Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

KarelXWB
Topic Author

Wow Air: new fares, bigger J seats

Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:40 pm

According to the article below, Wow Air will soon introduce a new set of fares.

WOW Basic - included in the price of flights and a small bag (eg small backpack, purse or fartölvutaska; maximum dimensions: 42x32x25 cm).
WOW Plus - included in the price of the flight, a small bag / wallet, hand luggage 12 kg (56x45x25 cm), 20 kg checked baggage and cancellation protection.
WOW Biz - included in the price of the flight, a small bag / wallet, hand baggage, 12 kg, 20 kg checked baggage, sætaval (the largest seat is available in each case), priority boarding and meal on board.

The same article also claims Wow Air will introduce a larger business class seat on the A330 fleet. Pitch will be up to 37" - up from 30" currently - and the seat will be wider as well. Three seat types will be available for booking: the "big seat" (37"), XXL (35-37") and XL (32-34").

"The WOW Biz route will be Airbus 330 aircraft possible to book especially wider and larger seats that will be called Big Seat. The seats are equipped with passenger comfort in the forefront and offer even more legroom and footrest. This is the first time in the history of WOW air that such seats are available. Legroom new seats will be 37 inches, compared to the traditional seat of sætisbil of 30 inches, "the announcement WOW air. Business Seats in other machines of the company; Airbus A320 and Airbus A321, will XXL seats with additional seats range, 35-37 inches.

Will continue to be available to purchase seats with additional seats space alone. They are as follows: Big seat (37 inches), XXL (35-37 inches) and XL (32-34 inches).

* Translated via Google Translate

Source
http://www.mbl.is/vidskipti/frettir/201 ... angurshei/

Natflyer

Re: Wow Air: new fares, bigger J seats

Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:45 pm

Not J class by any means at 37". How many seats will they lose in each a/c type will be interesting to see.

B747forever

Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:49 pm

Natflyer wrote:
Not J class by any means at 37". How many seats will they lose in each a/c type will be interesting to see.

Well that will still be much better than the joke of J class Euro carriers offer on intra-European routes.

Eindhoven

Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:29 pm

I just hope they manage to keep the fares low enough. I don't need 37", 30" is more than enough. If this much more legroom makes them more expensive they will lose costomers.

mutu

Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:21 pm

B747forever wrote:
Natflyer wrote:

Well that will still be much better than the joke of J class Euro carriers offer on intra-European routes.

Different markets. The average sector length of the Euro carriers shorthaul flying is probably 60- 90 minutes, lots of "commuter type flying" where business loads can be 40 pax in one direction then 4 on the return They really have no option but to use the flexi-seating model they have all pretty much adopted which requires seats can covert from Y to J quickly.

Its not a joke - its a sensible solution

Cubsrule

Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:27 pm

mutu wrote:
B747forever wrote:
Natflyer wrote:

Different markets. The average sector length of the Euro carriers shorthaul flying is probably 60- 90 minutes, lots of "commuter type flying" where business loads can be 40 pax in one direction then 4 on the return They really have no option but to use the flexi-seating model they have all pretty much adopted which requires seats can covert from Y to J quickly.

Its not a joke - its a sensible solution

Their operational reliability, however, remains a joke. As long as the meltdowns like they had over Christmas continue, the onboard product probably does not matter much, as they are not going to attract anyone but the most price-sensitive travelers.

toobz

Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:39 pm

B747forever wrote:
Natflyer wrote:

I'll take a Euro carrier biz class any day over domestic first in the US.

B747forever

Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:01 pm

toobz wrote:
B747forever wrote:
Natflyer wrote:

Well good for you. Hope you will enjoy that 30 inch pitch on your next J class trip.

767333ER

Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:05 pm

B747forever wrote:
toobz wrote:
B747forever wrote:

Well good for you. Hope you will enjoy that 30 inch pitch on your next J class trip.

And the sad exuse they have for a J seat. I think it was funny that people were crucifying Rouge who no longer uses that style and WS (who doesn't call it J thankfully) for using it, but when they use it in Europe, very little complain.

theSFOspotter

Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:06 pm

Hopefully they add wifi when they refit these aircraft.

jumbojet

Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:25 pm

maybe Wow should call it an E + cabin instead of a J cabin. The product seems more in line with what a E + would have

kelvin933

Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:32 pm

jumbojet wrote:
maybe Wow should call it an E + cabin instead of a J cabin. The product seems more in line with what a E + would have

Wow calls it "Big seat" not J cabin

hOMSaR

Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:42 pm

toobz wrote:
B747forever wrote:

Having flowing intra-Europe business class on TK, OS and LH, I didn't really notice anything better about the service on those carriers vs. standard domestic F in the US. But the seats are many times better on US domestic F than intra-European J.

airbazar

Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:57 pm

hOMSaR wrote:
Having flowing intra-Europe business class on TK, OS and LH, I didn't really notice anything better about the service on those carriers vs. standard domestic F in the US. But the seats are many times better on US domestic F than intra-European J.

You're comparing J class with F class, apples and oranges. The only thing they have in common is that they are both a joke for what they call themselves, save for a few exceptions. I will never pay or waste points on a U.S. domestic F ticket. However, I don't understand why only 30" pitch in Euro J.

Having said that, customers in Europe aren't demanding better seats so the airlines have zero incentive to provide it. As someone said, on such small sectors the larger seat is not really a necessity given that the average European isn't as wide as the average American. It's the same reason why SUV's are so prevalent here but not in Europe. It's all about the size of the rear-end of the average customer.

jumbojet

Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:00 pm

kelvin933 wrote:
jumbojet wrote:

Wow calls it "Big seat" not J cabin

doesn't Spirit call their up front section the same thing/?

hOMSaR

Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:08 pm

airbazar wrote:
You're comparing J class with F class, apples and oranges.

I was just responding to the poster who said he'd take European J over US F.

XLA2008

Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:16 pm

B747forever wrote:
Natflyer wrote:

US Carriers domestic J (which is sold as F) isn't much better!
Last edited by XLA2008 on Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XLA2008

Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:19 pm

airbazar wrote:
hOMSaR wrote:

You're comparing J class with F class, apples and oranges. The only thing they have in common is that they are both a joke for what they call themselves, save for a few exceptions. I will never pay or waste points on a U.S. domestic F ticket. However, I don't understand why only 30" pitch in Euro J.

Having said that, customers in Europe aren't demanding better seats so the airlines have zero incentive to provide it. As someone said, on such small sectors the larger seat is not really a necessity given that the average European isn't as wide as the average American. It's the same reason why SUV's are so prevalent here but not in Europe. It's all about the size of the rear-end of the average customer.

I think you will find that we drive more SUV's because gas prices here are half the price of the cost of gas in Europe if not more! Plus the overall cost of having a vehicle here is cheaper! Introduce European gas prices here and I would bet that you wouldn't see anywhere near as many trucks and SUV's on the road! I mean I drive a Suburban and I'm not a big guy by ANY stretch of the imagination!

Anyhow back on topic... most US carriers have F and premium Y and then Y, so closest comparison to J is US domestic F which in all honesty isn't really any different, only that it's more expensive, hard product has little difference between European J and US F, so it's a fair comparison! I don't think America does much better!

luftaom

Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:40 pm

The American airlines domestic F seats are much better than the 'J' seats on short haul European carriers. European 'J' is the exact same seat with the exact same pitch as economy with a blocked middle seat. F class on the American airlines domestic planes is a different seat to the economy seats down the back.

On a recent AA MD-80 flight - F was 2-2 whereas economy was 3-2 (or it could have been 2-3 - at any rate the F seats were wider, chunkier and came with more legroom). On a ERJ175 F class was 1-2 again with wider, chunkier and greater legroom than the 2-2 in economy class. In Europe the standard is the exact same seats throughout the plane with a movable curtain to designate J/Y.

Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:47 pm

XLA2008 wrote:
B747forever wrote:
Natflyer wrote:

Yes it is.

drdisque

Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:11 pm

So will this be a 2-3-2 seat on the A330, like some sort of true Premium Economy type seat? or is it still 2-4-2 but with more pitch?

XLA2008

Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:04 am

Varsity1 wrote:
XLA2008 wrote:
B747forever wrote:

Yes it is.

Well we can agree to disagree, but flying both as a flight attendant and flying for pleasure I've operated for both European and US carriers and can say European offer isn't all that different from the states!

mict

Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:58 am

XLA2008 wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:
XLA2008 wrote:

Yes it is.

Well we can agree to disagree, but flying both as a flight attendant and flying for pleasure I've operated for both European and US carriers and can say European offer isn't all that different from the states!

In my opinion, the premium hard product in the US blows the one in Europe... You get actual an actual J seat (or F as they call it here) vs an economy seat with the middle seat blocked in Europe...
I am from Europe and moved to the US 4 years ago so I have pretty good experience in both regions. But service wise, the difference is small I would say.

airbazar

Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:33 pm

XLA2008 wrote:
I think you will find that we drive more SUV's because gas prices here are half the price of the cost of gas in Europe if not more! Plus the overall cost of having a vehicle here is cheaper! Introduce European gas prices here and I would bet that you wouldn't see anywhere near as many trucks and SUV's on the road! I mean I drive a Suburban and I'm not a big guy by ANY stretch of the imagination!

Nope. That was true until about 20 years ago but today's compact SUV's and crossovers don't burn any more fuel than a typical sedan. Nevertheless, if you don't fit into it, it doesn't really matter how much fuel costs, does it? The reason people buy SUV's here is because they have big seats. It's as simple as that, and the same exact thing applies to airplane cabins. Why is it that most of the noise and complaints about 17" wide seats and 30" pitch on airplanes, comes from the U.S.? People are larger here. That's a fact.

mjoelnir

Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:04 pm

drdisque wrote:
So will this be a 2-3-2 seat on the A330, like some sort of true Premium Economy type seat? or is it still 2-4-2 but with more pitch?

It will be a broader seat, 37" pitch and 2-2-2 it includes checked baggage, carry on, food.

Polot

Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:18 pm

airbazar wrote:
Why is it that most of the noise and complaints about 17" wide seats and 30" pitch on airplanes, comes from the U.S.? People are larger here. That's a fact.

Because this is a website whose membership is dominated overwhelming by Americans. Having lived in both the US and Europe (Denmark) both groups complain about the same.

Also the seats of most compact/midsize CUVs are usually not any larger than what you would find in a sedan, and CUVs are quickly growing in popularity in Europe as well.

airberlin2017

Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:45 pm

mjoelnir wrote:
drdisque wrote:

It will be a broader seat, 37" pitch and 2-2-2 it includes checked baggage, carry on, food.

2-3-2 according Seatmap on CDG-KEF 26APR in the bookingengine.

TheGeordielad

Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:05 pm

I can't see them doing a premium economy like Singapore or Cathay P
But more like what United does economy plus.

XLA2008

Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:47 pm

airbazar wrote:
XLA2008 wrote:

Nope. That was true until about 20 years ago but today's compact SUV's and crossovers don't burn any more fuel than a typical sedan. Nevertheless, if you don't fit into it, it doesn't really matter how much fuel costs, does it? The reason people buy SUV's here is because they have big seats. It's as simple as that, and the same exact thing applies to airplane cabins. Why is it that most of the noise and complaints about 17" wide seats and 30" pitch on airplanes, comes from the U.S.? People are larger here. That's a fact.

Hmmm I think you will find that gas prices are still more than half the price of Europe in the USA which is a major contribution to why people drive gas guzzling cars... a MAJOR part! But argue that all you like, haha! Yes Americans are slightly larger to be PC than Europeans but that really bears little resemblance to driving a truck or SUV! You make it sound like everyone is morbidly obese and are enourmos giants that require SUV's just to fit into them.... and that just isn't the case! Jesus half the people that drive Tahoes and those huge Ifinities are soccer moms that are petit and average sized women, I stand my ground when I say the cost of gas and the cost of owning a car is much much cheaper than Europe which is why they drive big cars! America also has a big car mentality... I think you will find being FAT bears little resemblance on purchasing a truck or SUV, mentality and fuel prices will dictate 90% of that!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos