SQ22
Crew
Topic Author

Detroit Air Service Discussion Part 5

Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:38 pm

Please continue your discussion and to post your updates here.

Link to previous thread:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1351503

klm617

Re: Detroit Air Service Discussion Part 5

Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:58 am

YAY us we have made it to a Detroit discussion thread part 5 when in the past most of the Detroit threads have mostly been DOA and filled with nothing but negative feedback.

dtw2hyd

Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:16 am

alfa164 wrote:
:checkmark: Exactly. Until the perception of Detroit changes - and it will only change with noticeable improvements, over a period of time - there will be little success in luring travels from other parts of the world to the DTW area.

How would the perception change if fanboys from other cities beating it down intentionally. Buffalo fanboy Wolf Blizter makes sure to repeat Detroit is the worst every opportunity he gets, absolutely fake news. Same with every one else.

Is City of Detroit worst than South Boston, South Atlanta or South Chicago. Absolutely not.

A 5,800 Square mile area with over 5+ Million people with some of the wealthiest ZIP codes, large concentration of Technology companies and 600K IT professionals is judged by judged by 142 Square miles and 677K population. Even City is doing real good.

Microsoft is opening a technology center in City of Detroit.
Amazon already has a development center.
City's business space occupancy reached record high.
State's unemployment recovered from very high 14.5 to one of the lowest in the country.
Out of state cars and bad drivers are everywhere.
In some cities minimum price of new construction is $500K, but only abandoned property in Detroit makes news.
Detroit blight is removed
Urban farming is very popular

All this is private sector, proud to be not nursing on federal government.

klm617

Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:30 pm

I know DTW passenger counts have grown in the past 2 years but does it really tell the whole picture. Is DTW growing at the same pace as other airports in it's category. I know less than 10 years ago DTW was in the top 15 airports in the world for enplanements and now it's not even in the top 50. So as passenger go up is DTW really doing that well because to me it seems like our airport slips more and more down ward on the list of the worlds busiest airports while CLT continues to hold it's position with less O/D traffic that the Detroit area.

flymco753

Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:52 pm

DTW is growing in the O&D area, tons of people in Detroit have a reason to travel now and that's what is fueling growth in numbers, this is the year DTW breaks 36M pax. Connection traffic has been stagnant because only 2 airlines offer connection flights, DL and NK. DL has slipped only a little bit and NK has picked up a little slack using the same flight numbers on one or multi-stop flights. O&D is or will eventually be more than connections.
Orlando, Florida KMCO

KDTWflyer

Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:28 am

Ok I'll say this. DTW is a world-class airport! The McNamara terminal is so nice inside and connecting through DTW is a breeze compared to some of the other major hubs in the country. That being said, long term growth at DTW will depend on moving bodies through the airport at ever increasing numbers. People from outside the 'D', as some of us locals affectionately refer to it, are quick to blast Detroit in negative terms as many of you are familiar. Detroit, the city itself, has last over a million people since the late 1950s. A million. That has all sorts of deleterious effects over time as one can imagine. That being said, downtown Detroit is a nice area and the real traffic factor for DTW are and will continue to be, at least over the next decade, people in the burbs. The Metro Detroit Urban area is the 14th most populous MSA (Metropolitan Statistical Area - Census - stuff) in the country . There is a lot of potential to tap into the population for the leisure market and also a huge potential for greater business travel demand.

I don't buy into DTW being marginalized by DL. I just don't see it happening. I don't have specific and articulable evidence to back this claim up, just an overall feeling. I do think DTW, at least for the leisure market segment consumer, would benefit from having greater competition among airlines. I'd also like to see DL continue to focus its Asian operations out of DTW for the Midwest / East Coast and try to expand further into Europe (this is evidenced already by adding MUC for example) as well as seasonal service to FCO. I'm really curious to see what the pax numbers are for FY2016 and that should be coming out soon. Hopefully it will approach 2005 levels as I recall that was the peak year in overall pax numbers. I am excited to see what the future holds for DTW.
NW B744 B742 B753 B752 A333 A332 A320 A319 DC10 DC9 ARJ CRJ S340

flymco753

Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:52 pm

Does anyone else think Copa could make DTW-PTY work? That's one thing the airport lacks is Latin connections beyond Mexico. The only issue is nobody in Detroit knows what Copa is.
Orlando, Florida KMCO

flymco753

Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:55 pm

DL cuts A321 service from DTW-PDX...not surprised, but those 2 are still on ATL.
Orlando, Florida KMCO

iFlyDTW

Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:53 pm

The new Catcora restaurant opened at the McNamara, it's not bad if you pass through and have time to eat.
Home of the "Bare Fare" /// Banana Plane Republic

klm617

Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:50 pm

And just like that Providence has as many Nonstop destinations to Europe as Detroit has rather laughable that Detroit can't even land on new route to Europe. Which the WCAA would get of their but and start marketing this airport so we can get some real choices to fly as far as price goes instead of being susceptible to Delta's price gouging to Europe. Remember the slap in the face DL adding DUB-BOS instead of linking their 3rd largest hub DTW with tons of onward connections.

*D8 PVD-BFS
*D8 PVD-DUB
*D8 PVD-EDI
*D8 PVD-ORK
*D8 PVD-SNN

flymco753

Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:56 pm

Aside of NK additions, I'm a firm believer that the next domestic addition is once daily AA DTW-LAX on the 319, makes perfect sense.
Orlando, Florida KMCO

GSP psgr

Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:19 pm

I don't know what it says about DTW, but here's a list of airports east of the Mississippi that see DL mainline, but aren't connected to the DTW hub (excl FNT):

ATL (24): Charleston (WV)*, Charlottesville*, Newport News, Roanoke*, Asheville*, Tri-Cities (TN), Fayetteville (NC), Jacksonville (NC), Wilmington (NC), Columbia (SC)*, Augusta (GA), Daytona Beach, Melbourne, Fort Walton Beach, Panama City, Key West, Pensacola, Gainesville, Tallahassee, Gulfport, Mobile, Shreveport, Lafayette, Baton Rouge
MSP(1)-Duluth

*=Were served from DTW back in the NW days.

A lot of these are destinations that NW served via MEM back in the day; but the most northerly ones and CAE, IIRC, had DTW service. Of what's on there, ROA, CHO, CRW, AVL, and CAE would make the most sense. ILM and BTR both seem large enough that they should have some service to the Midwest, but don't; ILM and some of the Florida destinations could make sense on a seasonal basis for beach traffic.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos