Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

cessna2
Topic Author

Delta adds RDU-BNA

Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:33 am

Hot off the press! Delta to add 2 daily flights from RDU to BNA, starting June 12th.

RDU-BNA

OO4492 Dep: 0700 Arr. 07:37
OO4548 Dep: 19:20 Arr. 19:58

BNA-RDU

OO4541 Dep: 06:00 Arr. 0841
OO4591 Dep: 18:30 Arr. 21:04

Congrats to RDU on another great add! What will we see next?

https://www.facebook.com/rduairport/pho ... =3&theater

ERJ170

Re: Delta adds RDU-BNA

Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:47 am

Holy crap! That came outta nowhere! Was completely expecting New Orleans and Kansas City..

Cubsrule

Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:06 am

ERJ170 wrote:
Holy crap! That came outta nowhere! Was completely expecting New Orleans and Kansas City..

Is it perhaps partially for aircraft rotation to OO maintenance in BNA? WN has more frequency and lots more loyalty on the Nashville end.

southwest1675

Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:15 am

Cubsrule wrote:
ERJ170 wrote:

Is it perhaps partially for aircraft rotation to OO maintenance in BNA? WN has more frequency and lots more loyalty on the Nashville end.

Could be possible. The flights are operated on SkyWest.

cessna2
Topic Author

Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:39 am

Cubsrule wrote:
ERJ170 wrote:

I don't think SkyWest flies into RDU at the moment. At least they haven't in the recent past. I was expecting 9E on the route. Shocked when OO popped up.

Caspian27

Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:18 am

cessna2 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
ERJ170 wrote:

I don't think SkyWest flies into RDU at the moment. At least they haven't in the recent past. I was expecting 9E on the route. Shocked when OO popped up.

Maybe not for Delta, but there is quite a bit of RDU ops by OO for UA from ORD and DEN.

DiamondFlyer

Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:34 am

Cubsrule wrote:
ERJ170 wrote:

They run a CR2 from CVG to BNA, IIRC. So maybe it's just a re-timing of that flight, allowing the plane to do CVG-BNA-RDU-BNA-CVG. Not sure where else they would be able to route a OO/DL CR2 out of RDU from.

A CR9 would be easier to route in and out of BNA to RDU, but it remains to be clear if it really is 2x CR9's daily.

slcdeltarumd11

Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:22 am

Nashville is thriving I think this is not a dart board route. A route they see real potential and business traffic.

Hopefully there is enough business and last minute traffic to get good yields.

LAX772LR

Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:34 am

ERJ170 wrote:

Same here. Was sure DL was going to relaunch RDU-MSY sooner or later, but apparently WN beat them to it.

777Mech

Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:25 am

Cubsrule wrote:
ERJ170 wrote:

Where are you getting the loyalty part from? DL has a huge amount of FFs in BNA. It's up there as one Of the stations with the highest amount of medallion members in the system.

commavia

Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:26 pm

Interesting add ... I remember in the late 1990s when RDU-BNA was 3x daily with American Eagle SAAB 340s :)

Cubsrule

Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:38 pm

777Mech wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
ERJ170 wrote:

Where are you getting the loyalty part from? DL has a huge amount of FFs in BNA. It's up there as one Of the stations with the highest amount of medallion members in the system.

Most of those who fly a lot in BNA are loyal to WN plus one legacy (generally AA or DL). Think of it this way: WN gets the AA and some DL passengers going to RDU. DL competes for only the DL passengers.

b777900

Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:41 pm

What type of aircraft on this route will Delta use?

TYSflyer

Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:29 pm

This is an intriguing add to me. I realize that both areas are thriving and both cities have a large DL presence. However that seems like an awful lot of capacity for the route when you include the 3 daily WN 737. Seems like it would make more sense to start RDU-MSY given the lack of a dominant carrier on the route. But then again I'm not the one privy to the information in the route planning department. Anyway, maybe OO is going to take over some of the DL flying in RDU?

Cubsrule

Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:42 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
ERJ170 wrote:

They run a CR2 from CVG to BNA, IIRC. So maybe it's just a re-timing of that flight, allowing the plane to do CVG-BNA-RDU-BNA-CVG. Not sure where else they would be able to route a OO/DL CR2 out of RDU from.

A CR9 would be easier to route in and out of BNA to RDU, but it remains to be clear if it really is 2x CR9's daily.

It is loaded as 2x CR9, independent of the CVG flights (which do go CR9). Looking at the OO schedules in BNA in June, though, I am not sure they are yet fully loaded. There are a number of things that do not make sense even given the fact that aircraft are going in and out of maintenance.

Lexy

Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:36 pm

I think it's even more interesting how AA just lets other airlines come in and do what they want here. You'd think they'd actually try to compete just a little. Seems if it's not a hub, AA could care less about the market even though it's one of the biggest AA stations in the network.

commavia

Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:38 pm

Lexy wrote:
I think it's even more interesting how AA just lets other airlines come in and do what they want here. You'd think they'd actually try to compete just a little. Seems if it's not a hub, AA could care less about the market even though it's one of the biggest AA stations in the network.

The only major gap missing for AA at RDU is BOS - and I still find it incredible that AA refuses to reenter that market. But other than that, AA has many of the largest and most important RDU O&D markets - NYC, WAS, PHL, NYC, DFW, LAX, South Florida, plus also LON (and thus Europe) - covered, and covered quite well. And similarly at BNA, I think AA has a pretty compelling offering covering nonstops to all of those same huge domestic O&D markets. AA would never be flying RDU-BNA these days.

nadavatar64

Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:46 pm

Lexy wrote:

Why would they?
Anyway, nice to see some comptetition on pretty peripheral routes, even though it seems like alot of capacity for that particular route!

Cubsrule

Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:03 pm

commavia wrote:
Lexy wrote:

The only major gap missing for AA at RDU is BOS - and I still find it incredible that AA refuses to reenter that market. But other than that, AA has many of the largest and most important RDU O&D markets - NYC, WAS, PHL, NYC, DFW, LAX, South Florida, plus also LON (and thus Europe) - covered, and covered quite well. And similarly at BNA, I think AA has a pretty compelling offering covering nonstops to all of those same huge domestic O&D markets. AA would never be flying RDU-BNA these days.

I agree. There are a few opportunities like BOS and perhaps SFO once AS has absorbed VX and assuming that AA and AS get closer. But BNA-RDU is not one of those opportunities with or without DL on the route.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:11 pm

The other thing AA has going for it in RDU is the massive CLT operation directly west of RDU. Many travelers in the RDU area will drive to CLT to take nonstop flights to some of the more "exotic" destinations, particularly the plethora of destinations in the Carribean, nonstops to Europe, and other stuff not serviced non stop from RDU. For leisure travelers, the 2 - 2.5 hour drive to CLT is very time and price comparable to connecting options over other hubs.

deltadawg

Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:22 pm

This really seems to be a "test the waters" move more than anything. If it pans out and loads are good expect an upgauge to 717's or CS100's in future!

MonAmQB

Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:37 pm

Really glad to see DL adding more nonstop destinations out of RDU. Is there any chance that DL may add SF Bay Area to the nonstop destination list? The tech link is there. I know UA is strong on this market with nonstop SFO-RDU. But the airfare is usually $1,200 RT. a little competition would be welcome.

ERJ170

Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:44 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
The other thing AA has going for it in RDU is the massive CLT operation directly west of RDU. Many travelers in the RDU area will drive to CLT to take nonstop flights to some of the more "exotic" destinations, particularly the plethora of destinations in the Carribean, nonstops to Europe, and other stuff not serviced non stop from RDU. For leisure travelers, the 2 - 2.5 hour drive to CLT is very time and price comparable to connecting options over other hubs.

I don't know anyone who drives to CLT to take any "exotic" flight. They may connect, but no one will drive. Exact coast travelers may drive 2.5 hours to fly out of RDU, but no one in the Triangle will drive 2.5 hours when they can get anywhere they want from RDU nonstop or via a single connection.

kotoka

Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:34 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:

Very few folks do that. On AA it's actually cheaper a lot of times to fly out of RDU (even if connecting in CLT), rather than driving to CLT and catching a flight. Add the mileage, price of gas and parking and it becomes a very unattractive proposition.

adamblang

Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:31 pm

Looks like this opens up some connections for BNA-RDU-DCA, BNA-RDU-EWR, and BNA-RDU-BWI. Given longer connection times in RDU, these don't save a whole ton o' time, if any, against connecting in Atlanta or Detroit, but if you're megahub-phobic, it's something.

B752OS

Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:50 pm

At this point, is RDU Delta's most important station apart from JFK/LGA/ATL/DTW/MSP/SLC/SEA/LAX?

cvgComair

Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:59 pm

B752OS wrote:
At this point, is RDU Delta's most important station apart from JFK/LGA/ATL/DTW/MSP/SLC/SEA/LAX?

CVG still has more seats, destinations, and daily departures. The big thing that pushes RDU closer to CVG is DL operating a bunch of CRJ-900's to Florida on 3-4x/day, whereas they use 1-2x/day MD-80/737 at CVG. I believe BOS and MCO also have more seats than RDU, but I am not sure on that one.

ERJ170

Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:15 pm

Ok. I'm gonna go ahead and ask. What's DL next destination and when??? I'm gonna guess by April another destination will be announced..

GSPSPOT

Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:51 pm

TYSflyer wrote:
This is an intriguing add to me. I realize that both areas are thriving and both cities have a large DL presence. However that seems like an awful lot of capacity for the route when you include the 3 daily WN 737. Seems like it would make more sense to start RDU-MSY given the lack of a dominant carrier on the route.

This. While both are thriving regions, aren't they in different economic sectors from one another?

AEROFAN

Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:56 pm

cessna2 wrote:
Hot off the press! Delta to add 2 daily flights from RDU to BNA, starting June 12th.

RDU-BNA

OO4492 Dep: 0700 Arr. 07:37
OO4548 Dep: 19:20 Arr. 19:58

BNA-RDU

OO4541 Dep: 06:00 Arr. 0841
OO4591 Dep: 18:30 Arr. 21:04

Congrats to RDU on another great add! What will we see next?

https://www.facebook.com/rduairport/pho ... =3&theater

Can we get back the hover mouse over three letter code and it displays the city please.
These three letter codes are beginning to annoy me now

TransGlobalGold

Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:57 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
ERJ170 wrote:

The RDU website comments state it's a CR900. Interestingly, the MNAA hasn't put out a press release. I usually see those before I get info here or airlineroute.

TransGlobalGold

Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:03 pm

GSPSPOT wrote:
TYSflyer wrote:
This is an intriguing add to me. I realize that both areas are thriving and both cities have a large DL presence. However that seems like an awful lot of capacity for the route when you include the 3 daily WN 737. Seems like it would make more sense to start RDU-MSY given the lack of a dominant carrier on the route.

This. While both are thriving regions, aren't they in different economic sectors from one another?

The growth in Nashville is nuts. Something like 100 people a day moving here. Local paper says biggest growth in jobs is in the management, scientific and technical consulting growing at the fastest rate, Auto manufacturing is picking back up again as well. There is a strong desire in the city for a flight to Japan. I think LHR comes first, but Tokyo would not be a huge stretch. Perhaps not daily at first, but who knows.

TransGlobalGold

Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:09 pm

nadavatar64 wrote:
Lexy wrote:

Why would they?
Anyway, nice to see some comptetition on pretty peripheral routes, even though it seems like alot of capacity for that particular route!

I'd at least like to see AA get rid of the 50 seat flying. I know they still have it to most of the hubs sans DFW which has been all mainline since I can remember, plus LAx. MIA is all E75 I think. ORD, LGA, PHL, and DCA still get the smaller RJ's with some bigger mixed in..

MAH4546

Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:45 pm

TransGlobalGold wrote:
nadavatar64 wrote:
Lexy wrote:

Why would they?

I'd at least like to see AA get rid of the 50 seat flying. I know they still have it to most of the hubs sans DFW which has been all mainline since I can remember, plus LAx. MIA is all E75 I think. ORD, LGA, PHL, and DCA still get the smaller RJ's with some bigger mixed in..

MIARDU is 100% 738 right now.

11725Flyer

Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:21 am

Nice add for RDU. With the recently announced BOS addition, DL clearly likes what it sees in the BNA market.

flymco753

Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:30 am

BNA has seen some good results from DL lately, all mainline to DTW this summer and 5x daily 3 being mainline to MSP, CRJ-CR9 to CVG. Plenty of upgauging happening at BNA.

WaywardMemphian

Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:52 am

TransGlobalGold wrote:
GSPSPOT wrote:
TYSflyer wrote:

The growth in Nashville is nuts. Something like 100 people a day moving here. Local paper says biggest growth in jobs is in the management, scientific and technical consulting growing at the fastest rate, Auto manufacturing is picking back up again as well. There is a strong desire in the city for a flight to Japan. I think LHR comes first, but Tokyo would not be a huge stretch. Perhaps not daily at first, but who knows.

Here's the most current US News and World Report list of Top US Cities:
The top 20 best cities to live in the U.S.

1. Austin, Texas

2. Denver, Colorado

3. San Jose, California

4. Washington, D.C.

5. Fayetteville, Arkansas

6. Seattle, Washington

7. Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina

8. Boston, Massachusetts

9. Des Moines, Iowa

10. Salt Lake City, Utah

11. Colorado Springs, Colorado

12. Boise, Idaho

13. Nashville, Tennessee

14. Charlotte, North Carolina

15. Dallas, Texas

16. San Francisco, California

17. Minneapolis, Minnesota

18. Madison, Wisconsin

19. Grand Rapids, Michigan

20. Houston, Texas

We here in Northwest Arkansas understand balls to the wall growth.

Just waiting for XNA to explode to the next level.

Cubsrule

Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:31 am

ERJ170 wrote:
Ok. I'm gonna go ahead and ask. What's DL next destination and when??? I'm gonna guess by April another destination will be announced..

I don't think that BNA-RDU tells us much about what DL plans next either at BNA or RDU. This still smells to me like a flight of opportunity related to spare OO capacity at BNA and/or a need to get OO aircraft to RDU for something else, whether that's a new route or, more likely, a change of something operated by YX or 9E to OO.

BNA and RDU are both growing markets that are breaking passenger records seemingly monthly and there is a tourism component, but the dominant industries in each city actually are not all that similar. Nashville isn't a big tech or pharma city, and RDU isn't a big healthcare, music or automotive city.

TransGlobalGold

Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:26 am

MAH4546 wrote:
TransGlobalGold wrote:
nadavatar64 wrote:

Why would they?

MIARDU is 100% 738 right now.

I was actually referring to BNA in my comment. Should have been a little clearer.

cvgComair

Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:16 am

Delta is experimenting with a lot of point to point routes lately. They have many O&D based routes at BOS/CVG/RDU/MCO/DCA/MIA/BDL, and I expect to see them try more of them going forward. While DL has focused on RDU, I think this is equally about BNA as DL has added a nonstop to SEA, CRJ-900's to CVG, and now nonstop to RDU. Many of these midwestern cities would only need a few non-hub destinations for Delta to be the #2 carrier by destinations served behind WN. In the midwest/upper south, Delta operates at least one point to point route from STL/MCI/BNA/RDU/OMA/CLT/LEX/MEM/SDF/GRR/MSN/MKE/IND/CMH/CLE/PIT, not including the routes from the mini-hub at CVG, which is dominated by these smaller O&D based routes. There are a lot of CRJ-700/CRJ-900's routes I could see working in the future, it should be interesting to see which ones may/will be added in the future.

msycajun

Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:30 am

cvgComair wrote:
Delta is experimenting with a lot of point to point routes lately. They have many O&D based routes at BOS/CVG/RDU/MCO/DCA/MIA/BDL, and I expect to see them try more of them going forward. While DL has focused on RDU, I think this is equally about BNA as DL has added a nonstop to SEA, CRJ-900's to CVG, and now nonstop to RDU. Many of these midwestern cities would only need a few non-hub destinations for Delta to be the #2 carrier by destinations served behind WN. In the midwest/upper south, Delta operates at least one point to point route from STL/MCI/BNA/RDU/CLT/LEX/MEM/SDF/GRR/MSN/MKE/IND/CMH/CLE/PIT, not including the routes from the mini-hub at CVG, which is dominated by these smaller O&D based routes. There are a lot of CRJ-700/CRJ-900's routes I could see working in the future, it should be interesting to see which ones may/will be added in the future.

Considering that DL will have over two dozen routes out of RDU, including CDG, I think it is fair to say that RDU is a least a focus city, if not a full blown hub...yet. As such, we are seeing routes like BNA that don't really make sense as a point-to-point O&D alone. It will only work because of the connections on the RDU end.

For perspective, the O&D was less that 250 PDEW and WN has at least 429 seat each way per day.

cvgComair

Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:40 am

msycajun wrote:
Considering that DL will have over two dozen routes out of RDU, including CDG, I think it is fair to say that RDU is a least a focus city, if not a full blown hub...yet. As such, we are seeing routes like BNA that don't really make sense as a point-to-point O&D alone. It will only work because of the connections on the RDU end.

For perspective, the O&D was less that 250 PDEW and WN has at least 429 seat each way per day.

I would really love to see DL declare RDU a hub. Like CVG, as you said, many of the flights are being supported by the O&D market in addition to small connecting flows. While DL's schedule is not as banked at RDU as at CVG, they are clearly connecting some passengers through RDU. I almost bought an itinerary connecting through RDU and have seen it come up as an option multiple times! If I did not live in CVG, I imagine I would take connecting in CVG/RDU over airports like ORD/ATL/JFK/LGA/DCA any day!

Lexy

Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:56 am

nadavatar64 wrote:
Lexy wrote:

Why would they?

Oh a rapidly expanding market, Historically loyal customers, growth in market share, you've likely lost a lot to DL since AA is now the #3 airline at the airport.

DL flies a lot of mainline into BNA while AA is reluctant to do much at all.

ERJ170

Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:54 am

I think DL has gone as far as they are gonna go calling RDU a focus City in a press release... it's not even on their website or in any additional press releases so that should be good enough for now. As far as connection, the RDU spot is meant to offer a few but, from what I recall, is meant to be an O&D market as it currently is. CVG is meant to connect. As a market, RDU as a whole provide limited connections and as this is 97% O&D market for which it is close to 50/50 business/leisure.

So I think what you are seeing is DL looking at business markets that has SOME leisure ties and they are being added... but for the most part, the business market has to be the more significant aspect. Not sure how much business aspect there is between RDU and BNA, but there have been long ties between the two and as such, should make a decent mix.

Lastly, DL has publicly stated they wanted to get RDU top 20 business markets and up to 100 daily flight so there is still a ways to go. However, with them also saying they are not planning on growing ORD, they will not be hitting all 20 business markets so that will be interesting to see how this pans out. I think at least 3 to Chicago is a must.

Cubsrule

Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:03 pm

Lexy wrote:
nadavatar64 wrote:
Lexy wrote:

Why would they?

Oh a rapidly expanding market, Historically loyal customers, growth in market share, you've likely lost a lot to DL since AA is now the #3 airline at the airport.

You'd rather have less frequency and 319s? If so, you need to get on the 319s more. They are not a nice ride in either class.

burnsie28

Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:43 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
Lexy wrote:
nadavatar64 wrote:

Why would they?

You'd rather have less frequency and 319s? If so, you need to get on the 319s more. They are not a nice ride in either class.

Are you talking DL's 319's? The modded planes have IFE in both classes, larger bins etc?

Cubsrule

Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:50 pm

burnsie28 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
Lexy wrote:

Are you talking DL's 319's? The modded planes have IFE in both classes, larger bins etc?

No. Read the thread. DL 319s are lovely (and honestly weren't bad before the recent refurbishment).

RDUDDJI

Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:38 pm

Excited to see this latest add from DL. Surprised, but happy to see BNA on the map. Like many others, I expected MSY first.

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:

The only travelers driving between RDU and CLT are those affected by IROPS. Leisure travelers aren't going to drive 5-6 hours (easily losing at least 2 hours) to catch a *more* expensive flight.

You could try and make the case that business travelers might, but as a weekly business traveler, I've never driven 3 hours to catch a N/S flight when there was a reasonable connection option. Bout an hour is as far as I'll go to avoid a connection.

Lexy

Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:31 am

Cubsrule wrote:
Lexy wrote:
nadavatar64 wrote:

Why would they?

Yes, yes I'd be willing to not have a Chicago flight ever 35-45 minutes of it meant a slightly larger airplane. They would sell the seats if they'd just add the silly things.

flymco753

Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:07 am

Lexy wrote:
Yes, yes I'd be willing to not have a Chicago flight ever 35-45 minutes
That's cause you BNA'ers prefer DTW over ORD and ATL. Folks around there wish DTW had more flights, on the bright side they'll be sending a mix of A320's and A319's that way next month, 6x daily. Sounds better than a 12x daily M88 ATL shuttle. :roll:

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos