Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airzim

Re: UA Plans LAX Push in Comeback Effort

Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:19 pm

jfk777 wrote:
CDG and Hong Kong have been tried before with lousy results, why do again what has not worked in the recent past ?

I was just listing old discontinued routes from the past that I could remember based on Laxintl’s hint. I guess you could say they were all disasters at one point considering they were discontinued.

CDG and FRA seem more highly probably, but maybe AKL given the JV in place with NZ.

HKG seems like there’s too much capacity already, and I think KIX was served once but can’t see that happening.

Or maybe CO’s old route to PPT? Again, highly unlikely.

FSDan

Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:28 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
jfk777 wrote:
CDG and Hong Kong have been tried before with lousy results, why do again what has not worked in the recent past ?

UA's very low-density 763s probably weren't the right airplane for CDG. Perhaps the 788 would do better.

I'd be willing to bet that whatever route is added will be on the 789 rather than the 788. LAX long haul is all 789 at this point. I know LAX-HKG was flown in the past. Was LAX-KIX flown at any point?

Cubsrule

Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:46 pm

FSDan wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
jfk777 wrote:

UA's very low-density 763s probably weren't the right airplane for CDG. Perhaps the 788 would do better.

I'd be willing to bet that whatever route is added will be on the 789 rather than the 788. LAX long haul is all 789 at this point. I know LAX-HKG was flown in the past. Was LAX-KIX flown at any point?

I don’t really disagree. The 789 is probably also better for CDG than a 763.

HeeseokKoo

Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:55 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Yes a new old longhaul route should be announced for summer 2018.

I'll be sadden if it turns out to be ICN. Just booked an award for whole family for next summer via TPE. UA used to serve LAX-KIX-Seoul long ago.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:59 pm

Keep in mind the circumstances surrounding many routes are quite different in 2018 then before.
For example, HKG was flown by costly and large 744 in 2008 when fuel spiked to $145/bbl. FRA was cut part of 2008/2009 global economic slow down. CDG was consolidated at SFO and probably was not flown by the right plane on a 763. AKL was dropped in 2003 with post 9/11 trauma. While markets like GRU and KIX were even a longer time ago
Last edited by LAXintl on Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

codc10

Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:06 pm

LAX-AKL wouldn't make much sense for a S18 start given the seasonality of the market.

LAX-CDG is very competitive with Norwegian and XL in the market for the long-haul lo-co's, plus AF, TN as incumbents and now Delta adding a LAX-CDG frequency. Not sure I see UA entering that fray.

If an Atlantic route, I would guess LAX-FRA, with UA assuming one of the LH summer-seasonal frequencies (perhaps the earlier A346 flight).

If Pacific, HKG probably makes the most sense, as opposed to KIX, despite HX entering the market and the dominance of CX/AA. I would expect to see EWR/ORD-ICN before LAX-ICN.

rnav2dlrey

Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:33 am

if UA is beginning service to a TPAC city it doesn't currently serve, it will be started from SFO before LAX - unless there's a compelling reason in LAX's favor.

the vietnamese population in and around LA is why i think LAX-SGN could be a winner. the question is whether vietnam's economy (which is doing well) can fill the front of the plane.

HKG seems obvious, but UA wouldn't have an F cabin on the route, whereas CX and AA both do. remember, all of UA's LAX int'l flying is on the 789. HX's entry only dilutes the market.

jetblastdubai

Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:48 am

LAXintl wrote:
Also by late Q1 the T7/8 terminal renovation project ends and will finally give UA access to all 21 gates.

How many gates does UA have access to currently?

LAXintl
Topic Author

Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:30 pm

United Airlines Secures Naming Rights to L.A. Coliseum in 16 year, $69mil deal.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/los-angele ... 1517248800

=

Should be good free PR during Olympics.

blockski

Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:59 pm

LAXintl wrote:

=

The Olympics don’t allow for corporate sponsors, at least not unless they are their sponsors. Arenas and venues get temporarily renamed all the time for the Olympics.

For example, during the 2002 Winter Olympics in SLC, the arena (then known as the Delta Center) was called the “Salt Lake Ice Center.”
Last edited by blockski on Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ual763

Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:15 pm

LAXintl wrote:

=

Wow! This is a lot of money! But good for them. A long time ago, back in college, I actually did a study on this sort of thing for one of my marketing classes. The main benefit of this, is rather psychological actually. Basically, what I found out in my study, is that it helps establish United, or whatever carrier has their name on it, as LA's hometown airline in the hearts of those who live there. It doesn't sound like much, but it does have an emotional effect on people over time as they buy tickets, no matter what they say. Definitely a smart move imo.

Sightseer

Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:20 pm

blockski wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

=

The Olympics don’t allow for corporate sponsors, at least not unless they are their sponsors. Arenas and venues get temporarily renamed all the time for the Olympics.

FWIW, UA is a sponsor of the US Olympic team. I don't know if that will be enough here, or if only official sponsors of the Olympics as a whole are allowed. I'm guessing the latter.

Any word on the new old long-haul route?

janders

Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:36 pm

Great job, cool to see UA turning the marketing up in Los Angeles.

Article says the naming and branded logo advertising will start August 2019, and its the largest naming rights deal in college sports (USC runs the stadium)

janders

Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:53 pm

Will be known as "United Airlines Memorial Coliseum"

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-usc ... story.html

LAXintl
Topic Author

Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:16 pm

Gotta say the name sounds more like United died, and the facility is a memorial to them... :hypnotized:

kgaiflyer

Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:40 pm

"Will be known as "United Airlines Memorial Coliseum"

No disrespect intended, but LA might want to bring the name into the 21 century and drop the "memorial" part.

'United Airlines Coliseum' rolls off the tongue better.

janders

Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:56 pm

I recall reading when USC took over the facility with their 100-year lease, the name was tied to it being a designated national historic landmarks, so they likely cant just drop the 'Memorial' portion

btw - Isn't Oscar a USC alumni?

kgaiflyer

Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:37 am

janders wrote:
I recall reading when USC took over the facility with their 100-year lease, the name was tied to it being a designated national historic landmarks, so they likely cant just drop the 'Memorial' portion

Yes - Class of 1982.

ldvaviation

Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:39 am

LAXintl wrote:

Best they could do for $69 million over 6 years.

(The cost of a new LAX front door in time for the Olympics seems to be $1.6 B. That is approximately what both Delta and AA are spending.)

ual763

Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:48 am

ldvaviation wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

Best they could do for $69 million over 6 years.

(The cost of a new LAX front door in time for the Olympics seems to be $1.6 B. That is approximately what both Delta and AA are spending.)

Idk if you're aware yet, but Scott Kirby has said United intends to have most or all of a future terminal 9 at LAX.

ual763

Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:49 am

kgaiflyer wrote:
janders wrote:

Yes - Class of 1982.

Great to see someone from the Delmarva area @kgaiflyer. I'm down near KJYO!

deltal1011man

Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:02 am

kgaiflyer wrote:

No disrespect intended, but LA might want to bring the name into the 21 century and drop the "memorial" part.

not to knock United at all

but no one is going to call it "United Airlines Memorial Coliseum" or even "United Airlines Coliseum". At least anyone in the sporting world will continue to call it the Coliseum.
The big benefit is the fact United and the logo will be all over the building and depending on how they do the branding, viewable on TV.

FSDan

Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:42 am

Sightseer wrote:
Any word on the new old long-haul route?

Add me as interested! It seems the window to announce a new route for Summer 2018 is closing soon, so I'd expect an announcement in the next few weeks if there's going to be one.

BAINY3

Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:06 am

deltal1011man wrote:
kgaiflyer wrote:

not to knock United at all

but no one is going to call it "United Airlines Memorial Coliseum" or even "United Airlines Coliseum". At least anyone in the sporting world will continue to call it the Coliseum.
The big benefit is the fact United and the logo will be all over the building and depending on how they do the branding, viewable on TV.

Broadcasters will be using the full name pretty regularly, or at least banners during sports broadcasts will use the full name. This will also include the 2019 L.A. Rams season (they are planning to move to a new stadium in 2020), not to mention all the USC games. Still a big audience, even though most regular people will just say "The Coliseum."

ual763

Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:28 am

So will United be the charter carrier of the USC Trojans as part of this deal? I'm not sure if they are already or not, but it would make sense from a marketing standpoint.

strfyr51

Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:08 am

TWA772LR wrote:
This should kill the "UA to dehub LAX" rumors. Kirby already knows a lot about LAX from his AA days. This is going to be intense!

Can we expect them to create a virtual SFO 2.0? Mirroring Chinese expansion as well as seasonal LAX-AKL during the northern summer to compliment SFO's winter seasonal AKL flight to keep some kind of year-round service?

United De-Hub Lax?? Are you kidding? We'll De Hub LAX when George Bush return to the presidency! /should have expanded LAX to equal SFO years ago!!

TWA772LR

Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:42 am

strfyr51 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
This should kill the "UA to dehub LAX" rumors. Kirby already knows a lot about LAX from his AA days. This is going to be intense!

Can we expect them to create a virtual SFO 2.0? Mirroring Chinese expansion as well as seasonal LAX-AKL during the northern summer to compliment SFO's winter seasonal AKL flight to keep some kind of year-round service?

United De-Hub Lax?? Are you kidding? We'll De Hub LAX when George Bush return to the presidency! /should have expanded LAX to equal SFO years ago!!

I never said UA will dehub LAX so I don't know what you're getting at. If anything I said they'll build it up and advocated that. All I said is the formerly persistent a.net rumor of that will die.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos