone to give them social media lessons. The head marketing/PR person doesn't even have any kind of social media account. So hopefully IND does better.

The recent announcements IND-AZA/CDG/LAS/TPA/AUS/CUN haven't been teased so I wouldn't get my hopes up :D

Jshank83 wrote:
Do they come down on flights in Indy that compete with allegiant? Assuming there are some routes Allegiant and someone else compete on there?

Haven't really paid that close of attention to prices on competing routes, but keep in mind G4 doesn't really compete with the big boys (AA, UA, DL) out of IND except to Orlando, Fort Myers (Sat only), and soon to be Phoenix. However all of those destinations already had ULCCs and LCCs on them, so it would be hard to tell, how far prices come down. Also, most airlines probably won't drop prices for 2x weekly service.

zackary747 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
zackary747 wrote:

The employee said that they already made a "YES" decision on it as a Jan. 3, 2018 starting date, so expect for it to be announced sooner for that date. Note, AAG could easily change something at the last second as nothing is official. It's suppose to be under VX metal. The employee said that SAN will most likely come before PDX, but both are in the works.

Where did you hear about NK? Every medium sized city has been mentioned it seems like. I'm sure it's just a matter of time until they respond to F9's big expansion.

That's great! Thanks for sharing, although I feel like it is quite late to announce a new route starting on Jan 3. If it is going to announced it will probably have to come in the next week or two..
Did the source happen to mention what equipment they might try on the IND-PDX/SAN flights?

I heard from an employee at NK

All this makes the F9 to A concourse move more interesting.... with B15 and B16 now open, NK could possibly use two gates now if need be. Or, maybe AA could move to either B15/16, and AS/VX could use A5/A6 if they need to RON aircraft. Or maybe NK could get B15 and SY if they come could get B16. All of this is hypothetical, but it is interesting to play out what might happen.

ADrum23

Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:09 pm

zackary747 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
zackary747 wrote:

So just to clarify, you are saying VX is going to start a IND-LAX redeye flight? Wouldn't it be better to wait and see how the SFO flight is doing first?

ADrum23

Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:16 pm

Midwestindy wrote:

Just to clarify, did they said NK is going to launch STL and IND next year? Interesting. What about AUS and BNA? It would seem odd to me if NK launched IND and STL before those two, especially AUS.

Midwestindy

Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:36 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Just to clarify, did they said NK is going to launch STL and IND next year? Interesting. What about AUS and BNA? It would seem odd to me if NK launched IND and STL before those two, especially AUS.

I heard about STL and IND, I'll ask about AUS. BNA is allegedly coming soon though....

zackary747

Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:28 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
zackary747 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

So just to clarify, you are saying VX is going to start a IND-LAX redeye flight? Wouldn't it be better to wait and see how the SFO flight is doing first?

I'm just relaying what I heard from the employee through my friend. The bookings look good for SFO so far I heard (from said employee), so it looks like we could see this soon.

zackary747

Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:31 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

The recent announcements IND-AZA/CDG/LAS/TPA/AUS/CUN haven't been teased so I wouldn't get my hopes up :D

Jshank83 wrote:
Do they come down on flights in Indy that compete with allegiant? Assuming there are some routes Allegiant and someone else compete on there?

Haven't really paid that close of attention to prices on competing routes, but keep in mind G4 doesn't really compete with the big boys (AA, UA, DL) out of IND except to Orlando, Fort Myers (Sat only), and soon to be Phoenix. However all of those destinations already had ULCCs and LCCs on them, so it would be hard to tell, how far prices come down. Also, most airlines probably won't drop prices for 2x weekly service.

zackary747 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

That's great! Thanks for sharing, although I feel like it is quite late to announce a new route starting on Jan 3. If it is going to announced it will probably have to come in the next week or two..
Did the source happen to mention what equipment they might try on the IND-PDX/SAN flights?

All this makes the F9 to A concourse move more interesting.... with B15 and B16 now open, NK could possibly use two gates now if need be. Or, maybe AA could move to either B15/16, and AS/VX could use A5/A6 if they need to RON aircraft. Or maybe NK could get B15 and SY if they come could get B16. All of this is hypothetical, but it is interesting to play out what might happen.

PDX and SAN would be on AS metal. Not sure with varient(s) of the 737 tho. Or Emb.

EDIT: How did B16 get open? It kinda sounds like a NK and SY type of thing if you think about it.

Midwestindy

Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:41 am

zackary747 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

Jshank83 wrote:

zackary747 wrote:

PDX and SAN would be on AS metal. Not sure with varient(s) of the 737 tho. Or Emb.

EDIT: How did B16 get open? It kinda sounds like a NK and SY type of thing if you think about it.

I don't know the exact details of which gates are leased, and which gates are Common-Use (if someone knows that would be great), but B16 appears to be a common-use gate because from what I have seen AA only RONs aircraft at that gate...

I am not betting on an announcement on a NK announcement Tuesday, but within the next year I believe NK will be serving IND. Hopefully SY hops into the market in the next year as well.

Indy

Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:05 am

Can you imagine flying a route like IND-LAX on NK? That would be a completely horrible experience. If you have any kind of knee problems you will likely be in great pain by the time you arrive.

zackary747

Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:56 am

Well, Tuesday is tomorrow.

Are they for sure going to expand schedules tomorrow, or is even the date still subjective?

My friend tweeted Spirit asking if IND would be added. They just said "We can not give information at this time". So they didn't fully say no.

zackary747

Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:25 pm

https://www.fool.com/investing/2016/06/ ... -next.aspx

Found this article. It states that the CEO wants to target the midwest before F9 and G4 take all the holes.

Said something would be announced this fall. Well, we're here.

FLYKTPA

Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:26 pm

zackary747 wrote:
https://www.fool.com/investing/2016/06/08/where-will-spirit-airlines-incorporated-grow-next.aspx

Found this article. It states that the CEO wants to target the midwest before F9 and G4 take all the holes.

The article is from Summer 2016. So “this fall” was fall 2016.

zackary747

Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:35 pm

FLYKTPA wrote:
zackary747 wrote:
https://www.fool.com/investing/2016/06/08/where-will-spirit-airlines-incorporated-grow-next.aspx

The article is from Summer 2016. So “this fall” was fall 2016.

I kinda read that in a different way. Well, they didn't add crap last fall as far as midwest goes. So maybe it got delayed.

flymco753

Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:38 pm

I’m not counting on IND just yet particularly because there’s bigger fish to fry in terms of filling gaps in the network for now, and as I said before NK can be pretty conservative with new stations, hence why they don’t announce routes more than maybe twice a year.

zackary747

Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:00 pm

flymco753 wrote:
I’m not counting on IND just yet particularly because there’s bigger fish to fry in terms of filling gaps in the network for now, and as I said before NK can be pretty conservative with new stations, hence why they don’t announce routes more than maybe twice a year.

Yeah, I completely get your point, and I notice the same thing. But, Frontier used to be that way to a larger extent and then shocked the world with that big announcement. Not saying NK will do that, but with how airlines feel threatened when they feel like their network isn't diverse enough you never know what happens. We'll see what happens in given time.

Indy

Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:04 pm

IND Tweeted that we are 1 nonstop away from our record. I am not sure that is accurate. Didn't US Air fly a lot more nonstop destinations during the hub days when their service topped out at nearly 150 flights a day?

zackary747

Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:54 pm

Indy wrote:
IND Tweeted that we are 1 nonstop away from our record. I am not sure that is accurate. Didn't US Air fly a lot more nonstop destinations during the hub days when their service topped out at nearly 150 flights a day?

49 nonstop dest. is our record. We're at 48.

Midwestindy

Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:05 pm

Indy wrote:

Interesting they added in that little nugget about being 1 nonstop away..... :?:

August as a whole was up 7.1% from Aug '16

Air Canada was up 31%
Delta was up 13.6%
Southwest was up 7.8%

Indy

Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:17 pm

I know we kind of discussed it not long ago, but given the rate of growth at IND, how does it handle the expansion over the next 5 years? If IND manages a 3% growth rate for the next 5 years, we will be near the 10 million passenger mark. With G4 promising to expand, AS likely to expand, and SY indicating interest in IND, the growth rate could be higher. Then there is the possibility of NK coming to IND and maybe someday B6. Then of course there is the chance of picking up an EU LCC in the next few years. How does IND cope with this? Where would all of the airlines go? Does anyone have any theories how IND could manage the demand for gate space?

Midwestindy

Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:40 pm

Indy wrote:
I know we kind of discussed it not long ago, but given the rate of growth at IND, how does it handle the expansion over the next 5 years? If IND manages a 3% growth rate for the next 5 years, we will be near the 10 million passenger mark. With G4 promising to expand, AS likely to expand, and SY indicating interest in IND, the growth rate could be higher. Then there is the possibility of NK coming to IND and maybe someday B6. Then of course there is the chance of picking up an EU LCC in the next few years. How does IND cope with this? Where would all of the airlines go? Does anyone have any theories how IND could manage the demand for gate space?

"Rodriguez expects more "a few more" new routes to be announced at the beginning of next year."
:stirthepot:

http://www.insideindianabusiness.com/st ... dy-airport

"Rodriguez’s data comes from the most recent MIT Airport Connectivity Quality Index, which places the Indianapolis International Airport fifth in the nation for best connected among airports in its class, and predicts that with recent and future service additions, the Indy airport will maintain or enhance that strong position."

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos