coolian2

Re: Is DL ready for the A350?

Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:35 am

alfa164 wrote:
I am surprised the "plum" accent color wasn't added somewhere in the interior of these new frames.

I guess if they're headed to Asia they don't need the Virgin tie-in
Bollocks.

compensateme

Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:45 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
Cebo29 wrote:
Up to 12/26 LAX to SYD is a 777LR. Will see what happens when the January schedule comes out.

There's nothing to stop DL changing that though to have an A350 on it by say October, I'm Not saying that will happen but have they announced a single long haul A350 route yet officially? SYD has been mentioned elsewhere as a potential route.

I really ponder why this topic ('when will the 359 service LAX/SYD') comes up so frequently.

DL has said DTW will be the first base and the 359 will replace the 744 by the end of the year. 6 aircraft will be on property then and there's three 744 routes (ICN, NRT, PVG).

So if LAX/SYD is to happen, it won't be until sometime next year. But Given that DL is the weakest performer on the route -- and the 359 isn't going to change that overnight -- I'm skeptical we'll see it in SYD soon.
You're not the CEO; you were a menial aircraft support mechanic intern, and that was four years ago.

jupiter2

Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:49 am

compensateme wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
Cebo29 wrote:
Up to 12/26 LAX to SYD is a 777LR. Will see what happens when the January schedule comes out.

There's nothing to stop DL changing that though to have an A350 on it by say October, I'm Not saying that will happen but have they announced a single long haul A350 route yet officially? SYD has been mentioned elsewhere as a potential route.

I really ponder why this topic ('when will the 359 service LAX/SYD') comes up so frequently.

DL has said DTW will be the first base and the 359 will replace the 744 by the end of the year. 6 aircraft will be on property then and there's three 744 routes (ICN, NRT, PVG).

So if LAX/SYD is to happen, it won't be until sometime next year. But Given that DL is the weakest performer on the route -- and the 359 isn't going to change that overnight -- I'm skeptical we'll see it in SYD soon.

Indeed, it's not like the route needs an upgrade, or a down grade for that matter. A refurbished 77L will be more than enough for anything in the mid term, or until DL needs to increase it's presence in Australia. The 77L is in it's element on the route, fill her up to the gills with pax and cargo and she'll do the flight easily and while the 200ER can do the flight, it won't carry the payload that the 77L can/does carry. As nice as a new type here would be, there just isn't any need for the 359 to be used to SYD.

ZK-NBT

Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:16 am

Sure the A350's will be used to DTW first. As I said LAX-SYD has been mentioned and with DL being the weakest on the SYD route a more fuel efficient could help if fuel prices go up. Sure a refitted 77L could do the job but do DL have other routes they could use a 77L maybe?

LAX772LR

Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:43 am

compensateme wrote:
But Given that DL is the weakest performer on the route
ZK-NBT wrote:
and with DL being the weakest on the SYD route

What is this based on?
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

ZK-NBT

Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:14 am

https://www.ausbt.com.au/delta-eyes-syd ... ass-suites

It doesn't state here that DL are the weakest but does state their intention to use the A350 to SYD at some point.

In terms of DL, AA, UA, VA though DL do have the smallest presence in OZ/NZ. Which again doesn't mean they are the weakest.

jupiter2

Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:28 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
https://www.ausbt.com.au/delta-eyes-sydney-for-new-airbus-a350-and-its-business-class-suites

It doesn't state here that DL are the weakest but does state their intention to use the A350 to SYD at some point.

In terms of DL, AA, UA, VA though DL do have the smallest presence in OZ/NZ. Which again doesn't mean they are the weakest.

They also have a JV with VA though, the SYD flights at least are metal neutral and it is hardly like the 77L is a fuel guzzler, despite what AI may say.

LAX772LR

Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:32 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
https://www.ausbt.com.au/delta-eyes-sydney-for-new-airbus-a350-and-its-business-class-suites
It doesn't state here that DL are the weakest

DL do have the smallest presence in OZ/NZ. Which again doesn't mean they are the weakest.

So then, with those self-admitted irrelevancies now behind us, I'll ask again:

What are actually you basing this "weakest" claim on?

keesje

Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:16 am

Delta has been flying A330s on long flights for a long time. A330 at HKG, 2009:

Delta / NWAC have a strong opportunistic tradition. Few expected them to e.g. move to 767's to China or cancel their 787's.

While the A350 seems destined for TransPac and the A339s for the Atlantic, you never know ..
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

FlyBigDeltaJets

Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:08 pm

Dalmd88 wrote:
Cebo29 wrote:
First A350XWB general familiarization training at OC3 started on 1/16. No signs of construction on the new Rolls test cell building next to TechOps.

The test cell construction should start soon. I think they were waiting to get the parking lots resealed and striped first. The test cell area was being used as parking each week while they closed a portion of the lot to do the sealing.

Test cell construction is slated to start in late 2Q17.

compensateme

Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:52 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
What are actually you basing this "weakest" claim on?

The DOT mentioned it when it rejected AA-QF. Read the tread for more info.
Mo
You're not the CEO; you were a menial aircraft support mechanic intern, and that was four years ago.

bmacleod

Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:30 pm

Responding to discussion title - I don't think any airline can be 100% ready for implementing a new aircraft into their fleet - though the A330 is somewhat similar so it shouldn't be a big adjustment.
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus

Cebo29

Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:22 pm

From what I heard in OC3, A350 is very different from the A330 specially the computer applications used to operate it. Hence training since 1/16.

zeke

Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:15 pm

Cebo29 wrote:
From what I heard in OC3, A350 is very different from the A330 specially the computer applications used to operate it. Hence training since 1/16.

Every airline is different to they way they operate we changed our A330 procedures two years before the A350 came in over two phases so the two were aligned from EIS. Other airlines have decided to run the A350 as an independent fleet so the preparation would be less.

If DL already use flysmart apps on the A330 it is very intuitive to use the A350 apps, MEL, FCOM, and performance are similar.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

Strato2

Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:18 pm

jupiter2 wrote:
As nice as a new type here would be, there just isn't any need for the 359 to be used to SYD.

Generally you wish to maximise the savings brought to you by your most advanced plane. So there is absolute need to deploy the A350 to the most demanding routes that it can do which make sense.

LAX772LR

Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:53 am

keesje wrote:

SEA-HKG didn't begin until 2014.

That A330 is either in mtx, or going to NRT.
Definitely not a transpac.

compensateme

Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:23 am

Strato2 wrote:
jupiter2 wrote:
As nice as a new type here would be, there just isn't any need for the 359 to be used to SYD.

Generally you wish to maximise the savings brought to you by your most advanced plane. So there is absolute need to deploy the A350 to the most demanding routes that it can do which make sense.

Given LAX/SYD is a marginal performer for DL, I doubt it's in a rush to place its newest product in the market -- it'll be offered in the markets where people are willing to pay the most for the product. While you may counter with "by offering a better product, DL will increase its performance in SYD," in the time period it takes to better develop the market (and there's no guarantee that'll happen), DL could lose its core consumer base by offering a subpar product.

The 359 won't be in SYD this year and given last year's decision to defer several 2018 deliveries, I wouldn't hold my breath for next year either. The 777 fleet will begin refurbishment soon, with updated D1 cabin and the installation of premium economy. I would be stunned if DL didn't go 10-abreast in the main cabin during the refurbishments. Alas, it's possible that a higher-density 777 may be a better fit for the SYD market than a 359.

Time will tell.

zeke

Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:55 am

The A350 would probably burn around 60 to 70 tonnes less fuel over LAX-SYD-LAX, it could turn a marginal performer around.

That being said I would expect them to operate the type over short sectors until they have sufficient crews numbers trained to undertake heavy long haul flights.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

MSPNWA

Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:56 am

flyDTW1992 wrote:
......According to who?

Oh, you know, the world?

LAX772LR wrote:
Considering that there is no "standard sense," nor any official source to determine what does, or does not, meet such a threshold.... let's just say:

Of course there is. Anyone that's been on this site for any length of time knows it.

Standard: "something established by authority, custom, or general consent as a model or example"

I know it hurts to admit, but I didn't make up the consensus. It's the first long-haul Airbus for a U.S. carrier. If you're going to call DL's A332 as a long-haul aircraft, you'll have to call their 763 a long-haul aircraft as well. Much less difference between those two than their A332 is to a 747/777/787/A340/A380.

LAX772LR

Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:45 am

MSPNWA wrote:
I know it hurts to admit, but I didn't make up the consensus.

Well, don't stop there... tell us: consensus of whom?
What's their accreditation? And why do they disagree with ACTUAL authoritative sources?

Like, say, Boeing for example-- who defined A-Market longhaul as beginning at 3900nm.

Or actual airlines, like Air France, who refers to its COI flights (several under 3700nm) as longhaul.
You can see it right here on their site, specifically defined as such:
http://www.airfrance.us/US/en/common/fa ... flight.htm

So who are you, as an abject nobody relative to the industry, to tell them that they don't know what they're talking about?
...especially using some cockamamie statement like "the world!" as your "evidence." :lol:

MSPNWA wrote:
It's the first long-haul Airbus for a U.S. carrier.

Repeating it isn't going to make it any less false than the first time it was said.

MSPNWA wrote:
If you're going to call DL's A332 as a long-haul aircraft, you'll have to call their 763 a long-haul aircraft as well.

*whispers* Psst, those do a lot of longhaul too.

Thunderboltdrgn

Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:45 am

LAX772LR wrote:
MSPNWA wrote:

What's their accreditation? And why do they disagree with ACTUAL authoritative sources?

Like, say, Boeing for example-- who defined A-Market longhaul as beginning at 3900nm.

Or actual airlines, like Air France, who refers to its COI flights (several under 3700nm) as longhaul.

So who are you, as an abject nobody relative to the industry, to tell them that they don't know what they're talking about?
...especially using some cockamamie statement like "the world!" as your "evidence." :lol:

MSPNWA wrote:

Repeating it isn't going to make it any less false than the first time it was said.

MSPNWA wrote:
If you're going to call DL's A332 as a long-haul aircraft, you'll have to call their 763 a long-haul aircraft as well.

Those ranges are pretty western Europe - > North Eastern US which Imo is a pretty good definition of longhaul.
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

flyDTW1992

Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:11 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
MSPNWA wrote:

MSPNWA wrote:

MSPNWA wrote:

What he said.

"Traffic flow, for which every airport-to-airport distance is more than to 4000 km."
Source: Eurocontrol https://www.eurocontrol.int/sites/defau ... ecasts.pdf

"Long-haul flights usually last over five hours."
Source: Air France http://corporate.airfrance.com/index.php?id=248&L=1

"Any flight that covers over 3,500km is long-haul."
Source: UK CAA https://www.caa.co.uk/Passengers/Resolv ... ul-delays/

While these are probably on the low end of the various definitions out there, they're a far cry from 14 hours. Personally I'd regard 14 hours to be nearing ultra-long haul, considering the fact that many of the longest nonstops in existence, operated by ULH equipment like 77Ls and 77Ws, fall into the 15-16 hour range.
Now you're flying smart

SESGDL

Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:41 pm

MSPNWA wrote:
flyDTW1992 wrote:
......According to who?

Oh, you know, the world?

LAX772LR wrote:
Considering that there is no "standard sense," nor any official source to determine what does, or does not, meet such a threshold.... let's just say:

Of course there is. Anyone that's been on this site for any length of time knows it.

Standard: "something established by authority, custom, or general consent as a model or example"

I know it hurts to admit, but I didn't make up the consensus. It's the first long-haul Airbus for a U.S. carrier. If you're going to call DL's A332 as a long-haul aircraft, you'll have to call their 763 a long-haul aircraft as well. Much less difference between those two than their A332 is to a 747/777/787/A340/A380.

You can create your own definition if you'd like, but SEA-HKG is long haul any way that you choose to slice it. Ultra-long haul? No, but it would be foolish not to consider a flight that verges on 14 hours long haul. While not originally intended as a long haul airplane, the A330-200 is operated as such by a number of airlines, DL being one of them. Do you also not consider DTW-NGO and DTW-PEK long haul? If you wanted to say this is the first time a US carrier operated an ULH Airbus then I would agree with you, being just stopping at long haul simply isn't true.

Jeremy

william

Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:54 pm

SFOtoORD wrote:
airboeingbus wrote:
With DL's first A350 currently under final assembly I was wondering if they are ready to accept the new type. It's been rather quiet regarding the order and I am just wondering what has been happening behind the scenes to add this new type and a new engine manufacteire to DL's fleet.

Nah, I heard they're just going to wing it. Figured they'd wait until arrived and have some maintenance dude (or dude Type) read the manual and put in the AA batteries. And then just surprise some passengers with a brand spankin' new plane on their route.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

flymco753

Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:58 pm

I would say the A350 routes will be DTW-PEK, NRT, PVG, ICN, and HKG. SEA-SIN, TPE, NRT. LAX-SYD, PVG. ATL-HNL.
Welcome to the city beautiful.

Flighty

Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:11 pm

Fine, I will ask: What are the longest routes ever flown by America's two A330-200 operators?

DeSpringbokke

Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:50 pm

Flighty wrote:
Fine, I will ask: What are the longest routes ever flown by America's two A330-200 operators?

DTW-PEK/NGO. I suspect DTW-PEK will eventually become a A350-900 route while DTW-NGO will stay with the A330-200 due to demand. If there wasn't a certain industry in the DTW area, DTW-NGO wouldn't exist.

compensateme

Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:05 pm

zeke wrote:
The A350 would probably burn around 60 to 70 tonnes less fuel over LAX-SYD-LAX, it could turn a marginal performer around.

The 359 might improve the operating economics of the flight, but in the short term it's not going to help with under performing average fares in the short term.

DL will likely use the 359 deliveries this year and part of next to phase out the remaining 744 routes. Where they go after that is anybody's guess, but I wouldn't expect to see the 359 on LAX/SYD until late next year at the earliest.

Like I mentioned earlier, DL has ten relatively young 77L frames that scheduled for refurbishment (updated D1, new premium economy) soon. It'd be surprising if DL didn't go 10-abreast in economy and given that DL needs to operate these aircraft somewhere, SYD may be the best market.

skyharborshome

Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:10 pm

This is why I am taking the 744 out of DTW to ICN in June. Out of the way from PHX however A) I want one last trip on her majesty and B) I am not taking a $&@@;/ 767 from Seattle to Seoul.
Fly CHD!

Flighty

Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:43 pm

It would be great to take a last 744 ride, but the Delta 767 has had a really good late career doing SEA-Asia, too. Totally disagree about the merits of it. DL uses an old, slow plane to deliver a great product, very cost efficiently. Shows how talented DL truly is.

744 deserves respect but I would rather take 763ER!

JeffinMass

Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:55 pm

What has DL done about the Trent test cell? When I visited I was told that the A350 Trent would not fit in the current cell. Does DL plan on selling any special flight tix for enthusiasts?

NeBaNi

Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:52 am

Flighty wrote:

Nitpick: AA, DL and HA are the three American A330-200 operators.

klm617

Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:56 am

I find it odd that Delta is not out there promoting this new plane for the Detroit market. Not a single word media wise as to the enhanced service this plane will provide for travelers heading to Asia. Call me a skeptic but until this plane is on the property here in Detroit I will not believe this will be it's base. First routes I still believe will be run out of Atlanta. If this plane is to be based out of Detroit then it should be flown directly to Detroit and introduced there. I personally think Delta is low key about Detroit and constantly promoting Seattle as they want travers to associate Seattle for their Asian trips rather than Detroit to build up that market.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

deltal1011man

Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:23 am

OA412 wrote:
It's not a new engine manufacturer. DL has a history of RR engined aircraft. The 772 fleet is RR powered, as was the large L1011 fleet.

The T800s aren't really touched in-house. Outside of things like filter changes and work cards done during the 777 PSV.....errr Letter check.....eeerrr what ever they are called this month.... the engines go to a vendor. (SAESL to be exact)
Also the RB211 has been out of the fleet long enough and is not even really comparable with the Trent XWB/Trent 7000. Also the V2500 (a lot of Rollers parts) are sent to vendors but I think they do some QEC work and such in MSP. Pretty sure DL can't run them in any of the test cells however. I don't believe DL owns any V2500 adaptors/bell mouths.

DL did just bring the BR715 engine in-house. At least I think they have started doing them by now. IIRC late 16 was the goal. (but again, has nothing really in common with the Trents)

The Trent XWB will be the first big engine DL does in-house. The Trent 800, GE90, PW4168 and AFAIK CF6-80E1 are all, or in the 80E1s case will be, sent to vendors. DL does do some sub-contract work on the GE90 in the CF6 shop, but can't run the engine in a cell or overhaul them. They will be able to run all of the above engines in the new test cell. If any come in-house is another question.

klm617 wrote:
I find it odd that Delta is not out there promoting this new plane for the Detroit market. Not a single word media wise as to the enhanced service this plane will provide for travelers heading to Asia. Call me a skeptic but until this plane is on the property here in Detroit I will not believe this will be it's base. First routes I still believe will be run out of Atlanta. If this plane is to be based out of Detroit then it should be flown directly to Detroit and introduced there. I personally think Delta is low key about Detroit and constantly promoting Seattle as they want travers to associate Seattle for their Asian trips rather than Detroit to build up that market.

As normal you have no idea what you are talking about.

DTW isn't a Delta maintenance base. Like all new aircraft deliverers the 350s will go to either ATL, MSP or a vendor for indoc.
You have been told before the first pilot base will almost certainly be DTW. Why you can't seem to comprehend that is beyond most of us.

JeffinMass wrote:
What has DL done about the Trent test cell? When I visited I was told that the A350 Trent would not fit in the current cell. Does DL plan on selling any special flight tix for enthusiasts?

As posted by FlyBigDeltaJets construction will start this year.

the current cells in Atlanta are limited to
2 small cells, JT8D-200s and CF34-3s
2 large cells, CF34-8, CFM56-3, CFM56-5B, CFM56-7B, PW2000, PW4062, CF6-80C2B8F. they might be able to run the PW4168 or CF6-80E1 but I don't believe to max power.

MSP is limited to the PW4056 for max power and can also run the PW2000, CFM56-5A, JT8D-200. Can't run the PW4060 or 4062 to max power.

LAX772LR wrote:
keesje wrote:

On top of that, that is a A330-300 not 200. A 300 sure as heck isn't doing a non-stop to the mainland. Even the 242t version.
keesje wrote:

Delta / NWAC have a strong opportunistic tradition. Few expected them to e.g. move to 767's to China or cancel their 787's.

While the A350 seems destined for TransPac and the A339s for the Atlantic, you never know ..

That is either a NRT-HKG flight or getting maintenance at the (garbage water) vendor in the pic behind the 330.

I don't think the 330s see much maintenance in HKG, pretty sure they mostly go to a crap vendor at SIN.

777Mech wrote:

All of the MX workcards have been completed, now it's just tying up loose ends until they submit the maintenance program to the FAA in March. The first delivery will be in late May, and it will promptly go back to Airbus Corporate Jet Center for 2Ku wifi installation. Should EIS in late September 1st.

I have a crazy Idea, maybe they could do that in Atlanta or Minneapolis

Ha just kidding.
Dalmd88 wrote:
The new engine shop for the Trent will be in the current TOC 1 hangar. Bay One has already moved out to the old Northwest hangar on the south side of the airport. Bays 2-4 will move in the next few months. Construction for the new shops I think has begun in the old Bay One space. I think the shop will be up and running in about a year with some contract engines.

I don't think they will be ready for engines till 2019s but I could be wrong.

Also I bet the guys in 1,3 and 4 are just thrilled to see the 737s and 757s leave and them be stuck on T-tails. I have a feeling 5 and 6 and 260 is going to get a mass influx of people trying to get the hell out of the NW hangar.

I know Bay 1 just looooooved the 319/320 when they got some of those.
kurtverbose wrote:

Also, they announced in 2015 that Delta would become an approved maintenance centre for Trent 7000 and XWB engines.

http://www.deltatechops.com/mro-capabilities/view/category/rolls-royce-approved-maintenance-center

From the presentation Delta/Rolls did, DL will also be doing Trent 1000s.

but neither the Rolls or Delta TechOps website backs that up. The TechOps web site is quite out of date in other areas too. Its missing the BR715 engine as well as the GTCP 191-9A APU and about 6 or 7 line stations. (BNA, MSY, MCI, DFW, RDU, ORD etc)
I really appreciate you always having my back and I hope you are watching over me. Hopefully one day I can be half the mechanic you were brother. Rest in peace and smooth tailwinds JL. Oh and screw Jane Fonda!

bluefltspecial

Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:36 am

LAX772LR wrote:
MSPNWA wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
Hardly. DL's been flying Airbuses on 14hr+ flights for years now.
And since they weren't splashing down short of the destination.... they sound pretty "true" to me.

14 hours at less-than-full payload is not long-haul in the standard sense.

Awww be nice, those were like, ya know, what do they call them now, alternative facts? Yeah. That's it.
Save a horse, ride a Fly-boy....

777Mech

Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:29 am

deltal1011man wrote:
OA412 wrote:
It's not a new engine manufacturer. DL has a history of RR engined aircraft. The 772 fleet is RR powered, as was the large L1011 fleet.

The T800s aren't really touched in-house. Outside of things like filter changes and work cards done during the 777 PSV.....errr Letter check.....eeerrr what ever they are called this month.... the engines go to a vendor. (SAESL to be exact)
Also the RB211 has been out of the fleet long enough and is not even really comparable with the Trent XWB/Trent 7000. Also the V2500 (a lot of Rollers parts) are sent to vendors but I think they do some QEC work and such in MSP. Pretty sure DL can't run them in any of the test cells however. I don't believe DL owns any V2500 adaptors/bell mouths.

DL did just bring the BR715 engine in-house. At least I think they have started doing them by now. IIRC late 16 was the goal. (but again, has nothing really in common with the Trents)

The Trent XWB will be the first big engine DL does in-house. The Trent 800, GE90, PW4168 and AFAIK CF6-80E1 are all, or in the 80E1s case will be, sent to vendors. DL does do some sub-contract work on the GE90 in the CF6 shop, but can't run the engine in a cell or overhaul them. They will be able to run all of the above engines in the new test cell. If any come in-house is another question.

klm617 wrote:

As normal you have no idea what you are talking about.

DTW isn't a Delta maintenance base. Like all new aircraft deliverers the 350s will go to either ATL, MSP or a vendor for indoc.
You have been told before the first pilot base will almost certainly be DTW. Why you can't seem to comprehend that is beyond most of us.

JeffinMass wrote:

As posted by FlyBigDeltaJets construction will start this year.

the current cells in Atlanta are limited to
2 small cells, JT8D-200s and CF34-3s
2 large cells, CF34-8, CFM56-3, CFM56-5B, CFM56-7B, PW2000, PW4062, CF6-80C2B8F. they might be able to run the PW4168 or CF6-80E1 but I don't believe to max power.

MSP is limited to the PW4056 for max power and can also run the PW2000, CFM56-5A, JT8D-200. Can't run the PW4060 or 4062 to max power.

LAX772LR wrote:
keesje wrote:

On top of that, that is a A330-300 not 200. A 300 sure as heck isn't doing a non-stop to the mainland. Even the 242t version.
keesje wrote:

That is either a NRT-HKG flight or getting maintenance at the (garbage water) vendor in the pic behind the 330.

I don't think the 330s see much maintenance in HKG, pretty sure they mostly go to a crap vendor at SIN.

777Mech wrote:

All of the MX workcards have been completed, now it's just tying up loose ends until they submit the maintenance program to the FAA in March. The first delivery will be in late May, and it will promptly go back to Airbus Corporate Jet Center for 2Ku wifi installation. Should EIS in late September 1st.

I have a crazy Idea, maybe they could do that in Atlanta or Minneapolis

Ha just kidding.
Dalmd88 wrote:
The new engine shop for the Trent will be in the current TOC 1 hangar. Bay One has already moved out to the old Northwest hangar on the south side of the airport. Bays 2-4 will move in the next few months. Construction for the new shops I think has begun in the old Bay One space. I think the shop will be up and running in about a year with some contract engines.

I don't think they will be ready for engines till 2019s but I could be wrong.

Also I bet the guys in 1,3 and 4 are just thrilled to see the 737s and 757s leave and them be stuck on T-tails. I have a feeling 5 and 6 and 260 is going to get a mass influx of people trying to get the hell out of the NW hangar.

I know Bay 1 just looooooved the 319/320 when they got some of those.
kurtverbose wrote:

Also, they announced in 2015 that Delta would become an approved maintenance centre for Trent 7000 and XWB engines.

http://www.deltatechops.com/mro-capabilities/view/category/rolls-royce-approved-maintenance-center

From the presentation Delta/Rolls did, DL will also be doing Trent 1000s.

but neither the Rolls or Delta TechOps website backs that up. The TechOps web site is quite out of date in other areas too. Its missing the BR715 engine as well as the GTCP 191-9A APU and about 6 or 7 line stations. (BNA, MSY, MCI, DFW, RDU, ORD etc)

You know good and well they're gonna outsource at every turn... I mean look, they have 5 paint lines going at AMA!

deltal1011man

Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:20 pm

777Mech wrote:
You know good and well they're gonna outsource at every turn... I mean look, they have 5 paint lines going at AMA!

Yep. Clearly the goal is to end up like Northwest but with an engine shop.

What they are doing to anyone in airframe maintenance is a slap in the face. Just look at the joke of a TOC1 replacement. Going from 4 tail in bays that can fit 757s or smaller and they can nose in 767s or smaller, to a hangar that the only airplane that fits in it is a 717.
Oh and the "we are doing all the L/C checks in-house" non-sense when they are sending 737s to VQQ and A320s to SAL for those "in-house" checks.

Hopefully what is happening in Atlanta will wake the hangar floor up. Probably not but hopefully.
I really appreciate you always having my back and I hope you are watching over me. Hopefully one day I can be half the mechanic you were brother. Rest in peace and smooth tailwinds JL. Oh and screw Jane Fonda!

777Mech

Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:15 am

deltal1011man wrote:
777Mech wrote:

What they are doing to anyone in airframe maintenance is a slap in the face. Just look at the joke of a TOC1 replacement. Going from 4 tail in bays that can fit 757s or smaller and they can nose in 767s or smaller, to a hangar that the only airplane that fits in it is a 717.
Oh and the "we are doing all the L/C checks in-house" non-sense when they are sending 737s to VQQ and A320s to SAL for those "in-house" checks.

Hopefully what is happening in Atlanta will wake the hangar floor up. Probably not but hopefully.

Add CWF to that list of cities. We shall see if they'll wake up, but after the profit sharing mess, morale has been pretty low as of late.

deltal1011man

Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:14 am

777Mech wrote:
deltal1011man wrote:
777Mech wrote:

Add CWF to that list of cities. We shall see if they'll wake up, but after the profit sharing mess, morale has been pretty low as of late.

good. That hangar has been told that C checks would stay in house. They haven't been. its either excuses or just plain lies about it.

"Well we don't have space." uh.....light bulb you just made 6 billion dollars you can spend 50M on a new hangar for the work. Had no problem dumbing almost double that into Mexico, and that complex is as big as the TOC.

What needs to happen is the VP of maintenance needs to stop coming from the engine shop. Its clear as long as they get theirs they don't care about component or airframe work.

Dalmd88

Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:04 pm

So true, I bailed out of TOC1 a year ago. I saw the future of t-tails in that old NW hangar and ran.

deltal1011man

Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:29 am

Dalmd88 wrote:

So true, I bailed out of TOC1 a year ago. I saw the future of t-tails in that old NW hangar and ran.

Smart move.

I bet the people in minny are happy. I'm assuming they will get the 37 and 57 lines. Pretty sure the bus already moved back up from bay 2 a while ago.

FWIW the bus is the best of all the narrow bodies to work on. Other the stupidity of the fasteners its so much better than the t-tails, 737 and 757. Rarely need a screw knocker. The MD and 757 are hell on open up day. 737s aren't much better.

One can only hope DL gets off its ass and either finds a way to get the Eastern hangar back from ASA or builds a new hangar. Once the MD88s are gone Atlanta is going to be hurting if they don't find some hangar space that the 737, 320, 757 and C-serise will fit in.

717s and MD90s aren't going keep 4 bays of work busy just doing c-checks.

KDTWflyer

Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:36 am

I bet, like the NW B744 IOE / EIS, they will fly the A350 from DTW-LAX and maybe other large DL operation centers. It will be interesting to see if they are on schedule with deliveries or if they run into issues. I am really curious to see what type of layout the Y cabin will be in. I really the 2 by whatever by 2 arrangement in Y for traveling with a companion. It seems like lots of A350 layouts are doing away with that which is not cool IMHO. Remember the NW DC-10 days? 2x5x2 in Y :D
NW B744 B742 B753 B752 A333 A332 A320 A319 DC10 DC9 ARJ CRJ S340

11725Flyer

Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:19 am

All I can say is that I can hardly wait until they entire DL's fleet.

Gemuser

Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:31 am

compensateme wrote:
zeke wrote:

The 359 might improve the operating economics of the flight, but in the short term it's not going to help with under performing average fares in the short term.
Like I mentioned earlier, DL has ten relatively young 77L frames that scheduled for refurbishment (updated D1, new premium economy) soon. It'd be surprising if DL didn't go 10-abreast in economy and given that DL needs to operate these aircraft somewhere, SYD may be the best market.

Of course saving 60 to 70 tonnes of fuel will help with under performing fares. The cost saving will mean its a better performing fare because of the lower cost.

If DL goes 10 abreast on B77L then they get scratched off my list of airlines out of Sydney, they were only still on it because of the 3-3-3 layout. That only leaves QF, VA, FJ, HA & UA IF they don't introduce their B77W to SYD and depending how their B787s are when I actually fly one.

Gemuser

DeSpringbokke

Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:37 am

Gemuser wrote:
compensateme wrote:
zeke wrote:

Of course saving 60 to 70 tonnes of fuel will help with under performing fares. The cost saving will mean its a better performing fare because of the lower cost.

If DL goes 10 abreast on B77L then they get scratched off my list of airlines out of Sydney, they were only still on it because of the 3-3-3 layout. That only leaves QF, VA, FJ, HA & UA IF they don't introduce their B77W to SYD and depending how their B787s are when I actually fly one.

Gemuser

With LAX likely getting some international expansion from Delta in the coming years due to the constraints at Seattle and the extra room to grow with the terminal move, I think it's a solid bet the second A350-900 base ends up at LAX instead of SEA. If LAX-SYD is only marginal for Delta using the 777-200LR, which makes me think how AA is doing on LAX-SYD as Delta has consistently had higher load factors than AA even taking in the account AA's 777-300ERs seat 19 more, the A350-900 should make a big difference in fuel burn as compared to the relatively gas guzzling 777-200LR. There was an article pushed a while back on Australian Business Traveler regarding Delta's D1 product on the A350-900. They told ABT they were "running the numbers" on LAX-MEL. Three years from now, its more likely than not we'll see Delta operating the A350-900 on multiple destinations from LAX, including LAX-SYD.

klm617

Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:23 pm

deltal1011man wrote:
Dalmd88 wrote:

Smart move.

I bet the people in minny are happy. I'm assuming they will get the 37 and 57 lines. Pretty sure the bus already moved back up from bay 2 a while ago.

FWIW the bus is the best of all the narrow bodies to work on. Other the stupidity of the fasteners its so much better than the t-tails, 737 and 757. Rarely need a screw knocker. The MD and 757 are hell on open up day. 737s aren't much better.

One can only hope DL gets off its ass and either finds a way to get the Eastern hangar back from ASA or builds a new hangar. Once the MD88s are gone Atlanta is going to be hurting if they don't find some hangar space that the 737, 320, 757 and C-serise will fit in.

717s and MD90s aren't going keep 4 bays of work busy just doing c-checks.

Come on now it's all good when it contribute more profit to Delta's bottom lines. If Delta thought they could make money by keeping maintenance in house it would. Remember if there is not a market where Delta can't make money it's OK for them to shuffle their assets around for them to make the maximum amount of money to keep the investors happy. For instance like have the lions share of their traffic to slow over ATL rather than to spread it more evenly around the system maintenance works the same way the most cost effective approach is the right approach and in this case it just happens to be outsourcing maintenance you can't have your cake and eat it too.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

KDTWflyer

Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:56 am

Also, I haven't seen this discussed anywhere, but does anybody have any idea what the new registration formation will be? I find it interesting that several years post-NW merger they are still registering new aircraft under N8xxNW format :)
NW B744 B742 B753 B752 A333 A332 A320 A319 DC10 DC9 ARJ CRJ S340

dtwpilot225

Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:20 am

I believe it's 501dn - 526dn

rbavfan

Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:50 am

Dldiamondboy wrote:
OA412 wrote:

Only the 8 ER's are Rolls powered. The 10 LR's are powered by the GE90-110B1L

yes the 8 RR are listed as 772, the 10 LR models are known as 77L. so yes all the 772 ar RR powered.

OA412
Crew

Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:31 pm

rbavfan wrote:
Dldiamondboy wrote:
OA412 wrote:

Only the 8 ER's are Rolls powered. The 10 LR's are powered by the GE90-110B1L

yes the 8 RR are listed as 772, the 10 LR models are known as 77L. so yes all the 772 ar RR powered.

Haha indeed. Which is why I specifically said 772.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos