quickmover
Topic Author
Posts: 2160
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:28 am

American upgauges DFW-COU

Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:42 am

Growing nicely. They opened Columbia maybe 3 years ago with 2 erj145s to each ORD and DFW

American Airlines announced that flights from Columbia Regional Airport (COU) to Dallas/ Fort-Worth International Airport (DFW) will be served with CRJ900 series aircrafts beginning Feb. 16. Flights to Chicago O’Hare International Airport will continue to be served by CRJ700 series aircrafts.

The new aircraft seats 76 passengers including 12 first class seats. The aircraft features several upgrades such as spacious entry, more legroom, larger windows and upgraded LED lighting.

Service through American Airlines to and from DFW will now be provided by MESA Airlines.
 
globalcabotage
Posts: 438
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:42 pm

Re: American upguages DFW-COU

Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:08 am

AA has done quite well at these underserved Midwest markets from DFW, and to a lesser extent ORD. Hopefully more routes will happen!
 
quickmover
Topic Author
Posts: 2160
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:28 am

Re: American upguages DFW-COU

Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:32 am

I'm glad to see the extra seats, but I wouldn't mind going back to the 145s if we could get 3 dailies instead of 2. The extra frequency would build the market better. Also if you miss your flight it gives you options
 
User avatar
Acey559
Posts: 1080
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:30 pm

Re: American upguages DFW-COU

Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:11 am

Seems like AA is doing a lot of this. We have been getting the -900 in Moline for a little while now, but unfortunately at the expense of the third daily. Nice to finally have first class back though.
 
kstateinALB
Posts: 539
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:22 am

Re: American upguages DFW-COU

Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:44 am

They're doing this at MHK for the DFW flights. Going to be on CR7's. Big kudos to MHK!
ALB, DTW, ORD, MDW, MCI, JFK, LGA, LHR, MAD, MSP, IAD, DCA, MCO, ATL, CVG, TUL, MHK, PHL, PIT, DFW, DAL, CLT, IND, AUS,
 
quickmover
Topic Author
Posts: 2160
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:28 am

Re: American upguages DFW-COU

Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:07 am

Acey559 wrote:
Seems like AA is doing a lot of this. We have been getting the -900 in Moline for a little while now, but unfortunately at the expense of the third daily. Nice to finally have first class back though.


I don't believe SGF-DFW has anything but the 145s, but they are at least six or seven dailies Maybe COU-ORD will get a 3rd 145
 
thegoldenargosy
Posts: 570
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:14 am

Re: American upguages DFW-COU

Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:16 am

Ten years ago COU was served by only Air Midwest B1900's to MCI. It's amazing how if you serve a market with a plane that people actually want to fly how it increases demand.
 
TransGlobalGold
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:40 pm

Re: American upguages DFW-COU

Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:20 am

quickmover wrote:
Acey559 wrote:
Seems like AA is doing a lot of this. We have been getting the -900 in Moline for a little while now, but unfortunately at the expense of the third daily. Nice to finally have first class back though.


I don't believe SGF-DFW has anything but the 145s, but they are at least six or seven dailies Maybe COU-ORD will get a 3rd 145


I think it's a good route that will see some CR7's and maybe 175's.
 
quickmover
Topic Author
Posts: 2160
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:28 am

Re: American upguages DFW-COU

Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:19 am

Isn't AA phasing out 50 seat aircraft in favor of larger aircraft in the future?
 
User avatar
TheLion
Posts: 282
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:14 am

Re: American upguages DFW-COU

Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:43 am

Does an upguage of slightly larger (26 seats per flight!) regional jet to a minor market few have heard of really warrant a separate thread? Some new long haul international route launches don't even get a mention on here #JustSaying.
 
ahj2000
Posts: 698
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:34 pm

Re: American upguages DFW-COU

Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:15 pm

TheLion wrote:
Does an upguage of slightly larger (26 seats per flight!) regional jet to a minor market few have heard of really warrant a separate thread? Some new long haul international route launches don't even get a mention on here #JustSaying.

A) it's all about what the people want to talk about /:)
B) this is kind of a pattern that has been going on regarding AA's Eagle ops nationwide, especially out of DFW
-Andrés Juánez
 
User avatar
TheLion
Posts: 282
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:14 am

Re: American upguages DFW-COU

Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:32 am

ahj2000 wrote:
TheLion wrote:
Does an upguage of slightly larger (26 seats per flight!) regional jet to a minor market few have heard of really warrant a separate thread? Some new long haul international route launches don't even get a mention on here #JustSaying.

A) it's all about what the people want to talk about /:)
B) this is kind of a pattern that has been going on regarding AA's Eagle ops nationwide, especially out of DFW


It'd be great if significant numbers of you Yanks took more interest in other countries and cultures. Although a.net in travel terms is a fairly enlightened community, it's still rather insular, with a plurality of threads about US aviation & US viewpoints, often with an underlying theme of US style-neoliberal capitalism and/or union bashing.
 
freakyrat
Posts: 1058
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:04 pm

Re: American upguages DFW-COU

Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:29 pm

globalcabotage wrote:
AA has done quite well at these underserved Midwest markets from DFW, and to a lesser extent ORD. Hopefully more routes will happen!

This may free up some 50 seaters so they can open up SBN-DFW. The airport has been working to bring back American Eagle but the problem was lack of aircraft.
 
nadavatar64
Posts: 225
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:44 pm

Re: American upguages DFW-COU

Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:51 pm

globalcabotage wrote:
AA has done quite well at these underserved Midwest markets from DFW, and to a lesser extent ORD. Hopefully more routes will happen!


I can really see DL serving some of those routes from ATL, competition is always good.
 
kbmiflyer
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:47 pm

Re: American upguages DFW-COU

Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:00 pm

freakyrat wrote:
This may free up some 50 seaters so they can open up SBN-DFW. The airport has been working to bring back American Eagle but the problem was lack of aircraft.


American is planning on retiring 13 ERJ140's and 23 CRJ200's from the eagle fleet this year. They are also retiring most of the remaining dash 8's based on Philly, so they really aren't creating extra capacity in the 50 seat market.
 
User avatar
BN727227Ultra
Posts: 380
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:15 pm

Re: American upguages DFW-COU

Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:01 pm

TheLion wrote:
ahj2000 wrote:
TheLion wrote:
Does an upguage of slightly larger (26 seats per flight!) regional jet to a minor market few have heard of really warrant a separate thread? Some new long haul international route launches don't even get a mention on here #JustSaying.

A) it's all about what the people want to talk about /:)
B) this is kind of a pattern that has been going on regarding AA's Eagle ops nationwide, especially out of DFW


It'd be great if significant numbers of you Yanks took more interest in other countries and cultures. Although a.net in travel terms is a fairly enlightened community, it's still rather insular, with a plurality of threads about US aviation & US viewpoints, often with an underlying theme of US style-neoliberal capitalism and/or union bashing.


D00d, any anorak with 25USD can join in. There is essentially no barrier to entry.

I live in the US, love being from here, but no xenophobe am I. Between A.net and Flyertalk, I've had my universe expanded and am grateful for it.

I really would love to talk politics, but I don't want to get punted off the board. Let's say that we're all a work in progress.
 
User avatar
TheLion
Posts: 282
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:14 am

Re: American upguages DFW-COU

Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:51 pm

BN727227Ultra wrote:
TheLion wrote:
ahj2000 wrote:
A) it's all about what the people want to talk about /:)
B) this is kind of a pattern that has been going on regarding AA's Eagle ops nationwide, especially out of DFW


It'd be great if significant numbers of you Yanks took more interest in other countries and cultures. Although a.net in travel terms is a fairly enlightened community, it's still rather insular, with a plurality of threads about US aviation & US viewpoints, often with an underlying theme of US style-neoliberal capitalism and/or union bashing.


D00d, any anorak with 25USD can join in. There is essentially no barrier to entry.

I live in the US, love being from here, but no xenophobe am I. Between A.net and Flyertalk, I've had my universe expanded and am grateful for it.

I really would love to talk politics, but I don't want to get punted off the board. Let's say that we're all a work in progress.


Fair enough *strokes chin in condescending manner* ;)
 
Flighty
Posts: 8546
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:07 am

Re: American upguages DFW-COU

Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:57 pm

COU has a major research university with many thousands of routine travelers, including international travelers. It all comes down to whether competitive fares are offered. If so, the market is good sized.
 
commavia
Posts: 11088
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:30 am

Re: American upguages DFW-COU

Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:01 pm

globalcabotage wrote:
AA has done quite well at these underserved Midwest markets from DFW, and to a lesser extent ORD. Hopefully more routes will happen!


Indeed. AA's success in many smaller Midwest markets has been impressive - but insight, probably shouldn't be all that surprising considering the natural network advantage that AA arguably enjoys in the central time zone. AA has ideally the two best-situated hubs that bracket, north and south, the central U.S. By leveraging and optimizing the network synergy of the two of them - taking advantage of DFW's connectivity south and west, and ORD's connectivity north and east, for instance - it makes for a fairly compelling offering for a lot of places in between the two. Plus, on top of that, as LAXdude1023 has pointed out many times over the years, it also just so happens that AA's two main central U.S. hubs are not only well-situated geographically, but they're also fairly ideal demographically. In many smaller Midwestern markets, DFW and ORD are both at or near the top of the list of O&D markets - so they benefit from inherent local demand to only further supplement and strengthen the connections.

Acey559 wrote:
Seems like AA is doing a lot of this. We have been getting the -900 in Moline for a little while now, but unfortunately at the expense of the third daily. Nice to finally have first class back though.

kbmiflyer wrote:
American is planning on retiring 13 ERJ140's and 23 CRJ200's from the eagle fleet this year. They are also retiring most of the remaining dash 8's based on Philly, so they really aren't creating extra capacity in the 50 seat market.


Absolutely - and more of it is to come. With dozens of small RJs and props leaving the AA network over the next 18-24 months, more and more cities will progressively transition to higher gauge and fewer flights.

At this point, it seems as though much if not all of the "growth" in the Eagle network is really going to be replacement of existing aircraft with larger aircraft at lower frequency. Contrasted with, say, a decade ago, the era of rapid regional feeder growth clearly appears to be over - there is far less of a compelling market or economic imperative for it.

thegoldenargosy wrote:
Ten years ago COU was served by only Air Midwest B1900's to MCI. It's amazing how if you serve a market with a plane that people actually want to fly how it increases demand.


True, an aircraft people actually want to fly is critical, but as said above, what's equally if not more critical is that aircraft flying to a place where people want to go, or at least to a place where people have the opportunity to easily and conveniently connect to where they want to go. For a market like COU, needless to say, the convenient, 1-stop connectivity available over DFW and ORD dwarf anything that has ever been available over MCI.
 
User avatar
Boeing778X
Posts: 2893
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:55 pm

Re: American upguages DFW-COU

Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:03 pm

kbmiflyer wrote:
freakyrat wrote:
This may free up some 50 seaters so they can open up SBN-DFW. The airport has been working to bring back American Eagle but the problem was lack of aircraft.


American is planning on retiring 13 ERJ140's and 23 CRJ200's from the eagle fleet this year. They are also retiring most of the remaining dash 8's based on Philly, so they really aren't creating extra capacity in the 50 seat market.


As of yesterday, MQ only have 6x E140s left. N823AE went to ABI for deactivation. I know that Expressjet swaps their DFW CRJ-200s with CRJ-700s at some point this year.

The 50-seat jet count only gets smaller from this point on, which is a great sign! A Mesa CRJ-900 is certainly better than any 50-seater we may have, which shows that our markets are growing well.

MQ just received their 29th E175, N248NN, with two more coming this month. The E175 is now being used to cities that have traditionally seen 50-seaters, notably CVG.
Been On: 722 733 73G 738, 752, 763, 788, A319, A320, A321, E140, E145, E45X, E175, C208, Q400, CRJ7, CRJ9, MD82, MD83
 
777PHX
Posts: 377
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:36 am

Re: American upguages DFW-COU

Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:10 pm

Flighty wrote:
COU has a major research university with many thousands of routine travelers, including international travelers. It all comes down to whether competitive fares are offered. If so, the market is good sized.


Not to mention the state capital, which is 25 minutes down the road.
 
grbauc
Posts: 728
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:05 pm

Re: American upguages DFW-COU

Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:07 pm

TheLion wrote:
ahj2000 wrote:
TheLion wrote:
Does an upguage of slightly larger (26 seats per flight!) regional jet to a minor market few have heard of really warrant a separate thread? Some new long haul international route launches don't even get a mention on here #JustSaying.

A) it's all about what the people want to talk about /:)
B) this is kind of a pattern that has been going on regarding AA's Eagle ops nationwide, especially out of DFW


It'd be great if significant numbers of you Yanks took more interest in other countries and cultures. Although a.net in travel terms is a fairly enlightened community, it's still rather insular, with a plurality of threads about US aviation & US viewpoints, often with an underlying theme of US style-neoliberal capitalism and/or union bashing.


What's wrong with that?

I like reading other worldly views I get your point.
 
thegoldenargosy
Posts: 570
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:14 am

Re: American upguages DFW-COU

Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:25 am

/Users/AndrewJohnson/Desktop/IMG_0607.jpg

What I love most about flying into COU is that I can see my grandfather from the airplane waiting to pick me up.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos