behramjee
Topic Author

Kuwait Airways announces major expansion in S17

Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:01 pm

Link: http://airline-news.blogspot.com/2017/0 ... nsion.html

and https://www.facebook.com/KuwaitAirways/ ... =3&theater

Kuwait Airways has officially announced its bigger ever network expansion as the carrier looks to regain market share away from its competitors especially on key point to point routes. For the IATA S17 season, the main highlights are as follows:

DAC - frequencies increased from daily to 12 weekly effective July using a B77W exclusively

CMB - frequencies increased from daily to 10 weekly nonstop flights using an A332

MAA - frequencies increased from 4 to 5 weekly nonstop flights using an A332

JFK - frequencies increased from 6 weekly to daily flights using a B77W

DEL - frequencies increased from 12 weekly to double daily

LHR - capacity increased with all ten weekly flights exclusively operated by the B77W

FRA - capacity increased from 4 weekly A332s to 4 weekly B77Ws

FCO - frequencies increased from 3 to 4 weekly nonstop flights using an A320

IST - frequencies increased from 9 to 12 weekly nonstop flights i.e. 2 weekly A332s + 10 weekly A320s

AMM - frequencies increased from 13 weekly to double daily

BEY - frequencies increased from daily to 12 weekly

IKA - frequencies increased from 4 to 5 weekly flights

MHD - frequencies increased from 2 to 3 weekly

NJF - frequencies increased from 2 to 3 weekly

BAH - frequencies increased from 8 weekly to double daily

DXB - frequencies increased from 18 to 25 weekly

LHE - frequencies increased from 3 to 4 weekly

KHI - new 4 weekly nonstop flights to be launched with an A320

COK - capacity adjusted to daily A332 + 3 weekly A320s

MNL - capacity increased effective AUG from daily B772 to daily B77W

BKK - capacity increased from daily A332 to daily

In total, KU will be operating an additional 36 flights per week in S17 season versus W16.

The fleet by August 2017 will comprise of 10 B77Ws + 5 A332s + 10 A320s with all the wide body aircraft having flat beds in J and F class along with wifi access in every seat. Seven out of the ten A320s have wifi installed too.

The configuration of KU's wide body fleet is as follows:

B77W (777-300ER) - 334 seats i.e. 8F/36J/290Y

A332 (330-200) - 212 seats i.e. 17F/30J/165Y

User001

Re: Kuwait Airways announces major expansion in S17

Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:05 pm

They have reported to local media that Madrid, Malaga, Manchester and Zurich will also be launched this year.

rufusmi

Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:28 pm

Any idea if they plan to go nonstop to JFK on the west bound route? They currently stop in SNN, which I think was needed with the 77E but it isn't with the 77W.

TheGeordielad

Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:18 pm

rufusmi wrote:
Any idea if they plan to go nonstop to JFK on the west bound route? They currently stop in SNN, which I think was needed with the 77E but it isn't with the 77W.

It would make sense unless there happens to be a market between Shannon and Kuwait but that's unlikely anyway looks like these next couple of years is going to be great for Kuwait.If Manchester is launched what aircraft is going to be used.

rutankrd

Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:46 pm

TheGeordielad wrote:
rufusmi wrote:

It would make sense unless there happens to be a market between Shannon and Kuwait but that's unlikely anyway looks like these next couple of years is going to be great for Kuwait.If Manchester is launched what aircraft is going to be used.

Due to the refusal to accept Israeli passport holders Kuwait have effectively lost their 5th freedom rights between the EU and US. Shannon is simply a tech stop at the moment.

We rather wait the decision on Manchester at the moment - If it comes almost certainly an A330 however there is a quiet trend building of cancelation/delay and withdrawals going on in the UK market that may be as a result of that referendum result and subsequent loss in value of the pound.

We need to watch carefully because the signs for Q4 indicate a significant slowdown imho.

UltimoTiger777

Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:49 pm

What happened to the 747 they took from the Kuwaiti government?

TheGeordielad

Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:22 pm

rutankrd wrote:
TheGeordielad wrote:
rufusmi wrote:

Due to the refusal to accept Israeli passport holders Kuwait have effectively lost their 5th freedom rights between the EU and US. Shannon is simply a tech stop at the moment.

We rather wait the decision on Manchester at the moment - If it comes almost certainly an A330 however there is a quiet trend building of cancelation/delay and withdrawals going on in the UK market that may be as a result of that referendum result and subsequent loss in value of the pound.

We need to watch carefully because the signs for Q4 indicate a significant slowdown imho.

Thanks you for letting me know.

psimpson

Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:24 pm

rufusmi wrote:

As of 26th March, Kuwait will resume KWI-JFK-KWI with daily B77W. The stop in Shannon is a temporary measure due to the US having security concerns.

Monty1988

Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:05 am

rutankrd wrote:
TheGeordielad wrote:
rufusmi wrote:

That is not correct, Kuwait Airways chairwoman announced its stopping all Transit 5th freedom flights long before any Israeli complains, Even ones between Muslim countries as non of generated profits and that it's aircrafts shouldn't stay overnight abroad, US authorities never ever stopped KAC or or forced it to carry Israeli passengers despite what you've seen or heard in the media, KAC will drop Shannon maybe next June or July and will continue to fly direct to JFK, Madrid + Los Angeles + Manchester Are coming and seasonal Malaga.

LAX772LR

Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:51 am

rufusmi wrote:

KWI-JFK is easily within range of a 77E, even taking into account temps.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

The777Man

Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:50 am

Monty1988 wrote:
rutankrd wrote:
TheGeordielad wrote:

That is not correct, Kuwait Airways chairwoman announced its stopping all Transit 5th freedom flights long before any Israeli complains, Even ones between Muslim countries as non of generated profits and that it's aircrafts shouldn't stay overnight abroad, US authorities never ever stopped KAC or or forced it to carry Israeli passengers despite what you've seen or heard in the media, KAC will drop Shannon maybe next June or July and will continue to fly direct to JFK, Madrid + Los Angeles + Manchester Are coming and seasonal Malaga.

You say there are also planning "Madrid+Los Angeles+Manchester" ? This summer ?

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

Spiderguy252

Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:25 am

LAX772LR wrote:
rufusmi wrote:

KWI-JFK is easily within range of a 77E, even taking into account temps.

Indeed. KU have flown the route non-stop with both the 343 and 77E on both the West and East bound in the past.

Their problem in the coming years will be KWI - it simply hasn't grown enough to accommodate the growth that is forecast, and the terminal is packed to the gills during several times of the day.
Vahroone

N717TW

Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:08 am

Have they discontinued their intra-europe tags? I flew them 3 1/2 yeas ago from Rome to Paris on an A300. They were matching EasyJet's fare but offered free baggage and a full (old-school) meal service. The whole thing was a total throw back to old TWA intra-europe flights (except for the lack of booze and the muslim prayer).

oldannyboy

Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:58 pm

N717TW wrote:
Have they discontinued their intra-europe tags? I flew them 3 1/2 yeas ago from Rome to Paris on an A300. They were matching EasyJet's fare but offered free baggage and a full (old-school) meal service. The whole thing was a total throw back to old TWA intra-europe flights (except for the lack of booze and the muslim prayer).

Yep, that was one amazing time-capsule flight. Excellent onboard service (warm meals) + widebody intra-Europe + low fares (even in J and F!) + flying the A300. Amazing stuff! With the new timetable it's all gone direct on the booooring A320... pity!

drdisque

Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:48 pm

Is this mostly them deciding that with prices the way they are, it's more cost effective to lease new 77W's than to refurbish their ratty old 772's? I can't imagine many of these routes actually NEED a 77W.

Monty1988

Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:11 pm

The777Man wrote:
Monty1988 wrote:
rutankrd wrote:

You say there are also planning "Madrid+Los Angeles+Manchester" ? This summer ?

The777Man

As far as i know many things canged at the last moment at KAC examples! The decision to extend A340's and 777-200's stay in the fleet to August 2017 instead of March, 3 Older A320's are staying with KAC for atleast a year! Instead of March retirement, New Destinations will be announced after new 777 fleet delivery completion next August, Malaga to start in 2018 from June to October, KAC revenue is up and we might see profits in the very near future.

behramjee
Topic Author

Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:57 pm

latest:

BOM-KWI increased to double daily effective 10MAY i.e. daily B77W + daily A320

User001

Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:25 pm

Manchester and Madrid still in the 2017 plan apparently.

Monty1988

Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:57 am

User001 wrote:
Manchester and Madrid still in the 2017 plan apparently.
yes! And maybe Sarajevo

eta unknown

Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:01 am

drdisque wrote:
I can't imagine many of these routes actually NEED a 77W.

Actually these routes can support a 77W. What KU are finally doing now is clawing back the home market traffic they've lost over the years to EK/EY/QR.

BA174

Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:17 am

Has 9K-ADE been withdrawn from the fleet as I notice it doesn't seem to have been utilised for a fair while? I suppose a sole old 744 will be a bit of an oddball when the 77Ws arrive.

globalcabotage

Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:01 am

What about a return to ORD (not likely), or IAD/LAX?

I'm sure BOS/DTW/MIA are on the radar.

jukechris

Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:30 am

What about Malaga?

User001

Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:24 pm

Monty,

Do we know when Manchester will happen? Keep hearing September but cannot get any concrete info, I can't see it being Sept personally, be interesting to see the news articles that have stated Manchester, Malaga and Madrid will start.

adamh8297

Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:29 pm

globalcabotage wrote:
What about a return to ORD (not likely), or IAD/LAX?

I'm sure BOS/DTW/MIA are on the radar.

:rotfl: Easily double daily for both BOS or MIA or in reality probably not in the cards at all.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AM, BA, B6, CO, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WN

Monty1988

Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:15 pm

BA174 wrote:
Has 9K-ADE been withdrawn from the fleet as I notice it doesn't seem to have been utilised for a fair while? I suppose a sole old 744 will be a bit of an oddball when the 77Ws arrive.
Still acive but due to retire next August along with 2 777's and 4 A340's

Monty1988

Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:30 pm

User001 wrote:
Monty,

Do we know when Manchester will happen? Keep hearing September but cannot get any concrete info, I can't see it being Sept personally, be interesting to see the news articles that have stated Manchester, Malaga and Madrid will start.

Someone in KAC told me with 777-300ER fleet arrival completion new destinations will be announced, So i expect later this year he also confirmed adding 2nd destination both n UK and in USA i expect Manchester and Los Angeles.

User001

Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:38 pm

Thanks Monty.

Do we have any links to the press releases to which a few were saying we're local press reports staring the addition of these new routes?

airway1

Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:15 am

I doubt LA. Washington makes sense I remember United started off to Kuwait with a bang then they added a Dubai daily which was cheaper then Kuwait and everyone just hoped to flydubai to catch that flight. Maybe back to Chicago.

There was an article in the local news NYC 2016 pax up 20%. I expect with the new planes we should get a huge boast.

BA, Qatar, Etihad and Emirates will be impacted by this. Hopefully next summer will fly KU to NYC instead of Ba :)

The impact of London numbers in Jan was great thx to the new planes.

COKMCI

Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:33 am

airway1 wrote:

BA, Qatar, Etihad and Emirates will be impacted by this.

missing Air India in the list. Hoping for KU to return to ORD; Hopefully when they get the A350s.

peterinlisbon

Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:48 am

Does this mean that Kuwait Airways will improve their service? I've seen the reviews and they seem pretty awful, but perhaps that's partly due to having very old aircraft. I might fly with them from India to Istanbul next month.

Ammad

Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:23 am

Good to see reinstatement of service from Karachi. Wondering when was the last time Kuwait Airways flew to KHI?

airway1

Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:03 pm

Karachi was last flown in April 2004. If we look at all the cities KU had to stop for lack of planes we could have a huge growth for the airline. Malaga, Nice and Casablanca were summer routes with Amsterdam, Chicago routes that could come back. Plus new cities from Tokyo to Madrid. The major issue is the airport. It just keeps getting worse and worse. The new extension might help but watanyia airlines will be back in June.

sassiciai

Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:42 pm

Kuwait Airways is alcohol-free, and that believe it or not, has a big impact on its ability ( or willingness) to compete with the ME3

I had only one Kuwait Airways flight, and that was back in the 197s, from Cairo to Kuwait City. The flight itself was not all that long, but the fun we all had at the bar in Cairo airport was so revealing.

There was a pressure 4-deep at the bar, customers shouting out multi-orders and waving cash to get served quickly. I Never saw so many guys in Arabic "uniform" drink so much in so little time!

I experienced many other similar situations on a short trip to Kuwait!

So I'm happy that the ME3 accept the world reality and serve alcohol on-board, rather than Kuwait (and Saudi, I suppose) who continue to pretend that their home customers don't like a drink when they fly!

The777Man

Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:17 pm

airway1 wrote:
I doubt LA. Washington makes sense I remember United started off to Kuwait with a bang then they added a Dubai daily which was cheaper then Kuwait and everyone just hoped to flydubai to catch that flight. Maybe back to Chicago.

There was an article in the local news NYC 2016 pax up 20%. I expect with the new planes we should get a huge boast.

BA, Qatar, Etihad and Emirates will be impacted by this. Hopefully next summer will fly KU to NYC instead of Ba :)

The impact of London numbers in Jan was great thx to the new planes.

There was a reply earlier and that person said "someone from Kuwait Airways said Los Angeles will be a new destination" It seems he knows someone there and Los Angeles is the second largest metro area in the US so why go to IAD or ORD where there's the same competition when you can to to Los Angeles and cover a different geographic area to get more traffic ?

Would love to see Kuwait Airways 77Ws here at LAX!

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

Monty1988

Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:43 pm

sassiciai wrote:
Kuwait Airways is alcohol-free, and that believe it or not, has a big impact on its ability ( or willingness) to compete with the ME3

I had only one Kuwait Airways flight, and that was back in the 197s, from Cairo to Kuwait City. The flight itself was not all that long, but the fun we all had at the bar in Cairo airport was so revealing.

There was a pressure 4-deep at the bar, customers shouting out multi-orders and waving cash to get served quickly. I Never saw so many guys in Arabic "uniform" drink so much in so little time!

I experienced many other similar situations on a short trip to Kuwait!

So I'm happy that the ME3 accept the world reality and serve alcohol on-board, rather than Kuwait (and Saudi, I suppose) who continue to pretend that their home customers don't like a drink when they fly!

The government of Kuwait doesn't want to compete with ME3! Its plan is to regain and recapture its lost local market share and become the airline of choice to anyone flying in or out of Kuwait and connect Kuwait to the world major cities just like it did in the 70's & 80's and so far its plan is working! KAC saw major increase in passengers over 22% Compared to last year and it is expected to be profitable sooner than expected, Alcohol is not an issue to them or the people in Kuwait.

Monty1988

Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:11 pm

User001 wrote:
Thanks Monty.

Do we have any links to the press releases to which a few were saying we're local press reports staring the addition of these new routes?

Believe it or not mostly on social media interviews like snapchat! Example this guy https://mobile.twitter.com/mashro3y_q8y?lang=ar its all in arabic plus a couple of interviews on Kuwait TV.

aemoreira1981

Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:13 pm

rufusmi wrote:

US officials might still desire that for security reasons. The return trip remains nonstop.

If Kuwait Airways were to attempt to fly to LAX, they might be pushing it on the eastbound trip (LAX to JED is longer, but Saudia's 77Ws are less dense...there would have to be a westbound stopover, likely in SNN). A one-way codeshare with JetBlue makes more sense.

As for reviews, that may change now that the 772ERs and 343s are on their way out---likely to the scrapyard.

Monty1988

Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:42 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
rufusmi wrote:

US officials might still desire that for security reasons. The return trip remains nonstop.

If Kuwait Airways were to attempt to fly to LAX, they might be pushing it on the eastbound trip (LAX to JED is longer, but Saudia's 77Ws are less dense...there would have to be a westbound stopover, likely in SNN). A one-way codeshare with JetBlue makes more sense.

As for reviews, that may change now that the 772ERs and 343s are on their way out---likely to the scrapyard.[/quote

As far as i know security stops are coming to an end soon maybe june or july, 2 777's 4 A340's and 1 747 are retiring next August , 5 A330's and 10 A320's will be repainted withe new livery at C Check.

Monty1988

Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:13 am

My friend in KAC told me they have decided to expdite the A340 fleet retirement, 2 A340's already retired 9K-ANA and 9K-ANB the next 2 will leave the fleet in April and May sad :(

aemoreira1981

Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:21 am

Did 9K-ANA leave the fleet on February 27?

Monty1988

Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:29 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:
Did 9K-ANA leave the fleet on February 27?

My friend told me 2 weeks ago.

User001

Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:24 am

The KU117 stop in SNN may be moving to another airport from 26th March. Awaiting confirmations.

abrelosojos

Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:10 pm

Is this really a major expansion, or going back to all the cuts they have done?

Saludos,
Alex
Live, and let live.

MoonC

Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:48 pm

Does anyone know when they will start repainting the rest of the fleet?
None was repainted yet I think, only the newly delivered 77Ws had the new livery.

behramjee
Topic Author

Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:32 pm

abrelosojos wrote:
Is this really a major expansion, or going back to all the cuts they have done?

Saludos,
Alex

Actual expansion as from 270 flights per week in W16, KU is operating 313 per week per direction in S17. An expansion of this magnitude has not been done at KU for a very long time.

KU took delivery of its 5th new B77W over this past weekend with 5 more remaining to be delivered this year.

Monty1988

Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:03 pm

MoonC wrote:
Does anyone know when they will start repainting the rest of the fleet?
None was repainted yet I think, only the newly delivered 77Ws had the new livery.

With upcoming C Checks due in few months.

COKMCI

Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:48 am

User001 wrote:
The KU117 stop in SNN may be moving to another airport from 26th March. Awaiting confirmations.

Starting 26th March KU117 will be a non-stop KWI-JFK flight.

KU117 KWI 0225 - 1520 JFK (777W)
KU118 JFK 1900 - 1410 KWI (777W)

1520 Arrival and 1900 Departure instead of current 2000 Arrival and 2200 Departure in JFK.

airway1

Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:46 pm

Just announced that Kuwait airways moving tech stop to Manchester. I would expect this to be a test trial for KU. Is there pre clearance there?

http://aviationweek.com/blog/kuwait-air ... manchester

User001

Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:34 pm

It seems the flight will be:

KU117 KWI 0900 MAN 1415
KU117 MAN 1625 JFK 1805

B77W Daily, uses T2 Manchester.

Not updated on KU website at this time.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos