Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

msyflyer

Re: The MSY Thread - 2017

Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:23 pm

I'm not surprised to see WN going after DL/UA, but I am surprised they are starting it before the new terminal because the sterile corridor isn't on terminal B. I assume they aren't planning on having connections for that flight? That is why, jbs2886, I was shocked to hear that announcement.

Side note: I would love to see WN add SJU instead of CUN, but that's just my personal opinion.

msyflyer

Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:32 pm

Fun fact about the CUN flight that I've noticed. They actually are setting it up for connections. A quick search from HOUCUN/BNACUN/etc has the MSY flight arriving earlier than any of the others (including the nonstop). That could work out really well for those wanting to be in CUN earlier in the day!

jbs2886

Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:38 pm

msyflyer wrote:
Fun fact about the CUN flight that I've noticed. They actually are setting it up for connections. A quick search from HOUCUN/BNACUN/etc has the MSY flight arriving earlier than any of the others (including the nonstop). That could work out really well for those wanting to be in CUN earlier in the day!

Its because it leaves so early that it is not set up for connections. The flight leaves at 8:05am, I don't think there are any flights other than from HOU and DAL that would arrive in time for a connection (especially if it requires a terminal change). I also doubt most passengers want to leave 2-3 hours earlier (before 6am) and connect through MSY to get to CUN 2 hours earlier.

msycajun

Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:50 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
msyflyer wrote:

Its because it leaves so early that it is not set up for connections. The flight leaves at 8:05am, I don't think there are any flights other than from HOU and DAL that would arrive in time for a connection (especially if it requires a terminal change). I also doubt most passengers want to leave 2-3 hours earlier (before 6am) and connect through MSY to get to CUN 2 hours earlier.

Yeah...there's really no point in getting to CUN early because pretty much everyone is going to want to check in to their hotel before doing anything else. The return flight, however, is very good for connections and it looks like some of them are pretty competitive.

LAX772LR

Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:05 pm

msyflyer wrote:
I'm not surprised to see WN going after DL/UA, but I am surprised they are starting it before the new terminal because the sterile corridor isn't on terminal B. I assume they aren't planning on having connections for that flight? That is why, jbs2886, I was shocked to hear that announcement.

1) WN doesn't care, even in major markets like LAX, they arrive at FIS in one terminal and then tow back to their own area. They do it in smaller ones too.

2) All arriving int'l pax must be rescreened by full TSA security before being allowed to connect. So what difference does it really make if FIS were in B or not? Still gotta go through security again anyway.

LightningZ71

Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:23 pm

And, it's not like they have to tow it very far. Three of their gates are literally on a parallel concourse directly across from two of the FIS capable gates that are typically used for narrowbodies.

Did Spirit swap gates to one of the last gates on B (Maybe GLO's old gate)? I've seen Spirit parked on a high numbered B gate all day. And I guess the United Express jets parked by A are there because of the problems at IAH?

NolaMD88fan

Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:09 am

NK is still flying out of C2 and C4. IAH is still closed, so the plane may just be sitting it out here until the airport reopens. The UAX planes also related to the IAH closure.

The WN adds are great to see, and it's nice to be considered a WN international station now. I'm not worried about less than daily service. If these routes perform well, then WN can easily increase service over time for any of these weekend only flights. Towing from C to B won't be an issue for WN, and as stated earlier all pax must clear customs, and then go back through TSA screening before boarding a domestic flight.

DJSNOLA

Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:27 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
NK is still flying out of C2 and C4. IAH is still closed, so the plane may just be sitting it out here until the airport reopens. The UAX planes also related to the IAH closure.

The WN adds are great to see, and it's nice to be considered a WN international station now. I'm not worried about less than daily service. If these routes perform well, then WN can easily increase service over time for any of these weekend only flights. Towing from C to B won't be an issue for WN, and as stated earlier all pax must clear customs, and then go back through TSA screening before boarding a domestic flight.

sorry for my daily obsession is purely out of selfish convenience lol... i would love to see the CUN route do well.. perhaps even Spirit will go international from here? the issues in Houston could be good for our airport long-term as a smaller back up

msyflyer

Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:35 pm

While I'm happy to see WN launching INTL, I really just want a new destination that isn't already served by another airline. Personally, I would love to see SJU or SJD.

LAX772LR

Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:47 pm

msyflyer wrote:
Personally, I would love to see SJU or SJD.

Wouldn't hold my breath for either.

SJU is in an unprecedented economic crisis right now, and there's (comparatively) hardly any Puerto Rican diaspora in Louisiana... meaning that such a flight (which passes right over their FLL gateway) would have to rely almost solely on NOLA origin, and not economic ties nor VFR. Probably not a proposition that any airline wants to take, at this point.

SJD only has yearround scheduled service to three destinations east of the Mississippi: ATL, CLT, and JFK.
Doubt anyone's going to bother with a medium-sized market, when easy cnnx are available via DFW/IAH/HOU/PHX/SAN/LAX/etc.

Midwestindy

Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:26 pm

msyflyer wrote:
While I'm happy to see WN launching INTL, I really just want a new destination that isn't already served by another airline. Personally, I would love to see SJU or SJD.

For SJU, G4 could possibly add that

msycajun

Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:27 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
msyflyer wrote:

SJU is in an unprecedented economic crisis right now, and there's (comparatively) hardly any Puerto Rican diaspora in Louisiana... meaning that such a flight (which passes right over their FLL gateway) would have to rely almost solely on NOLA origin, and not economic ties nor VFR. Probably not a proposition that any airline wants to take, at this point.

SJD only has yearround scheduled service to three destinations east of the Mississippi: ATL, CLT, and JFK.
Doubt anyone's going to bother with a medium-sized market, when easy cnnx are available via DFW/IAH/HOU/PHX/SAN/LAX/etc.

I've been hoping for SJU myself - have some friends there. We do get quite a number of students from PR at Tulane and Loyola FWIW. If G4 can make CVG, PIT, and RDU work from there, I think there is hope. No one seems to have numbers on O&D but it would be interesting to see.

I agree about SJD. I think MBJ, NAS, or PUJ would make more sense. WN should have no problem with those on a weekly basis, especially with the connections available. If they don't, I wouldn't be surprised to see NK and maybe even G4 flying internationally in the not-too-distant future.

DJSNOLA

Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:36 pm

msycajun wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
msyflyer wrote:

I've been hoping for SJU myself - have some friends there. We do get quite a number of students from PR at Tulane and Loyola FWIW. If G4 can make CVG, PIT, and RDU work from there, I think there is hope. No one seems to have numbers on O&D but it would be interesting to see.

I agree about SJD. I think MBJ, NAS, or PUJ would make more sense. WN should have no problem with those on a weekly basis, especially with the connections available. If they don't, I wouldn't be surprised to see NK and maybe even G4 flying internationally in the not-too-distant future.

A direct flight from Nola to Cabo with a stopover in Mexico City might make a lot of sense

LAX772LR

Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:40 pm

DJSNOLA wrote:
A direct flight from Nola to Cabo with a stopover in Mexico City might make a lot of sense

Not by geography it certainly wouldn't.

SJD-MEX-MSY versus SJD-IAH-MSY:

DJSNOLA

Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:52 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:

Not by geography it certainly wouldn't.

SJD-MEX-MSY versus SJD-IAH-MSY:

gues puerto vallarta/ mexico city or cancun/ san jose costa rica makes better sense then

NolaMD88fan

Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:44 am

June statistics have been published. Really strong growth in June with numbers up 11.1% to 1,056,030. Year to date numbers are up 5.6% to 5,977,250 passengers. The airport remained ranked 36th busiest in the nation between OAK and SJC through the first half of the year.

CM had a drop in traffic in June, but I believe they mainly flew the E190 this year rather than the 737 like last Summer.
DE had a better month in June with a load factor of 78.6%. Outbound MSY-FRA was 84% full, and inbound FRA-MSY was 73% full.
BA was 88% full outbound MSY-LHR, and 73% full inbound LHR-MSY. Interesting that both flights were much stronger on the outbound leg.

Airport..........Month...........YTD
OAK..........1,218,265.....6,188,352
MSY..........1,056,030.....5,977,250
SJC...........1,124,789.....5,723,861

http://www.flymsy.com/Files/Press/June2 ... istics.pdf
http://www.oaklandairport.com/wp-conten ... -Jun17.pdf
http://www.flysanjose.com/sites/default ... ne17FY.pdf

LAX772LR

Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:03 am

NolaMD88fan wrote:
DE had a better month in June with a load factor of 78.6%. Outbound MSY-FRA was 84% full, and inbound FRA-MSY was 73% full.
BA was 88% full outbound MSY-LHR, and 73% full inbound LHR-MSY. Interesting that both flights were much stronger on the outbound leg.

Interesting how both of those flights have so thoroughly defied AvGeek convention.

So many assumed that J would struggle, Y would oversell, and the flights would be primarily dependent on Euro-side point of sale.

And yet, the exact OPPOSITE has occurred for all three categories, at both airlines. Nice. :)

SunsetLimited

Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:48 am

New Orleans is a tough sell during summer. Not surprised that outbound was stronger in June for BA and DE.

DJSNOLA

Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:38 pm

glad to see the airport fixed some of their power issues. last night when i landed lots of kenner was without power but not the airport itself. Thankfully they seemed to have fixed those feeder issues

DJSNOLA

Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:32 pm

Whats everyones opinion about Pittsburg offering airside-access for non ticketed passengers starting yesterday? First airport to reintroduce this since 9/11. Is this something we think New Orleans should do? especially at the new terminal? I can see the pros and cons, but personally can see this taking off especially for those with young children traveling alone and potential business meetings.

http://www.futuretravelexperience.com/2017/08/pittsburgh-international-airport-to-re-introduce-public-airside-access/

msycajun

Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:56 pm

DJSNOLA wrote:
Whats everyones opinion about Pittsburg offering airside-access for non ticketed passengers starting yesterday? First airport to reintroduce this since 9/11. Is this something we think New Orleans should do? especially at the new terminal? I can see the pros and cons, but personally can see this taking off especially for those with young children traveling alone and potential business meetings.

http://www.futuretravelexperience.com/2017/08/pittsburgh-international-airport-to-re-introduce-public-airside-access/

Seems like PIT is doing it mostly to support the Airmall. While the new terminal will be much better in terms of amenities, that will mostly be food, not destination retail, so it would probably make less sense here except for maybe parents dropping off/picking up children. However at the rate passenger numbers are growing, the security area will probably be busier than originally planned, making it harder to implement something like this.

Jshank83

Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:04 pm

msycajun wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:

Seems like PIT is doing it mostly to support the Airmall. While the new terminal will be much better in terms of amenities, that will mostly be food, not destination retail, so it would probably make less sense here except for maybe parents dropping off/picking up children. However at the rate passenger numbers are growing, the security area will probably be busier than originally planned, making it harder to implement something like this.

I have heard other airport directors at busier airports say they are not really considering it because of this reason. They don't want to backup security. That said, it would be nice if they could handle the extra people. If it is an airport with banks they could just set certain times when people can come through that would be slow times.

DJSNOLA

Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:06 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
msycajun wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:

I have heard other airport directors at busier airports say they are not really considering it because of this reason. They don't want to backup security. That said, it would be nice if they could handle the extra people. If it is an airport with banks they could just set certain times when people can come through that would be slow times.

it would seem to me that airports could just increase the screening capabilities. I was flying by myself at like 6-7 years old and that was made much easier by the fact my dad could see me off and then my uncle could be there at the gate waiting. Those arent really possibilities these days and thats a shame.

Jshank83

Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:12 pm

DJSNOLA wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
msycajun wrote:

it would seem to me that airports could just increase the screening capabilities. I was flying by myself at like 6-7 years old and that was made much easier by the fact my dad could see me off and then my uncle could be there at the gate waiting. Those arent really possibilities these days and thats a shame.

That costs more money though. Who footing the bill just so extra people can walk to gates?

I'm pretty sure unaccompanied minors still get a person with them at the gate already.

DJSNOLA

Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:17 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

That costs more money though. Who footing the bill just so extra people can walk to gates?

I'm pretty sure unaccompanied minors still get a person with them at the gate already.

do they ? i dont know how the process works? it was just alot easier for us back then i guess. I feel like i always see signs saying welcome home or whatever and this is outside security so I dont think its exactly the same. Obviously, it will never be exactly like before where you could just walk to a gate, however, the pittsburg process seems like a fair setup.

I would think the assumption is that the airport would profit off the added traffic because of added concessions revenue. If someone is going to go to the airport and isnt flying its likely to wait with someone which could include food concessions during the wait?

Jshank83

Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:21 pm

DJSNOLA wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:

do they ? i dont know how the process works? it was just alot easier for us back then i guess. I would think the assumption is that the airport would profit off the added traffic because of added concessions revenue. If someone is going to go to the airport and isnt flying its likely to wait with someone which could include food concessions during the wait?

It just depends if the extra workers/equipment being used is being offset by increased revenue. I have not clue if it would or not. I don't know if you are just dropping someone off or picking someone up if you would spend much money there. Maybe more on parking though.

DJSNOLA

Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:23 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

do they ? i dont know how the process works? it was just alot easier for us back then i guess. I would think the assumption is that the airport would profit off the added traffic because of added concessions revenue. If someone is going to go to the airport and isnt flying its likely to wait with someone which could include food concessions during the wait?

It just depends if the extra workers/equipment being used is being offset by increased revenue. I have not clue if it would or not. I don't know if you are just dropping someone off or picking someone up if you would spend much money there. Maybe more on parking though.

well all airports will get a good trial run with pittsburg doing this.. that will take some of the guess work out of it

NolaMD88fan

Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:58 am

I think the idea of allowing non-ticketed pax past security is a no go for most airports including MSY. The new terminal is designed specifically for ticketed pax.

DJSNOLA

Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:47 pm

Some Pictures I took yesterday by airport:

NolaMD88fan

Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:56 am

September air service update was posted. GLO is officially off the update along with the routes they flew. No surprise there since the remaining assets are being liquidated.

September is typically a very slow month, and that is evident in the drop in seats and daily departures from July and August. Overall, 141 daily departures and 19,789 departing seats on average for the month. http://www.flymsy.com/Images/Interior/a ... update.pdf

DJSNOLA

Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:45 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
September air service update was posted. GLO is officially off the update along with the routes they flew. No surprise there since the remaining assets are being liquidated.

September is typically a very slow month, and that is evident in the drop in seats and daily departures from July and August. Overall, 141 daily departures and 19,789 departing seats on average for the month. http://www.flymsy.com/Images/Interior/a ... update.pdf

Hows September posted already?

DJSNOLA

Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:55 pm

LAX772LR

Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:30 am

DJSNOLA wrote:

...actually clicking on it, might clear up the confusion. ;)

DJSNOLA

Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:47 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:

so its an air service update published in September not actually september air service update

msycajun

Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:52 pm

DJSNOLA wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:

so its an air service update published in September not actually september air service update

Air Service in that it is showing the number of scheduled seats according to the carriers. Doesn't account for cancellations and doesn't show how many people actually fly.

jbs2886

Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:10 pm

msycajun wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

Air Service in that it is showing the number of scheduled seats according to the carriers. Doesn't account for cancellations and doesn't show how many people actually fly.

It is the September Air Service Update. There aren't any words to parse. You must be thinking about September Air Traffic Statistics.

Edit: I really wish they would update the Alaska logo/typeface.

DJSNOLA

Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:18 pm

msycajun wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

ok that makes sense .

msyflyer

Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:46 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
msycajun wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:

It is the September Air Service Update. There aren't any words to parse. You must be thinking about September Air Traffic Statistics.

I agree. If you look on the nonstop list, the SFO nonstop has Alaska logo and not Virgin. I'll be curious to see which plane arrives in 2 weeks.

DJSNOLA

Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:58 pm

msyflyer wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
msycajun wrote:

I agree. If you look on the nonstop list, the SFO nonstop has Alaska logo and not Virgin. I'll be curious to see which plane arrives in 2 weeks.

Does it really matter what they show since its really technically Alaska either way?

jbs2886

Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:13 pm

DJSNOLA wrote:
msyflyer wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:

Does it really matter what they show since its really technically Alaska either way?

Actually, its technically not Alaska. If Virgin operates it, it will be on a Virgin plane that is operating under a Virgin certificate. Once the certificates are merged, it will be Alaska. Alaska has been pretty unclear which airline is actually operating MSY-SFO, I tend to think it will be Virgin, but it may be Alaska - I guess we will see.

DJSNOLA

Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:55 am

jbs2886 wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:
msyflyer wrote:

Actually, its technically not Alaska. If Virgin operates it, it will be on a Virgin plane that is operating under a Virgin certificate. Once the certificates are merged, it will be Alaska. Alaska has been pretty unclear which airline is actually operating MSY-SFO, I tend to think it will be Virgin, but it may be Alaska - I guess we will see.

the press release said virgin will be operating it.. it shows it on their destinations page

https://www.virginamerica.com/cms/airport-destinations

DJSNOLA

Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:04 pm

Pics of new terminal from today

msycajun

Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:30 pm

In the latest F9 schedule extension looks like AUS, SAT, MCO, PHL schedules are basically the same. PVD is cut and DEN and ISP go to 3 weekly. Not a surprise with PVD, since NK is adding daily BOS service, but it's hard to imagine them running DEN only 3 weekly. In May of this year DEN was the highest load factor route for F9, WN, and UA, averaging about 93%. If that is indeed the case, I would expect to see NK on the route in the spring.

SunsetLimited

Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:42 pm

PVD was always meant to be seasonal.
DEN is being upgauged to A321 for the summer.

Speaking of NK, they are rumored to be adding three additional nonstop markets (in addition to the four recently announced) for a March or April start.

msyflyer

Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:28 pm

SunsetLimited wrote:

Speaking of NK, they are rumored to be adding three additional nonstop markets (in addition to the four recently announced) for a March or April start.

How many nonstop cities would that give NK from MSY? 10ish?

btw, can someone explain to me how to attach an image to a post?
Last edited by msyflyer on Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

msycajun

Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:30 pm

msyflyer wrote:
SunsetLimited wrote:

They're at 14 this fall - 17 with three new cities.

DJSNOLA

Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:49 pm

msycajun wrote:
msyflyer wrote:
SunsetLimited wrote:

They're at 14 this fall - 17 with three new cities.

I still havent flown spirit yet.. anyone else have?

DJSNOLA

Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:23 am

NolaMD88fan

Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:41 am

NK is fine as long as you go in fully knowing what you will be charged for, and that the seat pitch is not going to be comfortable. For a longer flight, I'd try to move up to the Big Front Seat.

DJSNOLA

Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:42 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
NK is fine as long as you go in fully knowing what you will be charged for, and that the seat pitch is not going to be comfortable. For a longer flight, I'd try to move up to the Big Front Seat.

thats what i was curious about.. the big front seat... are those decent compared to say southwest or is it better?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos