Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jakubz

Re: New Members Posting For First Time

Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:44 pm

So I'm wondering will this be for new members going forward, or will it include people who have recently had their first post. I signed up for a photo account several years ago and only started posting recently.

Would this affect someone like me?

qf789

Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:11 am

jakubz wrote:
So I'm wondering will this be for new members going forward, or will it include people who have recently had their first post. I signed up for a photo account several years ago and only started posting recently.

Would this affect someone like me?

It would only apply to new members. Once a membership fee is introduced it would apply to new members who join after that date.

keesje

Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:33 pm

So there are members with split personalities, interesting. :covereyes: A good and a bad one, an A and B fanboy. They could even insult themselves or applaud. :eyebrow:

Thanks moderators checking this out & keeping everything under control. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

SkyVoice

Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:22 am

That works!

WyNmColo

Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:17 am

Long time lurker, first time poster. Figured I show get the post out of the way now!

WIederling

Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:52 pm

audidudi wrote:
Then why not use Google Translation, or something similar, before posting, thus making your English and grammar perfect!

That'd be hilarious ( just from munging domain specific vocabulary only ).

Then:
Customer: May I become a beefsteak please?
Waiter: Sure, just follow me to the kitchen.

Jamlinx

Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:33 am

Does that apply to all first posts or only new threads?

acinvestigator

Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:22 am

How many posts from new members will need to be approved?

I just made my second post but that is awaiting approval.

This will be my third post and I'm about to press the 'SUBMIT' button as an experiment to see if this will also need approval.

atcsundevil

Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:23 am

acinvestigator wrote:
How many posts from new members will need to be approved?

I just made my second post but that is awaiting approval.

This will be my third post and I'm about to press the 'SUBMIT' button as an experiment to see if this will also need approval.
Jamlinx wrote:
Does that apply to all first posts or only new threads?

Your first two posts must be approved before going live.

acinvestigator

Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:24 am

Thank you.

rubiohiguey

Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:01 pm

cougar15 wrote:
ZeeZoo wrote:
all I can say is please bring back premium. someone with serious intent on this site will surely not mind a few bucks! on that note, fully agreee with Pats point of course!

Well I for one did not pay to post some responses even if they were helpful and I contacted the posters via PM to give them the information or advice directly. I don't believe that for me to give out helpful information or advice I have to pay. I appreciate the decision of new management to make posting free.

frankly73

Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:31 pm

Been lurking as a reader since 2002. I've seen a lot of good info posted and a lot of misinformation posted over the years Like another poster stated, for the few number of times I would post per year, it wouldn't be worth the price of admission. Now, at least if there is something I think is important enough to reply to, I can.

SenrabDivad

Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:17 pm

rubiohiguey wrote:
cougar15 wrote:
ZeeZoo wrote:
all I can say is please bring back premium. someone with serious intent on this site will surely not mind a few bucks! on that note, fully agreee with Pats point of course!

Well I for one did not pay to post some responses even if they were helpful and I contacted the posters via PM to give them the information or advice directly. I don't believe that for me to give out helpful information or advice I have to pay. I appreciate the decision of new management to make posting free.

I have to concur with Rubio: I've shied away from posting here because of the pay model. Many times I've seen a thread on which I have personal knowledge or experience, or wanted to ask a question to further the discussion, but the fee-based model drove me away from involvement.

I understand ZeeZoo's concerns, but think there's some merit to both sides of the coin. On the one hand, the fee model keeps any idiot with a keyboard from posting tripe. But it does keep some with knowledge, experience, and interest sitting on the sidelines.

NesNes

Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:44 am

Hello,

I'm new here. I'd like to know if I can post as I have questions I'd like to ask (fearful flyer).

Thanks very much.

qf789

Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:01 am

NesNes wrote:
Hello,

I'm new here. I'd like to know if I can post as I have questions I'd like to ask (fearful flyer).

Thanks very much.

Welcome to A.net. Yes you a free to post on here. Please note that your first 2 posts (as with all new users) will need to be approved by a moderator

NesNes

Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:27 pm

That's great thanks:)

Can you please explain how I go about starting a thread? I'm unable to do so at the moment.

Concordski

Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:16 am

I'd like to see the $25 posting fee reinstated. Span was low back when I joined when there was a fee.

United1

Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:40 pm

Concordski wrote:
I'd like to see the $25 posting fee reinstated. Span was low back when I joined when there was a fee.

I agree completely...the issue with free membership on this site is it's an open invitation for trolls and spammers to do as they please as there is no penalty. If they get banned they just create a new gmail account and user name and keep on trolling.

There needs to be some sort of incentive to care about this site and the content otherwise its going to continue to decline.

LCKip

New Members Posting For First Time

Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:07 am

Concordski wrote:

$25 posting fee? No way!! I agree with a payed membership but there must be some profit for the members. Viewing/downlaoding photos without watermark and advertisement free forums are two of them. However, I don't see it happen that photos are free of watermark because photographers won't agree. And for advetisements I have a solution which works: adblock plus!

r2rho

Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:55 am

Please bring back the old 20$ fee to join the site, plus the Optional paid subscription. It guaranteed a Minimum Quality of the Posts here.

The first big drop in the Quality of the Forums was in fact when the Membership fee was dropped. The second was the web redesign whihc ultimately alienated the users.
Many old timers have abandoned this site to never come back, but you may still save those who remain if you revert to the old paid model.

ASQ400

Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:29 am

I'm not a big fan of this measure, but I guess a big site like A.net needs it

enzedder

Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:58 am

r2rho wrote:
Please bring back the old 20$ fee to join the site, plus the Optional paid subscription. It guaranteed a Minimum Quality of the Posts here.

The first big drop in the Quality of the Forums was in fact when the Membership fee was dropped. The second was the web redesign whihc ultimately alienated the users.
Many old timers have abandoned this site to never come back, but you may still save those who remain if you revert to the old paid model.

Totally agree. I am more than frustrated about the loss of 'expertise' of posts. So annoyed that it is half the fun to visit this site. And there is a two week old post that has now 2,064 replies. That is ridiclous.

EW85122

Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:57 pm

OK, "Law is Law", so this is my first post in special place for first posts.
EW-85122 is the registration number of old Tupolev-154B aircraft (produced in 1975, retired in 90-s). Now this arcraft in good condition installed in Minsk Civil Aviation Academy, and used as "training mockup" for students, future aircraft mechanics. It's was my first aircraft, which I touch not as passenger, but with tools and lockwire)

Floridaramp815

Fri May 19, 2017 2:01 pm

Thanks for adding me and I look forward to this group a lot. I'm brand new to the industry. Very excited INDEED✈️

PatrickZ80

Thu May 25, 2017 9:21 am

atcsundevil wrote:
Your first two posts must be approved before going live.

What if a new member only makes one post? Assuming that it is a legitime post (no junk), will it be approved anyway? Or would the new user have to make a second post in order for them to go live?

atcsundevil

Thu May 25, 2017 10:39 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
What if a new member only makes one post? Assuming that it is a legitime post (no junk), will it be approved anyway? Or would the new user have to make a second post in order for them to go live?

A user's account is not clear to go active without post approval until two posts have been approved, and their account credentials have been reviewed by a moderator. Only after the second post approval are they cleared to post freely.

ukjohna

Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:16 pm

I have posted a couple of times over the past few weeks. The first while sitting on the taxiway during the BA/LHR debacle and more recently on the BA World tails thread. Neither post was accepted. What gives?

Theppitak

Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:40 am

It is useful to subscribe to premium members to post.

Super80Fan

Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:26 am

Long time lurker (even back to the old site) but finally decided to get an account. Currently learning the ropes and hope to have a job in the industry someday. For now, I'm just a fan/semi-frequent flier!

CrawleyBen

Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:46 pm

Hello all

Ben here, have worked at Gatwick Airport for the past 14 years (soon to be 15). Have a interest in civil aviation (mostly Gatwick related). Have enjoyed reading through some of the various threads in respect of Gatwick, and the various airlines that operate to/from it, cheers.

Ben

LTU1011

Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:18 am

Long time lurker - I was infected with the god of aviation at an early age when I had the chance to visit my profile handle's cockpit (actually not the first time - LTU's Sud Aviation Caravelle was my premier opportunity). Here's to some thoughtful conversation and insight to be gained from fellow posters. T

husseydemm

Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:13 am

Hello everyone!
My name is Hüseyin, and i'd like to be a pilot. Could you give some useful information how could i start?
I'm a rookie, sorry for that, but thanks every reply.
Have a nice day

Thongkon007

Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:45 am

Hi, i'm new member can reply to this post thanks

PegasUS92

Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:40 pm

Hello,
Long time visitor, signed up in the previous 72 hours. Glad to be among a.net's community.

N907AW

Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:20 pm

Just checking in the for the first time. I like the idea of checking a new member's first post to help prevent spam

-HP

mrofinder

Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:03 pm

Appreciate the idea.

SixPapaCharlie

Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:45 pm

Hi I'm new.
I don't see a section where we are supposed to introduce ourselves if that is a requirement.

I created my account years ago but only just discovered the forum.

I am having trouble locating a place to upload my avatar.
I went to the FAQ but the section on avatar uploading did not seem to agree with what I saw on the profile settings.

SixPapaCharlie

Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:56 pm

NM, I found it :)

qf789

Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:00 pm

SixPapaCharlie wrote:
Hi I'm new.
I don't see a section where we are supposed to introduce ourselves if that is a requirement.

I created my account years ago but only just discovered the forum.

I am having trouble locating a place to upload my avatar.
I went to the FAQ but the section on avatar uploading did not seem to agree with what I saw on the profile settings.

Welcome to anet

There is no introduction thread at the moment though that is being considered currently by the moderators.

To add you avatar do the following

Go to Airliners.net homepage
Click on menu icon in top right hand corner
A menu will open on the left
Go to my account
Then go Settings
Choose the file for your avatar and then scroll to bottom and save

masonh2479

Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:50 pm

Hello All,

My name is Mason and I've been a lurker for around 6 months, figured I should create an account :) . I'm a Boeing fanboy, took the tour in Everett twice. I am in pursuit of my ppl in the good ole C172. I am a long time plane spotter along with my father. Born and raised in Austin(TX), hence interested in everything Austin aviation. Living in Wisconsin now missing tex mex and bbq.

Nice to meet you all!

jetmechanicdave

Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:02 pm

Welcome Mason, we are glad you're here.

MedFlyerArg

Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:52 pm

Hello people!

My name's Gonzalo, I'm from Buenos Aires - Argentina. Long time lurker and I'm figuring out how the site works. I'm a medical doctor so both medicine and aviation are my true passions. Hope to share info and my trip reports from deep SA. Nice to meet you!

Bigstud69

Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:42 am

moderators wrote:
Hi Everyone

In light of some recent spam attacks on both the forums and accounts being set up pretending to be someone else, the Moderators, along with our Community Manager and Developer at Leaf Group (formally Demand Media) have decided that all new members will need to have their first forum post approved.

The Moderators, Community Manager and Developer at Leaf Group are going to work together over the next while to look into other options to remove/reduce the risk of spam posts/spam members.

If you are a new member to our forums, then welcome and thank you for your patience and understanding. This new requirement will increase the Moderators work load here at airliners.net as we screen first posts, but I'm sure you'll all enjoy seeing less spam posts as we work to remove members who simply shouldn't be posting here.

If anyone has any questions/concerns, then as always please feel free to contact us at moderators@airliners.net.

On behalf of the Airliners.net Moderators

777ER
Head Forum Moderator

I still can't post without approval.

SomebodyInTLS

Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:24 pm

Random thought - is it possible to kind-of unsubscribe to a thread I once posted in many months ago? I'm still getting things like the A350 production thread showing up in my alerts and "your posts" feed when I really don't care about MSN#xxx has rolled out of the paint hangar while MSN#xxx+1 was seen taxiing yesterday... :yawn:

Revelation

Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:18 pm

SomebodyInTLS wrote:
Random thought - is it possible to kind-of unsubscribe to a thread I once posted in many months ago? I'm still getting things like the A350 production thread showing up in my alerts and "your posts" feed when I really don't care about MSN#xxx has rolled out of the paint hangar while MSN#xxx+1 was seen taxiing yesterday... :yawn:

Did you try clicking on the gear-shaped icon at the top of the thread's page (next to "+Post reply") and selecting 'Unsubscribe topic'?

SomebodyInTLS

Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:07 pm

Revelation wrote:
SomebodyInTLS wrote:

Did you try clicking on the gear-shaped icon at the top of the thread's page (next to "+Post reply") and selecting 'Unsubscribe topic'?

Nope - because I never subscribed in the first place... just posted there once.

If I click that settings button I only get the option to subscribe, not unsubscribe.

Revelation

Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:51 pm

SomebodyInTLS wrote:
Revelation wrote:
SomebodyInTLS wrote:

If I click that settings button I only get the option to subscribe, not unsubscribe.

Interesting.

It seems any thread from the "old" forum software that is still alive considers everyone who posted to it as a subscriber.

Perhaps subscribing then unsubscribing will force the software to do the right thing?

SheikhDjibouti

Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:38 am

SomebodyInTLS wrote:
Revelation wrote:
SomebodyInTLS wrote:

I agree with Rev's first thought; try subscribe, then unsubscribe.
Is it a regular feature, or just an occasional glitch ?
If it is the latter, I'm going to try a little experiment with something from the beyond the grave; a very dead thread...... :devil:
Let me know how it goes, eh?

SomebodyInTLS

Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:47 am

In fact I did subscribe and unsubscribe... and it's still in my list.

Edit: I'm not sure if the one I see today (A350 in-service thread) is the one I did that toggle on or if it was the A350 production thread. I've now toggled the in-service thread (again) - so if it still shows up then I'm certain that trick doesn't work.

By the way, I was not a member in the old forum, so that's not the issue either.

SomebodyInTLS

Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:10 am

SomebodyInTLS wrote:
I'm not sure if the one I see today (A350 in-service thread) is the one I did that toggle on or if it was the A350 production thread. I've now toggled the in-service thread (again) - so if it still shows up then I'm certain that trick doesn't work.

The production thread was in my "your posts" list as well... so it doesn't work.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos