Cebo29

Re: Is DL ready for the A350?

Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:50 am

N501DN (DAL#1) now undergoing final assembly at station 40. Getting closer to see a Delta painted tail soon.

Cebo29

Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:35 am

Now on station 30. Getting closer & closer!

Freshside3

Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:50 am

klm617 wrote:
bluefltspecial wrote:
While we're aware that DL plans to put these on Asia routes, any guesses on what routes they will be doing pilot proving on? I'd love to see them on the transcon flights from JFK, but I might be dreaming. They will have the new Delta One Suites and Delta Prem Economy so it would be right suited for that market... dare to dream, dream big I always say.

I would say something out of Atlanta.

My guess is they will try it on some domestic route from ATL, on a limited basis, then put it into the regular international rotation shortly afterwards.

Dalmd88

Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:11 pm

klm617 wrote:
deltal1011man wrote:
Dalmd88 wrote:
Also I bet the guys in 1,3 and 4 are just thrilled to see the 737s and 757s leave and them be stuck on T-tails. I have a feeling 5 and 6 and 260 is going to get a mass influx of people trying to get the hell out of the NW hangar.

So true, I bailed out of TOC1 a year ago. I saw the future of t-tails in that old NW hangar and ran.

Smart move.

I bet the people in minny are happy. I'm assuming they will get the 37 and 57 lines. Pretty sure the bus already moved back up from bay 2 a while ago.

FWIW the bus is the best of all the narrow bodies to work on. Other the stupidity of the fasteners its so much better than the t-tails, 737 and 757. Rarely need a screw knocker. The MD and 757 are hell on open up day. 737s aren't much better.

One can only hope DL gets off its ass and either finds a way to get the Eastern hangar back from ASA or builds a new hangar. Once the MD88s are gone Atlanta is going to be hurting if they don't find some hangar space that the 737, 320, 757 and C-serise will fit in.

717s and MD90s aren't going keep 4 bays of work busy just doing c-checks.

Come on now it's all good when it contribute more profit to Delta's bottom lines. If Delta thought they could make money by keeping maintenance in house it would. Remember if there is not a market where Delta can't make money it's OK for them to shuffle their assets around for them to make the maximum amount of money to keep the investors happy. For instance like have the lions share of their traffic to slow over ATL rather than to spread it more evenly around the system maintenance works the same way the most cost effective approach is the right approach and in this case it just happens to be outsourcing maintenance you can't have your cake and eat it too.

I really don't follow you. This has nothing to do with outsourcing. All that is happening is work done in MSP is moving to ATL, the t-tail C check lines. Work that was done in ATL Toc1 is moving to MSP; 737, A320 and maybe 757 C Check. All this to make room for a new engine line for the A350. The biggest complaint by most of the ATL mechanics is we pretty much all hate working on the t-tails. The other being the hangar the work is being done in is really a substandard dated structure that was due to be demolished. The deal for the hangar is only ten years. The hope is once the north cargo area is relocated DL can build another suitable hangar in the north pad.

deltal1011man

Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:11 pm

Dalmd88 wrote:
I really don't follow you. This has nothing to do with outsourcing. All that is happening is work done in MSP is moving to ATL, the t-tail C check lines. Work that was done in ATL Toc1 is moving to MSP; 737, A320 and maybe 757 C Check. All this to make room for a new engine line for the A350. The biggest complaint by most of the ATL mechanics is we pretty much all hate working on the t-tails. The other being the hangar the work is being done in is really a substandard dated structure that was due to be demolished. The deal for the hangar is only ten years. The hope is once the north cargo area is relocated DL can build another suitable hangar in the north pad.

Its actually both.

it is outsourcing work the company has said time and time again is better done (quality and price) in-house and them taking over the Southern hangar that is really only worth while for the 717. The MDs are really too long from the building and will have to be creatively parked from my understanding.

But DL has been sending 737, 757, 32S and MD c-checks to places like SAL, VQQ, IND and LCQ. Also because the paint bays are being filled up now with c-checks, mods and Delta North work DL can only do one line of paint in-house while sending 4-5 lines to AMA. Also a good bit of the reliability visits have been going to vendors too.
All of this work depending on who you ask *cough* Don cough* its being done in-house, nothing to see here or if you ask more lower level management its being sent to vendors because ATL and MSP just don't have the space.

either way its horse crap. Tony's grand vision of cutting airframe maintenance to nothing is finally starting to take shape.

IMHO DL got caught with their pants down. When they floated the idea of making TOC1 an engine shop they thought they would get ExpressJet to give up most/all of the Eastern hangar. That would have allowed them to move the 737 and 757 checks over there and probably get Delta North mostly out of bay 10 (again). Then taking over the Southern hangar would mean shifting 2-3 lines of T-tail work down here, sending all the bus work plus the much needed extra 737 line to MSP. They were also talking about doing more heavy work in DTW which should have cleaned up the paint hangar to that they would only have to send a line or two of paint out of a vendor.
When ExpressJet told them to pound sand it tossed a wrench into this idea. Now, IMO, the company is sending all this work that is suppose to be done in-house hoping that most of the mechanics won't catch on to it.

So now the company is stuck with basically a useless hangar for everything except the t-tails, and ~two lines of the work is going to quickly evaporate in 3 years when the MD88s are all gone. What happens to all those people working those lines? Something, IMO, the company is also hoping the mechanics don't figure out.

And FWIW the CS is also too tall to fit inside the Southern hangar. Which as you said is a dump. Most of the back shop space has been looked up and/or walled over because the place is an environmental waste land that the city of Atlanta was basically using as a land fill ("Recycling center") sense Northwest closed it down in 05.
unless DL starts on a new hangar, and pretty quickly more of the work that "wasn't leaving" is going to leave. But hey, at least I was wrong when i said it was going to TechOps Mexico, its going to AAR, TIMCO and Aeroman and the vendor at VQQ.

Oh and also note that outside of some drop in work and the government stuff the MRO work has basically dried up in Atlanta because they don't have the space.
be a good little boy and do as Demand Media tells you. sellouts.

ThReaTeN

Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:08 pm

keesje wrote:
Delta has been flying A330s on long flights for a long time. A330 at HKG, 2009:

Delta / NWAC have a strong opportunistic tradition. Few expected them to e.g. move to 767's to China or cancel their 787's.

While the A350 seems destined for TransPac and the A339s for the Atlantic, you never know ..

Anyone have any idea why what Turkish Airlines 777 in the background is painted with a non-Turkish (Egyptian?) flag?

raggi

Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:10 pm

ThReaTeN wrote:
keesje wrote:
Delta has been flying A330s on long flights for a long time. A330 at HKG, 2009:

Delta / NWAC have a strong opportunistic tradition. Few expected them to e.g. move to 767's to China or cancel their 787's.

While the A350 seems destined for TransPac and the A339s for the Atlantic, you never know ..

Anyone have any idea why what Turkish Airlines 777 in the background is painted with a non-Turkish (Egyptian?) flag?

I guess that it's an Indian flag and the 77W is a Jet Airways A/C preparing for lease with TK
Stick & Rudder

tjerome

Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:29 pm

What I've heard most recently is the first delivery will be in July now.
The comments and opinions expressed here are my own.
My FlightMemory

jumbojet

Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:30 pm

Cebo29 wrote:
Now on station 30. Getting closer & closer!

makes me want to jump on a flight to TLS. When will it get some paint and a test flight?

jetjack74

Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:22 am

Its kinda bizarre that IFS has no one trained on it. The instructors are supposed to be going to training on it in April and May and the 1st CQ classes to go through A350 training aren't scheduled until July.
Made from jets!

777Mech

Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:03 am

Dalmd88 wrote:
klm617 wrote:
deltal1011man wrote:

Smart move.

I bet the people in minny are happy. I'm assuming they will get the 37 and 57 lines. Pretty sure the bus already moved back up from bay 2 a while ago.

FWIW the bus is the best of all the narrow bodies to work on. Other the stupidity of the fasteners its so much better than the t-tails, 737 and 757. Rarely need a screw knocker. The MD and 757 are hell on open up day. 737s aren't much better.

One can only hope DL gets off its ass and either finds a way to get the Eastern hangar back from ASA or builds a new hangar. Once the MD88s are gone Atlanta is going to be hurting if they don't find some hangar space that the 737, 320, 757 and C-serise will fit in.

717s and MD90s aren't going keep 4 bays of work busy just doing c-checks.

Come on now it's all good when it contribute more profit to Delta's bottom lines. If Delta thought they could make money by keeping maintenance in house it would. Remember if there is not a market where Delta can't make money it's OK for them to shuffle their assets around for them to make the maximum amount of money to keep the investors happy. For instance like have the lions share of their traffic to slow over ATL rather than to spread it more evenly around the system maintenance works the same way the most cost effective approach is the right approach and in this case it just happens to be outsourcing maintenance you can't have your cake and eat it too.

The GM for MRO services said that "we are going away from airframe maintenance because it isn't cost effective/delta wouldn't make any money off of it and they don't want to tie up hangar space for customer aircraft. They aren't even bidding for a lot of the work that is out there.

We're doing a lease return on 2 GOL 737s only because GOL couldn't find abyone to do it. It was thrown in at the last minute.

11725Flyer

Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:04 am

To answer your question, yes.

PWMRamper

Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:04 am

Assuming DTW does get them as anticipated, do you think NRT-SIN and NRT-MNL will see the A350 in the future?

NRT-SIN used to be the 747, as did NRT-MNL. Hell, MNL was 2x Daily 747 before they axed NGO-MNL.

Both of these are just 763ERs now...a huge loss of seats in the recent past.

hkcanadaexpat

Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:20 am

PWMRamper wrote:
do you think NRT-SIN and NRT-MNL will see the A350 in the future?

The odds are probably higher that those two routes will be cut rather than see the A350 anytime in the future. No secret about DL's move towards closing (or significantly downsizing) the NRT hub and instead route traffic through SEA or (soon to be JV partner) KE in ICN.

amirs

Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:37 pm

Any chances we might see a JFK -HKG nonstop with an A350?

And what about putting the A350 to TLV, now that UA is highly rumored to be putting 77W on the route from EWR and maybe even SFO

LAX772LR

Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:22 am

amirs wrote:

Probably not anytime soon.

They're far more likely to relaunch DTW-HKG long before challenging CX/UA in NYC, for a market that DL's always been so historically weak (and has no partner) in.
We'll discuss... later, if you somehow manage to survive that is. ~Sesshomaru

Dalmd88

Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:29 pm

jetjack74 wrote:
Its kinda bizarre that IFS has no one trained on it. The instructors are supposed to be going to training on it in April and May and the 1st CQ classes to go through A350 training aren't scheduled until July.

I'm not really surprised at that. We take delivery sometime in July. I bet it will not see service until August on even September. How long are the IFS classes? They can't be as long as the Pilot or Mechanic classes. Those two have to teach the entire plane as if the student has never been through Airbus training. All the IFS students have already been trained on similar Airbus products.

flymco753

Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:35 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
amirs wrote:
far more likely to relaunch DTW-HKG
This is actually frequently brought up around the DTW hub, we'll see if it happens, it's the perfect a/c type for this route.
Orlando, Florida KMCO

klm617

Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:21 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
amirs wrote:

Probably not anytime soon.

They're far more likely to relaunch DTW-HKG long before challenging CX/UA in NYC, for a market that DL's always been so historically weak (and has no partner) in.

Don't expect any growth in the Detroit-Asia market this aircraft will actually reduce capacity in the Detroit- Asia market with the loss of ICN capacity shifted to Atlanta and the rest over SEA to bring better yields to those flights as they further reduce their operations at Detroit.

LAX772LR

Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:11 am

flymco753 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
amirs wrote:
far more likely to relaunch DTW-HKG
This is actually frequently brought up around the DTW hub, we'll see if it happens, it's the perfect a/c type for this route.

Makes perfect sense for it. Hopefully they can make it a W with LAX, eventually.

Be a tough go against CX and AA, but fairly certain that the market could support 3 carriers if they're willing to bare initial response from incumbents.
We'll discuss... later, if you somehow manage to survive that is. ~Sesshomaru

KDTWflyer

Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:06 am

Does anybody have an idea yet about the proposed arrangement in Y for us poor plebes? The reason I ask is the 2 x whatever x 2 arrangement in the A332/A333 is so nice when traveling with a companion, especially for example my girlfriend and I because I MUST have a window (I'm sure others can relate on here) and she is always content with an aisle. I believe the arrangement of the DL A350s will be three by something by three, correct? Will there be a small section near the rear fuselage that has 2 seats to either side of the aisle e.g. B744s and B772s in the back?
NW B744 B742 B753 B752 A333 A332 A320 A319 DC10 DC9 ARJ CRJ S340

gloom

Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:46 am

Judging by other airlines, there's 2-3-2 at emergency rows, but the end point will probably be 3-3-3 till the last row. In the back section, it starts to get thinner behind last row, where toilets and galleys are.

Cheers,
Adam

planespotter20

Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:06 pm

Will there be any significant changes to the Economy seats? Or will we get just the same as the newest ones in other LH aircraft. I flew a 757 from JFK-PSA (TATL) and it had mood lighting and everything and was very nice. Hopefully DL can improve on that design and make it even better in their a350s. I am super excited for the day I see one!!

intotheair

Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:12 pm

gloom wrote:
Judging by other airlines, there's 2-3-2 at emergency rows, but the end point will probably be 3-3-3 till the last row. In the back section, it starts to get thinner behind last row, where toilets and galleys are.

Cheers,
Adam

Yeah, looking at the seat maps of current A350 carriers, it looks as though the plane doesn't taper enough at the back to cause a reduction in seats. LH, QR, AY, CX, and SQ all have 3-3-3 in the back rows.

I suppose if you are traveling with a companion and only want a seat of two, then at least DL will have the Premium Select (W) cabin. Who knows what that will be like, but I think it's supposed to be 2-4-2.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 CR2 CR7 CR9 Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

trex8

Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:52 pm

intotheair wrote:

Yeah, looking at the seat maps of current A350 carriers, it looks as though the plane doesn't taper enough at the back to cause a reduction in seats. LH, QR, AY, CX, and SQ all have 3-3-3 in the back rows.

I suppose if you are traveling with a companion and only want a seat of two, then at least DL will have the Premium Select (W) cabin. Who knows what that will be like, but I think it's supposed to be 2-4-2.

DL PE is 9 across
No you are correct it's 2-4-2
https://www.ausbt.com.au/delta-unveils- ... onomy-seat
Somewhat disappointing as even CI have 7 across

jumbojet

Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:19 pm

First Look. Pic of the Delta 350, here it is. Sorry but you have to click on the link.

http://news.delta.com/first-look-a350-d ... take-shape

BDL757

Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:30 pm

jetjack74 wrote:

I go to CQ in July and am hearing that it will be 2 days this year: 1 day of actual CQ and another day of A350 (and maybe CS100?) training. CQ from July onward will include this training. Anyone who went to training from JAN - JUN will get qualified on A350 at next year's CQ; unless you are DTW based in which case you will have to go back to the training center and get qualified at some point this year because DTW is the first A350 base. Again, this is just what I'm hearing from the rumor mill but it seems plausible.

tjerome

Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:45 pm

I really love the widget being on the winglet. Adds some flare to it.
The comments and opinions expressed here are my own.
My FlightMemory

jumbojet

Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:46 pm

ehaase

Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:36 am

I read on an airline pilots forum rumors that Delta may reduce its A350 order down to 15 or even 11. Although that forum is probably not the best source of information, often where there's smoke, there's fire. I suppose Delta could do that if (1) it shuts down the NRT hub, (2) relies more heavily upon its Asian partners, and (3) primarily uses the 330-900 out of Seattle.

DeSpringbokke

Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:00 pm

ehaase wrote:
I read on an airline pilots forum rumors that Delta may reduce its A350 order down to 15 or even 11. Although that forum is probably not the best source of information, often where there's smoke, there's fire. I suppose Delta could do that if (1) it shuts down the NRT hub, (2) relies more heavily upon its Asian partners, and (3) primarily uses the 330-900 out of Seattle.

Unless Delta plans on converting some of the A350-900s on order to A350-1000s, which has been speculated as a possibility for higher capacity routes such as LAX-HND/SYD, DTW-ICN/PVG, I don't see how Delta could reduce its order of A350s unless they decide to stop additional Asia flying or they convert the orders to A330-900 NEO on the basis it lives up to its range expectations, flying routes as long as SEA-HKG, thus eliminating any possibility of A350-900 out of SEA. NRT is on its last legs anyway with NRT-MNL/SIN/PVG left, with NRT-PVG inevitably giving way to either LAX-PEK or ATL-PVG. The President of Korean Air commented a few days ago that they are working with Delta to set up a JV between the two airlines. One of the reasons Delta is moving to T2/T3 at LAX is more room to expand their footprint, including LAX-Asia, competing head-on with AA's recent expansion. So I'm not taking this order change seriously.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos