Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Mortyman
Topic Author

SAS Irish subsidiary to begin flights in November

Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:51 am

SAS Irish subsidiary to begin flights in November

New airline will serve routes between Spain, Britain and Scandinavia using new aircraft

Scandinavian airline SAS expects its Irish subsidiary to begin flying between Spain, Britain and the group’s northern European home market next November. SAS is establishing an Irish-registered airline to fly European routes on its parent’s behalf using nine new Airbus A320 Neo aircraft, priced at $3 billion (€2.82 billion), which the group is purchasing through a leasing company that it has which is also based in the Republic.

SAS will own the Irish airline, which will be a separate entity to its parent but will carry its brand. It will fly the Spanish and British routes on a “wet lease” basis, that is, providing the aircraft and crew.

The Irish subsidiary is applying for an Irish Air Operator’s certificate – an airline licence – that will entitle it to fly anywhere in the European Union.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/tran ... -1.2992398

Unsure if it's this November or next year ? The Irish Times says next November, while Norwegian media says this November ...

keitherson

Re: SAS Irish subsidiary to begin flights in November

Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:55 am

What exactly does a SAS brand run in/by Ireland and not connected to its long-haul network to provide feed.. even do? Why even bother with the SAS brand at all? This is like, Alitalia starting flights in Africa because... why not? Well, at least if Alitalia did that they would be profitable. :stirthepot:

Pe@rson

Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:28 am

Presumably meaningfully lower labour costs for new staff on new contracts.

Andy33

Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:59 am

keitherson wrote:
What exactly does a SAS brand run in/by Ireland and not connected to its long-haul network to provide feed.. even do? Why even bother with the SAS brand at all? This is like, Alitalia starting flights in Africa because... why not? Well, at least if Alitalia did that they would be profitable. :stirthepot:

Except that the first post says:
flying between Spain, Britain and the group’s northern European home market

so they are able to connect to the long haul network which happens to be centred on that northern European home market.

Secondly, SAS is an old established and respected brand in Europe. They already have lots of routes to Spain, Britain (and for that matter Ireland) It isn't as if nobody has ever heard of them in those countries. Alitalia in Africa? Alitalia has abandoned most of its African routes (it has had plenty in the past) apart from those to countries with a Mediterranean coastline.

hispanola

Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:03 am

I'm surprised they're planning on using their own brand. Up until now I had expected them to establish something similar to what they did with Spanair.

Someone83

Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:09 am

hispanola wrote:
I'm surprised they're planning on using their own brand. Up until now I had expected them to establish something similar to what they did with Spanair.

We're not talking new routes here, just that these will be flying some of their existing routes, like some of their 19 daily flights LHR-Scandinavia

B747forever

Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:23 am

Someone83 wrote:
hispanola wrote:

We're not talking new routes here, just that these will be flying some of their existing routes, like some of their 19 daily flights LHR-Scandinavia

I guess one change will be that the crew wont be speaking any of the Scandinavian languages.

oldannyboy

Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:44 am

I love how SAS are going Norwegian. There's nothing better than hiring cheap staff with fewer rights in order not to compromise those of those blessed Scandinavian employees. Next thing we'll know is SK is hiring Thai flight attendants for their long-haul network! Actually, they'd be much better than those oh-so-senior-and-sour FAs flying some of those routes.

Having lived in Sweden, I think lots of people underestimate how expensive and yet underperforming/unproductive Scandinavian labor is... and accordingly how underwhelming SAS can sometimes be. I really have to wonder where all the hype about Scandinavian quality and the "SAS brand" comes from... And, honestly, I have lived there, I love the Country, love the language, love the food, and drive a VOLVO...but...... but but but...

VSMUT

Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:04 pm

The irony of all this is of course that this cost saving measure will hit the newly-hired crew / low-timers in SAS primarily, and they already receive ridiculously low wages by European standards. The real drain is all the employees on the old contracts with massive pensions, and they won't suffer the slightest. IMHO, this won't change anything for SAS, as the "800 lb gorilla is still in the room".

bluefltspecial

Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:50 am

oldannyboy wrote:
I love how SAS are going Norwegian. There's nothing better than hiring cheap staff with fewer rights in order not to compromise those of those blessed Scandinavian employees. Next thing we'll know is SK is hiring Thai flight attendants for their long-haul network! Actually, they'd be much better than those oh-so-senior-and-sour FAs flying some of those routes.

Having lived in Sweden, I think lots of people underestimate how expensive and yet underperforming/unproductive Scandinavian labor is... and accordingly how underwhelming SAS can sometimes be. I really have to wonder where all the hype about Scandinavian quality and the "SAS brand" comes from... And, honestly, I have lived there, I love the Country, love the language, love the food, and drive a VOLVO...but...... but but but...

Ummm.... you are aware SAS already has outsourced labor for a while now right? They have a HKG base with local employment to HK. Nothing new here.

Mortyman
Topic Author

Fri May 05, 2017 3:06 pm

SAS has founded Scandinavian Airlines Ireland Limited

SAS is now in full swing with Ireland's establishment, with an Irish airline based in Spain and London.

On April 3, SAS's CEO Rickard Gustafson personally signed the founding documents for Scandinavian Airlines Ireland Limited

The employees fear that SAS will do as low cost airlines Norwegian and Ryanair, and on a large scale hire pilots and cabin crews from crew companies.

Now, Mikael Wångdahl, the chief of Scandinavian Airlines Ireland, confirms that Scandinavian Airlines Ireland Limited will hire pilots and cabin crew members from initially a crew company.

- How many will you rent?

"It depends on how time tables look, but between 270 and 300 flying personnel," says Mikael Wångdahl

Wångdahl says that no application for Irish flight permit has not yet been submitted.

"But we will do it within the next few weeks," he says.

Thus, the company may seem to keep the timetable, which is in the process of flying by November.

According to the Irish Times, you will use nine brand new Airbus A320neo aircraft, something Wångdahl confirms.

SAS has chosen Ireland because of a favorable regulatory regime for airlines, which both Norwegian and Ryanair already make use of.

The American Cabinet Association AFA's leader Sara Nelson is among those who fear the use of Ireland in a "convenience flagship model" where the headquarters are added to a country only because of favorable conditions.

http://www.dagbladet.no/nyheter/sas-sti ... 0/67544199

JetBuddy

Fri May 05, 2017 3:54 pm

SAS has no choice but to adapt to the market. I don't like this development, but it's inevitable when the main competitor is Norwegian.

downtown273

Fri May 05, 2017 9:25 pm

I can understand how a LHR crew base could work. Their crews could do something like LHR-CPH-CDG-CPH-LHR or up to 5 sectors in rotations like LHR-ARN-AMS-ARN-CPH-LHR. I suppose that makes sense.

But SAS doesn't have enough frequencies in any Spanish airport as to be able to do same-day rotations. SAS's highest frequency airports in Spain are AGP and LPA IIRC - how would those crew bases work? LPA-CPH-LPA would already be close to the maximum that a crew would be able to operate on the same day. Unless they're planning on rotating them through the network for a few days (+ hotel expenses) and then head back to Spain?

NozPerry

Fri May 05, 2017 10:06 pm

downtown273 wrote:
I can understand how a LHR crew base could work. Their crews could do something like LHR-CPH-CDG-CPH-LHR or up to 5 sectors in rotations like LHR-ARN-AMS-ARN-CPH-LHR. I suppose that makes sense.

But SAS doesn't have enough frequencies in any Spanish airport as to be able to do same-day rotations. SAS's highest frequency airports in Spain are AGP and LPA IIRC - how would those crew bases work? LPA-CPH-LPA would already be close to the maximum that a crew would be able to operate on the same day. Unless they're planning on rotating them through the network for a few days (+ hotel expenses) and then head back to Spain?

5 sectors is a bit excessive, especially in terms of fatigue and FTL; it would need an extension and I can't see the crew being happy with that.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos