ldvaviation

Re: UA Plans LAX Push in Comeback Effort

Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:26 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
UA has near-exclusive use of 2, soon to be 3 terminals; and one, soon to be 2 FIS facilities. I'd say UA has a pretty decent set-up in LAX.

I'd love to see what destinations Kirby has in mind for the near-term out of LAX.

Soon?

Terminal 9 doesn't even appear on LAWA's list of probable future projects. That list was published last September for the LAMP EIR.

Two other brand new terminal projects did appear on the list, Concourse 0 and MSC South.

To put "soon" in perspective, this is what the timeframes are for those projects:

For Concourse 0, April 2019 to March 2023

For MSC South, 2020 to 2025.

(Terminal 9 is not happening soon.)

boilerla

Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:57 pm

hiflyeras wrote:
UA had their chance...they've given up gates but now they want to grow?

IIRC the T6 gates were reverting back to LAWA in 2018. UA may have wanted to keep them short term, but by 2018 those are LAWA's gates, so UA was sub-leasing them to AA for 2 years until LAWA got control.

hiflyeras wrote:
And the only way to do it is to build an entirely new terminal? Delusional.

Who says that's the only way to do it? Not Kirby. First, UA has 2 gates out of commission until the construction is complete this year. Then UA will begin optimizing their routes out of LAX to resume more O&D flying, probably eliminating some RJ routes or reducing frequency on them.

TWA772LR

Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:22 pm

ldvaviation wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
UA has near-exclusive use of 2, soon to be 3 terminals; and one, soon to be 2 FIS facilities. I'd say UA has a pretty decent set-up in LAX.

I'd love to see what destinations Kirby has in mind for the near-term out of LAX.

Soon?

Terminal 9 doesn't even appear on LAWA's list of probable future projects. That list was published last September for the LAMP EIR.

Two other brand new terminal projects did appear on the list, Concourse 0 and MSC South.

To put "soon" in perspective, this is what the timeframes are for those projects:

For Concourse 0, April 2019 to March 2023

For MSC South, 2020 to 2025.

(Terminal 9 is not happening soon.)

As long as United is dangling a billion dollar carrot for T9, LAWA can make it happen as soon as they want.
Eat 'em up Kats!

SFOtoORD

Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:31 pm

ucdtim17 wrote:
Freshside3 wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:

Should we queue up speculation of a return to JFK as part of this too?

And if we are going in that direction of logic, what about a return to OAK?

They quickly responded to AS starting SJC-EWR with their own nonstop. Now WN is starting OAK-EWR, perhaps we'll see a response? Although it seems unlikely they'd go there before the three closer midcountry hubs. To reopen the station, you'd think it'd have to be a substantial operation to make it worth their while. Seems unlikely though.

Good point. Would have to include a couple dailies to DEN or ORD to make it worthwhile.

jfk777

Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:51 pm

LAWA needs to come up with a huge redevelopment plan that would do to the regular terminals what they did to the TBIT. Bulldozing everything except the TBIT would be a good start. Terminals 1-8 were built so long ago 707 and Dc-8 were the state of the art planes, the airports terminals needs to change the way the planes they serve have changed.

jayunited

Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:10 pm

If this thread was about UA dehubbing LAX the DL fan club would love it. But because it is about UA's desire to grow at LAX many in the DL club are saying it can't happen UA's time has passed I guess it's to be expected, however; I completely disagree. While UA has had it share of problems ever since the merger I think last year from an operational stand point it was UA's best year.
It is no secret UA has been consolidating (shrinking) at LAX for years, but few people really understand why UA had to sacrificed (for lack of a better word) LAX for SFO. As a result of some bad decisions and the lack of resources (aircraft) UA had no choice, if they didn't sacrifice market share at LAX they would be in a far worst position on the West Coast. Faced with a very difficult reality and because we didn't have the aircraft to defend both LAX and SFO UA decided it was in their best interest to defend their position at SFO or perhaps face loosing both SFO and LAX. Looking at UA at SFO today I think UA's plan worked. UA's SFO hub is in a far better position today than it was in at the beginning of the merger and neither AA or DL can match UA's SFO Asian gateway. UA took a risk scaling back LAX to focus on SFO that risk seems to have paid off. Now the new management team wants to turn their attention back to LAX.

Starting next year UA is slated to begin taking deliveries of some version of Boeing's' 737MAX, UA has invested in a longevity program that is supposed to extend the life of the oldest A320/19's in our fleet and as far as I know except for the sUA p.s. 757's UA is not slated to retire massive numbers of narrow body aircraft. If UA is not retiring a large number of narrow body aircraft then once the MAX's start arriving UA's fleet should begin to grow and perhaps UA can start to close the narrow body gap that currently exist between UA, and AA/DL.
With all of the construction and expansion happening at LAX is would be foolish for UA to just sit on the sidelines and let this opportunity pass by. While both AA and DL have a head start on their LAX expansion projects it is good to know UA is not just giving up on LAX. Although it will take years for a new terminal to be built UA already has 22 gates that they can optimize and if necessary they can go back and renegotiate with LAWA for additional gate space if and/or when any additional gates become available.

If UA can maintain their current market share at SFO and increase their market share at LAX then what many people saw as a mistake may actually work in UA's favor.

JHwk

Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:13 am

It would seem to me to make more sense to extend the Sepulveda tunnel to Lincoln and rebuild T8 where the Post Way buildings are now so they could improve taxiway access and have a double-loaded concourse. I have trouble imagining how the T9 location can be effective for access.

commavia

Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:14 pm

Flighty wrote:
I get a whiff of feeling that Scott Kirby has something personal invested in showing up AAL on behalf of UAL and their great history at LAX. But I do not believe U has the ability to beat a committed AA at LAX. Is this another ORD situation? IMO United will not have the backbone to achieve even that. Nor should they. Fares are going to be low at LAX for the next 7-8 years while this works itself out.

AA needs LAX as an Asian hub while it is not essential for UA. AA can afford to achieve it no matter what United has to say about it. However many billions they mutually put into a fare war the result is going to be the same. Anyway, when titans clash, the consumer wins!

I generally agree. Though nobody personally involved would ever admit it out loud, I do believe there could be some personal investment here by Scott Kirby given his last job, and in particular given his purported close involvement with AA's plans at LAX before he left.

SESGDL wrote:
All the more reason for UA to try to hit back at AA. While UA's dominance over the Pacific is not contested by AA's recent buildup at LAX, this is United's chance to stop any further growth for AA.

I think the point being made above, though, was that this isn't really a chance for United to "stop any further growth for AA." This won't do that. United adding a few gates at a hypothetical T9 5-10 years from now is hardly going to stop AA from further longhaul growth out of LAX if it so chooses. Indeed, my personal expectation is that AA does, indeed, still have some additional longhaul growth left out of LAX - but that it would likely be done, anyway, by the time United built a new terminal. I continue to believe that the only additional longhaul markets that are likely plausible and of sufficient strategic and network value for AA out of LAX at this point are ICN and possibly TPE and/or one additional route to Australia. And if some or all of those even actually end up coming to fruition for AA at LAX, I strongly suspect it will happen within five years. As such, I agree with the poster you quoted that if AA is going to grow it's LAX longhaul operation further, it's going to happen regardless of United or Scott Kirby.

SESGDL wrote:
LAX is AA's only shot at a West Coast TPAC hub, while both DL and UA have two (albeit of smaller scale for both DL and UA at LAX compared to SEA and SFO, respectively). If AA fails with its LAX efforts, AA will be forced to accept being a bit player in the market. Though seemingly successful from the outside, AA is very likely losing money at LAX over the Pacific. One needs to only look at the hyper-competitive market and rock bottom fares; although from a network perspective it's simply too important for AA to give up. UA has much less to lose given its overwhelming dominance as a result of its stellar hub network and the SFO TPAC superhub. UA refocusing on LAX could really make things difficult for AA.

I'm not sure sure about the relative economic performance of AA's longhaul flights out of LAX. While I have no doubt that on a standalone basis, some if not much of AA's transpacific network out of LAX is probably losing money or only marginally profitable at the moment, I think that has to be viewed more holistically, and in context. From a network perspective, in terms of the broader contribution to corporate accounts and global market access, AA almost certainly views the LAX longhaul network as a worthwhile long-term "investment," and investments typically take time to pay off. And to that end also, it must be remembered that most of AA's transpacific network out of LAX is, in airline terms, basically brand new. It obviously takes time to digest that kind of capacity, and get it to a point where it's more stable and profitable.

All that said, I understand and respect the broader argument being made, but I think the tone and characterization misses the larger point. AA doesn't have a "shot" at a West Coast transpacific hub - it already has a West Coast transpacific hub. Indeed, in the span of basically two years, AA has built the second largest transpacific hub on the West Coast with what by this year will be a total of seven daily widebodies nonstop across the Pacific, not to mention three additional daily widebodies to Europe and South America. That's already done, and "in the bag." Could AA still "fail" in the sense that it discontinues some or all of that flying and returns LAX to essentially a huge domestic operation plus a token longhaul presence? Sure, that's theoretically possible. But I think that's highly implausible at this point. Realistically, barring something really dramatic happening, I don't think there's any going back for AA at LAX - and, again, I think that's the case regardless of what United or Scott Kirby do or, for that matter, regardless of what Delta does at LAX or SEA. So given that, I think both United and Delta have to think about their counter-moves to AA in terms of how to have the biggest competitive impact at the lowest cost. United refocusing on providing a stronger overall schedule out of LAX seems logical, but doing so simply to dump capacity for the sole purpose of hurting AA is likely to be just as destructive, if not more so, to United as it would be to AA - which is why I doubt that's what United will do.

WA707atMSP

Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:02 pm

boilerla wrote:
hiflyeras wrote:

IIRC the T6 gates were reverting back to LAWA in 2018. UA may have wanted to keep them short term, but by 2018 those are LAWA's gates, so UA was sub-leasing them to AA for 2 years until LAWA got control.

I'm pretty sure UA gave up those gates completely, in exchange for AA giving UA two L-US gates at ORD, and AA has control from now on over who uses them - not LAWA.

VC10er

Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:27 pm

Shocked that nobody has asked if UA will put any 77W's at LAX and not all at SFO! All kidding aside, would this be an opportunity to use some of those A350's at LAX? IMHO, UA will need it's better premium product out of LAX to woo trans-Pacific premium fliers away from AA and DL.

Or is this LAX build-up mostly about 737's doing more domestic?
The world is missing love, let's use our flights to spread it!

SFOtoORD

Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:54 pm

WA707atMSP wrote:
boilerla wrote:
hiflyeras wrote:

I'm pretty sure UA gave up those gates completely, in exchange for AA giving UA two L-US gates at ORD, and AA has control from now on over who uses them - not LAWA.

They subleased them to AA and I believe UAs T6 lease goes until the middle of 2017.

diverdave

Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:55 pm

TWA772LR wrote:

"Soon"?

I expect that adverb is not at all applicable to the future T9.

edit: sorry, ldvaviation beat me to it. :)

klkla

Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:34 am

United is a day late and a dollar short at LAX. AA and DL have really made strides and set themselves up for the future while UA has let their market share slide and let go of gates. This so-called Terminal 9 would not happen for many years, if at all.

SFOtoORD

Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:59 am

klkla wrote:
United is a day late and a dollar short at LAX. AA and DL have really made strides and set themselves up for the future while UA has let their market share slide and let go of gates. This so-called Terminal 9 would not happen for many years, if at all.

Their 1% market share gap with DL is an impossible obstacle and thus they'll just wither down to a couple flights a day? Give me a break. No 1 airline will ever dominate LAX and combined with the huge O&D this airport will always be in play. DL has reversed course on a myriad of bad LAX decisions (Song to JFK anyone?) and have survived. Nothing different here. Not that it will be easy.

jetblastdubai

Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:22 am

What is the tentative date that the Eagle remote terminal will be scrapped and UA actually has access to the real estate? Does the current gate cap at LAX prohibit UA from using a few remote parking stands in the area before any construction begins? Even with as few as 3-5 remote parking spots, a short 5-minutes ride on a nice, Neoplan bus from the hard stand to T7 would help a lot with gate congestion as well as provide for a small increase in capacity.
Every zoo is a petting zoo......if you're a man!

airzona11

Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:27 am

LA is such a massive market, what an aviation enthusiasts dream airport/situation. The drawings of the future mid field concourses, are those are for Bradley international or could they be for domestic?

With airlines consolidating and JVs, it makes sense for UA to consolidate with those carriers. Glad to hear UA planning a push @ LAX. There is for sure room to increase the gauge of planes to maximize their current routes. More 77Gs on the LAX to EWR route can free up gates for more O+D destinations, some EMB175s to replace the remaining CR2s. A319/A320/73G/738->739s can squeeze for seats as well to reduce gate usage. This can all be done in conjunction with adding gates.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:06 pm

Another tidbit from Kirby in employee letter regarding recently announced domestic growth...

We are not adding any additional flying at LAX at this time because we need more gates before we can embark on a growth journey there. We are committed to LAX for the long game - exemplified through our recently remodeled and reopened United Club -- and we’re working hard to secure additional facilities that will give us the ability to compete vigorously. I believe in the future of LAX and its critical role as one of our hubs, and, as we are able to get commitments for more gates, I’m looking forward to growth in LAX.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

ldvaviation

Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:25 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
As long as United is dangling a billion dollar carrot for T9, LAWA can make it happen as soon as they want.

There is a capital spending plan.

To their credit, LAWA has largely followed the plan. Indeed, the T3 rebuild is as much the result of Delta's involvement as it is of LAWA's discipline to the plan.

Delta also benefited from the fact that it had a terminal to trade. What do you think that absent that trade LAWA would have evicted the other airlines for the sake of a billion dollars? Delta even had to cover the relocation and improvement costs for the airlines that had to move. That's the precedent here.

With that in mind, neither LAWA nor United have gates to replace the Eagle Terminal. Until the future of that terminal is resolved to AA's not United's benefit, a billion dollars will make no difference.

jetmatt777
Crew

Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:46 pm

ldvaviation wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

There is a capital spending plan.

To their credit, LAWA has largely followed the plan. Indeed, the T3 rebuild is as much the result of Delta's involvement as it is of LAWA's discipline to the plan.

Delta also benefited from the fact that it had a terminal to trade. What do you think that absent that trade LAWA would have evicted the other airlines for the sake of a billion dollars? Delta even had to cover the relocation and improvement costs for the airlines that had to move. That's the precedent here.

With that in mind, neither LAWA nor United have gates to replace the Eagle Terminal. Until the future of that terminal is resolved to AA's not United's benefit, a billion dollars will make no difference.

I doubt it. With the gate cap removed, LAWA and tenant airlines most likely see this as the best opportunity to finally get some things moving. Who knows when a gate cap might be pushed again by NIMBYs. While American likely wouldn't like to help United grow in LAX, it might be their best shot to finally have gates close to their operation. I'm sure delays for waiting for passengers, or even misconnect costs due to the bus ride can't be making AA happy with the current situation. I've used the facility several times as an O&D passenger, I can't imagine the stress of a tight-ish connection using the bus service.

If United is prepared to spend the money, I think LAWA can convince AA and DL to get things moving in the right direction. I think this is a window of opportunity that may not come around again should a gate cap be re-instituted.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

ldvaviation

Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:48 pm

jetblastdubai wrote:
What is the tentative date that the Eagle remote terminal will be scrapped and UA actually has access to the real estate? Does the current gate cap at LAX prohibit UA from using a few remote parking stands in the area before any construction begins? Even with as few as 3-5 remote parking spots, a short 5-minutes ride on a nice, Neoplan bus from the hard stand to T7 would help a lot with gate congestion as well as provide for a small increase in capacity.

There is no date for the Eagle terminal to be scraped.

The deal which LAWA reached with the neighborhood groups to lift the gate cap prohibits the use of remote or non-contact gates, other than those that already exist.

jetmatt777 wrote:
I doubt it. With the gate cap removed, LAWA and tenant airlines most likely see this as the best opportunity to finally get some things moving. Who knows when a gate cap might be pushed again by NIMBYs.

If United is prepared to spend the money, I think LAWA can convince AA and DL to get things moving in the right direction. I think this is a window of opportunity that may not come around again should a gate cap be re-instituted.

Has Kirby said how much United is willing to spend? (I wouldn't be surprised if he has underestimated the problem again.)

As to the gate cap, I doubt LAWA is nervous. It is a done deal. The deal to lift the gate cap gives LAWA the permission to build Terminal 9 and Concourse 0.

Moreover, it is not a question of AA standing in United's way of LAX "domination." Until perhaps 2020, a billion or so dollars of United (i.e., LAWA) money isn't going to create X-number of gates to replace the Eagle terminal. Even after 2020, you are looking at a situation where LAWA has a surplus of international gates to trade for domestic gates. I don't think LAWA wants to use the MSC gates for domestic flights, specifically by LCC's. The economics of the terminal (with its retail and club spaces) won't support that. So any trade at that point would hypothetically involve some combination of TBIT (South) and T5 gates for the Eagle facility.

Or, LAWA could decide and should decide to wait till Concourse 0 and the surplus of domestic gates that it will bring. As I indicated above, Concourse 0 might be complete by 2023. Over Terminal 9, Concourse 0 has the advantage that no airlines will be displaced to build it.

glbltrvlr

Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:51 pm

A bit dated, but drawings of ideas for what T9 could look like:

http://www.gpaarch.com/Projects/GPA-Arc ... nal-9.html

jetblastdubai

Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:58 pm

glbltrvlr wrote:
A bit dated, but drawings of ideas for what T9 could look like:

Excellent link. In the first proposal, the 8-gate linear terminal running parallel to T8 on the east side of Sepulveda looks to be actually very simple to build as it would disrupt almost nothing and very little demolition would be involved. The pedestrian bridge is a very cost-effective way to get pax to/from the main ticketing area and baggage claim without having to bus or build a separate ticketing terminal along Century, east of Sepulveda.

Scheme 5A and 9A look like congestion nightmares.

EA CO AS

Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:38 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
hiflyeras wrote:
Even AS/VX might be carrying more passengers in 5-10 years than UA out of LAX.

LAWA publishes ready data.

http://www.lawa.org/uploadedfiles/LAX/s ... r-2016.pdf

AS+VX in 2016 carried barely 1/2 of UA's traffic at LAX.

Check your math; from the aforementioned LAWA data:

AS = 4.29%
VX = 4.16%

UA = 14.84%

Last I checked, that meant AS/VX combined carried MORE than half of what UA did, and AS/VX are adding capacity to LAX, not shrinking it.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Zaqattaq787

Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:48 am

Chemist wrote:
SurfandSnow wrote:
UA not only has much more capable, efficient aircraft at its disposal today but also a much more competitive product. We are talking about an airline that has sucked it up on routes like LAX-BOS/DFW/MCO/PHX/PVG/SEA/SLC/YVR for years - in order to remain attractive to Angeleno FFers. I certainly don't think UA is afraid to jump back on routes like HKG, PHL, PDX, SJC and/or South Florida now that it has 787s, 737NGs and E-175s. There may even be new opportunities to consider, from a niche regional route like SAF to a popular long haul destination like TLV..
som

It would just be nice to get some mainline. Anytime I go somewhere on UA it seems I'm on an RJ when I would be mainline on other airlines.

And of course that's ignoring their new ULCC leaning in BE.

I'd rather be on a UA E170/75 with only one seat next to me and a quick boarding process with that gorgeous seat trim in economy than any 737/A320 on the US3 any day.

As LAX based and KrisFlyer I welcome this big news, although this could be a long time off. Hopefully more mainline transcons to places like PHL, deeper coverage west of ORD with RJs, and more transpac (HKG) + niche 787 (TLV, PUS, SGN) routes.
LAX

RyanairGuru

Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:10 am

Be very careful with LAWA statistics as they don't include regional partners. All three network carriers have higher market share at LAX than the headline stats suggest once you take that into account, although it is almost impossible to break down the exact numbers between the three without inside information as SkyWest, for example, fly for all three.

Adding in regional partners and UA probably is more than twice the size of AS/VX combined at LAX
Worked Hard, Flew Right

ILNFlyer

Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:00 pm

Newbiepilot wrote:
I feel like I have heard this before. United growing and shrinking LAX. When the economy is strong, UA wants to increase LAX. I remember the same story in 1997. Either way, good for the customers to have more options.

As the economy contracts or grows, companies must respond or get left behind to lose.

drdisque

Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:07 pm

UA stands a chance in LAX because they have hubs in so many of LAX's top markets to anchor their presence in LAX.

SFOtoORD

Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:01 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
Be very careful with LAWA statistics as they don't include regional partners. All three network carriers have higher market share at LAX than the headline stats suggest once you take that into account, although it is almost impossible to break down the exact numbers between the three without inside information as SkyWest, for example, fly for all three.

Adding in regional partners and UA probably is more than twice the size of AS/VX combined at LAX

Also, looking at ASMs would further separate the two carriers.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:10 pm

United will get some facility relief by the end of this year as more of its gates reopen as part of the T7/8 renovations. Eventually 4 more gates will be available for use that are rotationaly out of service..

Additionally for those that think UA squats on LAX facilities, it was posted internally the last month that LAX has least gate free time of among UA hubs, and also has the highest percentage of required tows to/from hangars to maximize gate usage.

codc10

Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:29 pm

LAXintl wrote:
United will get some facility relief by the end of this year as more of its gates reopen as part of the T7/8 renovations. Eventually 4 more gates will be available for use that are rotationaly out of service.

One questions the wisdom of subleasing out four T6 gates just as a similar number of gates were to be out of service for an extended period of time. Oh well, water under the proverbial bridge...

SonaSounds

Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:10 pm

UA has come out and said multiple times they don't plan on "hubbing" LAX like they do at SFO. They rather compete head to head on O&D routes then build connecting traffic. LAX is to big an animal to ever abandon. It's also to big to fully control. UA just needs to play this smart.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Thu May 18, 2017 8:46 pm

Not airport related, but announced today that United has purchased naming rights to the historic Los Angeles Coliseum for 15-years for $70mil.

United Airlines buying naming rights to L.A. Memorial Coliseum
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -coliseum/

=

TWA772LR

Thu May 18, 2017 8:48 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Not airport related, but announced today that United has purchased naming rights to the historic Los Angeles Coliseum for 15-years for $70mil.

United Airlines buying naming rights to L.A. Memorial Coliseum
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -coliseum/

=

That's great and all, but it won't really pay off unless LA gets the Olympics.
Eat 'em up Kats!

OA412
Crew

Thu May 18, 2017 9:17 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
That's great and all, but it won't really pay off unless LA gets the Olympics.

It wouldn't pay off under such a scenario because the IOC wouldn't allow them to use the branded name anyway. It would just be called the LA Coliseum during any potential Olympics.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

ldvaviation

Thu May 18, 2017 11:14 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:

That's no longer the case, I think.

Taco2sDay

Fri May 19, 2017 12:07 am

UAs LAX ship has sailed. Keep SFO the hub and focus on business markets from LAX.

grbauc

Fri May 19, 2017 2:15 am

LAXintl wrote:
Another tidbit from Kirby in employee letter regarding recently announced domestic growth...

We are not adding any additional flying at LAX at this time because we need more gates before we can embark on a growth journey there. We are committed to LAX for the long game - exemplified through our recently remodeled and reopened United Club -- and we’re working hard to secure additional facilities that will give us the ability to compete vigorously. I believe in the future of LAX and its critical role as one of our hubs, and, as we are able to get commitments for more gates, I’m looking forward to growth in LAX.

And many of us said there main plane(plan) with the previous announcement "was/is to change the narrative at lax" and that has been proven.
Last edited by grbauc on Fri May 19, 2017 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

grbauc

Fri May 19, 2017 2:41 am

LAXintl wrote:
United will get some facility relief by the end of this year as more of its gates reopen as part of the T7/8 renovations. Eventually 4 more gates will be available for use that are rotationaly out of service..

Additionally for those that think UA squats on LAX facilities, it was posted internally the last month that LAX has least gate free time of among UA hubs, and also has the highest percentage of required tows to/from hangars to maximize gate usage.

For me this is obvious from flying on them and from the eyeball test their cram packed at all their gates.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Fri May 19, 2017 3:24 am

We should be hearing about a new UA international route out of LAX soon..

jetblastdubai

Fri May 19, 2017 3:07 pm

LAXintl wrote:
We should be hearing about a new UA international route out of LAX soon..

"New" or "renewed"?

klwright69

Fri May 19, 2017 4:47 pm

Does anybody know what this new route is going to be? Is it certain or rumor?

LAXintl
Topic Author

Fri May 19, 2017 10:30 pm

Not rumor. Was stated at recent townhall. Public announcement "end of May"

strfyr51

Sat May 20, 2017 3:35 am

jfklganyc wrote:
On a grander scale, reminds me of TWA at JFK when they decided to grow to the Caribbean. Too little too late.

Why would UA now decide to build up LAX after years of decline? To compete with 2 other airlines?

They have a giant, uncontested hub up the road and will maintain an O and D-based (sans JFK) operation at LAX. The days of a dual west coast giant hub strategy are over.

And you know this HOW?? It's about TIME to do it !! We Should build a terminal at JFK as well !! Never should have Left there! Especially to consolidate at EWR!

klwright69

Sat May 20, 2017 6:02 am

A new international route from LAX. Hmm.
I am guessing it might be another southern hemisphere route.
EWR-EZE was just announced. Summer of 2018 is a year away.
The time to announce a new long haul route for the winter is now.

STT757

Fri May 26, 2017 9:21 pm

Any news? If I were to guess I would say Brisbane, with a possibility of moving Auckland from SFO to LAX and going back to year round. Besides those two what about GRU and or BOG?
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

jayunited

Sat May 27, 2017 12:22 am

STT757 wrote:
Any news? If I were to guess I would say Brisbane, with a possibility of moving Auckland from SFO to LAX and going back to year round. Besides those two what about GRU and or BOG?

So far there has been no news, the town hall did reference the end of May so we still have a few days in this month, we will see if UA does announce anything official. Whatever routes they are looking at out of LAX they are keeping them under tight wraps, even people here at WHQ are playing the guessing game. Outside on the town hall meeting announcing the intent to announce new international routes UA has kept this extremely quite.
So if I were to guess I would say either BNE, or HKG would be the routes UA is looking at.

11725Flyer

Sat May 27, 2017 1:40 am

strfyr51 wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:
On a grander scale, reminds me of TWA at JFK when they decided to grow to the Caribbean. Too little too late.

Why would UA now decide to build up LAX after years of decline? To compete with 2 other airlines?

They have a giant, uncontested hub up the road and will maintain an O and D-based (sans JFK) operation at LAX. The days of a dual west coast giant hub strategy are over.

And you know this HOW?? It's about TIME to do it !! We Should build a terminal at JFK as well !! Never should have Left there! Especially to consolidate at EWR!

It sounds like an opinion to me. Perhaps the poster is right, or not. I happen to think that UA will figure out a way to grow at LAX.

But please, DON'T yell at us with YOUR comments. We're all capable of reading without CAPITAL letters.

Okay?

klwright69

Sat May 27, 2017 6:31 am

How could UA remind you of TW? TW was a dying company. That's a poor comparison.

SATexan

Sun May 28, 2017 7:26 am

I am not sure what sort of a comeback Scott Kirby has in mind.

A huge but fragmented and highly competitive market like greater Los Angeles already has pretty much all geographic areas across the world covered with non stop flights. The massive domestic O&D is splintered across multiple airports. Southwest dominates the secondary airports in the area - Burbank, Orange County and Ontario (including this under LAWA just for the present discussion), while maintaining a competitive network out of LAX. JetBlue has near total monopoly in Long Beach. AA, DL and UA all have a pretty decent route network out of LAX with no carrier in absolute dominant position. The lineup of foreign carriers at LAX is already mighty impressive.

I understand UA can acquire a few gates and add some flights. But given the level of competition at LAX itself (Heck, you've got Spirit, Virgin America and even Allegiant), I am not sure if it is worth the investment. Especially if the investment is in the tune of a billion dollars for a new terminal. And, if they get too cute with their network out of LAX there is a chance of cannibalizing their SFO yields.

grbauc

Sun May 28, 2017 8:02 am

I honestly feel it will be a long time before United Airlines starts cannibalizing SFO from LAX I think the ground they gave up will have to be won back and will happen if it ever does most likely during a down tourn of a competitor

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos