Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

psimpson

Re: Irish 3/17

Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:52 pm

shamrock321 wrote:
So EI are expecting 2 A330s this year and another 2 next year?

I am only seeing 2 A330-300s on order for Aer Lingus MSN1791 and MSN1817 which are showing for delivery May & August 2017 respectively.

stratocruiser

Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:45 pm

kaitak wrote:
n272wa wrote:

Not so sure about Ottawa or Cleveland- I think Pittsburgh would be a better bet.

I think so, too; PIT has quite a strong Irish community (though I think CLE does too

The Pittsburgh and Cleveland metropolitan area populations are similar at 2.3 and 2 million respectively and, you are correct, Cleveland also has a strong Irish community. However one factor which could make CLE slightly more attractive to EI is the lack of any transatlantic service from there at the moment whereas PIT, as far as I know, is connected to Paris.

n272wa

Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:48 pm

Just driving home from work and saw a Lufthansa A346 landing in Dublin R28.... seems to be a MUC-ORD diversion

OA260

Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:46 pm

German flight forced into emergency landing at Dublin Airport

The flight from Munich to Chicago was over three hours into its journey when it turned around about 1000 kilometres off Ireland

A transatlantic flight was forced into an emergency landing at Dublin Airport this afternoon, after a passenger suffered a suspected stroke on board.

Lufthansa flight LH-434 was travelling from Munich to Chicago when the flight turned around about 1000 kilometres northwest of Ireland.

The flight was over three hours into its journey when the crew contacted air traffic controllers in Ireland to advise them they had an ill passenger on board and confirmed they needed to divert for an urgent emergency landing.

The passenger, believed to be a man in his 50s, was feared to have suffered a stroke, and the crew requested that emergency medical services be standing by for their arrival.

The flight crew also confirmed that they had a medical doctor on board who was caring for the passenger.

To ensure the Airbus A340-600 touched down within safe landing weight limits the crew requested permission to dump aviation fuel over the Atlantic.

The crew spent about 10 minutes jettisoning fuel before continuing to Dublin for a safe landing at 6.45pm.

http://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-ne ... g-12736808

n272wa

Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:58 pm

Not previously mentioned here... WOW Air further increase Dublin - Keflavík from 7w to 9w effective start of June. Wednesday and Sunday will see a second daily departure (22.35 departure from DUB).

OA260

Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:17 pm

Aer Lingus ( Tuesday ) Cancellations due to East Coast storm :

n272wa

Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:34 am

Irish Coast Guard Helicopter with 4 crew missing off the Mayo coast:

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0314/85953 ... -incident/

dstc47

Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:38 am

Sadly wreckage seen in the water and one person has been recovered in critical condition. Three other crew of the Dublin SAR S92 are missing and hopes are fading. A dark day indeed.

OA260

Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:52 am

dstc47 wrote:
Sadly wreckage seen in the water and one person has been recovered in critical condition. Three other crew of the Dublin SAR S92 are missing and hopes are fading. A dark day indeed.

Does not look good . Two crashes in a space of a few days .

OA260

Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:30 am

Shannon to draw up masterplan to help secure future of airport

Shannon Airport is to draw up a new masterplan with the aid of a major research project that will start next month which aims to provide the foundation for a stronger commercial offering.

It also wants to develop a strong brand proposition for the airport, which handled 1.74 million passengers last year, a figure that was virtually unchanged on 2015.

The State-owned facility, which was separated in 2012 from the Dublin and Cork Airports owner - the DAA - is part of the Shannon Group, which also includes Shannon Heritage.

The airport wants insight into passengers' "current perceptions of Shannon Airport and reveal their needs and requirements in the future".

"Insights from this study will provide a fuller understanding of our passenger base, the regional dynamics of our catchment area and must have a particular emphasis on developing a strong brand position for the airport that has sensitivity to our local cultural identity," it says.

http://www.independent.ie/business/iris ... 35705.html

JAmie2k9

Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:13 pm

Aer Club offering 30,000 if you register with independent newspapers but the 30,000 points are restricted to 24 routes.

ClassicLover

Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:30 pm

JAmie2k9 wrote:
Aer Club offering 30,000 if you register with independent newspapers but the 30,000 points are restricted to 24 routes.

What do you mean, 24 routes?

Avios can be transferred out, so I'd be moving them straight across to BA if I got them. Which I won't be... but it's nice to think about it as it's the cheapest way I have ever seen for that many Avios.

JAmie2k9

Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:39 am

ClassicLover wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:

What do you mean, 24 routes?

Avios can be transferred out, so I'd be moving them straight across to BA if I got them. Which I won't be... but it's nice to think about it as it's the cheapest way I have ever seen for that many Avios.

Email employs: "Once you have subscribed to the Irish and Sunday Independent, you can use your Avios points to fly to your choice of 24 destinations, including Paris, Barcelona, Geneva, Venice, Madrid and London."

caoimhin

Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:54 am

This has been around for a few weeks now, I think. I've read that the incentive indeed for Avios, whichever way you wish to allocate them. The language concerning the 24 destinations is marketing.

If anyone hasn't come across the offer yet:
https://www.reachhomedelivery.ie/newspa ... VIOS_OFFER

OA260

Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:16 am

Happy St. Patrick’s Day / Lá Fhéile Pádraig Sona Daoibh

RRTrent

Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:25 am

caoimhin wrote:
This has been around for a few weeks now, I think. I've read that the incentive indeed for Avios, whichever way you wish to allocate them. The language concerning the 24 destinations is marketing.

How long do we think this will be going for? I was looking at flights to Miami with BA only last week, I've just checked the avios website and 30k points will get you one economy return. This is presuming they can be transferred to avios of course!

OA260

Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:40 pm

RRTrent wrote:
caoimhin wrote:

How long do we think this will be going for? I was looking at flights to Miami with BA only last week, I've just checked the avios website and 30k points will get you one economy return. This is presuming they can be transferred to avios of course!

I posted this offer when it first came out in the previous thread. More detail here :

AerClub and Avios

30,000 Avios points will be added to your AerClub account, which you can use to spend towards flights to various destinations.
Please allow 21 days after you subscribe to receive instructions from Avios on how to use your unique voucher code.
Please allow 2-5 days after you subscribe to receive Avios points into your AerClub account.
You will need to pay taxes, fees and charges for your flights, these are payable in cash.
Avios points are issued and redeemed in accordance with Avios terms and conditions, for further details please visit www.avios.com
This offer is subject to availability.
To claim Avios points, customers do the following:
You must be a member of AerClub, British Airways Executive Club or Iberia Plus.
The Avios voucher must be claimed online at www.aviosvouchers.com/avios by 23.59 on the 30th June 2017.

shamrock350

Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:48 pm

In typical Aer Lingus fashion, they've released a lovely video for St. Patrick's Day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJK7YarHH38

Another example of how they've managed to refresh the brand without actually changing any physical aspects of it.

RRTrent

Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:09 pm

OA260 wrote:
I posted this offer when it first came out in the previous thread. More detail here

That's brilliant, thank you very much. So I'm presuming we have until June. I'll box this one off in the next couple of weeks and that's my holliers sorted.

OA260

Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:44 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
In typical Aer Lingus fashion, they've released a lovely video for St. Patrick's Day.

Another example of how they've managed to refresh the brand without actually changing any physical aspects of it.

Although as a few of my friends and colleagues suggested it could have reflected a more diverse modern Ireland. I kind of understand their point. Plenty of Black,Indian,Chinese Irish citizens today and not one mention of them.

shamrock350

Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:39 pm

OA260 wrote:
shamrock350 wrote:

Although as a few of my friends and colleagues suggested it could have reflected a more diverse modern Ireland. I kind of understand their point. Plenty of Black,Indian,Chinese Irish citizens today and not one mention of them.

Honestly, that's a bit of a stretch.

The storyboard of the 46 second video is very obvious, link Irish history with high profile people and events to destinations served by Aer Lingus. So I don't think it was intended to represent "modern Ireland" in any way shape or form, in fact there's almost zero imagery from Ireland featured.

I've been working in the marketing department of a British superstore, most of our stuff is in house and our studies show that we are way ahead of all major brands in the UK for representation within our marketing but in some case we have over represented some minorities which has alienated our core customer base, White British people. Our thought process was, "that's what people want to see" but the reality was that it didn't connect with the masses at all and left us looking like we had an agenda.

Maybe an entirely different storyboard should have been created by Aer Lingus to ensure representation but with Ireland remaining over 85% White Irish (2011) it would have appeared like a token gesture and that's something most people can see right through as cheap way to see products.

My views are purely from a marketing perspective and not one relating to social issues, diversity or equal rights. That's for another forum.

OA260

Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:58 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
OA260 wrote:
shamrock350 wrote:

The storyboard of the 46 second video is very obvious, link Irish history with high profile people and events to destinations served by Aer Lingus. So I don't think it was intended to represent "modern Ireland" in any way shape or form, in fact there's almost zero imagery from Ireland featured.

I've been working in the marketing department of a British superstore, most of our stuff is in house and our studies show that we are way ahead of all major brands in the UK for representation within our marketing but in some case we have over represented some minorities which has alienated our core customer base, White British people. Our thought process was, "that's what people want to see" but the reality was that it didn't connect with the masses at all and left us looking like we had an agenda.

Maybe an entirely different storyboard should have been created by Aer Lingus to ensure representation but with Ireland remaining over 85% White Irish (2011) it would have appeared like a token gesture and that's something most people can see right through as cheap way to see products.

My views are purely from a marketing perspective and not one relating to social issues, diversity or equal rights. That's for another forum.

It really does not bother me personally that much. It was just comments made by Irish ( Born ) citizens I know who are not white. They seem to think that it was a bit of same old. Of course Ireland is quite a way behind the United Kingdom in regards to ethnic diversity but it does not mean they cant add something different. When you look back on EI advertising ( of all kinds ) you can kind of understand their point. I might not have noticed it myself had they not raised it. Knowing people who are quite high up in their field in advertising in the UK I know that things can and often are done with a balance without just putting in a token ''Insert race here''. I personally do not think that they should over compensate but I do believe that advertising should reflect current times. Maybe they should have replaced JFK with Obama ;) First Black president with Irish roots.

bx737

Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:22 pm

OA260 wrote:
shamrock350 wrote:
OA260 wrote:

Maybe they should have replaced JFK with Obama ;) First Black president with Irish roots.

But Obama did not walk down a set of Aer Lingus steps when he came to Ireland

OA260

Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:37 pm

bx737 wrote:
OA260 wrote:
shamrock350 wrote:

But Obama did not walk down a set of Aer Lingus steps when he came to Ireland

Good point but the guys in social media could have done PS. :lol:

ClassicLover

Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:11 pm

RRTrent wrote:
OA260 wrote:
I posted this offer when it first came out in the previous thread. More detail here

That's brilliant, thank you very much. So I'm presuming we have until June. I'll box this one off in the next couple of weeks and that's my holliers sorted.

No, you must buy before 31 March. Once you have your voucher code, you have until June to redeem it.

... and, you can buy 30,000 Avios at the moment on the BA site for only €100 more (there's bonus Avios at the minute).

OA260

Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:25 pm

Avolon on track to seal $10bn CIT air deal within fortnight

Dublin-based aircraft leasing company Avolon hopes to finalise its $10bn (€9.3bn) acquisition of CIT's leasing business within the next two weeks.

CIT said that Avolon's parent company, China's Bohai, has informed it that Bohai shareholders have approved the deal and that it is now awaiting Chinese regulatory approvals.

The acquisition will propel Avolon to being the world's third-largest aircraft lessor after GECAS and AerCap.

Releasing its annual report, CIT confirmed that the closing of the transaction with Avolon, which was acquired by Bohai Leasing last year in a deal with a $7.6bn enterprise value, remains on track for the end of the month.

Bohai is part of China's HNA conglomerate, which is led by billionaire Cheng Feng.

"We continue to target closing by the end of the first quarter of 2017," according to CIT.

"In March 2017, Bohai has advised us that they received approval of Bohai shareholders to complete the transaction," it added.

http://www.independent.ie/business/iris ... 38984.html

RRTrent

Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:08 am

ClassicLover wrote:
you can buy 30,000 Avios at the moment on the BA site for only €100 more (there's bonus Avios at the minute).

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but I've just been on the avios site and for the flights I'm looking at, it'll cost me just under 60K avios plus €900. Translated to €1600 total if both myself and herself buy the indo offer. However, the same flights are on Skyscanner now for €975 return. I'm not a maths genius, but that's a hell of a lot better than using points plus cash (numbers are rounded out of course)

Eirules

Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:55 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
OA260 wrote:
shamrock350 wrote:

Have to agree with you here. I'm all for ethnic diversity and a fair representation of the current demographics, but not just having a certain colour or race or sex purely to tick a box and so every minority isn't offended. Put in a black person and the Asians will be offended. Put them in too and then the hispanics will be. And what about the Eastern Europeans? Oh maybe put in a trans sexual too for fear of leaving them out. And better make sure there's someone there with a disability. The list is endless. Yes Ireland is changing and advertising shouldn't be purely aimed at the white majority, but I think as a nation we're too quick to be offended and jump on a bandwagon with any minority cause. Just my opinion though

AirbusA343

Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:20 pm

Is the Emirates A380 due on the 26th still coming? Or is it definitely cancelled?

SuperSix2

Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:20 pm

AirbusA343 wrote:
Is the Emirates A380 due on the 26th still coming? Or is it definitely cancelled?

I've heard from a few sources that the A380 will not be visiting after all. Also Emirates has postponed 'some' 2017 A380 deliveries to 2018, which could be something to do with it???

ClassicLover

Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:02 pm

RRTrent wrote:
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but I've just been on the avios site and for the flights I'm looking at, it'll cost me just under 60K avios plus €900. Translated to €1600 total if both myself and herself buy the indo offer. However, the same flights are on Skyscanner now for €975 return. I'm not a maths genius, but that's a hell of a lot better than using points plus cash (numbers are rounded out of course)

I would never use Avios for a points plus cash booking. It generally turns out to be poor value because the fare has to be in a class that is upgradable which is more expensive than the cheapest economy fare.

I use my Avios for straight redemption bookings (for short haul such as Club Europe) or for upgrades on BA from World Traveller Plus to Club World or Club World to First. That is where the real value is for me. It's also very good value for DUB-BOS for 37,500 Avios in Business Class on EI (used to be 25,000, now that was a good deal!)

I wouldn't get the Indo subscription unless I wanted the Indo. I could do with the 30,000 Avios though...

OA260

Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:12 am

Dubai backers in deal to fund €2bn McEvaddy terminal plan
Aviation entrepreneurs have been lobbying for ambitious project at Dublin Airport

Businessmen Ulick and Des McEvaddy have secured financial backing from a Dubai-based investment group to build a proposed €2bn terminal scheme at Dublin Airport.

Omega Air boss Ulick McEvaddy and his brother Des have been attempting for the past 20 years to develop a third independent terminal on 130 acres of land they own adjacent to Dublin Airport.

Now the McEvaddys have secured financial backing from Dubai-based Tricap Investments, a major investment fund with a diversified investment portfolio that spans real estate, energy and aerospace in the Middle East, the US, Asia and Africa, the Sunday Independent has learned.

http://www.independent.ie/business/iris ... 44011.html

EI321

Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:25 pm

Despite it being a positive story, I don't think funding would be the biggest problem in getting T3 built on the McEvaddy land, the DAA themselves are the biggest hurdle.

I wonder where the €2bn figure is coming from, since T2 was built to handle 15m at less than €700m?

tonystan

Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:36 pm

I would love to see the McEvaddys finally get their terminal up and running. They have tried so hard over the decades.

EI564

Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:52 pm

Why should we want a couple of rich men to get richer? The airport is doing well, so now the developers want to get their slice of the pie!

ClassicLover

Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:56 pm

tonystan wrote:
I would love to see the McEvaddys finally get their terminal up and running. They have tried so hard over the decades.

Where is their land exactly, anyone know?

BestWestern

Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:03 pm

They shouldn't be allowed to sponge off a state asset.

In Europe, has a private terminal ever worked successfully? Airport, yes - but private terminal in an airport?

OA260

Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:07 pm

EI564 wrote:
Why should we want a couple of rich men to get richer? The airport is doing well, so now the developers want to get their slice of the pie!

Well you could say that about plenty of other developers and business owners,government ministers etc... If they are going to deliver a decent 3rd Terminal then it would actually benefit the country. People said T2 was a waste of money but can you imagine if it had not been built. DUB would just be a back water airport on the edge of the EU.

tonystan

Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:10 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
tonystan wrote:

I could be wrong but I believe it's over by the Control Tower somewhere.

Don't understand why there is some hostility towards them. They have been very successful in developing Irish aviation over the years and have also been trying to break the stranglehold of the state over the airport both during Aer Rianta days and now with the DAA. If they can developer a niche by providing cheaper terminal facilities which pays off for the customers in the long run and do it profitably I'm all for it. Let's face it, the DAA are not the best planners, T2 is in the worst location possible, T1 needs a lot done to it to make it efficient and the runway was needed yesterday. If we don't want rich men getting richer stop flying Ryanair and IAG group airlines.

EI321

Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:19 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
tonystan wrote:

They own most of the land that is sandwiched between the current runway and the site of the new 2nd parallel runway, and is outside the current airport boundary fence.

OA260

Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:22 pm

Article from 2008 :

McEvaddy warns of legal bid to break T3 impasse

ENTREPRENEUR Ulick McEvaddy plans to "consider legal options" if the Competition Authority fails to resolve the impasse over Dublin Airport's third terminal "in the coming months".

His comments came as it emerged the Competition Authority is unlikely to reach a conclusion on the long-running row "in the immediate future", even though sources previously suggested a decision was expected before Christmas.

McEvaddy and his brother Des have long harboured plans to develop a third terminal on 140 acres of land they own adjacent to Dublin Airport.

But their plans were scuppered when the Dublin Airport Authority (DAA) indicated it wouldn't give the McEvaddys access to the airport's runway.

Intervention

The brothers responded by asking the Competition Authority to intervene in August 2005, claiming the DAA's actions were anti-competitive.

Last summer, sources suggested a decision would come before Christmas, but sources in the watchdog recently told this newspaper the case "does not look like it will reach a conclusion in the immediate future".

Mr McEvaddy said that the last correspondence he could recall receiving from the Competition Authority came "about six months ago".

"We've asked them for a time line -- we've been told there isn't any," he added.

"I have not got indefinite patience with the Competition Authority. If this isn't resolved in the coming months, I'll be considering my legal options."

Those legal options include pursuing a High Court judicial review of the DAA's decision, a costly move which has been open to the McEvaddys from the start.

If the McEvaddys' challenge fails, their terminal plans are effectively dead in the water. If the challenge succeeds, the brothers plan to construct a terminal which could cater for 10 million passengers a year.

This third terminal would compete directly with the DAA's €395m second terminal, which is expected to be open by 2010.

Mr McEvaddy argues that spiralling passenger numbers mean there will be plenty of passengers for the existing terminal, the DAA's second terminal, and the brothers' third terminal. The DAA does not share Mr McEvaddy's passenger forecasts.

It is also understood that if the McEvaddys ever do get permission to use the runway, the DAA will push for them to pay the full economic charge to reflect the historic and ongoing investment in the runway.

Ongoing investment includes some €80m for hangar, apron and other facilities, as well as €150m for the second runway.

Even if the McEvaddys don't succeed in their bid, the Government's aviation action plan provides for a third terminal to be developed by the time Dublin's annual passenger numbers hit 30 million. Aviation sources say this could happen as early as 2015.

http://www.independent.ie/business/iris ... 41919.html

EI321

Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:29 pm

BestWestern wrote:
They shouldn't be allowed to sponge off a state asset.

In Europe, has a private terminal ever worked successfully? Airport, yes - but private terminal in an airport?

I don't think anyone is suggesting they will have free use of the airport runways infrastructure, they are just proposing to build a terminal.

Personally I'm in favour of a third terminal being build on that land, but Im not at all convinced that it should be run by an independent entity. I can't see any reason why it couldn't be built and financed privatly but leased or sold to and run by the DAA, with the DAA profiting from its operation.

In the long run I think its hard to see a solution for the airports development that does not include lands owned by the McEvaddys or others, it lands not currently owned by the DAA, so one way or the other the state will end up paying for it. A third terminal could be build on the site of the existing hangars but that means they would all have to be rebuilt on land that the DAA does not own.

JAmie2k9

Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:53 pm

Great to see everybody getting carried away with T3 which isn't particularly needed for quiet some time. Lots of existing capacity can be gotten out of existing terminals and once the new runway is operational movements can be much more efficient and freeing up some bottle necks.

Growth is slowing and will continue to slow and moderate this year and into 2018. Jan and Feb 2016 had growth of 17.1% and 17.3% compared to 8.9% and 3.8% this year. but hey lets get carried away for a new terminal that no airline will be prepared to pay for through charges even if privately funded.

JAmie2k9

Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:56 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
OA260 wrote:
shamrock350 wrote:

Totally agree but the pc brigade feel it's outrageous to remember our history. It's a decent video.

Joelatbsl

Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:12 pm

Wales National Football team to visit Dublin next week, using a Maleth-Aero B737-300:

http://footballcharters.blogspot.com/20 ... fiers.html

JAmie2k9

Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:33 am

Good to see the new Cork-Zurich service doing well, LX announced the second weekly service will operate full season and not just July and August.

http://www.corkairport.com/news/detail/ ... his-summer

dstc47

Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:54 am

If T2 is in the wrong place, T3 would be even less well located.

Remote from other airport facilities, including all existing public transport, and the proposed Metro airport link (anyone remember that past promise nowadays?) Hard to see how, or who would support it. Of course FR initially favoured it, presumably to play one airport facility off against another most likely as they play KIR against SNN and ORK. A landside inter-terminal bus would be a nightmare journey in periods of heavy traffic and an air side one even worse crossing runways. Not a good location whether privately or publically operated.

Phen

Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:53 am

dstc47 wrote:

Remote from other airport facilities, including all existing public transport, and the proposed Metro airport link (anyone remember that past promise nowadays?) Hard to see how, or who would support it. Of course FR initially favoured it, presumably to play one airport facility off against another most likely as they play KIR against SNN and ORK. A landside inter-terminal bus would be a nightmare journey in periods of heavy traffic and an air side one even worse crossing runways. Not a good location whether privately or publically operated.

I'm just thinking out loud here but to me It looks like the only realistic choice for location of a third terminal would be between the parallel runways. There simply isn't room for another terminal adjacent to existing T1 and T2. Even if the hangars north of the existing terminals were relocated its still a very tight space. Or am I missing something? It would seem the only viable long term option would be a hugely expensive stand alone terminal west of runway 16/34. It would need an underground transfer link to connect into T1/2 (similar to T5 at LHR) but this could terminate close to any future rail links at T1/2 keeping inconvenience to a min. Road access would probably have to be separate off the M50 also like T5 is. It would need underground airside road/service links to go under 16/34 too for airport vehicles, inter-terminal transfers etc.

It would certainly be very very expensive but if it was thought out properly, it could cater for the needs and capacity expansion of the airport for the next few decades unlike T2 which has been too small for a couple of years now and only opened about 5 years ago!

alancostello

Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:07 am

Phen wrote:
dstc47 wrote:

I'm just thinking out loud here but to me It looks like the only realistic choice for location of a third terminal would be between the parallel runways. There simply isn't room for another terminal adjacent to existing T1 and T2. Even if the hangars north of the existing terminals were relocated its still a very tight space. Or am I missing something? It would seem the only viable long term option would be a hugely expensive stand alone terminal west of runway 16/34. It would need an underground transfer link to connect into T1/2 (similar to T5 at LHR) but this could terminate close to any future rail links at T1/2 keeping inconvenience to a min. Road access would probably have to be separate off the M50 also like T5 is. It would need underground airside road/service links to go under 16/34 too for airport vehicles, inter-terminal transfers etc.

It would certainly be very very expensive but if it was thought out properly, it could cater for the needs and capacity expansion of the airport for the next few decades unlike T2 which has been too small for a couple of years now and only opened about 5 years ago!

One of the main benefits to doing it like LHR T5 is that you could have satellite terminals built and operational very quickly, like T5B and T5C, or even further down that tract of land.

EI564

Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:43 am

tonystan wrote:
They have been very successful in developing Irish aviation over the years and have also been trying to break the stranglehold of the state over the airport both during Aer Rianta days and now with the DAA. If they can developer a niche by providing cheaper terminal facilities which pays off for the customers in the long run and do it profitably I'm all for it. Let's face it, the DAA are not the best planners, T2 is in the worst location possible, T1 needs a lot done to it to make it efficient and the runway was needed yesterday.

The State is the Irish people. So i'm not sure why they should be earning plaudits for breaking the stranglehold of the people.

Look. They may turn out to be a good option but I think we have to be very careful with them. They are above all looking to make money. Because we are an island, aviation is vital to our economy and we can't rely on a couple of men (supported by people living on another continent) exerting a huge amount of control on our connectivity with the rest of the world. Terminals are only built every 20 or 30 years, so we should be sure what we are getting ourselves into. We only have to look back at the last decade to see what kind of mess developers can lead us into.

We don't need a terminal right now. But politics is politics and money is money. Who knows what people could end up deciding to do. So we should be careful.

And sure, T2 isn't in the best position but the "worst location possible" is an exaggeration. Given the constraints around the site (e.g. not being able to knock down the original terminal building) and not wanting to build a whole new road network, it is arguably the best of the limited options they had.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos