LAXintl

Re: Turkish Aviation February 2017

Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:33 am

Yes great spot. Quite classy.and certainly different from last years Batman one.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

TK787
Topic Author

Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:58 pm

Here is a minute long directors cut with a nicer 77W :)
https://vimeo.com/202723114
Well, I find this longer version repetitive. :30 is the best version I think.

I can go into many more details but let me say few things about its technical details:
-The director must have been confused. He could not decide where his actor should deliver the message. In a mere one minute long spot, he is delivering a monologue, looking/talking in the distance, looking/talking into the lens or just talking in his mind (Voice Over). This is confusing, who is he talking to...to the guy sitting in the front row, to me sitting at home watching TV or to himself??
He is a spokesperson, let him talk into the lens ALL the time. Let him talk to the millions watching.
-Why is the camera moving side to side for no reason, why? The camera moves for 3 reasons: follows the actor, it is the Point of View of an actor (we see things from the actor's eyes), or the Director is trying to make a statement. Since Morgan Freeman is not moving, or we don't see things from his point of view, the Director must be making a statemetn. In my humble opinion, the director is trying to spice up the spot by moving the camera. Since he is stuck in Row 1, actor is stuck at 4B, he needs something to make it visually insteresting. "Let's move the camera....AND let's also move"...
-(My biggest problem with this spot)...."Let's move the lights outside the airplane", to create a false sense of movement, as if the plane is turning in the air. There is a big problem with the "Light Continuity". Most of the time the sun seems to be at Camera Left, but if you just examine where the sun is, where is this hard sunlight coming from, you will see the problem, Including the exterior of the plane making a left turn toward the end.

dodgers702

Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:32 pm

Once again it was mentioned in a bilateral meeting between Turkey and Mexico a few days ago that Turkish Airlines was planning to start direct flights to Mexico City to increase stronger ties between both countries. No mention of dates when such flights will start so still skeptical but at least we know Turkish airlines does have a strong intention to send its metal to Mexico. Do not see Emirates or Qatar serving Mexico City anytime soon so it looks like TK may beat them to the punch:

http://www.turkishny.com/english-news/5 ... -to-mexico

TK787
Topic Author

Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:22 pm

dodgers702 wrote:
No mention of dates when such flights will start so still skeptical but at least we know Turkish airlines does have a strong intention to send its metal to Mexico.

Let's not forget how many skeptics were here on a.net when we first heard the news about TK flying to ATL, HAV, CCS, PTY :)
MEX might happen this year; IST-MEX-XXX-IST with a A332. There are only few other destinations left on TK's Long Haul wish list besides MEX. Phuket is the only one I can remember. Eventually, next 5-10 years there might be more thin routes with the arrival of economically longer range 250-300 seat aircraft to destinations like SYD, Chile, Peru, Seattle and such.

dodgers702

Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:33 pm

TK787 wrote:
dodgers702 wrote:
No mention of dates when such flights will start so still skeptical but at least we know Turkish airlines does have a strong intention to send its metal to Mexico.

Let's not forget how many skeptics were here on a.net when we first heard the news about TK flying to ATL, HAV, CCS, PTY :)
MEX might happen this year; IST-MEX-XXX-IST with a A332. There are only few other destinations left on TK's Long Haul wish list besides MEX. Phuket is the only one I can remember. Eventually, next 5-10 years there might be more thin routes with the arrival of economically longer range 250-300 seat aircraft to destinations like SYD, Chile, Peru, Seattle and such.

Do you see TK starting out the route with a A332? I strongly believe that it has a potential to sustain a 777W but they sure don't seem to have many of those compare to their A330 family on their fleet so I can see why. I really hope we see it finally happen this year. I know 2016 was a rough year for them but all signs point that they still are looking to start MEX soon.

TK787
Topic Author

Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:31 pm

What makes you think that MEX-IST can sustain a 77W (49J/300Y), daily? Any inside info?
TK will receive 3 more 77Ws this year and 6 more A333s, so no problems in terms of type. But I even think when and if TK starts the route (depending on the 3rd, triangle city) it might not even be daily.

dodgers702

Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:57 pm

TK787 wrote:
What makes you think that MEX-IST can sustain a 77W (49J/300Y), daily? Any inside info?
TK will receive 3 more 77Ws this year and 6 more A333s, so no problems in terms of type. But I even think when and if TK start the route (depending on the 3rd, triangle city) it might not even be daily.

Sorry, didn't mean to say I had inside info...strictly personal opinion. Maybe I was getting ahead of myself here but I meant in the long run I personally believe TK can make this route a profitable one. I do agree that they would be smart to start it with a A332 maybe 4-5 days weekly.

MalevTU134

Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:25 pm

dodgers702 wrote:
TK787 wrote:
TK will receive 3 more 77Ws this year and 6 more A333s, so no problems in terms of type. But I even think when and if TK start the route (depending on the 3rd, triangle city) it might not even be daily.

Sorry, didn't mean to say I had inside info...strictly personal opinion. Maybe I was getting ahead of myself here but I meant in the long run I personally believe TK can make this route a profitable one. I do agree that they would be smart to start it with a A332 maybe 4-5 days weekly.

I am confident that TK would have a hard time making a route to MEX profitable in the short/medium term. There are simply too few interesting markets where TK could add a value option and harvest good yields. I commented on this in the January thread, and my views haven't changed since.

And what makes you think it would be a triangle route, rather than IST-XXX-MEX-XXX-IST? Preferably that XXX would be a European city un- or underserved to MEX, since only that could change the playing field for TK at MEX.

Invoking the TK flights to BOG/PTY/HAV/CCS as an example of why MEX could/should be started is not really conclusive. As a frequent traveller on those flights since they started to operate, and seeing the fares offered in both BOG and CCS (for both J and Y), from my observations I can confidently say that there is no way that those flights are even near to being profitable. After all, there is a reason (apart from the altitude of BOG) why these flights are 3x weekly, triangular, and with their smallest widebody, having a really outdated hard product. Not something you would do if their were oh so high yielding.
Last edited by MalevTU134 on Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TK787
Topic Author

Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:28 pm

dodgers702 wrote:
TK787 wrote:

If TK finds the right equipment one day to make it nonstop MEX-IST, the other question comes to mind: Who could TK code share at MEX? Not knowing the operators; could Volaris and Aeromar be possible candidates one day?

mafaky

Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:59 pm

Let me contribute to these IST-MEX discussions:

The currently operated IST-BOG-PTY-IST and IST-HAV-CCS-IST triangular routes are flown by two individual A332s (TK has only five frames of that version equipped with cabin crew rest compartment...). Both airplanes have 1 day off (available for other fights), plus some hours off (for a domestic flight and/or nearby international flight such as ATH or TLV...) for 3 days of a week.

The other three (3) A332s are being utilised in various medium haul or European routes (inc. LHR & CDG in Winter timetable...). The termination of 4 weekly IST-KIX flights has practically freed 2 A332s from ER flights. So if, by any chance, if the IST-XXX-MEX-XXX-IST or IST-MEX-XXX-IST routes start on short term (say late 2017/early 2018), at least one A332 can be conveniently utilised. And frankly I cannot expect a B77W can sustain this new route, anyway...

I have to agree, sadly, with MalevTU134. The load factors on the present day two triangular routes are not overwhelming and ticket prices are not high enough to yield very profitable results. A new MEX destination can be no exception. I've been following tours from IST/Turkey to HAV: These tours have become pretty much popular for Turkish tourists (for today, I have to say: for those who can afford these...) during the last 3-4 years. But AF and to a lesser extent IB are the airlines which are used, exclusively. Yes, TK is a very recent player for HAV (just joined in, practically by the beginning of 2017) but it's hard to predict as when we can see TK for IST-HAV flights... :?:

And I also very much agree with MalevTU134 regarding the hard product: These five A332's cabins must be modernised/updated as a first priority with totally new seats (particularly for the J cabin, with flat-bed type ones) and their IFE systems must be rehabiliated. :roll: :!:
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.

mafaky

Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:01 pm

In my opinion rather bad and alarming news (in general as well as specificly on behalf of THY). Sorry it's longish quotation but if given only by a link, not too many will read fully and interprete! :cry:

Turkey has transferred stakes worth billions of dollars in Ziraat Bank, the Borsa Istanbul Stock Exchange, Turkish Airlines and state-owned pipeline operator BOTAŞ, among others, to a new Sovereign Wealth Fund, in a bid to help finance giant infrastructure projects.

The transfers were announced in two separate statements on Feb. 5 and 6, stirring strong criticism from various opposition deputies and economists, mainly due to its audit-free structure and a complicated financing structure, along with the Treasury and the Finance Ministry, which may pave the way for destruction to the country’s fiscal discipline.

The state’s 49.1 percent stake in flag carrier Turkish Airlines - worth roughly $1 billion - and its 51.1 percent of lender Halkbank - worth some $2 billion - have been transferred to the Fund, a statement from the government’s privatization administration said on Feb. 6.

Stakes in state-owned Ziraat Bank, the country’s biggest lender, the Borsa Istanbul stock exchange and state-owned pipeline operator BOTAŞ have also been transferred, according to an announcement on the Official Gazette on Feb. 5.

Other assets that were moved to the Fund include stakes in fixed-line operator Türk Telekom, oil company TPAO, the PTT post office, satellite communications company TÜRKSAT, Eti Maden - the mining company and tea producer ÇAYKUR.

Some 3 billion liras of funds under the control of the Defense Industry Support Fund will also be transferred, according to the Official Gazette. Some 2.3 million square meters of land, owned by the treasury and located in tourism sites, have also been transferred to the Fund.

The value of the transferred assets is estimated at over 31 billion Turkish Liras ($8 billion).

The government aims to generate additional annual growth of 1.5 percent over the next decade through the Fund, which was recently launched with an initial paid-in capital of 50 million Turkish Liras ($16 million). Ankara wants the Fund to manage $200 billion in assets as soon as possible.

Collateral to secure funding for big projects:

The Sovereign Wealth Fund will be able to use the stakes as collateral to secure funding for major infrastructure projects, a senior official told Reuters.

“There will be a search for credit abroad to implement very big projects in the period ahead,” the official said, as quoted by Reuters.

“Turkey’s most important companies have been transferred to the Sovereign Wealth Fund. It will be possible to secure credit at low rates for these projects by offering the shares in these companies as a guarantee,” the official added.

The official did not specify which type of projects the Wealth Fund may help finance.

Deputy Prime Minister Numan Kurtulmuş said the Cabinet took the step to run the companies “more effectively.”

“We also aim to raise the financial resources in the hands of the state through this move,” he said in a press meeting on Feb. 6 following the cabinet meeting.

No audit on the Fund:

The Fund will, however, not be subject to review by the court of auditors, according to critics.

While sovereign wealth funds are often associated with oil-rich countries such as Norway or Gulf states, Turkey imports almost all of its energy needs. Some economists have said Ankara could better spend the money by paying down a national debt that runs at roughly 30 percent of economic output.

The Fund is headed by Mehmet Bostan, a former finance sector executive who was appointed head of the Privatization Administration (ÖİB) board last year. A top adviser to President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, Yiğit Bulut, Borsa Istanbul Chair and Chief Executive Officer Himmet Karadağ, and academics Kerem Alkin and Oral Erdoğan have been appointed to the board of the Wealth Fund, according to the trade registry.
February/06/2017
UNQUOTE
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.

MalevTU134

Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:15 pm

mafaky wrote:
In my opinion rather bad and alarming news (in general as well as specificly on behalf of THY). Sorry it's longish quotation but if given only by a link, not too many will read fully and interprete! :cry:

Turkey has transferred stakes worth billions of dollars in Ziraat Bank, the Borsa Istanbul Stock Exchange, Turkish Airlines and state-owned pipeline operator BOTAŞ, among others, to a new Sovereign Wealth Fund, in a bid to help finance giant infrastructure projects.

The transfers were announced in two separate statements on Feb. 5 and 6, stirring strong criticism from various opposition deputies and economists, mainly due to its audit-free structure and a complicated financing structure, along with the Treasury and the Finance Ministry, which may pave the way for destruction to the country’s fiscal discipline.

The state’s 49.1 percent stake in flag carrier Turkish Airlines - worth roughly $1 billion - and its 51.1 percent of lender Halkbank - worth some $2 billion - have been transferred to the Fund, a statement from the government’s privatization administration said on Feb. 6.

Stakes in state-owned Ziraat Bank, the country’s biggest lender, the Borsa Istanbul stock exchange and state-owned pipeline operator BOTAŞ have also been transferred, according to an announcement on the Official Gazette on Feb. 5.

Other assets that were moved to the Fund include stakes in fixed-line operator Türk Telekom, oil company TPAO, the PTT post office, satellite communications company TÜRKSAT, Eti Maden - the mining company and tea producer ÇAYKUR.

Some 3 billion liras of funds under the control of the Defense Industry Support Fund will also be transferred, according to the Official Gazette. Some 2.3 million square meters of land, owned by the treasury and located in tourism sites, have also been transferred to the Fund.

The value of the transferred assets is estimated at over 31 billion Turkish Liras ($8 billion).

The government aims to generate additional annual growth of 1.5 percent over the next decade through the Fund, which was recently launched with an initial paid-in capital of 50 million Turkish Liras ($16 million). Ankara wants the Fund to manage $200 billion in assets as soon as possible.

Collateral to secure funding for big projects:

The Sovereign Wealth Fund will be able to use the stakes as collateral to secure funding for major infrastructure projects, a senior official told Reuters.

“There will be a search for credit abroad to implement very big projects in the period ahead,” the official said, as quoted by Reuters.

“Turkey’s most important companies have been transferred to the Sovereign Wealth Fund. It will be possible to secure credit at low rates for these projects by offering the shares in these companies as a guarantee,” the official added.

The official did not specify which type of projects the Wealth Fund may help finance.

Deputy Prime Minister Numan Kurtulmuş said the Cabinet took the step to run the companies “more effectively.”

“We also aim to raise the financial resources in the hands of the state through this move,” he said in a press meeting on Feb. 6 following the cabinet meeting.

No audit on the Fund:

The Fund will, however, not be subject to review by the court of auditors, according to critics.

While sovereign wealth funds are often associated with oil-rich countries such as Norway or Gulf states, Turkey imports almost all of its energy needs. Some economists have said Ankara could better spend the money by paying down a national debt that runs at roughly 30 percent of economic output.

The Fund is headed by Mehmet Bostan, a former finance sector executive who was appointed head of the Privatization Administration (ÖİB) board last year. A top adviser to President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, Yiğit Bulut, Borsa Istanbul Chair and Chief Executive Officer Himmet Karadağ, and academics Kerem Alkin and Oral Erdoğan have been appointed to the board of the Wealth Fund, according to the trade registry.
February/06/2017
UNQUOTE

Without knowing the companies involved very well, nor what the money will be used for, i.e. what the investments will be (which really is a key issue here...and nobody else seems to know either), it is worrying if the fund will not be audited.

Having said that, a national debt (foreign and domestic?) of 30% of GDP would be the envy of most (if not all) countries in Europe...

mafaky

Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:44 pm

I'm not totally sure about the contents of the so called "national debt"; whether it includes all domestic and foreign loans or not. But I'm pretty sure that phrase includes only the loans where the State is directly involved in. Other loans taken by the Private sector (maybe even those taken by the individual Municipalities but not counter guaranteed by the State/Treasury) are definitely excluded by definition...

So as a "whole" Turkey's debts are mouth watering!... :ziplip: :banghead:

leftyboarder

Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:56 am

mafaky wrote:
I'm not totally sure about the contents of the so called "national debt"; whether it includes all domestic and foreign loans or not. But I'm pretty sure that phrase includes only the loans where the State is directly involved in. Other loans taken by the Private sector (maybe even those taken by the individual Municipalities but not counter guaranteed by the State/Treasury) are definitely excluded by definition...

So as a "whole" Turkey's debts are mouth watering!... :ziplip: :banghead:

It doesn't include private sector debt, just gov't debt. But still a good ratio. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debt-to-GDP_ratio However, with our artificially low interest rate (thanks to gov't pressure to save the construction sector), there is very little demand for Turkish commodities. So money flow has stopped. We need to borrow to pay debt as we run a budget deficit and not a surplus, so if we can't borrow with an interest rate that's lower than the original debt, our debt keeps on increasing.

Flanders

Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:38 am

TK787 wrote:
There are only few other destinations left on TK's Long Haul wish list besides MEX. Phuket is the only one I can remember.

I was just reading "skylife february 2017", it states TK will start flying to Phuket in july.

Greetings from onboard TK65 BKK-IST (A333)
Load 11/28 in J
3 f/a's working the cabin + 1 flying chef
Great service and fast internet :)

By the way: checked fares yesterday on my favourite route AMS-BKK and saw some TK J fares priced at € 1375 return. Thats just crazy imo.

mafaky

Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:24 am

Can it be that THY may be wet-leasing a 333 to PIA?

See: http://www.piac.com.pk/cms/BidReports/1 ... 20Body.pdf

Just few notes:
1) TC-JOM is the single 333, dry-leased from Afriqiyah, around mid 2015 for a period of 8 years.
2) The Sri-Lankan frame (as per the MSN) is the one already flying with PIA (for LHR Premier Services).
3) The J Cabin hard products in TC-JOM & that Sri Lankan frame greatly vary!
4) afaik, at the least during the last 20 years or so, TK has not "wet-leased" any planes to any other carrier...

leftyboarder

Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:28 pm

Jan 17 stats from DHMI out:

IST down 12% to 4.03m
SAW down 5% to 2.14m
ESB up 7% to 1.05m
ADB down 1% to 0.88m
AYT down 1% to 0.68m

Total down 5% to 9.29m

Odd that Istanbul area airports are suffering the biggest... Ankara and Izmir holding up for now. The drop in international is of course the reason - 14% at IST and 9% at SAW.

THY748i

Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:49 pm

Well, in IST and SAW the growth at the beginning of 2016 was still quite strong, AYT already having suffered from the Russian charter flight embargo. I think much more telling will be how July - December 2017 holds up against 2016

TK105

Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:49 pm

leftyboarder wrote:
IST down 12% to 4.03m
SAW down 5% to 2.14m

Holly........

This is no good. Government needs to make urgent decisions, the bitter ones I afraid.
The future is in the skies.

jmmadrid

Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:08 pm

TK105 wrote:
Holly........

This is no good. Government needs to make urgent decisions, the bitter ones I afraid.

Such as?

MalevTU134

Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:41 pm

jmmadrid wrote:
TK105 wrote:
Holly........

Such as?

Resign
:duck:

TK787
Topic Author

Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:36 pm

leftyboarder wrote:

IST down 12% to 4.03m
SAW down 5% to 2.14m

IST and SAW were under snow for few days during the snowmageddon. I wonder how many percentage points are due to that. And top that with the grounded TK planes, not that surprising of a result IMHO.

TK105

Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:42 pm

1. TK needs to revise 2017 targets immediately and shrink wisely. We will know more once TK numbers are announced around mid Feb.
2. PG needs to plan a shrink accordingly else they may face a possible ownership change or even worse (you know what I mean).

For now, tourism destinations (ADB, AYT, DLM, BJV) have seen limited effect of reduction. By end of april, normally tourism starts to kick into pax numbers as an early indication. So by first week of May, we can more or less guess what will the performance of Turkish Aviation in 2017.

By the way, looking at ADA (-4%), TZX (+1%), GZT (+2%), I have more concerns for future.

mafaky

Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:09 pm

IST and SAW were under snow for few days during the snowmageddon. I wonder how many percentage points are due to that.

If my memory serves me right, we also had several days of severe snowstorms in Istanbul, last year January. Maybe even more TK flights were cancelled compared to this year's. But the "tragedy" of this year has been different and for this year the honors go to DHMI/IST, for "effectively cleaning the runways!!!". :oops: :twisted: :banghead:

stylo777

Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:36 pm

leftyboarder wrote:

IST down 12% to 4.03m
SAW down 5% to 2.14m
ESB up 7% to 1.05m
ADB down 1% to 0.88m
AYT down 1% to 0.68m

Total down 5% to 9.29m

Odd that Istanbul area airports are suffering the biggest... Ankara and Izmir holding up for now. The drop in international is of course the reason - 14% at IST and 9% at SAW.

What is the breakdown of ESB (dom/intl)?
It's a nice boost to just over 1m.!
Wondering if the heavy domestic-diplomatic due to recent votings in the parliament is the main driver or rather the entrance of two new intl.players (saudia and ukraine)?!?

leftyboarder

Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:09 pm

stylo777 wrote:
leftyboarder wrote:

IST down 12% to 4.03m
SAW down 5% to 2.14m
ESB up 7% to 1.05m
ADB down 1% to 0.88m
AYT down 1% to 0.68m

Total down 5% to 9.29m

Wondering if the heavy domestic-diplomatic due to recent votings in the parliament is the main driver or rather the entrance of two new intl.players (saudia and ukraine)?!?

There was an unexplained 19% surge in int'l (mind you, this figure is still so low that a 19% rise means little).

TK105

Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:31 pm

stylo777 wrote:

Domestic is +6% (+50K) and International is +19% (+22K).

I believe domestic is mainly boost by growth of Anadolujet and ignited by government contractor business. As you may know, almost all large civil contractors' HQs are in Ankara.

International growth is mostly driven by QR & SV. Especially SV stimulates trips to religious centers.

Also high tech defence industry located in Ankara is seeing its brightest days that is generating remarkable emplacements and we can expect a steady growth for decades to come.

Other than these, both diplomacy or political activities are business as usual and I do not think that they have a major impact.

By the way, I afraid ESB numbers may be above AYT numbers by the end of 2017. I first realised it towards end of 2016 but looks like it may really be a possibility. I hope, I'm wrong.

TK787
Topic Author

Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:00 pm

Yakamoz wrote:
Yes, at the moment 3 B77W on the ground. JJP is grounded due to economic reasons, JJM for maintenance, JJK no idea.

Happy to annouce that I just got an alert that -JJM will be flying tonight's TK20 IST-PEK.

KarelXWB
Crew

Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:07 pm

RobK wrote:
TC-LJK 777 has been in storage at PAE since December and not expected to be going anywhere soon "due to poor economic situation in Turkey" (not my words).

The aircraft is not mothballed, maybe it's just short term storage?

TC-LJK Turkish Airlines Boeing 777-300(ER) - C/N 60402 / LN 1462 by Woodys Aeroimages, on Flickr
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

mercure1

Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:44 pm

Well for tourism in 2017, lets not forget Russians are coming back. Their government promised 6 million visitors in 2017 compared to only 800,000 in 2016.
Also I just saw yesterday how Turkey is again becoming top market market for Israeli tourist in 2017 - up 80%, and might get close to the record 558,000 seen way back in 2008.

Israeli tourists flock to Turkey amid rapprochement
http://www.timesofisrael.com/israeli-to ... rochement/

Plus Turkey continues to see growing interest for visitors from Arabian Gulf region.

So there are some bright signs in some tourism compared to 2016.

TK787
Topic Author

Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:03 am

TK787 wrote:
Happy to annouce that I just got an alert that -JJM will be flying tonight's TK20 IST-PEK.

Well, spoke too soon.
As of now, -JJM is not flying the TK20, but flew from SAW to IST, maybe soon on a mission.

Speedbirdasia

Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:51 am

According to Skyliner Aviation, it looks like the Jet Airways leased 330s are on their way back to 9W.
It's been reported MSN 882 TC-JIL is been prepared in IST. It would have been essentially leased for about 3 years.
One can expect the other two JIM/JIN to follow suit shortly.

Yakamoz

Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:38 am

TK787 wrote:
TK787 wrote:

Well, spoke too soon.
As of now, -JJM is not flying the TK20, but flew from SAW to IST, maybe soon on a mission.

Back in service, flying to Izmir now.

leftyboarder

Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:45 am

mercure1 wrote:
Well for tourism in 2017, lets not forget Russians are coming back. Their government promised 6 million visitors in 2017 compared to only 800,000 in 2016.
Also I just saw yesterday how Turkey is again becoming top market market for Israeli tourist in 2017 - up 80%, and might get close to the record 558,000 seen way back in 2008.

Plus Turkey continues to see growing interest for visitors from Arabian Gulf region.

To be honest, if all of Israel flew to Turkey and all the Russian tourists promised show up, that still wouldn't make up for the lost tourists. But let's hope. Of course, it all depends on the outcome of the referendum - if Turkey is perceieved as a dictatorship, we might see further declines.

OA260

Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:39 am

leftyboarder wrote:
mercure1 wrote:

To be honest, if all of Israel flew to Turkey and all the Russian tourists promised show up, that still wouldn't make up for the lost tourists. But let's hope. Of course, it all depends on the outcome of the referendum - if Turkey is perceieved as a dictatorship, we might see further declines.

You are correct while there are a small increase in tourists from Russia and Israel it is nothing compared to the 36.2 million arrivals in 2015. According to someone I recently spoke to at Turkish tourism they spend less then Western Europeans and Turkish hoteliers would rather have German/French/British in their hotels because they spend more. They want long term steady income and contracts with major tour operators because they are hurting. Its sad to see and they work so hard to promote and increase business against a back drop of events outside their control.

leftyboarder

Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:14 am

OA260 wrote:
leftyboarder wrote:
mercure1 wrote:

You are correct while there are a small increase in tourists from Russia and Israel it is nothing compared to the 36.2 million arrivals in 2015. According to someone I recently spoke to at Turkish tourism they spend less then Western Europeans and Turkish hoteliers would rather have German/French/British in their hotels because they spend more. They want long term steady income and contracts with major tour operators because they are hurting. Its sad to see and they work so hard to promote and increase business against a back drop of events outside their control.

Correct. Russian tour operators are not as established as their Western counterparts and they go in and out of business so they don't generate a steady flow of income. Turkey needs Thomas Cook, TUI, Kuoni, Alltours etc. And of course Turkey needs to abandon the package holiday approach and open up the country to tourism the way Italy did. I am sure the percentage of package tours is much lower in Italy and the money spent per tourist is conversely higher.

AviationRhys

Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:07 am

Pegasus ending Gatwick operation next month

TK787
Topic Author

Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:01 am

TK787 wrote:
Yakamoz wrote:
Yes, at the moment 3 B77W on the ground. JJP is grounded due to economic reasons, JJM for maintenance, JJK no idea.

Well.... -JJM took to the skies yesterday and today it was -JJK's turn. It is flying IST-CAN TK72 tonight.

yultopei

Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:10 am

Anybody know how many 777 are still with Comfort class in the fleet. I just call THY for my booking selection on IST-BOM flight in april 22 and she gave me seat 17th??? and no seat 17th on seatguru map?
PEI in Colombia!!!. [Canon T2i]

Turkish777X

Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:18 am

There no is non with comfort anymore!

kitplane01

Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:57 am

Culture question: Are female Turkish Airline employees required or encouraged to wear head coverings? I've never been on Turkish Airlines.

MalevTU134

Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:16 am

kitplane01 wrote:
Culture question: Are female Turkish Airline employees required or encouraged to wear head coverings? I've never been on Turkish Airlines.

If you mean flight attendants, then no. During my over 100 TK long-haul and short-haul flights, I have yet to see a flight attendant, or airport employee wearing head coverings.

Having said that, there is a worse problem at TK when it comes to women: they are discriminated against when it comes to promotion. As an example, there is exactly one (1) female city manager at TK, worldwide. That's down from dozens a few years back. City manager, because TK has their own Turkish staff at every station they operate into, each run as a small fiefdom.

LAXintl

Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:42 am

MalevTU134 wrote:
kitplane01 wrote:
Having said that, there is a worse problem at TK when it comes to women: they are discriminated against when it comes to promotion. As an example, there is exactly one (1) female city manager at TK, worldwide. That's down from dozens a few years back. City manager, because TK has their own Turkish staff at every station they operate into, each run as a small fiefdom.

Non-sense. There are plenty of women in various roles including leadership.

Until recently the VP/General Manager of US stations was female. Over her 21 years at TK she earned increasing leadership roles including country manager in two European nations over 6-years.

One of seven non-executive board members is female. How many female board members are there in US airlines for example?

Multiple department heads are also female.

As far as overseas post, sure there are less females, but that is as much a fact of lower female participation rate in labor force in Turkey (29% in 2014 per World Bank), but also overseas assignment career path is not the most conducive for families.
A very large number of the male overseas managers are single, as they are sent like diplomats from one assignment to another after 2-3 years, so its not very stable. Also assignments can often be in quite undesirable locations such as growing Africa network.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

kitplane01

Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:00 am

LAXintl wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:
kitplane01 wrote:

Non-sense. There are plenty of women in various roles including leadership.

Until recently the VP/General Manager of US stations was female. Over her 21 years at TK she earned increasing leadership roles including country manager in two European nations over 6-years.

One of seven non-executive board members is female. How many female board members are there in US airlines for example?

Multiple department heads are also female.

As far as overseas post, sure there are less females, but that is as much a fact of lower female participation rate in labor force in Turkey (29% in 2014 per World Bank), but also overseas assignment career path is not the most conducive for families.
A very large number of the male overseas managers are single, as they are sent like diplomats from one assignment to another after 2-3 years, so its not very stable. Also assignments can often be in quite undesirable locations such as growing Africa network.

Please be more careful ... I didn't write the thing you're quoting me as having written.

djxxa

Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:23 am

MalevTU134 wrote:
kitplane01 wrote:

If you mean flight attendants, then no. During my over 100 TK long-haul and short-haul flights, I have yet to see a flight attendant, or airport employee wearing head coverings.

Google TK flight attendant and see for yourself if they wear head scraves :roll:
Eventhough some things may be facts, you still have to proove it's discrimination in stead of labeling it so. To my knowledge TK has promoted women just like they would have men in the scope of the company.

RobK

Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:25 am

KarelXWB wrote:
RobK wrote:
TC-LJK 777 has been in storage at PAE since December and not expected to be going anywhere soon "due to poor economic situation in Turkey" (not my words).

The aircraft is not mothballed, maybe it's just short term storage?

Hi Karel, those are your words about it being mothballed, not mine! It is parked/stored (call it what you will) round the back of the delivery centre which is not a location they put them if they're in/about to enter production testing and delivery. According to a post from a reliable source, delivery has been deferred indefinitely.

KarelXWB
Crew

Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:45 am

RobK wrote:
Hi Karel, those are your words about it being mothballed, not mine!

I did not suggest it were your words, it was just an observation.

It is parked/stored (call it what you will) round the back of the delivery centre which is not a location they put them if they're in/about to enter production testing and delivery. According to a post from a reliable source, delivery has been deferred indefinitely.

Usually aircraft get mothballed when they enter long-term storage.

KarelXWB
Crew

Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:47 pm

TK receives a brand new A330 freighter today:

Airbus A330 -243F 1768 TC-JOZ Turkish Airlines delivery 09feb17 TLS-IST ex F-WWYL

Thenoflyzone

Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:11 pm

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... f-08feb17/

Hardly surprising, although someone on here (or another AC thread ) was clearly thinking somehow that AC's YYZ-IST was a good performer, since the route got bumped to the B789 instead of the B788.

This route will more than likely disappear after the summer season.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

Thenoflyzone

Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:54 pm

^

*cough* ankaraflyjet *cough*
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos