Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

nickflightx
Topic Author

Alaska to announce new Bay Area routes

Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:40 pm

Will be interesting to see what routes they bring! Hoping for more east coast. Maybe florida too.

WHAT/WHO: San Jose Mayor Sam Liccardo and Alaska Airlines Vice President – Capacity Planning John Kirby will announce new nonstop cities for Mineta San Jose International Airport (SJC) to begin fall 2017.

Alaska Airlines has designated San Jose as a focus city and continues to expand service and connect key markets at Silicon Valley’s airport. With this announcement, Alaska will offer the largest number of nonstop destinations among all SJC carriers.

Alaska’s new nonstop flights to Newark, an important gateway to the New York area, and Burbank which begin on March 12 and March 16, respectively, will also be recognized.

WHEN: Thursday, March 9, 2017
Media arrival – 9:45 a.m. (PST); Announcement – 10:00 - 10:30 a.m.

WHERE: Mineta San Jose International Airport
Terminal B, Airline Ticketing Lobby, First Floor (pre-security)
1701 Airport Blvd., San José, CA 95110

PlanesNTrains

Re: Alaska to announce new SJC routes

Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:03 pm

DAL
PVR
LAS
BOS
ORD
GEG
PHX

Just random guesses.....

hiflyeras

Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:19 pm

AUS, BWI, IND, OMA, MCI, MCO, STL are my two-cents.

TransGlobalGold

Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:33 pm

An older issue of Airliner World magazine (I've since tossed it), said SJC and AS were looking specifically at transcons, especially Florida. I don't se DAL unless AS has already made up it's mind to keep the VX gates and transfer it's DFW routes down the road.

TransGlobalGold

Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:33 pm

An older issue of Airliner World magazine (I've since tossed it), said SJC and AS were looking specifically at transcons, especially Florida. I don't see DAL unless AS has already made up it's mind to keep the VX gates and transfer it's DFW routes down the road.

msycajun

Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:36 pm

It will be interesting to see if they go for any "all new" cities to SJC or just routes that AS doesn't fly (but others do).
I think they will need to add LAX, LAS, PHX, DEN and maybe ORD and DFW depending on the deal with AA, if they are serious about SJC. I don't remember if they can codeshare on those routes.

If I'm not mistaken, the largest unserved markets are, in order: MCO, DTW, RDU, PHL, DCA, MCI, STL, TPA, MSY, IND, and IAD. GEG is smaller but highly likely in my opinion. Of course DCA could be served through IAD, so combining those, most of the unserved destinations are pretty long East Coast routes.

Of course I'd love to see SJC-MSY - the Bay Area is woefully underserved - but I'm not holding my breath.

yoplait

Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:36 pm

nickflightx wrote:
Alaska will offer the largest number of nonstop destinations among all SJC carriers.

Alaska will operate 16 nonstop destinations by April this year and Southwest will operate 17 by June. If this quote is correct, we will see at least 2 new routes if not more.

lavalampluva

Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:54 pm

My guess is that they will duplicate WN service in the western US. With a couple branches east.

PlanesNTrains

Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:55 pm

hiflyeras wrote:

Two cents? Mine were only worth a penny. :-)

Indy

Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:13 pm

hiflyeras wrote:

I'd be surprised if IND was added. Don't recall SJC being talked about ever. I could be wrong but I don't think it is happening.

BoeingGuy

Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:15 pm

AS/QX did SJC-GEG for a short time. Supposedly the flight did well, so not sure why they pulled it.

It's interesting that AS is still expanding SJC even with the VX merger and their SFO presence.

Okay here is my two cents:

BOS
FLL
DCA
AUS
ORD

ryder1650

Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:19 pm

Wild guess - CMH

blockski

Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:23 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
AS/QX did SJC-GEG for a short time. Supposedly the flight did well, so not sure why they pulled it.

It's interesting that AS is still expanding SJC even with the VX merger and their SFO presence.

BOS
FLL
DCA
AUS
ORD

It won't be DCA because of the perimeter rule there.

BoeingGuy

Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:43 pm

blockski wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

BOS
FLL
DCA
AUS
ORD

You know AS has non-stops from DCA to LAX, SEA, and PDX already. I know they would need additional slots. I bet they'd like to do DCA-SAN too.

hiflyeras

Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:47 pm

I'm guessing it'll be a mix of mainline and OO/QX flying...E175 to OMA, MCI and IND with mainline BWI, MCO and possibly MSY. Didn't realize the bay area is underserved to MSY but maybe VX out of SFO would be a better fit?

as739x

Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:15 pm

UA just announced SFO-MSY is going back to daily year round from seasonal, so maybe a tough road for AS

I'd agree SJC-BOS. Seems logical and BOS is a profitable route from the Bay Area

peanuts

Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:27 pm

TransGlobalGold wrote:
An older issue of Airliner World magazine (I've since tossed it), said SJC and AS were looking specifically at transcons, especially Florida. I don't se DAL unless AS has already made up it's mind to keep the VX gates and transfer it's DFW routes down the road.

If anything, I'm mostly troubled by the fact you tossed an airliner magazine. What were you thinking! :)

iFlyDTW

Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:34 pm

Currently, SJC is DTW's 2nd largest destination not served, it was SNA until DL announced it. They know they could make money so DTW is probably in the top 5, definitely ahead of IND.

blockski

Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:36 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
blockski wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

BOS
FLL
DCA
AUS
ORD

You know AS has non-stops from DCA to LAX, SEA, and PDX already. I know they would need additional slots. I bet they'd like to do DCA-SAN too.

And where do you think they'd get DCA slots?

TransGlobalGold

Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:36 pm

peanuts wrote:
TransGlobalGold wrote:

If anything, I'm mostly troubled by the fact you tossed an airliner magazine. What were you thinking! :)

LOL. I already have 12 bankers boxes full of timetables, and another 4 in various memorabilia. Plus 300+ 1:400 scale models. I'm about ready to add a new room to my house at this rate.

ryder1650

Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:46 pm

iFlyDTW wrote:
Currently, SJC is DTW's 2nd largest destination not served, it was SNA until DL announced it. They know they could make money so DTW is probably in the top 5, definitely ahead of IND.

Southwest has served SNA from SJC forever...

jbs2886

Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:52 pm

ryder1650 wrote:
iFlyDTW wrote:

He means FROM DTW. Not second largest from SJC.

ryder1650

Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:54 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
ryder1650 wrote:
iFlyDTW wrote:

He means FROM DTW. Not second largest from SJC.

Ah!

n7371f

Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:00 pm

Interesting guesses on GEG but would be surprised. Right now AS is hyper-ventilating about E75's on major/mid-major markets in the system. GEG is something I'd expect to see in 2-3 years. But hope I'm wrong.

georgiabill

Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:15 pm

I would like to see AS fly SJC-BOS-SJC. I think the tech connections alone would warrant a try. I remember at one time AA flew the route BOS-SJC-NRT-SJC-BOS with a MD-11 for a short time before changing the routing to SJC-BOS-SJC.
For other possible additions, perhaps SJC-DTW-SJC, SJC-RDU-SJC(another tech route) and SJC-DTW-SJC just to keep DL honest!

BoeingGuy

Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:24 pm

georgiabill wrote:
I would like to see AS fly SJC-BOS-SJC. I think the tech connections alone would warrant a try. I remember at one time AA flew the route BOS-SJC-NRT-SJC-BOS with a MD-11 for a short time before changing the routing to SJC-BOS-SJC.
For other possible additions, perhaps SJC-DTW-SJC, SJC-RDU-SJC(another tech route) and SJC-DTW-SJC just to keep DL honest!

DL doesn't do DTW-SJC. NW did it at one time but dropped it.

I could see AS doing SJC-RDU for the tech traffic. AA announced it years ago, but never started it. IIRC, Midway did SJC-RDU briefly years ago.

aaflyer777

Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:25 pm

BOS-SJC would be a smart move, only competition is B6 and they only serve it seasonally

32andBelow

Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:30 pm

AS is big on BOS and BWI from all their other west coast hubs!!

crazytoaster

Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:38 pm

Indy wrote:
hiflyeras wrote:

I'd be surprised if IND was added. Don't recall SJC being talked about ever. I could be wrong but I don't think it is happening.

Ya I would be very surprised to see IND-SJC. However, I could see AS add IND-SFO later down the road. Only UA overs it nonstop and there is room for 2 airlines on this route. They could beat out WN before they add IND-OAK.

jbpdx

Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:43 pm

32andBelow wrote:
AS is big on BOS and BWI from all their other west coast hubs!!

Alaska is only starting PDX-BWI this June, and it will only operate summer seasonally for three months.

hiflyeras

Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:48 am

SEA, LAX and SAN-BWI operate daily. This seems like one of the most likely candidates from SJC. There are a lot of seasonal flights this summer out of PDX (BWI, PHL, MKE) and hoping some make it year-round.

B752OS

Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:33 am

I am surprised BOS-SJC is not flown year round. Two large tech and education centers.

ERJ170

Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:39 am

Please let it be RDU-SJC as one of the routes.. Alaska single flight could sure use some company. And they would have the route all to themselves before someone else jumps on it.. (whomever that would be).. CROSSING FINGERS

11725Flyer

Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:54 am

Just for fun, here were the AA nonstops from SJC from a September, 2000 timetable. Let's see if any of these are part of the announcement. (Yes, some may already be served.)

SAN
SNA
LAX
HNL
PDX
SEA
ANC (1-stop)
AUS
ORD
BOS
NYC (most likely JFK)
DEN
RNO
LAS
PHX
DFW

wedgetail737

Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:28 am

I'm hoping AS opens a well-rounded selection of cities involving mainline, E-175 and Q400's. For instance, the mainline cities could be those that go to BOS or BWI. E-175 flights could go to ONT, LAS or PSP. Lastly, the Q400 routes could include RDM or MFR Maybe we'll see the re-introduction of service between SJC and AUS and MMH.

BoeingGuy

Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:46 am

11725Flyer wrote:
Just for fun, here were the AA nonstops from SJC from a September, 2000 timetable. Let's see if any of these are part of the announcement. (Yes, some may already be served.)

SAN
SNA
LAX
HNL
PDX
SEA
ANC (1-stop)
AUS
ORD
BOS
NYC (most likely JFK)
DEN
RNO
LAS
PHX
DFW

AA also did OGG for awhile, and MIA for about six months. They've also done SJC-YVR. AA had as many as 4x daily non-stops from SJC to both BOS and JFK.

They had 77 mainline flights from SJC at the highest.

dc10lover

Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:53 am

What about SJC - ORD? Non - stop.

PlanesNTrains

Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:02 am

dc10lover wrote:
What about SJC - ORD? Non - stop.

See post's 2, 6, and 11.

LambertMan

Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:15 am

I think STL makes sense given the emerging tech scene. Might be able to siphon traffic away from WN's OAK / SFO routes and UA's SFO flights.

BoeingGuy

Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:51 am

AS has actually dropped a number of SJC routes over the years. I wonder if any of them will come back in this new announcement. I can think of:

LAX
TUS
PSP
PVR
AUS
GEG

I would expect some longer haul connect the dots like ORD, MCO, FLL, BWI, BOS. Maybe a resumption of AUS.

I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

Jshank83

Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:09 am

LambertMan wrote:
I think STL makes sense given the emerging tech scene. Might be able to siphon traffic away from WN's OAK / SFO routes and UA's SFO flights.

I see where you are coming from on this with the tech stuff. I'm just not sure if there is enough demand on top of the Bay Area routes already from STL. I also don't know the dynamic of SJC vs OAK/SFO flight wise. I fly to the Bay Area a fair amount but it's always OAK/SFO and adding SJC wouldn't change what I do (unless it's a lot cheaper). They might be able to make it work with a E175 since it is smaller. I'm sure the AA people in STL would like AS adding this route since they codeshare.

wedgetail737

Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:23 am

Jshank83 wrote:
LambertMan wrote:

I see where you are coming from on this with the tech stuff. I'm just not sure if there is enough demand on top of the Bay Area routes already from STL. I also don't know the dynamic of SJC vs OAK/SFO flight wise. I fly to the Bay Area a fair amount but it's always OAK/SFO and adding SJC wouldn't change what I do (unless it's a lot cheaper). They might be able to make it work with a E175 since it is smaller. I'm sure the AA people in STL would like AS adding this route since they codeshare.

I know that STL dynamics were very different when TWA was around and linked the Bay Area with STL. But back when TWA was flying around, OAK had a hard time keeping TWA's OAK-STL service. At best, TW had 2X daily OAK-STL...one nonstop early in the morning and another redeye via SJC.

On the other hand, SJC had 3X daily with a morning, afternoon and redeye (from OAK).

Today, WN is the only airline that flies OAK-STL right now with 1X daily.

I'm pretty confident SJC can carry a nonstop SJC-STL route, but I'm not convinced that it will be AS. I think WN has a better chance for success.

iAmAlaska49

Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:50 am

It would be nice to see them add ANC-SJC because ANC really needs more flights to the Bay Area. Right now we only get United from San Francisco in the Summer only. VX only flew that route for a year back in 2013 and it seems they didn't enjoy the route very well so they pulled out,sadly.

BoeingGuy

Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:23 am

iAmAlaska49 wrote:
It would be nice to see them add ANC-SJC because ANC really needs more flights to the Bay Area. Right now we only get United from San Francisco in the Summer only. VX only flew that route for a year back in 2013 and it seems they didn't enjoy the route very well so they pulled out,sadly.

AS also did SFO-ANC seasonally several years ago. It also didn't last more than a few seasons. If SJC could support it, I'd like to see ANC too. I suspect stuff like BOS is more likely though.

SANFan

Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:39 am

Some pretty grandiose hopes from some posters on this thread!

AAG doesn't have unlimited new a/c coming this fall, and, they have lots of other growth areas in their network that they are also invested in. (I do understand that there will be some a/c coming off the seasonal summer routes.)

My thought would be perhaps 1 or 2 737-routes (maybe such as BOS and/or MCO with 1 of them being a red-eye transcon to save a/c time) and a maximum of 2 or 3 Horizon/OO routes, with a high chance of them being intra-California (such as LA + perhaps ONT or PSP.) A longshot might be PVR, AUS, GEG or maybe even one of the ski destinations.

Chances are AS will primarily go after currently unserved but high-traffic markets from SJC but there might be a shot or 2 at WN monopolies from Mineta Intl as well.

Whatever is revealed tomorrow, congrats in advance to SJC on continued growth for your airport and city!

bb

iAmAlaska49

Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:33 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
iAmAlaska49 wrote:

AS also did SFO-ANC seasonally several years ago. It also didn't last more than a few seasons. If SJC could support it, I'd like to see ANC too. I suspect stuff like BOS is more likely though.

That's what I'm thinking too since BWI and BOS are their two main focus cities on the East coast.

werdywerd

Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:10 pm

Alaska Airlines announces 13 new nonstop routes from the Bay Area

SAN FRANCISCO, March 9, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Three months after its acquisition of Virgin America, Alaska Airlines is growing its Bay Area footprint, adding 13 new nonstop markets from San Francisco International Airport and Mineta San Jose International Airport. The routes mark the single largest new market announcement in Alaska Airlines history. With the additional flights, Alaska Airlines and Virgin America will offer guests 125 daily nonstop flights to 42 destinations from the three major Bay Area airports.

See Link for Details of new Routes:
https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/2017-03- ... e-Bay-Area

commavia

Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:15 pm

werdywerd wrote:
Alaska Airlines announces 13 new nonstop routes from the Bay Area

SAN FRANCISCO, March 9, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Three months after its acquisition of Virgin America, Alaska Airlines is growing its Bay Area footprint, adding 13 new nonstop markets from San Francisco International Airport and Mineta San Jose International Airport. The routes mark the single largest new market announcement in Alaska Airlines history. With the additional flights, Alaska Airlines and Virgin America will offer guests 125 daily nonstop flights to 42 destinations from the three major Bay Area airports.

See Link for Details of new Routes:
https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/2017-03- ... e-Bay-Area

Wow - that's impressive. If Alaska can effectively manage the merger integration, it is going to be an incredibly powerful competitive force up and down the West Coast. This latest announcement reinforces the place Alaska/Virgin hold as a very strong and compelling domestic #2 at SFO, on top of the strong positions at LAX, SJC and SAN, the growing hub at PDX, and of course the dominant position at SEA. Very, very impressive.

LBA1432

Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:25 pm

Pure speculation... but RDU have said on their twitter feed they'll be making an announcement today...

allegiantflyer

Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:39 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
AS has actually dropped a number of SJC routes over the years. I wonder if any of them will come back in this new announcement. I can think of:

LAX
TUS
PSP
PVR
AUS
GEG

I would expect some longer haul connect the dots like ORD, MCO, FLL, BWI, BOS. Maybe a resumption of AUS.

I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

LAX,TUS,AUS on the list.
I can't believe TUS-California came before PHX-California.

AS improving its intra-California network,something they need to do to become "the leading west coast carrier" because right now it sucks

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos